PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Baffling how Microsoft could make the same fucking stupid mistake Sony did of assuming people would just accept whatever they put out there, just because they did good last time. I guess if nothing else, this will humble MS so they put a little more thought into their stuff for next time. If there is a next time. Definitely a nice job by Sony, milking that crowd reaction for all it was worth. Sends a message.

Baffling how Microsoft could make the same fucking stupid mistake Sony did of assuming people would just accept whatever they put out there, just because they did good last time. I guess if nothing else, this will humble MS so they put a little more thought into their stuff for next time. If there is a next time. Definitely a nice job by Sony, milking that crowd reaction for all it was worth. Sends a message.
or they could back track and change everything like making a 299 x 1 but be locked int oa two year contract for live

Needless to say, Sony wins this war. This is what, Round 3 between Sony and Microsoft I believe and this one will definitively go in favor of Sony. No DRM, no used game restrictions AND the lower price point were enough to seal it with ease. This isn't even a discussion of which is the superior value at this point, especially considering it appears that a focus point of Xbox lovers, games, is quickly shifting over to Sony as well or at least completely balanced out.

Microsoft shot themselves in the foot as I said and Sony capitalized on every mistake they made. The fact that you need a PS+ subscription for online is no big deal at all, with so much to offset it.

Just put in my pre-order as well. Was hesitant during most of the broadcast but in the end I saw enough justification to make the decision to get it as my Christmas present to myself this year. 

Needless to say, Sony wins this war. This is what, Round 3 between Sony and Microsoft I believe and this one will definitively go in favor of Sony. No DRM, no used game restrictions AND the lower price point were enough to seal it with ease. This isn't even a discussion of which is the superior value at this point, especially considering it appears that a focus point of Xbox lovers, games, is quickly shifting over to Sony as well or at least completely balanced out.

Microsoft shot themselves in the foot as I said and Sony capitalized on every mistake they made. The fact that you need a PS+ subscription for online is no big deal at all, with so much to offset it.

That moment was the closest we will ever come to seeing one major corporation break the others product, then flip the other off while shitting on said product.

It was glorious.

TimboSlice is pissed he's gotta pay 500 for his anti-used game always online cablebox, while the PS4 is the exact opposite. Don't even try that fanboy shit, I've had a 360 since 2008 and a PS3 since 2011. I just hate fanboys.
im not a fan boy i have had a playstation all the time since ps1 came out and same with xbox since first xbox came out

Very disappointed with Sony not talking much about the Vita.  Why are they bringing 3+ year old PSN games to the Vita?  Where are games from Capcom, Rockstar, or Square Enix for vita?  No price drop on the memory cards?  Every exclusive PSN game from now on should also come to vita.  

I think Microsoft's conference was better and like the Xbox One better than the PS4 but can't justify the added cost and hassle to go with the Xbox One at launch.  I'll be getting a PS4 at launch for sure and just keep my 360. 

TimboSlice is pissed he's gotta pay 500 for his anti-used game always online cablebox, while the PS4 is the exact opposite. Don't even try that fanboy shit, I've had a 360 since 2008 and a PS3 since 2011. I just hate fanboys.
im not a fan boy i have had a playstation all the time since ps1 came out and same with xbox since first xbox came out
And when did you start having such poor grammar?

And when did you start having such poor grammar?
He's also flip-flopped more than a politician.

My PS3 Super Slim doesn't want to load up quickly. Takes 5+ minutes to get to teh XMB.
Edit: I was loading up Black Ops 2 and then was waiting for it to load and it never did, I shutdown the system manually and now I don't want to play anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to buy a PS4 only next gen since Sony was always my platform of choice anyway. I bought a Wii/360/PS3 this gen and honestly enjoyed both 360/ps3, but wasn't a fan of the Wii.

I won't be able to afford all 3 next gen. I'll be lucky to be able to afford only one and that one will be a PS4.

I hate to admit even if PS4 was same price and required all the stuff the Xbox One did I would have still bought it only.

I wonder if the MS fans are still going to go that route or would they switch after this.

I do admit I would want Killer instinct and I love Gears Of War. I would assume they would make another Gears for Xbox One. That would be the only stuff I would miss.

Yeah, I guess I should stop talking about the PS4 in the Xbox One thread but that's just where I've been much of the time lately.  It never occurred to me there was a separate PS4 thread :lol:.

