PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']how is psn service better ten xbl lol it's hackable and wen it's hacked it goes offline for over a month and i know for me i have 24 mb down internet and when i try to download something off of psn it's at least 2 or 3 times longer then it is on live thanks to live having better servers. I remember when socom came out it took me almost 40 mins to just download a game update for crying out loud[/QUOTE]

How many people actually had anything come from the PSN hack? None that I've seen.

How many people complained about the Fifa hack on 360? A lot.

[quote name='KrebStar']Nowhere did I claim PSN is a better service, I stated that XBL is no longer the blatantly superior service. I also stated that the argument will come down to taste and experience, and you are sharing your own experience. Here are a few of my own.

• I am able to max out my connection's download speeds on both PSN and XBL, including marketplace downloads and game updates.
  • I have experienced down time on both services, and aside from that single PSN incident, those down times have never been of significant length for anyone with a relatively normal lifestyle.
  • My XBL account was hacked on two separate occasions through no fault of my own. Customer support was surprisingly unhelpful, but in the end, nothing of value was lost. No harm, no foul.

Based on my own experiences, I could certainly whip up a paragraph stating that I believe PSN to be better, and based on my experiences, it would be true. However, brand loyalty is not something I'm into. Considering your obvious bias toward Microsoft and the services they provide, it seems strange that you would spend so much time in a thread about the future of a competing product. Then again, it also seems strange that I would put forth the effort to make this post, so i guess we can file this under "lol internet".[/QUOTE]

im not bias lol im a GAMER i play games on pc,wii,wiiu,ps3,ps2,ps1,xbox,xbox 360,dreamcast, heck i still play games on nes and snes once inawhile.

[quote name='whoknows']How many people actually had anything come from the PSN hack? None that I've seen.

How many people complained about the Fifa hack on 360? A lot.[/QUOTE]

there were stores in formes even on this website people had randome charges on their credit cards after psn hack.

Plus who in their right mind would put their credit card on a live and a psn account anyways you are just asking for it to be taken.

[quote name='KrebStar']Nowhere did I claim PSN is a better service, I stated that XBL is no longer the blatantly superior service. I also stated that the argument will come down to taste and experience, and you are sharing your own experience. Here are a few of my own.

• I am able to max out my connection's download speeds on both PSN and XBL, including marketplace downloads and game updates.
  • I have experienced down time on both services, and aside from that single PSN incident, those down times have never been of significant length for anyone with a relatively normal lifestyle.
  • My XBL account was hacked on two separate occasions through no fault of my own. Customer support was surprisingly unhelpful, but in the end, nothing of value was lost. No harm, no foul.
Based on my own experiences, I could certainly whip up a paragraph stating that I believe PSN to be better, and based on my experiences, it would be true. However, brand loyalty is not something I'm into. Considering your obvious bias toward Microsoft and the services they provide, it seems strange that you would spend so much time in a thread about the future of a competing product. Then again, it also seems strange that I would put forth the effort to make this post, so i guess we can file this under "lol internet".[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause:

PSN VS live?? well I do not mind paying for live because i only pay about 35 a year for live. The main thing i hate about live and how it bugs the hell out of me is the all the advertisements on live and how hard it is to find game related items. What normally happens when you pay for a service you get no or very little advertisements at all!!!! But other then that have no problems with either one and they both provide a great service.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']only games i play on ps3 is ps3 only games. I'm sorry but i tried to play fps on ps3 and NO ONE has mic's it's really really hard to win on games like that with out communication. As for xbox mics come with the system so pretty much everyone has access to one. Sony has to do a complete overhaul of psn for ps4 in my mind to compete wit the quality of servers and overall enjoyment of online gaming to keep up with xbox live.[/QUOTE]
This is like the best part about PSN. ;)

[quote name='AzGoat']PSN VS live?? well I do not mind paying for live because i only pay about 35 a year for live. The main thing i hate about live and how it bugs the hell out of me is the all the advertisements on live and how hard it is to find game related items. What normally happens when you pay for a service you get no or very little advertisements at all!!!! But other then that have no problems with either one and they both provide a great service.[/QUOTE]

i would agree with that it's kind of sad the amount of money microsoft makes on live im sure they don't need ads but thye just want more money.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']i would agree with that it's kind of sad the amount of money microsoft makes on live im sure they don't need ads but thye just want more money.[/QUOTE]

Gotta fund all that "timed exclusive" DLC some how.

