Official Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread

Is it possible to do a hide free to play/free games that everyone 'owns' toggle sort of like the show/hide DLC toggle?

It kind of throws me off a little to see them highlighted in green and I go 'Wait did I buy that? Oh, F2P :p'

[quote name='hatefish']I disabled AutoCopy 2 got this http://i.imgur.com/xQeGVF2.jpg & http://i.imgur.com/b1MERai.jpg

still nothing from enhanced steam.[/QUOTE]

That's very strange - those error messages are definitely not coming from Enhanced Steam though. :(

[quote name='Motoki']Is it possible to do a hide free to play/free games that everyone 'owns' toggle sort of like the show/hide DLC toggle?

It kind of throws me off a little to see them highlighted in green and I go 'Wait did I buy that? Oh, F2P :p'[/QUOTE]

I'm looking into this for the next update. It's a byproduct of moving to the (much faster) Steam storefront API. Since Valve considers F2P games as owned by everyone, their API reports that you own them.

Additional, I'm working on getting price history set up for the next version. Here is a screenshot of what it will look like by default:

DHWiR8o.png

If you uncheck "All" you can select the individual stores:

y8RsmBl.png

With individual stores selected, it will filter the price history and current best prices to only those selected stores. So for example, let's say you leave them all checked besides Origin. If Origin was having a sale on say, The Sims 3 Pets, and you went to that Steam page the price history wouldn't show the current Origin price for that game and would exclude Origin prices from the historical low.

Working with IsThereAnyDeal, I've now got a new feature set up that is usable right away.

h7XUXl2.png

Basically if an item is on sale elsewhere (besides Steam), and IsThereAnyDeal has confirmed that it can be activated on Steam, the "Lowest Price" section will have "(Activates on Steam)" next to the store name. If it doesn't have it, that means either it doesn't or it might but it hasn't been confirmed. In those cases, you'll need to check the product page yourself, like always. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I was actually going to ask if you could denote activates on Steam when bought elsewhere vs doesn't but I thought it would be too much of a PITA to get working. ;)

That's a very useful feature, so thanks for looking into it.

There are a few oddball games that activate on Steam at some stores but not on others though. And obviously nothing on GOG ever will.

The Steam activation is store-specific. So for example you could have one store that sells a code that activates on Steam, while another store uses SecuRom. ITAD differentiates between the different store's DRM, so hopefully anything that says (Activates on Steam) actually does.

Also, I'm in the new profile beta which completely breaks the profile links in Enhanced Steam (no surprise) so here is what the new profile links will look like:

fD5HVKW.png

There is (for now) code that will check to see which profile you have. The old links will work exactly the same way, but if it detects you're browsing a new profile it will add the new links.

Version 3.2 released! Here is the changelog:

• Added ability to filter price history to user selected stores
  • Added "Credits" section to the options page, giving credit to contributors
  • Added "Reset all options to Default Settings" on "About" page in options
  • Profile links now work correctly with the new Steam profile beta
  • Added German translation, courtesy of Timmaeh Elbert

And....

Speaking of Firefox: here is a preview of 2.4 (assuming 2.3 ever gets released by Mozilla!)

JCOZq2u.png

Firefox will now have it's own options page.

More updates!

In the upcoming version, Enhanced Steam will identify "packs". If you own ALL of the games from a pack, it will mark it as owned.

P4Sen2c.png

So I know I asked for this before but Magic being on sale again has reminded me of it.

Any chance we can ever get the DLC categorization to list on the main game page in the DLC list so I can just see at a glance what is what type of DLC without having to go and click on every single individual DLC's page one by one?

Even just little icons and then maybe a translation key for the icons somewhere would be awesome.

I just want a TL;DR version of DLC A,B & C is content and DLC X,Y & Z is cosmetic etc. all on the same page, if that's doable?

