PlayStation Plus - 3 Months for $18/1 Year for $50 - 8/24: New Games for September

wow a 2 week wait and thats all they put up for plus subscribers. if this is a sign of things to come i wont bother renewing.

[quote name='lokizz']wow a 2 week wait and thats all they put up for plus subscribers. if this is a sign of things to come i wont bother renewing.[/QUOTE]

I agree...

The update this week:

Deals

PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap - $5.24, Free for those that already own PixelJunk Racers
High Velocity Bowling - $5.00
Wipeout HD - Wipeout Fury - $7.99
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Uncharted: Eye of Indra Comic Bundle - $1.25

Qore
Qore Episode 27 - August 2010

Games
Aero Racer
Red Faction: Guerrilla - Free Game Trial - $19.99 Full Game

Themes
Nebula Tunnel

Wow, I really wish they'd give a list of what the plan to release by a couple months.

I just bought Wipeout's dlc last week. I would've liked to save those 2 bucks.

I think these changes would make PS Plus better:
1. $5 PSN credit when you join.
2. You keep all the games that you downloaded from the PSN store forever
3. Game of the month-During the current month, PS Plus members get to vote among a list of downloadable games. The chosen game will be revealed next month and released as free for PS Plus members for that month.
3. DLC of the month-During the current month, PS Plus members get to vote among a list of DLC. The chosen DLC will be revealed next month and released as free for PS Plus members for that month.
4. 10% discount off all items in the store.

[quote name='kryptonic']I did....

Personally... The initial stuff they released was what lured me in and felt that I got a pretty decent pull for only being the first month and figured in the next 15 months I should have more than my money's worth.

That being said... Since the initial stuff released there hasn't been anything that I've been to crazy about. I was assuming there would be a consistent release date of new material I could look forward to (I thought there would be some new stuff released for August and havent' seen anything yet). I also discounted the service because of the "keep games only as long as the subscription is good" and don't really care for that either. The discounts on games to buy have been quasi garbage in my opinion as well.

Now the survey was only what we think about it so far.... I'm still thinking there will be some more good months to come and not every month is going to have something that's going to peak everyones interest.

On a side note.... Does anyone know if/when they are releasing anything for the U.S. in August? I saw something but nothing official. I also saw something about what the U.K. is getting and not sure if that's what will be released here.[/QUOTE]

do u still have that e-mail if so can u forward it to [email protected]

[quote name='starmask2k3']where the betas at have not see any[/QUOTE]

Plus members had exclusive access to the Hulu Plus beta, as well as a one-week advance for the Kane and Lynch 2 demo. Nowhere did it say we were going to get betas every month so I don't know what else you expect considering it's only been about 6 weeks.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Plus members had exclusive access to the Hulu Plus beta, as well as a one-week advance for the Kane and Lynch 2 demo. Nowhere did it say we were going to get betas every month so I don't know what else you expect considering it's only been about 6 weeks.[/QUOTE]

i forgot about hulu plus beta because u have to pay for it

[quote name='starmask2k3']where the betas at have not see any[/QUOTE]

i bet Plus members are getting in the Killzone 3 beta. There have already been people finding other people playing what I am guessing is Killzone in alpha stage. just youtube it

Would you say that the service is worth it? I'm considering signing up for it, but I'm worried I might not get the full value of it...

[quote name='crzyboy88']Would you say that the service is worth it? I'm considering signing up for it, but I'm worried I might not get the full value of it...[/QUOTE]

eh could be could not be right now it depends on what you already have vs what you dont. it was for me since i didnt have critter crunch or wipeout already and i never would have played those minis if they werent free.

now with the scaling back to bi weekly and being kinda stingy with the free offerings i dont know. like someone else mentioned they need to let people know whats going to be available for that month ahead of time like letting us see whats coming for the next few months.

if i were you id wait till i saw something on psn+ that you dont have and really want then sign up for the service.

I'd say if you already missed the first two months of bait, the rest of your subscription will most likely be switch. So I'd wait till a month comes along that the offerings equal a significant saving compared to the $50 asking price before plunking down the cash.

Worst part is any time you buy something you have to wonder, am I screwing myself out of being able to get this free or cheaper later? There are so few Plus perks that if you don't get to take advantage of them it kinda kills it.

That said I just bought the Wipeout Fury add-on.

[quote name='defmonkey05']Wow, I really wish they'd give a list of what the plan to release by a couple months.

