PlayStation Plus - 3 Months for $18/1 Year for $50 - 8/24: New Games for September

[quote name='gunm']I'm just surprised at how indignant people who don't find value in the service are. You don't like PSN+, you don't have to get it. You lose nothing. Would you rather pay $50 a month for regular PSN? They only lose money on providing free online service and no business can operate forever like that. At least they are trying to offer folks a choice versus just changing it to XBL Gold outright.[/QUOTE]

LOL I'd be indignant if I were forced to pay $30 - $50 a year, not only get nothing for it, but can't play the games that I purchased on the network w/o a subscription. Oh, and if you have more than one gamer in your house and share a console, you still have to pay $50 a person.

Anyway, at least Sony did this the right way and made it completely optional. I'm really happy though that online play is still free.

Seems odd giving Little Big Planet away for free with the sequel around the corner...

This service seems to be better targeted at newer owners, I already have a lot of the games there offering for free so far and I don't like the idea of not having them after I end my subscription.

If they did a 'light' pack which offered the discounts but not the 'free' games for a lower price that would be more than worth it as I grab quite a lot of PSN titles. However this would only interest me if they had discounts on new, good, titles. 50% off a year old game just isn't going to cut it.

This could make game sharing a lot cheaper though, so I wouldn't be surprised if something came along to prevent such a thing.

Considering this is CAG I'm impressed some people don't understand how the value of this deal can vary depending on how much someone gets from it. I personally find no value in PSN+ but hey if someone else does it's not my place to argue against their own tastes.

It's like saying WoW is a ripoff because you only play it a few hours a month. And yes, when you stop paying for WoW your content is also locked away -- worst deal ever right?

IMO though, PSN just doesn't have enough games of high quality to warrant a subscription to the service, and I think that will hold true for most people here.

[quote name='QiG']One of the PSN+ features that Frisky just listed says you can set it to wake up from standby and check for updates to download and install at any time of day. While not my biggest pet peeve, this would be nice to make available to everyone.. sometimes downloads from the playstation servers aren't all that quick and it's embarrassing when I have people over and I have to say "This will just take a minute to update"

The regular update and install method makes cheapest want to set fire to and punt a bag of puppies and kittens into a lake.[/QUOTE]
Nah. Although I've definitely wanted to take a plane to Japan and kick a few people at Sony squarely in the nutsacks for their timing on the updates in times past.

I understand they put them up whenever they get them ready and what not(some of them could've used some extra QA hours:roll:), but for someone like me who gets on at 10-11pm EST to just play a game it's still a pain in the ass to go 'oh I have to update'. This is especially true since I don't watch much of anything on tv anymore, so it's either sit here on CAG and surf the deals pages and wait or take a fuckin' nap while I wait.
[quote name='gunm']I'm just surprised at how indignant people who don't find value in the service are. You don't like PSN+, you don't have to get it. You lose nothing. Would you rather pay $50 a month for regular PSN? They only lose money on providing free online service and no business can operate forever like that. At least they are trying to offer folks a choice versus just changing it to XBL Gold outright.[/QUOTE]
If they switched to an all paid subscription or no online multiplayer at all if you didn't pay I would finally have reason to finish up the multitude of games I have yet to even start.

But there are at least a few friends who I used to play regularly with on PSN who I would probably miss playing an occasional game with, though not enough to pay $50 a year.:razz:

[quote name='Goemar']Seems odd giving Little Big Planet away for free with the sequel around the corner...[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that make complete sense actually? It ensures that a lot more people who didn't buy it yet get to play through and thus would increase interest significantly for the sequel.

Whenever a sequel for something comes out, or even a movie, there's almost always some sort of promotion for the previous version.

You guys can argue. I'm planning on taking the $50 Target GC I got when I bought a XBOX Arcade system last week, using it on a $50 Playstation Card and buying PS Plus. Thanks Microsoft :D

[quote name='panzerfaust']IMO though, PSN just doesn't have enough games of high quality to warrant a subscription to the service,.[/QUOTE]

Whatever you say :roll:

Flower
PixelJunk Monsters
PixelJunk Eden
PixelJunk Shooter
Braid
Lumines Supernova
Castle Crashers
Burn Zombie Burn
Zombie Apocalypse
Comet Crash
Echochrome
Magic Orbz
Critter Crunch
Madden NFL Arcade
NHL 3 on 3
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Fat Princess
Blue Toad Murder Files
Mega Man 9 and 10
Penny Arcade Adventures
Super Stardust HD
Worms 2
Battle Tanks
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Trine
Wipeout HD
Warhawk
Burnout Paradise
Peggle
Puzzle Quest
Mushroom Wars
Joe Danger
Everyday Shooter
Sam and Max Season 3
Tales of Monkey Island
Secret of Monkey Island
Super Street Fighter II HD Remix
Super Puzzle Fighter HD
Battlefield 1943
Shatter
Zen Pinball
Tekken 6: Dark Ressurection

And hundreds of others.

