PlayStation Plus - 3 Months for $18/1 Year for $50 - 8/24: New Games for September

Well just because you don't like the games doesn't make it a poor offer. I already have Wipeout and the other stuff doesn't interest me, so I'm going to pass for now and observe PSN+ from the sidelines -- but I'm not going to bash Sony for putting up an offer.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Well just because you don't like the games doesn't make it a poor offer. I already have Wipeout and the other stuff doesn't interest me, so I'm going to pass for now and observe PSN+ from the sidelines -- but I'm not going to bash Sony for putting up an offer.[/QUOTE]
It's not a poor offer for those who want some of the stuff they're offering and it is quite the decent deal, but the only thing that would irk me if I paid for it is them deactivating the content I've downloading during my subscription if I don't resubscribe.

To me that's just bullshit. EGM, Game Informer and all of the other magazine companies haven't come to my house to take back old issues after I got them(or the innumerable Playstation Magazine demo discs I had), so why should Sony make all of the content you get during your paid subscription unusable unless you keep subscribing?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's not a poor offer for those who want some of the stuff they're offering and it is quite the decent deal, but the only thing that would irk me if I paid for it is them deactivating the content I've downloading during my subscription if I don't resubscribe.

To me that's just bullshit. EGM, Game Informer and all of the other magazine companies haven't come to my house to take back old issues after I got them(or the innumerable Playstation Magazine demo discs I had), so why should Sony make all of the content you get during your paid subscription unusable unless you keep subscribing?[/QUOTE]
PSN+ subscription =/= magazine subscription. You keep making that analogy but it doesn't really make sense.

Let's say you paly WoW, then after a few months you decide that you don't wanna pay anymore. Should you still be able to play once you stop paying? I'm not saying I like what they're doing, I'd like to be able to keep all the stuff, but I can certainly see why they're doing it this way.

[quote name='Zerok']PSN+ subscription =/= magazine subscription. You keep making that analogy but it doesn't really make sense.

Let's say you paly WoW, then after a few months you decide that you don't wanna pay anymore. Should you still be able to play once you stop paying? I'm not saying I like what they're doing, I'd like to be able to keep all the stuff, but I can certainly see why they're doing it this way.[/QUOTE]
Except that I would never play WoW since I've seen my buddy and his brother in law playing it and the interface is not to my liking. And why doesn't the magazine subscription to the PSN+ subscription analogy make any sense?

I had a long term subscription to Playstation Magazine back in the day. I still have many of those demo discs they included with the magazines and I could still thumb through the old magazines if I didn't donate them to Salvation Army. I let my subscription to the magazine lapse yet I was still able to use all of the content that I paid for during my time subscribing to it.

So why should any of the "free" games they're supposedly giving you during your subscription be taken away if you let the subscription lapse? That's a ripoff, to say that 'this is free.....but ONLY if you keep paying for it'. So let's say that over 2-3 years of subscribing they offer only 2-5 things for "free" you really want, but they're still charging you the full price for the subscription and if you decide not to renew those things you overpaid for over, those 2-3 years are locked out.

It's not right imo. Essentially they're holding your ability to continue using these games they're giving you "free" at ransom until you pony up the cash for another year of renting them via the subscription bs.

in the end its 50 bucks for 15 months worth of psn+. i know plenty of us here drop more than that on all kinds of shit you cant keep. im not happy with not being able to keep some games but i think in the long run the service is worth it at least to try out for 15 months.

I'm now wondering about Push demos. Will these be demos that are automatically downloaded each month, will there be a setting for this and will it now which games/demo I already have and not download them?

I'd rather not have some demos auto download and install then just have to go in and delete them.

The magazine analogy doesn't apply because with PSN+ you are paying a subscription to an online service where the content has DRM. The DRM for the digital media in this case prevents you from owning a physical copy of it.

A magazine subscription is different because you are not paying for an intangible service with DRM, you actually are paying for a physical copy of the media. The publisher is not going to take back the physical copies if you cancel your subscription.

There is nothing that exactly compares to it, because digital subscriptions are their own thing. Although, if you really must, you could say it's like paying membership to a gym. You can use the facilities as long as you pay for the membership, but once you cancel, you're done.

Again, no one is saying they like or agree with DRM in online services, but this is how it is. You can subscribe to it or not. The choice is yours.

