PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Probably going to wait at least a year (probably two) before I buy a PS4. The PS3 is really rolling right now as far as value and content and I really don't think I'll need a PS4 any time soon to get my Sony fix. My PS3 backlog is really outrageous and will last me quite some time... :D

I think the PS4 this year is one year too early, however perhaps Sony will put it out on the market (at a premium) at the same time as the PS3 in response to a new Xbox from Microsoft. I think the PS3 still has a good 2-3 years left in its tank and is one of the best gaming values out there.

[quote name='breakfuss']Downloadable PSN games are indistinguishable from those on disc. The same hurdles still exist.[/QUOTE]

They said that about PS2 games... they'll probably take a similar approach. I don't know that much about the emulation process, is there a reason this can't be done with PS3 "Classics"?

Consumers will be pissed if they can't play all of their PSN games on PS4.

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't know about you but I want 60 FPS in 1080P. That IS graphics.[/QUOTE]

I do, too. It's just that I don't consider resolution or framerate to be encompassed by the contemporary usage of the term 'graphics'. Many people don't even realize what resolution is when they talk about them.

But, yes, I would love if the PS4 could at least match my computer from 3 years ago.

The resolution issue was confounded by the fact that in this generation games ran at sub-HD resolutions. There was some false advertising there or many people were delusional, or both.

[quote name='Bxnextel']I hope it plays ps3 games. Bc gta v comes out in the fall. And I hope it 599 or less.[/QUOTE]

Rumored hardware, would make both of those things nearly impossible to achieve.

[quote name='Bxnextel']I hope it plays ps3 games. Bc gta v comes out in the fall. And I hope it 599 or less.[/QUOTE]

I don't care if it plays PS3 games (that's why I own a PS3). But it better not cost $599. There's no way they make that mistake again, especially if Xbox's new console releases around the same time.

I'm thinking $399. Competitive price point. Part of the reason the PS3 was so expensive was the BD drive was new tech at the time, that's not the case anymore. Will come with no game, but sport the new dualshock controller with some sort of touch interface built in. Release date November 4, 2013.

An easy argument for BC is that if a PS3 breaks people will be more likely to purchase a PS4 to replace it. This creates a bigger install base and causes the sale of software to increase as well.

A graphical leap isn't really necessary at this point unless Sony is going for high-end customers. "Good Enough" is what people respond to, but only if the games are great and the price is right (low in this economic situation).

[quote name='AdmrlBalls']I don't care if it plays PS3 games (that's why I own a PS3). But it better not cost $599. There's no way they make that mistake again, especially if Xbox's new console releases around the same time.

I'm thinking $399. Competitive price point. Part of the reason the PS3 was so expensive was the BD drive was new tech at the time, that's not the case anymore. Will come with no game, but sport the new dualshock controller with some sort of touch interface built in. Release date November 4, 2013.[/QUOTE]

That true. Bc when I bought my ps3 in 2006. The Blu ray player was 1000 dollars and my ps3 cost me 758 with a best buy plan. But it was still cheaper then a stand alone Blu ray player.

But why have the biggest game of the year gta v come out on sept. when the new playstation will come out less then two Months.

[quote name='Bxnextel']But why have the biggest game of the year gta v come out on sept. when the new playstation will come out less then two Months.[/QUOTE]
God of War 2 came out 3 months after the PS3's launch for the PS2.

[quote name='htz']God of War 2 came out 3 months after the PS3's launch for the PS2.[/QUOTE]

But u could have played it on the ps3 right. We may not play ps3 games on the ps4.

[quote name='Bxnextel']But u could have played it on the ps3 right. We may not play ps3 games on the ps4.[/QUOTE]
But we don't know that yet. I have heard Sony might go the route of charging for a dongle that enables backwards compatiblity or through the use of Gaikai.

