PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='4thHorseman']It would make sense, despite what some people think. The last we heard about this game was...a little over a year ago and that was because of Ueda's departure. I wouldn't be shocked if it comes out on PS3 (since that's what it has mainly been developed for) but also have used the time to make it at least look better for the PS4.[/QUOTE]

It would also be a great way to get people to not hesitate and instead buy the PS4 at launch

[quote name='KillerRamen']I could totally see The Last Guardian becoming a launch game for the PS4. This wouldn't be the first time a console maker did something like this.[/QUOTE]
I've very often wondered if this was the reason for the delays because the game looked 'done' so very long ago. It would also explain why he left the project because his role was for the most part done and it would be only be a matter of overseeing the transition on a technical level. While it wouldn't be a huge system seller since the genre is very niche, it would be ironic considering ICO was a PS2 launch title. ;)[quote name='highoffcoffee496']It would also be a great way to get people to not hesitate and instead buy the PS4 at launch[/QUOTE]
For me it would, but then again I was going to anyway price pending.

[quote name='Jodou']I've very often wondered if this was the reason for the delays because the game looked 'done' so very long ago. It would also explain why he left the project because his role was for the most part done and it would be only be a matter of overseeing the transition on a technical level. While it wouldn't be a huge system seller since the genre is very niche, it would be ironic considering ICO was a PS2 launch title. ;)

For me it would, but then again I was going to anyway price pending.[/QUOTE]

It might not be the system seller, but it could definitely be an exhibition piece to show what the PS4 can do. Everyone already knows that the next gen Madden, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, GTA, ect are going to be made for both the next Xbox and the PS4, but this could be something to help give them a bit of an edge.

Yeah, I know I'm getting a PS4 (and the next Xbox) as well. Right now it's a matter of price and which one I'm going to get first.

The Last Guardian could definitely be that title that pushes me over the edge.

...Also, since we're talking about games that move platforms, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Final Fantasy Versus moves over to the PS4. We haven't really heard much about it for quite some time.

[quote name='Jodou'] While it wouldn't be a huge system seller since the genre is very niche, it would be ironic considering ICO was a PS2 launch title. ;)[/QUOTE]

No it wasn't.

Shuhei Yoshida retweeted that TLG tweet. It's definitely coming for PS4. Now the question is, will it be a launch title? It's seeming like it may very well be. Or at least a launch window title.

I'll buy the PS4 day one, used games or no used games if it's a launch day title.

Am I the only one who's totally disinterested and not enthusiastic about the next gen? I have such a backlog and so little time to play games these days that my PS3 could last me for another 4-5 years.

The cost of current systems ($200-300) also seems too high to be retiring them... every other gen, systems can be had for ~$100 around the time a platform is being phased out. This concerns me that Sony and MS are pushing the industry into a much higher cost-range, both for the end user and game development as a whole.

[quote name='johnnypark']Am I the only one who's totally disinterested and not enthusiastic about the next gen? I have such a backlog and so little time to play games these days that my PS3 could last me for another 4-5 years.

The cost of current systems ($200-300) also seems too high to be retiring them... every other gen, systems can be had for ~$100 around the time a platform is being phased out. This concerns me that Sony and MS are pushing the industry into a much higher cost-range, both for the end user and game development as a whole.[/QUOTE]

I am too for the same reasons, I'll probably get in on next gen but not sure if I'll be in the 3 console category this gen, might try to stick to one. I'll probably wait longer this gen before diving in too.

[quote name='johnnypark']Am I the only one who's totally disinterested and not enthusiastic about the next gen? I have such a backlog and so little time to play games these days that my PS3 could last me for another 4-5 years.[/QUOTE]

I think this at the end of every generation... Then I end up with all the consoles and a ton of games anyway.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Shuhei Yoshida retweeted that TLG tweet. It's definitely coming for PS4. Now the question is, will it be a launch title? It's seeming like it may very well be. Or at least a launch window title.