I just bought Wipeout's dlc last week. I would've liked to save those 2 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Having you not know is a fundamental part of their business plan with PS+. They give you a game for free, later put it's expansion on discount to get you to buy it, then you're either forced to continue to subscribe to PS+ or buy the original game, all in the name of profit for them...

They're not going to tell you what's upcoming because of that and because they want people to sign up earlier. They may also do stuff like offering DLC, themes, etc for free then put the game associated with it on discount later hoping it adds interest in to you buying it.

[quote name='crzyboy88']Would you say that the service is worth it? I'm considering signing up for it, but I'm worried I might not get the full value of it...[/QUOTE]

Also you need to consider how much stuff you would actually buy on discount. You would get some games at a cheap price, but you'd be spending more money...

[quote name='J7.']Having you not know is a fundamental part of their business plan with PS+. They give you a game for free, later put it's expansion on discount to get you to buy it, then you're either forced to continue to subscribe to PS+ or buy the original game, all in the name of profit for them...

They're not going to tell you what's upcoming because of that and because they want people to sign up earlier. They may also do stuff like offering DLC, themes, etc for free then put the game associated with it on discount later hoping it adds interest in to you buying it.

Also you need to consider how much stuff you would actually buy on discount. You would get some games at a cheap price, but you'd be spending more money...[/QUOTE]

Well, I've been thinking long about psn+ and the past 2 months the only things that have been free or on discount have been playstation exclusive/first party games. So, what I'm thinking about doing is not purchasing exclusive content and maybe get a 3rd party game here or there. And just wait and see.

That Scott Pilgrim game looks pretty good. I might get that in a couple weeks. Wouldn't that be a kick in the jimmy if that is a free game for Sept! :bomb:

[quote name='Access_Denied']Just curious, since PJ Racers 2 is free if you own PJ Racers 1, can I get 2 for free even if I buy 1 right now?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but this isn't PJ racers 2, just an add-on/expansion for the first I believe.

[quote name='defmonkey05']Well, I've been thinking long about psn+ and the past 2 months the only things that have been free or on discount have been playstation exclusive/first party games. So, what I'm thinking about doing is not purchasing exclusive content and maybe get a 3rd party game here or there. And just wait and see.

That Scott Pilgrim game looks pretty good. I might get that in a couple weeks. Wouldn't that be a kick in the jimmy if that is a free game for Sept! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

That is a good strategy. Someone also said you should wait until the month they have something you really really want.

[quote name='porieux']Worst part is any time you buy something you have to wonder, am I screwing myself out of being able to get this free or cheaper later? There are so few Plus perks that if you don't get to take advantage of them it kinda kills it.

That said I just bought the Wipeout Fury add-on.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm really trying to limit myself on buying the "discounted" stuff just because it is all I can get out of it this month. That is stuff I probably wouldn't have bought if it was just a regular PSN sale so I shouldn't buy it now just because it is the only benefit I'm getting. That plays right into Sony's strategy ;). I'm considering the bowling game though... But given that I passed on Super Stardust I probably ought to pass on it. I did buy Gauntlet II for $2.50 last month but that was probably a decent enough purchase for the price. My kids loved playing the first one on XBLA and I have fond memories of playing the original arcade versions during college.

So far my "benefit" over 2 months has been the following:

- Wipout HD (yeah, I actually didn't have this yet)
- Free expansions for Cuboid and that marble game I can't remember the name of. I've actually played part of the Cuboid expansion.
- The Warhawk jet pack expansion which my son makes use of
- One mildly interesting episode of Qore (last months - this month looks worthless as I have no interest in the games they are featuring)
- Gauntlet II for half off
- A couple of themes and avatars

I already had Critter Crunch and will probably never play any of the minis or PS1 games so even though I've downloaded most of them I don't even consider them as part of the benefit.

I probably value all of that at about a $10 value, tops (to me). I would never have bought Gauntlet II for $5 anyway and would have waited for a regular PSN sale so that is a wash. Qore/themes/avatars are nice but I'd never pay for them. So the $10 is for Wipeout and the free add-ons I've gotten. $40 to go over 13 months - but given that I've gotten nothing out of August's offerings, I'm not too hopeful I'll get much more than my money's worth back in the end.

dont forget the free dynamic themes those were prett decent for free. im still hoping we get joe danger for free or at least half off. like someone else mentioned you dont want to buy something and then have them turn around and have it at a discount next month or free. im also surprised they havent tossed the r&c dl game in yet.

