PlayStation Plus - 3 Months for $18/1 Year for $50 - 8/24: New Games for September

[quote name='alongx']I'm just glad that online multiplayer is still free, because the services included here are worthless to me.[/QUOTE]
:applause: +1

Plus...$50 a year......:puke:

Maybe $20 a year and I'd pay for some added services n shit. But only if I could buy a subscription card at places like Gamestop, where I could trade in games I got cheap and get my subscription cards for next to nothing.:D

Now if they add in various tiers and one of them includes software BC that's 98-99% and it's NOT $50 for the year, then sign me up.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:applause: +1

Plus...$50 a year......:puke:

Maybe $20 a year and I'd pay for some added services n shit. But only if I could buy a subscription card at places like Gamestop, where I could trade in games I got cheap and get my subscription cards for next to nothing.:D

Now if they add in various tiers and one of them includes software BC that's 98-99% and it's NOT $50 for the year, then sign me up.[/QUOTE]

man i should have bet money on you mentioning bc lol. im sure you could pay for a subscription with a psn card.

What about us people who already have Qore? I still have 9 months left in my sub, has there been any mention of helping those people out?

[quote name='tlwizard']What about us people who already have Qore? I still have 9 months left in my sub, has there been any mention of helping those people out?[/QUOTE]

maybe they will switch your qore sub over to a psn pluss one or they could give you a discount to get psn +. damn it im just gonna go ahead and do it. to be able to get the free stuff from qore and whatever shit they toss into psn+ overall thats a pretty decent deal. btw when does psn+ start?

$50 a year doesn't sound too bad to me. I subscribe to Qore so it's really just another $25 a year for the extra stuff. It's worth it for me just to have the auto-update thing. There's nothing worse than trying to play a game you haven't played for a while only to find out there are five updates I need to install first.

The full trial thing is exciting because it means that there will be more full retail games available on PSN.

I'm wondering if those games will be available to everyone with Plus getting the exclusive trial or if the games themselves are also Plus exclusive.

I just don't see the benefit of buying into a subscription of Plus, because it just doesn't offer enough content or stuff to justify the $50 price, the same of Xbox Live.

With Xbox Live, you get to play online as well as get some special early demos and other crap. As a whole, XBL isn't worth $50 if you play your PS3 actively (as I do), but you do get access to playing on the biggest online community in the world.

On the PS3 though, you already get to play online on a huge community. Being able to play full games is cool and all, and while some people consider that to justify the price alone, you have to remember that most of the games that they offer for you to play for free will probably be on the Platnium Hits list or quite old.

I don't know, maybe I'm not looking at it the right way but I just don't think that Plus offers enough for me to pay $50. I get my online already, I don't need extra Avatars/Themes/Wallpapers that are worthless anyway, and I don't think the free full games trial is as great a deal as people think.

Granted, if this weren't all bundled it, it would be more expensive, but I find things like Avatars/Wallpapers/early demos is not worth as much as they are priced at/people think they are.

[quote name='vic_x51']...so now that discounted psn games are part of psn+ does that mean we won't be seeing psn games go on sale for 50% off for the non-plus people? (ex: Shooter was $9.99 but dropped to $4.99 for a week)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No.[/QUOTE]

Dammit, I didn't even know this was coming but I was looking in the PS3 forum to see if there was a new list of discounted PSN games as I hadn't seen one in a while. So now we lose those periodic sales? That sucks big time...

[quote name='iwannadie']
They need to offer off-site game save back ups and the ability to restore to a new ps3... I would pay for that service.[/QUOTE]

I frequently play on two PS3's so it would be nice to have saves centrally located or at least the ability to sync them like trophies!

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I just don't see the benefit of buying into a subscription of Plus, because it just doesn't offer enough content or stuff to justify the $50 price, the same of Xbox Live.

With Xbox Live, you get to play online as well as get some special early demos and other crap. As a whole, XBL isn't worth $50 if you play your PS3 actively (as I do), but you do get access to playing on the biggest online community in the world.[/QUOTE]

No way no how do I think XBL is worth $50. I play online so infrequently that if I actually had to pay $50 for it I wouldn't hesitate to dump it. BUT, through various deals and code giveaways I'm pretty much set for life (at least the life of the 360 ;)) on XBL subs at much less than $50 per year. If I have to pay for this PSN BS via the PS3 that means, at best, I can use PSN card money for it making it a slight discount (assuming I got those cards from GS after trading in games at a profit for example). I dunno - it would only be worth it to me if the PSN discounts were 2 or 3 times the volume that they have been so far and if they really were exclusive to this new service.