[quote name='htz']But we don't know that yet. I have heard Sony might go the route of charging for a dongle that enables backwards compatiblity or through the use of Gaikai.[/QUOTE]

So we may play ps3 Disc on the ps4.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/06/rumor-ps4-in-japan-later-this-year-will-cost-more-than-400/[/QUOTE]
If they can do $400 maybe $450 with move + a real pack in game (not shovelware). Then they might have a Winner or at least something to grab some sales. Plus no DRM on games.

I believe if Sony or Microsoft does always on DRM or DRM tied to an account to defeat used game sales, the consoles will fail. People want to borrow games or trade them in.

But that's in yen. The US dollar is so weak right now. I'm thinking they'll go for $350 just like WiiU. They matched 3DS launch price with Vita price, so I don't think they'll go higher. Plus there is more competition to worry about (Microsoft) with a console.

This goes for Microsoft too, but if they go higher price, if they stop used games, if they don't include backwards compatibility, if they don't allow all those digital game purchases to carry over, most of us will be going with the other console. Or stick to PC.

Personally, I don't see myself buying any new console in the next 2 years. I'll see how stuff pans out. I'm in sequel fatigue right now, so I don't care about any "new" sequel game coming out on a next gen system. Plenty of titles coming out this year on current gen. With a backlog of quality titles from last year.

I'll give Sony/Microsoft a little hint: The company that allows your gamerscore to transfer to the new console will get tons of early adopters.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']

I'll give Sony/Microsoft a little hint: The company that allows your gamerscore to transfer to the new console will get tons of early adopters.[/QUOTE]

Windows games, and the vita have pretty much declared this a standard feature. Dont think anyone expects profiles to not be linear across systems.

[quote name='edson13']Windows games, and the vita have pretty much declared this a standard feature. Dont think anyone expects profiles to not be linear across systems.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. I'll be surprised if either system doesn't do that.

Also disappointed because I've come to love that system. Not necessarily for the points/trophies themselves, but more so because it keeps track of games I've played and lets me see what my friends have played.

im not sold at this being ps4. Yes it's strange they would call this big event for say ps vita redesign news and what not. Why would sony come out with a white and red ps3 if they plan on bringing out next ps this fall. I could very well see a ps vita redesign and at end say we will show off home system at e3 due out in 2014.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']im not sold at this being ps4. Yes it's strange they would call this big event for say ps vita redesign news and what not. Why would sony come out with a white and red ps3 if they plan on bringing out next ps this fall. I could very well see a ps vita redesign and at end say we will show off home system at e3 due out in 2014.[/QUOTE]

A announcement of a redesign ps vita is not a good idea if they dont have any games to back it up with. With the luckluster ps vita games in the market right now, having a new version is the least of sony's worries. I do think this is going to be ps4 and possible previews of release line up

[quote name='CAGkrazy']A announcement of a redesign ps vita is not a good idea if they dont have any games to back it up with. With the luckluster ps vita games in the market right now, having a new version is the least of sony's worries. I do think this is going to be ps4 and possible previews of release line up[/QUOTE]

it's possible but sony has let us down before. IF it is for ps4 we might see a system or photos and names of possible launce titles nothing more then that. heck the first ps3 we seen was not the finale system. It could be vita it could be ps home. ps home new update overhaul is due out anyday. I hope it's ps4 but im not sold that it will be.

i do not plan on buying ps4 right away anyways. My pc is more powerfull then any next gen system so don't really need it. If i do get a next gen system it's going to be next xbox seeing sony supports past sytems for long time which means games will still be coming out for ps3. When it comes to microsoft that is not the case. I buy sony and nintendo systems for exclusives and think next gen will be the same.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']im not sold at this being ps4. Yes it's strange they would call this big event for say ps vita redesign news and what not. Why would sony come out with a white and red ps3 if they plan on bringing out next ps this fall. I could very well see a ps vita redesign and at end say we will show off home system at e3 due out in 2014.[/QUOTE]
What I could imagine happening is kinda a trifecta. First off PS Vita Redesign, but that can't be the main feature of this conference. I can't believe Sony would call in both investors and press for just a PS Vita redesign. Second PS3 price drop.

