Official Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread

I've also got a friend who has the same problem as Myuer. The options menu doesn't seem to do anything for him.

Also, request time. Would it be possible to add some sort of wish list to the Steam market? Being able to add cards/emoticons/backgrounds/etc to a list (and to be able to see the current prices) would be amazing. I understand this is probably a massive undertaking, but it was something I was thinking the other day when I was manually looking up every item I was looking for.

EDIT: Nevermind, you have a "watch list" in your "to do list" already, so ignore my request!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you have the "Show Market Price on Inventory Page (Experimental!)" feature - It worked once for me. It was nice when it did. Might I suggest adding this info to the badge progress page? It would be nice to see the cost and a link to buy the cards I don't have for a badge.

Something that has been bothering me and I assume you could could do with little effort: When you're on the store side of things, your wallet balance shows up under the "your account" menu link in the top right. However, it doesn't show when you're in the community area.  It really freaking annoys me since there is no reason on Valve's part for this to happen, especially since the market is on the community side.

Something that has been bothering me and I assume you could could do with little effort: When you're on the store side of things, your wallet balance shows up under the "your account" menu link in the top right. However, it doesn't show when you're in the community area. It really freaking annoys me since there is no reason on Valve's part for this to happen, especially since the market is on the community side.
That's a good point - I'll check into it.

EDIT: BSB - next time give me an actual challenge!

Ichu5ho.png

This was done with like 2 lines of code.

Working on wishlist pricing data: it's a little tougher.  Basically, not every game has pricing data.  Of the ones that do, some have a current sale and historical data, some only have historical data (meaning it's not on sale).

There isn't enough room in the wishlist row to display this info without it looking very cramped, so the code has to make each wishlist item taller, even if there isn't any pricing data.

The end result looks something like this:

kFI9weu.png

Not sure about you guys, but it's looking a little... Strange.  I'm thinking of just adding the historical low which would help even this out somewhat.

What do you guys think?

Working on wishlist pricing data: it's a little tougher. Basically, not every game has pricing data. Of the ones that do, some have a current sale and historical data, some only have historical data (meaning it's not on sale).

There isn't enough room in the wishlist row to display this info without it looking very cramped, so the code has to make each wishlist item taller, even if there isn't any pricing data.

The end result looks something like this:

kFI9weu.png

Not sure about you guys, but it's looking a little... Strange. I'm thinking of just adding the historical low which would help even this out somewhat.

What do you guys think?
I'm not a UX designer (in fact, my company doesn't let me near the UX design phase, I just get to play with the database and backend code) but I see a couple options. I personally don't mind the items being taller, but symmetry is always nice.

How about always displaying the extra lines, but if pricing data isn't available just say unavailable?

So in your screenshot:

Magika

Lowest Price 2.49

Historical Low: 1.24

Assassins Creed

Lowest Price: No current deal found

Historical Low: 13.31

Another World

Lowest Price: No current deal found

Historical Low: No historical deals found

That would serve to make all the rows at least look symmetrical.

Lowest price is a really nice feature to quickly see if one of your wishlist items is on sale, but you can also get that from adding a filter to isthereanydeal, so having it directly on Steam wouldn't be crucial.

Thanks for the feedback.  I think I'm going to shelve this particular feature.  Like you said, it would be useful but not critical as there are a few other services out there that already do this.  

There just isn't a really good way to display the information "at a glance" while keeping the same look/feel of the wishlist page.

On to other things....  I'm working on this:

dUl7C5N.png

/shame for having spent over $10 on the marketplace buying cards.

Version 3.9 has been released.  Google Chrome users will get the new update automatically. Opera users will get this version in the next few days after it's approved.

This version adds:

+An option to hide games you already own (instead of highlighting them)

+Added wallet balance to the SteamCommunity.com header

+Separated "Total Spent" into categories, in addition to showing the total.

:Fixed a bug where DLC categorizations weren't always showing

:Fixed a bug where total spent could be in an incorrect currency

As always, let me know if you run into any problems!

Since the Summer Sale will likely start this week, this version will stay on feature freeze until the sale is over. Bug fixes and updates to account for the formatting of pages during the Summer Sale will of course be addressed as needed.

