Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bvharris']Ruh-roh. Tom Brady has suddenly turned into Rex Grossman. He's falling apart.[/QUOTE]

LOL...wow, you must be losing your mind. Hey, maybe you could turn on the Red Sox game. ;)

Wow, Vick broke his hand. I bet they wish they still had Kolb at this point. (And I'm glad I had Big Ben and Cam Newton as backups on my fantasy team...)

Wow, I can't believe Buffalo is winning now. It's like God is trying to make up for their last 15 years of horrible luck in one season, lol. If they pull this off, I may need a new pair of pants.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow, I can't believe Buffalo is winning now. It's like God is trying to make up for their last 15 years of horrible luck in one season, lol. If they pull this off, I may need a new pair of pants.[/QUOTE]
The officials decided they were going to take over the game on that tying drive by Buffalo. Illegal hands to the face gets them out of their own endzone, illegal contact gets them field position, PI gets their INT wiped out and gives them the ball on the 1.

[quote name='dafoomie']The officials decided they were going to take over the game on that tying drive by Buffalo. Illegal hands to the face gets them out of their own endzone, illegal contact gets them field position, PI gets their INT wiped out and gives them the ball on the 1.[/QUOTE]

Complaining about the officiating? Really? That's the card you want to play as a Pats fan?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Complaining about the officiating? Really? That's the card you want to play as a Pats fan?[/QUOTE]

For Boston fans, anytime their team is losing its because of the officials. When they're winning though, it's never because of calls going their way...

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Ugh, another Vick injury. Ugly afternoon.[/QUOTE]

From the sideline shot they showed of him it looks to be his right hand as well. Depending on the break, this could be a significant part of the season for him.

[quote name='packerfan10']I said it on Admiral football thread that the New England game was most likely going to be a trap game for them.[/QUOTE]

Trap game? For what looking ahead to next week against the Raiders?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Pats aren't taking the looming loss too well. They've tackled Ryan Fitzpatrick twice now after kneeing.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Stay class, Patriots. Pushing Fitzpatrick over after he takes a knee. There's that Belicheat spirit![/QUOTE]

I'm not sure which game you guys were watching. Fitzpatrick was trying to get cute rather than just taking the knee, every single team in the NFL would try to force the fumble there.

Oh well. If the Patriots and Bills play that game 100 times, the Patriots win 90 of them. Not really going to overcome 4 interceptions too often (two of which were on picks). If anything this goes to show that the Pats need Brady to be good in order to win, but I think everyone already knew that.

[quote name='bvharris']I guess we can put that "Bills can totally hang with the Patriots" thing to rest.[/QUOTE]

tehehe. I believe in the scientific world this is called "The Leon Lett Postulate".

ie. Don't celebrate at the 5 yard line.

Though I have strong ties to the area (born in Western NY and was a HUGE Bills fan in my childhood), I haven't followed the team as closely since I moved. But it's nice to see them win...especially with all the talk of them moving to Toronto. Happy for the city.

The Lions and Bills are 3-0.

I'm scared...

In other news, Broncos lose another battle. Ho-hum.

Just start Tebow and get it out of the way, so people can find out that they might just need another QB.

Maybe they can go after Luck...

[quote name='n8rockerasu']tehehe. I believe in the scientific world this is called "The Leon Lett Postulate".

ie. Don't celebrate at the 5 yard line.[/QUOTE]

It was 21-0 in the 2nd quarter at the time. If you replayed that situation a million times, how many times does Brady throw 4 picks going forward? Three or four? I'm not taking Tom's blame for this one.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Complaining about the officiating? Really? That's the card you want to play as a Pats fan?[/QUOTE]
The clock operator let an additional 15 seconds run off the clock during the TD review and it was never wound back. Yet another Bills call.

Brady and the Pats were beyond awful and the Bills still needed help to win that game. Enjoy it though, its as close as Buffalo will ever get to a Superbowl, at least before they move to Toronto.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']For Boston fans, anytime their team is losing its because of the officials. When they're winning though, it's never because of calls going their way...[/QUOTE]

You're an idiot.

[quote name='bvharris']I'm not sure which game you guys were watching. Fitzpatrick was trying to get cute rather than just taking the knee, every single team in the NFL would try to force the fumble there.

