OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='ajumbaje']can you list what all of it is or is this a pic from stuff you got last week or weeks before[/QUOTE]

sorry - post updated with list and story

this day might get even better

I just got a call from a lady i met at a garage sale a few weeks ago. She was browsing the sale when she heard me ask the person running it if she had any old games. She pulled me to the side and we exchanged numbers after she told me she had a couple of boxes of old systems and games. I called he last week and she told me she was putting it all together and checking for the plugs and stuff. Well, she called me back and we're meeting at 7:00 to see if we can strike up a deal

Nice score, especially the Turbo stuff.
[quote name='snotknocker']She comes out with a box and I see the atari, N64, genny and I start sifting thru the box looking totally uninterested (I'm working my magic here) I say to the one lady (cause the other lady went in the house) - Wow! does anybody even play this stuff anymore it's so old. She's like i don't know it's been laying around here forever - I just want to get rid of it . just then the other lady comes out with a tub and say's i found some more. Still looking uninterested i say ok let me see what you got there. The tub had the TG and games and tons of wires so I slowly look thru everything and then ask the lady "how much for all this junk - maybe i can get my kid to play some of this cause I'm seriously getting tired of spending $60 on those X-box games"[/quote]
Do you find the uninterested/non-chalant attitude works better than the general-friendly attitude? Also, do you change your demeanor depending on the type of person running the sale? We're usually just plain friendly, but thinking about it, the "this stuff is all junk" attitude might be a smarter plan of attack for the older moms that don't know the value of anything.

[quote name='snotknocker']this day might get even better

I just got a call from a lady i met at a garage sale a few weeks ago. She was browsing the sale when she heard me ask the person running it if she had any old games. She pulled me to the side and we exchanged numbers after she told me she had a couple of boxes of old systems and games. I called he last week and she told me she was putting it all together and checking for the plugs and stuff. Well, she called me back and we're meeting at 7:00 to see if we can strike up a deal[/quote]
This just inspired us to call one of the numbers that we've been sitting on since April. This woman said that she had a ton of stuff in her basement (they were her husbands), and when we just called back she reiterated this along with "You have no idea how much stuff there is!". But she has to wait for her husband to get home from work, so who knows. I always worry about price in situations like this. It's harder to bargain when you actually call them up and drive over to their house. But we'll see what happens.

[quote name='snotknocker']this day might get even better

I just got a call from a lady i met at a garage sale a few weeks ago. She was browsing the sale when she heard me ask the person running it if she had any old games. She pulled me to the side and we exchanged numbers after she told me she had a couple of boxes of old systems and games. I called he last week and she told me she was putting it all together and checking for the plugs and stuff. Well, she called me back and we're meeting at 7:00 to see if we can strike up a deal[/quote]

[quote name='evilmax17']This just inspired us to call one of the numbers that we've been sitting on since April. This woman said that she had a ton of stuff in her basement (they were her husbands), and when we just called back she reiterated this along with "You have no idea how much stuff there is!". But she has to wait for her husband to get home from work, so who knows. I always worry about price in situations like this. It's harder to bargain when you actually call them up and drive over to their house. But we'll see what happens.[/quote]

Oh, man. This oughta be good.

[quote name='evilmax17']
Do you find the uninterested/non-chalant attitude works better than the general-friendly attitude? Also, do you change your demeanor depending on the type of person running the sale? We're usually just plain friendly, but thinking about it, the "this stuff is all junk" attitude might be a smarter plan of attack for the older moms that don't know the value of anything.[/QUOTE]

Remember this : you only have one chance to make a first impression.

I'm finding out it always pays to be friendly up front with a nice hello and a couple of key phrases like "well you picked a beautiful day for a yardsale" or if it's overcast say something like " I hope the weather holds out for you today" It always softens people up especially women if they have little kids when you compliment the children with a phrase like "what a little angel" or what a handsome young lad you have there . If the kids are selling ice tea or lemonade always buy a cup and give them a tip and make sure the parent sees you. Say something to the kid like here's a tip for such nice service.