Reason they released the new PS Systems, is to have the market like the end of the PS2 beginning of PS3. Push as many systems out the door of the PS3 while they still can. Most people are not ready for PS4 so make the PS3 attractive.

Then drop the PS4 announcement.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']What I could imagine happening is kinda a trifecta. First off PS Vita Redesign, but that can't be the main feature of this conference. I can't believe Sony would call in both investors and press for just a PS Vita redesign. Second PS3 price drop.

Reason they released the new PS Systems, is to have the market like the end of the PS2 beginning of PS3. Push as many systems out the door of the PS3 while they still can. Most people are not ready for PS4 so make the PS3 attractive.

Then drop the PS4 announcement.[/QUOTE]

Man a ps3 price drop would be awesome announcement as well. superslim is not doing well with its current price. Price it at 199 and ill be all over it again.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Man a ps3 price drop would be awesome announcement as well. superslim is not doing well with its current price. Price it at 199 and ill be all over it again.[/QUOTE]

if they would drop the white to 199 and still include the one year of ps plus dude i would be waiting at gamestop to trade my 120 slim for 75 extra bucks to get that white one. lol

just thinking about that it very well could happen. they show off new ps vita design. ps3 drops to 199 price and at the end when people are down say oh yeah we will be showing ps4 at e3 2013. Thanks for coming. Sooner or later the ps3 has to drop price to like 250 or 199 which would be a sweet spot for most people that don't own one yet. It just puzzles me why push a new system when you just spent tons of money bringing white ps3 to the u.s and giving a year of ps plus with it and then in april the red god of war one is out.

I think this conference is mostly to set expectations for this year and give us an update on their plans going forward. It will most likely end with a tease of what the PS4 looks like or something of significance to let us know it's coming. E3 will be the main stage to show off specs, games, etc. All I know is Sony has a lot of hype going right now, so they need to nail whatever is in store for the 20th.

Why would Sony announce a PS3 price drop? They just announced the red god of war PS3 bundle for $349.99 which has not even come out yet.

The Vita will most likely have something to do with the meeting. It came out last year in NA on 2/15(1st edition bundle) and 2/22(official launch) so 1 year anniversary.

Hopefully, it's more than just a Vita/PS3 price drop announcement. With all of the horrible rumors swirling about the new Xbox (required kinect/internet, no used games), Sony has a chance to win this generation's console war before it even starts.

[quote name='aheineken']Hopefully, it's more than just a Vita/PS3 price drop announcement. With all of the horrible rumors swirling about the new Xbox (required kinect/internet, no used games), Sony has a chance to win this generation's console war before it even starts.[/QUOTE]

Considering there is also an equally horrible rumor surrounding Sony (no used games), Sony has just as much of a chance to fuck things up.

Sony's strategy. Amazing PS3 exclusive titles + cheap but good content on PS+ this year. Next year release PS4 with Uncharted Collection and the The Last of Us GOTY, rinse and repeat with every franchise they have, possible Vita accessories to make out to to the TV like the PSP Go.

Honestly, I am satisfied with the PS3 and my VITA/Move need more games/support. Only thing MS has to offer are family/kinect titles and like 3 exclusive shooter titles. Except for more RAM to get better graphics, don't see how they can do more with the next gen besides better security.

Sony is already ahead with its exclusive content. Sony is making PS+ so cheap with good content that they make it worth it not to hack the PS3 and stay on their network, they need to keep the ball rolling and make it easier for 3rd party support with a stable/unhackable hardware/network environment. I believe that why the PS and go failed, it was just easily hackable and nobody wanted to support it due to piracy.

I think next gen is going to be less about the games and more about the "apps" they will have. Now that Sony is going to be similar to the Microsoft in terms of hardware, there won't be a big discrepancy between games (especially ones that Sony refuses to advertise). The biggest hurdle Sony has is the American audience with Microsoft and that they potentially will want to stay with the Xbox for gamertag/achievements/friends, and trying to convince them that the next hardware they should own is a PS4.