Oh well. If the Patriots and Bills play that game 100 times, the Patriots win 90 of them. Not really going to overcome 4 interceptions too often (two of which were on picks). If anything this goes to show that the Pats need Brady to be good in order to win, but I think everyone already knew that.[/QUOTE]
What does "trying to get cute" mean? He was taking a knee as quickly as possible while his offensive line was being pushed back, so he dropped to the ground to make sure that he didn't drop the ball. The second time was just a blatant cheap shot well after the knee that could've easily been a second penalty for the Pats.

Edit: And stop trying to downplay the huge comeback that happened. It may have been a one-in-a-million shot, but it actually happened and the Pats were beaten by the Buffalo Bills.

[quote name='bvharris']It was 21-0 in the 2nd quarter at the time. If you replayed that situation a million times, how many times does Brady throw 4 picks going forward? Three or four? I'm not taking Tom's blame for this one.[/QUOTE]

Normally, I would agree with you. But this is a Bills team that just came back down 21-3 to beat the Raiders last week. I have no idea what it is, but there's something in the water in Buffalo this year and Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing at an almost MVP level. They might not contend in the playoffs, but teams can't sleep on them like they have for over a decade. I mean, come on, look at the play that set up all the chaos at the goal line. How are you going to let Fred Jackson go 40 yards up the middle of the field with the game on the line? The Pats need to be better than that.

[quote name='dafoomie']The clock operator let an additional 15 seconds run off the clock during the TD review and it was never wound back. Yet another Bills call.

Brady and the Pats were beyond awful and the Bills still needed help to win that game. Enjoy it though, its as close as Buffalo will ever get to a Superbowl, at least before they move to Toronto.[/QUOTE]

Wow, what a sore fucking loser. Hey, how'd the Sox do today?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']From the sideline shot they showed of him it looks to be his right hand as well. Depending on the break, this could be a significant part of the season for him.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm happy it is his right and not his left, though. Hoping it's just a one-gamer.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What does "trying to get cute" mean? He was taking a knee as quickly as possible while his offensive line was being pushed back, so he dropped to the ground to make sure that he didn't drop the ball. The second time was just a blatant cheap shot well after the knee that could've easily been a second penalty for the Pats.[/QUOTE]

I was watching on Red Zone, and they cut away before the second one. But on the first play it seemed to me Fitzpatrick hung up and tried to surge forward or something. It was not a clean kneel, I don't blame the Pats for going for the ball. Again, they had no other choice there, and every team in the NFL would have done the exact same thing so quips about "classy Pats" are pretty silly.

As far as Super Bowl contenders go right now, I'm happy I'm a Pats fan and not an Eagles fan. If Vick is out for an extended period, it could get ugly there quickly for a team with such high aspirations.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Edit: And stop trying to downplay the huge comeback that happened. It may have been a one-in-a-million shot, but it actually happened and the Pats were beaten by the Buffalo Bills.[/QUOTE]

I'm not downplaying anything. I don't think anyone's going to stand there and say the Bills are the better team, or will have a better record at the end of the year. They definitely earned the win, but they had pretty much every conceivable thing break their way after it was 21-0. That's not taking anything away from them, it's just saying I'm not convinced they could repeat that result.

[quote name='bvharris']I was watching on Red Zone, and they cut away before the second one. But on the first play it seemed to me Fitzpatrick hung up and tried to surge forward or something. It was not a clean kneel, I don't blame the Pats for going for the ball. Again, they had no other choice there, and every team in the NFL would have done the exact same thing so quips about "classy Pats" are pretty silly.

As far as Super Bowl contenders go right now, I'm happy I'm a Pats fan and not an Eagles fan. If Vick is out for an extended period, it could get ugly there quickly for a team with such high aspirations.[/QUOTE]
I watched it live and he kneeled right away as his center was pushed right into him, so he got onto the ground to make sure a fumble didn't occur and then Pats players jumped all over him and pointed at their endzone to say that they had the ball. There was nothing cute about it, just a defense that tried to push for something to happen and got carried away when it didn't go their way.

[quote name='bvharris']As far as Super Bowl contenders go right now, I'm happy I'm a Pats fan and not an Eagles fan. If Vick is out for an extended period, it could get ugly there quickly for a team with such high aspirations.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be to happy with that defense. Hell, it could make Curtis Painter look good.