Plus PS1 classics like:

Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactic
Castlevania Chronicles
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Oddworld 1 and 2
Syphon Filter
etc..

Yeah I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

[quote name='mitch079']You guys can argue. I'm planning on taking the $50 Target GC I got when I bought a XBOX Arcade system last week, using it on a $50 Playstation Card and buying PS Plus. Thanks Microsoft :D[/QUOTE]
ooooh, now that's a hell of an idea!!!! Thanx bro:applause:

Here is what PAL territories are getting for the 1st month and the 2nd month. 2nd month may be the same for us or pretty close...

Month 1: June 29th – August 3rd
Intro offer: LBP (standard edition)
PSN PS3: Wipeout HD
minis: Field Runners, Age of Zombies
PSone: Destruction Derby
Full Game Trial: Shatter, Savage Moon
Discounts: LBP God of War Pack – 50%, LBP: LocoRoco costume pack – 50%, Gravity Crash – 20%, Fat Princess DLC – 20%
Premium Game Element: KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC
Push demo: ModNation Racers, Heavy Rain
Themes: LBP Theme, SCEE produced: PlayStation “Game Is Just The Start” Dynamic Theme
2 x Fat Princess Premium Avatars

Month 2: August 4th – September 1st
PSN PS3: Zen Pinball
minis: Blast-Off, Alien Zombie Death
PSone: Medievil
Full Game Trial: Inferno Pool, Mushroom Wars
Discounts: Zen Pinball Earth Defence Table – 20%, Warhawk Triple Combo Pack – 50%, Super Stardust HD - 20%, WipeOutHD Fury – 20%
Premium Game Elements: Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack
Push Demo: Flower, Pixel Junk Shooter
Themes: “SCEE produced: PlayStation + Dynamic Theme (in production), Heavy Rain Crime Scene Theme
2 x Heavy Rain Avatars (Bird and Butterfly)

Here is more info about the program, which may also be the same here or very close.

Here are the basics of the new premium subscription service, PlayStation Plus:
Launching on the 29th June

The current PSN features will remain free. We are still very committed to PSN as a free gaming service and are certainly not planning on reducing this service following the launch of PlayStation Plus.

Plus is an evolving service and the features included at launch will be:
Games
Discounts
Exclusive items on PlayStation Store
Full Game Trial
Automatic Downloads
(More info on these below)

Membership to Plus can be purchased through PlayStation Store on PS3 for either 90 days or a whole year (365 days)

Local prices for membership can be found below, payment is a one off fee for either of the memberships and can be purchased with any of the current Store payment methods – Credit Card or PSN Cards

If you sign up between the 29th June and 3rd Aug for the 1 year subscription then you will also receive a downloadable copy of the original LittleBigPlanet game for PS3, completely free! This is yours to keep and is not tied to the period of subscription

Here are the features in more detail –
Games & Special Offers: As a member you can expect to get your hands on at least 4 games a month at no extra charge. Each month there will be a selection of 1x PSN game, 2x minis and 1x PS One classics. A list of the games available in month 1 and 2 can be found below. You will be able to download these games during the month they are available, until the new selection replaces these.

Once downloaded, these games are yours to keep and play as long as you are a member of PlayStation Plus. If your subscription lapses and then you re-subscribe the games you have already downloaded will reactivate, so you still have access to them. Additionally, if you delete one of these titles from your PS3 but decide you want to get it back then you can re-download from the Plus section of the Store if the games is still there, or, if the game has expired from the Plus section of the Store, then you can simply search for it on the Store and download it again at no extra cost.

Each month there will be 2 dynamic themes, 2 premium avatars and premium game elements/add-ons for you to download and many of these will be exclusive to members only. These are yours to keep forever once you have downloaded them.
Plus members will also be given exclusive PlayStation Store discounts each month that are above and beyond the current Store discounts available to everyone. These discounts will range from 20% – 50% and anything you buy with these is yours to keep and enjoy forever.

Finally, wherever possible we’ll be making sure that members are included in some selected demos and beta trials early, before they go live to everyone, so you can be the one to tell all your mates about the next big game they ‘must’ get.

As I mentioned, just the games themes and avatars are worth over £200* a year and with unrestricted access to 48+ games each year and all the other features, we think this service is great value for money.

