Official Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread

The next version of Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome will have links on the app page to the trading card page for that game.

tradingcards.png

Clicking this link will take you to the "badge progress" page which will show you how many cards exist for this game, which ones you already have, and which cards your friends have. For games without trading cards, there will be no link.
Finally, a near complete (and improved) steam client aside from actually launching games. Thank you for your hard work; it's nice being connected with full feature support from my browser.

I am trying out the Library beta in Enhanced Steam and one initial observation is it is keeping the current Cities in Motion background from the sale which is making it difficult to see the background of the game.

I just added the Library button in Chrome but when I click on it the deal header is still partially there but the rest of the page is  a black square where my game list probably should be.  How big of a game list have you tested?  I think with DLC I have maybe 500+ entries?

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this in the steam thread, but I suppose I should have here:

I like the feature. As far as weird formatting goes, I have a couple, though you may already be aware of them. The scroll bar and library list are the height of my browser, but then I can scroll down, let's say 40%, below where that is leaving me just a big blank area on the page. The background when a game loads is centered on the page and overlaps with the game list, though it seems like it's supposed to all be in the area to the right of the library's scroll bar. 

IAIloS1.jpg

I am trying out the Library beta in Enhanced Steam and one initial observation is it is keeping the current Cities in Motion background from the sale which is making it difficult to see the background of the game.
D'oh! Of course they change their homepage the day I release newly tested code. I've got the bug fixed on my end so I may push out a version 3.7.1

I just added the Library button in Chrome but when I click on it the deal header is still partially there but the rest of the page is a black square where my game list probably should be. How big of a game list have you tested? I think with DLC I have maybe 500+ entries?
One thing I forgot to mention: for this feature to work currently your profile has to be set to public. It's for the same reason Steamgifts requires it: the API is checking to see which games you own in the background. I'll add an error checking routine to this in the next version that will tell you if it's still working or if it's failed for some reason (such as your profile being public).

I posted this in the steam thread, but I suppose I should have here:

I like the feature. As far as weird formatting goes, I have a couple, though you may already be aware of them. The scroll bar and library list are the height of my browser, but then I can scroll down, let's say 40%, below where that is leaving me just a big blank area on the page. The background when a game loads is centered on the page and overlaps with the game list, though it seems like it's supposed to all be in the area to the right of the library's scroll bar.
This also seems to be related to the Cities in Motion background. :( Of course, I release the code at 9:30 and 10:00am rolls around and their home page is different. Do you still see this behavior if you click on, say, any game, then go into your library?

Thanks for all of your feedback!

This also seems to be related to the Cities in Motion background. :( Of course, I release the code at 9:30 and 10:00am rolls around and their home page is different. Do you still see this behavior if you click on, say, any game, then go into your library?

Thanks for all of your feedback!
It's fine if I go from a game's page. I also tested it from the Dead Island deal page which has a custom background and it works fine there as well.

I just uploaded 3.7.1 which will remove the full page background on the home page when viewing your library.  Google says it can take up to 45 minutes to push out to everyone, so it should arrive soon.

Im also getting the all black screen.  Pretty sure my profile is set to public (ive used it for isthereanydeal and a few other websites) but Ill double check, though not sure where that setting is

-edit

And now it works, it might be that glitch where sometimes you just have to refresh.  First time i went to the steam page, no library button, refreshed, button showed up.  This happened the first time as well when i got the black screen and subsequent refreshes on the black screen showed nothing.

This time after clicking the library it worked

I was getting the black screen, but the library tab seems to be working now. I like the idea very much, and hope to see more features implemented (such as what you see when you view your library in steam [achievements, news, links, etc]). Also, nice job with the trading cards link, that will come in handy (though it isn't showing on the most recently added games).

Sucks to hear about firefox, would love to see all the chrome features make their way over. On the plus side though I saw you added an opera version, which is all kinds of awesome :bouncy:

I was getting the black screen, but the library tab seems to be working now. I like the idea very much, and hope to see more features implemented (such as what you see when you view your library in steam [achievements, news, links, etc]). Also, nice job with the trading cards link, that will come in handy (though it isn't showing on the most recently added games).

Sucks to hear about firefox, would love to see all the chrome features make their way over. On the plus side though I saw you added an opera version, which is all kinds of awesome :bouncy:
Yeah Opera was kind of tricky, but I got it working. Right now I'm working on an Opera Next version, which should be similar to the Chrome version (Opera Next uses webkit and basically the same type of plugins).

I have quite a bit planned for the library tab like achievements, news, links, and the like but will also list DLC, cards and things like that. I'm planning on adding a "View this in your library" button the the app page if you own a game.

