OFFICIAL Final Fantasy XII thread

[quote name='Kendal']Where is the guild hall dealie?[/QUOTE]

North side of town. Go up one screen from the bar. It's the only dot on the west end of that area.

[quote name='Kayden']It just comes with a DVD... The paint also comes off really fucking easy apparently as I already have two silver spots on the bottom. :evil:[/quote]

Yeah no joke. You could probably scratch the paint off with fingernails. It's a shame they didn't put "gloss" over the tin so the paint won't come off (ironically I thought it was cooler with the matte look). It's probably so fragile that sweaty hands will take the paint right off.

Oh yeah, Fran's voice stinks. It's like a young Judy Dench.

So what are all the products being released with FFXII?

Collector's Edition Tin (GS Exclusive)
Regular Game
Collector's Edition Guide (GS Exclusive)
Regular Guide
BB Mini Art Collection

is that all there is?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Thanks for the info, dude. That really helps me out considering I'm right at that point in the game. Can you tell us where the other chests are if you know which ones they are so I don't open them?[/QUOTE]

These are the chests you MUST NOT open:
Treasure chest in front of Daran who lives in the lowtown of Rabanastre.
Elixir chest in Rabanastre palace, which is in the south east corner of the cellars
The treasure chests inside Nalbina Dungeon in the room where you get your inventory back
And finally, the 16 chests in the south east area of Phon Coast

Is there any forewarning to not open these chests, or is this just something they throw in to sell more strategy guides. I hate that!!!!

I once dated this girl who was a total fox and she had this speech impediment that made her sound way cute. So hearing Fran reminds me of her and I really dont mind that. In fact if I lived there Fran and I might be an item. hehe Bunny loven FTW!

[quote name='espy605']Anyone know where to get a good graphic file that shows the license board?

I got the guide but the print is so tiny and not clear.[/QUOTE]

This is the only complaint I have so far with that guide. When you get to the side quests section in the back, you need a fucking magnifying glass to read the print. It was already 350 pages long. They could have added a few more pages and made the print a little bigger.

As far as the game goes, I was concerned I was going to hate the battle system. Surprisingly, I really enjoy it. It's not all that much different with the exception of moving around freely while fighting, but the upside of not having to wait for battles to start up is too good.

[quote name='Spades22']Collectors edition tin... ROFL HAHAA people actually bought it for that...[/quote]

yeah and its sooooooo limited, last night when I picked mine up, there was like a box of 50 copies... NO reserves, lol. then I went to another to pick up another guitar for guitar hero, and they had about the same amount, with no reserves... laaaaame.

[quote name='Kendro']Yeah no joke. You could probably scratch the paint off with fingernails. It's a shame they didn't put "gloss" over the tin so the paint won't come off (ironically I thought it was cooler with the matte look). It's probably so fragile that sweaty hands will take the paint right off.[/QUOTE]

The stupid EB manager getting my copy of FFXII was playing/twirling around with it in his hands and dropped it. I was like, you idiot go back and get me another one. He was too lazy to go in the back room to replace the copy he dropped on the floor so he said, just take one of the display cases in case I damaged yours. So now I have an extra FFXII metal case and instruction booklet.

[quote name='Moxio']These are the chests you MUST NOT open:
Elixir chest in Rabanastre palace, which is in the south east corner of the cellars
The treasure chests inside Nalbina Dungeon in the room where you get your inventory back
And finally, the 16 chests in the south east area of Phon Coast[/quote]

for that first chest...is this before or after the Rogue Tomato quest? Hopefully I didn't overlook this in the guide....:whistle2:#

??????

[quote name='sails']for that first chest...is this before or after the Rogue Tomato quest? Hopefully I didn't overlook this in the guide....:whistle2:#

??????[/QUOTE]

I'm 99.9% sure that it's after the tomato quest.

And finally, the 16 chests in the south east area of Phon Coast[/QUOTE]wait why can't u open those chests?!?!

Did I open the one in front of Dalan??

I cant remember...

EDIT: ack! got this off gamefaqs:

(Copied directly from Seph's Guide, but should work for US version just the same)

* Requirement - Do not open the treasure chest in front of the old man (Daran)
house in Rabanastre Downtown.
- Do not open the Elixir chest in Rabanastre Palace. (SE corner of the Cellars - US Guide)
- Do not open the treasure chests in Nalbina Dungeons inside the
room where you get back your inventory.
- Do not open the 16 treasure chests in Phon Coast South-East
section.

