Official Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread

Alright so version 2.3 for Google Chrome just got uploaded, here is the changelog:

v2.3
-----
: Fixed a bug in case-sensitive OS platforms
+ Localized price history information, it runs internally now
+ Reduced the number of GET requests overall, should help speed up performance
+ added an "add to cart" button on the wishlist page for each item

Basically, it removed the HTTP request for pricing data altogether so it should work even if my site is down (which, hopefully, it never will be again).

The new feature for this release is the "Add to cart" button that has been added to each item on your (and your friend's!) wishlist.

EDIT: Actually, found a pretty glaring bug (DOH!) so now it's version 2.4! Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw your post about the update today in the steam thread and it got me thinking of a few ideas for features for the wishlist page. Would it be possible to add to the wishlist page maybe at the top or bottom the current cost of everything on your wishlist? On the subject of the add items to cart addition would it be possible to also add a add all items to the cart button? and my last thought because I know it can highlight things you own. Would it be possible to add highlighting to items on the wishlist based on what it is? Such as highlighting dlc and games different colors.

Thanks for the awesome extension jshackles.

[quote name='CthulhuSaves']Hiya,

Just found out about this. Nice!

Any chance of a version for us Opera users?[/QUOTE]

Approximately five minutes after the fat lady sings

Ok, I've been going through and suggesting categories for some DLC and I'm having trouble trying to figure out what classifies some DLC as being an "Add-On" or a "Full Expansion." How much content does there need to be to be considered as one or there other?

For example, I've labeled the following as such:
Defense Grid (You Monster DLC) - Full Expansion
RAGE (The Scorchers DLC) - Add-On
PAYDAY (Wolf Pack) - Add-On
Trine 2 (Goblin Menace) - Full Expansion

I thought for indie games with a smaller development team, such as Trine 2 and Defense Grid, those DLC items could be considered as Full Expansions.

Thoughts/opinions?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Ok, I've been going through and suggesting categories for some DLC and I'm having trouble trying to figure out what classifies some DLC as being an "Add-On" or a "Full Expansion." How much content does there need to be to be considered as one or there other?

For example, I've labeled the following as such:
Defense Grid (You Monster DLC) - Full Expansion
RAGE (The Scorchers DLC) - Add-On
PAYDAY (Wolf Pack) - Add-On
Trine 2 (Goblin Menace) - Full Expansion

I thought for indie games with a smaller development team, such as Trine 2 and Defense Grid, those DLC items could be considered as Full Expansions.

Thoughts/opinions?[/QUOTE]

I've been using the "Add-On" classification for something that doesn't really add anything new to the game besides simply more content - things that could have originally been shipped with the game, but were not. Thus, they were "added on" at a later day. Some popular examples of this category are Rocksmith tracks and Train Simulator trains. This is usually used for a single piece of content that doesn't fit any other category (not a new gun, new character, etc).

"Full expansion" I've been using as a piece of DLC that adds more than three of the other classifications (as a general rule of thumb). So good call on Defense Grid You Monster DLC. It adds a new single player campaign, new items, new maps, and new gameplay modes. Also, sometimes being classified as an expansion could be as simple as them calling it "an expansion pack" which they've done in this instance.

I'm not entirely familiar with the Payday Wolf Pack (I haven't played this game) but just by reading the description I would guess it would be:

• New In-Game Items (new guns)
  • New Maps or Game Areas (new heist levels, could be single player content instead not sure)
  • New gameplay mode (technician specialty)

If there is something else included here that I don't know about or can't gleam from the description, it tips the scales into just being a "Full Expansion".

I hope this makes sense! Let me know if you have any other questions or feedback.

Ah, ok. That clears things up nicely. Thanks jshaq.

Also, I've noticed that when you redeem a key, it doesn't show up "x now owns y" in Friend Activity. It's only if you buy something from the store. I assume it's something that won't ever be a possibility in Enhanced Steam, but has any of your digging revealed why this might be?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Ah, ok. That clears things up nicely. Thanks jshaq.