It really depends on the situation on weather or not I'll show great interest in something. i usually lean towards showing little interest in anything. i try to work it so it looke like I'm doing them a justice by buying the stuff they no longer want.

Sometimes I can get get a feel for what I'm up against by looking at the prices on non-gaming stuff at the sales. For instance if I see a coffee pot priced at $10 as opposed to $1 or a picture frame priced at $3 instead of .50. i can pretty much tell if the seller is reasonable or unreasonable.

The older moms are somewhat easier to play. They tend to have no sense of value on gaming related stuff. Sometimes you can turn the situation in your favor by making them think that there gaming stuff is of little value. With phrase's like "wow this stuff is older then dirt" " i guess nobody wants this kind of stuff anymore, i see this kinda stuff at all the yardsales I go to" Or "maybe my son or nephew might play this .... er uh ....i don't know they're all into that new xbox stuff" If you could just get it into the sellers head that there is no demand or value to their stuff you're setting yourself up for the bargain deal. In most cases they really want to get rid of it , cause no one is using it and it's just collecting dust.

If you show a strong interest in something the seller will try and hold you to a higher price cause they know you want it. IMO it's best to show little interest.

People like to be stroked a little it makes them feel good. If you can manage that with the people you're dealing you'll come out a winner. I always put on a facade when I'm yardsaling, cause actually I don't care if it rains on their yardsale or if their kid is cute or if they have a nice day or not. i just pretend I do, I want to try and hustle them out of something I want for the lowest price possible. I'm not trying to mean or anything but I work for a living, I don't have an abundance of cash and I should get the most I can for my money. I know what fair and reasonable pricing is on stuff, but I'm not in this for the fair and reasonable, I'm in this for the ridiclously cheap, and realistically these are strangers we're dealing with, most of which we'll never see again.

I don't know if this approach can work for everybody, but it works for me as evidenced by some of the deals I've gotten. The more yardsaling you do the easier it becomes to develope your own rhytym kind of speak. You eventually learn from mistakes and capitalize next time around. You'll develope a style that works for you and once you know it works the only thing you can do is improve on it to get better cheaper scores.

good points snotknocker.

I find that I've been getting a lot of questions about why I want game stuff....I usually say something like "well, my nephew likes them" or something involving a nephew or someone who likes gaming and whose birthday is coming up. Total lie, but whatever, I'm not wasting my gas and time to give them ebay prices.

If they peg me as a collector or ebayer, I tell them the truth "yep, gotta raise spending money for the next semester" ;)

[quote name='snotknocker']actually I don't care if it rains on their yardsale or if their kid is cute or if they have a nice day or not. i just pretend I do, I want to try and hustle them out of something I want for the lowest price possible. [/quote]:cold: but true!

Bad luck these last two weeks. Every time I've seen any game cases they are always empty. I can't understand why they sell the empty cases and throw the games in the trash!

damn you snot, i figured i had a good weekend, but you squashed me again lol.

picked up 3 ps1 for 3.00 each
kind cool went to 3 houses next to each other picked up one at each along with a genesis model 3

vice city guide book, some starwars game for the ps1 with book 1.00
simpsons puzzle .25

and my deal of my life so far an xbox for 30 dollars and it works perfect
had 3 games a wireless controler and a s controller

i have changed my whole outlook on ys this year i am out for profit
last year was to add all the sysytems to my collection

this year i buy knowing i can turn a profit and get xbox and ps2 games collection up

i already sold the xbox to a buddy for 80 so i am happy
oh yeah bought halo2 for 4 dollars disc only but i had the limited edition set without the game, long story very long

[quote name='camelking6969']damn you snot, i figured i had a good weekend, but you squashed me again lol.[/QUOTE]

and you did'nt even see what I picked up at my 7:00 meeting

it feels like this is turning into "how to con people out of their so called junk"

morals dont exist here in the yard sale thread i guess

im not trying to start anything but it seems a little far to start calling the items you want "junk" just to get a cheaper price....and on top of it to have people think thats a good idea...what the hell:roll:

100_0416.jpg.w300h225.jpg

100_0415.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Well I met with the lady she had the goods all boxed. I went through everything slowly. My wife came with me and the 2 of them exchanged friendly chatter. I knew immediately I wanted everything. After seeing games like FF3, Gunstar Heroes, Mario RPG and a NIB Sega 32X. I had a figure in my head - $100.

