Official CAG board/card game topic. From Dominion to Battlestar we gots it all!

[quote name='infamyRISE']Nice.

Is your collection cataloged on BGG Magus?

Nevermind, I found you. Thats alot of gamage.[/QUOTE]

Hehe ya and believe it or not I sold/traded a few games......even finaly got ripped off on a trade online(sent to someone and a month later iv yet to receive or get responses from the guy).

i havent posted becasue i havent bought any new games, and dont have money to buy games at the moment. i did have a couple epic games of carcassonne this weekend though.

Bumping this thread to ask for some advice. My brother has been talking about wanting to get the World of Warcraft Board game. Any thoughts about the game from anyone here that's played it? Also I know that there is the "standard" WoW board game and then the Adventure game. I know the general difference between them , but anyone show any personal preferance towards which one is better?

I actually own wow the boardgame but never plaued it and prob never will. Its open but nothing in the box has been opened. I'd sell it to you for a good price.

Also I was in bgr yesterday and they have the halo 3 boardgame on clearance for 30 bucks.

Oh and the dominion expansion is out

The general opinion I think is that the board game is better than the adventure game.

If your brother plays WOW, then no doubt the board game. Its much more in depth and mirror's WOW greatly including leveling up, talent points, buying new spells, etc etc.

The adventure game is more of a roll and move game with the Warcraft theme tacked on.

In other news: Game of Thrones boardgame is so. good.

And for thrust: how much is a good price? I might be interested if he isn't.

at goodwill this weekend i picked up Diplomacy. its was only 2 bucks and has never been played, everything is still in the plastic. looks interesting, a war game where theres no chance. has anyone played it before, hopefully ill be able to get some people together for it this weekend.

That's an insane steal.

If you like it, then you NEED (NEED I SAY!) to pick up Game of Thrones. It has Diplomacy elements, fleshed out a bit with more choices.

Which edition did you get?

[quote name='infamyRISE']That's an insane steal.

If you like it, then you NEED (NEED I SAY!) to pick up Game of Thrones. It has Diplomacy elements, fleshed out a bit with more choices.

Which edition did you get?[/QUOTE]

The wedding we had planned had its venue cancled by the jackass landlord so we had to replan the whole thing in 6 weeks. This has meant we havnt had much time for board games ;( All we have managed to play is a few quick games of Yish/Tzaar and a game of Bohnanza while at my moms house with my little brother.

We also though have managed to sneak in a few games of Magic the Gathering. After playing the Xbox 360 version I got the bug up my butt and went on ebay and spend like $200 on cards and rebuilt some decks. Surprisingly Amanda actually really enjoys the game which is awesome since its such an easy pick up and play in a spare 15 mins kind of game.

I can't wait for Scary Tales, suppose to really scratch the CCG itch.

MSI, I am surprised you haven't talked about the dominion expansion yet, which has been out for a few weeks now, since you were such a huge fan of the first.

Anyone else pumped for Middle-earth Quest?

The creators of two of my favorite boardgames (BSG and Game of Thrones) come together to tackle LOTR? It's like a wet un-dream.

Has anyone every played a game called Twilight Imperium? I was thinking of grabbing it of Amazon (unless someone knows a cheaper venue), but I wanted to get some feedback on it.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I can't wait for Scary Tales, suppose to really scratch the CCG itch.

MSI, I am surprised you haven't talked about the dominion expansion yet, which has been out for a few weeks now, since you were such a huge fan of the first.[/QUOTE]

As I said we have just been so busy with the wedding that we have had no time for board games. We play maybe 1-4 light games a week at best(by that Im talking stuff like yinsh/tzaar/magic and Lost Cities).

I think Lost Cities Board Game/Keltis is the only new game we have made time for anytime recently and only got in 2 rounds of that even though its a short game. Hopefully after the wedding(labor day weekend)things will stay calm for a few weeks(she goes back to school)and we can squeeze a few games in. The weather should also be getting cold which will help.

Dominion to be honest too was one of those games that was and still is really fun, but was one of my first so was colored in part by that. To be honest I love a lot of other games like Bohnanza, Lost Cities, Yinsh/Tzaar and Agricola so much more now. After the wedding comes though I will defintly be grabbing Dominion: Intrigue as well as Small worlds and the rest of the GIPF games. I am simply waiting both since we dont have time to play them now and because we put them on our amazon wedding registry in hopes we get a few games.

Edit - And to whoever asked about Twilight Imperium, sorry havnt played it. However I am pretty sure its a very time consuming deep game. I have heard good things about it but that will need to be your type of game. Check youtbue for reviews on it. I am almost positive that I watched a review or two for it from someone like the dice tower guy or boardgames with scott.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Has anyone every played a game called Twilight Imperium? I was thinking of grabbing it of Amazon (unless someone knows a cheaper venue), but I wanted to get some feedback on it.[/QUOTE]

Twilight Imperium has almost universal praise. That being said its a HEEEAVy game. I don't know what your boardgame background is, but this is a pretty tough place to start. Also note that it's one of those games where the expansion is considered a must as it fixes a pretty crucial element to the base game.

[quote name='infamyRISE']That's an insane steal.

Which edition did you get?[/QUOTE]

I eventually want to play the A Game of Thrones board game. If it's as good as the Battlestar Galactica board game, then, as a huge George R.R. Martin fan, I think I just may 'asplode'.

Well, yeah. That's true. The game is designed for 5, and 4 works well. I wouldn't go below that either. At the same time I'd never give this game up.