I'll buy the PS4 day one, used games or no used games if it's a launch day title.[/QUOTE]

Judging by your avatar pic I'm sure your just as stoked, if not more for the Last Guardian like I am :bouncy::whee:

[quote name='johnnypark']Am I the only one who's totally disinterested and not enthusiastic about the next gen? I have such a backlog and so little time to play games these days that my PS3 could last me for another 4-5 years.

The cost of current systems ($200-300) also seems too high to be retiring them... every other gen, systems can be had for ~$100 around the time a platform is being phased out. This concerns me that Sony and MS are pushing the industry into a much higher cost-range, both for the end user and game development as a whole.[/QUOTE]

Nope, I'm in the same boat.

However, if you listen to what the big publishers are saying, the next gen can't come soon enough. I think they are looking for it to boost sales, never mind that declining sales are in at least part to a sluggish economy. I'm sure there is some sales decline due to lost interest in current gen for the "average" person who may only buy 2-3 games per year, but I don't see the next gen consoles being a cure all.

With that said, I'm still curious to see what Sony comes out with, and I'll probably end up buying it at some point in time.

which another reason why i don't think we see next gen systems this year. Ps2 was like 120 bucks when ps3 came out. Ps3 JUst came out with a new bundle and another one for 350 is coming out in april. If ps4 is announced on the 20th and coming out in like 7 months why would anyone spend 350 on a new ps3 when ps4 is out in 7 months

[quote name='waldo21212']Nope, I'm in the same boat.

However, if you listen to what the big publishers are saying, the next gen can't come soon enough. I think they are looking for it to boost sales, never mind that declining sales are in at least part to a sluggish economy. I'm sure there is some sales decline due to lost interest in current gen for the "average" person who may only buy 2-3 games per year, but I don't see the next gen consoles being a cure all.

With that said, I'm still curious to see what Sony comes out with, and I'll probably end up buying it at some point in time.[/QUOTE]

game makers on other hand are looking forward to next gen because they have said for years they have pretty much pushed the limit on current gen.

For me ps4 and next xbox is auto buy. Seeing i have like 3 years worth of xbox live in cards first system will have to be xbox. Unless ps4 launches with a uncharted game it will not be in my hands for awhile.

[quote name='KillerRamen']It might not be the system seller, but it could definitely be an exhibition piece to show what the PS4 can do. Everyone already knows that the next gen Madden, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, GTA, ect are going to be made for both the next Xbox and the PS4, but this could be something to help give them a bit of an edge.

Yeah, I know I'm getting a PS4 (and the next Xbox) as well. Right now it's a matter of price and which one I'm going to get first.

The Last Guardian could definitely be that title that pushes me over the edge.

...Also, since we're talking about games that move platforms, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Final Fantasy Versus moves over to the PS4. We haven't really heard much about it for quite some time.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Rockstar already confirmed GTAV will not be part of the next gen.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']For me ps4 and next xbox is auto buy. Seeing i have like 3 years worth of xbox live in cards first system will have to be xbox. Unless ps4 launches with a uncharted game it will not be in my hands for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Im surprised anyone feels this way, although once we have concrete details my opinion might change. Given the initial cost ($400ish before any games) and the weak first year of any launch, at this point I couldn't be more disinterested.

Oddly enough, this is probably the first time in my life (working full time, out of college) where I could afford to buy a system at launch without much fanfare, and I would prefer the PS3 go for another 2-3 years.

My PS3 is my main gaming console (my Vita is my main handheld). I originally started with the 360 by they way. For me, the PS3 is dated at this point. The lack of voice chat outside of games, the lagginess of the XMB, the 720p or less games with only 30 FPS...it all adds up and I'm definitely ready for a new console...

IF...it is the complete package;

• Smooth interface at all times
  • Voice chat at all times
  • 1080p/60fps on ALL games
  • Eyetoy 2.0 included
  • Multiplayer is still free
  • Netflix/Hulu/Crunchyroll/NHL/etc are launch-window apps
  • $450 or less
Backwards compatibility would be nice, but I just don't see it happening, which I'm OK with. I can either keep my PS3 for BC or trade it in towards a PS4. We'll see. I'm inclined to keep it and move it to the bedroom for blu-ray capabilities and streaming (so we can get rid of our gen 1 Roku).

