Official Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread

I'm curious of anyone has been able to get this to work on Android. Chrome for Android annoyingly doesn't support extensions. Is it doable at all on Firefox for Android?

When I'm travelling it's just really irritating to not have access to the features like the highlighting and so forth that I've gotten so used to.
ES on Android, now there's something I'd love to see. I don't believe it's currently possible (does Firefox support plugins on android? I didn't think it did) but that would definitely be cool to see somewhere down the line *hint hint*

ES on Android, now there's something I'd love to see. I don't believe it's currently possible (does Firefox support plugins on android? I didn't think it did) but that would definitely be cool to see somewhere down the line *hint hint*
I tried it on Firefox for Android but it gives you some message that the plugin is not enabled for this version of Firefox which is 23 for the current stable version and 24 for the beta version.

I remember now this is one of the things about Firefox that really irritated me they fuss over the plugins and versions. I think there's some hoop jumping way around it but I don't normally use Firefox and I forget.

I tried it on Firefox for Android but it gives you some message that the plugin is not enabled for this version of Firefox which is 23 for the current stable version and 24 for the beta version.

I remember now this is one of the things about Firefox that really irritated me they fuss over the plugins and versions. I think there's some hoop jumping way around it but I don't normally use Firefox and I forget.
There is a developer dashboard I have access to from Mozilla that lets me manually set which versions and what applications it can be installed to (Firefox, Mobile, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and Firefox for Android).

I'll do some testing on the plugin using Firefox for Android and I'll let you guys know how it goes. If I find that it works I'll change the current version's compatibility on the dashboard which should let you install it.

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't even know Firefox for Android allowed plugins.

Not sure if this has mentioned before, and maybe it's only affecting me..

The new market transactions feature keeps freezing firefox. Every time I load a new page on the market, it'll freeze the browser for around 5-10 seconds.

EDIT: I'm not completely sure if its the transactions feature that's causing it, but disabling enhanced steam does fix the freezing.

This started happening to me within the last day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this has mentioned before, and maybe it's only affecting me..

The new market transactions feature keeps freezing firefox. Every time I load a new page on the market, it'll freeze the browser for around 5-10 seconds.

EDIT: I'm not completely sure if its the transactions feature that's causing it, but disabling enhanced steam does fix the freezing.

This started happening to me within the last day.
Not sure what your conditions are as I can't seem to replicate this issue. Though, I am using Aurora.

Not sure what your conditions are as I can't seem to replicate this issue. Though, I am using Aurora.
I'm not using Aurora so your conditions are probably different.. anyway, if I disable adblock plus the page loads a lot faster without freezing, so it seems like there's a conflict with it.

I'm not using Aurora so your conditions are probably different.. anyway, if I disable adblock plus the page loads a lot faster without freezing, so it seems like there's a conflict with it.
Ah, ok. Just for informational purposes, I'm using adblock plus as well. I'm on version 25.something of Aurora.

Ah, ok. Just for informational purposes, I'm using adblock plus as well. I'm on version 25.something of Aurora.
Well, I tried installing Aurora as a test and it didn't fix it. I'm not sure what to do. It'd be a good idea to give the option to disable the market transactions feature though, so I can have a temporary fix without having to disable adblock plus. I mean, we have the option to disable the "Total Spent" on the account page, so might as well?

Well, I tried installing Aurora as a test and it didn't fix it. I'm not sure what to do. It'd be a good idea to give the option to disable the market transactions feature though, so I can have a temporary fix without having to disable adblock plus. I mean, we have the option to disable the "Total Spent" on the account page, so might as well?
Yeah sorry this version got pushed out without the ability to disable it. A little bit of an oversight on my part, as there were a lot of Firefox users clamoring for this feature that was just released in Chrome. Disabling Ad-Block to speed it up is... interesting. I assume they must have some sort of script detection that is blocking Enhanced Steam's call to the Steam market API because the returned results are so big.

I'll try to get an updated version out soon.

Did something change with the Chrome version and the Steam Marketplace? Before, market items purchased wouldn't show up green until a restart but now they're showing up green quite soon after purchase. Not a complaint; I dig it.

So I finally did get this to work on Android.

After many tries to edit Firefox to bypass the annoyingly rigid version checking it does for extensions, I got it to work with Opera for Android.

