PlayStation Plus - 3 Months for $18/1 Year for $50 - 8/24: New Games for September

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']This week's update:

Deals
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped - $3.00
Super Street Fighter IV Avatar (35) Bundle - $4.99

Games
Critter Crunch
Syphon Filter - PSP/PS3
Kahoots - PSP/PS3

Seems like this may be the bulk of the August update since they removed the July games (minus Fieldrunners), but everything else is still there. Even the TikGames and Midway deals from the first week are still there. I'm not sure how permanent some of this stuff is, but I'd download everything you've missed just in case.[/QUOTE]

Not as good of an update as the last one for me...

Mainly because I already own Critter Crunch (which is pretty fun by the way). I've yet to play Kahoots, but I'm downloading it now along with Syphon Filter. :bouncy:

Still, I think Syphon Filter + Kahoots is worth $3.33 to me.

[quote name='SnorE']soo say once they remove syphon filter from the list do you lose it?

and if not when you d/l the game and say your subscription is up do you still have the right to the games?

is there enough decent games that are free downloads that are worth the price tag?

just trying to justify if i should get it or not...sorry if these questions have been answered[/QUOTE]

the main thing you need to remember is that if something is free in plus add it to your dl thingy so that if you want to try it later regardless if its listed in plus or not.

[quote name='defmonkey05']I knew this would happen soon, but I'm still getting my money's worth.

I'm happy with syphon filter and kahoots.[/QUOTE]

kahoots is a fun game.

At first I was dissapointed to see Critter Crunch since I already own it, but at the same time its a good sign. Even if I own it its a fairly large name game as far as DL games go and its a great game...so yeah I miss out but it is whats hopefully a sign of things to come.

[quote name='MSI Magus']At first I was dissapointed to see Critter Crunch since I already own it, but at the same time its a good sign. Even if I own it its a fairly large name game as far as DL games go and its a great game...so yeah I miss out but it is whats hopefully a sign of things to come.[/QUOTE]

Same here, but Syphon Filter and the discount on Crash 3 are nice. I got both of those.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']This week's update:

Deals
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped - $3.00
Super Street Fighter IV Avatar (35) Bundle - $4.99

Games
Critter Crunch
Syphon Filter - PSP/PS3
Kahoots - PSP/PS3

Seems like this may be the bulk of the August update since they removed the July games (minus Fieldrunners), but everything else is still there. Even the TikGames and Midway deals from the first week are still there. I'm not sure how permanent some of this stuff is, but I'd download everything you've missed just in case.[/QUOTE]
Good update to me. I dont have any of those three free games. I heard good things about Critter Crunch and I loved Syphon Filter back in the day. Never heard of Kahoots but will check it out. Thanks for the update.

I would mainly be getting it for the free games not sure how many of the other games i would really buy...prob would wanna get a bigger harddrive or you think 72gb is enough

Think im gonna try and get the year subscription anyone selling cheap PSN Cards or want something on my list..any of those freepsn card sites work

Wow, so far August is a wasted month... I'm thinking, in the end, this will be worth just about $50 over the 15 months. I appreciate good games like Critter Crunch being on there, but maybe one month they could offer a game that hasn't been on sale multiple times before!

I know I would not get to all or even most of the free games due to time and backlog, so it comes down to the discounts for me. I wish they had a subplan with just the discounts and some other stuff for $25.

[quote name='SnorE']
just trying to justify if i should get it or not...sorry if these questions have been answered[/QUOTE]

If you make use of many of the discounts, you don't own many games already, and will actually play a lot of the free games then I'd say it's definitely worth it. Sony's basically doing a Gamestop 20off80 so to speak (don't take this literally anyone!), with some bells and whistles. Just remember you will need to spend more to save more even after the sub.

OK, before I jump on this, I just want to make sure. All the games and addons in the first post are free and mine to keep until I unsubscribe, right?

[quote name='Access_Denied']OK, thanks. I think I'm going to try a year. At about only $4 a month, what have I got to lose?[/QUOTE]

$4 a month if you don't like it :p

It's worth it IMHO.