Also, I've noticed that when you redeem a key, it doesn't show up "x now owns y" in Friend Activity. It's only if you buy something from the store. I assume it's something that won't ever be a possibility in Enhanced Steam, but has any of your digging revealed why this might be?[/QUOTE]

There isn't anything in the code to suggest one way or the other. I always just assumed it was a way to get you to buy stuff directly from them. :D

I had given some brief thought to adding some social / community type features to Enhanced Steam that would integrate with the Steam community pages. Something along the lines of a page on Enhanced Steam where you would create an account there that was tied to your Steam account, then you could go to that page and enter things like game purchases you made from other sites and how much you paid. Those purchases would then show up in your community feed, but only for your friends that have the extension installed. It would also tally those purchases in your "total purchases on Steam".

I just don't know if there would be any interest or not.

I'm putting the finishing touches on version 2.5 finally (sorry for the development gap)

This version will have quite a few bug fixes and for new features it includes ratings / certifications from the Widescreen Gaming Forum which detail which games work well with widescreen formats, and which work well with multiple monitors / eyefinity setups.

Yeah it should work out pretty well. One of their forum members suggested it and I've been working with their admins to get a proper data feed set up. It will look like this:

VAbGiNU.png

(Where you would normally see "Awards") and for those not accustomed to their ratings, the mouseover text is the same as their site

WfDueyx.png

There is also a link back to their site for more information.

Of course, it's something you can turn off in the options. Since it's cross domain stuff, it's only going to work in Firefox for now.

Version 2.5 has been released!

Chrome users should be getting updated automatically. This version adds:

• WSGF Certification support (see above)
  • The ability to replace the Greenlight banner

Here is a preview of the Greenlight change:

Before (This is normal)

After:
TfYBN4W.png

The banner change is OFF by default, but if you'd like to enable it you can do so from within the settings page under "Community".

[quote name='dfg']Is the WSGF stuff live for Firefox yet? I still only see 1.6 on es.com[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I'm still unable to figure out how exactly (if it's even possible) to do "cross domain scripting" in the Firefox addon. So any new feature that pulls data in from another site, in this case WSGF, will be Chrome only until that's resolved.

If there is anyone within the sound of my voice that's ever done this or could point me in the right direction, there are a TON of features I'd love to implement in Firefox!

[quote name='jshackles']Unfortunately I'm still unable to figure out how exactly (if it's even possible) to do "cross domain scripting" in the Firefox addon. So any new feature that pulls data in from another site, in this case WSGF, will be Chrome only until that's resolved.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, but I think then you made a slip of the fingers previously:

[quote name='jshackles']Of course, it's something you can turn off in the options. Since it's cross domain stuff, it's only going to work in Firefox for now.[/QUOTE]

I see the WSGF badges on the Crysis page (in Chrome). Great stuff as usual jshaq!

[quote name='dfg']Gotcha, but I think then you made a slip of the fingers previously:
[/QUOTE]
Yep I screwed that one up pretty good. :)

[quote name='dfg']
I see the WSGF badges on the Crysis page (in Chrome). Great stuff as usual jshaq![/QUOTE]

Thanks! If I get some spare time this weekend (I have to work tomorrow, ugh!) I'm going to try to tackle the Firefox cross-domain issues. If not, I do have a week off for spring break coming up soon, about 4 days of which I'll be home.

Additionally, a huge "THANK YOU" to everyone who has rated the extension on the Chrome Web Store! Enhanced Steam is currently the #1 rated extension for shopping!

hP8rppf.png

[quote name='jshackles']

Additionally, a huge "THANK YOU" to everyone who has rated the extension on the Chrome Web Store! Enhanced Steam is currently the #1 rated extension for shopping!

[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks for all your continued hard work on this. It really does make a difference when it comes to shopping on Steam. In tribute to your amazing work, here's a lovely poem for you. Just imagine the noun version of "rock" is 'jshackles" and instead of "sits," think "programs cool shit to make our digital lives easier." ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XouQmo7LmV8

Working on some code to highlight the daily deal (it's more complicated than it should be).