You need a specific and outdated version of Opera liked from their blog here. (newer versions of Opera are a Chrome fork and the "Opera Classic" on Google Play apparently doesn't support extensions in that version).

Then you just install it via the Opera extensions page. https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/enhanced-steam/

It's a slighty older version of ES but eh, it works and my stuff is highlighted now on Android. At least if I got to the full desktop page. The Steam mobile site doesn't highlight but that's okay. One thing at a time.  :)

This works for me for now, though if the Firefox permissions get updated to allow Android I'll definitely be giving that a try again at a later point in time.

Did something change with the Chrome version and the Steam Marketplace? Before, market items purchased wouldn't show up green until a restart but now they're showing up green quite soon after purchase. Not a complaint; I dig it.
Nothing changed in the caching. It expires after one hour or after you restart the browser session. There was an update that fixed some of the market highlighting so it could be that. :)

So I finally did get this to work on Android.

After many tries to edit Firefox to bypass the annoyingly rigid version checking it does for extensions, I got it to work with Opera for Android.

You need a specific and outdated version of Opera liked from their blog here. (newer versions of Opera are a Chrome fork and the "Opera Classic" on Google Play apparently doesn't support extensions in that version).

Then you just install it via the Opera extensions page. https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/enhanced-steam/

It's a slighty older version of ES but eh, it works and my stuff is highlighted now on Android. At least if I got to the full desktop page. The Steam mobile site doesn't highlight but that's okay. One thing at a time. :)

This works for me for now, though if the Firefox permissions get updated to allow Android I'll definitely be giving that a try again at a later point in time.
Sorry for making you jump through the hoops. I'm gonna try to do some testing tomorrow on my Nexus 7 w/ Firefox to see what I can find out. I'll keep you posted.

In other news:

http://www.thunderboltgames.com/features/article/jason-shackles-and-enhanced-steam-feature-for-pc.html

...since I often get new games as part of cheap indie bundles, play them a few times, and then forget that I own them.
Now, why did you have to go and lie in a public piece like that. Everyone here knows the truth!

Seriously though, kudos dude! ES is taking off better than sliced bread.

Sorry for making you jump through the hoops. I'm gonna try to do some testing tomorrow on my Nexus 7 w/ Firefox to see what I can find out. I'll keep you posted.

In other news:

http://www.thunderboltgames.com/features/article/jason-shackles-and-enhanced-steam-feature-for-pc.html
Oh it's fine, it's not you it's Firefox. I've been down that road with them before too. They're annoyingly rigid in their restrictions on which versions extensions can be installed to. I'd be fine with a disclaimer I have to agree to before installing on an untested version or whathaveyou but having to go into advanced setting and manually type stuff in bla bla to disable their extension blocking is really a bit much.

/rant

Anyhow congrats on the article. You deserve the attention. Hopefully Valve will notice. :p

I agree about the whole 'users feel like nobody at Valve is listening to them' thing. I really feel like Valve employees are up in an ivory tower and their (obviously outsourced) support is basically the Great Wall of China blocking your access to them. But I've got 98% of my digital game collection there, it's convenient and none of the competitors really have the selection or full features to match so I stay.

Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 4.2 and should be updating automatically or will update automatically when you restart Google Chrome.

In this version:
  • Fix bug in international currency formatting
  • Adds support for Steam Workshop icon on app page linking to search page
  • Updated Italian, Russian, French, and Spanish translations
  • Adds HowLongToBeat information on the app page
  • Adds achievement stats to the "All games" list

Up next is a new version of Enhanced Steam for Firefox, hopefully one that works with Firefox for Android.

Have had an issue for about two weeks now where tabs on the steam market will lock up for 2-5 seconds - and this happens pretty regularly a few seconds after the page has loaded (possibly every time).  Using chrome with the AdBlocker Plus extention (developer build and standard).  Version 4.2 hasn't fixed this.

Thanks for your sweet app :)

Word gets around

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/864976115643582603/#c864976115644363689

Tea 43 minutes ago
Originally posted by Usagi:
I couldn't even find that warning. I was looking all over the page, and was coming here to see if it requiered it. I was excited when i saw this pop uo on the steam front page. That exchitement crashed and burned when i strated the video and saw the ubisoft logo. Now, seeing it confirmed that you need that Uplay trash, this is yet another game i will never own.
It's in the small print ("3rd-party DRM: Uplay") but there's a browser plugin called Enhanced Steam that highlights that titles have DRM in a big red box above the buy button, if that interests you.

