PlayStation Plus - 3 Months for $18/1 Year for $50 - 8/24: New Games for September

[quote name='Goemar']It's obvious that the main reason for such a decision is to stop people from exploiting it. Would still be nice if at the end of the subscription you could pay 'the difference' instead of having to pay full for the game. Of course this might be the case and we yet don't know.[/QUOTE]

i say at the end of a year you should be able to keep everything maybe some kind of time sensitive unlock. but for those people who only do it month to monthor every 3 months then it makes sense to keep them temporary. thats probably why they stopped giving out free games with qore.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Do you know how the subscription will work? Because I'm guessing you don't. Can you guarantee that if 2 months pass by and you re-sign with PSN+ that those games aren't also re-activated? No? Oh okay then.

Also please explain this to me. How does Sony stop people from getting at least $30-$40 worth of games and other stuff for $17.99? If someone was interested in buying Wipeout HD and those PS1 games being given away for free, then it would be much cheaper to get them by signing up for a 3 month sub. People will obviously do this whenever they see a game they want that's cheaper by subscribing. Do you honestly think it makes sense for Sony to make it so easy to exploit their subscription service just to take advantage of those select months when they have great offers? It wouldn't make any sense from a business perspective.

It's easy to bitch, but there's very little thinking involved when you do.[/QUOTE]

Exploit? If anything, charging over $5($7 max) for ANY of the games on the PS Store is exploitation. Most of them are at best games that could be duplicated on any of a number of FREE flash game sites any day of the week.

Even the more expensive ones(Socom Confrontation, Siren: Blood Curse, etc) are available cheaper and in disc format if you look hard enough.

But there's obviously a reason why all of these titles are still available on PSN and that reason is that like PT Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute.

I know that I would never pay $30-40 for downloadable versions of games when just by looking around I could find a deal on a disc version(if available), but there are people who would. Good for them. They have the money to throw around on items with no way to recoup even a portion of that cost if they don't like them.

The subscription would ONLY be worth it if the games you get free during the subscription are able to be kept and not locked out or made unusable until you re-subscribe.

Like someone else said, when you subscribe to a magazine, does the publisher come to your house after your subscription lapses and takes back the issues you've already received and read? No? Well then why take back the content you've already paid for during a paid PSN subscription?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Not sure if you read the OP, Cheapest, but here's some warning of what you'll be getting tomorrow:[/QUOTE]
Oh how I wish the firmware update would be OPTIONAL, since I have no desire whatsofuckinever to subscribe to some bullshit paid PSN garbage. But unfortunately I know it's gonna be an across the board thing, like always.

Hopefully since it's the 22nd as of now they have this crap up so I can download it now and not be bothered tonight when I'm gonna be playing Transformers: War For Cybertron.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Do you know every sale or promotion that happens on XBL Gold a year in advance?[/QUOTE]

no but it has a history now, PSN Plus does not.

anyways, people pay a monthly subscription to MMOs for content they can only access on an active subscription. i'd hardly call that a bad deal -- regarding the discussion on being able to keem games.

[quote name='jh6269']Ok everyone, my idea is up on the Sony blog. Please go vote for it (or vote against it if you're one of those people who don't like to get what you pay for).

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2010/06/21/psn-bonus-content-permanent-upon-renewal/

I think it's a better deal if you get to keep the free games that you are entitled to download during your subscription. I think it's fair that you would get to keep them permanently after you renew your subscription for the next year. I think if you were a subscriber, this idea would give you an incentive to renew--because you actually have something to gain if you resubscribe.[/QUOTE]threw my vote up. 23/31....not lookin good

[quote name='panzerfaust']details details details

i want to know what PS1 games I can play throughout my subscription, i want to know what betas will be offered, and i want to know what content and trials will be made available to me.

right now this is just annoying =/[/QUOTE]
i hear ya. Qore sounded awesome at first. Lately it's been a waste as far as bonuses go. I see PSN+ doing the same. Sounding like a hell of a deal, until down the road you realize you really don't want/need any more non-dynamic themes. And actually getting into the betas (in my case twice) takes multiple emails and you finally get in for the last week of it's run, woohoo!!