Has anyone else had their eye on Games Workshop's latest iteration of Space Hulk? It is a bit pricey ($100), but I'm probably going to pick up a copy.

My local store has it for 79 but don't know much about it.

I did pick up endeavor, which I love, and tales of arabian nights which I haven't played yet.

Figured this thread had died!

Whats new:

Endeavor
Chaos in the Old World
Tikal
Middle Earth Quest
Warrior Knights
Battlestar Pegasus

Wheeee.

Placed another huge order. Will reveal more latter since my pc died and Iam typing this from my ps3 ! In the mean time Iwill sayy small world is awsome!

I have small world and played it once with two players. Need to play it more.

I do have to say, again, I really enjoy Endeavor. I think it will be a sleeper.

I haven't played Small World enough to dissent yet, but it does feel very much like the game plays itself, kind of like Dominion. Like 90% of all people playing your hand would play the exact same way. With Small World, I really think most peoples enjoyment of it really stems from the art.

[quote name='infamyRISE']I caved and bought Space Hulk.

I'm so weak.[/QUOTE]

Still stuck using my ps3 so not doing a long update, when Iget my pc back tommorow or friday if people arestill posting i will list what i bought and impressions

[quote name='infamyRISE']I caved and bought Space Hulk.

I'm so weak.[/QUOTE]

I'm right there with ya, man. But at least the miniatures look nice (for 100 bones, they better)...

I like Small World, but the gameplay itself is very simple. The nuances come in trying to really take advantage of your race/special power combination, and when to decline.
That said, it's a good way to move people past Risk. "It's like Risk, but with very little dice rolling and different army types."
I didn't like Pandemic at all - I thought one person was playing the game ("You're the doc, bring your blue card to him there", etc) and the others just moved pieces around. I don't think SW "plays itself" considering you can start your entry into the world from any edge. Once you do that, of course, your incursions are fairly limited.
Not sure I agree about that in Dominion either, although I do notice some mirroring of tactics. Our last game was weird- not a single Province was bought, nor were any of the 4 5-cost cards. Only about 2 gold were bought. It was very interactive, each player had at least one Thief and at least one Spy. The final score after emptying three piles was 18-19-20.

Tell me about Space Hulk, I don't know much about it, but have heard lots about it.

Going to a four day gaming invitational this weekend. Should get to meet lots of people and play lots of games :)

Best Dang Games has AToE bundle for 65.80 and 10% by signing up for their news letter. http://www.bestdanggames.com/toofevbu.html
Never used them, not sure how good a price this is, just passing on a deal from BGG. I'd like to try AToE, my wife and I have played Arkham a few times but the shorter game and lighter tone would go over well, I think.

dtcarson,

Do you have a owned/trade list at BGG by any chance? I have a punched, but unplayed copy of AToE sitting here that's not going to get to the table any time soon. I'd swap you for something if you're really interested.

I'll have to wait until Hulk arrives and I actually have time to sit down a bit before I could personally post any impressions. I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the game (kind of an impulse buy) but despite it being expensive, the new craze over the limited 3rd edition release seems to guarantee i'll at LEAST be able to recoup my losses should I not like it.

Finally got in Tales of Arabian nights. Impressions:

It's almost exactly like playing a PC RPG or MMO without the electronics. This game is one of a kind and I don't think anyone will make a game like it. Huge fat book of paragraphs to read. Very much a multiplayer choose-your-own-adventure. Pretty fun.

I recommend Arabian nights, but only if you are ok with heavy theme and almost no strategy (you have almost no control of the outcome) but its damn fun. Also, if you are playing with more than two people, use some of the variants to shorten it or it goes too long.

I also bought Finca, which I like a lot. A light Euro that plays quickly, but still full of strategy.

Alright so PC is finally repaired and im online! Buddy even hooked me up with upgrades and games so totally worth it. As for board games we ordered another $300 or so. I grabbed all the GIPF series we were missing except for TAMSK which is apparently out of print and rare now.

Here are the games we bought and if we played them or not. I am only going to add small impressions to them but if people ask I can give more info about the games.

Small World - All right I understand that you guys dont like it but I understand why others like it(if not why they think its so amazing). It has nothing to do with the art(which actually I hate)and more that its a war/territory game that can actually be finished in just an hour or so. Yes risk offers more depth and ultimatly is a better game as are most others, but they take HOURS to play where if its just me and my wife we can finish Small world in 40 mins or so and if we play with friends just over an hour. The multiple races and modifiers add a level of depth to the game while not making it so horribly complicated that people like my wife cant grasp the game. So basically yes, it may not be as heavy or deep as a lot of other similar games, but you guys need to realize that those types of games limit the market to a very specific group of people where this opens it up to people who usually wouldnt play them.

Qwirkle Tile Version - LOVE IT! Both me, my wife and the couple we board game with all love this game. Its in our top few abstract games after just a hand full of plays!

Dice Town - Flipping love this game and that says a lot given how much luck is involved in it.

Hive - I know its a lot of other peoples top abstract but both me and the wife are meh on it. Its a C- game and just a decent filler at best.

Dominion Intrigue - Another game that is controversial here since it seems its an extremely popular game but a few of you really hate it. I personally think Dominon was great at first but got old fast because people did tend to use the same few strategies over and over again. However The new cards add a lot of needed variety playing by base rules, and me and my wife have found if you toss out the base rules and instead put more cards on the table its a really awesome game. I believe the base game calls for something like 8 different cards to be put in but we put in as many as twice that amount. The new cards tht are both victory cards and have actions also add a lot of spice to the game.