[quote name='io']I frequently play on two PS3's so it would be nice to have saves centrally located or at least the ability to sync them like trophies![/QUOTE]
I would've loved to have had a way to transfer ALL of my saves when I switched from my 40gb fat model PS3 to the slim last August. But apparently some companies who shall remain nameless (coughcoughEAcoughcough)decided to be a bunch of douchebags and make it so you couldn't copy save files without copying EVERYTHING on your PS3's HDD.:roll:

I understand that some companies may do that to prevent people from cheating and just copying someone else's save files and trying to use those to somehow get trophies(which I don't give a damn about anyway)they don't deserve, but for those of us who decided to 'upgrade' to a slim it meant having to restart a bunch of games.

Due to this, I never finished Mercs 2, which I really wanted to even with all of the glitches. So instead of that, I ended up just using cheat codes to nuke the game world repeatedly, which was actually ALOT more fun than the shittastic game ever was.:applause:

I'm still confused as to what free stuff you get to keep if your subscription expires.
It sounds like you get to keep the stuff you buy at a discount (duh), the free avatars, and game add-ons. But the free game a month will be gone if you let your subscription expire.

I put in an idea on the blog site (hasn't shown up yet) that said that you should be able to keep everything that you got for free for the previous year when you renew your subscription for the next year. I think that's more fair for $50 a year.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I would've loved to have had a way to transfer ALL of my saves when I switched from my 40gb fat model PS3 to the slim last August. But apparently some companies who shall remain nameless (coughcoughEAcoughcough)decided to be a bunch of douchebags and make it so you couldn't copy save files without copying EVERYTHING on your PS3's HDD.:roll:

I understand that some companies may do that to prevent people from cheating and just copying someone else's save files and trying to use those to somehow get trophies(which I don't give a damn about anyway)they don't deserve, but for those of us who decided to 'upgrade' to a slim it meant having to restart a bunch of games.

Due to this, I never finished Mercs 2, which I really wanted to even with all of the glitches. So instead of that, I ended up just using cheat codes to nuke the game world repeatedly, which was actually ALOT more fun than the shittastic game ever was.:applause:[/QUOTE]

It's not just EA, it's pretty much all of them. I hate having locked saves, I don't see the purpose of it. Is it suppose to stop me from getting a certain trophy or something? It seems all saves became locked when trophies were introduced.

Also, I agree with the person above on the free game trials, they'll probably just be old titles. If it was new or recent titles it would be something I might consider, but the first game they're doing this with is Infamous? I already played that and don't care to go back, it's the same with all those Qore game downloads, old titles that people have played and purchase. Some of the ideas are great, but it's just too expensive at $50 if everything is just going to be old content. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

[quote name='io']Dammit, I didn't even know this was coming but I was looking in the PS3 forum to see if there was a new list of discounted PSN games as I hadn't seen one in a while. So now we lose those periodic sales? That sucks big time...[/QUOTE]
Re-read the question.
"does that mean we won't be seeing psn games go on sale for 50% off for the non-plus people?"
"No." aka "we will be seeing psn games go on sale for 50% off for the non-plus people."

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I would've loved to have had a way to transfer ALL of my saves when I switched from my 40gb fat model PS3 to the slim last August. But apparently some companies who shall remain nameless (coughcoughEAcoughcough)decided to be a bunch of douchebags and make it so you couldn't copy save files without copying EVERYTHING on your PS3's HDD.:roll:
[/QUOTE]

Some don't let you copy saves even when you copy the ENTIRE HDD.... *cough Resident Evil 5 cough*

So fucking pissed at that. I had the HIGHEST difficulty to go, that's it... had 2/3rds of that done even, and BAM, PS3 disc drive shits out, backup the ENTIRE fuckING HDD, get it fixed... save was one that wouldn't transfer. It also ate my PS2 saves (bye bye Persona 3... there goes 100-some hours.)

If you're backing it up to another system, then locked saves don't transfer over unless you use the direct transfer option over ethernet cable. If it's to the same system, everything transfers over.

This might now be for everyone, but at least you have the option.

I'm going to hold out. I don't think this thing will take off and they'll throw something else "juicy" in the mix down the line (maybe that extended warranty they wanted me to pay $60 for in an email I received a couple of weeks ago).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Re-read the question.
"does that mean we won't be seeing psn games go on sale for 50% off for the non-plus people?"
"No." aka "we will be seeing psn games go on sale for 50% off for the non-plus people."[/QUOTE]

I thought maybe you meant it that way but it wasn't obvious - the "no" could have been "no discounts" ;) As in "I agree, no". But how do you know this? Did they say they would continue to offer discounts to non-plus people? If you were a little more descriptive in your answer maybe the confusion would have been avoided ;). Then what discounts are the offering to Plus subs - just more of them? If they continue with the same pattern of PSN title discounts as before I see absolutely no reason to pay for this. I don't need 1 hour "full" demos of games - seems utterly pointless to me.