[quote name='shadowkast']threw my vote up. 23/31....not lookin good[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thanks anyway, I guess there are a lot of people that don't want to keep the free stuff. Go figure :roll:

Well, it's going to have private/party chat, but I'm guessing they're going to "unveil" that feature once this 3-month trial period is coming to an end.

I just wonder if they'll have Subscription cards like Xbox Live.

The first month of free content being Wipeout HD (a game I already own) is not something I'd call a bargain. They need to offer some kind of variety.

There is no three month trial period. They are giving annual subscribers (people who pay $50) a three month bonus (instead of the free copy of LBP that the UK got).

[quote name='KingBroly']The first month of free content being Wipeout HD (a game I already own) is not something I'd call a bargain. They need to offer some kind of variety.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of what game they give away there will always be someone who already owns it (unless it's a brand new release of course). I for one don't own Wipeout HD, or any of the games they're giving out the first month so to me getting $40 worth of games in just the first month of a 15 month subscription already makes it seem like it'll be worth it.

And people, don't compare this direclty to Qore. Qore was not handled 100% by Sony, but rather through Future Publishing. With PSN+ Sony will obviously take subscribers more seriously and provide content throughout the course of the service, not just the early months.

No one's asking anyone to sign up of course. I'm mulling it over myself, but anyone saying you won't get your money's worth is seriously misinformed. Someone mentioned keeping a tally of all the things offered for free, or discounted. I think that would be a good way to show how much people are saving. I'm betting there will be plenty of times when people who aren't members are pissed and bitch that PSN+ members get things that everyone should. You can't have it both ways.

I would probably be less hestitant to do this if there was a way to save all this wonderful new content to an external HDD. Constantly upgrading my internal HDD is a pain the ass.

[quote name='gunm']I would probably be less hestitant to do this if there was a way to save all this wonderful new content to an external HDD. Constantly upgrading my internal HDD is a pain the ass.[/QUOTE]

Can't you use an external HDD instead of an internal one? Also don't internal drives go up to 1TB now?

[quote name='ssjmichael']Can't you use an external HDD instead of an internal one? Also don't internal drives go up to 1TB now?[/QUOTE]

I thought DRM prevented games from running off an external HDD? Like even Qore, the way it is presented is like a "game". Also, I already upgraded my HDD once, and I don't want to go through that whole process of upgrading my HDD again.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, thanks anyway, I guess there are a lot of people that don't want to keep the free stuff. Go figure :roll:[/QUOTE]
You'll find out soon enough that the stupidest ideas get a ton of positive votes(omg gimme fuckin' cross game chat Sony:roll:)while the actually useful ideas like yours will be voted down to the bottom of the heap.:cry:

Yeah, keeping a game instead of losing it--what a terrible idea LOL
Who in their right mind could down-vote that?!

I wish they would offer a list of free games to pick from rather than saying 'here's wipeout for free'. Well, what about all the people that own wipeout? I understand it would be hard to come up with a game no one already owns so a list of 3-5 and you can pick 1 from would make more sense to me.

If they did that I suppose they would run out of game pretty fast though. If I sign up for Plus, I am going to be hard pressed to buy games in fear of them showing up for free the next month. It would be nice if they had a system in place to say ok there will be X number of brand new games, X number of games 1 year or older or something. Or X number of ps1 or psn games.

So the update only has PS+? Nothing else? And I assume you need to buy PS+ before you get the update, because I was on last night and didn't get one.

MMOs are built on the idea of borrowed content. There's nothing stupid about the whole ordeal unless the content they offer is terrible.

So I'll wait to see what comes around, maybe bite if FFXIV beta is offered.

[quote name='smiggity']Content for first 2 months is on EU Blog. Its weak, hopefully ours is much better or they wont see many subscribers[/QUOTE]

You have a link to that? I checked the blog and the most recent entries only explain the benefits of membership--they didn't specifically describe what games and content would be available the first two months.