[quote name='Gamer4life88']It's not about the price its about the principle. Microsoft charging gamers to to access services they're already paying for is the biggest money grab in gaming history and whoever pays for it in this day in age is fucking dumb.[/QUOTE]
Not only that but last time I bought PS+ I got the full Jurassic Park telltale game free with my PS+ sub. That's an actually non PS+ timed exclusive copy, mine to keep. Plus PS+ gives me free games, and discounts on games.

PS+ makes sense. Live is pointless, especially if I want to watch netflix, hulu, etc and nothing else, I could buy a $50 Roku box.

Hell PS+ is even making a PS Vita tempting for me.

I refused to buy an original Xbox because of them charging to play online, I figured I had a high end PC at the time and I already pay for the internet. It just seemed like a scam to me, and well I'm a CAG, why pay more?

When I did decide to get a PS3 it was more because I needed a blu-ray player, and I figured why not also get the blu-ray player that also plays games online for free.

With this announcement I look forward to seeing if I need to get a PS4 right away or if I can easily wait until the prices come down a bit. It just all depends on what new innovations or flashy gimmicks they decide to unveil for us. The same goes for me with the new xbox, if they ditch the pay-to-play aspects of their console I'd be more adapt to pick it up. Until then, as I said, scam.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']you really cry that 360 has no blu ray it's not big deal, xbox failure rates since slim came out in 2010 has been very low. xbox live costs 60 bucks a year most of the time you can get it for 40 bucks a year. OMG 40 bucks a year that brakes the bank.[/QUOTE]

My 360 red ringed FORTY TIMES. That's FORTY broken 360s I have just sitting here. Still on the second PS2. What do you have to say about that? BOOYAH NUGGAH

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']only games i play on ps3 is ps3 only games. I'm sorry but i tried to play fps on ps3 and NO ONE has mic's it's really really hard to win on games like that with out communication. As for xbox mics come with the system so pretty much everyone has access to one. Sony has to do a complete overhaul of psn for ps4 in my mind to compete wit the quality of servers and overall enjoyment of online gaming to keep up with xbox live.[/QUOTE]

High quality Mic use on the 360

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6alOnuN-wCY

[quote name='Paco']My 360 red ringed FORTY TIMES. That's FORTY broken 360s I have just sitting here. Still on the second PS2. What do you have to say about that? BOOYAH NUGGAH[/QUOTE]

40 lol ok and just heads up im not black so if your black stop calling other people a nuggah

[quote name='Paco']My 360 red ringed FORTY TIMES. That's FORTY broken 360s I have just sitting here. Still on the second PS2. What do you have to say about that? BOOYAH NUGGAH[/QUOTE]

plus unless you spent over 20,000 dollers on 360's you would not have 40 360s red ring seeing you don't get them back if you send in for repair try trolling little more NUGGAH

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']plus unless you spent over 20,000 dollers on 360's you would not have 40 360s red ring seeing you don't get them back if you send in for repair try trolling little more NUGGAH[/QUOTE]

Stop being racist.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']plus unless you spent over 20,000 dollers on 360's you would not have 40 360s red ring seeing you don't get them back if you send in for repair try trolling little more NUGGAH[/QUOTE]

I'll take a picture of the set sitting right here right now. Just for you since you seem to think a broken 360 is trollig.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Stop being racist.[/QUOTE]

He's jealous because he won't ever be GETTIN MONEY.

That's what happens when you try to oil up a 360. PS2 is just manly enough to handle it.