IF you do not get the above mentioned treasure, the spear will ALWAYS be in the Necrohol of Nabrudis, in the third area inside a room with 16 chests in it. It's ok to get all of these chests. One of them will contain the spear.

You can get the spear in the Necrohol before you ever get to Phon Coast. Just run in and run right back out.

If you got one of these chests anyway:

The spear is still available in Henne Mines, however the chances to get it are VERY LOW

a) The chest only appears 10% of the time
b) of the 10% that it appears, it will have gil 90% of the time
c) of the 10% of the time that an item is in it, it will be an elixir 90% of the time. it will be the zodiac spear the other 10%

This means you have a 1/1000 chance.

Look at http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/final_fantasy_xii_henne_secret.png

The chest is the light purple (rare treasure) R SW of the word 'Map' and E of the word 'Hints'.

The chest has a chance to respawn if you move 3 zones away and come back.

You can get infinite Zodiac Spears if you are patient (insane?) enough.

someone probably already said it, and I am being redundant,

but I didnt read the previous pages of this thread...

Yea... I've already opened the first fucking 3. Just fucking great. Why the fuck would they put chests in the game you weren't supposed to open? Looks like its gameshark time for a stupid fucking item that I shouldn't have not been able to get anyways.

Blah I didnt know about all this. God I am so past that stuff and did all the wrong things. I am not going back and starting over though.

Yeah, I'm not going to start over either. It was a stupid choice for them to do the chests like that, but oh well...I should still be able to beat the game fine.

For the ppl who preorder the FF12 CE at gamestop.com using the freeshipping code, did anyone get it yet? cause i still haven't

[quote name='Kayden']Yea... I've already opened the first fucking 3. Just fucking great. Why the fuck would they put chests in the game you weren't supposed to open? Looks like its gameshark time for a stupid fucking item that I shouldn't have not been able to get anyways.[/QUOTE]
Calm down and breathe, you can still beat the game without getting it. Most FF games have had something like this in it.

Doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. I'm not gonna worry about it. I mean, did you do that stupid lightning game in FFX to get whatshername's ultimate weapon? I sure as hell didn't. Though I did do the chocobo race, which almost killed me.

LOL, I just found out there is a power-leveling technique where you can get Vaan up to Level 30 EASILY before someone joins your party. That means when the rest of the cast joins you, they start at level 30 as well. Sure you can argue that isn't fun. But I'm into RPGs for the story and enjoy being like God beating the **** out of every monster in one strike. Oh well, that's for my 2nd play through.

[quote name='Kendro']LOL, I just found out there is a power-leveling technique where you can get Vaan up to Level 30 EASILY before someone joins your party. That measn when the rest of the cast joins you, they start at level 30 as well. Sure you can argue that isn't fun. But I'm into RPGs for the story and enjoy being like God beating the **** out of every monster in one strike. Oh well, that's for my 2nd play through.[/QUOTE]

Care to share your trick?

[quote name='Kendro']LOL, I just found out there is a power-leveling technique where you can get Vaan up to Level 30 EASILY before someone joins your party. That measn when the rest of the cast joins you, they start at level 30 as well. Sure you can argue that isn't fun. But I'm into RPGs for the story and enjoy being like God beating the **** out of every monster in one strike. Oh well, that's for my 2nd play through.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, dude, please share.

It's not my trick, got it off GameFAQs. But here goes. Its quite long, but basically it is killing the T-Rex in the desert for massive exp.

***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***

If you're the type of person who likes to discover how to do certain things by yourself, then please DISCONTINUE READING.
Otherwise, you might regret it. Strong emphasis on the 'might'.

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***
This contains a lot of SPOILERS, so please, read at your own risk. SPOILERS meaning it'll take the fun out of playing the game.

LEGEND

LP - License Points
LB - License Board
HP - Hit Points
MP - Magic Points
Exp - Experience Points
MK/MKs - Mist Knack/Mist Knacks

First, a small introduction. I may understand a bit of Japanese when it's spoken, but I definitely don't understand Japanese text. So when I started playing the FFXII J version, I thought I'd level up Vaan until the English version comes out. Here's what I did, which is a bit roundabout, but hey, it works.