This is the breakdown I'll try for an actual title list in the near future.

Systems all complete with many extra controllers, memory cards, expansion packs, storage cases, power pad, guns etc.

Atari 2600
Atari 5200
NES
SNES
N64
Genesis 2
Genesis 32X NIB

Games many complete SNES, N64 and NES, also big stack of manuals.
These are qty's per system. I may be off by a couple - give or take
I counted them quickly.

NES - 70
SNES - 40
2600 - 90
5200 - 35
N64 - 20
Genesis - 30
Master System -15

I asked the lady how much for everything and she responded with make me an offer. I'm no fool and I could tell she had a figure in mind. So I said you must have a figure in mind what is it? She comes back with $175. I grimace and tell her I'll go $100. Mind you all this stuff was well taken care of and in meticulous condition, no dirt dust or anything. She comes back with $125. I try to push her to the $100 mark 2 or 3 more times, but i could tell she has some idea of what the stuff is worth since she bought most of it for her son. i cave admitting that $125 is a good deal. After I'm loaded up and prepare to part she tells me she thinks that there are a couple more boxes of stuff and when she finds it she'll call me to come and pick it up. It seems like a lot of cash to drop all at once but there are quite a few things i wanted for my collection and more then enough stuff that I can turn to make my money back. All in all i think I really made. However the Secret of Mana still eludes me.

[quote name='Jedi1979']it feels like this is turning into "how to con people out of their so called junk"

morals dont exist here in the yard sale thread i guess

im not trying to start anything but it seems a little far to start calling the items you want "junk" just to get a cheaper price....and on top of it to have people think thats a good idea...what the hell:roll:[/QUOTE]

Con is an accurate term. It's all about wheeling and dealing. buying a house, buying a car, sports memoriabelia, comic books etc. You always try to point out flaws and haggle to get a good price. I have morals but I'm somewhat frugal when it comes to buying video games. Lots of people here do not have a ton of cash to pay legitimate prices to boost their collection. Lots of people here probably turn a lot of their finds into extra cash for things like school books, food, car insurance, gas etc. I'm not looking for any approvals for my methods, I'm just trying to hook up some fellow cheapasses. Your convictions seem to be greater then mine when it comes to this kind of thing. More power to you.

Finds this weekend:

1 USB floppy drive $1
1 trackball mouse $1
Zelda Gameboy game $0.50
1 American McGee's Alice $1
1 boxed, working Dreamcast
1 unboxed, nonworking dreamcast
1 Saga Frontier 2
1 Battletoads (Gen)
$12

I only hit one addition this weekend, which was on Friday morning. It also turns out that I started out on the wrong side of it too. I got the first 4 items on one side. I passed on a SNES with a bunch of games. Nothing I needed, plus I already have two SNES. I hit up this one sale near the end of this addition and found the best sale of the day. The boxed Dreamcast includes a controller, vmu, gun, and house of the dead 2 in the system. The lady said the the broken dreamcast was a bonus. I haven't had a chance to test it. I also grabbed a two of the better games there. I asked about dreamcast games and she said they had been bought earlier in the morning.

Unfortunately, I got a little something extra as well. I spend all of Friday evening and Saturday in the bathroom. So I've been a little too tired to get pictures. I don't know where I came down with that bug, but that was not fun.

[quote name='snotknocker']However the Secret of Mana still eludes me.[/quote]

Don't lose hope.