[quote name='io']Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm really trying to limit myself on buying the "discounted" stuff just because it is all I can get out of it this month. That is stuff I probably wouldn't have bought if it was just a regular PSN sale so I shouldn't buy it now just because it is the only benefit I'm getting. That plays right into Sony's strategy ;). I'm considering the bowling game though... But given that I passed on Super Stardust I probably ought to pass on it. I did buy Gauntlet II for $2.50 last month but that was probably a decent enough purchase for the price. My kids loved playing the first one on XBLA and I have fond memories of playing the original arcade versions during college.

So far my "benefit" over 2 months has been the following:

- Wipout HD (yeah, I actually didn't have this yet)
- Free expansions for Cuboid and that marble game I can't remember the name of. I've actually played part of the Cuboid expansion.
- The Warhawk jet pack expansion which my son makes use of
- One mildly interesting episode of Qore (last months - this month looks worthless as I have no interest in the games they are featuring)
- Gauntlet II for half off
- A couple of themes and avatars

I already had Critter Crunch and will probably never play any of the minis or PS1 games so even though I've downloaded most of them I don't even consider them as part of the benefit.

I probably value all of that at about a $10 value, tops (to me). I would never have bought Gauntlet II for $5 anyway and would have waited for a regular PSN sale so that is a wash. Qore/themes/avatars are nice but I'd never pay for them. So the $10 is for Wipeout and the free add-ons I've gotten. $40 to go over 13 months - but given that I've gotten nothing out of August's offerings, I'm not too hopeful I'll get much more than my money's worth back in the end.[/QUOTE]

Wipeout was the big selling point for me as well. I always loved the games on the ps1 and didn't buy that game, because I was either broke or forgot about the sale. So, that was a plus in my eye. I also own Critter Crunch (that I bought on sale). I was kind of dissapointed that a game was offered that I already owned, but a bit glad that it's a really good puzzle game and needs some recognition. I've played through campaign on that game and all the bonus challenges. It's a great game. So, it's a double edge sword in the end.

Avatars and Themes I'm not that ecstatic about. I've had my ps3 for almost a year and still have the same avatar. And the only themes I'm interested in are dynamic themes and those MAG ones aren't really appealing in my eyes. The great thing about the ps3 is there's user created themes, so non-dynamic themes I'll download, but probably won't use.

I'm sorta in the same boat with psp minis. I've played Age of Zombies and thought it wasn't bad. I actually thought it was pretty funny and liked the music. But the other games I haven't played. Except for that tower defense game.... And in my eyes I just can't get into those type of games.

I still think the free psn game one would get every month, there should be a choice. A choice of three games would be perfect. There's less of a chance that everybody would have all three games. So the game you download from those three is yours as long as you have the service, but the other two are also discounted, by either 20-50%. So, if you don't have the other two you can still purchase those games at a cheaper price.

I still think Sony should start releasing a list of upcoming betas for psn+. There's a lot of great games coming out that deserves a beta for plus member without jumping through a lot of hoops on the internet. I also like the idea of 60 minute demos, but for newer games. I'm almost halfway done with Infamous (it sits on my backlog) and wasn't that impressed with RFG singleplayer, but liked the mutliplayer. Long story short, Older games shouldn't warrant a long demo if you can get it for under $20. Do it for games that would make you want to buy it this holiday season.

My 2 cents.

I already have Critter Crunch so this is a bit disappointing. Either list the free games a month ahead of time (and lose out on sale) or give us the option to pick from 2-3 games as many of you have said.

[quote name='lokizz']damn the 2 to 3 game choice option would be good to have i sholdhave put that in the survey.[/QUOTE]

I fully agree...

Not knowing what free games are coming are really holding me back from buying more.

New content coming next week! The month is shaping up to be pretty decent. Two PSN games, two PS1 classics, and a few minis. That's more than last month I believe.

Free Games
Mushroom Wars – FREE
2Xtreme – PS One – FREE
Vempires – mini – FREE
Early Access Game Demo
TerRover
Game Discounts
Soldner-X2: Final Prototype + Soldner-X: Himmelstrurmer Bundle (PlayStation Plus price $10.79, original price $17.99)
Soldner- X2 : Final Prototype (PlayStation Plus price $9.09, original price $12.99)

[quote name='ssjmichael']New content coming next week! The month is shaping up to be pretty decent. Two PSN games, two PS1 classics, and a few minis. That's more than last month I believe.