If you don't like paying gym memberships, you can buy your own Soloflex. If you don't like the PSN+ service, you can buy the games to own them outright.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except that I would never play WoW since I've seen my buddy and his brother in law playing it and the interface is not to my liking. And why doesn't the magazine subscription to the PSN+ subscription analogy make any sense?

I had a long term subscription to Playstation Magazine back in the day. I still have many of those demo discs they included with the magazines and I could still thumb through the old magazines if I didn't donate them to Salvation Army. I let my subscription to the magazine lapse yet I was still able to use all of the content that I paid for during my time subscribing to it.

So why should any of the "free" games they're supposedly giving you during your subscription be taken away if you let the subscription lapse? That's a ripoff, to say that 'this is free.....but ONLY if you keep paying for it'. So let's say that over 2-3 years of subscribing they offer only 2-5 things for "free" you really want, but they're still charging you the full price for the subscription and if you decide not to renew those things you overpaid for over, those 2-3 years are locked out.

It's not right imo. Essentially they're holding your ability to continue using these games they're giving you "free" at ransom until you pony up the cash for another year of renting them via the subscription bs.[/QUOTE]
Because with this you aren't paying for a physical product, that's why your analogy makes no sense!

And I really don't care wheather or not you play WoW, I was comparing the subscriptions to each other. Not that they're the same, but it's the closest thing I could think of. You stop paying for WoW, you can't play. You stop paying for PSN+, you can't play the stuff that being a member entitled you to play.

And I realize that I haven't said weather or not I'll get it. I will bite, so I can get the extra 3 months, then see how it goes after that runs out.

Edit: gunm's gym membership analogy makes more sense than my WoW one.

[quote name='Zerok']Because with this you aren't paying for a physical product, that's why your analogy makes no sense!
[/QUOTE]

When you buy a game on a disk(or whatever physical media) you are not buying the game. You are buying a license that allows you to play the game. The physical media is just a delivery system. Replace a physical disc with the bandwidth that it takes to allow you to download the game and you are back to paying for a license to play the game.

Whether the terms of the license afford you the ability to play for a set amount of time, duration of a subscription plan or life of the delivery media, it is up to the developers to choice and the consumer to agree to or not. You never own the game in any situation, only a license to play it.

It doesn't matter if the magazine analogy is accurate to PSN+ or not, it's the fact that it's a better deal for subscribers if you get to keep the games as a perk of being a subscriber. Many of these games have all sold all they're going to sell, it really costs Sony nothing to give them away. They can make $50 when they otherwise wouldn't.

I just don't get why anyone would not want to get to keep the free games--what the hell is wrong with you people?!

[quote name='jh6269']It doesn't matter if the magazine analogy is accurate to PSN+ or not, it's the fact that it's a better deal for subscribers if you get to keep the games as a perk of being a subscriber. Many of these games have all sold all they're going to sell, it really costs Sony nothing to give them away. They can make $50 when they otherwise wouldn't.

I just don't get why anyone would not want to get to keep the free games--what the hell is wrong with you people?![/QUOTE]
:applause::applause:

[quote name='jh6269']I just don't get why anyone would not want to get to keep the free games--what the hell is wrong with you people?![/QUOTE]
I don't believe anyone here has said that they wouldn't like to keep the content once the subscription runs out.

[quote name='Zerok']I don't believe anyone here has said that they wouldn't like to keep the content once the subscription runs out.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not directly, but a few people have pretty much questioned how dare someone think it's not such a great deal if you don't get to keep the free games.

In my mind, I don't see the free games thing as part of the service itself; I think that's what is rubbing me the wrong way. When PS+ was first talked about, Sony was saying that if you subscribe to the service, you get a bunch of perks plus some free gifts, including games, etc. But then, if you can't use the games if you let your subscription expire, then it really wasn't free anyway, because you did not own it.

I'm probably going to get it, but I think a lot of people are turned off by the fact that you really don't get free games, you're pretty much renting them for 4+ a month (not counting the 1-time temporary 3 free months).

And my idea would really be worth it for a lot of people and also incentivize them to renew if they knew that they could keep the games if they plop down another $50 (or lose them forever).

And, like I said in my previous post, many of these games have all sold all they're going to sell (or at least hit their peak), it really costs Sony nothing to give them away with a subscription. They can make $50 or $100 when they otherwise wouldn't.