[quote name='johnnypark']Oddly enough, this is probably the first time in my life (working full time, out of college) where I could afford to buy a system at launch without much fanfare, and I would prefer the PS3 go for another 2-3 years.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. And while I'm not in a rush to go out and grab this, I would still like to get one at launch depending on the features/games.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Wow. Not feeling it...[/QUOTE]

I actually like it. It's not a drastic departure from what we currently have, but it's integrating new features that EVERY developer can take advantage of. I also like that it has what appears to either be a speaker of a microphone, again, something that can be utilized by every developer because it will be bundled.

That's what I felt the MOVE, while...interesting in concept, was a retail failure because it was an additional purchase. Assuming the MOVE-like glow on the controller is for MOVE, I believe we can expect the Eyetoy 2.0 to be bundled, which is another bonus. I just hope it's HD (720p min) so that it can actually track properly (and do proper video chat).

I really don't have interest in next gen as well at this time.

The only reason I purchased a Wii U is because they are offering an experience that I cannot currently get any other place (Nintendo 1st party titles in HD and online).

I can get the HD experience with Sony and MS through my PS3 and 360 and have a huge backlog that will give me my fix for both companies.

Unless something truly innovative is announced, I don't plan on buying a "next gen" console for the next couple of years. For me it is not worth hundreds of dollars to play the next generation if it is is only going to be a minor graphical upgrade (needs to be a SD to HD type of upgrade). I'll reserve my final judgement until E3 but like you I'm not really that hyped for the next generation.

[quote name='SynGamer']I actually like it. It's not a drastic departure from what we currently have, but it's integrating new features that EVERY developer can take advantage of. I also like that it has what appears to either be a speaker of a microphone, again, something that can be utilized by every developer because it will be bundled.

That's what I felt the MOVE, while...interesting in concept, was a retail failure because it was an additional purchase. Assuming the MOVE-like glow on the controller is for MOVE, I believe we can expect the Eyetoy 2.0 to be bundled, which is another bonus. I just hope it's HD (720p min) so that it can actually track properly (and do proper video chat).[/QUOTE]

The things that bother me are the analog sticks (more look than potential feel), the controller looks like it may be a tad thicker, and if thats a touchpad then it looks too tiny to really do any good (but im not creative to see its potential possibly).

Really small things, but enough to bug me.

I'm interested in knowing what the price point for the new controller will be. No way it's near $50. Also curious to know if this controller will be an optional or deluxe model and not the consoles standard controller. If it is the standard, then I think it's safe to assume that the Eye 2.0 will be bundled/built-in with the new console.

[quote name='PimpLimp']I'm interested in knowing what the price point for the new controller will be. No way it's near $50. Also curious to know if this controller will be an optional or deluxe model and not the consoles standard controller. If it is the standard, then I think it's safe to assume that the Eye 2.0 will be bundled/built-in with the new console.[/QUOTE]
The ouya controller is the same thing and it is $50...

[quote name='htz']The ouya controller is the same thing and it is $50...[/QUOTE]Oh really? Didn't know the Ouya controller had built-in Move functionality and a built-in speaker/microphone as well. :roll:

I am really sick of the PS controllers having the absolute worst directional pad in existence.
The PS4 looks to be the exact same in that regard.
Also, I hate vibration. I actually use my oldschool sixaxis ps3 controllers over the dualshocks. Lighter and dont have to bother with vibration settings for every game I play.

At least it isnt the boomerang controllers.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']I am really sick of the PS controllers having the absolute worst directional pad in existence.
The PS4 looks to be the exact same in that regard.
Also, I hate vibration. I actually use my oldschool sixaxis ps3 controllers over the dualshocks. Lighter and dont have to bother with vibration settings for every game I play.

At least it isnt the boomerang controllers.[/QUOTE]

can't you turn vibration off in the controller menu rather than in each game. also, isn't the 360 known for the worst d-pad? never heard a complaint about Sonys dpad.

