PlayStation Plus - 3 Months for $18/1 Year for $50 - 8/24: New Games for September

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Also, it looks like PS+ members are getting invites to the Dead Nation beta.[/QUOTE]

I read that on joystiq and checked my email and spam box. No invite. :cry:

I'll be damned if I'm going to pay Sony for a protection plan when their "service" has been so terrible for me when I've had numerous problems in the 8+ months I've owned my PS3. I won't sidetrack the thread by going into detail in here, but my personal experience with them gives me no reason to even consider paying.

At least the games are really good!

The new update:

Deals
PlayStation Protection Plan - 2 Year - $44.99 - PS3/US Only
Soldner-X: Himmelsturmer/Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype Bundle - $10.79
Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype - $9.09

Games
Mushroom Wars - PS3 - 101 MB
2Xtreme - PS3/PSP - 60 MB
Vempires - PSP/PS3 - 12 MB

Demos
TerRover

so far I haven't seen anything to justify wasting the $18 I gave them for Plus. I even asked for a refund, which of course was denied.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I've been playing Mushroom Wars like crazy for the past couple of days... It was really fun! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
For me, fieldrunners is where it's at. It's so simple yet addicting.

The freebies given with PSN+ leave once the sub is gone, but the discounted games with the PSN+ discount don't leave when purchased. If a lot of stuff gets discounted then this could be a great value if it constantly gives 20-50% off of a lot of games.

I honestly don't know why people are bitching so much. You all sound like a bunch of 3 year olds. The way I see it, I get 3 'free' games a month. At the end of 18 months, that's 54 free games that I'll have. Yes, I'll have to keep the subscription, but that will come with more free games. And even if you don't keep it, you still get to keep all the games that you got at a discount, many times as much as 50%. The service offers exactly what it said it would. Just because you had incredibly high expectations of a $3 a month service doesn't mean it's shitty.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I honestly don't know why people are bitching so much. You all sound like a bunch of 3 year olds. The way I see it, I get 3 'free' games a month. At the end of 18 months, that's 54 free games that I'll have. Yes, I'll have to keep the subscription, but that will come with more free games. And even if you don't keep it, you still get to keep all the games that you got at a discount, many times as much as 50%. The service offers exactly what it said it would. Just because you had incredibly high expectations of a $3 a month service doesn't mean it's shitty.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The service has already been well worth it for me with games like Wipeout HD, Mushroom Wars, Age of Zombies, Fieldrunners, and DLC for some games I already owned (Magic Orbz, etc..). And there's still 12 months to go :bouncy:

[quote name='ssjmichael']I agree. The service has already been well worth it for me with games like Wipeout HD, Mushroom Wars, Age of Zombies, Fieldrunners, and DLC for some games I already owned (Magic Orbz, etc..). And there's still 12 months to go :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Unless you happen to OWN the games they keep giving out for free :bomb:!

I bought in because I didn't have Wipeout and I thought I might get some other good ones along the way. So far, though, there has been NOTHING since the first month. Even the free and discounted DLC was better the first month. I can't even remember anything from the subsequent months. At this point I would definitely undo my purchase if possible, but we'll see how the next 12 months plays out. At some point they have to offer something I haven't already bought. The problem is, I am already seeing a pattern here: the "free" PSN games have all been ones that were recently on sale for 50% off. I bought most of those, so I'm not expecting to get much more out of this in the near future.

And the other problem is that it will freeze me out of buying any other games that are 50% off (for all PSN users) - because they might show up as the free PSN game at some point...

I mean, in the end I suspect I'll get my $50 worth - but barely.

Now, if you are a new PS3 owner, this is an awesome deal - you can look at it like Access_Denied does. It is for us long-timers that it isn't turning out so great. And by the way, I could care less about the PS1 games and minis so I don't even count them in the equation. Saying you get FIFTY-FOUR! free games is a bit of hyperbole - how many will you really ever play?

ya im a fan of it cause i just got my ps3 a little under a year ago soo...i dont have any of the games and mushroom wars is good...but damn there are some difficult levels

[quote name='io']Unless you happen to OWN the games they keep giving out for free :bomb:!