I am probably going to purchase but only because I dont want to miss anything * not likely going to happen *

but also I want to sign up incase they do something special for people bought it at release when the 2nd year comes around maybe we get a discount on a year.

I've decided to sign up because it's essentially free due to all the Sony rewards credit I have, and the fact that so far I don't own any of the games they're offering so far. Technically I'll never own them but aside from Wipeout HD I don't really see myself going back and replaying them after I've completed them.

I understand the reason Sony is doing it this way (unlike some here) but they probably wouldn't lose if they remove this restriction. The main reason the restriction is in place is to stop people from just buying a 3 month subscription to DL all the stuff and then quitting. But here's the thing. Say in 2 or 3 months, they offer something else that's equally enticing to the "3 monthers", those same people will potentially be tempted again and put down another 17.99 for 3 months. And so forth. So you can see in a way that Sony could still get such subscribers to still pay a good amount for possibly even less than a year of actual service.

Perhaps Sony did think about that and figured such people wouldn't sign up again later on. They're playing it quite safe. I think the decision can be reversed anytime in the future. If they decide we can keep the games, they just have to make an update that unlocks all PSN+ games and they'll be there to keep or DL whenever. I see that happening once they get more feedback.

That's what I don't get about removing gifts for free if you stop doing the service. If I understand it correctly, each month you get access to some free content and then at the end of the month it's no longer offered for free for download (even on your own downloaded list) and a different set of content is free. Then when the service lapses, any content you received for free no longer functions. If, let's say, each month free content was added but the previous month's remained free, forming an ever expanding catalog of free content then I could see their point. If you make it free forever from the store for PSN+ a person could wait several months, buy the minimum months possible, and download a crap ton of free stuff, then let the service lapse.

However, that's not the case, you have to have had 12 months of subscription to get 12 months worth of free content. I guess it must just be an effort to prevent people from picking and choosing to only subscribe to PSN+ on months when there isn't sucky content, but this is partially guarded against since the smallest block you can purchase in N/A is 90 days.

Read the post on the EU blog. You can download the free stuff anytime. And I love it how people talk about the "value" of this. Value is relative guys! To people like me who place Zero value on PS1 games, avatars and Themes its a rip off.

*4 Users will continue to enjoy games with previously saved data. Any trophies earned during the trial will also be unlocked.

Hmmm, PS+ full game trials don't unlock trophies eh? No deal... None of the "+" really worth anything IMO. Except maybe the exclusive savings for particular PSN titles. I would imagine titles in the DEAL forum something like this:

OP: PJ Shooter Encore $1 for PS+ members

CAG1: $1 for PJSE? Sweet, in!
CAG2: Hey, it didn't work for me
CAG3: WTF? It's not $1...
CAG1: You have to be a PS+ member
CAGX: Shaq-fu, this is no deal, wrong forum!

For anyone that was concerned about losing all their content if you don't re-subscribe right away after your subscription ends, it's exactly as I http://[URLpredicted it would be:
Once downloaded, these games are yours to keep and play as long as you are a member of PlayStation Plus. If your subscription lapses and then you re-subscribe the games you have already downloaded will reactivate, so you still have access to them. Additionally, if you delete one of these titles from your PS3 but decide you want to get it back then you can re-download from the Plus section of the Store if the games is still there, or, if the game has expired from the Plus section of the Store, then you can simply search for it on the Store and download it again at no extra cost.

[quote name='guardian_owl']That's what I don't get about removing gifts for free if you stop doing the service. If I understand it correctly, each month you get access to some free content and then at the end of the month it's no longer offered for free for download (even on your own downloaded list) and a different set of content is free. Then when the service lapses, any content you received for free no longer functions. If, let's say, each month free content was added but the previous month's remained free, forming an ever expanding catalog of free content then I could see their point. If you make it free forever from the store for PSN+ a person could wait several months, buy the minimum months possible, and download a crap ton of free stuff, then let the service lapse.