Its in the comment section http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/23/playstation-plus-explained/

Hi, this will also be on playstationplus.com very soon –
Month 1: June 29th – August 3rd
Intro offer: LBP (standard edition)
PSN PS3: Wipeout HD
minis: Field Runners, Age of Zombies
PSone: Destruction Derby
Full Game Trial: Shatter, Savage Moon
Discounts: LBP God of War Pack – 50%, LBP: LocoRoco costume pack – 50%, Gravity Crash – 20%, Fat Princess DLC – 20%
Premium Game Element: KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC
Push demo: ModNation Racers, Heavy Rain
Dynamic Themes: LBP Theme, SCEE produced: PlayStation “Game Is Just The Start” Dynamic Theme
2 x Fat Princess Premium Avatars
Month 2: August 4th – September 1st
PSN PS3: Zen Pinball
minis: Blast-Off, Alien Zombie Death
PSone: Medievil
Full Game Trial: inFamous, Mushroom Wars
Discounts: Zen Pinball Earth Defence Table – 20%, Warhawk Triple Combo Pack – 50%, Super Stardust HD – 20%, WipeOutHD Fury – 20%
Premium Game Elements: Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack
Push Demo: Flower, Pixel Junk Shooter
Themes: “SCEE produced: PlayStation Plus Dynamic Theme, Heavy Rain Crime Scene Theme
2 x Heavy Rain Avatars (Bird and Butterfly)

I don't think that's weak. I think it's a good sign people will get more than their moneys worth from the content. The free games listed above are already well over $50, with 13 months left in the subcription. Think about that.

Thanks. That's actually not too bad...I guess if I avidly bought a lot of stuff off PSN already, it would be more of a problem.

I'm pretty sure we'll get different stuff from that, though, so we'll see...

Think about the fact that most people already own that content. Surely the ones who are willing to drop $50 a year have some of it. And the "Full Game Trials" are all ~5hr games except for Infamous in month 2. And both months the "Push Demos" are already up on the store. Just another example of Sony having a great opportunity, and poorly executing it.

I do agree that ours will probably be different, but not by much.

Just for the games, here are the totals:

Wipeout HD: 19.99
Fieldrunners: 6.99
Age of Zombies: 4.99
Rally Cross: 5.99

Zen Pinball: 9.99
Alien Zombie death: 3.99
Blast-off: 2.99
Medievil: 5.99

Total: $60.92.

Again this is not including the price of the free themes, Killzone and Motorstorm DLC, avatars, discounts in PSN, etc.. Just the free games for the first 2 months of a 15 months subscription. I can't see how anyone would say this is a bad value.

I personally don't own a single game on that list.

$4 a month for all that stuff minus Wipeout and Zen Pinball is a bad value?

Anyway, I dunno if we can confidently say that "most" people on PSN own all that content. Maybe more of us on CAG do, 'cause we find all the deals.

Still, even if I owned half that stuff, I'm paying a little over $4 each month for the rest, with the promise of more and possibly better stuff in the future. For me, I don't own any of those themes or avatars, and if I tried to buy them all separately that's way over $4 right there.

Not that I'd necessarily want to buy those things of course, but I'm just saying it wouldn't be a total waste.

Shit, now I'm convincing myself to buy a 1year sub day one. >_

[quote name='smiggity']Take away Wipeout HD and Zen Pinball its a horrible value. That is my point.[/QUOTE]

It's a stupid point then. Take away Blu-ray and the PS3 is less of a value. Do you see how much sense that makes to point out? They're in the subscription, what's the point of saying they're not there to justify your point of it being a bad value?

Again you do realize this is just 2 months of a 15 month subscription right? Suppose we took away Zen pinball and Wipeout HD, are you saying PSN+ wouldn't get 30.00 more worth of games inthe next 13 months? What a stupid point

Well, the beauty of PSN+ is that you don't have to purchase it to continue your current experience on PSN.