This was part of a recent thrift store purchase:
mana.jpg

[quote name='moiety']Wow, that's in excellent shape. How much did you get it for?[/quote]

It was a part of a bundle. I posted it here a while back in a thread of its own. There was an SNES with hookups and two controllers and 15 games, also including FFII (all mint like this) for $75.00. I didn't want to CIF or haggle too much cause it was a nice old lady in thrift store benefiting other nice old ladies, but I did manage to get five dollars off since I get so much stuff there.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87681&highlight=snes

[quote name='Cambot']Don't lose hope.

This was part of a recent thrift store purchase:
mana.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Do you have to twist the knife after you stick it in?#-o JK

[quote name='snotknocker']Do you have to twist the knife after you stick it in?#-o JK[/quote]

Haha. Well, if this were a knife fight, then I lose.

I actually made my first Goodwill score today. I've been hitting this place up by my job twice a week for the last 3 weeks on my lunch break and nothing but a couple of old ps1 sports games. I was leaving the store today thinking this place is a total bust when a N64 box caught my eye on one of the toy shelves. Low and behold it's Goldeneye complete. It's marked $1.99, when I check out the lady rings it up for $1.06 total. Although a popular and mass produced title, this was another game that had eluded me for quite some time.

You .....fuckers.

People getting all sorts of great shit.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if I ever meet any of you in real life, I am going to punch you in the face and steal whatever games I can find in your basements.

:)

I'm just speakin out of envy......brutal, pulsating envy.

Not exactly, a yardsale, but I used "Cash In Face" for the first time this weekend. I was shopping at EB when three kids and their dad came in to try and trade a bag of SNES games. Of course EB wouldn't take them and the kid's seem pretty disappointed because they didn't have enough to buy two games then (Buy 2 get 1 free was going on).

Well, I asked them what they had. Here's what was in the bag (all cart only):

Mega Man X2
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario World
Killer Instinct
Bugs Bunny: Rabbit Rampage
Batman Returns
The Death & Return Of Superman
Spider-Man/X-Men
Lion King
Power Rangers: The Movie

I told them I'd give them $12 and flashed it in front of them. The eagerly accepted and proceeded to pick out 3 Xbox games they wanted from the sale. Not the greatest deal in the world, but I didn't have Mega Man X-2 or Donkey Kong Country 2, so I was glad to take the games off their hands. Plus, if I hadn't asked to see what they had, I would have wondering for awhile if there was something truly great that I had passed on.

[quote name='Strell']I am going to punch you in the face and steal whatever games I can find in your basements.[/QUOTE]

better bring a u-haul and you won't have any problem finding them they're everywhere. oh and it better be a knock out punch

[quote name='shipwreck']I used "Cash In Face" for the first time this weekend.[/QUOTE]

congrats! I just love CIF success stories

shipwreck, i have done that a few times, got a free ps2 carry bag one time like that, and for jedi, chil man, con is a harsh word, i like to say we are negotiating. remeber one man thrash is another treasure.

remeber buy low sell high

Went to the Salvation Army Saturday, picked up Mortal Kombat and Capcom bowling uprights for a grand total ..... 5.00. The Mortal Kombat needs repair but the Capcom bowling worked great.

I went to a pawn shop today and saw a couple old games including SMB2, which I still need. The dude wanted five dollars for NES games. My eyes became uncharacteristically goggled after he said the price. He told me, "that's what they go for on eBay."

As much as I hate it, I'll still check back occasionally, only because I once found a Dreamcast there with 2 controllers and a VMU for $25.00 - and the guy threw in a Boxed DK Country for SNES.

My guess is he gets drawn to eBay like Denethor to the Palantir and goes a little crazy from time to time. It's best to catch him during his fleeting moments of sanity.

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']congratulations to evilmax17 or Moiety for being this month's "Room of Doom" in Tips & Tricks Magazine![/QUOTE]

????? pic ??????

[quote name='shipwreck']Not exactly, a yardsale, but I used "Cash In Face" for the first time this weekend. I was shopping at EB when three kids and their dad came in to try and trade a bag of SNES games. Of course EB wouldn't take them and the kid's seem pretty disappointed because they didn't have enough to buy two games then (Buy 2 get 1 free was going on).

