OFFICIAL Final Fantasy XII thread

[quote name='espy605']I was told they only received enough copies to cover preorders. Whether or not this is true, I have no idea.

1.5 hours for me to go! Woohoo![/QUOTE]
Not true. We got extra copies of the CE. We had about 15 extra copies of the CE and 5 extra of the regular edition. Also we only had like 5 extra of the LE guide. No idea on whether we'll get more of any of those, but the regular edition game.

I got a FFXII shirt that they sent to employees!

Argh, I got to decide whether to keep my pre-order, since I still need to finish Tales of Abyss. Why can't I have more time during the week...

[quote name='tehweezner']i'm going to pick it up tomorrow

hey rei, are there a ton of CE copies?[/quote]

I read that EB got alot more CEs than the regular editions, that those who preordered the regular had to upgrade to the CE if they wanted to pick it up at midnight.

[quote name='Dhuk']I read that EB got alot more CEs than the regular editions, that those who preordered the regular had to upgrade to the CE if they wanted to pick it up at midnight.[/QUOTE]
Not true. If you preordered a regular, then you got a regular. You did have the choice to upgrade since we had extras, but you in no way had to upgrade.

I was wondering how set charcters are a role? I mean for example, in FFX yes you could make Tidus into a Mage, however he functioned best as a fighter. Or in FFVI you could turn Realm into a Fighter, but again it took alot more training then it did to simply give her magic.

Im wondering if FFXII is like those two, or if its more like FFVIII and VII where charcters had differences but they were not that large and it didnt take much to change their role. I just recently started and I was thinking about making Vaan my thief charcter giving him daggers, light armor etc etc. But it doesnt make sense to do this if its going to mean not only having to force the role on him(though I think he probally fits this naturally)just to later on then take the charcter who is more built to be the theif and force them to be a fighter/mage/ranged fighter.

So, how stuck are charcters in their roles?

[quote name='MSI Magus']I was wondering how set charcters are a role? I mean for example, in FFX yes you could make Tidus into a Mage, however he functioned best as a fighter. Or in FFVI you could turn Realm into a Fighter, but again it took alot more training then it did to simply give her magic.

Im wondering if FFXII is like those two, or if its more like FFVIII and VII where charcters had differences but they were not that large and it didnt take much to change their role. I just recently started and I was thinking about making Vaan my thief charcter giving him daggers, light armor etc etc. But it doesnt make sense to do this if its going to mean not only having to force the role on him(though I think he probally fits this naturally)just to later on then take the charcter who is more built to be the theif and force them to be a fighter/mage/ranged fighter.

So, how stuck are charcters in their roles?[/QUOTE]
They start as pretty much blank slates. You can make each character into ANYTHING you want. I was taking a look through the license board and it's completely up to you how you want to customize them. While Panelo, for example, may start with the first white magic already learned all the other firsts are near each other. So you can easily turn her into a damage absorbing tank if you choose to.

All the major HP and MP upgrades are learned through the licenses, so it's up to you where you want to put them.

Just picked up mine at EBGames (regular edition). The guy who came in after me didn't have a preorder, and since they didn't have any non-preorder copies of the regular edition, he had to pay $10 more for the collector's. What a bunch of crooks. ;)

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']They start as pretty much blank slates. You can make each character into ANYTHING you want. I was taking a look through the license board and it's completely up to you how you want to customize them. While Panelo, for example, may start with the first white magic already learned all the other firsts are near each other. So you can easily turn her into a damage absorbing tank if you choose to.

All the major HP and MP upgrades are learned through the licenses, so it's up to you where you want to put them.[/QUOTE]

Ya but what about strength, inteligence, speed and the others. What good is turning Vaan into a mage if he gains nothing but speed?

O and a little tip to everyone that iv found makes the game ALOT more fun. Turn the battle speed up, makes things go alot faster and seems more important then in past FF's since its boring sitting and waiting to do anything.

Played the game a few hrs last night , really like it!

FRIGGIN CAMERA though!!!! It's inverse from what most games default to and I don't think we can change it :(

I also ended up with the Ashe LE guide, couldn't have worked out better!!! She's pretty much the hottest character!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ya but what about strength, inteligence, speed and the others. What good is turning Vaan into a mage if he gains nothing but speed?[/QUOTE]
All of it is on the board. They're called augments. They increase magic power, speed, etc. Like I said, make them anyway you want.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']All of it is on the board. They're called augments. They increase magic power, speed, etc. Like I said, make them anyway you want.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, someone in another topic said that its by level too that and it means that some charcters are going to be way better at certain things(such as Panelo with magic).

Another question can you always come back for hunts on the message board or if you dont do them when available will they dissapear?

George Lucas wishes he could have made FFXII. But seriously, the opening cutscene alone is better than the entirety of Episodes 1, 2, and 3.