Hey,

With the recent Mystery cards I saw SteamDB has a userscript that allows you to see the individual item number for each card.  Anything like that planned for Enhanced Steam?

Hey,

With the recent Mystery cards I saw SteamDB has a userscript that allows you to see the individual item number for each card. Anything like that planned for Enhanced Steam?
Not at the moment. I figure the people who are genuinely interested in that will get their script, and it currently only matters for 1 item (well, technically 10 or 20). If the mystery card turns into something where knowing that info would be useful or helpful I'll probably implement it as well.

That's a good point - I'll check into it.

EDIT: BSB - next time give me an actual challenge!

This was done with like 2 lines of code.
I knew it wouldn't stress you out too much. Even as a non-coder, based on what you've been talking about with other stuff, I figured it would be a quick snatch and grab.

Hey everyone - a huge thank you to all for helping get the word out about Enhanced Steam.  

ES now has over 100,000 downloads across all platforms!  WOOHOO!

About to become a Steam fanatic. However, I have a question. If I brought a £5 Steam Wallet Card would I be able to pay for a game using said card and some PayPal funds?

About to become a Steam fanatic. However, I have a question. If I brought a £5 Steam Wallet Card would I be able to pay for a game using said card and some PayPal funds?
Yea you can, just pay with your steam funds first then it will ask you to pay for the rest in paypal or cc.

Wow.  I just have to say Enhanced Steam has made this summer sale a lot easier... if I had to pick just one feature, it'd be highlighting DLC I already own.  (wishlist highlighting is nice too)

Thanks!!!

Wow. I just have to say Enhanced Steam has made this summer sale a lot easier... if I had to pick just one feature, it'd be highlighting DLC I already own. (wishlist highlighting is nice too)

Thanks!!!
No problem! The video contest is still going until the 21st, so if you put that post in the form of a video and upload it publicly to Youtube, you'll be entered into the contest for a chance to win a game of your choice on Steam (up to $29.99). If you wan to enter send me a PM or email me at [email protected]

And spread the word!

Popped in to say it's been months since I was on CAG, and I remember this in beta. Man, if you could only feel the feeling of coming back to this to see how freakin huge and amazing this project has become from what I remember it. This is a major accomplishment. Major. Thanks again to ashes for linking me to this thread, and to you jshackles for enhancing not just Steam, but my life. :applause:

Popped in to say it's been months since I was on CAG, and I remember this in beta. Man, if you could only feel the feeling of coming back to this to see how freakin huge and amazing this project has become from what I remember it. This is a major accomplishment. Major. Thanks again to ashes for linking me to this thread, and to you jshackles for enhancing not just Steam, but my life. :applause:
Awww thanks man! It's been a crazy last couple of months. Enhanced Steam had over 100,000 (total) downloads just before the sale started, then it got featured on Lifehacker the day of the start of the Summer Sale and I've had almost 100,000 MORE downloads since.

Total downloads to date across all platforms: 197,607. This is insane!

I appreciate everyone that has helped contribute, and especially thanks to those of you that were around in the beginning helping me to beta test and suggest features. The community here and elsewhere are really what is driving this forward and you guys are all awesome.

Awww thanks man! It's been a crazy last couple of months. Enhanced Steam had over 100,000 (total) downloads just before the sale started, then it got featured on Lifehacker the day of the start of the Summer Sale and I've had almost 100,000 MORE downloads since.

Total downloads to date across all platforms: 197,607. This is insane!

I appreciate everyone that has helped contribute, and especially thanks to those of you that were around in the beginning helping me to beta test and suggest features. The community here and elsewhere are really what is driving this forward and you guys are all awesome.
Contributed real monies to the project, also shot off an email to Destructoid to try to get you some more press.

In the wake of the global trading card market, in which we will eventually outsource our card farming to Mexico and China, I had a thought for another feature, though it feels like it might be overly complicated.  However, the fact that you're already pulling some of this data gives me hope.

Wouldn't it be swell to go onto your badges page and have a little indicator of how much the cost of the badge would be if you bought all the cards at current low price?  Obviously, it would require pulling and filtering the data (by badge, foil and non-foil), then adding it up to display it.