Wits and Wagers - Only played once but had a blast. Funniest moment was my friends wife putting the worlds tallest giraffe guess at 150 feet tall.

Travel Blokus - Again shows that abstracts really are our fav games, especially my wife's.

Carcassone - Finally picked it up, we both love it as a 2 player game but dont care for it whenever its 4+

Havnt played yet
Punct
GIPF
Dvonn
Zertz
Whats it to ya

[quote name='MSI Magus']A
Small World - All right I understand that you guys dont like it but I understand why others like it(if not why they think its so amazing). It has nothing to do with the art(which actually I hate)and more that its a war/territory game that can actually be finished in just an hour or so. Yes risk offers more depth and ultimatly is a better game as are most others, but they take HOURS to play where if its just me and my wife we can finish Small world in 40 mins or so and if we play with friends just over an hour. The multiple races and modifiers add a level of depth to the game while not making it so horribly complicated that people like my wife cant grasp the game. So basically yes, it may not be as heavy or deep as a lot of other similar games, but you guys need to realize that those types of games limit the market to a very specific group of people where this opens it up to people who usually wouldnt play them. [/quote]
All I can say is you really really need to play Endeavor.

Dice Town - Flipping love this game and that says a lot given how much luck is involved in it.
Been looking for this, but my store doesn't have it. I actually bought Roll Through the Ages on the recommendation that it's one of the best dice games but my wife made me take it back because she says she hates dice/luck games.

Wits and Wagers - Only played once but had a blast. Funniest moment was my friends wife putting the worlds tallest giraffe guess at 150 feet tall.
I love wits and wagers as well. If you like it, you really need to get say anything, which is made by the same designers and is newer - in many ways it's better than wits and wagers. It has a betting mechanic but plays a bit more like apples to apples (only you write your own cards).

Carcassone - Finally picked it up, we both love it as a 2 player game but dont care for it whenever its 4+
If you can find it cheap, get Hunters and Gatherers. Imo, the best caracassone (simply because it incorporates many of the mechanics from the expansions of the core game).

Havnt played yet
Punct
GIPF
Dvonn
Zertz
Whats it to ya
I haven't either.

I did pick up scarry tales. It's a Reiner Knizia card game that has fairy tale characters fighting each other. It is very cheap, sells in sets, and the sets can be played together. The game is incredibly simple but decent fun for something that can be played in 10 minutes.

I also picked up the D&D starter kit for no other reason other than it was only $13 and came with lots of stuff - I am curious how that goes down with my group.

I don't have a trade list. I'm new enough to "gaming" that i only have a few games, and I like most of the ones I've bought. The only ones I think I have for trade are Beowulf the Legend (the auction game, not the Movie game/Kingdoms reimplementation) and Pit Fighter (both Tanga purchases) and I can't see either of them really being great trade fodder. Although if you're interested, let me know.

My comments on games recently mentioned:

Small World - I think the accessibility and tone of the game really help it. I don't think it's the Best Game EVAR, but I do think it's a very fun, accessible game that is very easy to teach and learn but adds a slightly different experience each time. I talk this one up to any non-gamers. "You've played RIsk? This is Risk without dice, and with unique armies with special skills" is my five second pitch. (I definitely like SW tons better than Risk).

Dominion Intrigue - Definitely adds to the game. I've seen people say "try base game first time to get the flow, then immediately add in Intrigue". The Intrigue cards do counter one of my main 'complaints' (not as strong as that, however) of Dominion, the lack of player interaction.

I just got back yesterday from an awesome gaming gathering/mini-con held at a hotel about 20 min away from me. Some folks I had met and played with before, but most were new. All (except one) were friendly, flexible, and very open to newcomers and patient with newbies to games (such as me).
Started ~1100 Thursday, came home @0100; again @1100-1800 Friday. Then 1100 Saturday, stayed all night (at 0200 I said, "Well, I could drive home"...then heard "Who's in for Long Shot?') Couple various games later, it was 0830 Sunday -- too late to drive home and come back, but I needed some sleep. Crashed for two hours on the bed in the bonus suite the con had for renting enough rooms, then back at it 1100-1800 Sunday. Exhausting weekend, and I can't wait till the next one.

Here's what I played (that I remember, I only started writing them down on Saturday)

Dominion Always fun

Fast Flowing Forest Fellers - Interesting cause-and-effect Friese game. Not sure I'd buy it since I already have Fearsome Floors, and I like that theme more, but i'd play again.

Long Shot - Not real deep but very fun, especially with a full table. Go 10! Horse racing/betting game.

Memoir '44 - My only complaint to this one is I wish it could work for 3 or 4 players. This would be a pretty good game to get someone into strategy wargames, or for young people, since unlike Risk or Axis and Allies, you always have some direction with the cards. And the fact that a squad is at full attack strength, regardless of size, makes it a little more fun to play even if you're losing.

Middle-Earth Quest - I and the two other Heroes lost to Sauron (the only experienced player). I definitely felt an Arkham horror vibe to this one: go pick up Favor (clues), go to destination to eliminate Plot (seal Gate). The actual goal only really clicked with us about three turns in, and we were too far behind by them. Not sure I'd play this again, I like the Arkham theme and trappings more, but I didn't dislike it.