After the part where you kill the Stray Tomato mob hunt and head back to Rabanastre, you'll be able to explore Dalmasca Westersand, Giza Plains, and most of Dalmasca Eastersand. Now what you need to do is to increase Vaan's level to 15. Since you're still at the beginning, some of the monsters near Rabanastre just can't give you the exp that you need and most are too difficult to beat right now. Buy the Cure spell and use the appropriate LP in order to buy it in the License Board.

Go to Nalbina Fortress and visit their armor and weapon shop. Buy the Iron Sword (Atk +24), Leather Shield (Eva +8. I'm not sure about this shield, but it's the only one available in Nalbina at this point), Bronze Helmet (Mag Def +6, Str +2), and Bronze Armor (Def +7, Str +2). Of course you need to use some License Points in order to equip them.

Now, at this point in my game, Vaan was already level 15. If you still haven't reached that level, it's ok. That's what the equipment is for, time to kill some enemies. Head to Nebra Shore in the Dalmasca Eastersand and enter the small camp there.

Talk to the shop owner and buy the Battle Harness (Chance to counter when hit, Str +2. Costs 1000 gil). Equip it (use License Points) and head outside the camp. Go to the shore and attack the floating fish (exp 180+ per kill). Oh and remember to steal, steal, steal before you kill them. You can get a nice amount of gil by selling the items you steal from these fishies.

There are only two of them that spawn along the length of the shore so the trick here for quick respawning is to go back to the camp after killing them, save, go back to the title menu (press Start then Square then choose Yes), reload your game, and the two fishies will be back at the shore. Just rinse and repeat until Vaan becomes level 15. Just watch out for the rare monster GREED that spawns at the shore. One way to avoid encoutering it is to kill the Flower Saboten (the cactus-looking plant-thingy) that appears near the shore by the sand next to the coconut trees.

When Vaan reaches level 15, hopefully he has enough LP available to acquire 3 Mist Knacks. Since I'm playing the J version, I didn't mind what Mist Knacks in the License Board to get, I just took the nearest ones because they cost less LP.

Afterwards, head back to Rabanastre Eastersand Gate and save your game there. If you don't have the skill LIBRA (ability to see enemy info and traps) yet, you should buy it in Rabanastre and use LP in order to use it.

If you've done a bit of exploring, you probably noticed the Dinosaur T-Rex type monster that's wandering around the first map of Dalmasca Eastersand, right outside Rabanstre. Use LIBRA skill and check out its stats. Normally the T-Rex's level ranges from only 29-30 (6000+ HP, 300-400 Dmg), but it becomes level 36 (6700+ HP, 700-900 Dmg) when it eats a wolf(the orange-something colored wolflike monsters roaming around). Anyway, keep that in mind.

Now comes the fun part. Since you bought 3 MKs in the LB, you can now use it against that monster Dino. I prefer to use LEVEL 1 MK as a starter since the animation is a lot faster than the LEVEl 2 or the LEVEL 3 MK. It takes a bit of luck and practice, but if you can pull off a nice combo of 6-10 hits (does a random amount of damage from 7000-20000. Well, I THINK it's random), it instantly kills that Dino and you earn 2700+ Exp.

Just hold R2 and keep pressing TRIANGLE rapidly (it's the only button available at this point since Vaan is by himself). Even if you're only able to do 3-5 hits, that's ok as long as it kills the Dino, because after doing MKs, you're MP becomes 0, and if that Dino is still alive, you better make a run for it. When it's dead, go back to Rabanastre, save, go to title menu, reload game, kill Dino, repeat. Do this until you reach level 30.

Now if you're like me, you're probably bored and tired from doing all those MKs (my right arm bicep actually grew larger and became a lot harder, though it's still pretty small). To make the game more interesting at this point, here is what you can do. Use the LP you've acquired and use it to get the UNARMED ATTACK POWER UP (that's what it says in the FFXII LICENSE GRID TRANSLATION(PNG) in gamefaqs by enjirube).

It's up to you to decide which path you want to take in order to get it, but I do suggest you use a path that acquires all of the STRENGTH UP, ACTION TIME SHORTENED 10%, SHIELD EVASION RATE UP, and HP+ skills because it'll make your character a lot stronger. After you've done all that, unequip Vaan's weapon and shield and pound on that Dino with his BARE HANDS. That's right, no weapon and no shield. Attack the Dino.