[quote name='io']I thought maybe you meant it that way but it wasn't obvious - the "no" could have been "no discounts" ;) As in "I agree, no". But how do you know this? Did they say they would continue to offer discounts to non-plus people? If you were a little more descriptive in your answer maybe the confusion would have been avoided ;). Then what discounts are the offering to Plus subs - just more of them? If they continue with the same pattern of PSN title discounts as before I see absolutely no reason to pay for this. I don't need 1 hour "full" demos of games - seems utterly pointless to me.[/QUOTE]
Because the language used to describe it don't hint at them getting rid of sales to everyone else, which wouldn't make sense since they probably see the data for how much money they make from sales. It'll probably be more consistent sales with the way they describe them
"there will also be discounts available on loads of PlayStation Store content, just for members, so make the most of them as these will change each month as well"
. I can't see into the future, so I can't say how they will differ from the usual sales.

All of the information I have is the three main bits of info I've posted here from the OP, the EU Sony blog, and the US Sony blog. So feel free to read them so you can make an informed decision along with following this thread to see what those that do subscribe think about it.

[quote name='JMEPO']Wow, this is really stupid. I'll probably buy it.[/QUOTE]

you may be right.. I'm willing to give it a try and see if in a years time can they provide enough incentives to justify investing in a second year.

[quote name='Thomas96']you may be right.. I'm willing to give it a try and see if in a years time can they provide enough incentives to justify investing in a second year.[/QUOTE]

i agree. maybe there should be a post on this where people track how much they saved on psn+ at the end of a subscription year with sales/discounts/free items ect.

[quote name='jh6269']I'm still confused as to what free stuff you get to keep if your subscription expires.
It sounds like you get to keep the stuff you buy at a discount (duh), the free avatars, and game add-ons. But the free game a month will be gone if you let your subscription expire.

I put in an idea on the blog site (hasn't shown up yet) that said that you should be able to keep everything that you got for free for the previous year when you renew your subscription for the next year. I think that's more fair for $50 a year.[/QUOTE]

I think it'll work like this: As long as you're a PSN+ member those games will be active and playable. So say you don't renew right away but months later you do, those games you got for free in a previous year or month would be re-activated

The main reason they're doing this is so people don't just sign up temporarily for the hot giveaways and then cancel. The first month for instance they're giving away Wipeout HD and two PS1 classics among other things. A 3 month subscriotion is 17.99 which is obviously much cheaper than buying those games separately.

[quote name='smiggity']This is dumb. They should have just expanded Qore and charge 50 for that[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, but that's pretty much exactly what they did here.

For $50 (15 month sub) you get:

Qore Subscription (normally $25 a year)
Free Games ($50-$100 worth if not more)
Free themes and avatars
Free Beta invites
Discounts in the PSN store
and who knows what else (cross-game chat?).

So really you can think of it as an expanded Qore. I do wish it was a bit cheaper but they are including a lot of appealing things for the money.

[quote name='lokizz']i agree. maybe there should be a post on this where people track how much they saved on psn+ at the end of a subscription year with sales/discounts/free items ect.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea!

Damn, they made it sound like everybody would get 3 months for free starting June 29th but it's only 3 bonus months if you sub for 1 year?

PSN+ sounds good on paper but the fact that you only get games for as long as you're a member is total BS. They should just give freebies to people who buy 1 year subs and let them keep them. fuck Sony trying to control digital downloads.

EDIT* Qore is part of PSN+? I don't remember seeing that...

[quote name='Vinny']Damn, they made it sound like everybody would get 3 months for free starting June 29th but it's only 3 bonus months if you sub for 1 year?

EDIT* Qore is part of PSN+? I don't remember seeing that...[/QUOTE]

I thought it was obvious. Sony said you get 3 months free when subscribing for one year, or something like that. They also mentioned that you get Qore when you become a plus member. Not vice versa.

The freebies given with PSN+ leave once the sub is gone, but the discounted games with the PSN+ discount don't leave when purchased. If a lot of stuff gets discounted then this could be a great value if it constantly gives 20-50% off of a lot of games.

It's $50.

It doesn't kiss and it doesn't do weird shit.

I dunno, I might just try it for a year. But I would like to see sub codes or cards on Amazon for a chance at a discount.