[quote name='shadowkast']can't you turn vibration off in the controller menu rather than in each game. also, isn't the 360 known for the worst d-pad? never heard a complaint about Sonys dpad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not sure if this dude ever used a 360 controller before because their d-pad is an absolute joke compared to the DS3. Both the Vita and DS3 have top notch d-pads in my book.

I know it's a prototype, but I can't imagine the final product looking very nice or feeling very comfortable based off that design. I hope to god they stay with the old D-pad design.

I also don't get what the tiny ass touch pad area could possible be used for, if that's what it's supposedly ends up being. It honestly looks more like an old LED display (like the ones used in digital clocks).

[quote name='shadowkast']can't you turn vibration off in the controller menu rather than in each game. also, isn't the 360 known for the worst d-pad? never heard a complaint about Sonys dpad.[/QUOTE]

most 360 games don't use dpad

I am not sure about that. It has been a while since I used the dualshock , I stocked up on some sixaxis controllers and never use dualshock on PS3.

A better design would be to use the snes d pad.

As for the 360, One of the main reasons I don't own a 360 is because of the controller it uses. Other reasons are no blu,failure rates, and xbox live costs.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']I am not sure about that. It has been a while since I used the dualshock , I stocked up on some sixaxis controllers and never use dualshock on PS3.

A better design would be to use the snes d pad.

As for the 360, One of the main reasons I don't own a 360 is because of the controller it uses. Other reasons are no blu,failure rates, and xbox live costs.[/QUOTE]

you really cry that 360 has no blu ray it's not big deal, xbox failure rates since slim came out in 2010 has been very low. xbox live costs 60 bucks a year most of the time you can get it for 40 bucks a year. OMG 40 bucks a year that brakes the bank.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']you really cry that 360 has no blu ray it's not big deal, xbox failure rates since slim came out in 2010 has been very low. xbox live costs 60 bucks a year most of the time you can get it for 40 bucks a year. OMG 40 bucks a year that brakes the bank.[/QUOTE]

The problem isnt that Live breaks the bank, its that you are paying for a year long online pass (and not even for games but for shit like Netflix too). People complain about game online passes, but at least you arent paying more for it when you buy the game new. And the differences between psn and live arent big enough to warrant charging for it in the first place.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']you really cry that 360 has no blu ray it's not big deal, xbox failure rates since slim came out in 2010 has been very low. xbox live costs 60 bucks a year most of the time you can get it for 40 bucks a year. OMG 40 bucks a year that brakes the bank.[/QUOTE]

$40 a year for mediocre online AND the only way to access Netflix and other streaming service. No thanks.

Yeah, the actual price of Live Gold isn't the problem but rather the kinds of things which are pay-gated and the fact that Microsoft is basically the only one in the industry charging for access to those things let alone online multiplayer.

Microsoft and Sony have to be extremely careful with how they treat backwards compatibility, charging for online play, and what-all digital content carries over come next-gen considering Valve's plans.

A Steambox will have free online play and give me access to decades worth of PC games so one little misstep on either Microsoft or Sony's end will have me forsaking their brands in favor of putting that potential console money into my Steam library.

I've already stopped my digital console purchases until their plans are made clear as there is simply no sense in pissing away money in an ecosystem which doesn't respect my library going forward.

It's not about the price its about the principle. Microsoft charging gamers to to access services they're already paying for is the biggest money grab in gaming history and whoever pays for it in this day in age is fucking dumb.

[quote name='Gamer4life88']It's not about the price its about the principle. Microsoft charging gamers to to access services they're already paying for is the biggest money grab in gaming history and whoever pays for it in this day in age is fucking dumb.[/QUOTE]

And that's why I don't purchase games for my 360 anymore: I can't play online with a Silver account and I can't use it for media services with a Silver account so I've shifted all of my purchases, even single-player ones, over to other platforms. (you can't even see the player orbs in Fable II without a Gold account if memory serves)

My 360 is but a flat surface upon which I rest other systems' controllers and I've even gone so far as to change the video cables back to the default composite ones as I needed the component slot for something else. The principle of paying for the stuff locked behind Gold has caused me to completely abandon the system entirely.