Word gets around
Indeed it does! Over 250,000 downloads, and currently the top trending extension on Google Chrome.

Thank you all again for your continued support!

Also - done with the new Firefox build. Hopefully Mozilla reviews it as quickly as they have my last few builds.

This will be in version 4.3:

6Y56wP7.png

Oh that's awesome. I am always scrolling down that ever increasing very long list just to look for green play buttons.

If I can make a request before the feature even gets added :p can it be made to exclude F2P games like TF2? Sorry but I'm don't feel like buying $9 worth of useless digital crap to get a useless digital card.

Oh that's awesome. I am always scrolling down that ever increasing very long list just to look for green play buttons.

If I can make a request before the feature even gets added :p can it be made to exclude F2P games like TF2? Sorry but I'm don't feel like buying $9 worth of useless digital crap to get a useless digital card.
With the above filter, it will filter out anything that is on the page that says "No card drops remaining" (in blue). So if there is a F2P game on the list and you're not eligible for a drop, it will already be excluded.

So for example let's say you do end up buying $9 worth of useless digital crap for TF2, it should then say "1 card drop remaining" and won't be filtered from the list, since you can get a card from it.

Shacks, congrats on the article. Moving up in the world! Keep up the great work!

So I bought the Groupees Be Mine 9 this morning, because I wanted Ittle Dew (plus a couple others). When I went to the Steam page for the game, I noticed that the lowest price outside of a bundle was $12.59, which is a big jump from $5 (or even lower, $3.50 from the Flying Bundle). This got me to thinking, is there any way to implement in that price section on the game's page whether a game has been bundled before, using indiegamebundle.wikia.com as a reference? I know that Wiki is not always totally accurate, but it's better than not knowing. All I'm envisioning at this point is a simple line of text under the lowest historical price saying "This game has been bundled before. (Where?)" with the (Where?) being a direct link to that game's page on the Wiki. If it hasn't been bundled, that line wouldn't even show up. Is this even possible, and how much extra work are we talking? My PayPal account told me he can fund ten minutes of your time.  :bow:

Shacks, congrats on the article. Moving up in the world! Keep up the great work!

So I bought the Groupees Be Mine 9 this morning, because I wanted Ittle Dew (plus a couple others). When I went to the Steam page for the game, I noticed that the lowest price outside of a bundle was $12.59, which is a big jump from $5 (or even lower, $3.50 from the Flying Bundle). This got me to thinking, is there any way to implement in that price section on the game's page whether a game has been bundled before, using indiegamebundle.wikia.com as a reference? I know that Wiki is not always totally accurate, but it's better than not knowing. All I'm envisioning at this point is a simple line of text under the lowest historical price saying "This game has been bundled before. (Where?)" with the (Where?) being a direct link to that game's page on the Wiki. If it hasn't been bundled, that line wouldn't even show up. Is this even possible, and how much extra work are we talking? My PayPal account told me he can fund ten minutes of your time. :bow:
Let me check on this and I'll let you know. :)

I guess IGBW is the best we have minus some forum posts and Steam groups which are actually a bit more complete in some cases. Still IGBW tends to miss a fair amount of stuff though and the guy who runs it is really Nazi anal about not adding deals that aren't a "bundle" like Indiegamestand. And it doesn't catch regular game store bundles at all (ie Amazon, Steam etc). Also coupon code discounts are problematic and not really tracked well at all.

I almost wonder if maybe Shax can maintain a database initially pulled from freely available info elsewhere and then have it crowd source updates, but that's one more thing to track and is a pain.

I did notice IsThereAnyDeal is starting to track bundles now so I wonder if there's any way to pull that info in, but even so I don't think they have historical info.

I almost wonder if maybe Shax can maintain a database initially pulled from freely available info elsewhere and then have it crowd source updates, but that's one more thing to track and is a pain.

I did notice IsThereAnyDeal is starting to track bundles now so I wonder if there's any way to pull that info in, but even so I don't think they have historical info.
At present I have far too much data entry / Enhanced Steam development going on to create a system to easily facilitate crowd-sourcing this information.