Free Games
Mushroom Wars – FREE
2Xtreme – PS One – FREE
Vempires – mini – FREE
Early Access Game Demo
TerRover
Game Discounts
Soldner-X2: Final Prototype + Soldner-X: Himmelstrurmer Bundle (PlayStation Plus price $10.79, original price $17.99)
Soldner- X2 : Final Prototype (PlayStation Plus price $9.09, original price $12.99)[/QUOTE]

i believe this may be the september offerings

[quote name='ssjmichael']New content coming next week! The month is shaping up to be pretty decent. Two PSN games, two PS1 classics, and a few minis. That's more than last month I believe.

Free Games
Mushroom Wars – FREE
2Xtreme – PS One – FREE
Vempires – mini – FREE
Early Access Game Demo
TerRover
Game Discounts
Soldner- X2 : Final Prototype (PlayStation Plus price $9.09, original price $12.99)[/QUOTE]

I hadn't actually heard of any of these games before, but upon looking it up. Mushroom wars looks like it could be pretty decent depending on how well it handles the RTS controls on a gamepad issues.

Also, the search indicated that the TerRover demo is part of August's Qore, so don't we already have it available right now?

[quote name='dusbbal2008']i believe this may be the september offerings[/QUOTE]

Dammit, if that's so, there's another wasted month :bomb:.

Like Critter Crunch before it, I bought Mushroom Wars during that last sale. They need to offer something that hasn't just been on sale recently! If this is truly the case, then I will really start regretting my PSN+ sub.

[quote name='lokizz']isnt the terrover demo out already ? it came with qore.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing... I played it over the weekend. It's ok... Nothing special.

Terrover is available via the latest Qore.

PSN+ new discounts are for next week. Going to grab Soldner X1/2 yay!

Mushroom Wars looks interesting. I'll download the demo soon and try it out.

If that is Sept. offerings, I'm kinda bummed out. I've been reading what the EU is getting for plus and was hoping Sam and Max would come to us as well.

I do think we're getting the short end of the stick on ps1 classics. 2xtreme? Really? I remember playing this game back in the day and I liked it a lot. I spent so many hours on that game. I bet it's going to be just like Rally Cross where time wasn't it's best friend when it aged.

[quote name='SnorE']mushroom wars 2 players? need some more games to play with my gf haha[/QUOTE]

why not get her to have a war with your own mushroom?

anyway....

so once my psn+ account has expired if i don't renew do i lose all my trophies i have received from that game or do i keep them as if i had rented the game?

can i download add-on data even though i dont have the original game?
example Cuboid add-on content is free but not the game however in the upcoming months they will prob add cuboid as a free game

[quote name='SnorE']can i download add-on data even though i don't have the original game?
example Cuboid add-on content is free but not the game however in the upcoming months they will prob add cuboid as a free game[/QUOTE]

On the games I've tried it: Yes, you can download the add-ons and the game later (disc or PSN) and they will be applied correctly. However you don't NEED to download them, just add them to the download list and even if they're no longer 'free' at the PSN store, you can always download them later when you get the game

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...-plus-discounted-playstation-protection-plan/

Sony is adding a PlayStation Protection plan option to the PS Store for purchase that PS+ people get 25% off ($44.99), which is the same price as the 1 year plan. Your PS3 needs to be under a year old to get the warranty.

Earlier this year, we introduced the PlayStation Protection Plan, an extended service plan for the PlayStation 3 and PSP system. This service was introduced to give gamers peace of mind by providing an additional one or two years of coverage on top of their one year limited manufacturer’s warranty. Some of the plan benefits include free shipping, no hidden fees or deductibles and utilization of OEM parts and service technicians…PS3 plans are now available for download directly from the PlayStation Store. However, in continuing our goal to provide PlayStation Plus subscribers with exclusive offerings and even more value to their entertainment experience on the PlayStation Network, we are now offering the PlayStation Protection Plan to subscribers for a discounted price.

PlayStation Plus subscribers will be able to purchase a two year PS3 plan for 25% off (PlayStation Plus price $44.99, original price $59.99) Considering the PS3 one year plan is $44.99, PLUS members get two years for the price of one! In order to qualify for any of the plans, your PlayStation 3 must still be within its one-year original manufacturer’s warranty.

We are happy to continue to offer new features to the PlayStation Plus subscribers. With a little less than three months in the books, PlayStation Plus continues to evolve giving gamers an excellent set of content and features for their PlayStation 3.

Also, it looks like PS+ members are getting invites to the Dead Nation beta.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back