Playstation Vita WiFi $249.99 - 3G/WiFi $299.99 - February 22, 2012 Release

[quote name='unc13 buck']Shut the fuck up I'm so sick of uppity people screaming not a deal in this place. Also just because you aren't interested in something doesn't mean it's hardly worth mentioning.[/QUOTE]

Wow dude, anger management issues? I'm extremely interested in Vita, but a new system being available for pre-order (at MSRP, of course) is as surprising as people getting easily pissed off in online forums.

I wonder if 3G will allow those already with AT&T unlimited data plans to insert their phone sim card and get access that way instead of purchasing it again?

guys i know that the psp had a web browser.. and perhaps the PSVita might as well.

but are you guys getting the 3g one with plans on using the web browser?

i mean im getting the 3g so i can play online on the go.. like if im in the park or im traveling. i have no plans on using the web browser that comes with psvita..

thats all assuming that its even possible by the hardware or whatever determines latency of online play.. yea im not so good with the technical stuff.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I've been burned by Sony before with the PSP and PSP Go, bought them both on day 1 only to see them come down in price a few short months later due to poor sales. I'm going to wait and see how the Vita does before I get one[/QUOTE]

Yup, this. Add to it the PS3. Also, I hate the name PS Vita. I never bought the PSP Go, as I had a PSP and knew the thing would be a clunker, so at least I've somewhat learned my lesson.

Hate ATT as well. Great equation for me in this scenario to save money. Sony + ATT = no first day purchase and a long wait/hold off. Also, I haven't brushed up on all the articles, but just skimming this thread it seems that all game will be strictly sold through a monopolistic digital space controlled by Sony. Another no go there; no resale values/trade ins/sharing of my personally purchased titles will make me pass. One of the many reasons I pass on most digitally distributed titles as it is. It's really kind of funny and unexpected in my life. As much as I love gaming, etc. the fact that things are going towards a single digital distribution stream has put me off from even gaming (although PC is slightly different for a variety of reason including Steam and Blizzard, and the wide swatch of great free titles).

[quote name='Muthafodder']I wonder if 3G will allow those already with AT&T unlimited data plans to insert their phone sim card and get access that way instead of purchasing it again?[/QUOTE]

AT&T can supposedly detect and ding you for that. Some people tried using their simcards from the iPhone 3G and into the iPad 1 to share the use of data, and were billed for two plans.

[quote name='Dranakin']AT&T can supposedly detect and ding you for that. Some people tried using their simcards from the iPhone 3G and into the iPad 1 to share the use of data, and were billed for two plans.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that seems like an extremely easy catch for them to notice. I wouldn't risk it.

[quote name='JJSP']I would almost guarantee the data plans for this will be the same as the iPad 2 (200MB/2GB).[/QUOTE]

They key, for me, is if it'scontract-free pay as you go like the iPad, or a subscription like a phone or tablet.

I'm going to imagine the 3G data will be similar to the iPad and off-contract tablets, although it won't surprise me if ATT and Sony put together a deal to lower the price of the Vita on a 1 or 2 year contract. On a 2 year, I could easily see Vita 3G being $100 or lower, and a lot of people love that lower up front cost, and don't think about the data adding up.

I, for one, will be tethering with my Thunderbolt if I do get a Vita. I see no reason to buy any device with 3G when I have a phone to share the data connection with...although Verizon disagrees with that and may eventually take my tethering away >.

I would like to know more about the 3G + AT&T cost before deciding on model. If it is cheap I'll likely just pay the extra $50 as it would be a fun feature to have. On the other hand I doubt I would use 3G that much; as 90% of the time I'm near WiFi. The 10% I'm not I can just play single player. Even with 3G I would be worried about losing connection while playing online or lag due to driving and moving in and out of 3G areas.

I'm just excited it is a reasonable price.

Why is everyone saying digital distribution? Every hands on that I read today from all of the major gaming sites talked about the game slot for the new format games. This isn't going to be an all download system like the GO was.

[quote name='junkie88']Why is everyone saying digital distribution? Every hands on that I read today from all of the major gaming sites talked about the game slot for the new format games. This isn't going to be an all download system like the GO was.[/QUOTE]

This. It's a new format which, in its first forms, will hold 2 to 4GB. Higher capacity cards are supposed to come later on. Each game will also have space on it for game saves, patches and whatever else.

$250 ain't a bad price. I will more than likely do a preorder somewhere by the end of month.

I was really hyped about the 3G version until it dawned on me that there's a 99% chance the service won't be free. Unless the service is significantly cheaper than it would be for a phone, I won't even bother. In for probably the Wi-Fi version.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']I was really hyped about the 3G version until it dawned on me that there's a 99% chance the service won't be free. Unless the service is significantly cheaper than it would be for a phone, I won't even bother. In for probably the Wi-Fi version.[/QUOTE]

I think they will need to at least allow free data while accessing the PSN store and downloading anything from it. If not.. it could get pretty ugly with the expensive data plans for 3G. No one is going to want to use their 200mb/2gb data plan to download any games from PSN.

or a specific and cheap unlimted data plan for the vita would be nice.

i cancelled my pre-order. im graduating next spring, and ive secured a job, but my gpa is too low, close to 3.0. i mean during my breaks in school, i listen to music. and recently ive been reading a lot because i bought the kindle.

and if i buy this.. ill be gaming during break.. and i literally lose track of time when i play video games...

so.. until next year my love. hopefully youll be cheaper by then xD

[quote name='atc250es']I'm betting games will be 39.99 just like 3ds games.[/QUOTE]

hasn't some psp games started out at 39.99 already?