Speaking of cards, the newest ones aren't showing up yet with a link because Valve has not marked them in their database yet as having cards. For example, they're not listed here or on the right hand side of the app page under "Features". I imagine this will get fixed in the next few days.

I also fixed a bug with the profile backgrounds - the database was initially set up as having a tinyint field because originally there were only 15 or so backgrounds to choose from. Now there are almost 200 backgrounds, so I've bumped that field up to an integer so now Valve can release 2,147,483,647 backgrounds before I have to change it to a bigint. :p

Speaking of Opera...  I'd like to say I personally haven't encountered a single bug yet! :D

Feels like I'm the only one using it though  :whistle2:|

jshackles, do you ever envision being able to redeem Steam keys through your extension? With the addition of the library menu yesterday, the key function would be the only thing that I really miss when I can't use the client (let's use work as an example). I imagine that would be a pretty substantial undertaking. Thanks for all your hard work on this project. It's a great tool to have.

jshackles, do you ever envision being able to redeem Steam keys through your extension? With the addition of the library menu yesterday, the key function would be the only thing that I really miss when I can't use the client (let's use work as an example). I imagine that would be a pretty substantial undertaking. Thanks for all your hard work on this project. It's a great tool to have.
Right now redeeming keys is something that is locked to your actual account credentials. It'd be pretty trivial to do as long as people were willing to give me their user name and password, but it's one of the things Enhanced Steam will NEVER ask for.

So until Valve changes that (not sure if they should), or sets up their own web-based key redemption (which they definitely should), I don't see it happening.

So, I have a feature request that may be a bit beyond the scope of Enhanced Steam. There are a few items I've been watching on the Steam marketplace but it's annoying to keep multiple tabs open and constantly refresh them all. Would a wishlist/watch list feature for marketplace items be something you could/would want to add?

Right now redeeming keys is something that is locked to your actual account credentials. It'd be pretty trivial to do as long as people were willing to give me their user name and password, but it's one of the things Enhanced Steam will NEVER ask for.

So until Valve changes that (not sure if they should), or sets up their own web-based key redemption (which they definitely should), I don't see it happening.
Thanks for the prompt, thorough reply. It would be a nice feature to have, but I can definitely appreciate the privacy concept. I agree that Valve should leave the credential system the same, but should consider some sort of web-based key redemption. Origin actually has that as an option from your account page, which made me even more surprised that it's not possible on Steam.

So, I have a feature request that may be a bit beyond the scope of Enhanced Steam. There are a few items I've been watching on the Steam marketplace but it's annoying to keep multiple tabs open and constantly refresh them all. Would a wishlist/watch list feature for marketplace items be something you could/would want to add?
Actually that's a great idea! I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the prompt, thorough reply. It would be a nice feature to have, but I can definitely appreciate the privacy concept. I agree that Valve should leave the credential system the same, but should consider some sort of web-based key redemption. Origin actually has that as an option from your account page, which made me even more surprised that it's not possible on Steam.
It's also possible to redeem Desura keys directly from their website as well. I'm going to reach out to my contacts at Valve to see if this is something they're planning on doing.

So I spent far longer than I should have today (about 7 hours!) re-writing ALL of the back-end code for the Firefox version of Enhanced Steam.  I thought I'd give Mozilla one more shot to approve the latest version, so I basically re-wrote everything that used external data sources.

It was more work than I thought I'd have to do, but I'm hoping that this time the code can pass their validation process.  

If not, I've applied for a code-signing certificate from a company that issues free certificates to open source projects.  If I'm accepted, I'll be able to start signing my own Firefox XPIs with that certificate and host Enhanced Steam for Firefox on my own server.  This method would also support automatic updates.

But for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Mozilla.  I hope I don't have to keep them crossed for *too* long.

<crosses fingers on the FIrefox blessing>

Yeah Opera was kind of tricky, but I got it working. Right now I'm working on an Opera Next version, which should be similar to the Chrome version (Opera Next uses webkit and basically the same type of plugins).
Opera 15+ is using Blink (Chrome 28+) tracking Chromium..

I just installed the plugin for Opera.  Works great, so far!  Thanks for all the hard work that you've done on this!

And yes, Opera 15 should make development much easier for you.  Of course, unless they put bookmarks and other core features back into the browser, there might not be anyone left using Opera to download the plugin...

I just installed the plugin for Opera. Works great, so far! Thanks for all the hard work that you've done on this!

And yes, Opera 15 should make development much easier for you. Of course, unless they put bookmarks and other core features back into the browser, there might not be anyone left using Opera to download the plugin...

So far the opera plugin has worked better than any of the others (randomly disappear some days). Minus a couple features only in the Chrome version, its definitely my favorite.