However, that's not the case, you have to have had 12 months of subscription to get 12 months worth of free content. I guess it must just be an effort to prevent people from picking and choosing to only subscribe to PSN+ on months when there isn't sucky content, but this is partially guarded against since the smallest block you can purchase in N/A is 90 days.[/QUOTE]

You have to stop thinking of it as free gifts and think of it as a perk that goes along with the service. They are not gifting you games to have, they are allowing you free access to those games as part of your PSN+ subscription. I'm not out to endorse the + service and haven't decided 100% if I am going to pay for it. However, I don't look at it the same way everyone else seems to be when it comes to the free game part of the service. No one is saying here's some free games and oh by the way they won't work if you cancel the service. They are saying here's some games to play for free during your paid service.

Some cell phone companies offer free ring tones but if you cancel the service you loose those ring tones. Or, compare to netflix with their streaming movie ability. I know people that pay for netflix to have the movies sent but also enjoy the streaming movie ability as well. Streaming the movies is just an added perk that goes with having the paid service.

Can someone explain to me why people would complain over the content that PSN+ offers, but won't complain when Xbox Live costs the same amount of money and does not offer this type of content? I don't get it.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=psplus_062410

I don't really get the complaints so far either. The service is optional, does not change the current PSN experience, and offers a 3 month sub for those folks who may not see "value" unless the game they don't own or want is listed. If you don't like what they offer the first couple of months...don't subscribe! If you see something a particular month you want, just do the 3 month sub! Or don't sub at all! Complaints for a service no one is obligated to buy are kind of useless, IMO.

Giving away Little Big Planet is a nice little bonus, just a shame that it's the original that I would suspect nearly every PS3 owner interested in PSN+ already has LBP though.

From the looks of things, the PSN+ isn't appealing at all at the same price as the superior XBL service and when I can do everything I want to do with PS3 online for free (download the occasional PSN title and play games online). The free PSN games could potentially be cool, but I don't think I have ever spent close to $50 on PSN titles ever.

[quote name='Sigma']Giving away Little Big Planet is a nice little bonus, just a shame that it's the original that I would suspect nearly every PS3 owner interested in PSN+ already has LBP though.

From the looks of things, the PSN+ isn't appealing at all at the same price as the superior XBL service and when I can do everything I want to do with PS3 online for free (download the occasional PSN title and play games online). The free PSN games could potentially be cool, but I don't think I have ever spent close to $50 on PSN titles ever.[/QUOTE]

That's the great thing about the PSN(+) experience. It does everything you personally need for free. Now for people wanting more from their PSN experience they can pay for that additional content with the PSN+.

I don't think you can accurately compare XBL Gold to PSN+, since you have to pay MS to get same functionality as just regular PSN. Sony really doesn't know what they are doing with PSN+ (hence why they say it is an evolving service), but they need to recoup at least some money from regular PSN or it's not going to survive. If PSN+ is the answer and lets me keep what I already get free on PSN, then I'm all for it.

PSN+ wasn't designed to compete with XBL Gold so it's stupid to compare it that way. It's designed for people who purchase from the PSN Store a lot. People who buy tons of games, themes, avatars, DLC and so forth.

Considering the free version of PSN is let's say 3/4ths of what XBL Gold is in terms of feature-set (maybe closer), I wouldn't be bragging about how "superior" that $50 service is. It'd be sad if it weren't.

[quote name='Sigma']Giving away Little Big Planet is a nice little bonus, just a shame that it's the original that I would suspect nearly every PS3 owner interested in PSN+ already has LBP though.

From the looks of things, the PSN+ isn't appealing at all at the same price as the superior XBL service and when I can do everything I want to do with PS3 online for free (download the occasional PSN title and play games online). The free PSN games could potentially be cool, but I don't think I have ever spent close to $50 on PSN titles ever.[/QUOTE]

Dude, how is XBL Gold superior to PSN+? You don't get ANYTHING from XBL, just the 'right' to play online, no games, not even crappy avatar/theme stuff. Sure, you may say that PSN+ isn't too good (because it isn't) but it's definitely better that XBL who are charging you for something that should be free

At least on PSN+ you get the scheduled download thingie (which is a major sale point for me) and at least one free game a month isn't anything to complain about, if you add the exclusive discounts (assuming they aren't for crappy PS1 titles) and exclusive DLC it makes it look even better (not $50 worth, but at least something worth paying for)

Instead of the random free games, they should allow you to get one PSN game (up to X value, i.e. $15, and one Mini or PS1 game per month of your choosing) that way at least you cna guarantee that you'd get a game you actually want to play

The major complaint about PSN+ is that the service ends up offering content that the user already owns or does not care about. Most of here have bought PSN titles and probably own a lot more than one. It's something that is only really going be addressed over time as new content is added and as Sony thinks up new ways to make PSN+ unique as a pay service.