I bought in because I didn't have Wipeout and I thought I might get some other good ones along the way. So far, though, there has been NOTHING since the first month. Even the free and discounted DLC was better the first month. I can't even remember anything from the subsequent months. At this point I would definitely undo my purchase if possible, but we'll see how the next 12 months plays out. At some point they have to offer something I haven't already bought. The problem is, I am already seeing a pattern here: the "free" PSN games have all been ones that were recently on sale for 50% off. I bought most of those, so I'm not expecting to get much more out of this in the near future.

And the other problem is that it will freeze me out of buying any other games that are 50% off (for all PSN users) - because they might show up as the free PSN game at some point...

I mean, in the end I suspect I'll get my $50 worth - but barely.

Now, if you are a new PS3 owner, this is an awesome deal - you can look at it like Access_Denied does. It is for us long-timers that it isn't turning out so great. And by the way, I could care less about the PS1 games and minis so I don't even count them in the equation. Saying you get FIFTY-FOUR! free games is a bit of hyperbole - how many will you really ever play?[/QUOTE]

The whole freezing people out of buying games thing is why when a game comes up for a PS+ member you should then be able to outright buy it for dirt cheap then. For instance lets say a game usually costs $10 but it comes up as free on PS+. At that point as long as you own it on PS+ at any point in time that you are an active subscriber you could buy the game for $2ish. A lot of people feel more comfortable owning games then "renting" them(I do not feel this is renting, its just the way others do). So if you could get the game for free as long as your subscribed or buy it for a huge discount, I bet more people would take advantage of it.

As for the selection so far, I agree its been meh and is at a wait and see point. The first month was great and Critter Crunch was great for the few people that did not own it yet....but since then its been lame. I am going to give it another month or two before calling bait and switch though.

[quote name='MSI Magus']The whole freezing people out of buying games thing is why when a game comes up for a PS+ member you should then be able to outright buy it for dirt cheap then. For instance lets say a game usually costs $10 but it comes up as free on PS+. At that point as long as you own it on PS+ at any point in time that you are an active subscriber you could buy the game for $2ish. A lot of people feel more comfortable owning games then "renting" them(I do not feel this is renting, its just the way others do). So if you could get the game for free as long as your subscribed or buy it for a huge discount, I bet more people would take advantage of it.

As for the selection so far, I agree its been meh and is at a wait and see point. The first month was great and Critter Crunch was great for the few people that did not own it yet....but since then its been lame. I am going to give it another month or two before calling bait and switch though.[/QUOTE]

That would work, but then that means Sony loses money. Why would they want you to keep anything at $2 when you could buy it after your subscription (or during a sale) for so much more than that?

[quote name='Interfeci']That would work, but then that means Sony loses money. Why would they want you to keep anything at $2 when you could buy it after your subscription (or during a sale) for so much more than that?[/QUOTE]

Because that assumes that your letting your sub to PS+ end which means they are losing money there. Why not have a model that lets you make money off people subscribing to PS+ AND the games they buy. It seems most of us have admitted we are no longer buying games because we are waiting to see if they turn up on PS+, or at least as a big PS+ deal. So why not have it be that PS+ provides a solid deal once something becomes free?

Or another thing they could do is when a game is 50% for everyone, it is 75% off for PSN+ users. I would be more likely to buy that, and then be slightly less annoyed when it is the "free" selection 3 months later ;) (and at least I'd own it for good).

[quote name='io']Or another thing they could do is when a game is 50% for everyone, it is 75% off for PSN+ users. I would be more likely to buy that, and then be slightly less annoyed when it is the "free" selection 3 months later ;) (and at least I'd own it for good).[/QUOTE]

Permanent 10-25% off would be sweet, then if something went on sale you got an additional 10-25% off the sale price as a PS+ member.

Com'on we're asking for Sony to do something smart for a change.... LOL, they're always a day late and a dollar short to the party. I'm a Sony fanboy but very displeased with them between PS+ and my PSPGO.

[quote name='kryptonic']Com'on we're asking for Sony to do something smart for a change.... LOL, they're always a day late and a dollar short to the party. I'm a Sony fanboy but very displeased with them between PS+ and my PSPGO.[/QUOTE]

what about the web brower on the psp and ps3

[quote name='starmask2k3']do u think mlbtv and hulu+ would be free for PS+[/QUOTE]

No? Why would it be?

You're paying $3.33 a month for PSN plus, if not less, and you expect them to give you free access to either of those services that cost much more than that? Keep dreaming.

[quote name='mtxbass1']No? Why would it be?