It probably isn't worth the effort, but I was sitting around thinking, "gee, I wish I could find out which badges are the cheapest to forge."  Of course, that would also only read the games you had (or badges you've started for unowned games).  Hmmmm... What about those unowned, unstarted badge games? 

Oh man! Another thought!  What if we could quickly see how many of a card there were in the wild? 

The more I think of this, the more unwieldy it gets.  Almost to the point of just needing a separate web site or page.  However, I wanted to throw the ideas out there to see what everyone else thought.  If the card economy is here to stay, then we should help ourselves take advantage of it, no? 

In the wake of the global trading card market, in which we will eventually outsource our card farming to Mexico and China, I had a thought for another feature, though it feels like it might be overly complicated. However, the fact that you're already pulling some of this data gives me hope.

Wouldn't it be swell to go onto your badges page and have a little indicator of how much the cost of the badge would be if you bought all the cards at current low price? Obviously, it would require pulling and filtering the data (by badge, foil and non-foil), then adding it up to display it.
This is already in the works. ;)

Good news all around for Firefox users:

The Enhanced Steam addon has finally been approved by Mozilla and the code freeze has been lifted. I'm working on bringing the current Firefox code as "up to date" as possible and will be submitting a new version soon.

Also, Firefox 24 will add support for cross-domain content scripting! What does this mean for Enhanced Steam? It means that most of the "Chrome-Only" features can be ported to Firefox and will work as long as you're using Firefox 24+. Currently that version is in beta (or "Aurora", or "whatever") but it's a much needed and welcome change to the platform to finally be stepping forward.

Since I haven't bugged about this for a while, any chance we can ever get F2P games to not highlight in green as if we 'own' them? Several times I've seen a game highlighted and gone 'Huh? When did I get that?' and turns out it was a F2P game.

Of course several other times I've had the same situation and it was a paid game I got and forgot about but that's beside the point!  :lol:

Also that 'I agree bla bla bla' checkbox when buying cards is annoying. Be nice if there was a way to just agree once for good.  :whistle2:\"

So since we are all posting suggestions, figured I'd toss out one a friend of mine thought of (recently converted to Enhanced Steam ;) ): basically, it would be nice to show the price per person on 2/3/4/etc packs, instead of having to open a calculator to do it. Yes it ultimately takes all of a few seconds to divide the price by number of people, but having it right on the page would be really handy.

Of course I have no idea how you would make this work, but just thought I'd mention it just in case it is possible :)

Since I haven't bugged about this for a while, any chance we can ever get F2P games to not highlight in green as if we 'own' them? Several times I've seen a game highlighted and gone 'Huh? When did I get that?' and turns out it was a F2P game.

Of course several other times I've had the same situation and it was a paid game I got and forgot about but that's beside the point! :lol:

Also that 'I agree bla bla bla' checkbox when buying cards is annoying. Be nice if there was a way to just agree once for good. :whistle2:\"
There is still an "issue" open on Github about this. I've got a few ideas, but at this time all of them involve increasing the detection time (even for non-F2P games) by several seconds. I'll probably have to reach out to Valve yet again to see if they can add a flag to the API.

As for the checkbox that has you agree to the terms when buying or selling on the marketplace. Valve considers the behavior of automatically checking this box to be in violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement, as it's something typically only done by bots and market manipulation scripts. Since I don't want anyone to have the potential of losing their Steam accounts because they're using Enhanced Steam, I think for the time being we're going to have to be content with the extra click. ;)

So since we are all posting suggestions, figured I'd toss out one a friend of mine thought of (recently converted to Enhanced Steam ;) ): basically, it would be nice to show the price per person on 2/3/4/etc packs, instead of having to open a calculator to do it. Yes it ultimately takes all of a few seconds to divide the price by number of people, but having it right on the page would be really handy.

Of course I have no idea how you would make this work, but just thought I'd mention it just in case it is possible :)
That's actually a pretty good idea. Should be simple to do. Stay tuned!

I lost out on so many cards due to that stupid extra click during the summer sale, though things have since calmed down with the card market now that the sale has ended.