Race for the Galaxy - Same thing, my first time playing and I had no familiarity with the cards, so I didn't know what would be likely for me to get. I had wanted to try this one, so I'm glad I did, but I need to give it a couple more plays before I decide. It's fast though so that's ok.

The Red Dragon Inn - This could be a blast with enough of the right people and the right mood. Lighthearted fantasy card game with the stereotypical fantasy characters, you try to get everyone else drunk while staying sober enough. Lots of player interaction and screwage. The tone of the game and the flavor of the cards is half the fun, so it's better with people who appreciate those things.

Revolution! - Steve Jackson game, I think. Again, lots of potential screwage. I liked the blind bidding aspect, since you've got Force, Blackmail, and Gold tokens; Force beats Blackmail beats Gold, but some people are protected against Force and/or Blackmail. You try to influence the citizens in a town, either directly or by taking over places like Marketplace and Harbor. I think I like it but want to play again.

Small World - always gets a play. Again, not the BGE, but a good, fun, lighthearted game that moves pretty quickly.

Snow Tails - I did like this one. The turn mechanic makes it more strategic than it looks. Dog racing on a curved track, where your movement is by playing card (the left sled dog moves 2, the right moves three, my Brake is at 2, so I go forward 3 (2+3 - 2), and shift one space to the right as I move. )

Time's Up! Title Recall! - Didn't really like this one. I don't mind trivia/phrase guessing games, but the word-repeat phase structure doesn't do much for me (you use the same words to guess in each round, but what you can say decreases each round.)

Word on the Street - I like this one much better. Adds some strategy to the typical party word game. When you have a word that fits the category, move the letters in the word a space toward you on the board (shaped and looking like a street, get it?). Use the letter enough times to move it off to your side of the street, you claim the tile, 8 tiles wins the game. Only the other team can do the same, so it can be a tug of war for letters.
This is a good party/team game that's a little deeper than the normal party word games.

Go Mental - Oh my god this was painful. Concept is good but the cards were awful. Trivia game. On the card are four words or phrases. Which one doesn't belong? (worth points) Why not? (worth points). OK, fine. One of hours was Name1, Name2, Name3, Name4. The category? Three of the names were designers of wedding dresses for the British royal family. Um, yeah.
The one question I got was where the category (uniting factor between three of the names) was that they were assassins.

Roll Through the Ages - I guess this is by the same folks who did Through the Ages, although it's much much much lighter. Roll dice to build your civ, on the scorepad. Not sure this is a 'gateway' game, but it's one that you could play with nongamers. Pretty fast moving too. I'm going to get my wife to try it, see if she likes it. I did, although I see that there's a free PnP expansion that makes it a little longer and adds some stuff.

Ubongo - I did better at this than I thought I would. Tangram type game using the piece set that was selected by die roll. The folks who taught me said the scorekeeping mechanism was stupid so we just took 2 gems for first, 1 for second, 0 for third.

Battlestar Galactica - Humans (me and another guy) kicked ass. There were times when we literally had nothing to do. Of course, there was no Cylon till phase 2, and only three players. We won this one handily. Nice to do occasionally. The closest we were to being in danger was to have 4 fuel at our last jump. (I, as Admiral, made a couple lucky rolls to gain fuel when choosing the destination.)

Ghost Stories - I had set this one up by myself and a buddy and I were trying to muddle through the manual when someone said "You want to learn to play? I'll teach you, the instructions are crap." We got a fourth and proceeded to get reamed by ghosts. I thought "We'll never make it through that ghost deck," then ten minutes later, "Wow, that deck went fast'. 9 square modular board making up a Chinese town, ghost card is drawn each turn and placed on one of the 12 spaces (3 each of 4 colors), your exorcist has to move on the board to be adjacent to a ghost and try to exorcise him by either rolling the right colors on the dice and/or playing appropriate colored tokens. The first four ghosts we got out included one who took away a die, and another who prevented us from using color tokens. I like this one, but it seems much more manageable as a game with exactly 4 players. It's tough, but the characters do have some very powerful special skills, you really have to use them. It's also a very cooperative game.

Password
Looping Louie - For these last two, it was between 0400 and and 0600 in the morning. They suited us just fine, and lots of laughs were had with the various clues in Password.

Finca - Again, medium weight, fast game of resource collection. I think I enjoyed it. Actually, I also won a copy at the con by guessing how many (plastic) rats were in a jar. I was off by one (714).

Skybridge - Tower building. Tower pieces can't touch the same color, you score for the tower that one of your two roofs is on, and if the towers with your two roofs are connected by one bridge, you score double. I won the second game, once we figured out how to score, but I didn't really like it. (the game, that is, i like winning.)

Samurai - area control/capture game by placing tiles of various 'suits' (buddha, rice, helmet). I lost this one by one. Deceptively strategic but still fast moving.

Wyatt Earp - I really enjoyed this one. Basically a rummy-like game, only the suits are Western desperadoes, with various bounties on their heads. Everyone who's played cards in that suit gets a cut of the bounty, unless the player with the most capture points on the card is ahead by 5 or more. You can also play sheriff cards that kick up bounties, give you more capture points, or negate other player's capture points.

Louis XIV - Not sure how to describe this one. I liked it more than I thought I would. You're "bidding" to have influence on people around Louis's court who can offer you favors if you have the most influence; you can use those favors to fulfill missions on cards that will give you bonuses and score you points at endgame.