But always use LIBRA to check if the Dino is level 30 or 36, because if it's level 36, you need to rely on your MK combos again. Vaan can't take the 700-900 dmg per hit from the Dino. Now you might ask why you need to get the SHIELD EVASION RATE UP skill if Vaan isn't even going to use a shield, here's why.

Stop pounding on the Dino for now and go visit Dalmasca Westersand from the Rabanastre Westersand Gate. BIG CREDITS to sephirosuy / Seph ([email protected]) for writing the 80 Rare Monster List. Get a certain number of chain combo from killing wolves, if you notice the chain combo number flashing, that means that a the LIMBLE WOLF rare monster has appeared in the small map located South of South-West.

Now don't mistake the TEXTA Wolf Rank E Mob Hunt monster for the LIMBLE WOLF rare monster. Remeber the LIMBLE WOLF is in another map, a small map South of South-West from your current location. The TEXTA wolf is sort of like multi-colored, big wolf that hangs out near the exit to the small map, while the LIMBLE wolf is big and red (or some shade of red) all over. Go visit the LIMBLE WOLF.

Your goal here is to steal the GRADIUS (Atk +45, Wind Strike) which is a dagger type weapon. Kill the other wolves first and lure the LIMBLE WOLF near the exit of the map. Steal, steal, steal. The LIMBLE WOLF does about 100+ damage per hit and has a special attack that damages (around 300 dmg) and poisons you.

Thanks to all that HP+ and Active Time Shortened skills, not to mention all that hard work at increasing Vaan's level to 30, you'll steal it in no time. If you're having problems though, losing HP and whatnot, just exit and heal yourself then go back in and steal. After you've stolen the GRADIUS, use LP so that you can equip the weapon and now you can equip a shield. Don't kill the LIMBLE WOLF yet though. Just leave it alone for now.

Go pay the Dino a visit and you'll be doing 900-1000+ damage per attack. Bye-bye Dino. Just make sure the Dino isn't level 36 or else you're still dead meat. But wait, since you have all the SHIELD EVASION RATE UP skills, you might be able to kill it even thought it's stronger. Just pray that Vaan evades its blows. Or you can just MK it like before. Easy, right?

Now I get pretty bored easily so I continued the story until I got to the Tomb of Raithwall, just for fun. Vaan was level 37, Balthier and Fran at 38, and Basch, Ashe, and Penelo at 39. It took me about 4 hours (with food and bathroom breaks of course) to navigate through all the maps and storyline events and kill everything before I reached the Tomb of Raithwall.

The fun thing about leveling Vaan at the beginning is that all the other characters level up (actually they're higher in level than Vaan when you get them, except Penelo when you get her for the first time) and they all have the same number of LP that Vaan accumulated. So when I first got Penelo, her level was 37 and her number of LP was 3200. Nice, right? Saves you the trouble of having to run around with Penelo to increase her level and LP.

With Vaan at level 37, you could literally kill any NORMAL enemy with one blow (except for the Dino and some other high level normal monsters), even without a weapon and shield (as long as you have the UNARMED ATTACK UP skill of course).

Some bosses like Baggamonan, Fuuji, Gijuu, and Rino at the Lhusu mines (which you're supposed to run away from) can be beaten without pressing a button (thanks to the Gambit system). Also the Demon wall in the Tomb of Raithwall can be punched and kicked to death. I'm talking about the 1st Demon Wall, which has a lot of HP and Defense. My characters did about 500-700 damage per UNARMED attack. The Demon Wall was toast. And this was done with none of the playable characters at level 40.

Imagine if you had the time and patience to increase Vaan's level to 50 by just killing the Dino over and over again. Oh and I haven't tried it yet, but I have a theory that you can steal the GRADIUS dagger from the LIMBLE WOLF over and over again. You know, just steal it, save, reload, go back and steal it, save, reload. Just don't kill the LIMBLE WOLF. I'm probably wrong but since I'm a bit sick of the game at this point, I'll just try it some other time.

Oh and if you can get Vaan to acquire 3 MKs before you reach level 15, the better. You can beat the crap out of that Dino a lot earlier and you can gain Exp faster. That's all. The End. Sorry for the typos. And the bad grammar. And for any wrong information that I was too lazy to correct.

[quote name='spoo']Calm down and breathe, you can still beat the game without getting it. Most FF games have had something like this in it.[/quote]

Which? Care to back that up? I remember where therewere minigames that were ultra fucking annoying (Lightning dodge, chocobo race) and some weapons just took forever to find (Ultima in FFIX), but I can't remember any game where the best weapons were all but impossible to get because of a stupid chest. Missing things like that is a Suikoden trick, not FF.