And random comment, but I never realized how much ES added to profiles. Steam Rep, Wasted on Steam, Achievement Tracking, etc, just wow. I feel like there is something new for me to discover every day. Can't say enough how much I love this extension :bouncy:

I uploaded version 2.9 for Firefox to Mozilla.  Don't get too excited - there is nothing new, but it passed 100% through their validation.

VRHWbtu.png

0 errors, 0 warnings

The only thing it kinda sorta flagged was that my extension uses jQuery.  Which of course it always has.

TVB5gy2.png

If they reject this one, I'm not sure what fate awaits the Firefox version.

I'm surprised you keep trying with how little feedback or effort they're giving you. Crappy extension support surely isn't helping their market share. 

How long is the delay between obtaining a card, and it being highlighted among search results in the Steam Market? I get a little OCD when I buy cards on the market and they don't get highlighted. I get paranoid that I'll end up buying a card I already have.

How long is the delay between obtaining a card, and it being highlighted among search results in the Steam Market? I get a little OCD when I buy cards on the market and they don't get highlighted. I get paranoid that I'll end up buying a card I already have.
In the code it's set to refresh your inventory (which is cached) after 1 hour. If you'd like it to show up immediately you should be able to open the "Enhanced Steam" menu at the top of the page and select "Clear cached data". This will force Enhanced Steam to re-index your inventory and highlight the cards you own.

Also I've submitted version 3.7.1 to Opera for use in Opera Next.  This is a direct re-release of the Chrome version which appears to work perfectly fine in Opera Next.  

Assuming all goes well in the review process, I anticipate being able to release Google Chrome and Opera Next versions with the exact same features and functionality at approximately the same time going forward, without having to maintain a separate code base.

The previous Opera code was based on the Firefox version and was somewhat more feature-limited as a result of their cross-domain scripting policies.

That's excellent. I have been running the Chrome extension on Opera Next without any problems for the last few weeks. No automatic updates though, which is why I look forward to grabbing it from the Opera extensions website.

Just dropping by to say thank you for still supporting the Firefox extension despite all the roadblocks and to ask a question, considering you had to rewrite the entire extension is there a chance to port the missing features from the Chrome extension to Firefox?

Just dropping by to say thank you for still supporting the Firefox extension despite all the roadblocks and to ask a question, considering you had to rewrite the entire extension is there a chance to port the missing features from the Chrome extension to Firefox?
Some of the Chrome features will be ported over - but the majority of the ones that are missing are missing as a result of Firefox not allowing what's called "Cross Domain Scripting" in it's content scripts. This means that in Firefox (unlike Chrome and now Opera) Enhanced Steam running on Steampowered.com cannot read data from SteamCommunity.com and vice versa.

So for example, in Chrome Enhanced Steam can highlight whether you own a game in the community hub and on your activity feed. In Firefox, once you're on the SteamCommunity.com site Enhanced Steam has no way of knowing if you own a particular game or not - it can't read that info from Steampowered.com because of this restriction.

You would be surprised how much this information gets segmented between the two sites. Your wishlist, for example, exists on SteamCommunity.com so Enhanced Steam for Firefox can't add an "Add to Cart" button from the store page.

Some Chrome features I plan on porting over include tagging, expanded options, and translation support for additional languages.

I have a feature request. I don't think that it's already in there, at least not that I see. It's also very minor and not very exciting or something that a lot of people need, but hopefully the work required is trivial enough to overcome that.

I'd like to see the total size that my entire library takes up in GB. On this page (sub in your Steam ID instead of mine) the size of each game is listed when your are signed in and viewing your own account. I was hoping you could total that up and expose the number somewhere, either on that page or on my account page. I suppose that if it was done on that games page the filters could be used to see the total size of subsets of games, like a franchise, but I'm really just looking for a complete library total.

A guy on this page (2nd answer) whipped up some javascript for a bookmarklet, but it seems to no longer be working, at least not for me. If you decide to implement this it might point you in the right direction and save some time.

Thanks for your continued work on this extension. I've found it ridiculously useful.

I have a feature request. I don't think that it's already in there, at least not that I see. It's also very minor and not very exciting or something that a lot of people need, but hopefully the work required is trivial enough to overcome that.

I'd like to see the total size that my entire library takes up in GB. On this page (sub in your Steam ID instead of mine) the size of each game is listed when your are signed in and viewing your own account. I was hoping you could total that up and expose the number somewhere, either on that page or on my account page. I suppose that if it was done on that games page the filters could be used to see the total size of subsets of games, like a franchise, but I'm really just looking for a complete library total.

A guy on this page (2nd answer) whipped up some javascript for a bookmarklet, but it seems to no longer be working, at least not for me. If you decide to implement this it might point you in the right direction and save some time.