The possibility they'll throw in Soldner X bundle and some other stuff I've been eyeing but never took a chance on might make me bite though.

great post smiggity i was already going to do it but now i really want to do it. i dont have any of the free games theyre offering and i really liked the heavy rain dynamic theme but felt it was way too expensive but for free im all over it. hope they keep up the 50% off on dlc because id love to get red faction guerilla and ac2 dlc on the cheap.

I'm still on the fence. Somehow I missed when I first read through this that there were actual free games - I thought the "free" games were the 1 hour demos. But if there are actually "free" games (even if you need to stay subbed to keep them) then I might bite. I, for one, don't have Wipeout HD. However, it was on sale not too long ago and I didn't think it was worth getting for the sale price, so I don't count the "value" of it to be whatever the normal PSN price is. It's worth maybe $5 of that $50 sub to me. The PS1 classics are for the most part worth LESS than $0 to me as they would just take up space on my limited HD (and I'm not into the upgrading thing). Just about the only one I'd ever consider buying is FF VII and I doubt they will ever offer that in PSN+. Themes are Avatars have a value of about 5 cents each as far as I'm concerned. So if you look at it that way, then, maybe I'll scratch and claw $50 of value out of it over 15 months... Maybe... Like others I have already puchased tons of PSN games so chances are at least half if not more of the freebies coming over the next 14 months I'll already have.

Here's another question though. If you play from another account on the machine that isn't the subscriber account, can you play the free games? I 'd want to make sure my kids can play them too. That's a deal breaker if not...

There are indeed "Free" games. However, they will only be available for you to play while you are a subscriber.

Games you purchase at discount via the PSN+ subscription will remain yours to keep.

What you get out of the sub is up to you, hence it being optional to the regular PSN experience.

The PSN+ service is tied into your PSN account, so I assume the same DRM rules apply to the service as it currently does to PSN content per account.

I have two PS3s and I can port my purchases to each...IIRC it's up to five consoles. I believe whatever you get off PSN+ is the same.

Yes, you pay via your PSN account so you should be able to use credit cards and PSN network cards to subscribe as well.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Will I be able to pay for a PSN+ subscription with my existing account balance? If so, I'm in.[/QUOTE]

That's partly the reason I'm likely in as well actually. I've gotten a ton of free PSN credit because of my Sony rewards card.

[quote name='ssjmichael']That's partly the reason I'm likely in as well actually. I've gotten a ton of free PSN credit because of my Sony rewards card.[/QUOTE]

That's my exact reason. I'm actually maxed out on PSN credit...

[quote name='gunm']The PSN+ service is tied into your PSN account, so I assume the same DRM rules apply to the service as it currently does to PSN content per account.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but a regular PSN purchase once on a machine is able to be used by anyone on that machine. If they tie the use of these "free" games to your PSN+ sub, then it might be more restrictive in that only the person who bought it can play it. Or will it check online each time another user starts it up to see if the original purchaser still has a PSN+ sub?

[quote name='gunm']Yes, you pay via your PSN account so you should be able to use credit cards and PSN network cards to subscribe as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm considering this only because I can get PSN cards for less than retail from places like Gamestop (using trade-in credit). If I had to charge $50 to a CC I wouldn't do it.

[quote name='io']Yeah, but a regular PSN purchase once on a machine is able to be used by anyone on that machine. If they tie the use of these "free" games to your PSN+ sub, then it might be more restrictive in that only the person who bought it can play it. Or will it check online each time another user starts it up to see if the original purchaser still has a PSN+ sub?[/QUOTE]

From that EU Blog page:

You need to be the master account holder on the PS3 and be over 18 to purchase a Plus membership but other accounts on that PS3 will be able to play the games you download for as long as you are a member.

Thanks - I figured that would have to be the case, but I wanted to make 100% sure.