[quote name='Kayden']Which? Care to back that up? I remember where therewere minigames that were ultra fucking annoying (Lightning dodge, chocobo race) and some weapons just took forever to find (Ultima in FFIX), but I can't remember any game where the best weapons were all but impossible to get because of a stupid chest. Missing things like that is a Suikoden trick, not FF.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but at least with Suikoden games you EXPECT that shit to happen. YOU KNOW that Suikoden tries to fuck with you at every turn so you make sure to check a guide and everything before moving on so you get all the Stars. With FF games, one tends to explore themselves more because they know they aren't going to miss important shit. Not in this game.

Maybe I am just sucking ultra hard, but I'm already dying at the beginning of the game, with Vaan going to the desert a second time. I mean you can barely dodge enemy attacks, and it seems like it takes forever for your attack bar to load up. I also got killed in one hit by the t-rex thing on the tomato hunt.

The story is great so far, I think its really good.

Should I pick up the guide for this game? I was reading a bit about that stupid chest thing. Is the LE one worth picking up?

[quote name='Blackout542']Maybe I am just sucking ultra hard, but I'm already dying at the beginning of the game, with Vaan going to the desert a second time. I mean you can barely dodge enemy attacks, and it seems like it takes forever for your attack bar to load up. I also got killed in one hit by the t-rex thing on the tomato hunt.

The story is great so far, I think its really good.

Should I pick up the guide for this game? I was reading a bit about that stupid chest thing. Is the LE one worth picking up?[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't even be LOOKING at the Trex at that point unless you're doing the powerleveling strategy. ;)

[quote name='Moxio']You shouldn't even be LOOKING at the Trex at that point unless you're doing the powerleveling strategy. ;)[/quote]

I didn't even know, I was thinking FF8, LOL.

Is there a way to increase the battle speed?

[quote name='Blackout542']
Should I pick up the guide for this game? I was reading a bit about that stupid chest thing. Is the LE one worth picking up?[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely getting a guide first thing tommorrow... for some reason, I'm not getting the license board at all, I'm not seeing what benefits choosing light armor would have over heavy armor for instance and the fact that everyone starts out at the same place on their boards means I have 4 people who are pretty much identical, so I think I'm doing something wrong.

The manual mentioned how it would be better to have people specialize in certain things (I guess like FFX) but I have so many license points that I'm just blowing them on everything so I have 4 carbon copy characters.

Right now the license systems seems to be more "Buy everything you can hurray!" then "make sure you have a strategy in mind and buy only what you need".

Basically the benefits of light over heavy armor is speed. Light armor gets speed bonuses that heavy armor doesn't. If you equip it on a character that uses a dagger you can get quite a few extra hits in.

Thing is that shops aren't good in telling you that. For example, you may wonder why you would bother getting a license for staves when if you look at the stats before you buy it it's a minimal attack upgrade. Well when you actually equip a staff you see that it boosts magic power. I don't know why it isn't listed in the shop stats.

Most of the equipment is common sense things. Like mystical armor is going to protect against magic attacks better, and give boosts to MP and magic power. Daggers will attack faster, and more commonly get double and even triple attacks, than swords. Basically if you've ever played a RPG you know what each weapon specializes in. The only exception might be guns, which specialize in piercing armor.

Is there a way to increase the battle speed?
Under config there's an option for it.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yeah, but at least with Suikoden games you EXPECT that shit to happen. YOU KNOW that Suikoden tries to fuck with you at every turn so you make sure to check a guide and everything before moving on so you get all the Stars. With FF games, one tends to explore themselves more because they know they aren't going to miss important shit. Not in this game.[/quote]

Thats what I was saying. FF makes things difficult by making you find something obscure or killing bosses with 99999HP. I can't think of any FF that made it all but impossible to obtain an item of such importance.

As for Suikoden- the first thing I do when I start is open up a FAQ and ctrl+F missable. :lol:

Some obvious notes/tips about the game since some of these things defied me fior a while.

Mist Knacks. There IS enough for everyone to get three on the board so don't hesitate to get them. Having two doubles your MP, and having three triples it. IOW, have your healers get their mist knacks as soon as possible. Just plan accordingly, You can see every square on the board that has one, so if you have someone going in the direction, may want to leave them at 2 and have them get that one they're heading toward as the third.