Long story short, I'm not able to resize the image itself (yet) and move the timer appropriately. The end result looks like this:

isTFEbY.png

EDIT:

Nevermind, got it.

dF7ZY3q.png

I've submitted version 2.0 of the Firefox extension to Mozilla. Once they review the code, it should automatically update for those of you that have it installed.

Version 2.0 back-ports a lot of the previously "Chrome Only" features into the Firefox version. This includes DLC categorization, WSGF certifications, pricing history, and Metacritic user scores.

[quote name='jshackles']I've submitted version 2.0 of the Firefox extension to Mozilla. Once they review the code, it should automatically update for those of you that have it installed.

Version 2.0 back-ports a lot of the previously "Chrome Only" features into the Firefox version. This includes DLC categorization, WSGF certifications, pricing history, and Metacritic user scores.[/QUOTE]

Awesome!!! Thanks man. =D

[quote name='jshackles']I've submitted version 2.0 of the Firefox extension to Mozilla. Once they review the code, it should automatically update for those of you that have it installed.

Version 2.0 back-ports a lot of the previously "Chrome Only" features into the Firefox version. This includes DLC categorization, WSGF certifications, pricing history, and Metacritic user scores.[/QUOTE]

Awww yeah, thanks a lot keeping up supporting the Firefox extension. :applause:

[quote name='Motoki']People over at the SPUF seem to have drawn a correlation between the image icons not showing up for some games in the wish list and those games not showing up on people's list of games when you look at their profiles.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34201793&postcount=52

I wonder if this is something that can be fixed like the image links got fixed.[/QUOTE]

Ah makes sense I suppose I never noticed. Should be an easy thing to fix in the code but I'm on Spring Break with the family til Friday. I have every confidence that I will be able to fix that this weekend. :)

[quote name='CthulhuSaves']Just repeating my earlier question, will there ever be an Opera version of this? That would be insanely cool.[/QUOTE]

Sorry there currently are no plans to create an Opera version, but if someone were interested in making one I would be happy to share the code I have.

Currently I'm only focusing on Chrome and Firefox.

[quote name='Motoki']People over at the SPUF seem to have drawn a correlation between the image icons not showing up for some games in the wish list and those games not showing up on people's list of games when you look at their profiles.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34201793&postcount=52

I wonder if this is something that can be fixed like the image links got fixed.[/QUOTE]

So upon looking at this further, I'm not sure if there is much that Enhanced Steam can do here. I thought maybe it was just a matter of the items not displaying correctly because they had no image, but it turns out that the data for these particular games isn't being returned AT ALL on that page. Bummer.

[quote name='jshackles']So upon looking at this further, I'm not sure if there is much that Enhanced Steam can do here. I thought maybe it was just a matter of the items not displaying correctly because they had no image, but it turns out that the data for these particular games isn't being returned AT ALL on that page. Bummer.[/QUOTE]

Aww man. I've had people go 'hey you don't own such and such game' and I'm like 'Uh, yes I do'. I mean if I try to put it in my cart or someone tries to gift it to me it will say I already own it I just wish there was a way to pull that info through the to profile.

Some people on the SPUF thread were trying to argue with me that the wishlist images not showing was because of the developers and not Valve. One person said the developers didn't give the images at all and when I said they are on the servers someone else said the developers didn't flag the image right or some such.

Anyway, it's curiouser and curiouser that the same set of games seem to be both screwed up on the wishlist images and people's profiles. I'd say Valve should fix it but I am not going to hold my breath.

I'm going to check out the Steam web APIs. I think if your profile is set to public, then anyone can access which games you currently own via the web API. Recently another developer pointed that out to me, so I'm looking into using it in cool and interesting ways.

If the particular game in question shows that you do indeed own it via the web API, it shouldn't be difficult to add it to the list of owned games.

Which game in particular do you own that isn't showing up on your list?

[quote name='jshackles']
Which game in particular do you own that isn't showing up on your list?[/QUOTE]

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
Any of the Legacy of Kane stuff
King Arthur: Fallen Champions
A couple of the New Vegas DLC (Old World Blues and Lonesome Road)
Noitu Love 2

Also Sacred 2 does not show on profiles even though I don't own it. For example I believe that I saw that you bought it a while back but it does not show on your profile.