[quote name='Motoki']
I just want a TL;DR version of DLC A,B & C is content and DLC X,Y & Z is cosmetic etc. all on the same page, if that's doable?[/QUOTE]

I was looking at dropping it into the pop-up box:

K4kvvYM.png

That way you can stay on the same page but mouse over the DLC to see it's categories. Would that work?

It's better than going to each page for sure, I think I would probably prefer to see everything on one list even if it was just tiny little icons on the listings, just something but the hover would still be an improvement.

[quote name='jshackles']I was looking at dropping it into the pop-up box:

K4kvvYM.png

That way you can stay on the same page but mouse over the DLC to see it's categories. Would that work?[/QUOTE]

I think that sounds like an amazing option.

Just an idea don't know how possible it would be, but it would be great if it was possible to see the historical low/lowest price of games on our WL.

Also, I really appreciate the work you have put into this extension.

Is it possible for you to add an option that makes the activity page not highlight anything? At least not on own activities

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Just an idea don't know how possible it would be, but it would be great if it was possible to see the historical low/lowest price of games on our WL.

Also, I really appreciate the work you have put into this extension.[/QUOTE]

There are a few changes coming to the wishlist functionality soon. More on that when it gets more hashed out, but it will include adding the price history. :)

[quote name='Severose']Just curious, but are you a web developer by trade?[/QUOTE]

Actually, not at the moment though I have worked as a programmer/developer in the past. I really just work on Enhanced Steam in my spare time to keep my skills sharp.

[quote name='Deques']Is it possible for you to add an option that makes the activity page not highlight anything? At least not on own activities[/QUOTE]

One of the things I'm working on for an upcoming version is a place in the options page where the user can select exactly which placed they'd like to have highlighted. The default will be "all".

Also - version 3.3 was released earlier today for Google Chrome. Mozilla has yet to certify the version I turned over to them over a week ago, and once they do I have another version ready to be submitted.

Cheers!

[quote name='jshackles']There are a few changes coming to the wishlist functionality soon. More on that when it gets more hashed out, but it will include adding the price history. :)

Actually, not at the moment though I have worked as a programmer/developer in the past. I really just work on Enhanced Steam in my spare time to keep my skills sharp.

One of the things I'm working on for an upcoming version is a place in the options page where the user can select exactly which placed they'd like to have highlighted. The default will be "all".

Also - version 3.3 was released earlier today for Google Chrome. Mozilla has yet to certify the version I turned over to them over a week ago, and once they do I have another version ready to be submitted.

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Well damn, Enhanced Steam is at a level that I'd look at as something pumped out by a company at a professional level. You're working alone though, and you don't even do this for a living anymore lol. Nice job man.

Hey. I have been using Enhanced Steam for Chrome since the initial release and it quickly turned into my favourite extension for Chrome. The speed of which you have been adding and updating features is impressive.

However I'm currently testing Opera Next based on Webkit and I'm planning on moving over from Chrome when it gets mature enough. I read on the previous page that you had no plans to port Enhanced Steam to Opera, but is there a small chance that you might reconsider?

[quote name='Severose']Well damn, Enhanced Steam is at a level that I'd look at as something pumped out by a company at a professional level. You're working alone though, and you don't even do this for a living anymore lol. Nice job man.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Zeknurn']Hey. I have been using Enhanced Steam for Chrome since the initial release and it quickly turned into my favourite extension for Chrome. The speed of which you have been adding and updating features is impressive.[/QUOTE]

Thanks both! Although technically I'm not alone and have had help writing pieces of the extension since I released the open-source code on Github.

[quote name='Zeknurn']However I'm currently testing Opera Next based on Webkit and I'm planning on moving over from Chrome when it gets mature enough. I read on the previous page that you had no plans to port Enhanced Steam to Opera, but is there a small chance that you might reconsider?[/QUOTE]

I actually do have an Opera version in the works. In fact, it works 100% the same as the Firefox version but with one caveat. The way Opera's extensions work (directly injecting code in the page) the Opera extension conflict's with Steam's use of the Prototype javascript framework.