Thanks for your continued work on this extension. I've found it ridiculously useful.
Should be something easy to whip up, but did you check out the link in the first response in the StackExchange link you sent? That SteamGauge website was able to successfully calculate the total size of all my games as 2,683.95 GB - which seams about right.

If you'd rather it be in Enhanced Steam I should be able to calculate this as well using a similar function to the javascript that is linked in the other answer. I can include it in the next version (most likely) but if you want an answer now I'd suggest the SteamGauge website.

Should be something easy to whip up, but did you check out the link in the first response in the StackExchange link you sent? That SteamGauge website was able to successfully calculate the total size of all my games as 2,683.95 GB - which seams about right.

If you'd rather it be in Enhanced Steam I should be able to calculate this as well using a similar function to the javascript that is linked in the other answer. I can include it in the next version (most likely) but if you want an answer now I'd suggest the SteamGauge website.
I would like if this was integrated on next version! Could be even an option defaulted to off.

Thank you for all your work!

To gear up for the Summer Sale - Enhanced Steam will be holding a Youtube video contest with a chance to win a game on your Steam wishlist.

The contest will be simple: make a Youtube video about your favorite feature (or features) of Enhanced Steam and send me a copy of the video link.  I can be reached through PM on CheapAssGamer, through email, on Steam, messaged on Reddit, or through twitter (@enhancedsteam).

One video will be chosen at the end of the contest as the winner.  The winner will receive a game of their choice from their Steam Wishlist (up to $29.99).  The contest will end on the last day of the summer sale to give the winner the best possible prize.

Good luck!

I have recently switched browsers to Chrome (since Flash in Firefox keeps on crashing at least every other time I open a flash file) and installed Enhanced Steam. First of, awesome work. Really nice features.

Secondly, I have some problems with regards to bundle prices and my actual savings. Tried to look all over the internet but couldn't find anything, so I hope it's ok if I ask this here.

When I look at the Portal (8,99€) + Portal 2 (19,99€) bundle (24,98€) I get the correct savings, namely €-24,98 (I own both games).

When I look at Devil May Cry 3 SE (19,99€) + Devil May Cry 4 (19,99€) bundle (27,99€) I get a false saving total, namely €-27,79 (I only own DMC 4). Shouldn't it say my savings are €-8 (39,98€ total - [27,99€ bundle cost + 19,99€ of DMC4]).

When I look at The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition bundle (39,99€) containing TESV:Skyrim (29,99€), TESV:Skyrim - Dawnguard (19,99€), TESV:Skyrim - Dragonborn (19,99€) and TESV: Skyrim - Hearthfire (4,99€) I get a false saving total, namely €-39,24 (I own none of the games or DLC). Shouldn't it read €34,97 (74,96€ total - 39,99€ bundle cost).

It is not a very big deal just something I found and wanted to report / ask about.

Thanks and keep up the good work. 

Thanks for the bug report masterkajo!

This bug has been identified and has been corrected in the upcoming version 2.8 that will be released either today or tomorrow.  The bug had to do with the bundle calculations done when the decimal indicator was a comma as is common in many international currencies.

Once 2.8 has been released and you have it installed, let me know if you continue to have problems with this.  Thanks!

Version 3.8 for Google Chrome and Opera have been pushed out.  Chrome users should see the new version immediately.  Opera users should see the new version in the next few days.

Thanks for all your support everyone!  I suspect that within the next few days Enhanced Steam will have over 100,000 downloads!

Just installed and loving so far, but I do have a feature idea. It would be neat if you could show lowest historical price on the wishlist page like you do on the actual game page. For example, I go to the store page for Bully and see the following:

Lowest Price: $3.75 at Steam (Info)
Historical Low: $3.75 at Amazon US on Wed May 29 2013 (Info)

I would love to be able to have that same information while on the wishlist page for all games on my wishlist. That way I can quickly go through my wishlist and see what prices I can expect future discounts to have for any game that I want.

Just installed and loving so far, but I do have a feature idea. It would be neat if you could show lowest historical price on the wishlist page like you do on the actual game page. For example, I go to the store page for Bully and see the following:

Lowest Price: $3.75 at Steam (Info)
Historical Low: $3.75 at Amazon US on Wed May 29 2013 (Info)

I would love to be able to have that same information while on the wishlist page for all games on my wishlist. That way I can quickly go through my wishlist and see what prices I can expect future discounts to have for any game that I want.

I actually think this sounds pretty cool as well. Make it so shackles :bow:

I've put adding the price history to the wishlist on my "to do list".

There is an update v3.8.1 that should be rolling out for Chrome users.  This update fixes a bug with international currencies and price history information.

Hi, I installed this extension today, but it doesn't work. I don't know why, but when I save the changes on the options, it dosen't do nothing.

bread's done
Back