PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I hope Sony brings out the big guns today. Not everything, but at least enough meat to warrant the hype train that they have built. Some gameplay footage of IPs and a preview of the system's interface and controller would be fantastic. Not expecting a price point on the system but that would be a nice bonus.

I'm excited to see what they have to bring to the table as today's announcement could lay the foundation for PlayStation gaming for the next 5-10 years.

Edit: Based on the latest video they put out I wonder if they will show footage of a new Gran Turismo and new footage of The Last Guardian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AKi7qlDdXxs

New PS4 controller's key use discovered:

h971FCF9E

[quote name='ShockandAww']
Edit: I still don't understand why so many people give a damn about backwards compatibility. Do you really go back and play your PS2/PS1 games now? Granted I know there are people that do actually do this but it seems like they'd be a large minority. I've tried it before and for me it just ruins the memory. I try to play an old ass game and I wonder why I ever found it so great to begin with. For me it's better if I just have the memory of it from back then and not what it actually is today.[/QUOTE]

With what is assumed to be a common PSN account that will go with you to the next Playstation, I can see BC being more of an issue. The fact that I have re-bought digital copies PS1 and PS22 games in addition to all the digital PS3 games I have mean I absolutely want those to move forward with my PSN account, since that's the only way I can assume continued/indefinite access to them.

[quote name='Snake2715']and piss off all the early adopters, no way. to quick to drop the price.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it will piss off the early adopters but Sony did that with the PS3 it was $599 at launch and in July they cut the price by $100. So 7 months rather than 4.

I guess it really depends on how much of a shortage in hardware will they have. The PS3 only had 400,000 units in the US according to Wikipedia.

[quote name='Cromzz']I know I'm late as hell, but I read a report saying that Sony would allow Microsoft to make the first move when it came to announcements.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think Sony said that less than a week before announcing this meeting :)

They lied.

One reason I'd want BC is because I have a lot of PS3 games to play yet, and I don't really need another box on the TV stand. Plus I only have 2 HDMI ports, and they are both being used (PS3 and Xbox 360). Yeah, I can get a switcher, but that's not ideal. I'd rather just have a PS4 that plays PS3 games too. Especially since I'm not expecting anything ground breakingly better in graphics with the PS4. It's going to be an incremental improvement, not like going from SD to HD.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']
Personally, it's more of a "How many systems do I have to hook up to my TV?" for me. I have a huge backlog of current gen games, I'll be playing those for quite a long time into next gen. Why add an expensive console with no games to my buy list? People are still complaining about how there are no games for the WiiU, and there have only been "announcements" not release dates for upcoming games. Lucky the WiiU has BC and you can see some Wii games in HD.
[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. I stupidly grabbed a Wii and PS3 when locked out of my Xbox live account last fall/winter due to hacking and thus have a decent backlog now.

So I have no interest in buying a next gen console anytime soon. If I get one at all it will be after the first or second price drop when I'm done with my backlog and there are enough games out to justify a purchase--and to be able to make an informed decision on which console to go with as I'll definitely only get one (at most) next gen.

I always lean X-box as that's just what all my friends and family have. But I don't game online that much any more so that's less of a factor than in the past and it will come more down to games--MS still has a slight edge there as I like Halo and Gears of War a lot more than any Sony first part stuff. But other wise I'm in full wait and see a year or two down the road mode.

[quote name='waldo21212']New PS4 controller's key use discovered:

h971FCF9E
[/QUOTE]
I really love the internet sometimes. :lol:

[quote name='Kazaganthi']So Steam has Mario and the other many exclusives that sell tons?l[/QUOTE]

My PC can play Mario games from arcade to NES to Wii so, yes, an eventual Steambox will absolutely have Mario.

But yes your point is entirely valid. I just think that gamers, even the fully novice ones, will eventually understand that only one of the new set-top boxes allows for decades worth of games.