Here is hoping this isn't just an announcement of PS Vita Price drop. I mean yeah I would like a PS Vita price drop, but lets have the PS4 announcement too.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']you really using halo 3 and cod which is played buy kids why mic should not be used?[/QUOTE]
The last game I played where Mics actually made a difference was Socom 3. About 98% of the time I see mic use is just people bitching.

Once again, come next-gen it won't be PSN versus XBL with Nintendo forever trailing behind but rather PSN versus XBL versus Steam with Nintendo forever trailing behind and that's a far different dynamic.

Native network features which are lacking in Steam can generally be added-in by users in the PC environment via third-party applications due to its far more open nature whereas PSN and XBL are completely closed walled gardens.

It's myopic to only see this as Microsoft versus Sony versus Nintendo now that Valve has tossed their hat in to the living-room hardware space. It's going to completely shift perspectives and especially for cheap ass people like us considering the amount of Steam sales and sales on Steam redeemable codes elsewhere. The standard console players are going to have a rough go of it in the digital space when they have major games sitting at $60 with maybe a rare sale for $30 when Valve is tossing around much cheaper versions of those same games repeatedly and via multiple retailers.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Once again, come next-gen it won't be PSN versus XBL with Nintendo forever trailing behind but rather PSN versus XBL versus Steam with Nintendo forever trailing behind and that's a far different dynamic.

Native network features which are lacking in Steam can generally be added-in by users in the PC environment via third-party applications due to its far more open nature whereas PSN and XBL are completely closed walled gardens.

It's myopic to only see this as Microsoft versus Sony versus Nintendo now that Valve has tossed their hat in to the living-room hardware space. It's going to completely shift perspectives and especially for cheap ass people like us considering the amount of Steam sales and sales on Steam redeemable codes elsewhere. The standard console players are going to have a rough go of it in the digital space when they have major games sitting at $60 with maybe a rare sale for $30 when Valve is tossing around much cheaper versions of those same games repeatedly and via multiple retailers.[/QUOTE]

This is true. If Valve (or insert manufacturer here) can get a $400-500 living room PC that is prebuilt, Steam ready with an option to come preinstalled with Windows, the PS4 and 720 will meet their match. Steam has been amazing the past few years with deals and indie bundles, and you save a ton of money buying games on sale on PC.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']This is true. If Valve (or insert manufacturer here) can get a $400-500 living room PC that is prebuilt, Steam ready with an option to come preinstalled with Windows, the PS4 and 720 will meet their match. Steam has been amazing the past few years with deals and indie bundles, and you save a ton of money buying games on sale on PC.[/QUOTE]

I don't see this happening. Isn't most of the digital money market share in mobile phone games?

I don't even think the Steam Box will outsell the Wii U.

You have to really think about the breadth and depth of the library available to PCs now and apply that to a set-top box: Each and every past console or computer or calculator or whatever with an emulator has their libraries playable on a Steambox. Any OS which users can cram onto a PC or emulate or virtualize has their libraries playable on a Steambox.

Now consider that both the Durango and the Orbis are converging towards more standardized PC architectures and you can even envision a time when those games are playable on some future Steambox. (because it's a friggin PC afterall)

A Steambox, in the right hands, will be able to play most of the games ever made. It's just going to take some time, effort, and knowhow and that's exactly what PC users are known for. (and those more complex operations eventually get made into very simplistic ones for the users who lack the technical prowess)

With a Sony console you can play in the Sony ecosystem, with a Microsoft console you can play in the Microsoft ecosystem, and with a Nintendo console you can play in the Nintendo ecosystem but only with a Steambox can you tap-into all of the previously mentioned ecosystems plus a ton of others. It's baffling, for me, to think of how any closed walled-garden console maker even begins to compete with that.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Here is hoping this isn't just an announcement of PS Vita Price drop. I mean yeah I would like a PS Vita price drop, but lets have the PS4 announcement too.[/QUOTE]

I really hope it is just this Sony needs to give a little trollin.