Full Game Trial: Each month we will be offering members the chance to download 2 full games, try them out for a period of time (1 hour unless otherwise stated). Then you will have the choice to either buy the game and carry on from where you left off, or delete the game from your hard drive. This is a unique way to trial the full game experience and means you don’t have to be restricted to certain levels/game modes when you test out a game.

The games in full game trail will become available to all Store users to purchase but only Plus members will have the chance to ‘try before you buy’.

The other great thing about this feature is that you can continue from where you were at the end of the trial period if you decide to buy the game. All game saves and trophies earned during the trial will be unlocked and will show up on your trophy list and your trophy level, when you purchase the game. You don’t even have to re-download the game, just purchase and go back to the XMB to access the game.

Automatic Download: Members will be able to set their PS3 to wake up from standby at any time of the day or night, download and install any game updates for the games you have been playing and we will also send you new game demos that will be ready and waiting for you to play when you next use your PS3. System software updates will also download automatically (manual install still required) and then the PS3 will turn itself off again.

Game updates and demos will also automatically install and the next time you turn on your PS3 you will see a brief on screen message letting you know what has been downloaded and updated.

Some other answers to frequently asked questions from the last blog post -
Cross-game chat is not currently included in PlayStation Plus.
You need to be the master account holder on the PS3 and be over 18 to purchase a Plus membership but other accounts on that PS3 will be able to play the games you download for as long as you are a member.

The 4 games you can download each month are yours to keep for as long as you are a member.

Playstation Plus is for PS3 owners as membership can only be purchased on the PS3 Store. However, some of the content – minis and PSOne Classics – available each month will also be playable on your PSP if you have one. Download them on the PS3 and transfer to your PSP, or download directly from the PSP Store or Media Go for PSP.

PlayStation Plus is an evolving service and we have taken on board all your comments from the previous blog post. We will be looking into these and we also welcome any other suggestions you have.

[quote name='J7.']Here is what PAL territories are getting for the 1st month and the 2nd month. 2nd month may be the same for us or pretty close...

Month 1: June 29th – August 3rd
Intro offer: LBP (standard edition)
PSN PS3: Wipeout HD
minis: Field Runners, Age of Zombies
PSone: Destruction Derby
Full Game Trial: Shatter, Savage Moon
Discounts: LBP God of War Pack – 50%, LBP: LocoRoco costume pack – 50%, Gravity Crash – 20%, Fat Princess DLC – 20%
Premium Game Element: KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC
Push demo: ModNation Racers, Heavy Rain
Themes: LBP Theme, SCEE produced: PlayStation “Game Is Just The Start” Dynamic Theme
2 x Fat Princess Premium Avatars

Month 2: August 4th – September 1st
PSN PS3: Zen Pinball
minis: Blast-Off, Alien Zombie Death
PSone: Medievil
Full Game Trial: Inferno Pool, Mushroom Wars
Discounts: Zen Pinball Earth Defence Table – 20%, Warhawk Triple Combo Pack – 50%, Super Stardust HD - 20%, WipeOutHD Fury – 20%
Premium Game Elements: Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack
Push Demo: Flower, Pixel Junk Shooter
Themes: “SCEE produced: PlayStation + Dynamic Theme (in production), Heavy Rain Crime Scene Theme

Here is more info about the program, which may also be the same here or very close.

Here are the basics of the new premium subscription service, PlayStation Plus:
Launching on the 29th June

The current PSN features will remain free. We are still very committed to PSN as a free gaming service and are certainly not planning on reducing this service following the launch of PlayStation Plus.

Plus is an evolving service and the features included at launch will be:
Games
Discounts
Exclusive items on PlayStation Store
Full Game Trial
Automatic Downloads
(More info on these below)

Membership to Plus can be purchased through PlayStation Store on PS3 for either 90 days or a whole year (365 days)

Local prices for membership can be found below, payment is a one off fee for either of the memberships and can be purchased with any of the current Store payment methods – Credit Card or PSN Cards

If you sign up between the 29th June and 3rd Aug for the 1 year subscription then you will also receive a downloadable copy of the original LittleBigPlanet game for PS3, completely free! This is yours to keep and is not tied to the period of subscription

Here are the features in more detail –
Games & Special Offers: As a member you can expect to get your hands on at least 4 games a month at no extra charge. Each month there will be a selection of 1x PSN game, 2x minis and 1x PS One classics. A list of the games available in month 1 and 2 can be found below. You will be able to download these games during the month they are available, until the new selection replaces these.

