PlayStation Plus - 3 Months for $18/1 Year for $50 - 8/24: New Games for September

For PSN games, you have to had played the game recently, so you should just start all of them up and if there's an update, click cancel, move to the next game, and sign back into PSN to get them ready for automatic download. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work on discs though.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']For PSN games, you have to had played the game recently, so you should just start all of them up and if there's an update, click cancel, move to the next game, and sign back into PSN to get them ready for automatic download. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work on discs though.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info, hope they add disc based games and not make you fire them up first. Sitting down to play and getting prompted for a huge download first is bs.

Doing it for disc-based games would be a much bigger undertaking. I think it'd have to be programmed individually for each game even. The update notice comes from data on the disc I believe so the only way to know if there is an update is to have the disc inserted. I don't know if this is true or not, but I'm aslo assuming that these updates are held on the company's server not Sony so Sony couldn't check to see if there was a new update for it like they could with their PSN games and services.

Thank you all for the very informative discussion. It probably only updates for recently-played games, both PSN and disc (I haven't had any updated as of yet, I'll try firing up all of my disc-based games and see what happens)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So you played LBP and Blur recently? Was either disc in the drive?[/QUOTE]

Recently as in the past 2 weeks or so, and no disks were in my drive at all.
A friend brought over Blur on the 5th of july. I believe LBP was played most recently on the 3rd (got a LBP trophy that day).

Interesting. Maybe the automatic download has its own way to access the updates without just doing the manual update method that everybody else does.

Yeah that is interesting. It's likely checkng for any game or save data installed then checking their servers (or 3rd party) for the updates then.

You did mention that it provided updates for Blur, which you don't even own. I could see that being a negative part of the feature. Suppose you rent and trade games often, it'd likely provide automatic updates for all those unless you manually delete each games Save/game data. There's probably no way around this though

Anyway here's the new stuff for Plus members this week. I'm glad to see a Heavy Rain avatar, I was going to buy one last week and decided to wait and see if it came.

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days Demo (Free and Exclusive to PlayStation Plus)
Demo for Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days, a raw and brutal crime shooter. Relentless action in single player and Fragile Alliance multiplayer.
ESRB Rated M
File size: 1.38 GB
echochrome (PlayStation Plus price $5.00, original price $9.99)
Resistance 2 Skin Bundle (PlayStation Plus price $2.00, original price $3.99)
Hamsterball (PlayStation Plus price $7.99, original price $9.99)
Heavy Rain Origami Swan Avatar (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
File size: 100 KB
Bloody Escape Theme (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
File size: 6.1 MB

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yeah that is interesting. It's likely checkng for any game or save data installed then checking their servers (or 3rd party) for the updates then.

You did mention that it provided updates for Blur, which you don't even own. I could see that being a negative part of the feature. Suppose you rent and trade games often, it'd likely provide automatic updates for all those unless you manually delete each games Save/game data. There's probably no way around this though[/QUOTE]
I doubt that it uses install or save data to know what to download since not all games install anything (Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Killzone 2, and others) and save data doesn't prove anything since you can play some games without saving. You just have to have played it recently, which it probably keeps track of somewhere and unless it's a Burnout Paradise situation (several hundred MB updates), it shouldn't be much of a problem.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Anyway here's the new stuff for Plus members this week. I'm glad to see a Heavy Rain avatar, I was going to buy one last week and decided to wait and see if it came.

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days Demo (Free and Exclusive to PlayStation Plus)
Demo for Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days, a raw and brutal crime shooter. Relentless action in single player and Fragile Alliance multiplayer.
ESRB Rated M
File size: 1.38 GB
echochrome (PlayStation Plus price $5.00, original price $9.99)
Resistance 2 Skin Bundle (PlayStation Plus price $2.00, original price $3.99)
Hamsterball (PlayStation Plus price $7.99, original price $9.99)
Heavy Rain Origami Swan Avatar (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
File size: 100 KB
Bloody Escape Theme (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
File size: 6.1 MB[/QUOTE]

Interestingly enough, Hamsterball is $4.99 on Amazon.

It was actually 3.99 last week for plus members, so it's odd that they raised it and still included that as a "sale". Played the demo. It's somewhat fun, but a bit too silly for me.

That's the price it was at during the first update of the month, but then it dropped because there was a sale on the non-Plus version, so they dropped it accordingly. Now it's back up to the original sale price.

man that shaky cam shit when you run in k&l2 is too much to handle. after 3 sprints my head started hurt. i here an option to turn that off?

[quote name='lokizz']man that shaky cam shit when you run in k&l2 is too much to handle. after 3 sprints my head started hurt. i here an option to turn that off?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, there should be an option to stabilize the camera.

Yeah I had the Kane and Lynch 2 Demo downloaded for me when I woke up yesterday morning. Before the update even came out so I was pretty happy about that.

The push downloads/patches are pretty nice!

[quote name='lokizz']man that shaky cam shit when you run in k&l2 is too much to handle. after 3 sprints my head started hurt. i here an option to turn that off?[/QUOTE]

Wow, I thought it was just me also.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, there should be an option to stabilize the camera.[/QUOTE]

i found it after looking in the options the games ok i could see buying it at 20 or maybe just renting it. if its anything like he first im sure its got a decent story worth seeing. btw was there a zoom option in the game? if i could have zooomed in just a litle more itd have been easier to aim and kill enemies.

Has anybody signed up for this in the last few days? I am about to pull the trigger on this, but I want to make sure I'll still get the extra 3 months.

I wish I hadn't waited, I think I missed out on the sale on Super Stardust. Dangit.