Well, I asked them what they had. Here's what was in the bag (all cart only):

Mega Man X2
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario World
Killer Instinct
Bugs Bunny: Rabbit Rampage
Batman Returns
The Death & Return Of Superman
Spider-Man/X-Men
Lion King
Power Rangers: The Movie

I told them I'd give them $12 and flashed it in front of them. The eagerly accepted and proceeded to pick out 3 Xbox games they wanted from the sale. Not the greatest deal in the world, but I didn't have Mega Man X-2 or Donkey Kong Country 2, so I was glad to take the games off their hands. Plus, if I hadn't asked to see what they had, I would have wondering for awhile if there was something truly great that I had passed on.[/quote]

Nice... I wonder what kind of stuff people trade in. Almost makes me want to stand outside of an EB/GS and ask people if they brought any tradeins today :D

[quote name='erehwon']Get us a scan of that please.[/quote]

I have no clue where the hookups for my scanner are.

This is a crappy cell phone pic of the page:

fullpage9jk.jpg

the dreamcast kiosk is in the first pic at the top.

the text reads:

ROOM OF DOOM

This month's featured game collection belongs to Dominic Pezzuto and Elizabeth Richardson of Peabody, Massachusetts, bargain-hunters who prowl yard sales in search of videogame booty. The couple has acquired an impressive variety of games and hardware from all gaming eras, including multiple copies of certain rarities and even a working Dreamcast retail demo kiosk, the latter scored at a yard sale for just $20!

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']congratulations to evilmax17 or Moiety for being this month's "Room of Doom" in Tips & Tricks Magazine![/quote]
Thank you!

We were going to report it when we got the magazine! How's it look? How did you know it was us? We can't wait to see it! Hopefully it comes in the mail tomorrow. :)

Edit: Ahh neat! Thanks for posting the pic!

[quote name='moiety']Thank you!

We were going to report it when we got the magazine! How's it look? How did you know it was us? We can't wait to see it! Hopefully it comes in the mail tomorrow. :)

Edit: Ahh neat! Thanks for posting the pic![/quote]

no problem bro!
I doubt there could be another person in MA who plays games, goes to yard sales, and found a dreamcast kiosk for $20! I was looking at the issue and said "Holy Shit! I know this guy!" Congratz!

[quote name='snotknocker']I got a room of doom in the works. But right now it's more like a room of shit everywhere.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

http://img302.imageshack.us/my.php?....us/img302/8016/16venom2sg.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
1 Genesis Model 2 (all hookups)
2 3-button controllers
1 Strider (GEN, cart only)
1 Rocket Knight Adventures (GEN, cart only)
1 Sonic (GEN, cart only)
1 Madden 95 (GEN, cart only)
1 Vectorman (GEN, cart only)
1 X-Men (GEN, cart only)
1 Sports Talk Football 93 (GEN, cart only)
11 Street Fighter comics
6 Venom comics
Paid: FREE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stumbled over one of those "first come, first serve" Craigslist posts earlier today. I drove through some pretty bad rain (terrible visibility) for the chance to nab the Genesis first. Fortunately, I made it in time. He had a ton of comics, neatly stacked and organized. Only ones that sparked my interest were Street Fighter and Venom.

Funnily, he had a PS2 and N64 with some games on the floor near the Genesis. I jokingly asked if he was interested in 'getting rid' of those, but of course he said "no". Always worth a shot, right?

found an advertised yardsale mentioning an arcade football game, since it was mentioned in the list of like 5 things it might be more than i want it for

hopefully its blitz if i get there before it sells and theres no burnt image in the background

I picked up the Roberta Williams Anthology today along with some other stuff today at the Salvation Army.

Man, I never knew it was worth so much.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9272-1695811?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=468642
Ebay prices are no better. This is just like when I bought the Quest For Glory Anthology for only $13. Geez these things are worth a lot.