Once downloaded, these games are yours to keep and play as long as you are a member of PlayStation Plus. If your subscription lapses and then you re-subscribe the games you have already downloaded will reactivate, so you still have access to them. Additionally, if you delete one of these titles from your PS3 but decide you want to get it back then you can re-download from the Plus section of the Store if the games is still there, or, if the game has expired from the Plus section of the Store, then you can simply search for it on the Store and download it again at no extra cost.

Each month there will be 2 dynamic themes, 2 premium avatars and premium game elements/add-ons for you to download and many of these will be exclusive to members only. These are yours to keep forever once you have downloaded them.
Plus members will also be given exclusive PlayStation Store discounts each month that are above and beyond the current Store discounts available to everyone. These discounts will range from 20% – 50% and anything you buy with these is yours to keep and enjoy forever.

Finally, wherever possible we’ll be making sure that members are included in some selected demos and beta trials early, before they go live to everyone, so you can be the one to tell all your mates about the next big game they ‘must’ get.

As I mentioned, just the games themes and avatars are worth over £200* a year and with unrestricted access to 48+ games each year and all the other features, we think this service is great value for money.

Full Game Trial: Each month we will be offering members the chance to download 2 full games, try them out for a period of time (1 hour unless otherwise stated). Then you will have the choice to either buy the game and carry on from where you left off, or delete the game from your hard drive. This is a unique way to trial the full game experience and means you don’t have to be restricted to certain levels/game modes when you test out a game.

The games in full game trail will become available to all Store users to purchase but only Plus members will have the chance to ‘try before you buy’.

The other great thing about this feature is that you can continue from where you were at the end of the trial period if you decide to buy the game. All game saves and trophies earned during the trial will be unlocked and will show up on your trophy list and your trophy level, when you purchase the game. You don’t even have to re-download the game, just purchase and go back to the XMB to access the game.

Automatic Download: Members will be able to set their PS3 to wake up from standby at any time of the day or night, download and install any game updates for the games you have been playing and we will also send you new game demos that will be ready and waiting for you to play when you next use your PS3. System software updates will also download automatically (manual install still required) and then the PS3 will turn itself off again.

Game updates and demos will also automatically install and the next time you turn on your PS3 you will see a brief on screen message letting you know what has been downloaded and updated.

Some other answers to frequently asked questions from the last blog post -
Cross-game chat is not currently included in PlayStation Plus.
You need to be the master account holder on the PS3 and be over 18 to purchase a Plus membership but other accounts on that PS3 will be able to play the games you download for as long as you are a member.

The 4 games you can download each month are yours to keep for as long as you are a member.

Playstation Plus is for PS3 owners as membership can only be purchased on the PS3 Store. However, some of the content – minis and PSOne Classics – available each month will also be playable on your PSP if you have one. Download them on the PS3 and transfer to your PSP, or download directly from the PSP Store or Media Go for PSP.

PlayStation Plus is an evolving service and we have taken on board all your comments from the previous blog post. We will be looking into these and we also welcome any other suggestions you have.
[/QUOTE]

Ugh, judging by that the discounts are terrible. Nothing good went on discount, now I'm not sure if I should try the service.

Yeah, there's nothing in the 2 months I'd want except Wipeout and that is not a "$20 value" IMO - $5 at best. So from the first 2 months I would not be getting "$60 worth of games" - I'm getting $5 at best. At that rate it might be a break-even kind of thing over the 15 months. I'm pretty sure I have Zen Pinball already (I honestly don't know but I did buy some pinball game that was on sale a few weeks back - haven't touched it yet). LBP is an utter waste since I bought the original long ago, then sold it and bought the GotY. I suppose it would be slightly convenient for the kids to be able to play it off the HD, but it would be without the GotY content in that case (though I had already bought the MGS pack before that anyway). Hell, I even already own the LBP LocoRoco pack that they are offering for 50% off. It is one of the very few pieces of DLC I have ever bought :bomb:.

So, yeah, this will be very hit and miss but I agree with a previous poster that this would be a great deal if you were new to the PS3. If not, it varies from meh to OK.

I'm torn on this service considering I've already picked up the majority of those PSN, Minis, and PSone games they would potentially offer up right away. So I'm going to have to wait and see what they actually offer us come the 29th and see exactly when I'm going to pay for this service.

Also I'm curious if you are going to be able to game-share these titles or be able to activate your PSN+ account on other PS3s you own. I've got a couple in the house one in my room and one in the living room and I'm hoping there will not be an issue being able to shift my gaming from room to room but that will remain to be seen.