However, like you said, IsThereAnyDeal is working on this, and they'll be pushing this info to Enhanced Steam soon. While it's not 100% complete with historical data, they're "back-porting" a lot of the historical bundles.

So this is totally doable - and should be coming soon.

Here is a rough draft of what I'm working on:

FgnEbj0.png

This would be for games that are currently featured in bundles.  Those that have previously been in bundles in the past will have a different dialog.

Here is a rough draft of what I'm working on:

FgnEbj0.png

This would be for games that are currently featured in bundles. Those that have previously been in bundles in the past will have a different dialog.
Talk about going above and beyond... you're making it so we can basically buy bundles through the Steam storefront. Might want to consider a name change to "Hijacked Steam". :drool:

Here is a sample "Pay what you want" bundle.  Though some will be a bit of a misnomer.

dwa2EJd.png

Essentially, if the bundle has a variable price (indie royale, for example) it will be marked as "Pay what you want".  If it has a fixed price like BundleStars it will look like the screenshot above with the price.

I just published Enhanced Steam for Chrome version 4.3 so it should be updating automatically in the next hour or so. Here is the changelog:

• Adds option on badge page to hide games with no drops remaining
  • Adds game bundle purchase support to applicable app pages
  • Fixed a bug where market transaction processing was happening on every market page
  • Fixed a bug on the options page if language is Spanish
  • Fixed a bug where HLTB info was displaying twice on apps with WSGF certification
As always, let me know if you run into any problems!

wheres that so much win meme...

This is freaking awesome dude, so many (more) great features and the turnaround between updates is crazy! If I ever win the lottery expect an unexpected donation coming your way ;)

and in the likelyhood that I never make out big on a scratch off ticket, well I don't REALLY need two kidneys ^_~

Just checked and got the update and it's working great for me with bundle games showing the bundles. This is super, super awesome. Way more than I every expected.

Congrats for going above and beyond.  :bow:

Just checked and got the update and it's working great for me with bundle games showing the bundles. This is super, super awesome. Way more than I every expected.

Congrats for going above and beyond. :bow:
Thanks! I'll add stuff for games that have been in past bundles in a future update. I thought adding current bundles could potentially save people way more money.

Hey guys, Tomas from IsThereAnyDeal here, I'm glad you like bundles update!

Few of you have shown concern about accuracy of number saying how many times the game was in bundle (which Jason should add soon) so I wanted to let you know that I have already started adding past bundles into my database. Just now I finished with Humble Bundle and all their bundles except Mojam 2, music bundle and 2 eBook bundles (which don't include games) have been inserted.

I have used official Humble Bundle support pages but I've relied also on Indie Games Bundle Wiki you mentioned here, because I didn't collect all info I need before recent Specials update on ITAD.

Other bundle pages will be added soon.

Hey guys, Tomas from IsThereAnyDeal here, I'm glad you like bundles update!

Few of you have shown concern about accuracy of number saying how many times the game was in bundle (which Jason should add soon) so I wanted to let you know that I have already started adding past bundles into my database. Just now I finished with Humble Bundle and all their bundles except Mojam 2, music bundle and 2 eBook bundles (which don't include games) have been inserted.

I have used official Humble Bundle support pages but I've relied also on Indie Games Bundle Wiki you mentioned here, because I didn't collect all info I need before recent Specials update on ITAD.

Other bundle pages will be added soon.
cool to see you on CAG, and thanks for all your work on the great website. Really psyched about all this bundle integration, it makes things a lot more convenient and is one of my new favorite features. Keep up the great work, both you and Shackles (and everyone else that helps make it all work the way it does) :)

A few small tweaks to the badge page:

zJ4qqmf.png

And to the individual badge page:

LlB3aUC.png

I've also fixed the issue where foil badges were linking to their non-foil counterparts in the market.

I just noticed Steam Enhanced shows that I 'own' the Total War Master Collection even though I never bought that collection but rather got all the games separately. Is that a new thing or something that has been there all along and I just missed it?

Either way it's quite useful.

I just noticed Steam Enhanced shows that I 'own' the Total War Master Collection even though I never bought that collection but rather got all the games separately. Is that a new thing or something that has been there all along and I just missed it?