[quote name='Access_Denied']OK, before I jump on this, I just want to make sure. All the games and addons in the first post are free and mine to keep until I unsubscribe, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes. But in addition there are discounted games and addons that you can buy. If you buy them separately, they're yours to keep forever.

so i went ahead and am now a PlayStation + member...was gonna get it sooner or later figured sooner because the month is ending and didn't want to miss out on the 3 extra months...

Critter Crunch is a great game very addictive thats for sure

Well, I went to PSN+. Happy so far. I got 2 minis, a PS3 game and a PSOne Classic for free. If the other 14 months continue like this, then I'll have no problem renewing it again.

I signed up for PSN+ last night. The $50 seemed like a lot until someone pointed out that it's only $3.33/month for 15 months which really didn't seem all that bad when I thought about it.

Things I like:
- the automatic update feature. For whatever reason the downloading of games and updates is slow and the installs aren't so great either (perhaps I'm too demanding). Anyway, I like the idea of them just being applied at night so that when I start a game it just happens. This, oddly, is probably the #1 reason I went with the service.
- discounted prices on games. I'll pick up various downloadable games every so often if they interest me. Some of them are very good. They're generally more appealing than what I see on Wii (WiiWare - I like the VC on Wii). Anyway, this was a selling point. Probably #2 on my list. I'm assuming I'll get to keep these games if my subscription lapses. I really can't imagine them not doing that.

Kind of a wash:
- the 'free' games. I wouldn't recommend anyone sign up based on this. 1) You never know what they're going to offer - offering a free game that you wouldn't otherwise buy may be nice but I wouldn't say it adds to the service. For example, if they offered Hamsterz (made up game though it probably exists on the Wii or DS) for free and it was otherwise a $10 game would you really think you just offset the $50 cost of the service by $10 because you got Hamsterz for free? Offsetting the costs only matters if you were truly going to buy it anyway. Aside from all of that, you lose the game when your subscription lapses so if you do think, "Hey I offset the cost!," then you'll be paying a maintenance fee on those games you really didn't want just to keep them (kind of gets into weird logic at this point).
- Hulu Plus - looks like you still have to subscribe (or when I tried briefly it seemed like I'd have to subscribe). I'm really ok without paying Hulu an extra $10/month. I think they have a great service but I'm just not seeing $10/month going to them at this point. Maybe if I gave up on cable again...

I'm sure there are some other features of PSN+ but they weren't enough to bubble to the top of my brain.

I signed up for PSN+ to treat it like a rental service.

Free Mini's and PS1 games are no biggie.
Though so far I really like the one with the zombie killing (not turning my PS3 on just to figure out the name).
The 2 free games so far have also been good.
The racing game is alot of fun, and Critter Crunch is a blast.....
I will play the hell out of both, so the "rental" of them was totally worth it to me.

I am debating on Hulu Plus or not.....
I do not have cable, I also do not have netflix.
Not sure to go Hulu or Netflix.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...us-red-faction-guerrilla-game-trial-and-more/

They're switching to bi-weekly updates and Red Faction: Guerrilla is the next retail game on PSN with a game trial for PS+:

We are moving to a bi-weekly publish of PlayStation Plus content, so the next update for free, exclusive and discounted items on PlayStation Store will be Tuesday 8/10. Here’s a peek into some of the items that will be included in next week’s update. Also, this will be the last week that some of the free and discounted items will be available, so if you haven’t downloaded Fieldrunners or purchased some of the games and add-ons that are discounted for PlayStation Plus members, do so before next Tuesday.

As a reminder for everyone else, there’s a special limited time introductory offer on PlayStation Plus: Get three additional bonus months of PlayStation Plus if you buy a 1-year package for $49.99. Check out the PlayStation Plus category on PlayStation Store.