[quote name='Loonknight']
Also I'm curious if you are going to be able to game-share these titles or be able to activate your PSN+ account on other PS3s you own. I've got a couple in the house one in my room and one in the living room and I'm hoping there will not be an issue being able to shift my gaming from room to room but that will remain to be seen.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is very important to me too - in particular, the kids and I use the second one for playing multiplayer stuff against each other. So clearly it is important for the same game to be running at the same time on the two systems. This works just fine with current PSN stuff like Fat Princess, etc. I would assume it would be the same with the "free" PSN game but I guess I should find out for sure first.

:cry: Blah... no flexibility on the choices for the free games / discounts puts you at the whim of their PR machine for the month. Sequel coming out? Original 50% off! Major sports event coming up? All content 20% off! Winter around the corner? Buy two extreme sports games, get one free!

For people who purchase great PSN content on a regular basis (I own every piece of decent content those first two months...) this has ZERO value. So disappointed. The next months better be more forward thinking...

Guys. Sony's EU does not equal Sony's North America effort. They've almost always had different deals on a lot of specials or offers on PSN. EU gets the better deals almost always. They got more with the PSP Go. They get more with Singstar. They get a free copy of LBP. We won't get that here.

I would not put much faith in to the PAL territories content that was posted earlier translating over to the North America release.

[quote name='io']Yeah, there's nothing in the 2 months I'd want except Wipeout and that is not a "$20 value" IMO - $5 at best. [/QUOTE]

$5 is what you worth WipeOut at? Ouch. Awesome game. If you got the expansion with it that would be a cracking deal. Hell over here they brought it out on disc with the expansion just so everyone could play it, that's how awesome it it. Best PSN purchase I ever made.

Still, none of the deals interest me, and the discounts aren't great. So, pass.

[quote name='ArJay2k8']False. I have had both XBL and PSN, and this crap I read about one having better online experience then the other is just that....crap. It's fabrication started by Microsoft and Sony fanboys. Neither one can claim they have better online gaming, better servers, or less lag. So, what exactly is it about XBL that gives it this supposed "Superior Online Experience"? Or, from the other perspective, what is it that gives PSN said "Superior Online Experience"?

Secondly, as for the interface. That's merely a matter of opinion on your part. Myself, I prefer the XMB over that crap they call the Dashboard. Cheapest claims the XMB is full of useless stuff, I fear the day he ever gets a glance at the Xbox Dashboard then.

As for the XBLA exclusives. PSN also has it's own exclusives, so that's pretty much a wash.[/QUOTE]
I have both services. As it stands right now the XBL experience is simply better. You'll argue with me to the moon and like you said it is a mater of opinion, so we'll leave it at that. Also IMO the PSN exclusives sorely lack compared to some of the games exclusive to XBLA. Shadow Complex alone is better than just about any PSN exclusive game.

PSN has better games in my opinion with the PixelJunk games, Wipeout, Critter Crunch and being able to use a good D-pad with MM9, 10 and Bionic Commando to name just a few.

As for online gaming, yeah XBL is better - but not $50 better. I would never pay full price for it, needs a price cut really. But damn, Shadow Complex is a damn good game (so it Splosion Man for that matter). I fail to see what any of this has to do with anything though.

My main problem with this is that if I signed up for it I would be scared of buying anything thinking it might be free 2 months down the line, but also then be annoyed waiting for it. Just sounds like a huge gamble.

[quote name='Sigma']Shadow Complex alone is better than just about any PSN exclusive game.[/QUOTE]

I'd argue Trine.. but Trine is available on PC. But not 360. Suck it. Trine was way more fun than Shadow Complex was, imho.

Everyone here seems to be looking at the free games and basing the value on that alone. I already see some nice discounts. And you get to keep the free themes, avatars, and premium game elements/add-ons forever. Noted that stuff here:

Premium Game Element: KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC (KEEP FOREVER)

Premium Game Elements: Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack (KEEP FOREVER)

[quote name='mtxbass1']Guys. Sony's EU does not equal Sony's North America effort. They've almost always had different deals on a lot of specials or offers on PSN. EU gets the better deals almost always. They got more with the PSP Go. They get more with Singstar. They get a free copy of LBP. We won't get that here.

I would not put much faith in to the PAL territories content that was posted earlier translating over to the North America release.[/QUOTE]

True, but much of the stuff for the first month matches USA so maybe some of the 2nd month does too.

[quote name='Goemar']$5 is what you worth WipeOut at? Ouch. Awesome game. If you got the expansion with it that would be a cracking deal. Hell over here they brought it out on disc with the expansion just so everyone could play it, that's how awesome it it. Best PSN purchase I ever made.
[/QUOTE]

Well, it was on sale recently for $10 or $12.50 or something, right? And I decided to pass, so yeah, I'd put its value (for me) at about $5, as that's what I'd buy it at. Nothign against the game - I loved the PSP Wipeout. I just know I'll probably never play it as it would be far down my queue (though if I get it for free from PSN+ I'd probably give it a spin). I'm just saying that its presence on the "free" game list does not automatically deduct $20 from the $50 PSN+ price since I wouldn't pay $20 (or even less) for it.