Either way it's quite useful.
It hasn't been that way forever, it was added in version 3.3 (quite a while back).

Basically, if you own every item in a pack, it will mark the pack as "owned" regardless of whether you purchased that pack itself or the games inside individually.

Cheers! :)

Apparently some people think this extension can do things that it can't do.

Someone on the SPUF was complaining about DRM that isn't listed on the Steam store page (and yeah that really chafes my hide too) and someone else told him to use "Extended Steam" (there is no such thing so obviously he means Enhanced Steam) to warn about all that "additional DRM nonsense".

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34865978&postcount=3

1. Valve has no reason to change anything to make a user's life better. They care only about money. And if they'll restrict publisher, they risk to lose money.
2. Use Extended Steam, Luke. It shows warnings about additional DRM nonsense.
Sure enough, if you look at the pages of the two games the OP in that thread mentions Rayman Legends and Splinter Cell Black List there's no mention of additional DRM, which of course there wouldn't be since it's not mentioned in the fine print on the page to grab it from.

Even though it's due to their own ignorance, it still seems a bit troublesome that some people might think they are protected when they aren't. Really Valve should put their foot down about this nonsense, but yeah, like that's going to happen.

I don't suppose that pulling from the Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam is still on the table now that it's been wikified?

On a semi-related note, after months of multiple people bitching at the Spectromancer devs to add their 3rd party DRM to their Steam store page (and at one point some of the posters being told by the dev 'You do it' :roll:) they finally added their DRM to the page.

Sure enough, if you look at the pages of the two games the OP in that thread mentions Rayman Legends and Splinter Cell Black List there's no mention of additional DRM, which of course there wouldn't be since it's not mentioned in the fine print on the page to grab it from.

Even though it's due to their own ignorance, it still seems a bit troublesome that some people might think they are protected when they aren't. Really Valve should put their foot down about this nonsense, but yeah, like that's going to happen.

I don't suppose that pulling from the Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam is still on the table now that it's been wikified?
I re-wrote the uplay detection script for the next version of Enhanced Steam and it correctly identifies the new Splinter Cell. I don't think they've announced uPlay for Rayman Legends - Rayman Origins didn't have it so I think (at this point in time) it's generally assumed that Rayman Legends won't have it either.

Pulling data from the PCGamingWiki for this DRM list might be something that I move to in the future if developers keep pulling shady stuff like this. They are working on getting an API set up for Enhanced Steam that I'll have access to this and other data going forward (including links to their wiki entries for each game, etc) so I'll keep an eye on it.

Of course we both know the best way to get publishers to disclose this: demand refunds from Valve. Legally speaking, you're entitled to a refund if you are presented with a EULA after purchase that contain terms you do not accept. Fortunately (in the US at least) the Steam Subscriber Agreement (a contract) doesn't trump this consumer protection law. If people simply started demanding refunds from Valve rather than saying "Ok, I guess I have to jump through all these hoops to play Splinter Cell", we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

I don't think they've announced uPlay for Rayman Legends - Rayman Origins didn't have it so I think (at this point in time) it's generally assumed that Rayman Legends won't have it either.
People on the Steam forums are saying it has UPlay rewards and achievements. I didn't get a chance to verify that from some direct source yet but multiple people are citing it. I did see that the console versions at very least cite UPlay integration so it seems like they would do it for the PC too I would think. I suppose it's possible they could do a separate version for Steam without UPlay integration but that seems highly unlikely.

On the rest though I agree people need to get serious about complaining about hidden DRM and requesting refunds, but Steam's CS really does suck and is very YMMV. Plus I constantly get the feeling that no matter what I tell them it is never really getting passed on to actual Valve employees, because let's get real their CS is outsourced.

I live in the Seattle area and have never once seen them posting any hiring for CS jobs, other stuff yes but not CS, plus the responses you get just scream cheap outsourced CS.

I don't think they've announced uPlay for Rayman Legends - Rayman Origins didn't have it so I think (at this point in time) it's generally assumed that Rayman Legends won't have it either.
All I know is that I was required to sign in and launch U-Play to play the demo, so I'd say it's likely the full game will require it too.

This just keeps getting better and better. Thanks.

Is there any chance of adding library filtering or an option to change between title/genre/category in the search so I can say, see all of my adventure games or everything that supports local co-op?

bread's done
Back