Marracash - Great game. Apparently this wasn't sold in the US, the instructions were fully in German. Board has spaces signifying markets of four colors, blank spaces, and Fountain spaces, and will be populated by many little people icons of each of those four colors, and signs identifying player ownership. Round one: each person picks a store and auctions it. If he wins it, he owns it, if he doesn't, he gets a cut of the auction price. Rounds 2 and up: Player may move a group of shoppers to the next fountain space. If any of the shoppers pass a player-owned store of the shopper token's color, he goes into it. If it's the players store, player gets money. If it's another player's store, store owner player gets money, shopper moving player gets cut. The more shoppers in a store, the more money they're worth. Almost all of our stores were in the same area, and I had a monopoly in two colors.

I think I saw Endeavor, Dominion, Long Shot, and Small World being played the most throughout the weekend. I didn't make it to an Endeavor game.

Of the above list, I would like to get:
Long Shot
Looping Louie (my boy would love it)
Louis XIV
Wyatt Earp
Marracash
Roll through the Ages
Ghost Stories (if I could count of having 4 people to play)
Word on the Street
Red Dragon Inn (previous two, and Long Shot, for parties/gatherings)
Snow Tails
*maybe* Ubongo
(previous two, mainly to get my boy more into gaming, I think he'd like both of them)
(I already have Dominion base game and Small World, and won Finca)

And of course there were tons of games I didn't play. Over a hundred people in the hotel ballroom, and each person brought 5-100 games to add to the game library. At least one person filled up an entire hotel luggage cart (the wheely things) just their games. I felt like a pauper with my lowly 6 game contribution (only one of which got played [Thebes], but it got played multiple times.) There were stacks of games on tables along the walls, almost all the way around the room.

I may have missed a couple games, and some games were played more than once. All in all, a great, fun weekend. Lots of games and lots of gamers.

And for a humourous end: Someone at the con, posted a message with some games for sale. I bought Fluxx for a buck, and Zombies 1/2 for 10. I know, I've heard all the horror stories about Fluxx, but I thought at the least it would be a good silly game to play late nights or something, and what the hell, it was a buck. Made my wife play it last night (I never had played it either) and once she understood it (That's all I do? Draw a card and play a card?) she loved it and we played four or five times straight. Sometimes a game like that, even though it's not much of a game, is just the thing. (she only won once though, so she wasn't liking that.)

As you can tell, I generally like the medium length, medium complexity games. I'm not one for a four hour game of civ building or resource management. Apart from that, I'll try most anything, and can tolerate or like most anything.

Sorry for the length, hope between everyone, the entire thing got read :0

Thanks for the post, it gave me some ideas on stuff to consider.

A couple thoughts: like Ghost Stories, BSG really really shines at 5 players. No more, no less. If you can play it with 5, it will be one of your favorite games.

Glad you won Finca - great light quick game nobody has heard of.

[quote name='dtcarson']I don't have a trade list. I'm new enough to "gaming" that i only have a few games, and I like most of the ones I've bought. The only ones I think I have for trade are Beowulf the Legend (the auction game, not the Movie game/Kingdoms reimplementation) and Pit Fighter (both Tanga purchases) and I can't see either of them really being great trade fodder. Although if you're interested, let me know.

My comments on games recently mentioned:

Small World - I think the accessibility and tone of the game really help it. I don't think it's the Best Game EVAR, but I do think it's a very fun, accessible game that is very easy to teach and learn but adds a slightly different experience each time. I talk this one up to any non-gamers. "You've played RIsk? This is Risk without dice, and with unique armies with special skills" is my five second pitch. (I definitely like SW tons better than Risk).

Dominion Intrigue - Definitely adds to the game. I've seen people say "try base game first time to get the flow, then immediately add in Intrigue". The Intrigue cards do counter one of my main 'complaints' (not as strong as that, however) of Dominion, the lack of player interaction.

I just got back yesterday from an awesome gaming gathering/mini-con held at a hotel about 20 min away from me. Some folks I had met and played with before, but most were new. All (except one) were friendly, flexible, and very open to newcomers and patient with newbies to games (such as me).
Started ~1100 Thursday, came home @0100; again @1100-1800 Friday. Then 1100 Saturday, stayed all night (at 0200 I said, "Well, I could drive home"...then heard "Who's in for Long Shot?') Couple various games later, it was 0830 Sunday -- too late to drive home and come back, but I needed some sleep. Crashed for two hours on the bed in the bonus suite the con had for renting enough rooms, then back at it 1100-1800 Sunday. Exhausting weekend, and I can't wait till the next one.

Here's what I played (that I remember, I only started writing them down on Saturday)

Dominion Always fun

Fast Flowing Forest Fellers - Interesting cause-and-effect Friese game. Not sure I'd buy it since I already have Fearsome Floors, and I like that theme more, but i'd play again.

Long Shot - Not real deep but very fun, especially with a full table. Go 10! Horse racing/betting game.

Memoir '44 - My only complaint to this one is I wish it could work for 3 or 4 players. This would be a pretty good game to get someone into strategy wargames, or for young people, since unlike Risk or Axis and Allies, you always have some direction with the cards. And the fact that a squad is at full attack strength, regardless of size, makes it a little more fun to play even if you're losing.

Middle-Earth Quest - I and the two other Heroes lost to Sauron (the only experienced player). I definitely felt an Arkham horror vibe to this one: go pick up Favor (clues), go to destination to eliminate Plot (seal Gate). The actual goal only really clicked with us about three turns in, and we were too far behind by them. Not sure I'd play this again, I like the Arkham theme and trappings more, but I didn't dislike it.