J7 - While I'd certainly get and use the free themes and avatars, I would rarely pay anything for those either, so that value of all that stuff is minimal (to me). OK, maybe all that over 15 months is worth another $5. So I have $10 of guaranteed value so far from the US PSN+ (Wipeout and themes/avatars). That's not too bad given we don't know what the other 14 months will bring. I am leaning towards getting it, after all. It's just that I'm not expecting it to be an incredible value but I certainly hope I will be pleasantly surprised!

Here's a situation with PSN+ that I don't like.

Right now I am wanting to buy the monkey island 5 game set for 20 bucks before the sale ends. I'm wondering if I should just put that money towards + being as it's almost half the cost, then hope it is one of the 'free' games they offer down the line. Or, buy it and risk it showing up on + later on and loosing the ability to play it for free.

If I don't subscribe to + and buy several games that later show up as play for free I'm going to kick myself. If I subscribe to + and none of the games I want show up then I'll be disappointed with the service. [rolls 11 sided dice to choose]

The deals sound good with their flashy 20% and 50% off but in reality its like 1 dollar maybe 2. Not to mention all the sale content is old as hell.

[quote name='smiggity']The deals sound good with their flashy 20% and 50% off but in reality its like 1 dollar maybe 2. Not to mention all the sale content is old as hell.[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah, the 20% off is pretty worthless. I'm not even considering the 20% discounts as a perk. Maybe some of the 50% stuff will be worth buying though.

[quote name='io']Well, yeah, the 20% off is pretty worthless. I'm not even considering the 20% discounts as a perk. Maybe some of the 50% stuff will be worth buying though.[/QUOTE]

thats the thing though will they only drop off small amounts for the more popular sought after games and 50% off for the crappy slow sellers? man i hope they put 50% off on joe danger and that zombie psn game dead nation.

[quote name='smiggity']The deals sound good with their flashy 20% and 50% off but in reality its like 1 dollar maybe 2. Not to mention all the sale content is old as hell.[/QUOTE]
You were expecting them to give 50% off of newer stuff?:lol: It's too bad they wouldn't add an additional 10% off to sweeten the deals if those buying the games @ 50% used their Sony cards or something.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You were expecting them to give 50% off of newer stuff?:lol: It's too bad they wouldn't add an additional 10% off to sweeten the deals if those buying the games @ 50% used their Sony cards or something.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't expecting anything. Just pointing out people get caught up in the percentages when the actual savings are negligible. And the old content is weak too. That said I will be dropping for the 3 month when they announce the S4 beta is exclusively for Playstation Plus

It definitely adds up though. Say you buy 10 items in a year on discount, that's another $10-20 savings assuming only 20% on 10 games that cost either $5-$10. Those discounts also stack with regular sales savings.

Right now based on EU I see Wipeout HD which I would like to have, $10 savings, Gravity Crash $1 savings, Super Stardust $1 savings, & Motorstorm DLC for free $5 savings, already in the first 2 months I would save $17 and get other free stuff to boot. That's significant to me.

[quote name='io']Well, it was on sale recently for $10 or $12.50 or something, right? And I decided to pass, so yeah, I'd put its value (for me) at about $5, as that's what I'd buy it at. Nothign against the game - I loved the PSP Wipeout. I just know I'll probably never play it as it would be far down my queue (though if I get it for free from PSN+ I'd probably give it a spin). I'm just saying that its presence on the "free" game list does not automatically deduct $20 from the $50 PSN+ price since I wouldn't pay $20 (or even less) for it.

J7 - While I'd certainly get and use the free themes and avatars, I would rarely pay anything for those either, so that value of all that stuff is minimal (to me). OK, maybe all that over 15 months is worth another $5. So I have $10 of guaranteed value so far from the US PSN+ (Wipeout and themes/avatars). That's not too bad given we don't know what the other 14 months will bring. I am leaning towards getting it, after all. It's just that I'm not expecting it to be an incredible value but I certainly hope I will be pleasantly surprised![/QUOTE]
The best thing to me so far other than the free games is the free DLC that you get to keep forever. I never buy DLC, but if it was free as part of a larger program I'd definitely be happy. So far the free DLC listed is not crap stuff, it's very good.

The deals add up yes, but in order to save money - you still need to spend it. So if your not interested in the discounted games it's still not worth it.