46,56,65 in NEW Playstation 3D Tv
Home
4D
a trophy update for all Ps3 & psn games

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']You have to really think about the breadth and depth of the library available to PCs now and apply that to a set-top box: Each and every past console or computer or calculator or whatever with an emulator has their libraries playable on a Steambox. Any OS which users can cram onto a PC or emulate or virtualize has their libraries playable on a Steambox.

Now consider that both the Durango and the Orbis are converging towards more standardized PC architectures and you can even envision a time when those games are playable on some future Steambox. (because it's a friggin PC afterall)

A Steambox, in the right hands, will be able to play most of the games ever made. It's just going to take some time, effort, and knowhow and that's exactly what PC users are known for. (and those more complex operations eventually get made into very simplistic ones for the users who lack the technical prowess)

With a Sony console you can play in the Sony ecosystem, with a Microsoft console you can play in the Microsoft ecosystem, and with a Nintendo console you can play in the Nintendo ecosystem but only with a Steambox can you tap-into all of the previously mentioned ecosystems plus a ton of others. It's baffling, for me, to think of how any closed walled-garden console maker even begins to compete with that.[/QUOTE]

I think the biggest problem Steam will have is name recognition and incidental brand loyalty.
- PC users who currently use Steam as their mainstay gaming platform will likely have no need for a Steambox without some incentive (as their PC is already plenty rad for most everything on Steam that they care about and they can just swap video cards/ram/procs/whatever to go upwards if need be).
- People who are aware of the allure of Steam's convenience and reasonable pricing but don't have a PC that can hang with what they want to play could be convinced, but the job will be to convince why a Steambox is superior to the Sony/MS options (e.g. the vast library of games)
- Console gamers who just don't ever play games on the PC (which I would assume is many or most casual/regular console gamers) may or may not care what 'a Steambox' is, but likely can't fathom why they would want to switch from their 360/720/PS4/bleh where all their games/friends are currently.

Certainly not saying they can't overcome it, just looks like a bit of a mountain. I think Ouya faces a similar problem sadly (just a different segment of the market) - at least with Steam it makes more sense since it can be a pain in the ass to build a good gaming PC where as Ouya seems to be a solution in search of a market.

I'm just kinda looking ahead to when builders/porters/compilers have in their hands a Valve-driven build of linux which they can add to and customize.

Putting together custom linux distros is already easy and building them for targeted fixed hardware helps streamline that process even further. It'll eventually be: "Use this disc/image which auto-boots/installs and now your stock Steambox can play tons of other systems' games."

For novices it'll simply be a firmware upgrade on a disc and that's when things get blown wide open.

[quote name='finsfan0210']Come on guys we all know this press conference is gonna be for Wonderbook DLC.[/QUOTE]

i would put 500 bucks on that bet lol

i recent just got a gaming pc and i admit steam at this point might be the best service in gaming industr. If live and psn had the deals steam has alot for the amazing prices they would be close but in my mind steam when it comes to deals is amazing.

Hey can anyone do me like the biggest favor?

I unfortunately work 4-12am on Wednesday, I just got the job and I already called in sick last week, so I'm in no position to take the day off. I'm wondering if anybody can help me out by PM'ing me a replay video of the conference (if there is one). I'd really like to watch it spoiler-free, as I'm afraid if I go to IGN, or the Playstation Blog to watch the replay, that will see game announcements of the event.

So if anybody can help me out, that would be soooo great!! I'd appreciate it! I am really excited for this event!

The price of Sony's PlayStation Vita has officially been slashed in Japan. i swear if sony does all this hype to announce a ps vita price drop or a redesign and something about ps3 i will flip lol.

[quote name='diplo']Hey can anyone do me like the biggest favor?