PlayStation Plus: Highlights for 8/10

Red Faction Guerrilla from THQ – 60-minute Game Trial
Qore August Episode with exclusive demo of TerRover from SOE
PixelJunk Racers Second Lap – Early Access and Limited Time Discount exclusive
Aero Racer mini – FREE

Last Chance, Get Them While You Can – Coming down 8/10:

Games
Fieldrunners – mini – FREE
Super Stardust (PlayStation Plus price $5.00, original price $9.99)
Gravity Crash (PlayStation Plus price $5.00, original price $9.99)

Discounted Add-ons
Super Stardust HD Team add-on Pack (PlayStation Plus price $2.50, original price $4.99)
Super Stardust HD Solo add-on Pack (PlayStation Plus price $2.50, original price $4.99)
Resistance 2 Aftermath Multiplayer Map Pack (PlayStation Plus price $2.00, original price $3.99)

Themes (Free to PlayStation Plus subscribers)
King Zumo
MAG S.V.E.R Dynamic Theme
MAG Raven Dynamic Theme
MAG Valor Dynamic Theme

Video
Qore – July Episode
Sounds like the EU blog told them to stop doing the weekly updates when they saw how much they were putting out there.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

Sounds like the EU blog told them to stop doing the weekly updates when they saw how much they were putting out there.[/QUOTE]

Yet, the EU blog today posted everything they are offering for both August and September...

D'oh! So I still see July stuff up there (Super Stardust, etc), but the Fat Princess expansion pack has been removed. And guess what, my son just asked me for that yesterday. I think it was only $1 off, so no biggie, but I wish he had asked me when it was an active discount! I didn't think he played it any more so I passed on it when I first saw it. What sucks is that they probably removed the discount because the main game is going on sale (for everyone) at half off this week. They probably want people to pay full price for the add-on. So that's a double-whammy to me since I paid the full price for the original game. At least, hopefully, this means it (the main game) won't be included as a free/discounted game in PSN+ in the near future (as I'd rather see other stuff). I may hold out for the expansion to be a free/discount in the future, though, if I can fend off my son from bugging me about it ;).

Looking forward to trying PixelJunk Racers Second Lap, even though the first game isn't their strongest title. Qore is always nice.

Wonder what the new discounted titles will be next week?

damn that sucks its not like they were putting that much up to begin with now its going i weekly lol. if they switch to biweekly and still put up the same amount of stuff they put on an avg week thats going to suck.

they mst have gotten more people to subcribe than they expected to pull something like this itd be interesting to talk to someone about wtf it is theyre thinking when it comes to all of this.

[quote name='lokizz']damn that sucks its not like they were putting that much up to begin with now its going i weekly lol. if they switch to biweekly and still put up the same amount of stuff they put on an avg week thats going to suck.

they mst have gotten more people to subcribe than they expected to pull something like this itd be interesting to talk to someone about wtf it is theyre thinking when it comes to all of this.[/QUOTE]

Actually the problem is that they wrongly built expectations. initially it was always stated that the updates would be monthly, but for the first month they started ding it weekly (even if minor ones), so now everybody expects them to keep the weekly scheduled

On other things: a downloadable RF:Guerrilla? Sweet!

Red Faction Guerrilla is a really good game that unfortunately got lost in the shuffle for me due to a bunch of other stuff coming out, and CAG multiplayer dying on the 360 end. I need to go back and finish the campaign.

wait..wait wait

bi-weekly for the formerly monthly stuff or bi-weekly stuff or bi-weekly for the formerly weekly stuff?

if the latter, this disappointing service just got more disappointing.

Red Faction sounds good though. I'll game share it.

ya i thought new stuff was just added monthly to the PSN + users? PSN + users were getting weekly updates? or was this just discounts on games?

They've been releasing everything on a weekly basis, so they'd spread a month's worth of content over four weeks of releases. Somebody didn't like that so they're doing bi-weekly releases now.

How many people were expecting to get weekly stuff when this first started? I believe we all assumed we'd get all the stuff at the start of the month based on what the EU blog announced for the first two months. The first week we got the majority of content aside from Fieldrunners so no way in hell most were expecting weekly free stuff. I just couldn't see them keeping that up for 15 months so bi-weekly is perfectly fine by me. I wouldn't even care if I only got stuff at the start of the month. People are way too spoiled as it is, and it's Sony that started that. It should new content the first day of the new month with a random demo/service/beta/theme, etc.. every now and then within the month.