Basically any game on this list will not show on profiles: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3065756

On a completely unrelated note, is there any way the "add to cart" buttons on the wishlist can add the games to the carts without directly taking you to the cart page? I'm going through my list now for the last minutes of the indie sale trying to add a bunch of stuff and every time I do I have to page back to the wishlist again. Would be easier if it just kept adding it and then I could just click on the cart link when I am done.

[quote name='Motoki']
On a completely unrelated note, is there any way the "add to cart" buttons on the wishlist can add the games to the carts without directly taking you to the cart page? I'm going through my list now for the last minutes of the indie sale trying to add a bunch of stuff and every time I do I have to page back to the wishlist again. Would be easier if it just kept adding it and then I could just click on the cart link when I am done.[/QUOTE]

I've looked in to this, but the only way it could be done would to be to load the shopping cart page into an invisible iFrame on the same page, which I'm not sure if even Google Chrome's (in comparison) lax security would allow. I'll keep checking though, sorry for the trouble.

I'd also like to announce that I'm now accepting donations in Bitcoin! You can find the QR code and link on my homepage at http://www.enhancedsteam.com/donate.php. You can also send donations directly to 16Gi8pJTReLBMF7hPfB6VZhSp5L2nKDXbc

I figure there might be more than a few of you guys with high powered gaming graphics cards that you could also be using to mine bitcoins in their off time. ;)

[quote name='jshackles']I've looked in to this, but the only way it could be done would to be to load the shopping cart page into an invisible iFrame on the same page, which I'm not sure if even Google Chrome's (in comparison) lax security would allow. I'll keep checking though, sorry for the trouble.
[/QUOTE]

And I guess checkboxes and then an 'add all checked items to cart' button wouldn't work either?

If not it's fine. Don't worry about it. Thanks for checking though.

Sometimes I feel like Valve don't even use their own site. I think it's pretty common for people to go through their wishlist on the last day of a big sale and add multiple items to their cart.

Then again I guess since Valve employees automatically own every game on Steam they don't need to worry about such things. :roll:

[quote name='Motoki']And I guess checkboxes and then an 'add all checked items to cart' button wouldn't work either?

If not it's fine. Don't worry about it. Thanks for checking though.

Sometimes I feel like Valve don't even use their own site. I think it's pretty common for people to go through their wishlist on the last day of a big sale and add multiple items to their cart.

Then again I guess since Valve employees automatically own every game on Steam they don't need to worry about such things. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Their cart page (and code) is an absolute mess. To add something to the shopping cart requires an HTTP POST. Even building the "add to cart" button for the wishlist was a mess because their shopping cart IDs for each game do not match their App IDs. Since the shopping cart ID for each game is nowhere to be found on the wishlist itself, the extension loads the store page for each game, finds the form that contains the ID, and passes it back to the wishlist page. All very messy.

I really wouldn't think it'd be too hard to implement something like that, and quite honestly I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet officially. What is the worst that could happen? It would encourage people to buy more games, I would think.

If I had access to the codebase itself on the Steam servers, I'm certain I could implement changes like this. If anyone from Valve is reading this - I'm ready for my interview!

I just wanted to say that I am very very impressed with this program. If there is any way for you to also introduce some sort of PCGamingWiki integration that would be all kinds of amazing, and a lot of people would find it useful (especially me!), especially as you already have WSGF integration.