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']I wouldn't be to happy with that defense. Hell, it could make Curtis Painter look good.[/QUOTE]

The defense definitely doesn't look fantastic on most days, but they were missing several key defenders today (Dowling, Chung, Haynesworth), and Brady also threw 4 picks. I'll give the D a mulligan here, this one was on Brady.

[quote name='bvharris']I'm not downplaying anything. I don't think anyone's going to stand there and say the Bills are the better team, or will have a better record at the end of the year. They definitely earned the win, but they had pretty much every conceivable thing break their way after it was 21-0. That's not taking anything away from them, it's just saying I'm not convinced they could repeat that result.[/QUOTE]
Of course you are. You're acting like the Pats shouldn't take this loss seriously like it was a charity loss to the Bills by saying that they could play 100 times and win this exact game in 90 of them, but both teams only got one chance at this game and the Bills played harder to get the win. It's complacency that this loss was just a fluke and isn't a sign of potential trouble in the future.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I watched it live and he kneeled right away as his center was pushed right into him, so he got onto the ground to make sure a fumble didn't occur and then Pats players jumped all over him and pointed at their endzone to say that they had the ball. There was nothing cute about it, just a defense that tried to push for something to happen and got carried away when it didn't go their way.[/QUOTE]

Alright, I'll concede that point, you obviously got a clearer look than I did. I still think it's something the defense should do there, and I think every defense in the NFL would do it. This was a vastly different situation than your average kneel down to end the game. The game was tied there, and after Jackson was ruled down (the right call) the Pats only had two chances at avoiding a loss: Forcing a fumble, or blocking the kick. I expect the coach to tell them to do everything in their power to do one of those things, winning the game is the objective. If your team was in the same situation, you would want your coach asking the same of his players.

[quote name='bvharris']It was 21-0 in the 2nd quarter at the time. If you replayed that situation a million times, how many times does Brady throw 4 picks going forward? Three or four? I'm not taking Tom's blame for this one.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='bvharris']The defense definitely doesn't look fantastic on most days, but they were missing several key defenders today (Dowling, Chung, Haynesworth), and Brady also threw 4 picks. I'll give the D a mulligan here, this one was on Brady.[/QUOTE]
Not trying to troll or pick on you, but you've given both Brady and the defense a mulligan so far. Who else is exempt from blame for the loss?

My opinion on the kneeling thing was that the first one was a little jumbled and Fitzpatrick did kinda go horizontal, as though he was trying to fall forward (as opposed to just dropping straight down). The commentators even mentioned that it was a little too "inbetween". So, the extra shoving on that play, I let go. But the second one was blatant (which is the one I was referring to with my "classy" comment). Fitzpatrick dropped straight down, had no one around him, and then a Pats player ran up and shoved him.

As for the game itself, you can call it "getting breaks", "bad officiating", whatever. But when you have a 21-0 lead and you lose...it's your fault. Period. The Patriots played like shit in the 2nd half, turned the ball over too many times, and were soft defensively. They allowed Buffalo to get back in that game and let it get away from them when they couldn't stop them. Yes, it's just one game, and I'm sure the Pats will make the playoffs, and most likely will have a better record than the Bills at the end of the season. But it's still a game they should have won.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Of course you are. You're acting like the Pats shouldn't take this loss seriously like it was a charity loss to the Bills by saying that they could play 100 times and win this exact game in 90 of them, but both teams only got one chance at this game and the Bills played harder to get the win. It's complacency that this loss was just a fluke and isn't a sign of potential trouble in the future.[/QUOTE]

You're making two separate points here and acting like they're one and the same.

Of course it's troubling that the Pats lost. The defense is still a huge question mark (especially with all their injuries), and it was clear that Brady missed Hernandez the way he was forcing the ball to Welker and Gronk. It's also troubling that Ochocinco can't catch a TD which hits him right in the hands.

That said, it's not unfair to call this win flukey for the Bills. The various things that happened during this game were just piling one unlikely thing on top of another. Bottom line is they won the game, but it's not complacency to point out that literally everything broke their way in doing so.

If you honestly think the Bills are a better team over the course of an NFL season, that's your prerogative. They were better today, that's it.