[quote name='ninja dog']ummm, yeah, it started as weekly and they never said that was temporary, so of course people thought it would be weekly forever.[/QUOTE]

I'm talking the first day of the service when we got 99% of the content that we assumed was coming based on the EU blog (sans Fieldrunners and different themes). I am positive most were not expecting weekly updates right after that. In fact it wasn't until Sony's PS blog (or twitter) confirmed a few days later that we'd be getting fieldrunners and more stuff weekly that people found this out. You're BS'ing if you say otherwise since Sony never mentioned new stuff weekly as part of their service.

edit: It wasn't until 5 days after the service started that we found out we'd get things weekly, as seen by Frisky's post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7378073&postcount=370
[quote name='PS Blog Twitter']
"PlayStation Plus: Wondering where Fieldrunners and dynamic themes are?Subscriber content will continue to roll out all month, so stay tuned!"[/QUOTE]

Even from that, they didn't mention new stuff weekly, just throughout the month, which still holds true.

[quote name='doubledown']Hmmm, I guess I need to decide if I want Super Stardust HD. I do have a 3D TV, so I may have to get it just for the novelty.[/QUOTE]

I am having a blast with this game....
in fact, thanks for bringing it up, going to go play it now.

[quote name='Matt Young']Red Faction Guerrilla is a really good game that unfortunately got lost in the shuffle for me due to a bunch of other stuff coming out, and CAG multiplayer dying on the 360 end. I need to go back and finish the campaign.[/QUOTE]
Red Faction Guerrilla is a pretty interesting title and it's only $19.99 new now. It boasts fully destructible buildings and a fair amount of weaponry that you can use.

It's well worth the $20 new, though unless you have a great internet connection the multiplayer will drop out pretty quick.:roll::bomb:

But once the campaign is done in the game, that's all she wrote. You may run into a pocket of EDF troops every so often, but otherwise there's nothing left to do(unless you buy/download the prequel levels from PSN).

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm talking the first day of the service when we got 99% of the content that we assumed was coming based on the EU blog (sans Fieldrunners and different themes). I am positive most were not expecting weekly updates right after that. In fact it wasn't until Sony's PS blog (or twitter) confirmed a few days later that we'd be getting fieldrunners and more stuff weekly that people found this out. You're BS'ing if you say otherwise since Sony never mentioned new stuff weekly as part of their service.

edit: It wasn't until 5 days after the service started that we found out we'd get things weekly, as seen by Frisky's post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7378073&postcount=370

Even from that, they didn't mention new stuff weekly, just throughout the month, which still holds true.[/QUOTE]

not everybody closely follows minute-by-minute video game news updates, bud

[quote name='lokizz']did any of you get an email from sony for a survey on psn plus?[/QUOTE]

I did....

Personally... The initial stuff they released was what lured me in and felt that I got a pretty decent pull for only being the first month and figured in the next 15 months I should have more than my money's worth.

That being said... Since the initial stuff released there hasn't been anything that I've been to crazy about. I was assuming there would be a consistent release date of new material I could look forward to (I thought there would be some new stuff released for August and havent' seen anything yet). I also discounted the service because of the "keep games only as long as the subscription is good" and don't really care for that either. The discounts on games to buy have been quasi garbage in my opinion as well.

Now the survey was only what we think about it so far.... I'm still thinking there will be some more good months to come and not every month is going to have something that's going to peak everyones interest.

On a side note.... Does anyone know if/when they are releasing anything for the U.S. in August? I saw something but nothing official. I also saw something about what the U.K. is getting and not sure if that's what will be released here.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']We already got the bulk of the games for August two weeks ago and there is more stuff coming tomorrow.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7477413&postcount=570[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info...

In review of that... I stand behind my survery and still not happy. Obviously they do things to get people to buy it (Wipeout HD) and then they tank it for the next month. Maybe it's my fault for thinking it would be as good as the initial content but since that content it's been sub par at best. :puke:

Just because you put out a bunch of add-on's doesn't make it great because it looks like a lot of content being given out. How about they give your the freaking games to play first, then offer the add-on content for a discounted price? It would be like going to the dealership and them giving you an engine, wheels, rims and a windshield. WTF am I going to do with those? :bomb:

Here's to hoping the survey's come back crappy enough to where Sony will step up the content being put out. :pray: :pray:

Don't get me wrong... I'm a Sony fanboy but this just disappoints me :(

bread's done
Back