Race for the Galaxy - Same thing, my first time playing and I had no familiarity with the cards, so I didn't know what would be likely for me to get. I had wanted to try this one, so I'm glad I did, but I need to give it a couple more plays before I decide. It's fast though so that's ok.

The Red Dragon Inn - This could be a blast with enough of the right people and the right mood. Lighthearted fantasy card game with the stereotypical fantasy characters, you try to get everyone else drunk while staying sober enough. Lots of player interaction and screwage. The tone of the game and the flavor of the cards is half the fun, so it's better with people who appreciate those things.

Revolution! - Steve Jackson game, I think. Again, lots of potential screwage. I liked the blind bidding aspect, since you've got Force, Blackmail, and Gold tokens; Force beats Blackmail beats Gold, but some people are protected against Force and/or Blackmail. You try to influence the citizens in a town, either directly or by taking over places like Marketplace and Harbor. I think I like it but want to play again.

Small World - always gets a play. Again, not the BGE, but a good, fun, lighthearted game that moves pretty quickly.

Snow Tails - I did like this one. The turn mechanic makes it more strategic than it looks. Dog racing on a curved track, where your movement is by playing card (the left sled dog moves 2, the right moves three, my Brake is at 2, so I go forward 3 (2+3 - 2), and shift one space to the right as I move. )

Time's Up! Title Recall! - Didn't really like this one. I don't mind trivia/phrase guessing games, but the word-repeat phase structure doesn't do much for me (you use the same words to guess in each round, but what you can say decreases each round.)

Word on the Street - I like this one much better. Adds some strategy to the typical party word game. When you have a word that fits the category, move the letters in the word a space toward you on the board (shaped and looking like a street, get it?). Use the letter enough times to move it off to your side of the street, you claim the tile, 8 tiles wins the game. Only the other team can do the same, so it can be a tug of war for letters.
This is a good party/team game that's a little deeper than the normal party word games.

Go Mental - Oh my god this was painful. Concept is good but the cards were awful. Trivia game. On the card are four words or phrases. Which one doesn't belong? (worth points) Why not? (worth points). OK, fine. One of hours was Name1, Name2, Name3, Name4. The category? Three of the names were designers of wedding dresses for the British royal family. Um, yeah.
The one question I got was where the category (uniting factor between three of the names) was that they were assassins.

Roll Through the Ages - I guess this is by the same folks who did Through the Ages, although it's much much much lighter. Roll dice to build your civ, on the scorepad. Not sure this is a 'gateway' game, but it's one that you could play with nongamers. Pretty fast moving too. I'm going to get my wife to try it, see if she likes it. I did, although I see that there's a free PnP expansion that makes it a little longer and adds some stuff.

Ubongo - I did better at this than I thought I would. Tangram type game using the piece set that was selected by die roll. The folks who taught me said the scorekeeping mechanism was stupid so we just took 2 gems for first, 1 for second, 0 for third.

Battlestar Galactica - Humans (me and another guy) kicked ass. There were times when we literally had nothing to do. Of course, there was no Cylon till phase 2, and only three players. We won this one handily. Nice to do occasionally. The closest we were to being in danger was to have 4 fuel at our last jump. (I, as Admiral, made a couple lucky rolls to gain fuel when choosing the destination.)

Ghost Stories - I had set this one up by myself and a buddy and I were trying to muddle through the manual when someone said "You want to learn to play? I'll teach you, the instructions are crap." We got a fourth and proceeded to get reamed by ghosts. I thought "We'll never make it through that ghost deck," then ten minutes later, "Wow, that deck went fast'. 9 square modular board making up a Chinese town, ghost card is drawn each turn and placed on one of the 12 spaces (3 each of 4 colors), your exorcist has to move on the board to be adjacent to a ghost and try to exorcise him by either rolling the right colors on the dice and/or playing appropriate colored tokens. The first four ghosts we got out included one who took away a die, and another who prevented us from using color tokens. I like this one, but it seems much more manageable as a game with exactly 4 players. It's tough, but the characters do have some very powerful special skills, you really have to use them. It's also a very cooperative game.

Password
Looping Louie - For these last two, it was between 0400 and and 0600 in the morning. They suited us just fine, and lots of laughs were had with the various clues in Password.

Finca - Again, medium weight, fast game of resource collection. I think I enjoyed it. Actually, I also won a copy at the con by guessing how many (plastic) rats were in a jar. I was off by one (714).

Skybridge - Tower building. Tower pieces can't touch the same color, you score for the tower that one of your two roofs is on, and if the towers with your two roofs are connected by one bridge, you score double. I won the second game, once we figured out how to score, but I didn't really like it. (the game, that is, i like winning.)

Samurai - area control/capture game by placing tiles of various 'suits' (buddha, rice, helmet). I lost this one by one. Deceptively strategic but still fast moving.

Wyatt Earp - I really enjoyed this one. Basically a rummy-like game, only the suits are Western desperadoes, with various bounties on their heads. Everyone who's played cards in that suit gets a cut of the bounty, unless the player with the most capture points on the card is ahead by 5 or more. You can also play sheriff cards that kick up bounties, give you more capture points, or negate other player's capture points.

Louis XIV - Not sure how to describe this one. I liked it more than I thought I would. You're "bidding" to have influence on people around Louis's court who can offer you favors if you have the most influence; you can use those favors to fulfill missions on cards that will give you bonuses and score you points at endgame.