Discounts are fine but the fact that the first game there offering most will already have seems silly. Also, I don't want to sign up for anything where I loose my content when I end it. This is like subscribing to a magazine and then someone coming and taking them away when you no longer subscribe.

I'll try it for 1 year.

See if the discounts are worth it, see if the free games are worth it, if not I'll cancel after. I imagine the first year the discounts will be good, so then people start thinking "Oh man, I gotta stay on this Playstation Plus account!"

[quote name='Goemar']Discounts are fine but the fact that the first game there offering most will already have seems silly. Also, I don't want to sign up for anything where I loose my content when I end it. This is like subscribing to a magazine and then someone coming and taking them away when you no longer subscribe.[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause:Exactly. Free games should remain free to own and re-download(if you need to)for as long as you have a PS3 and not be determined by whether or not you resubscribed or not.

What happens if you let the sub lapse for a month, then resubscribe? Too bad. You're out of luck and can't get those games back.

Every free game that's been given away on PSN that I've downloaded is still in my download list for me to re-download if I want to. So why should this be any different?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:applause::applause:Exactly. Free games should remain free to own and re-download(if you need to)for as long as you have a PS3 and not be determined by whether or not you resubscribed or not.

What happens if you let the sub lapse for a month, then resubscribe? Too bad. You're out of luck and can't get those games back.

Every free game that's been given away on PSN that I've downloaded is still in my download list for me to re-download if I want to. So why should this be any different?[/QUOTE]

Do you know how the subscription will work? Because I'm guessing you don't. Can you guarantee that if 2 months pass by and you re-sign with PSN+ that those games aren't also re-activated? No? Oh okay then.

Also please explain this to me. How does Sony stop people from getting at least $30-$40 worth of games and other stuff for $17.99? If someone was interested in buying Wipeout HD and those PS1 games being given away for free, then it would be much cheaper to get them by signing up for a 3 month sub. People will obviously do this whenever they see a game they want that's cheaper by subscribing. Do you honestly think it makes sense for Sony to make it so easy to exploit their subscription service just to take advantage of those select months when they have great offers? It wouldn't make any sense from a business perspective.

It's easy to bitch, but there's very little thinking involved when you do.

It's obvious that the main reason for such a decision is to stop people from exploiting it. Would still be nice if at the end of the subscription you could pay 'the difference' instead of having to pay full for the game. Of course this might be the case and we yet don't know.

Not sure if you read the OP, Cheapest, but here's some warning of what you'll be getting tomorrow:

*1 Users need to install PS3 system software version 3.40, which will be released on June 22nd, to enjoy PlayStation Plus.

Nothing in the PSN+ details have really enticed me.
-Gamesharing is way better
-Hardly any betas have been on the ps3 that justify the cost of this thing.
-Game demos up to one hour? Lame, thats like playing the tutorial.
-Qore? People upload that shit on youtube anyways...

If this included like free movie or tv show streaming, that would put me over the edge...So far nothing in this package is remotely worth even 10 dollars!

[quote name='gomikeoh']So far nothing in this package is remotely worth even 10 dollars![/QUOTE]

Wipeout HD sells for 19.99
Fieldrunners is $6.99
Age of Zombies is $4.99
Rally Cross is $5.99

And that's just the first month of the subscription. Think about how much content will be provided in the following 14 months of a $50 subscription. I don't know if I'm going to subscribe but no doubt people who do will get their money's worth and then some.

[quote name='jh6269']I'm still confused as to what free stuff you get to keep if your subscription expires.

I put in an idea on the blog site (hasn't shown up yet) that said that you should be able to keep everything that you got for free for the previous year when you renew your subscription for the next year. I think that's more fair for $50 a year.[/QUOTE]

Ok everyone, my idea is up on the Sony blog. Please go vote for it (or vote against it if you're one of those people who don't like to get what you pay for).

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2010/06/21/psn-bonus-content-permanent-upon-renewal/

I think it's a better deal if you get to keep the free games that you are entitled to download during your subscription. I think it's fair that you would get to keep them permanently after you renew your subscription for the next year. I think if you were a subscriber, this idea would give you an incentive to renew--because you actually have something to gain if you resubscribe.

details details details

i want to know what PS1 games I can play throughout my subscription, i want to know what betas will be offered, and i want to know what content and trials will be made available to me.

right now this is just annoying =/

[quote name='panzerfaust']details details details

i want to know what PS1 games I can play throughout my subscription, i want to know what betas will be offered, and i want to know what content and trials will be made available to me.

right now this is just annoying =/[/QUOTE]

Do you know every sale or promotion that happens on XBL Gold a year in advance?

bread's done
Back