Luckily, Sony is a multi-media company and can offer up a lot of different things. Could we see PSN+ incorporate a VOD rental or online TV service? Could we see them integrate SOE MMO services into it? I dunno, but there are possibilities.

i dont so if we get that free to keep im happy. ive always kind of wanted to play lbp but not so much that i wanted to buy it. kinda seems like theyre going to start putting more ps3 games up for dl on psn.

[quote name='lokizz']i dont so if we get that free to keep im happy. ive always kind of wanted to play lbp but not so much that i wanted to buy it. kinda seems like theyre going to start putting more ps3 games up for dl on psn.[/QUOTE]

Actually this is what got me more excited about the PSN+ announcement. ure having Infamous on the hard drive isn't nothing to write home about, but having games like Modnation Racers, LBP or (specially) MAG would be freaking awesome

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/24/playstation-plus-your-questions-answered/

New details have been revealed for PlayStation Plus:
With that, here are the basics of the new subscription service that lives on top of the current PlayStation Network:
  • The current PSN features will remain free. We are still very committed to PSN as a free comprehensive entertainment service and are certainly not planning on reducing this service following the launch of PlayStation Plus.
  • PlayStation Plus is an evolving service and the features included at launch will be:
    • Games
    • PS Store Discounts
    • Exclusive offers on select demos, betas and early purchases
    • Full Game Trial
    • Automatic Downloads
    (More info on these below)
  • PlayStation Plus can be purchased through PlayStation Store on PS3 as a one-year package or a three-month package. The three-month package is available for $17.99 and the one-year package will be available for $49.99. We will also be offering three additional bonus months for free if you purchase the 1-year package — that’s 15 months total for $49.99.
  • Payment is a one-time fee for either package and can be purchased with any of the current PSN Store payment methods – credit card or PSN Cards.
Here are more details on the features of PlayStation Plus:

Games & Special Offers: As a subscriber, you can expect to get your hands on free monthly PSN games, minis and PS One Classics from the PSN Store. You will be able to download these games during the month they are available until the new selection replaces them.

Once downloaded, the games are yours to keep and play as long as you are a member of PlayStation Plus. If your subscription lapses and then you re-subscribe, the games you have already downloaded will reactivate, so you still have access to them. Additionally, if you delete one of the titles from your PS3, but decide you want to get it back, then you can re-download from the PlayStation Plus section of the PSN Store if the game is still there, or, if the game has expired from the PlayStation Plus section of the PSN Store, you can simply search for it on PS Store and download it again at no extra cost.

Each month there will be dynamic themes, premium avatars and premium game elements/add-ons for you to download and many will be exclusive to PlayStation Plus members only. These are yours to keep forever once you have downloaded them.

PlayStation Plus subscribers will also be given exclusive PlayStation Store discounts each month that are above and beyond the current PSN Store discounts available to everyone. These discounts will range from 20% to 50%, and anything you buy with these is yours to keep and enjoy forever.

Finally, wherever possible we’ll be making sure that members are included in selected demos and beta trials before they go live to everyone else, so you can be the one to tell all your friends about the next big game they ‘must’ get.

Subscribers will get hundreds of dollars of value through the year and, in the first month alone, will receive more than $50 worth of content.

Full Game Trial: Each month we will be offering members the chance to download full games and try them out for a period of time (one hour, unless otherwise stated). After the game trial is complete, simply purchase the game to carry on where you left off. This is a unique way to trial the full game experience and means you don’t have to be restricted to certain levels/game modes when you test out a game.

The games in Full Game Trial will become available to all PS Store users to purchase, but only PlayStation Plus members will have the chance to ‘try before you buy’.

The other great thing about this feature is that you can continue from where you were at the end of the trial period if you decide to buy the game. All game saves and trophies earned during the trial will be unlocked and will show up on your trophy list and your trophy level when you purchase the game. You don’t even have to re-download the game, just purchase and go back to the XMB to access the game.