You're paying $3.33 a month for PSN plus, if not less, and you expect them to give you free access to either of those services that cost much more than that? Keep dreaming.[/QUOTE]

its was free once

MLB.TV was only free at the same time that MLB Extra Innings was free, I believe. Hulu Plus wouldn't offer a free trial to PS+ users and not longtime Hulu members who sue their computers to watch videos, but I do think their offer of a trial that we were expected to pay for was pretty stupid.

Seems like those Tik games already discounted for this sale has another discount for plus members. And there's free dlc for the lot of 'em.

Tik games?

Anyways, I downloaded Mushroom Wars and Vempire yesterday. Vempire seems like a crappy little puzzle game not even worth the time to DL it. Mushroom Wars is actually pretty damn fun though. It gets a bit hectic/crazy to follow mid way through the game, but overall its still a fun game and if I did not have PS+ and it was on sale for $3-$5 id buy it.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Tik games?

Anyways, I downloaded Mushroom Wars and Vempire yesterday. Vempire seems like a crappy little puzzle game not even worth the time to DL it. Mushroom Wars is actually pretty damn fun though. It gets a bit hectic/crazy to follow mid way through the game, but overall its still a fun game and if I did not have PS+ and it was on sale for $3-$5 id buy it.[/QUOTE]

Vempire isn't horrible, but it isn't great either. I'm about half way through it right now. The item unlocks are incredibly difficult for some reason, even on the first few areas.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Tik games?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Tik/Create Games like Hamsterball, Smash Cars, Magic Orbz, Cuboid and Mahjong Tales.

Each are already discounted in the psn sale, and I think plus members get an additional $1.20 off each game. Plus most of those games have dlc and they are free for plus members. The games are really great for that price. Hamsterball and Smashcars being honorable mention. :cool:

I still probably won't get PSN+... If you were to cancel your subscription at any time, they take away all of the games and things that you've gotten from them >_> No thanks lol

[quote name='ThatAwesome1']I still probably won't get PSN+... If you were to cancel your subscription at any time, they take away all of the games and things that you've gotten from them >_> No thanks lol[/QUOTE]

Sony and MS have not made any guarantees that your content is really your content. So basically when you BUY something digitally right now its no different then a rental either. Sony and or MS could next gen release the new systems and not allow games from this gen to transfer over to the next gen. At that point they would probably only host the games for a short period longer....meaning you just had a long term rental.

This is all just possibilities not what is happening, I am just stating it because I am tired of all the silly PS+ is just a rental crap.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Sony and MS have not made any guarantees that your content is really your content. So basically when you BUY something digitally right now its no different then a rental either. Sony and or MS could next gen release the new systems and not allow games from this gen to transfer over to the next gen. At that point they would probably only host the games for a short period longer....meaning you just had a long term rental.

This is all just possibilities not what is happening, I am just stating it because I am tired of all the silly PS+ is just a rental crap.[/QUOTE]

No, you're definitely right. Anybody who thinks they're going to keep their games forever is crazy. I know that won't happen. But I know that in my 15 months of using them, I'll get well over my $50 worth from them. I'm OK with long term rentals. I get bored of games anyway.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Sony and MS have not made any guarantees that your content is really your content. So basically when you BUY something digitally right now its no different then a rental either. Sony and or MS could next gen release the new systems and not allow games from this gen to transfer over to the next gen. At that point they would probably only host the games for a short period longer....meaning you just had a long term rental.

This is all just possibilities not what is happening, I am just stating it because I am tired of all the silly PS+ is just a rental crap.[/QUOTE]

I believe Microsoft has already pulled some stuff off of Xbox Live...

You're correct, you do not own anything that you purchase on Xbox Live, Virtual Console, PSN, Kindle, iTunes, Steam, ect. All you have is a limited license, you do not retain any ownership rights.