As for free DLC? The only DLC I've ever brought has been the Encore expansions for Eden and Monsters and the WipeOut Fury pack. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

PSN+ will please a lot of people, but it just seems there going towards the newer/casual gamer instead of the gamer who already owns a lot of stuff.

I'm excited for the KZ2 stuff, since I just recently bought KZ2. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's gonna be overlooked.. and these are just the first months deal. I bet they will eventually step P+ up to the point to where it'll be a requirement just like Live is for 360. Cause a 360 without Live is almost completely worthless.

[quote name='xilly']I'm excited for the KZ2 stuff, since I just recently bought KZ2. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's gonna be overlooked.. and these are just the first months deal. I bet they will eventually step P+ up to the point to where it'll be a requirement just like Live is for 360. Cause a 360 without Live is almost completely worthless.[/QUOTE]
Online play was unheard of on consoles just two gens ago and I only play maybe 1-2 games online, so if Sony gets to where PSN is a required subscription or you have NO access they can shove their online up their ass.

I used to do nothing but play offline and it's still a big part of my playing time. Online is a nice extra to have, but if it's a pay-to-play feature then it's not for me. That $50 a year could be better used on one close to release newer title or a couple handfuls of clearance titles from Sears or Kmart.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Online play was unheard of on consoles just two gens ago and I only play maybe 1-2 games online, so if Sony gets to where PSN is a required subscription or you have NO access they can shove their online up their ass.

I used to do nothing but play offline and it's still a big part of my playing time. Online is a nice extra to have, but if it's a pay-to-play feature then it's not for me. That $50 a year could be better used on one close to release newer title or a couple handfuls of clearance titles from Sears or Kmart.[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't think that's ever going to happen. If they were seriously planning on it, they would have done it with the PS2.

Except that the PS2 only had maybe 1-2 titles that took advantage of the hard drive and network adapter(Final Fantasy XI being the only one I can think of offhand)and the rest of the uses for that combo largely centered around illegal uses.

But before then what other use did any console have for the internet?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except that the PS2 only had maybe 1-2 titles that took advantage of the hard drive and network adapter(Final Fantasy XI being the only one I can think of offhand)and the rest of the uses for that combo largely centered around illegal uses.

But before then what other use did any console have for the internet?[/QUOTE]

dreamcast had internet access for high scores as well as online play(phantasy star online i believe) and they had other games with online functionality.

hell i think they even had online stuff for the n64 in japan if i remember correctly.

[quote name='lokizz']dreamcast had internet access for high scores as well as online play(phantasy star online i believe) and they had other games with online functionality.

hell i think they even had online stuff for the n64 in japan if i remember correctly.[/QUOTE]

Keywords there: in Japan

I don't give a shit what Japan had. All I know is the US had online stuff as of the Dreamcast and maybe as far back as the X-Band on the Genesis, but up until this gen I really didn't give a shit about online play.

I still don't for the most part, largely due to the majority of players I've played with or against having been douchebags who teamkill or play the game(s) 24/7 and as such kill me every other second, thus making playing online not fun at all for me.

But I still get a kick out of all of the people who think of online play as the be all end all of gaming when it's a nice addition to have but not at all necessary.

Someone is going to have to really explain the whole 'download a full game to play an hour of it' thing to me. Are they really expecting us to download 3-40gb of data to play an hour? And if they are (seriously?) why don't they just put full PS3 games on PSN for download?

[quote name='KingBroly']Someone is going to have to really explain the whole 'download a full game to play an hour of it' thing to me. Are they really expecting us to download 3-40gb of data to play an hour? And if they are (seriously?) why don't they just put full PS3 games on PSN for download?[/QUOTE]

I don't know how full game trials will work, that's one of my concerns too. But putting full games on PSN is exactly what they're doing here. The full game of InFamous will be online to purchase by everyone, but PSN+ members just get the 1st hour of it as part of the membership. LittleBigPlanet is a free game they're giving away to Europe, but it'll also be available to purchase on PSN by everyone.

Anyway, I wish these games were available through some sort of Cloud gaming system (like Onlive I guess).

edit: I'm a bit late, but yeah like frisky said :D

maybe they're going to upgrade the whole network so it doesn't take 10 years to download 100mb on a direct 5mb cable connection.

it's nice to want things

[quote name='ssjmichael']Maybe it's just your connection since it takes me about 2-3 minutes to DL 100mb and that's on WiFi[/QUOTE]

No, mine is very slow too, on occasion, whereas my Xbox, PC, and even Wii download things much faster. Sometimes it takes an hour just to get a few hundred MB.