Automatic Download: Subscribers will be able to set their PS3 to wake up from standby at any time of the day or night, download and install any game updates for the games you have been playing so you don’t have to think about it. Also, select demos and videos will be pushed to your PS3 ready to go. System software updates will also download automatically (manual install still required) and then the PS3 will turn itself off again.

Game updates and demos will also automatically install and the next time you turn on your PS3 you will see a brief on-screen message letting you know what has been downloaded and updated.

Here are some more answers to frequently asked questions from the last blog post:

• Cross-game voice chat is a feature we know our passionate user base has asked for and we’ll continue to look at as a viable offering for the PlayStation Network.
  • You need to be the master account holder on the PS3 and be over 18 to purchase PlayStation Plus, but other accounts on that PS3 will be able to play the games you download for as long as you are a subscriber.
  • The “free” games you can download each month are yours to keep for as long as you are a subscriber.
  • PlayStation Plus is for PS3 owners as subscribership can only be purchased on the PSN Store. However, some of the content – minis and PS One Classics – available each month will also be playable on your PSP if you have one. Download them on the PS3 and transfer to your PSP, or download directly from the PSP Store or Media Go for PSP.
  • PlayStation Plus is a continually evolving service and we are always working on identifying new partnerships, developing new features and providing new content that our users want. So thanks again for all your comments and questions and please continue to offer more ideas at PlayStation.Blog Share.

[quote name='erequena']Dude, how is XBL Gold superior to PSN+? You don't get ANYTHING from XBL, just the 'right' to play online, no games, not even crappy avatar/theme stuff. Sure, you may say that PSN+ isn't too good (because it isn't) but it's definitely better that XBL who are charging you for something that should be free

At least on PSN+ you get the scheduled download thingie (which is a major sale point for me) and at least one free game a month isn't anything to complain about, if you add the exclusive discounts (assuming they aren't for crappy PS1 titles) and exclusive DLC it makes it look even better (not $50 worth, but at least something worth paying for)

Instead of the random free games, they should allow you to get one PSN game (up to X value, i.e. $15, and one Mini or PS1 game per month of your choosing) that way at least you cna guarantee that you'd get a game you actually want to play[/QUOTE]
That's the thing with Plus it doesn't do much to improve the online gaming experience it's a way for people who buy a lot from the PSN store like you said. I am not one of those people, but if they were to offer games like Joe Danger for free with the service then I will sign-up in heartbeat. I just don't see the freebies being anything great and I could care less about PS1 games, since I have a huge library of them already and the ones on PSN don't offer trophies.

It's really whatever though, I am just pretty neutral on the whole Plus service until I can check it out first hand.

For the record though you get a superior online experience with XBL that is integrated into every single game on the console. You also get a way nicer interface and a ton of exclusive XBLA titles that aren't on the PS3.

On a side note, Sony should have put Plus out years ago instead of messing around with Home, which I think we can all agree is a big waste of time and does nothing to improve the online experience with PS3.

IBIamthecheapestgamer says "Automatic downloading of updates should be for all users, not just PSN+"

(Only because that's true)

The console already automatically checks for an update when you turn it on, and it takes all of five seconds to initiate the update manually. :/

[quote name='Sigma']For the record though you get a superior online experience with XBL that is integrated into every single game on the console. You also get a way nicer interface and a ton of exclusive XBLA titles that aren't on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

False. I have had both XBL and PSN, and this crap I read about one having better online experience then the other is just that....crap. It's fabrication started by Microsoft and Sony fanboys. Neither one can claim they have better online gaming, better servers, or less lag. So, what exactly is it about XBL that gives it this supposed "Superior Online Experience"? Or, from the other perspective, what is it that gives PSN said "Superior Online Experience"?

Secondly, as for the interface. That's merely a matter of opinion on your part. Myself, I prefer the XMB over that crap they call the Dashboard. Cheapest claims the XMB is full of useless stuff, I fear the day he ever gets a glance at the Xbox Dashboard then.

Lastly, as for the XBLA exclusives. PSN also has it's own exclusives, so that's pretty much a wash.

The XBL Gold online multiplayer process is a lot more polished and streamlined than PSN, but considering PSN is free, I would expect nothing less for $50/year retail.