I don't see that at all. The average gamer will just by the successor to the system(s) they enjoyed this generation and be done with it. Most people don't care about playing old games or having a console supported for a decade plus. They just want to play the current AAA games and franchises like CoD, Madden and want the simplicity of consoles--not dealing with running emulators on a box that's basically a HTPC.

the only ps2 games ive played on my ps3 where ones that were rereleased in hd. i couldnt care less about BC.

i have a shit ton of old nes, snes and sega games. i never hook any of that shit up. so much easier just to play the ROMS. should sell the carts on ebay while i can still get money for them.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm in the same boat. I stupidly grabbed a Wii and PS3 when locked out of my Xbox live account last fall/winter due to hacking and thus have a decent backlog now.

So I have no interest in buying a next gen console anytime soon. If I get one at all it will be after the first or second price drop when I'm done with my backlog and there are enough games out to justify a purchase--and to be able to make an informed decision on which console to go with as I'll definitely only get one (at most) next gen.

I always lean X-box as that's just what all my friends and family have. But I don't game online that much any more so that's less of a factor than in the past and it will come more down to games--MS still has a slight edge there as I like Halo and Gears of War a lot more than any Sony first part stuff. But other wise I'm in full wait and see a year or two down the road mode.[/QUOTE]

lol nice one to admit you are a hacker. As a gamer all my life that has enjoyed games i think the hackers are the worst gamers in this world.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't see that at all. The average gamer will just by the successor to the system(s) they enjoyed this generation and be done with it. Most people don't care about playing old games or having a console supported for a decade plus. They just want to play the current AAA games and franchises like CoD, Madden and want the simplicity of consoles--not dealing with running emulators on a box that's basically a HTPC.[/QUOTE]

some of the better games till this day are from systems 10-20 years ago. Sadly this day and age game companys care more about online game play that having amazing single player story which was not the cast 10-20 years ago. I sitll enjoy playing nes and sness games.

another thing is that for the first year or 2 of the new systems alot of games franchises people care about will still be made for ps3 and 360 so i doudt everyone will jump on the bandwagon right away unlike when ps3 and 360 came out. In my mind the new systems are not that giant of a leap compared to how it was with ps2 to ps3 and xbox to 360. I for one just got a new gaming pc which is already more powerful then ps4 and next xbox so no need for me to upgrade till at least late 2014 once the exlusive major games are out for those systems.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']lol nice one to admit you are a hacker. As a gamer all my life that has enjoyed games i think the hackers are the worst gamers in this world.[/QUOTE]

Not at all. My account got hacked and migrated to Russia and my points spent. Took MS months to resolve it. See my CAG blog for details about the experience. I'm not tech savvy at all, much less a hacker! :D

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']some of the better games till this day are from systems 10-20 years ago. Sadly this day and age game companys care more about online game play that having amazing single player story which was not the cast 10-20 years ago. I sitll enjoy playing nes and sness games.[/QUOTE]

I do too, though I don't play them anymore really as I can't even find time/interest to keep up with current games. I was just saying the average Joe just cares about playing the latest Halo, CoD, Madden etc. If the Steambox sales at all, it won't be because people are wanting to play old games as people can already easily do that on PCs for free, or pay to do so on the Wii Virtual Console, or PSN/XBLA etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't see that at all. The average gamer will just by the successor to the system(s) they enjoyed this generation and be done with it. Most people don't care about playing old games or having a console supported for a decade plus. They just want to play the current AAA games and franchises like CoD, Madden and want the simplicity of consoles--not dealing with running emulators on a box that's basically a HTPC.[/QUOTE]

I would agree. At the most I can see them doing what Sony did with the PS3. Oh we put the PS3 Cell processor in the PS4. People run out and buy the PS4 for $599. New price drop to $499 in 6 months... oh we removed the Cell processor no more backwards compatibility. Majority of customers run out and buy new console at $100 less and do not care about the backwards compatibility. The other option is do everything in emulation and have only about half of the games work properly.

I can't see the Steambox as being able to play PS4 and Xbox 3 games. You might be able to hack that box but it's not going to be a full pc that you can customize at will.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Is the ign stream working for anybody else? Blank for me[/QUOTE]

I see the video now but it's just 2 people talking about random rumours.

[quote name='Indiana']I see the video now but it's just 2 people talking about random rumours.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess the actual event doesn't start for another hour.