I unfortunately work 4-12am on Wednesday, I just got the job and I already called in sick last week, so I'm in no position to take the day off. I'm wondering if anybody can help me out by PM'ing me a replay video of the conference (if there is one). I'd really like to watch it spoiler-free, as I'm afraid if I go to IGN, or the Playstation Blog to watch the replay, that will see game announcements of the event.

So if anybody can help me out, that would be soooo great!! I'd appreciate it! I am really excited for this event![/QUOTE]

im sure sony will put it onto their youtube or someone else will.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']im sure sony will put it onto their youtube or someone else will.[/QUOTE]

i think they will too. but i think it'll be impossible to go on their youtube page without seeing trailers for other games announced there too. i'd like to watch it spoiler free.

if anyone can pm me the youtube link or any other video link on wednesday, it would be super appreciated! :)

"I have seen the future and it doesn't work."
Robert Fulford

It's a true quote. It's just a joke, I'm excited to see what Sony has to show us.

[quote name='Capocci 007']$400 is my threshold for consoles. I'll never pay more.[/QUOTE]

I agree over $400 is too much. The only way I could see it being over $400 if it's just for the first 3 to 4 months to get all the holiday sales and then drop the price.

[quote name='Indiana']I agree over $400 is too much. The only way I could see it being over $400 if it's just for the first 3 to 4 months to get all the holiday sales and then drop the price.[/QUOTE]
and piss off all the early adopters, no way. to quick to drop the price.

[quote name='bjstucker']I really hope it is just this Sony needs to give a little trollin.[/QUOTE] To really troll, announce a Vita Price drop, new PS Home features and a new PS Move game that is as crazy as Wonderbook and mention nothing else :lol:.

I hope to see more Vita information though. I kinda want one for Japanese games but until they get a big library, I need to pass.

Thinking about it, this buy the console for $199 with a 2 year PS+ sub is actually intriguing. If PS+ stays the way it is, and well if it comes out to like an extra $40-50 with two years of PS+ it might actually be a viable option to people on a budget.

I think they will announce the PS4 bc all the industry insiders seem to know it but cannot confirm, still this all could be for a new product entirely. Like a new larger 3D Playstation TV that has a PS3 built into it...I'd so buy that.

I'm honestly excited to see what it is, how theatrically they go about announcing it, and how much detail is shown. Who really gives a shart about a PS4 announcement unless games and price are shown?

I think someone in this thread was asking about a spoiler free announcement link? I'm in the same boat and (yet again!) will have to miss the announcement when it's live.

Here's a spoiler free announcement thread at Neogaf though

I'm just going to bookmark that and not look at anything else until after I've watched the whole thing.

I would be surprised if they announced release date and pricing tomorrow. My guess is E3 for that. Part of me hopes that they announce the backwards compatibility situation first and foremost, even before they show the damn thing. BC always seems to be the controversial topic when it comes to new consoles these days.

[quote name='Abear21']I think they will announce the PS4 bc all the industry insiders seem to know it but cannot confirm, still this all could be for a new product entirely. Like a new larger 3D Playstation TV that has a PS3 built into it...I'd so buy that.

I'm honestly excited to see what it is, how theatrically they go about announcing it, and how much detail is shown. Who really gives a shart about a PS4 announcement unless games and price are shown?[/QUOTE]

There's really no mystery, it is the PS4 announcement. I have no clue how much detail they'll go into but I think they'll be showing some games but I wouldn't bet on a price being revealed this early.

If you look at the Vita announcement I think it was mostly showing off the system itself and some of the specs hardware wise but no price or specific release date were revealed.

Edit: I still don't understand why so many people give a damn about backwards compatibility. Do you really go back and play your PS2/PS1 games now? Granted I know there are people that do actually do this but it seems like they'd be a large minority. I've tried it before and for me it just ruins the memory. I try to play an old ass game and I wonder why I ever found it so great to begin with. For me it's better if I just have the memory of it from back then and not what it actually is today.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']You have to really think about the breadth and depth of the library available to PCs now and apply that to a set-top box: Each and every past console or computer or calculator or whatever with an emulator has their libraries playable on a Steambox. Any OS which users can cram onto a PC or emulate or virtualize has their libraries playable on a Steambox.

