Playstation Vita WiFi $249.99 - 3G/WiFi $299.99 - February 22, 2012 Release

Going with 3G model after thinking it over.
It has GPS which some apps or games may take advantage of. No data plan for me.

got a 3g pre order from amazon. I got 3g and if they require a contract I will get a WiFi one; but why not get 3g for when I travel.

[quote name='dylandersen']Question. How do we know that by pre-ordering with Amazon we're guaranteed a unit on release day? Anyone?[/QUOTE]

Forget about getting it on release day. I have issues with getting pre-orders fulfilled. Amazon ordering system is not perfect. There were times where my orders cancelled due "unable to fulfill order" reasons. Amazon might take pre-orders of the PSVita like hot cakes, but who knows what will happen when the actual shipping date draws near.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yikes...I lucked out.

I just double checked my account to make sure my preorder hadn't been cancelled!

Hopefully this means they'll have enough units for everyone who preordered on the 6th/7th.[/QUOTE]

Pre-orders are still open on amazon, no reason to be concerned as there may not be any numbers on how many units at this point, plus other outlets will open pre-orders as well. There is another 6 months before release too.

[quote name='WebScud']Lineup Interview with SVP Scott Rohde: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-playstation-vita/715473

Scott talks about 3G being used for social and in-game notifications while actually multiplayer will need WiFi. Not something that I thought about, but it makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Ah that sucks. But its understandable. Though it would be cool to be able to play call of duty online anywhere anytime. Because if you already have a current gen console at home, why settle for the ps vita's call of duty? And that game is all about the multiplayer.

[quote name='EarthKing']You do know that the PS Vita games will come in retail stores too right?[/QUOTE]

This is Sony we are talking about. PSP Go anyone?:roll: Nothing surprises me anymore with this company.

[quote name='nbballard']Just to clarify, you are saying "Online mulitplayer capabilities will not be possible on the 3G version connection.".

The 3G model is just the $250 model with the added 3G tech. You can still play at home using the wifi.[/QUOTE]

Yes, ofcourse many games will have online multplayer. I was just clarifying to those people that were getting the 3G version of this and hoping for some online multiplayer on the go, is not possible.

So yes, the Wi fi version is really enough to do all your online gaming, and i guess its much better, save yourself 50 bucks.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']This is Sony we are talking about. PSP Go anyone?:roll:[/QUOTE]
Even Sony would likely say "no thanks" to that question. That took a valuable lesson to heart about the negative reaction the PS3's launch price got and managed to keep Vita's price below what many expected. Hopefully they've learned some other lessons as well.

Why does EVERYONE have to mention that the name sucks? Isn't that a big irrevelant

It could be named dogshit and people would still buy it because of what it does. So honestly, i highly doubt its a deciding factor in anyones purchase -.-

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Ya guys let's be friends. Vita for all![/QUOTE]

You're buying us all vitas?? Whoa! Ill pm you my address. How kind of you :D

[quote name='giantqtipz']You're buying us all vitas?? Whoa! Ill pm you my address. How kind of you :D[/QUOTE]

Oh shit, I'm screwed.

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

I am getting one. Amazon accepts a trade in on PSP 3000 for $92.85. Which I am going to do, but the release date is still not confirmed. Sony says end of 2011. I still love my PSP and don't want to trade it in until closer to release date. I just hope amazon doesn't drop the trade in value the month or two before the release date. UGH>

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Thrinn']Even Sony would likely say "no thanks" to that question. That took a valuable lesson to heart about the negative reaction the PS3's launch price got and managed to keep Vita's price below what many expected. Hopefully they've learned some other lessons as well.[/QUOTE]

Let's be realistic for a second, Sony hasn't learned any lessons that they should have at this point. Case in point, the numerous security issues they are currently having among a bevy of other issues this company has been having across all its offerings.

If Sony could get away with pricing the Vita higher, they absolutely would. They wouldn't hesitate, however the mobile space is starting to get saturated and there's much more competition (i.e. android devices, Iphone/iOS, Windows phones) than there has been in the past where they were primarily taking on a single, though dominant, competitor in Nintendo.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Let's be realistic for a second, Sony hasn't learned any lessons that they should have at this point. Case in point, the numerous security issues they are currently having among a bevy of other issues this company has been having across all its offerings. [/QUOTE]Remember on the PS1 & PS2 when the system security was compromised and Sony was screwed over by piracy for the duration of lifespan of those consoles? It happened again with the PSP, and Sony managed to at least bandage the situation before almost instantly losing control again. It took years for the PS3 to be compromised and Sony has since patched the issue. PSN is a mess but at they're clearly invested in improving its security.