I have to say, I know nothing of the new console but I know damn well I'll be preordering as soon as preorders open and pick it up day one. Call me a sucker, but I'm always an early adopter for home consoles.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Yeah, I guess the actual event doesn't start for another hour.

I have to say, I know nothing of the new console but I know damn well I'll be preordering as soon as preorders open and pick it up day one. Call me a sucker, but I'm always an early adopter for home consoles.[/QUOTE]
Same with me, especially with Sony since they seem to strip their consoles of their goodies as time goes on.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Yeah, I guess the actual event doesn't start for another hour.

I have to say, I know nothing of the new console but I know damn well I'll be preordering as soon as preorders open and pick it up day one. Call me a sucker, but I'm always an early adopter for home consoles.[/QUOTE]

Unless I they blow me away with some new games and $399, I'm holding off. I'm really looking to just focus on my Wii-U and backlog for other systems for the next couple years.

[quote name='Josh5890']Unless I they blow me away with some new games and $399, I'm holding off. I'm really looking to just focus on my Wii-U and backlog for other systems for the next couple years.[/QUOTE]

I always tell myself that too when new consoles come along, but then I go out and buy the damn thing at launch. :lol:

[quote name='KillerRamen']I always tell myself that too when new consoles come along, but then I go out and buy the damn thing at launch. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Although I have held off on the Vita and I was waiting for that for years. I would get a Vita if the future looked brighter but I don't see many upcoming games at all.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']Which streams are you guys watching?[/QUOTE]

IGN. If G4 was still alive I would've watched there:cry:

I found it quite hilarious that the original web link on the PS3 XMB led to a streaming page that the PS3 browser couldn't handle, plus PSHome is "closed for essential maintenance". They fixed the weblink to a PS3-specific stream so it's working now. Still, jesus fuck Sony.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I always tell myself that too when new consoles come along, but then I go out and buy the damn thing at launch. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I held off this gen other than getting a Wii at launch (which was a mistake).

I'll do the same next time. It was ok to buy at launch when consoles were $200 or so, but not worth it for me at the $400+ price this past gen and this next go around. I just don't game enough to justify paying that much, and sense I don't game online much anymore there's no rush to play games around launch either.

So I'll wait for a price drop or two and save money on both the console and have a nice library of cheap games to choose from. Have plenty of 360 and PS3 and Wii stuff to get around to for the next couple of years.

Here's a dumb, odd-ball question:

What if Sony partnered/joined forces with another company for this next-gen console? And if they did, who do you think would make the biggest impact?

I feel weird saying this but the first company that comes to mind is Sega.

The twitch stream seems to work the best for me and the giantbomb stream but I'm afraid they will get a bit too chatty for my taste (and the new website might crash and burn.)

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']

What if Sony partnered/joined forces with another company for this next-gen console? And if they did, who do you think would make the biggest impact?

[/QUOTE]
PlayStation and steam...

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']

[/QUOTE]
PlayStation and steam...

[quote name='dmaul1114']I held off this gen other than getting a Wii at launch (which was a mistake).

I'll do the same next time. It was ok to buy at launch when consoles were $200 or so, but not worth it for me at the $400+ price this past gen and this next go around. I just don't game enough to justify paying that much, and sense I don't game online much anymore there's no rush to play games around launch either.

So I'll wait for a price drop or two and save money on both the console and have a nice library of cheap games to choose from. Have plenty of 360 and PS3 and Wii stuff to get around to for the next couple of years.[/QUOTE]

It is usually smarter to hold off on buying at launch, but I have a problem doing that. Buying a new console at launch is more of an emotional purchase more than anything. I got my Xbox 360 a few months after launch, I got my PS3 at launch and I picked up the Wii at launch as well.

I did buy a launch Wii U this time around mainly because I have always had a soft spot for Nintendo. I think it's really going to depend on what Sony/Microsoft show off which will determine whether or not I pick one of these at launch since there's no way I could possibly buy them both.

I'm getting an OUYA at launch as well, but for $99 it was more of an impulse buy. :lol:

...It beings! :whee:

bread's done
Back