When you find the double lp item, buy a crapload (3-6). Your buddies who aren't in battle still get the lp. Equip them with it. Now they get double. You'll never have lp problems again.

The bangle not only shows enemy status but traps, so if you're having trap trouble, might want to equip it. If your idiot buddies keep running into them anyway and there's no monsters around, take them out of the party and go solo.

Abuse guest characters when you have them. At no other time can you have four people. It makes some of the more advanced mob hunts a lot easier.

When you can handle the load of magic, have someone (or everyone in my case) set to Any ally ---> Haste on low priority. Hell, I have everyone with it, and one with it on high priority. You simply have a HUGE upper hand when everyone's getting more turns in. If you wind up getting mobbed, it could very well be the difference maker in surviving. Its a slaughter. Bad guys often won't get more than a hit in.

Guns pierce defense, so if you're fighting a tortoise or something that looks like its protected well, equip it and give it a go. Don't worry if its a drop in attack power. It pretty much always is with guns. I believe it's supposedly the same with measures, but I've yet to mess with it.

There are some super weapons. Not the best, but far more kick ass than anything you'll see at that point in the game. Those can help you out if you're having trouble, and you can usually even get six if its a random drop. Two in particular is one in the Tomb of Raithwall, if you defeat, well, let's just call it the "first" (you'll know when you get there). Awesome one handed sword. Randomly generated though, and took me a hellish long time to get just one. But far better than anything at that point of the game. Another is in the Barheim Passage when you get in it the second time. There's all sorts of crap in Barheim so check the GF message boards and such when you get the key back in.

Any other obvious tips? Eh, I wish I'd known about that treasure chest thing as I fucked it up myself.

why not open them?

When you can handle the load of magic, have someone (or everyone in my case) set to Any ally ---> Haste on low priority. Hell, I have everyone with it, and one with it on high priority. You simply have a HUGE upper hand when everyone's getting more turns in. If you wind up getting mobbed, it could very well be the difference maker in surviving. Its a slaughter. Bad guys often won't get more than a hit in.
Where do you place the Haste? 3rd?

[quote name='ahmedmalik']why not open them?[/quote]

... Can you do me a HUGE favor and just go ahead and punch yourself in the face?

I found a kick-ass leveling spot. Don't worry, I'm keeping spoilers to a minimum. When you get to Lhusu Mines, on the 4th "area", these skeleton enemies keep respawning. You can clear out like 40 of them before they are gone for good. Then you just move back two areas, and return, and they will have re-spawned.

1) It took me about an hour to level from 10 to 18 so its easy and very quick. Basically as you cross this bridge, skeletons keep rising from the ground. You fight like 3 at a time, for a total of 15 or so. When you get to the end of the bridge, just turn around, and they come back. After clearing about 40 of them, they no longer respawn, so you have to go back 2 areas then return and they will have "respawned."

2) Since the skeletons are all the same type of enemy, killing them gives you chains. I've chained like 100 enemy kills so after my 40th kill, they were dropping real valuable loot. By the time I finished leveling up, I had about 70,000 gil. You know how in the beginning of the game money was so hard to come by? I've bought all the best weapons, 50 of every potion and item, all the gambits, all the magic, and I still have about 30,000 gil. You need to chain to get the valuable stuff though.

[quote name='Kendro']I found a kick-ass leveling spot. Don't worry, I'm keeping spoilers to a minimum. When you get to Lhusu Mines, on the 4th "area", these skeleton enemies keep respawning. You can clear out like 40 of them before they are gone for good. Then you just move back two areas, and return, and they will have re-spawned.

1) It took me about an hour to level from 10 to 18 so its easy and very quick. Basically as you cross this bridge, skeletons keep rising from the ground. You fight like 3 at a time, for a total of 15 or so. When you get to the end of the bridge, just turn around, and they come back. After clearing about 40 of them, they no longer respawn, so you have to go back 2 areas then return and they will have "respawned."

2) Since the skeletons are all the same type of enemy, killing them gives you chains. I've chained like 100 enemy kills so after my 40th kill, they were dropping real valuable loot. By the time I finished leveling up, I had about 70,000 gil. You know how in the beginning of the game money was so hard to come by? I've bought all the best weapons, 50 of every potion and item, all the gambits, all the magic, and I still have about 30,000 gil. You need to chain to get the valuable stuff though.[/QUOTE]

I Did the same thing but only for 4 or 5 run throughs. Maybe 30 mins of work. Good Stuff Here.