With a Sony console you can play in the Sony ecosystem, with a Microsoft console you can play in the Microsoft ecosystem, and with a Nintendo console you can play in the Nintendo ecosystem but only with a Steambox can you tap-into all of the previously mentioned ecosystems plus a ton of others. It's baffling, for me, to think of how any closed walled-garden console maker even begins to compete with that.[/QUOTE]

So Steam has Mario and the other many exclusives that sell tons? I don't see Soccer Mom buying a Steambox at Walmart, the market is more niche than you think it is.

Everyone already has a PC or laptop to use Steam. They can already find a way to hook it up to a TV. The trick is if Steambox is CHEAP, then it will be viable. Anything over $100-150, why not just put that towards a PC upgrade or a console you don't have, so you have access to more exclusives. I'm hoping it will be more of a "Streambox", were it isn't a flat-out mini-PC, but instead can stream any game from your Steam library. No downloads/installs necessary. Would fix the patching/drivers issues.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Edit: I still don't understand why so many people give a damn about backwards compatibility. Do you really go back and play your PS2/PS1 games now? Granted I know there are people that do actually do this but it seems like they'd be a large minority. I've tried it before and for me it just ruins the memory. I try to play an old ass game and I wonder why I ever found it so great to begin with. For me it's better if I just have the memory of it from back then and not what it actually is today.[/QUOTE]

Backwards compatibility is a huge issue, more so this next gen because of digital. How long will the old digital front last? I can hook up my SNES anytime and it will work, but a digital game from an old unsupported/ditched service? Why buy anything digital on PS4/NextBox if they'll just drop it in a few years? Steam has it down, this is old news, and if "next gen" says they can't, that isn't very reassuring going into a new gen.

Personally, it's more of a "How many systems do I have to hook up to my TV?" for me. I have a huge backlog of current gen games, I'll be playing those for quite a long time into next gen. Why add an expensive console with no games to my buy list? People are still complaining about how there are no games for the WiiU, and there have only been "announcements" not release dates for upcoming games. Lucky the WiiU has BC and you can see some Wii games in HD.

I must be in the minority too, because I had to hook up my PS2 to play Tales of the Abyss recently. It's pretty annoying to have a wired controller, old TV, memory cards, etc. Wished I could have just popped it into my PS3 Slim.

^ Ah I see your points particularly with the digital crap. It's the main reason I really do not like digital at the moment. However I'm still hoping they'll work out the gameflix gaikai thing and we'll have a huge library of games at any time and forever. It'll happen I think, it's just a matter of time. I realize that for the immediate future though that probably doesn't help much.

Looks like Sony Santa Monica will have a reveal at the Meeting. They tweeted:
What does our future hold for tomorrow? We heard they may open Pandora's Box (again) live on stage, That would be AWESOME!

I want new IPs!

Last edited by a moderator:
I trust Nintendo more about carrying over my purchases from system to system than I do Sony and Microsoft. And that's odd to say considering how "behind the times" they are in comparison.

Microsoft should be criticized to hell and back if they drop digital purchases from Nextbox since they started the mass delivery of that type of stuff (Games on Demand) saying that you'd be able to "keep your games forever." Now that's not looking like a possibility anymore, especially when they might pull 360 servers offline like they did for Xbox 1. It's a damning proposition from them to say 'thanks for buying these, but they're completely worthless now.' Sony gets no flack from me either, especially with that Gaikai stuff floating around, which sounds horrible.

And just from all the things I've heard and seen about Nextbox and PS4, I'm honestly teetering on not giving a shit. I'm planning on taking that money and building a gaming PC to avoid all of that crap, especially from Microsoft.

I know I'm late as hell, but I read a report saying that Sony would allow Microsoft to make the first move when it came to announcements.

bread's done
Back