Someone really needs to tell Valve an 'agree once' to those buy/sell terms is needed. Forcing you to agree every time is obnoxious just like having to enter your age multiple times is (although it seems like they've gotten a bit better about that lately I think).

In the wake of the global trading card market, in which we will eventually outsource our card farming to Mexico and China, I had a thought for another feature, though it feels like it might be overly complicated. However, the fact that you're already pulling some of this data gives me hope.

Wouldn't it be swell to go onto your badges page and have a little indicator of how much the cost of the badge would be if you bought all the cards at current low price? Obviously, it would require pulling and filtering the data (by badge, foil and non-foil), then adding it up to display it.

It probably isn't worth the effort, but I was sitting around thinking, "gee, I wish I could find out which badges are the cheapest to forge." Of course, that would also only read the games you had (or badges you've started for unowned games). Hmmmm... What about those unowned, unstarted badge games?

Oh man! Another thought! What if we could quickly see how many of a card there were in the wild?

The more I think of this, the more unwieldy it gets. Almost to the point of just needing a separate web site or page. However, I wanted to throw the ideas out there to see what everyone else thought. If the card economy is here to stay, then we should help ourselves take advantage of it, no?
this would be awesome!!!!

This is already in the works. ;)

Good news all around for Firefox users:

The Enhanced Steam addon has finally been approved by Mozilla and the code freeze has been lifted. I'm working on bringing the current Firefox code as "up to date" as possible and will be submitting a new version soon.

Also, Firefox 24 will add support for cross-domain content scripting! What does this mean for Enhanced Steam? It means that most of the "Chrome-Only" features can be ported to Firefox and will work as long as you're using Firefox 24+. Currently that version is in beta (or "Aurora", or "whatever") but it's a much needed and welcome change to the platform to finally be stepping forward.
you are fucking awesome jshackles!!!! wish you had access to the steam client because all this stuff should be in there :bow:

The lazy part of me totally wants this!!!

Sorry I haven't been following too closely on the development side of things; if any of these are repeats/impossible/already being worked on, please disregard.

Feature request:

• Metacritic scores on the main page, and including user scores on search listings
  • Direct link to games with badge support
  • Badge completion status (ex. 5/7, 1/7) on above page and game info page
  • Direct link to game library
  • Game features in the popup for Greenlit games that are on the market
  • Would including this feature violate anything?
  • Quick "Add to Wishlist" and "Add to Cart" buttons on the search list
  • Pop-up information of game features on the search list as well as greenlit games on the market
  • "Remove from Wishlist" button on game description page
I'm sure I'll think up more. Thanks again for this - I had to load up Chrome without extensions and visited Steam... I'm never going vanilla again.

JShacks my man,

While we're asking for implementations, how hard would it be to add something that tells me if a game has cards without actually going into the game to look? The way I'm seeing it, possibly adding a card icon for that game on the "Games" page in your profile, or maybe by being able to highlight a game name in a different color from the Library page that you added. Maybe even a sort option from that games page. I don't know... I'm just spitballing here. Anything is always appreciated. Thanks.

The new version of Enhanced Steam for Firefox has been sent to Mozilla.  It's version 3.7 and incorporates a lot more stuff from the Chrome version.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/enhanced-steam/versions/

You can install it manually from the above link, or you can wait for Mozilla's review process.  Hopefully the review process is quicker this time, as last time it took almost a full month.

The new version should work with Firefox 17+, but you get bonus features if you're using Firefox 24 ("Aurora") or newer.  That's because this version allows for cross domain scripting.

There are only a few features left that have not been ported over from the Chrome version, such as inventory features, market features, and (most noticeably) tags.

Enjoy!

EDIT:

Also, I'm taking notes of your guy's suggestions.  I'm heading out for a 4 day vacation so I won't be posting much, but keep them coming because a lot of these are really good!

More sorting options anywhere would be a good thing, but especially on the market. It'd be nice to be able to sort your wishlist by price, too, for those last days of the seasonal sales.
I'm pretty sure there is a sort by price on the wishlist already. It's near the top right of the wishlist page labeled like this (Sort by: Rank- Date Added- Name- Price, etc.)