This game is so fun, and I'm only a few hours in. Word.

Episode 7: Luke's Final Fantasy INC?

Just got this today at FYE with the trade 4 get 1. :) I am really looking forward to playing this soon. My wife says I need to finish Castlevania CoD first though, ha ha. (I started that one a few days ago)

Whoever made the default camera controls needs to be fired, seriously. A multi-million dollar budget and they give you no option to change camera control? I hate the inverted camera and it sours the experience a bit. Game is good so far, am about 3 hours in.

[quote name='Kendro']Whoever made the default camera controls needs to be fired, seriously. A multi-million dollar budget and they give you no option to change camera control? I hate the inverted camera and it sours the experience a bit. Game is good so far, am about 3 hours in.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you. It's going to take a while to get used to the camera but the worst part is that then I might have trouble getting back to using the regular camera when playing other games.

[quote name='Kendro']Whoever made the default camera controls needs to be fired, seriously. A multi-million dollar budget and they give you no option to change camera control? I hate the inverted camera and it sours the experience a bit. Game is good so far, am about 3 hours in.[/QUOTE]

I agree there should have been an option...but honestly this camera doesnt bug me at all.

[quote name='jasonlives13']I completely agree with you. It's going to take a while to get used to the camera but the worst part is that then I might have trouble getting back to using the regular camera when playing other games.[/QUOTE]

So you caved in and got the game, huh, Jasonlives13? LOL...keep posting impressions, guys, makes it nice for guys like me that are stuck at work and can't get it for awhile...

[quote name='keithp']So you caved in and got the game, huh, Jasonlives13? LOL...keep posting impressions, guys, makes it nice for guys like me that are stuck at work and can't get it for awhile...[/QUOTE]

Impression - Enjoy it so far though it has had boring moments, but alot of people have said the first 6 hours ARE a bit slow. Overall as I said having fun and liking it alot. My only complaints are that I wish the mini map was bigger or that the full map didnt take so long to load, and that its stupid that when on a hunt you have to not only find the monster but also the person that posted the job.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I agree there should have been an option...but honestly this camera doesnt bug me at all.[/QUOTE]
I agree. It's that hard to use an inverted camera? How are people even complaining about this? I didn't even notice since 50% of games have camera control like that anyway.

I have to add that Balthier fucking rocks.

Bought it like an hour ago from CC.

I am spending way more money than I should on video games this month. I kind of feel bad about buying it, I'm sure I'll feel find after I play it though :p

Wow..

I just turned the game on. I'm in the first screen right when you select a new game and they're playing the Final Fantasy theme song.. it just struck a chord in me. I'm expecting a huge game here. I haven't appreciated a Final Fantasy game since VII and VI.

[quote name='MSI Magus']and that its stupid that when on a hunt you have to not only find the monster but also the person that posted the job.[/quote]
How would you get paid if you didn't tell the person who posted the hunt that you completed it?

I've already found something I don't like.. this game looks like SHIT in widescreen. I thought widescreen was all I needed.. looks like I was wrong. Progressive scan probably would've helped tons.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How would you get paid if you didn't tell the person who posted the hunt that you completed it?[/QUOTE]

Guild system. You go to a guild to get the job, whenever you finish the job you go to the same spot. Kinda like work agencies we have in real life. Cut out all the stupid back and forth you know.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Guild system. You go to a guild to get the job, whenever you finish the job you go to the same spot. Kinda like work agencies we have in real life. Cut out all the stupid back and forth you know.[/quote]
Those are in there as well. Just find a clan hall and you can get some tougher hunts there.

Got the game from CC on my way home from work, nabbed the second to the last one! Guy in line behind me grabbed the last one, after I showed him where they were.

Sadly I have to go out for a while and won't be able to play until later....arrrrgh...

Hay guyz I didn't know I was buying Final Fantasy XI-2 lolzz.

That's seriously what it feels like: an MMORPG. I had a negative outlook of this game ever since the demo that came with DQ8, and after playing for about 2 hours, my feelings haven't changed. I hope it gets better. :(

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Hay guyz I didn't know I was buying Final Fantasy XI-2 lolzz.

That's seriously what it feels like: an MMORPG. I had a negative outlook of this game ever since the demo that came with DQ8, and after playing for about 2 hours, my feelings haven't changed. I hope it gets better. :([/quote]

I actually like the real game more than the demo... but then I liked FFXI too. :lol:

Bonus note, someone didn't pick up their CE art book and the clerk sold it to me because I'm always nice to him. =)

My gamestop had a stack of a few CE games, a lot of regular copies, a bunch of CE guides, and a bunch of Guitar Hero 2's.

Probably going to buy guitar hero 2 this weekend or next.