I also got the following :

Golden Axe 2
Rampart
Torin's Passage
Blades of Steel

All were $2 except for Torin's Passage, which was $1.Oh, I paid only $6 for the anthology.

Picked up an Official Nintendo Player's Guide for NES games for $0.49 at a thriftstore, kind of beat-up but pages all holding together. Not a bad price compared to a better condition one is going for about $12 on ebay! :)

i don't get to go yard sale shopping.. however last year when i was visiting my girlfriend in NC i found a holder for snes/nes games with a nintendo logo its black for a dollar.. also found DMC for the PS2 for a dollar... for me though the pawn shops are where its at (as i have to work on saturdays) like today.. got the new harvest moon game.. 8 bucks.

Pretty decent craigslist score:

NES games (all cart only):
Double Dribble
R.C. Pro-AM
The Balck Bass
Operation Wolf
The Simpsons Bart vs. The Space Mutants
John Elway's Quarterback
Metal Gear
Back to the Future
Freedom Force
The Blue Marlin
Tiger-Heli
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tetris
Gyromite
Blades of Steel
Tetris 2
Rad Racer
Iron Tank
Dragon Warrior (completely beat to shit)

Total: $10

And a pretty decent thrift-ish store score:

Evolution (DC, complete)
Lion King (Gen, complete)
Clue (Gen, complete)
Spider-Man (Gen, missing manual)
Gauntlet IV (Gen, missing manual)
After Burner II (Gen, missing manual)
Sonic Greatest Hits (Gen, cart only in Streets of Rage 2 case)
Dungeon Siege Legend of Aranna expansion pack (PC, missing box)

Total: $11.90

My girlfriend bought Painkiller Black edition complete for the PC and the Mortal Kombat Annihilation CD for $11.96

I hit the jackpot on my second yard sale this year. I go up to the guy and start chatting him up. He's got tattoos and piercings and generally looks like a cool guy. Says he used to work at a thrift store in Colorado Springs, CO and moved out here not too long ago. Just looking to clear out some old stuff and make some cash.

Lo and behold, this is what he's got.

Sega Nomad with a bowling game and a casinio game - $5
Sega Game Gear in case with a handfull of games - $8
Sony Playstation model SCPH-1001, with AV, power cables, and 1 pack-in controller- $5
N64 w/ pack-in party controller, AV, power cables and a pokemon game - $3
5 various PS2 demos - $1 for all

All this stuff is in like-new condition. I put it all in the huge box he had the N64 in and head to his cash box to check out.

"How much do you figure for this stuff?"

He makes a half-ass at looking through it all and gives me a number... $25.

"Are you sure about that?" I say counting up the total in my head to be $22.

"Let me look again..." and he goes back to counting.

Meanwhile flash my bills and count them out.

"I got $18 here" holding out an array of small bills.

"That'll work. I could use the change. Thanks"

[quote name='radjago']I hit the jackpot on my second yard sale this year. I go up to the guy and start chatting him up. He's got tattoos and piercings and generally looks like a cool guy. Says he used to work at a thrift store in Colorado Springs, CO and moved out here not too long ago. Just looking to clear out some old stuff and make some cash.

Lo and behold, this is what he's got.

Sega Nomad with a bowling game and a casinio game - $5
Sega Game Gear in case with a handfull of games - $8
Sony Playstation model SCPH-1001, with AV, power cables, and 1 pack-in controller- $5
N64 w/ pack-in party controller, AV, power cables and a pokemon game - $3
5 various PS2 demos - $1 for all

All this stuff is in like-new condition. I put it all in the huge box he had the N64 in and head to his cash box to check out.

"How much do you figure for this stuff?"

He makes a half-ass at looking through it all and gives me a number... $25.

"Are you sure about that?" I say counting up the total in my head to be $22.

"Let me look again..." and he goes back to counting.

Meanwhile flash my bills and count them out.

"I got $18 here" holding out an array of small bills.

"That'll work. I could use the change. Thanks"[/QUOTE]

Nice score

bread's done
Back