Some people it's slow others fast. Mine is pretty fast, but I don't have other computers active on my connection usually. I just downloaded most of the E3 trailers and it took about a minute or less per trailer.

[quote name='Goemar']The deals add up yes, but in order to save money - you still need to spend it. So if your not interested in the discounted games it's still not worth it.

As for free DLC? The only DLC I've ever brought has been the Encore expansions for Eden and Monsters and the WipeOut Fury pack. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

PSN+ will please a lot of people, but it just seems there going towards the newer/casual gamer instead of the gamer who already owns a lot of stuff.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they'll have more than 5 discounts I would go in on so that's over $5-$10 right there for that alone. In order to get the games without PSN+ you still have to spend. I have never bought any DLC ever, but if it's free on top of other stuff that saves me more than I spend on +, then I'll take it. The thing is if I got PSN+ I would spend more money in general so I need to see more features before I dip in. I did hear that Hulu may be coming to PSN+ in order to get that exclusive to PSN+ before 360 could get it at all. I don't care if it's exclusive I just want that.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Online play was unheard of on consoles just two gens ago and I only play maybe 1-2 games online, so if Sony gets to where PSN is a required subscription or you have NO access they can shove their online up their ass.

I used to do nothing but play offline and it's still a big part of my playing time. Online is a nice extra to have, but if it's a pay-to-play feature then it's not for me. That $50 a year could be better used on one close to release newer title or a couple handfuls of clearance titles from Sears or Kmart.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure everyone will be charging for online play eventually, except PC. MS showed that it's a way to make a lot of money and that people will pay for it so everyone is going to do it at some point. If not next gen, then the one after.

Who the hell is gonna download a full 30-40gb game though? It's one thing to download maybe 1-2gb's but a full game? Unless you're one of the PS3 owners who upgraded your HDD to a 500gb or bigger sized ones, you're going to be wasting ALOT of space on downloaded games.

I have a 120gb factory hdd in my slim and I groan when games require these 5gb installs, which is why I take my time with each game and uninstall the mandatory bs installs after I'm done with them.

If too many people are ok with just downloading games, this will further prove to Sony they can charge $50-60 for a game and have it only be a downloadable file where the buyer has no rights to resell it and put us a step closer to all digital downloads.
[quote name='J7.']I'm sure everyone will be charging for online play eventually, except PC. MS showed that it's a way to make a lot of money and that people will pay for it so everyone is going to do it at some point. If not next gen, then the one after.[/QUOTE]
Depending on what the companies that're around for the next gen charge for the systems will determine when I enter that gaming gen. If not for having some extra cash from selling my old games and flipping some DVD sets I got cheap, I would've NEVER paid $400 for a fuckin' PS3 this gen.

Chances are I'd probably be just getting into this gen in 2013 or whenever the PS3 drops to $200, since that's normally my immediate buy price for game systems.

As for everyone doing the pay to play shit, like I said before once that happens they can shove it up their ass. I just hope that on Tuesday when this update is supposed to go live it's OPTIONAL for those of us who have NO interest in this pay to play crap.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Who the hell is gonna download a full 30-40gb game though? It's one thing to download maybe 1-2gb's but a full game? Unless you're one of the PS3 owners who upgraded your HDD to a 500gb or bigger sized ones, you're going to be wasting ALOT of space on downloaded games.

I have a 120gb factory hdd in my slim and I groan when games require these 5gb installs, which is why I take my time with each game and uninstall the mandatory bs installs after I'm done with them.

If too many people are ok with just downloading games, this will further prove to Sony they can charge $50-60 for a game and have it only be a downloadable file where the buyer has no rights to resell it and put us a step closer to all digital downloads.[/QUOTE]

The games won't be that big. They'll be compressed and have other language files removed to cut back on size. Everyone should upgrade their HDD anyway.

Discs suck, I wish I could download everything. MUCH more convenient.

[quote name='Barnolde']The games won't be that big. They'll be compressed and have other language files removed to cut back on size. Everyone should upgrade their HDD anyway.

Discs suck, I wish I could download everything. MUCH more convenient.[/QUOTE]
Maybe discs suck to you, but try taking a downloaded file that's locked to your PS3 over a friend's house or trading it in for some credit towards another game.

If all digital downloads come into being the norm I'd accept it ONLY if the games were 1/3 the price they are now($20 instead of $60) right from launch.

As for upgrading my HDD, I don't put anything but GAME files on my HDD, so I have plenty of room for the 20 or so games I have right now. Although I won't for long if games keep requiring a 5gb install(aka Transformers: War For Cybertron).

bread's done
Back