Personally, I've been really enjoying Playstation Plus. Every month I feel like I've been getting my three dollars and thirty three cents worth, especially this month with Mushroom Wars. I would have easily paid MSRP!

in the end its 50 bucks for 13 months of semi free shit which isnt a bad deal if you have 50 bucks to spare. ive wasted more and gotten way less for it than im getting with this. still not jazzed about some of the crap theyre putting up but overall ive pretty much made back my investment. and the dead nation demo was a big bonus.

heres what came out today for plus subscribers

PlayStation Plus

Qore Episode 28: September 2010 (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers, regular price $2.99)
File size: 1.65 GB

Warhawk Game Trial (Free and Exclusive to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
File size: 835 MB

Warhawk: Booster Combo (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)

Warhawk Dynamic Theme (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)

UFC Undisputed 2010 – TUF Fighter DLC Pack (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)

God of War: Ghost of Sparta PSP Demo (Early Access to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)

Blast Off – Minis (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)

Mystical Fractals Theme (Free and Exclusive to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)

Ratchet & Clank Dynamic Theme (PlayStation Plus Price $1.50, regular price $2.99)

New stuff for the next month. Starts Sept. 21st

PlayStation Plus Highlight for 9/21:
Free Games
Zen Pinball
Echoes – minis
Syphon Filter 3 – PS One
Early Access Game and Demo
Sword & Soldiers
Free Game Add-on
High Velocity Bowling – Move Compatibility Add-On
Free Themes
Shades of Autumn Theme
Discounts
Cuboid (50%)
Savage Moon (50%)
LittleBigPlanet: Monster Costume Pack (50%)
Discounted PS One Games
PS One Imports
Cho Aniki
Gaiaseed
Free Avatars
LittleBigPlanet Avatar – Hugo
LittleBigPlanet Avatar – Marvin
Last Chance, Get Them While You Can – Coming down on September 21:
Free Offers to PlayStation Plus Subscribers
Mushroom Wars
2Xtreme
VEMPIRES – minis

I'm waiting for io to come in to see if he owns that one too, lol.. I'm lucky so far as the only one I already owned was Critter Crunch. I also own Echoes but that was just a .99 mini. So far I've been very pleased with everything I've gotten for the money. I think I've played more new games in these past months than any other time span before as a PS3 owner. I know a lot of others don't feel the same way. It's also kind of fun to see just what we'll get next. Sort of like a digital grab bag if you will. The betas for Dead Nation and God of War: Ghosts of Sparta has also been worth it for me personally.

I think it's evident that the free games being given away will likely be PSN exclusives (i.e. not on the 360), so if you are hesitant to buy anything, just consider buying multiplatform PSN games.

I am not really pleased nor displeased with what I have gotten. If however I would not have owned many of these games id be thrilled with what I had got for the money.

Yup, already own Zen Pinball. I wish they would've discounted their dlc. I would liked to get a couple tables that I didn't own for a discount.

And another Syphon Filter game?! Let's not try to think out the box here and offer extraordinary ps1 classic games.

im still wondering why hey havent put up that r&c game for free yet but itll be cool to finally try zen pinball. btw with that last warhawk dlc bundle that came out this week has all of the dlc for warhawk been released for free for plus subs?

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm waiting for io to come in to see if he owns that one too, lol..[/QUOTE]

You know, I think I do, but I'm not 100% sure :lol:. Was it on sale at any time within the last 12 months? If so, then I probably do have it.

The best thing I've gotten so far from PSN+ isn't getting much play here though it seems. It was the Warhawk combo pack that just went up a few days ago. My son has been playing the game and using the one free DLC that they gave to us in July. He's been bugging me the last few weeks to get the other two. And here I thought that was Sony's plan. They give you the one free one, then entice you to buy the other two, which really come in a bundle with all 3 for the price of 2 - so in effect you wouldn't even get the first one free any more. I was getting pretty pissed about that, but I told him to wait to see what comes out next month for PSN+ as I had a hunch we might see more Warhawk stuff. Then the very next day after I told him that they put the whole combo pack up for free! I think my rage got through to them telepathically ;).

So, yeah, since I was probably going to have to shell out for that at the full $15.99 at some point (or at least get it on a partial sale for $10 or so), that is a definite perk right there that I finally get to enjoy from this thing. So now I figure I'm up to about $20 value out of my membership. I'll have to look and see if I have Zen Pinball - if not, that adds another $5 or so.

Wow. I actually don't have Zen Pinball. Finally, a game I don't have.

And out of all possible PS1 games to discount, they choose CHO ANIKI? That is just too much. To those of you that may have not seen it... It is an amazing game that needs to be purchased instantly.

This week kicked some major butt. I was planning on just buying one of the PSOne Imports for $5.99, but I ended up buying them both for the $6.

I can't wait to check out all the stuff I'm downloading. :bouncy:

bread's done
Back