I have a question for anyone whos put a decent amount of time in on the hunts:

I'm just after the first (?) fight with Judge Gish on the Leviathan.

At this point, I have a few hunts accepted, namely the Nidhogg in the Mines at Bespin Cloud City :)D). The thing is, I get my nuts stomped in like its twinkie day at the mall. When I accepted the hunt, it said Rank 1, just like good ol' Rogue Tomato...so am I missing something? Shouldn't I stand a chance at this guy? Peeking at the guide it seems theres a ton more of these things to hunt down, I'd imagine I should be able to easily breeze through the first few. What gives?

[quote name='Kendro']It's not my trick, got it off GameFAQs. But here goes. Its quite long, but basically it is killing the T-Rex in the desert for massive exp.[/quote]

Is the Nelbina Fortress the same thing as the Nelbina Dungeon? I didn't even know they had a weapon shop (I looked ahead at the guide- i'm still before going to Dalan's house )

[quote name='sails']Is the Nelbina Fortress the same thing as the Nelbina Dungeon? I didn't even know they had a weapon shop (I looked ahead at the guide- i'm still before going to Dalan's house )[/quote]
Nevermind ...checked world map LOL

[quote name='infamyRISE']I have a question for anyone whos put a decent amount of time in on the hunts:

I'm just after the first (?) fight with Judge Gish on the Leviathan.

At this point, I have a few hunts accepted, namely the Nidhogg in the Mines at Bespin Cloud City :)D). The thing is, I get my nuts stomped in like its twinkie day at the mall. When I accepted the hunt, it said Rank 1, just like good ol' Rogue Tomato...so am I missing something? Shouldn't I stand a chance at this guy? Peeking at the guide it seems theres a ton more of these things to hunt down, I'd imagine I should be able to easily breeze through the first few. What gives?[/QUOTE]

Slow, Immobilize, and Dispel are key in hunts and sometimes even later boss fights. Now Dispel you probably shouldn't have yet, and Immobilize doesn't work all that often anyway, but Slow usually works.

Just make sure you're Hasted before you approach the enemy (every single one of your characters), then have your healer cast slow while you go to work. Since the Nidhogg is all physical, if you have Protect, definitely have that precasted like Haste. It's all about maxing your buffs, and screwing over the enemy's in this game. If that still doesn't work, come back later.

A lot of the mob hunts become available before you're capable of them. There's a few points of the game where you're capable of clearing all of them, but seldom is it worthwhile to take on something when you can go to the next place, get a boost in levels and armor, and trash them the second time around on a whim. You could level to hell to take him out, but there's just not a lot of advantages to it unless you've struck upon some great point for leveling.

[quote name='infamyRISE']Thanks, robbart![/QUOTE]

Not a problem. Buffs become pretty important, so I'm sure you would have figured it out sooner or later anyway. I actually have a lot of my characters set to auto haste/protect/shell on low priority, so that if we're not fighting, they're casting when it runs out. (Increase priority for long boss fights obviously).

Sounds like a waste of magic, but compared to the cost of curaja and such near the end of the game that you'd be using a bit more if you got hit more, its really not so bad. Besides, you are just plain less likely to get killed in the first place when all your stats and speed are boosted.

Where you are in the game you may not have the sp to do something like that, but as soon as you have enough to handle at least haste in low priority (get those three quickenings so you have tons of magic), the game is a breeze.

It's a painful necessity in a lot of rpgs, but thanks to FFXII, you can just set it on gambits and not have to worry too much.

Just picked this game up yesterday and played about 2 hours last night. Seems that a guide is worthwhile for it.

But still, I think this is the first console RPG in which being an MMO player will actually help me understand stuff instead of confuse the hell out of me.

How are your character classes looking so far?

Vaan - My "Juggernaut." Sword, heavy armor and shield, always first to rush in kicking ass (or get his kicked).
Basch - Same, he's my "Colossus." (He's going Conan-style once I get my hands on a two-handed weapon).
Penelo - Attack support, dagger, light armor, back-up white magic.
Ashe - Attack support, dagger, light armor, back-up white magic.
Fran - Bow and arrow and a mix of white and black magic, concentrating on white.
Balthier - Gun and a mix of white and black magic, concentrating on black.

bread's done
Back