OK, so I'll probably get suckered into this. I might as well at least do the first year with the +3 months, then take it from there. If I get less than $50 value (my perceived value, that is, and not the "MSRP" of all the stuff I get for free or discounted) over 12 months then I won't renew.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Just for the games, here are the totals:

Wipeout HD: 19.99
Fieldrunners: 6.99
Age of Zombies: 4.99
Rally Cross: 5.99

Zen Pinball: 9.99
Alien Zombie death: 3.99
Blast-off: 2.99
Medievil: 5.99

Total: $60.92.

Again this is not including the price of the free themes, Killzone and Motorstorm DLC, avatars, discounts in PSN, etc.. Just the free games for the first 2 months of a 15 months subscription. I can't see how anyone would say this is a bad value.

I personally don't own a single game on that list.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, all those games above with the exception of maybe Medievil are pretty worthless to me and I have a disc version of Medievil, so I don't even need that one. So it would not be a good deal for me, especially since I don't have and don't want Motorstorm or Killzone or any of the DLC for them.

Plus the fact that all of those things would just take up HDD space and waste it, since I would probably never play them, much like Noby Noby Boy that I downloaded wayyyy back when or Rag Doll Kung Fu when it was free from Sprint.

What this PSN+ thing is is Sony essentially saying 'here have some crap that we can't sell normally for the most part and we'll charge you $50 for a year to have it'.

Let me know when they give you the ability to unlock locked saves so you can copy them to a flash drive to back them up or backwards compatibility.

Sony could send TheCheapestGamer one million dollars and he would find a way to complain about it.

In all seriousness, it's an optional service, and seems to be a great value for nearly anyone who likes their playstation.

And how exactly is Wipeout crap? It's one of the best downloadable games on any platform.

And what do you mean by the ability to back up saves? When I upgraded my hard drive all my saves worked just fine.

[quote name='coleipoo']Sony could send TheCheapestGamer one million dollars and he would find a way to complain about it.

In all seriousness, it's an optional service, and seems to be a great value for nearly anyone who likes their playstation.

And how exactly is Wipeout crap? It's one of the best downloadable games on any platform.

And what do you mean by the ability to back up saves? When I upgraded my hard drive all my saves worked just fine.[/QUOTE]
There are certain games that have saves which are locked and unable to be seperately copied(i.e. Mercenaries 2). When I went to trade in my 40 gb PS3 towards a slim last summer, I tried to save all of my files I wanted to save to a 2-4gb flash drive.

However, apparently EA or Pandemic chose to make it so you couldn't transfer the saves without copying the WHOLE HDD, which I had neither the space on the flash drive nor the time/patience to do.

As for Sony sending me a million dollars, I would NOT complain if they did that, but I still would not like what they've done this gen. They did make a decent piece of hardware(minus the YLOD some older PS3 owners are getting now)in comparison to MS this gen, but that's the only plus for them in my book. But the PS3's price at the start of the gen was fuckin' ridiculous.

I play the games on a system and I don't give a damn about the system manufacturer unless there are rampant issues with their system(like Sony had LAST gen).

As for Wipeout being the best downloadable game, that is called an opinion. Now if it were $5 to download, I might change my tune, but $20 for something I have zero resell rights to is ridiculous and always will be in my book.

And thank God it's an optional service, since Sony would never get a dime from me for some monthly service where I lose everything I download during the service should I cancel after a year.

the locked save shit is really annoying but also they should have allowed console owners the ability to take out their harddrives from the dead console and put them in a new one without the data being cleared out.

[quote name='io']OK, so I'll probably get suckered into this. I might as well at least do the first year with the +3 months, then take it from there. If I get less than $50 value (my perceived value, that is, and not the "MSRP" of all the stuff I get for free or discounted) over 12 months then I won't renew.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I will probably do this too.

As for the DRM on saves, I agree. It's unecessary and doesn't make any good sense to me. I understand DRM on maybe movies, or the game itself, but why a game save? Sony allows you, almost encourages you to be able to upgrade the HDD yourself, so what is wrong with allowing the saves to port over? It's just frustrating.

bread's done
Back