[quote name='gunm']The console already automatically checks for an update when you turn it on, and it takes all of five seconds to initiate the update manually. :/[/QUOTE]

One of the PSN+ features that Frisky just listed says you can set it to wake up from standby and check for updates to download and install at any time of day. While not my biggest pet peeve, this would be nice to make available to everyone.. sometimes downloads from the playstation servers aren't all that quick and it's embarrassing when I have people over and I have to say "This will just take a minute to update"

The regular update and install method makes cheapest want to set fire to and punt a bag of puppies and kittens into a lake.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I thought the update was going to release on the 22nd ?[/QUOTE]

no i think its the 29th.

[quote name='QiG']One of the PSN+ features that Frisky just listed says you can set it to wake up from standby and check for updates to download and install at any time of day. While not my biggest pet peeve, this would be nice to make available to everyone.. sometimes downloads from the playstation servers aren't all that quick and it's embarrassing when I have people over and I have to say "This will just take a minute to update"

The regular update and install method makes cheapest want to set fire to and punt a bag of puppies and kittens into a lake.[/QUOTE]

It really sucks to have people over and I want to pop in a game and start playing only to see I need an update. As you said sometimes the speeds are just a joke and it takes forever. It would be one thing if I could download the update in the background and go on to play a different game. Instead the ps3 is crippled during the process.

The ability(well at least download) to update Any game while I'm not around is awesome.

Well, I hope at least that the free games you download are also offered at a deep discount for buying them permanently. I have a PS Rewards Visa card, and I buy a crap load of games for free with my points, so this service will definitely stretch my free rewards dollars further. Oh well, we'll see, I'm signing up but hopefully if enough other people don't subscribe, Sony will probably sweeten the deal.

That's just for system updates. Those don't need to be done in order to play games.

The game updates are the real pain. Those kinds of patches take eons comapred to game updates over XBL.

50 a year for a free crap title of their choosing. I can download a full game to try it but i only get to play it for one hour... thats pretty much how trials are working anyways, free themes that mean nothing to me... discounts because I ALREADY PAID YOU 50 BUCKS?

yeah sounds like a deal to me.

[quote name='Spyder187']... discounts because I ALREADY PAID YOU 50 BUCKS?

yeah sounds like a deal to me.[/QUOTE]

It depends on how much PSN stuff you purchase.

The sub is a little over $4 month. They're going to have multiple 50% off or whatever discount on titles every month. Sure, some of that $4/mo is going to pad that discount so it's less of a discount, but how much is going to be up to you and your spending habits. You're not just "paying for the extra discounts".

It's pretty simple to me. You buy or want to buy a lot of PSN content on a regular basis, you get a sub. You don't want that content or aren't a regular user of the PSN store, then you're not going to get it. If you're in the former group, it'll end up paying for itself. If you're in the latter, it'll make more sense not to bother.

[quote name='Spyder187']50 a year for a free crap title of their choosing. I can download a full game to try it but i only get to play it for one hour... thats pretty much how trials are working anyways, free themes that mean nothing to me... discounts because I ALREADY PAID YOU 50 BUCKS?

yeah sounds like a deal to me.[/QUOTE]

Um you do realize you're getting 4 games per month right?. Explain how 60 games for 50.00 is a bad thing. You make it out like you're getting one free game of their choosing for the whole year. The first two months already pay for themselves with the free content provided.

I'll also make sure to point and laugh when I see naysayers bitching that they didn't get into a PSN+ exclusive beta, or have to pay for DLC that we get for free for any games they own. I'm 100% sure PSN+ will get more and more features as well. As Sony states, it's going to be a constantly evolving service.

I'm just surprised at how indignant people who don't find value in the service are. You don't like PSN+, you don't have to get it. You lose nothing. Would you rather pay $50 a month for regular PSN? They only lose money on providing free online service and no business can operate forever like that. At least they are trying to offer folks a choice versus just changing it to XBL Gold outright.

[quote name='gunm']I'm just surprised at how indignant people who don't find value in the service are. You don't like PSN+, you don't have to get it. You lose nothing. Would you rather pay $50 a month for regular PSN? They only lose money on providing free online service and no business can operate forever like that. At least they are trying to offer folks a choice versus just changing it to XBL Gold outright.[/QUOTE]

amen brother. still i hope that over the course of time they use that money to improve the servers so we can get faster downloads and less mp game disconnects.

bread's done
Back