Once I figure that nasty little bit out, I'll be releasing an Opera version of Enhanced Steam.

I'm getting some coupon funkiness now that Sniper Ghost Warrior is on sale:

couponi.jpg

Besides the fact that it says (Valid until [date]1395752400[/date]) the two DLC are tagged with a coupon but the Gold edition already includes the DLC and the coupon doesn't apply to the DLC by themselves anyhow (not sure why Steam still sells them).

Also this is one of those coupons that you can't use while the game is on sale so not sure if SE is supposed to reflect that somehow?

[quote name='jshackles']There are a few changes coming to the wishlist functionality soon. More on that when it gets more hashed out, but it will include adding the price history. :)

[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Solid work, mate.

[quote name='Motoki']I'm getting some coupon funkiness now that Sniper Ghost Warrior is on sale:

couponi.jpg

Besides the fact that it says (Valid until [date]1395752400[/date]) the two DLC are tagged with a coupon but the Gold edition already includes the DLC and the coupon doesn't apply to the DLC by themselves anyhow (not sure why Steam still sells them).

Also this is one of those coupons that you can't use while the game is on sale so not sure if SE is supposed to reflect that somehow?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I noticed that Valve changed the "valid until" line to include the unix timestamp instead of the actual date, that will be corrected in the next version. Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do about the buggy Sniper coupon. The problem is that the coupon is for the "Gold Edition", which is essentially a "package deal" that includes the DLC. The way that it pulls that data from the API, it appears that the coupon should indeed work on the DLC but that simply isn't the case. It doesn't do that with everything. I checked with Shogun 2 that I have a coupon for, and it doesn't show that any of the DLC is applicable, which is correct.

So it seems to be isolated to JUST games which have coupons but are ONLY sold as part of a "bundle".

[quote name='Frithsblessing']:applause:

Solid work, mate.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Something else I'm working on that is wishlist related: I'm writing some code that will let you add bundles to your wishlist. Unofficially, of course.

No worries on that Sniper Ghost Warrior DLC. It's kind of an odd situation. I'm not really sure why they even sell the separate DLC anymore anyway unless it's for people that may have bought the game a long time ago before the gold version.

Oh but just for clarity, does Steam Enhanced normally make a distinction between coupons that stack with sales vs coupons that do not? It's hard to tell with Sniper because it's all messed up.

I noticed when they don't stack with sales you can't use the coupon at all until the sale is done. For example although Sniper would be cheaper for me with the coupon, I can't use it right now because the sale is on and you can't combine them. Steam doesn't give you the option to opt out of sales if you want to use a coupon, even if the coupon is a better deal.

[quote name='Motoki']No worries on that Sniper Ghost Warrior DLC. It's kind of an odd situation. I'm not really sure why they even sell the separate DLC anymore anyway unless it's for people that may have bought the game a long time ago before the gold version.

Oh but just for clarity, does Steam Enhanced normally make a distinction between coupons that stack with sales vs coupons that do not? It's hard to tell with Sniper because it's all messed up.

I noticed when they don't stack with sales you can't use the coupon at all until the sale is done. For example although Sniper would be cheaper for me with the coupon, I can't use it right now because the sale is on and you can't combine them. Steam doesn't give you the option to opt out of sales if you want to use a coupon, even if the coupon is a better deal.[/QUOTE]

Enhanced Steam tracks whether or not the coupon can stack with discounts, but currently it's only being used to change the price next to "add to cart" to reflect the proper discount.

It's weird - I've had other coupons that didn't stack with sales but I've been able to apply them instead of the discount. So either they've changed something, or it's set somehow on a per-coupon basis.

I seem to remember with Death Rally back in December there was a big to do because they issued coupons but then people couldn't use them because a sale was on (winter sale). A bunch of people complained on their Facebook page etc. I guess they must have said something to Valve because to my recollection the coupons then got enabled even with the sale, but it of course was an either/or thing.