I'm betting 44.99 at least.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony would pull 49.99 on some "exclusives".

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yup, this. Add to it the PS3. Also, I hate the name PS Vita. I never bought the PSP Go, as I had a PSP and knew the thing would be a clunker, so at least I've somewhat learned my lesson.

Hate ATT as well. Great equation for me in this scenario to save money. Sony + ATT = no first day purchase and a long wait/hold off. Also, I haven't brushed up on all the articles, but just skimming this thread it seems that all game will be strictly sold through a monopolistic digital space controlled by Sony. Another no go there; no resale values/trade ins/sharing of my personally purchased titles will make me pass. One of the many reasons I pass on most digitally distributed titles as it is. It's really kind of funny and unexpected in my life. As much as I love gaming, etc. the fact that things are going towards a single digital distribution stream has put me off from even gaming (although PC is slightly different for a variety of reason including Steam and Blizzard, and the wide swatch of great free titles).[/QUOTE]

You do know that the PS Vita games will come in retail stores too right?

[quote name='dylandersen']Question. How do we know that by pre-ordering with Amazon we're guaranteed a unit on release day? Anyone?[/QUOTE]

You don't.

Amazon guarantees release day delivery on some games, but I don't think they've done that with a system previously...And given supplies of hardware can be iffy at launches, I doubt they would offer it....too much chance of pissing off customers for something that is out of their control.

Just so you guys know, Online mulitplayer capabilities will not be possible on the 3G version. A sony representative confirmed this at E3.

[quote name='ryheeles']Did you really need to post this? Not to be a dick, but you know this isn't a deal and it's barely even worth mentioning anyway.[/QUOTE]

yes he does,

people buying a $250 item through a link on cag makes the head cheap ass $$

and who doesn't wanna help out CheapyD? Hes a swell guy.

Pre-ordered both last night, will see what the AT&T plans are before deciding.

I really should get over to the Sony booth tomorrow to check this out. Spent too much time with the Wii U, which despite the bad name, is actually pretty darned good. Chase Mii was a lot of fun. Mario was fantastic, though I preferred looking at the Wii U screen. Shows a lot of promise. Here's hoping the Vita shows even more.

[quote name='K_G']You don't.

Amazon guarantees release day delivery on some games, but I don't think they've done that with a system previously...And given supplies of hardware can be iffy at launches, I doubt they would offer it....too much chance of pissing off customers for something that is out of their control.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't mean so much Release Date Delivery as I mean like, pre-ordering one now, (and subsequently not even paying Amazon until it ships) won't guarantee I'll even get one the first few days of release - much less the first week or month.

I guess we should ask those who pre-ordered a 3DS from Amazon and how quickly they got theirs.

[quote name='ral1121']Just so you guys know, Online mulitplayer capabilities will not be possible on the 3G version. A sony representative confirmed this at E3.[/QUOTE]

oh thanks! i iddnt know that. then the wifi version should be sufficient. though it would be cool if yo ucan play online anywhere anytime using 3g.

but i think they should follow the same format as the kindle. no monthly fees for 3g, but only charge when files are transferred to your psvita or when the 3g is used to run intensive apps like skype. but at least dont charge when youre just browsing the web.

[quote name='ral1121']Just so you guys know, Online mulitplayer capabilities will not be possible on the 3G version. A sony representative confirmed this at E3.[/QUOTE]

Not even turn-based games? Well, I guess that means the thing costs $50 less, so that's good. :)

I guess we should ask those who pre-ordered a 3DS from Amazon and how quickly they got theirs.

My 3DS shipped on Saturday and I got it on Monday with 1 day shipping selected. Then again the 3DS release date was on a Sunday so it was impossible for amazon to offer any kind of release date shipping for it.

Just to clarify, you are saying "Online mulitplayer capabilities will not be possible on the 3G version connection.".

The 3G model is just the $250 model with the added 3G tech. You can still play at home using the wifi.

[quote name='hiamiyumi']Show up in my gold box for $237.49. Scored![/QUOTE]
lucky ass. I can't get crap to show up in mine. Or rather I can only get crap to show up in mine.

Why get 3G if you have a modern andriod phone. Or even if you don't you can't root it for wifi tethering. Right?

[quote name='jacknicklson']Some carries charge for mobile hotspot and some people dont care to root/jailbreak

Not all consumers are built like us haha[/QUOTE]

One thing I'm not clear on....If you teather to phone how do they know ur using as a hotspot. Do they see a new ip running data or does the phone have what is essentially spyware send a tattle tale letting them know its in hotspot mode?

do you have a link for this? what would be the point of 3g if you cant play multiplayer. Is it just to surf the web?

[quote name='caltab']do you have a link for this? what would be the point of 3g if you cant play multiplayer. Is it just to surf the web?[/QUOTE]

Surf the web, download updates, and shop at the PS Store, I guess. Seems useless to me then.

[quote name='Wario64']Preorder for wifi apparently gone[/QUOTE]

Yikes...I lucked out.

I just double checked my account to make sure my preorder hadn't been cancelled!

Hopefully this means they'll have enough units for everyone who preordered on the 6th/7th.

bread's done
Back