Congratulations are in order for Ms. Jim 'I don't have faith in my team to stop another team with less than two seconds left so we'll just eat two points and look like bitches' Harbaugh. Good showing.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Not trying to troll or pick on you, but you've given both Brady and the defense a mulligan so far. Who else is exempt from blame for the loss?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure you're capable of picking on me, for what it's worth. You obviously just misunderstood what I said about Brady. I was giving myself the mulligan for getting overconfident up 21-0, based on the absurd unlikelihood of Brady's meltdown. I absolutely 100% blame Brady for the loss, he doesn't get a mulligan.

[quote name='Tronny']Congratulations are in order for Ms. Jim 'I don't have faith in my team to stop another team with less than two seconds left so we'll just eat two points and look like bitches' Harbaugh. Good showing.[/QUOTE]

Is this guy serious?

2-1.

[quote name='Tronny']Congratulations are in order for Ms. Jim 'I don't have faith in my team to stop another team with less than two seconds left so we'll just eat two points and look like bitches' Harbaugh. Good showing.[/QUOTE]

Playing smart football and being aware of the game situation to ensure that your team wins, no matter the final score? Yeah, what a doofus.

[quote name='bvharris']Playing smart football and being aware of the game situation to ensure that your team wins, no matter the final score? Yeah, what a doofus.[/QUOTE]

If smart football is losing two points in order to keep your defense off of the field, than yes. To me it looks more like an indictment of your faith in your team and your ability to coach...or lack thereof.

[quote name='Tronny']If smart football is losing two points in order to keep your defense off of the field, than yes. To me it looks more like an indictment of your faith in your team and your ability to coach...or lack thereof.[/QUOTE]

Smart football is winning the game. I only caught it as part of the Red Zone Channel flurry, but from what I saw the choice was between punting or taking the safety. That's a no-brainer in that situation. Punts can be blocked, I don't remember the last time a free kick was blocked. They're also more difficult to return. I really don't see how anyone would say that's not a great move.

[quote name='bvharris']You're making two separate points here and acting like they're one and the same.

Of course it's troubling that the Pats lost. The defense is still a huge question mark (especially with all their injuries), and it was clear that Brady missed Hernandez the way he was forcing the ball to Welker and Gronk. It's also troubling that Ochocinco can't catch a TD which hits him right in the hands.

That said, it's not unfair to call this win flukey for the Bills. The various things that happened during this game were just piling one unlikely thing on top of another. Bottom line is they won the game, but it's not complacency to point out that literally everything broke their way in doing so.

If you honestly think the Bills are a better team over the course of an NFL season, that's your prerogative. They were better today, that's it.[/QUOTE]
I don't think I said anything about the Bills being a better team for an entire season, as they have 13 more games to prove that if it's true. Treating it like it's a fluke that couldn't be prevented would be a mistake for the Pats, as it looked like Brady went cold after the second half while Fitzpatrick got hot and things went from a huge lead one way just after the half to the other team coming back with a huge win. They blew a huge lead and they have a ton to learn from that if they want to make sure that the Bills' lead in the AFC East is a short one.

K changing channel too much green bay dick sucking from the commentators. everything chicago does barely gets a nod but when green bay does the same godamn thing we have to have it magnified x10, yea we get it they won the super bowl.

[quote name='bvharris']Smart football is winning the game. I only caught it as part of the Red Zone Channel flurry, but from what I saw the choice was between punting or taking the safety. That's a no-brainer in that situation. Punts can be blocked, I don't remember the last time a free kick was blocked. They're also more difficult to return. I really don't see how anyone would say that's not a great move.[/QUOTE]

From watching the game (albeit at a crowded bar) it looked more like the decision was to take the safety instead of punting in order to scramble around the backfield as much as possible so as to run the clock down. Its akin to kneeling on third down in order to avert a possible turnover, if thats what it takes to win thats fine...I couldn't feel comfortable with myself, but whatever.

[quote name='Tronny']From watching the game (albeit at a crowded bar) it looked more like the decision was to take the safety instead of punting in order to scramble around the backfield as much as possible so as to run the clock down. Its akin to kneeling on third down in order to avert a possible turnover, if thats what it takes to win thats fine...I couldn't feel comfortable with myself, but whatever.[/QUOTE]

The end result is all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back