Yeah, I guess I should stop talking about the PS4 in the Xbox One thread but that's just where I've been much of the time lately. It never occurred to me there was a separate PS4 thread :lol:.
Must be nice, you can rub salt in the wound AND you dont have to worry about getting modded

Yeah, I guess I should stop talking about the PS4 in the Xbox One thread but that's just where I've been much of the time lately. It never occurred to me there was a separate PS4 thread :lol:.
Must be nice, you can rub salt in the wound AND you dont have to worry about getting modded
Hey, I'm not rubbing any salt. I will still get a One - just probably not right away. And pretty much nothing is going to get modded in the two discussion threads anyway except for vulgarity/personal attacks.

Well, I just pre-ordered a PS4 on Amazon.

Having a 24 hour check-in and used/borrowed games DRM is a HUGE slap in the face to us in the military where we don't have a personal internet connection on deployment and often trade games around when we are finished or want to play multiplayer on a friends console. Whats sad is that I have plenty of disposable income (especially on deployments) and would have gladly replaced my 360 with a XB1 on day one.

My major complaint with XBL was that I paid $50 a year for nothing but the ability to play online (and use Netflix). The sales were usually pathetic and we rarely got any sort of 'freebie' or major benefit. PS+ gives me so much more and I dont really mind it being behind a 'paywall' for online play (which I don't really play) on PS4 since I reap all the benefits of PS+.

Anyways, Sony definetly won this next generation for me unless MS makes drastic changes to their policies.

The Move is a fun controller, but I'm glad the new Playstation Eye is optional. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but I don't want it to be required and I would much rather spend that money on games.

The Move is a fun controller, but I'm glad the new Playstation Eye is optional. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but I don't want it to be required and I would much rather spend that money on games.
I do like that making it optional made the console price less but im hoping that it not being mandatory doesn't make forgettable.

It looks like the PS4 will include a 500GB HDD.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130611a_e.pdf
Hmmm

Camera is $59? That seems sorta low for what its supposed to be. But quite welcome
wow at that price i kinda wish Sony included it as it would have still kept the price lower than Microsoft.

edit: since Microsoft is making the camera mandatory what happends if you break it.Guess it going to be like the Wii U's gamepad.

The PlayStation 4's price and DRM policies were welcome announcements to those watching Sony's E3 press conference, but they weren't created in response to the same policies for Xbox One, Sony VP of Worldwide Studios Scott Rohde told Polygon in an interview earlier tonight.

"I literally have goosebumps right now, because that was always our plan," Rohde said. "It's something that we believe in. We know gamers come first; we know what they want. I was personally overwhelmed with the massive explosion on Twitter, with everyone essentially begging, 'Please don't do this Sony, please don't do this PlayStation!' It was so hard not to say, right away, 'Well, we never were going to do that, but now let's have a little fun and announce it in a fun way at the PlayStation press conference.'

"Could not believe how much the roof came down with that applause," Rohde added. "It was awesome."

Sony also announced that the PS4 would launch for $399, a good $100 cheaper than the price announced by Microsoft this morning for its Xbox One console. Again, Rohde said Sony had set that lower price well in advance of its competitors.

"I mean, that was such an amazing message," Rohde said. "We kind of had a feeling; we kind of knew we were gonna land a little bit cheaper than those green guys. When it was verified this morning, we've just been walking around with smiles all day."

No DRM , 399 , already pre ordered on amazon.

Possibly the reason why EA dropped the "online pass" is due to the PS+ needed now for online games, So paying for PS+ and then paying more for ea specific online games wasn't going to fly.

PS+ has turned into a nice deal on PS3 and I expect it to continue on PS4, So I don't mind paying for PS+

Also the carrying over to PS4 of PS+ is a great thing as well.  Now I can renew mine on PS3 and it will continue over with the PS4.  Good news.

Placed my pre-order on Amazon as well.

360 got more play this gen, but no way I can support MS with the DRM, 24 hour check ins, Kinect and a $500 price on top of it.

Don't see a lot of launch games that I really must have day 1, but I'll gladly preorder and get at launch just to vote with my wallet and support Sony for focusing on games and not having this BS DRM etc.

Don't see a lot of launch games that I really must have day 1, but I'll gladly preorder and get at launch just to vote with my wallet and support Sony for focusing on games and not having this BS DRM etc.
This is my line of thinking as well. I want to show Sony support, but I'm not sure how much I'll play it above and beyond what is free with PS+ initially based on what has been shown so far.

So

It's cheaper, no DRM, no online restrictions, doesn't require camera, higher powered / specs (?) ..