Opera version is complete! I've uploaded it to the Opera extension repository, which will likely take a couple of days for them to review (I imagine their process is similar to Mozilla's).

submitted.png

In the mean time, you can click here to install Enhanced Steam for Opera. (This version will not automatically update)

Cheers!

EDIT: Oh and for those wondering about the Firefox version that was released almost 2 weeks ago, I'm in "Queue Position: 31 of 108" for review... groan

The next version of Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome will include highlighting for the new Steam Trading Cards. These are fun to collect and trade, but when you’re on the marketplace there is no easy way to tell which cards you already own, and (for me) this meant a lot of flipping back and forth between the marketplace and my inventory.

cardhighlights.png

This will also highlight things like profile backgrounds and emoticons that are in your inventory.

Just wanted to let you know that the "Downloadable Content Details" window doesn't show when language is set to Polish in steam (my account -> change language), regardless of what is set in Enhanced Steam options.

When I set Steam language to English the window shows again.

[quote name='mrmahon']Just wanted to let you know that the "Downloadable Content Details" window doesn't show when language is set to Polish in steam (my account -> change language), regardless of what is set in Enhanced Steam options.

When I set Steam language to English the window shows again.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing out the bug! I'll get it fixed in the next version.

Cheers!

I got notice this morning that Mozilla rejected the latest version of Enhanced Steam for Firefox, because some of the code wasn't as tidy as they'd like it. Even though that same code was in version 2.2 :roll: That version (2.3) was submitted to them exactly 2 weeks ago and there have been major changes in the Firefox code since then.

Version 2.6 was sent to them this morning, so hopefully in the next few weeks Firefox users will finally get the new code changes!

Still no news on the Opera code, just says "This version has been submitted but the moderation process has not started yet." Since this is the first Opera extension I've ever created, I'm unsure of how quick their review process is.

Finally in Chrome news (where there is no review process, thankfully) at M_F_A_H's suggestion, I've started working on changes to the inventory screen: mostly just adding a "lowest sale price" to marketable Steam Community items. It looks like this:

marketprice.png

I've got about 6 major changes to the Chrome code including Japanese and French translations, so I may be releasing version 3.4 earlier than scheduled.

As usual, excellent work, jshaq.

Out of curiosity, when you visited Valve, was there anything in regards to ES and what you've been doing where they said something like "we don't like this feature" or "we'd rather you not do such-and-such" or was their reaction all positive?

[quote name='dfg']As usual, excellent work, jshaq.

Out of curiosity, when you visited Valve, was there anything in regards to ES and what you've been doing where they said something like "we don't like this feature" or "we'd rather you not do such-and-such" or was their reaction all positive?[/QUOTE]

At least from the people I spoke to, the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. They said things like "We really like to see people able to interact with Steam in cool new ways". The one feature I thought they would grill me on was the pricing history, but that didn't even come up. Now my next new feature, they may not like so much.... let me explain.

I don't like paying for profile backgrounds. Or, subsequently, collecting cards crafting badges etc so I can make cosmetic changes. So I decided that Enhanced Steam can help.

Meg72ay.png

6apsIAV.png

Basically, you can set a separate (free) profile background that will show up for people that are also using Enhanced Steam. Anyone not using Enhanced Steam (or just using the client) will see the profile you set publicly (like normal).

For now, it will just include the profile backgrounds that Valve has. You can't upload your own. But you can choose which one you want and have it display without paying for it. And if you want your friends to see your profile the way you do, you can have them install Enhanced Steam. :)

What do you guys think?

[quote name='jshackles'][CUSTOMSPOILER=Snip]At least from the people I spoke to, the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. They said things like "We really like to see people able to interact with Steam in cool new ways". The one feature I thought they would grill me on was the pricing history, but that didn't even come up. Now my next new feature, they may not like so much.... let me explain.

I don't like paying for profile backgrounds. Or, subsequently, collecting cards crafting badges etc so I can make cosmetic changes. So I decided that Enhanced Steam can help.