I'm really hoping that the Gaikai acquisition factors into an additional bonus for PS+ on the PS4. If they can make that Instant Game Library turn into an occasional game into a streaming game service, that would be absolutely awesome. But I don't know how difficult that would be for them to pull off since I know nothing about how that stuff works, but that's my hope.

another reason why i think it will not be a giant ps4 thing is that would you not want it to be showing all over? Last i heard it's only being shown on playstation website. I know the god of war system is coming out for 350 but that don't mean the old slim will not get a price drop. The super slim ps3 is the new ps3 look. This thing will be about ps vita info maybe a new look, ps3 price drop or a ps home relaunch which has been in the works. At the end we will get that tune into e3 we will be showing off the next home system from us.

[quote name='nixmahn']Sony's strategy. Amazing PS3 exclusive titles + cheap but good content on PS+ this year. Next year release PS4 with Uncharted Collection and the The Last of Us GOTY, rinse and repeat with every franchise they have, possible Vita accessories to make out to to the TV like the PSP Go.

Honestly, I am satisfied with the PS3 and my VITA/Move need more games/support. Only thing MS has to offer are family/kinect titles and like 3 exclusive shooter titles. Except for more RAM to get better graphics, don't see how they can do more with the next gen besides better security.

Sony is already ahead with its exclusive content. Sony is making PS+ so cheap with good content that they make it worth it not to hack the PS3 and stay on their network, they need to keep the ball rolling and make it easier for 3rd party support with a stable/unhackable hardware/network environment. I believe that why the PS and go failed, it was just easily hackable and nobody wanted to support it due to piracy.[/QUOTE]

you think hackers really care about ps+ that they would not hack the network lol. To be honest the games coming out for ps+ in recent months have been desapointing. I would love to see more big titles like they did with lbp2 and infomus 2. those games have been on ps+ for awhile and they are still making them the flag ship games of it.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']you think hackers really care about ps+ that they would not hack the network lol. To be honest the games coming out for ps+ in recent months have been desapointing. I would love to see more big titles like they did with lbp2 and infomus 2. those games have been on ps+ for awhile and they are still making them the flag ship games of it.[/QUOTE]

I actually did not hack my PS3 so I could play the games I want on it legally and not download tons of blu-rays into more hardrives I have to buy for them. Being a CAG'er games are easier to get on sale then finding it and d'l or ripping it myself.

My 360 just sits there gather dust, I don't even hack it because there is nothing I want to play on it. My PSP Go and Wii are hacked because of the large and free library of games I have/can get for them.

If Sony wants the PS4 to succeed, they need 3rd party support w/ creative content, they get that content with a stable business gaming environment were the developers can get money for their product, early release is another strategy I suppose. That is where all three have failed in the past few years. PS3 is still selling in 3rd world countries and coming out with good games exclusives that I'd rather support. MS is pushing kinect like its the best thing since sliced bread and we all know is sucks.

I think $399.99 is my max as well. I expect that to include the new Eyetoy 2.0 as well. Couldn't care less about the MOVE though, I just want proper hand/voice tracking without the need of an accessory.

Only seven days away. I honestly think they'll announce a price drop for the Vita. It'll be great to have another PS console, but honestly I'm content with my two PS3's. If they announce a new PS, I could see it going for $399.

[quote name='nixmahn']I actually did not hack my PS3 so I could play the games I want on it legally and not download tons of blu-rays into more hardrives I have to buy for them. Being a CAG'er games are easier to get on sale then finding it and d'l or ripping it myself.

My 360 just sits there gather dust, I don't even hack it because there is nothing I want to play on it. My PSP Go and Wii are hacked because of the large and free library of games I have/can get for them.

If Sony wants the PS4 to succeed, they need 3rd party support w/ creative content, they get that content with a stable business gaming environment were the developers can get money for their product, early release is another strategy I suppose. That is where all three have failed in the past few years. PS3 is still selling in 3rd world countries and coming out with good games exclusives that I'd rather support. MS is pushing kinect like its the best thing since sliced bread and we all know is sucks.[/QUOTE]

the problem is 3rd party companys don't want to make games for just ONE system. The only real exclusive games we see these days are first party games. 3rd party games will mostly never be system exlusives they lose too much money that way.