*Minor minor minor spoilers*

Apparently to get the strongest weapon in the game, you have to avoid opening 4 certain treasure chests, one of which is really early in the game,
the one in front of Dalan's house.
If you open it, the 100% sure-fire chance of getting the most powerful weapon in the game goes down to 1% chance. I for one hate crap like this, where you have to read a FAQ before-hand just to have a shot at the ultimate weapon. Oh well. The only reason why it isn't bothering me completely is because even though it warned me in the guide, I wouldn't want to read the guide ahead of time spoiling myself the entire game's story, just to know which other chests not to open.

[quote name='chaarlieee']I've already found something I don't like.. this game looks like SHIT in widescreen. I thought widescreen was all I needed.. looks like I was wrong. Progressive scan probably would've helped tons.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad it's not only me, then... I'm also really disappointed the game dosen't support Progressive Scan, seems like a huge oversight on Square's part.

I'm also not too fond of Vaan's voice, either.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Hay guyz I didn't know I was buying Final Fantasy XI-2 lolzz.

That's seriously what it feels like: an MMORPG. I had a negative outlook of this game ever since the demo that came with DQ8, and after playing for about 2 hours, my feelings haven't changed. I hope it gets better. :([/QUOTE]

I think it takes the best aspects of FFXI and applies them extremely well to a single-player experience. Final Fantasy was getting pretty stale, and I couldn't have asked for a better overhaul. This game blows FFX straight out of the water, and I've barely gotten my feet wet.

Just like FFXI, I love that running away is just that--running away. It's intense as hell trying to sprint back to a city with three or four enemies trying to tear you to pieces.

[quote name='Kendro']*Minor minor minor spoilers*

Apparently to get the strongest weapon in the game, you have to avoid opening 4 certain treasure chests, one of which is really early in the game,
If you open it, the 100% sure-fire chance of getting the most powerful weapon in the game goes down to 1% chance. I for one hate crap like this, where you have to read a FAQ before-hand just to have a shot at the ultimate weapon. Oh well. The only reason why it isn't bothering me completely is because even though it warned me in the guide, I wouldn't want to read the guide ahead of time spoiling myself the entire game's story, just to know which other chests not to open.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, dude. That really helps me out considering I'm right at that point in the game. Can you tell us where the other chests are if you know which ones they are so I don't open them?

Yea great... I opened that 12 hours ago.

[quote name='Kendro']*Minor minor minor spoilers*

If you open it, the 100% sure-fire chance of getting the most powerful weapon in the game goes down to 1% chance. I for one hate crap like this, where you have to read a FAQ before-hand just to have a shot at the ultimate weapon. Oh well. The only reason why it isn't bothering me completely is because even though it warned me in the guide, I wouldn't want to read the guide ahead of time spoiling myself the entire game's story, just to know which other chests not to open.[/quote]

Hey who here bought the CE version of the game. I really like the case and artwork. I just wish we got some more with it, like a figurine or something.

[quote name='MadFlava']Hey who here bought the CE version of the game. I really like the case and artwork. I just wish we got some more with it, like a figurine or something.[/quote]

It just comes with a DVD... The paint also comes off really fucking easy apparently as I already have two silver spots on the bottom. :evil:

Man, Vaan's voice is the worst in the game, and I figured out why... he just sounds so emotionless and hollow, and it sounds like his VA was WAAAAAAAY too close to the microphone when they recorded his lines.

He sounds like a depressed 30 year old man rather than a 17 year old kid, and all of his lines come out flat and hollow.

All of the other VA's are pretty awesome, though, espically Balthier.

[quote name='Roufuss']Man, Vaan's voice is the worst in the game, and I figured out why... he just sounds so emotionless and hollow, and it sounds like his VA was WAAAAAAAY too close to the microphone when they recorded his lines.

He sounds like a depressed 30 year old man rather than a 17 year old kid, and all of his lines come out flat and hollow.

All of the other VA's are pretty awesome, though, espically Balthier.[/quote]

Please tell me you hate Fran. Wispering with fucking cottonmouth...

Anyone know where to get a good graphic file that shows the license board?

I got the guide but the print is so tiny and not clear.

[quote name='espy605']Anyone know where to get a good graphic file that shows the license board?

I got the guide but the print is so tiny and not clear.[/QUOTE]
There's a poster in the back of the guide that has a giant version of the board on it.

aw man,

with less than 2 hours into the game (all I've done is beat the tomato head),

the combat in this game feels jus like Contact (DS)

The difficulty of this game surprises me. I'm so used to "easier" FF games and RPGs that I was caught off guard. There were some times I got my ass handed to me until I decided to use strategy this time around. Funny how in recent RPGs I was so used to destroying everything in my path with normal attacks.

bread's done
Back