Meg72ay.png

6apsIAV.png

Basically, you can set a separate (free) profile background that will show up for people that are also using Enhanced Steam. Anyone not using Enhanced Steam (or just using the client) will see the profile you set publicly (like normal).

For now, it will just include the profile backgrounds that Valve has. You can't upload your own. But you can choose which one you want and have it display without paying for it. And if you want your friends to see your profile the way you do, you can have them install Enhanced Steam. :)
[/CUSTOMSPOILER]
What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

Ouch... That sounds like it may be a problem to me. If you give people the option to use the backgrounds that people are paying money for, that'll piss some people off for sure.

On the other side of the room, if you make it so that people can upload their own picture, I would see that as not being a problem, for you at least, because people will upload what they want, and if it happens to be stuff that Valve doesn't like, that's their problem.

To me, it sounds like you're setting yourself up for a bad situation. I'm not sure how Valve feels about those backgrounds, but I wouldn't step into that scene if I were you.

To protect yourself from a possible lawsuit (I have no idea if Valve would take it that far), I would avoid the profile thing outright, or at least make it so you're not liable for what the people who use your extension do.

EDIT: Talking to spoder about it, now I realized that people already do this for TF2 hats, so I dunno if the they'd have a case, or if they'd pursue it, but I still believe that it'd attract unwanted attention from them.

Spoder agrees with me in that you should probably just leave that feature out altogether. It could get messy. =/

[quote name='Severose']Ouch... That sounds like it may be a problem to me. If you give people the option to use the backgrounds that people are paying money for, that'll piss some people off for sure.

On the other side of the room, if you make it so that people can upload their own picture, I would see that as not being a problem, for you at least, because people will upload what they want, and if it happens to be stuff that Valve doesn't like, that's their problem.

To me, it sounds like you're setting yourself up for a bad situation. I'm not sure how Valve feels about those backgrounds, but I wouldn't step into that scene if I were you.

To protect yourself from a possible lawsuit (I have no idea if Valve would take it that far), I would avoid the profile thing outright, or at least make it so you're not liable for what the people who use your extension do.

EDIT: Talking to spoder about it, now I realized that people already do this for TF2 hats, so I dunno if the they'd have a case, or if they'd pursue it, but I still believe that it'd attract unwanted attention from them.

Spoder agrees with me in that you should probably just leave that feature out altogether. It could get messy. =/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input. I've kind of been back-and-forth on the issue. I can certainly see how other people may be upset that they've paid for a background that now they can display for free. But keep in mind, only people with Enhanced Steam installed will be able to see it. If they want the rest of the 4.8 million other Steam users without Enhanced Steam to be able to see that on their page, they'll need to craft the badge or purchase it from the marketplace.

I thought about letting users upload their own content, but I think that puts me at more of a legal risk for copyright infringement issues (not to mention pornography, etc). The way it's set up now, all of the files still reside on the Steam servers: Enhanced Steam just tells your browser to use a different background photo of your choosing.

It's tricky, but I think I'm going to leave the feature in. There are obviously a million ways that Valve could block it if they wanted to. And as always if it were something they asked me to remove from Enhanced Steam, I would.

I just think people should have the right to choose which background they want on their profile. This also lets people below level 10 set a background image for their profile, if they choose.

And of course the default behavior for your profile will be "use the background I've specified on Steam". If you don't set a background image through this profile option, your profile will look exactly like it does to non-Enhanced-Steam-users.

I'm certainly welcome to further discussion on the issue, but right now I'm thinking this is a nice feature that many Enhanced Steam users would utilize and find useful.

[quote name='jshackles']Thanks for your input. I've kind of been back-and-forth on the issue. I can certainly see how other people may be upset that they've paid for a background that now they can display for free. But keep in mind, only people with Enhanced Steam installed will be able to see it. If they want the rest of the 4.8 million other Steam users without Enhanced Steam to be able to see that on their page, they'll need to craft the badge or purchase it from the marketplace.