Some of those Xbox games did look very nice though, however most of what I want will be multi-platform so no worries there. I do hope PS4 gets some nice exclusives within the first year though sure it will. PS+ required for online is no big deal; been xbox live gold since 2004 so, plus I would want PS+ because you get so many good deals from it.

I'm heavily leaning towards sony at the moment. Microsoft HAS to change some of their things with xbox now surely? How can they stand clearly with a more expensive, more restrictive console??

So

It's cheaper, no DRM, no online restrictions, doesn't require camera, higher powered / specs (?) ..

Some of those Xbox games did look very nice though, however most of what I want will be multi-platform so no worries there. I do hope PS4 gets some nice exclusives within the first year though sure it will. PS+ required for online is no big deal; been xbox live gold since 2004 so, plus I would want PS+ because you get so many good deals from it.

I'm heavily leaning towards sony at the moment. Microsoft HAS to change some of their things with xbox now surely? How can they stand clearly with a more expensive, more restrictive console??
They can stand that way because they are clearly cocky as hell at this point in the game.

As someone who has been pro-Xbox for quite some time now, it's really quite clear that Microsoft seems to have forgotten who brought them to the dance: the consumer.

I've had nothing but a shitty experience with the Kinect (since day one) so the "must have" Kinect BS I saw coming a mile away. Sony really blew things out of the water with everything they presented, though. If in fact I do purchase a console on day one, it will be a PlayStation 4. With everything that's laid out there as of right now, Microsoft has lost me as a customer.

I'm the same, been Xbox only since the original back in 2003. But it seems they are pissing on the consumer at this point, thus me potentionally making the switch over.

You know, call me pessimistic but I keep waiting for the bottom to fall out.  Like, will these consoles be worse than 360 was at launch with faulty hardware or something else going wrong.  This day just seems like a dream and too good to be true.  Aww hell, greatness awaits, right?

http://youtu.be/QOdW1OuZ1U0

This is my line of thinking as well. I want to show Sony support, but I'm not sure how much I'll play it above and beyond what is free with PS+ initially based on what has been shown so far.
I'm also in the same boat. While I do slightly prefer the exclusives MS showed today (mainly Dead Rising 3, D4, Quantum Break, Killer Instinct) and vastly prefer the 360 controller over the Dual Shock 3, I'd rather support Sony than MS next gen. I wasn't even sure I was going to get a next gen console until the first hardware revision but I pre-ordered a PS4 anyways.

I'm in the same boat - but at least we do have that PS+ free game to look forward to. So we don't even really have to buy any games at launch and can still be CAGs and wait for price drops/sales while we play what they give us with PS+ in the mean time. Though I might have to get Knack for the kids if it gets good reviews... And I might buy some of the indie PSN games to tide me over.

I'm not as thrilled with the PS+ requirement as most CAGs though. It is great if you are single and already paying for PS+ (and thus doesn't effect you at all). But throw in a family with multiple kids who like playing for free online on the PS3 and it isn't such a great deal any more...

Just confirmed to be Region Free.
Thank you Sony.
Really? Nice.

Well I have it pre-ordered on Amazon but if the launch lineup has nothing interesting I can always cancel and get one later.

I'm not as thrilled with the PS+ requirement as most CAGs though. It is great if you are single and already paying for PS+ (and thus doesn't effect you at all). But throw in a family with multiple kids who like playing for free online on the PS3 and it isn't such a great deal any more...
I'm curious to know if one will be able to play multiplayer on a different profile than the one with PS+. My brother is far more interested in multiplayer than me, but PS+ is on my account (on we're definitely not getting two PS+ subscriptions). I guess worse case scenario is he has to use my account to play multiplayer, just as I've used his Xbox Live profile to play on that.

I'm curious to know if one will be able to play multiplayer on a different profile than the one with PS+. My brother is far more interested in multiplayer than me, but PS+ is on my account (on we're definitely not getting two PS+ subscriptions). I guess worse case scenario is he has to use my account to play multiplayer, just as I've used his Xbox Live profile to play on that.
https://mobile.twitter.com/yosp/status/344369977438126080

A chunk of the conference felt like a middle finger to Microsoft. Which was pretty entertaining imo. There werent a ton of games shown that were exclusives, but I thought Yoshida mentioned 40 exclusives the first yer with...a third(?) being 1st party?

Anyways, a good conference, but lots of moments that would have been fine just given to the press to announce (sony pictures section).

I really dont understand how anyone would want the X1 over PS4 now outside of 1st party games and the POSSIBILITY off Kinect. PS4 seems better in damn near every way. Microsoft will want to change their policiea or be tarnished up til release.

bread's done
Back