[quote name='nixmahn']I actually did not hack my PS3 so I could play the games I want on it legally and not download tons of blu-rays into more hardrives I have to buy for them. Being a CAG'er games are easier to get on sale then finding it and d'l or ripping it myself.

If Sony wants the PS4 to succeed, they need 3rd party support w/ creative content, they get that content with a stable business gaming environment were the developers can get money for their product, early release is another strategy I suppose. That is where all three have failed in the past few years. PS3 is still selling in 3rd world countries and coming out with good games exclusives that I'd rather support. MS is pushing kinect like its the best thing since sliced bread and we all know is sucks.[/QUOTE]

plus not sure where you got i was saying you are a hacker lol what does hacking psn have to do with hacking a ps3 system

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']Only seven days away. I honestly think they'll announce a price drop for the Vita. It'll be great to have another PS console, but honestly I'm content with my two PS3's. If they announce a new PS, I could see it going for $399.[/QUOTE]

a ps vita price drop would make sense seeing it's been out a year. The promo does not even hint at a new ps announment. I still think it's a ps vita redesign or price drop and a ps3 price drop and maybe at end so a teaser clip of new playstation to be showed at e3.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']the problem is 3rd party companys don't want to make games for just ONE system. The only real exclusive games we see these days are first party games. 3rd party games will mostly never be system exlusives they lose too much money that way.[/QUOTE]
Actually to be fair, on the PC side, there are many exclusives. Total War, Blizzard Games, Torchlight 2, etc. It's not just about being exclusive, it's about can you be profitable being exclusive.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']Only seven days away. I honestly think they'll announce a price drop for the Vita. It'll be great to have another PS console, but honestly I'm content with my two PS3's. If they announce a new PS, I could see it going for $399.[/QUOTE]

I'm content with the PS3 as well as there are tons of games out for it that I haven't played yet and a even more games coming out in the upcoming months that I want to play.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02...s-fumito-ueda?abthid=511bc5bdb929485a12000082 :whee::pray::bouncy::whee:

Ueda: "I should also mention that details regarding The Last Guardian's release is solely decided by Sony Computer Entertainment, not myself. Please keep an eye out for their official announcement."

IGN: "Now, we're not sure about you, but it's that middle bit that strikes us as interesting. If responsibility for the announcement lies with Sony, it seems reasonable that this could be because the company has yet to officially announce the platform that the game is now being developed for. With a big announcement of some sort planned for February 20...." :hot:

Why would Ueda say something NOW? The timing is too perfect in regards to Feb 20th...

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02...s-fumito-ueda?abthid=511bc5bdb929485a12000082 :whee::pray::bouncy::whee:

Ueda: "I should also mention that details regarding The Last Guardian's release is solely decided by Sony Computer Entertainment, not myself. Please keep an eye out for their official announcement."

IGN: "Now, we're not sure about you, but it's that middle bit that strikes us as interesting. If responsibility for the announcement lies with Sony, it seems reasonable that this could be because the company has yet to officially announce the platform that the game is now being developed for. With a big announcement of some sort planned for February 20...." :hot:[/QUOTE]

I could totally see The Last Guardian becoming a launch game for the PS4. This wouldn't be the first time a console maker did something like this.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I could totally see The Last Guardian becoming a launch game for the PS4. This wouldn't be the first time a console maker did something like this.[/QUOTE]

I don't care what system the game is released on. All I know is that I want it :cry: Here's hoping for Feb 20th

[quote name='KillerRamen']I could totally see The Last Guardian becoming a launch game for the PS4. This wouldn't be the first time a console maker did something like this.[/QUOTE]

It would make sense, despite what some people think. The last we heard about this game was...a little over a year ago and that was because of Ueda's departure. I wouldn't be shocked if it comes out on PS3 (since that's what it has mainly been developed for) but also have used the time to make it at least look better for the PS4.

bread's done
Back