Marracash - Great game. Apparently this wasn't sold in the US, the instructions were fully in German. Board has spaces signifying markets of four colors, blank spaces, and Fountain spaces, and will be populated by many little people icons of each of those four colors, and signs identifying player ownership. Round one: each person picks a store and auctions it. If he wins it, he owns it, if he doesn't, he gets a cut of the auction price. Rounds 2 and up: Player may move a group of shoppers to the next fountain space. If any of the shoppers pass a player-owned store of the shopper token's color, he goes into it. If it's the players store, player gets money. If it's another player's store, store owner player gets money, shopper moving player gets cut. The more shoppers in a store, the more money they're worth. Almost all of our stores were in the same area, and I had a monopoly in two colors.

I think I saw Endeavor, Dominion, Long Shot, and Small World being played the most throughout the weekend. I didn't make it to an Endeavor game.

Of the above list, I would like to get:
Long Shot
Looping Louie (my boy would love it)
Louis XIV
Wyatt Earp
Marracash
Roll through the Ages
Ghost Stories (if I could count of having 4 people to play)
Word on the Street
Red Dragon Inn (previous two, and Long Shot, for parties/gatherings)
Snow Tails
*maybe* Ubongo
(previous two, mainly to get my boy more into gaming, I think he'd like both of them)
(I already have Dominion base game and Small World, and won Finca)

And of course there were tons of games I didn't play. Over a hundred people in the hotel ballroom, and each person brought 5-100 games to add to the game library. At least one person filled up an entire hotel luggage cart (the wheely things) just their games. I felt like a pauper with my lowly 6 game contribution (only one of which got played [Thebes], but it got played multiple times.) There were stacks of games on tables along the walls, almost all the way around the room.

I may have missed a couple games, and some games were played more than once. All in all, a great, fun weekend. Lots of games and lots of gamers.

And for a humourous end: Someone at the con, posted a message with some games for sale. I bought Fluxx for a buck, and Zombies 1/2 for 10. I know, I've heard all the horror stories about Fluxx, but I thought at the least it would be a good silly game to play late nights or something, and what the hell, it was a buck. Made my wife play it last night (I never had played it either) and once she understood it (That's all I do? Draw a card and play a card?) she loved it and we played four or five times straight. Sometimes a game like that, even though it's not much of a game, is just the thing. (she only won once though, so she wasn't liking that.)

As you can tell, I generally like the medium length, medium complexity games. I'm not one for a four hour game of civ building or resource management. Apart from that, I'll try most anything, and can tolerate or like most anything.

Sorry for the length, hope between everyone, the entire thing got read :0[/QUOTE]

Wow you had quite the gaming experience ;)

[quote name='thrustbucket']Thanks for the post, it gave me some ideas on stuff to consider.

A couple thoughts: like Ghost Stories, BSG really really shines at 5 players. No more, no less. If you can play it with 5, it will be one of your favorite games.

Glad you won Finca - great light quick game nobody has heard of.[/QUOTE]

Have you gotten a chance to play BSG w/ the expansion? Based on your 5 player focus, I'm assuming you're not a sympathizer fan. Cylon leader fixes that!

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting my 9-year-old nephew into board gaming. Do you think the Heroscape games are age appropriate?[/QUOTE]

Iv never played it but I dont think so.....maybe content wise but not as far as getting him to understand the rules.

Iv got a friend thats a big heroscape fan though and im going to dinner with him tonight. He has a 8 year old too. So ill ask him and report back to you.

Ignore Magus, he's crazy.

Heroscape is perfect for 9 year olds. The full game is simple on its own, but every character card comes with two sides -- one for the basic rules which are actually insultingly easy. I wouldn't be surprised if the basic version bores even your nephew. He should be able to handle it all fine.

Edit: Magus, I know you're big on 2 player games for you and your wifey -- I HIGHLY recommend you check out Summoner Wars.

[quote name='infamyRISE']Ignore Magus, he's crazy.

Heroscape is perfect for 9 year olds. The full game is simple on its own, but every character card comes with two sides -- one for the basic rules which are actually insultingly easy. I wouldn't be surprised if the basic version bores even your nephew. He should be able to handle it all fine.

Edit: Magus, I know you're big on 2 player games for you and your wifey -- I HIGHLY recommend you check out Summoner Wars.[/QUOTE]

Not crazy just hadnt played it yet. Ill look into summoner wars but doubt ill be ordering anytime soon. Iv not been posting here but we have still been active both playing and buying. We are up to I think just over 80 games + many Xpacks in our collection! Heh it takes up a whole book shelf.

Games that have been being played the most
Small World - I think thrust is just a hater! Seriously we both love this game and despite his comment that people only love it because of the art style we both HATE the art style. The couple we play with loves it so much that they bought a copy and play it all the time too and it also gets broke out at the local game shop all the time.

Qwirkle - Best color/shape match game in our opinion. We still love many of the others like Ingenious but this one just seems to be the most stratagic while still keeping things simple and fast!

Cosari - This has been getting played more then anything recently. My wife absolutely is obsessed with this game! There are like 7 different colored cards in the deck, each color has numbers from 1-12 on them. The deck gets shuffled and 12 cards are delt to each player and 7 are delt face up in a row. From there you want to "set sail"(go out)with the best hand possible. The way this is done is to make 2 rows of the most matching numbers possible while discarding the highest cards in your hand.