Hey Jshackles, so I tried to upgrade to Firefox 24, but I could only see the beta for Firefox 23. Where are you able to download the alpha for version 24?

I'm pretty sure there is a sort by price on the wishlist already. It's near the top right of the wishlist page labeled like this (Sort by: Rank- Date Added- Name- Price, etc.)

Hey Jshackles, so I tried to upgrade to Firefox 24, but I could only see the beta for Firefox 23. Where are you able to download the alpha for version 24?
well yeah, but you didn't read his message, he was referring to sorting the market items :)

well yeah, but you didn't read his message, he was referring to sorting the market items :)
Oh, right. The plans for a market wishlist; completely forgot about that. Although, I do think BSB was talking more about last day purchases during sales, so finding those cheap games on your normal wishlist would apply more. Speaking of that I have a suggestion for sorting: use the percentage discount, so the higher the discount the earlier it would appear on the list.

Yeah, I was referring to both the market and the wishlist.  I see the sort by price on the wishlist now.  Not sure how I missed it before  :error:  :dunce:

Firefox 24 can be downloaded here. Seems (pretty) stable when I tested it, but again there are bound to be bugs. However, you should see a few extra Firefox features that are missing from Enhanced Steam in earlier Firefox version if you have version 3.7 of Enhanced Steam installed.

Oh, right. The plans for a market wishlist; completely forgot about that. Although, I do think BSB was talking more about last day purchases during sales, so finding those cheap games on your normal wishlist would apply more. Speaking of that I have a suggestion for sorting: use the percentage discount, so the higher the discount the earlier it would appear on the list.
damn, I sure am an ass sometimes, sorry guys!!!

Coupons are acting weird. They are all showing the exact date and time right now as when the coupon expires even though the coupons are not expiring today. I checked all of my coupons and they are all doing this so it is not specific to any one game or coupon.

Example:

fxk9.jpg

Coupons are acting weird. They are all showing the exact date and time right now as when the coupon expires even though the coupons are not expiring today. I checked all of my coupons and they are all doing this so it is not specific to any one game or coupon.
Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like they changed how that's being stored in their API so it was failing and falling back on simply returning the current date/time.

Got it fixed for the new version coming soon.

Is summer the only time Steam has games up to 75% off? During July when they were having the sale I bought 2 games for $10 but was considering others but they never dropped/missed them.

Found a slight bug relating to the links to trading cards from a game's badge progress page. If you click on a link to a card's market page while checking the progress of a FOIL badge, it brings you to the regular, non-foil market page of that card. The cards on the foil badge progress page don't have the word "foil" in them, so it automatically looks up the vanilla cards. Something you might be able to fix jshaq?

Just pushed version 4.1 to Google so Chrome users should be getting it soon.  Here is the changelog:

• Adds automatic language settings detection
  • Adds marketplace transaction summary to market homepage
  • Fixes a bug where coupons were showing incorrect expiration dates
  • Optimized some code for faster loading
  • Adds a "Remove from wishlist" button the app page of wishlisted items
As always, let me know if you have any problems!

And Duke, I'm looking into the issue with foil cards thanks for the bug report!

Heh... I just installed Enhanced Steam. Is the total money spent a part of the feature? That's like the WORST feature EVER!!! :)

edit: oh, actually went and read the op... ya, WORST FEATURE EVER!!!     

Just sent the latest update to Mozilla for Enhanced Steam for Firefox.  Version 3.9 (getting close to catching up with the Chrome version!)

This version adds inventory handling/caching support (used internally by the script to handle tags, coupons, etc), coupon support, market highlighting, and market transaction totals.  It also fixes a rather embarrassing bug caused by me requesting a code change from Valve, them obliging, and it taking me this long to update the Firefox extension to reflect this new change.

Anyway, I'm hoping this version will be approved in the next few days.  :)

I'm curious of anyone has been able to get this to work on Android. Chrome for Android annoyingly doesn't support extensions. Is it doable at all on Firefox for Android?

When I'm travelling it's just really irritating to not have access to the features like the highlighting and so forth that I've gotten so used to.

bread's done
Back