EDIT: I just checked, and yes, I'll still get the extra months. yay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man lame downloads again. Hopefully it works in the sense of there is a big monthly update every month then several small updates with mostly crappy avatars and discounts on crappy games the rest of the month. Id be dissapointed if most of the updates from now on are just always weekely "here is a demo instead of a full game and a couple crappy DLC/map packs discounted".

I actually got Hulu Plus as well. I must Admit, I like it untill they get Netflix on it (I know there is a disc but I just like having the application) I have some season passes to shows I like, so not really that bad honestly. The Movie selection could be a lot better how ever.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I actually got Hulu Plus as well. I must Admit, I like it untill they get Netflix on it (I know there is a disc but I just like having the application) I have some season passes to shows I like, so not really that bad honestly. The Movie selection could be a lot better how ever.[/QUOTE]

Did you actually pay for Hulu plus, or are you just using the trial that comes with PSN+ ?

I will probably check out the trial, but Hulu seems pretty lame compared to Netflix.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Just the current issue of Qore[/QUOTE]

This strikes me as pretty freaking lame... it wouldn't kill them to have at least 2 or 3 back issues available.

At almost 2 gig apiece tho, it's not like I'm leaving them on my hard drive for very long.

[quote name='teknikalei']This strikes me as pretty freaking lame... it wouldn't kill them to have at least 2 or 3 back issues available.

At almost 2 gig apiece tho, it's not like I'm leaving them on my hard drive for very long.[/QUOTE]

I brought this up before, but every time you get a magazine subscription that starts a certain month do you always expect to get the previous two issues as well?

Let's not forget that there are Qore members who already feel like they're being screwed over, imagine how they'd feel if Plus members also got back issues.

[quote name='teknikalei']Did you actually pay for Hulu plus, or are you just using the trial that comes with PSN+ ?

I will probably check out the trial, but Hulu seems pretty lame compared to Netflix.[/QUOTE]

hulu is pretty good shit if youve ever tried it on your pc.they have alot of movies up but yeah i was wondering if you get the free trial if you had to pay to watch their stuff.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I brought this up before, but every time you get a magazine subscription that starts a certain month do you always expect to get the previous two issues as well?

Let's not forget that there are Qore members who already feel like they're being screwed over, imagine how they'd feel if Plus members also got back issues.[/QUOTE]

You have a point, but we're talking about digital content here. There is basically no distribution or production cost for back issues in this case. There are several magazines I can think of that offer back issues digitally these days. It's just smart marketing, if you ask me.

As for those Qore members who feel screwed... sorry, not my problem. Sony should figure out a way to take care of them, and hopefully they will. I thought existing Qore subs were getting a certain amount of PSN+, weren't they?

[quote name='doubledown']How does one get into the BETA for Hulu Plus? I wanted to try out, but I did not get a key[/QUOTE]

You sign up for an invite and wait.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's in the PS+ section of the store, though I don't think downloading that is an automatic entry into the beta.[/QUOTE]

It's not, if you start it up it just asks for your email so you have a chance to be invited.

Yup, I got an invite too, but I'm not paying $9.99 a month for this service. Lame how they charge you immediately upon signing up.

What the hell? Pay for a preview?

[quote name='ssjmichael']Just the current issue of Qore[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks. Guess I'm gonna have to buy the one with the Blasto theme then

^ lol I was shocked too when I got my invite.
To whoever has Hulu Plus Preview right now; can you guys please lookup if you can watch Fist of the North star right away? I heard Preview does not show every Hulu shows until they release it.

[quote name='Count']^ lol I was shocked too when I got my invite.
To whoever has Hulu Plus Preview right now; can you guys please lookup if you can watch Fist of the North star right away? I heard Preview does not show every Hulu shows until they release it.[/QUOTE]

I'll try that when I get home

If you subscribe to PSN+ now would you still get access to any of the free or discounts that are from June? Or say you waited even longer do you get access to older stuff.

[quote name='J7.']If you subscribe to PSN+ now would you still get access to any of the free or discounts that are from June? Or say you waited even longer do you get access to older stuff.[/QUOTE]

No, just the stuff from the moment you sign up onwards (or maybe the current month?, but no more than that)

This week's update:

Deals
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped - $3.00
Super Street Fighter IV Avatar (35) Bundle - $4.99

Games
Critter Crunch
Syphon Filter - PSP/PS3
Kahoots - PSP/PS3

Seems like this may be the bulk of the August update since they removed the July games (minus Fieldrunners), but everything else is still there. Even the TikGames and Midway deals from the first week are still there. I'm not sure how permanent some of this stuff is, but I'd download everything you've missed just in case.

soo say once they remove syphon filter from the list do you lose it?

and if not when you d/l the game and say your subscription is up do you still have the right to the games?

is there enough decent games that are free downloads that are worth the price tag?

just trying to justify if i should get it or not...sorry if these questions have been answered

Those are all answered in the OP.

You will be able to download these games during the month they are available until the new selection replaces them.

Once downloaded, the games are yours to keep and play as long as you are a member of PlayStation Plus. If your subscription lapses and then you re-subscribe, the games you have already downloaded will reactivate, so you still have access to them. Additionally, if you delete one of the titles from your PS3, but decide you want to get it back, then you can re-download from the PlayStation Plus section of the PSN Store if the game is still there, or, if the game has expired from the PlayStation Plus section of the PSN Store, you can simply search for it on PS Store and download it again at no extra cost.
List of offerings: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7308393&postcount=1

bread's done
Back