You will have 3 essential things in your hand, your crew, your stow aways and your prisoners. Your crew are your "hand" which are the cards that dont count against you. Any numbers or cards can be your crew, but you can only use 2 colors in the making up of your crew and you cant have matching numbers(so if you decide your crew is going to be red and yellow you cant have a red 8 and 9 and a yellow 8 and 9). Your prisoners are any cards in your hand that match the top of the 7 cards delt to the table. So If the top card is a blue cards all the blue cards in your hand dont count against you. Problem is that every round a player picks up a card and discards a card. Generally people will either pick up from the top of the deck of cards or take the top discard pile card.....but they can also take one of those initial 7 cards delt out which will then change the color prisoners are. So you always have to be weary of planning your hand around prisoners because the prisoner color can change any second. The final thing in your hand is your stow aways which are any cards left over that count against you.

At any time you can "set sail" even on the very first round of the game! However other players will get to put any matching colors from there hand that isnt a number in your crew into your crew. So if I played a red 7, 8 and 9 and a blue 1, 5 and 11 and then went out and my wife has a red 4, 2 and 12 in her hand she can put them in my crew taking a lot of points out of her hand. She then creaters her crew, stow aways and prisoners. If I have the lower amount of points in stow away then we simply tally up both of our points and play the next round. Problem is if you set sail and you were wrong and have more points then your oppents you are penalized and have to take on ALL of their stowaways and they get a -10 for the round. Thus it makes it very risky to set sail without having a VERY good hand.

Its a fun, fast and simple little game. Your always trying to build the best crew, but at the same time since the color of the prisoner changes and what your opponet is tossing out changes your crew might change from moment to moment. Its only like $10 at amazon and like $7 at cheaper online stores. Highly rec the game.

Outside that its the same old stuff we have talked about in the past. Game of Lost Cities, Dominon/Intrigue, Mr Jack, Ticket to ride, Tzarr/Yinsh or other staples here and there and Wits and Wagers with the family.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I went ahead and bought it for him. There was a deal online for one of the master sets for only $30, so I jumped on it. I'll let you all know how the reception went after Christmas.

Anyone picked up the Agricola expansion?

I picked up and love Le Havre, Uwe Rosenbergs second in his agriculture trilogy. His third, Gates of Loyang, should be out this month.

Le Havre is a fun 2 player game for sure.

Also, I'm agitated that everyone always wants to come over and play Finca. If you like light pretty fun games then get Finca. It's a little too light and pretty for me though.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Anyone picked up the Agricola expansion?

I picked up and love Le Havre, Uwe Rosenbergs second in his agriculture trilogy. His third, Gates of Loyang, should be out this month.

Le Havre is a fun 2 player game for sure.

Also, I'm agitated that everyone always wants to come over and play Finca. If you like light pretty fun games then get Finca. It's a little too light and pretty for me though.[/QUOTE]

I will look into it but it will be a hard sale for the wife. She loved Agricola at first.....then she realized that no matter what I wasnt just beating her but beating her bad in the game. Of the 30 or so games we have played iv probably beat her by 20 points at least every game and many of them are 30+ point differences. I also think its not her style of game too since she also disliked Stone Age.

Interesting, usually Agricola games go very tight. The only way you can really screw that game up is if you focus too much on one thing, as you have to do a little bit of everything.

Le Havre is easier to play and has limitless strategies. You always have lots of good options to choose from rather than a few good and a few bad. It's less stressful than Agricola, but it probably is deeper. It's hard to explain but it's easier to learn to play but much harder to master, compared to Agricola.

Ummmm yeah so Le Havre def goes on the list with Galaxy Trucker and Age of Steam for games that look cool but wont be bought untill I demo them with a friend/at a game store first. I just cant justify spending $50+ for any game without knowing its quality. Especially when we sitll have a dozen supposedly great games like Notre Dame, Arkadia, San Juan and Puerto Rico sitting on the shelf unplayed.

Oooooh so THAT'S why Gates at Loyang is getting super hype.

The Agriculture trilogy has been a huge bust for me so far. Its micromanaging at its worst IMO. I'll steer clear of this one.

Chaos in the Old World, Crokinole, No Thanks, Summoner Wars, Robo Rally, and Battlestar are still the go-to staples here.

I'm mega pumped for Runewars. I've always been interested in Twilight Imperium, but not its play length. I also prefer fantasy ever so slightly over sci-fi, where applicable. Must have, and pre-ordered!

[quote name='infamyRISE']Oooooh so THAT'S why Gates at Loyang is getting super hype.

The Agriculture trilogy has been a huge bust for me so far. Its micromanaging at its worst IMO. I'll steer clear of this one.

Chaos in the Old World, Crokinole, No Thanks, Summoner Wars, Robo Rally, and Battlestar are still the go-to staples here.

I'm mega pumped for Runewars. I've always been interested in Twilight Imperium, but not its play length. I also prefer fantasy ever so slightly over sci-fi, where applicable. Must have, and pre-ordered![/QUOTE]

Id really love to get a Crokinole board but every decent one I see is like $150-$200 min!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Id really love to get a Crokinole board but every decent one I see is like $150-$200 min![/QUOTE]

Worth every cent. Crokinole is timeless in its simpleness and strategy, like billiards. Set aside a little every paycheck, and you'll have enough for a Hilinski before you know it.

played race for the galaxy for the first time with some friends. i didnt dig it. not sure specifically... maybe it was just a bad first game, but i could not get into it.

bread's done
Back