There are simply far too many free alternatives to Live Gold in the living-room space these days. Hell, the damn TVs themselves have media services built-in now.

lets not forget that 90% of xbox players play halo/CoD. so here i am paying 50 dollars a year to see this message in every other game: (match not found/players not found). there are pc games that are 15 year old with more players

xbox live is just a better service compared to psn. Servers are more liable on xbox then psn and heck we have yet to have it shut down for a month like psn. Party chat on live is a HUGE deal and hope ps4 has it. I agree things like netflix and what not should be for silver member but really 40 bucks a year is nothing. I play ps3 only games on my ps3 and i use both services and thing xbox live is a overall better service

Considering the Vita has party chat, it's a given on PS4.

The XBL vs PSN argument is always going to come down to personal tastes and experiences. I stopped paying for Gold over a year ago, because I simply cannot justify the cost, even at the 35 or less it can easily be found for online every now and then. Back in the early days of PSN, XBL was certainly a much better service, but times have changed and that really isn't the case now. One would hope that Microsoft would be willing to make some compromises with XBL in the next gen, at least matching the competition with Silver (paying to use Netflix is absurd), but as long as people are willing to pay, things probably won't change.

i would not be shocked if ps4 has pay to do alot of things on their service. The price of ps4 is not cheap and no way they will mark it super high to make profit. I think ps plus was a test market on ps3 it has sold amazing well. I think sony might charge people to do things like game streaming and other things. Heck i would not be shocked if sony goes away from free online play.

[quote name='KrebStar']Considering the Vita has party chat, it's a given on PS4.

The XBL vs PSN argument is always going to come down to personal tastes and experiences. I stopped paying for Gold over a year ago, because I simply cannot justify the cost, even at the 35 or less it can easily be found for online every now and then. Back in the early days of PSN, XBL was certainly a much better service, but times have changed and that really isn't the case now. One would hope that Microsoft would be willing to make some compromises with XBL in the next gen, at least matching the competition with Silver (paying to use Netflix is absurd), but as long as people are willing to pay, things probably won't change.[/QUOTE]

how is psn service better ten xbl lol it's hackable and wen it's hacked it goes offline for over a month and i know for me i have 24 mb down internet and when i try to download something off of psn it's at least 2 or 3 times longer then it is on live thanks to live having better servers. I remember when socom came out it took me almost 40 mins to just download a game update for crying out loud

only games i play on ps3 is ps3 only games. I'm sorry but i tried to play fps on ps3 and NO ONE has mic's it's really really hard to win on games like that with out communication. As for xbox mics come with the system so pretty much everyone has access to one. Sony has to do a complete overhaul of psn for ps4 in my mind to compete wit the quality of servers and overall enjoyment of online gaming to keep up with xbox live.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']how is psn service better ten xbl lol it's hackable and wen it's hacked it goes offline for over a month and i know for me i have 24 mb down internet and when i try to download something off of psn it's at least 2 or 3 times longer then it is on live thanks to live having better servers. I remember when socom came out it took me almost 40 mins to just download a game update for crying out loud[/QUOTE]

Nowhere did I claim PSN is a better service, I stated that XBL is no longer the blatantly superior service. I also stated that the argument will come down to taste and experience, and you are sharing your own experience. Here are a few of my own.

• I am able to max out my connection's download speeds on both PSN and XBL, including marketplace downloads and game updates.
  • I have experienced down time on both services, and aside from that single PSN incident, those down times have never been of significant length for anyone with a relatively normal lifestyle.
  • My XBL account was hacked on two separate occasions through no fault of my own. Customer support was surprisingly unhelpful, but in the end, nothing of value was lost. No harm, no foul.
Based on my own experiences, I could certainly whip up a paragraph stating that I believe PSN to be better, and based on my experiences, it would be true. However, brand loyalty is not something I'm into. Considering your obvious bias toward Microsoft and the services they provide, it seems strange that you would spend so much time in a thread about the future of a competing product. Then again, it also seems strange that I would put forth the effort to make this post, so i guess we can file this under "lol internet".

bread's done
Back