I thought about letting users upload their own content, but I think that puts me at more of a legal risk for copyright infringement issues (not to mention pornography, etc). The way it's set up now, all of the files still reside on the Steam servers: Enhanced Steam just tells your browser to use a different background photo of your choosing.

It's tricky, but I think I'm going to leave the feature in. There are obviously a million ways that Valve could block it if they wanted to. And as always if it were something they asked me to remove from Enhanced Steam, I would.

I just think people should have the right to choose which background they want on their profile. This also lets people below level 10 set a background image for their profile, if they choose.

And of course the default behavior for your profile will be "use the background I've specified on Steam". If you don't set a background image through this profile option, your profile will look exactly like it does to non-Enhanced-Steam-users.

I'm certainly welcome to further discussion on the issue, but right now I'm thinking this is a nice feature that many Enhanced Steam users would utilize and find useful.[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying. It's up to you in the end, but personally I'd leave the feature out just because it could get messy.

Still love the extension either way. ;)

Enhanced Steam 3.5 for Google Chrome just released. This version includes the ability to set a custom profile background that is visible to other Enhanced Steam users. This version also adds more translation text and updates to the Russian and Spanish translations.

So - more bad news for Firefox users.  Mozilla once again rejected the latest code, despite only having 6 jQuery-related "warnings".  The last code that got rejected had 19.  Updating to a newer version of jQuery resulted in even more errors.

The particular error it is being rejected for was already addressed, so I am thinking the latest code rejection was more of a laziness than anything.

Either way, the latest code that Mozilla is hosting is now well over 2 months old and is VERY outdated.  I'm going to once again send the most revised up-to-date code to Mozilla and once again request re-evaluation.  In the mean time, if you'd like to use a newer version of the code it can be downloaded from the Enhanced Steam website by clicking here.

Oops, lost track of this thread post-3.0. Yeah I imagine Valve wouldn't be thrilled about ES's background feature, but I'd always imagined wallpapers would have been something incorporated into modders' skins or themes eventually. But from the users' standpoint: more awesomeness. Kudos!

So I've been a little busy working on a bit of a "pet project" with Enhanced Steam.  Pardon the screenshots, there are a few.

I'm adding the "Library" tab from the Steam client into the web client:

bYsEcc5.png

The script will pull your list of owned games, sort them, and simulate the client Library tab.

JvqQwuf.jpg

Additionally, version 2.7 has been released for Firefox.  This version passed Mozilla's basic verification process so fingers crossed that it gets approved this time (probably in a couple of weeks).  This version fixes a few bugs and adds custom profile background support.

You can download it here now.

EDIT: Firefox may lose official support soon.  This time, this version was rejected rather quickly for the exact same reasons although all errors were resolved.  There seems to be no way to solicit feedback to request which pieces of code exactly are being rejected.

This makes me sad, but putting a lot of effort into creating a Firefox-specific version of the code over the last two months and having the last three version rejected is disheartening.

Most likely, I'll be hosting it on my site, and it will not automatically update.

Could you please provide a direct link to download version 2.7 (or whatever the current version is, if it's later than that now) for Firefox like you did with version 2.6? Better yet, what do you think about updating the firefox download page on your main site to use direct downloads now since Mozilla's being ridiculous with their review process?

Thanks!

Could you please provide a direct link to download version 2.7 (or whatever the current version is, if it's later than that now) for Firefox like you did with version 2.6? Better yet, what do you think about updating the firefox download page on your main site to use direct downloads now since Mozilla's being ridiculous with their review process?

Thanks!
The latest version for Firefox (2.7) can be downloaded here.

I'll probably be updating the page soon. I'm also looking into self-hosting the extension with an SSL certificate that will let it update automatically.

The next version of Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome will have links on the app page to the trading card page for that game.

tradingcards.png

Clicking this link will take you to the "badge progress" page which will show you how many cards exist for this game, which ones you already have, and which cards your friends have.  For games without trading cards, there will be no link.

bread's done
Back