[quote name='Andytizer']I just wanted to say that I am very very impressed with this program. If there is any way for you to also introduce some sort of PCGamingWiki integration that would be all kinds of amazing, and a lot of people would find it useful (especially me!), especially as you already have WSGF integration.[/QUOTE]

Like any other type of integration, there has to be some way to tie the information together. I can't be held responsible for creating a database that says Steam AppID 8870 (Bioshock Infinite) = PC Gaming Wiki url /wiki/Bioshock_infinite

[quote name='Motoki']Somehow I hadn't really used PCGamingWiki before, but noticed there's talk about moving the flibitijibibo Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam there.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34252290#post34252290

That could be useful. I kind of think the whole DRM thing could use wiki'fying since Steam is bad about proving the correct info at times and that's a lot to put on one person to maintain that list.[/QUOTE]

The nice thing about wikis like this (that use MediaWiki as their base code) is that there is a built in API that is enabled by default. I've coded many projects in the past using MediaWiki API calls, and they're usually pretty painless.

If PCGamingWiki implemented a page parameter that had the Steam App ID embedded into it, it'd be a heck of a lot easier to work with.

Enhanced Steam has been updated with a bugfix version of 2.7 for Google Chrome and 2.1 for Mozilla Firefox. The following bugs were fixed:

• Fixed a bug when setting the default greenlight banner option
  • Fixed a bug which showed Tages on all games in German store
  • Fixed a bug on some games which have no DRM but were showing DRM banner

Additionally, I want to give a huge "Thank you" again to the community. The extension is starting to get some press in some online news outlets, and I'm getting 500+ installs daily now! :applause:

www.EnhancedSteam.com/press.php

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Interesting. So is it going to be looking at everything in inventory (i.e., you have this game sitting in your inventory), or just coupons?[/QUOTE]

I have access to both, was thinking of doing both but with different colors. The coupon one will add a dialog about "You have a coupon for this game..." to the store page also.

Also, owning a game will supersede it being in your inventory or a coupon, so if you have a coupon for a game you already own, it will still be highlighted in green (though it'll still have the bit on the product page).

Lots of new stuff - if anyone is interested in helping contribute, I have a repository set up on Github now. Let me know if interested!

[quote name='jshackles']I have access to both, was thinking of doing both but with different colors. The coupon one will add a dialog about "You have a coupon for this game..." to the store page also.

Also, owning a game will supersede it being in your inventory or a coupon, so if you have a coupon for a game you already own, it will still be highlighted in green (though it'll still have the bit on the product page).

Lots of new stuff - if anyone is interested in helping contribute, I have a repository set up on Github now. Let me know if interested![/QUOTE]

Will the product page's price change to reflect the price after coupon?

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Will the product page's price change to reflect the price after coupon?[/QUOTE]

Looking into that as well. The (somewhat) problem is that like most things, it's like Valve made it almost intentionally difficult. Rather than listing the AppIDs for the items coupons can be used on, they have YET ANOTHER ID that ties into the search results.

So the way it works right now is this: you browse to Steam, and Enhanced Steam grabs your coupon IDs, finds the search ID for that coupon, then uses that to load the search results to find the correct App ID for each coupon.

It's needlessly complicated and could be easily fixed if Valve would simply put the Steam App IDs for the applicable titles into their coupon data feed.

SO I'm hoping that I'll be able to pull this data and update the page appropriately with the correct discount, but to do so will require that I essentially do the above steps in reverse. :cool:

EDIT: Got it!
LIC7SPt.png

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Damn, man. You're quick.[/QUOTE]

Right now it only works with games that are not currently on sale. It won't calculate combined discounts (yet). It also only works with the first item returned on the coupon results. I know some coupons are "10% off any Valve game" or whatever, but I don't have any of those to test with (hint! hint!)

So it has it's limitations, but it's coming along nicely. :D

Version 2.8 has been released to Google Chrome. Firefox update coming soon, though unfortunately many of the new features will not be possible in Firefox.

Coupon highlighting is still a bit of a work in progress, but it'd be great if those of you with coupons in your inventory can browse out to the game pages for those coupons and let me know if everything is working correctly.

Here is the changelog for v2.8:
+ Added profile links to various web services
+ Added forum link in community drop down
+ Added coupon highlighting and app page coupon notifications and pricing
+ Added Enhanced Steam option page link to header
+ Added option to remove "Install Steam" button on each page at the top

Great update. I've already hidden my install steam button and the coupon stuff works correctly for both coupons I have on my account. Thanks!

bread's done
Back