People bitched about not having a second analog stick. Sony addressed that.

UMD was a terrible idea from the start. It's gone.

Consumers didn't like the lack of physical media in the Go. Retail games are back again for the Vita.

There's no arguing that the Vita's going to have an uphill battle, but at the same time it looks like Sony is making progress to me.

[quote name='Thrinn']
Consumers didn't like the lack of physical media in the Go.[/QUOTE]

The lack of physical media in and of itself was not the real problem IMO. It was the combination of the fact that there was no way to transfer your past umd purchases, psp games weren't always available on psn on their release date or sometimes ever, and the price of the games. The app store and steam prove the masses are perfectly fine with downloadable content as long as its done right.

[quote name='mrkool899']Quick question, will there be a white PSP Vita at launch or is the black one the only available one?[/QUOTE]99% chance only black.

Man I want a white one.

[quote name='caltab']The lack of physical media in and of itself was not the real problem IMO. It was the combination of the fact that there was no way to transfer your past umd purchases, psp games weren't always available on psn on their release date or sometimes ever, and the price of the games. The app store and steam prove the masses are perfectly fine with downloadable content as long as its done right.[/QUOTE]

No.
Lack of physical media is still an issue. They've actually done market research on it and the majority of gamers still prefer physical media to downloads, specifically console gamers.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...-Gamers-Prefer-Discs-to-Downloads-Says-Survey
You can't compare a 2 dollar App to a 30-40 dollar big name title. It's easier to spend frivolously on apps as they barely register on the mind of the casual gamer, while the core gamer, the kind that make up the majority of the target demographic, still want the ability to choose. The ability to resell titles, the ability to not be hung up on the whim of a digital store front that they may or may not be able to get access to. The ability to buy their games without a creditcard or PSN card. A study shows a large chunk of the total internet capable consoles arent even connected to the internet, (this is an older report, I cant find the later one but I recall that the percentage actually went down for wii.)
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28058/Study_PS3_Has_Highest_Percentage_Of_Connected_Consoles.php
to go completely digital isnt just bad for the economy but also not completely viable under the current infrastruture (believe it or not there are still places in the US without suitable broadband network coverage) and would cost them sales.

[quote name='caltab']The lack of physical media in and of itself was not the real problem IMO. It was the combination of the fact that there was no way to transfer your past umd purchases, psp games weren't always available on psn on their release date or sometimes ever, and the price of the games. The app store and steam prove the masses are perfectly fine with downloadable content as long as its done right.[/QUOTE]

With the PSN situation, I'd prefer not to have digital only ever otherwise you'll have no games while it's down plus not every area has good connections. I live in a large metro area(Philly PA) so I'm covered for the most part but 45 min to 1 hr north of me things get spotty.

Found this last night. Pre-ordered the 3G with $3.99 overnight shipping (thanks free Prime account)! Here's to hoping the game ships before release date and gets here early!

[quote name='wwe101']my brother said you can play mgs4 on this and other ps3 games. is that true?[/QUOTE]

How can people even think this? A CD is larger than the Vita, you can't rip PS3 games, and the file size would be incredibly massive compared to its storage capacity. The only way this MAY be possible is if the PS3 somehow gains the ability to stream video to the Vita like the WiiU remote can, and there wouldn't be much purpose in that would there?

[quote name='ferzan']Why does EVERYONE have to mention that the name sucks? Isn't that a big irrevelant

It could be named dogshit and people would still buy it because of what it does. So honestly, i highly doubt its a deciding factor in anyones purchase -.-[/QUOTE]

Everyone will call it PSV soon enough. I mean honestly, I don't think anyone refers the PSP as "Playstation Portable" all the time. And as much as I dislike "Vita", PSV sounds just fine

[quote name='TwilitSky']How can people even think this? A CD is larger than the Vita, you can't rip PS3 games, and the file size would be incredibly massive compared to its storage capacity. The only way this MAY be possible is if the PS3 somehow gains the ability to stream video to the Vita like the WiiU remote can, and there wouldn't be much purpose in that would there?[/QUOTE]

The PSP can already do that. The PSV will likely follow suit.

[quote name='Thrinn']The PSP can already do. The PSV will likely follow suit.[/QUOTE]

That's why I thought it was very shortsighted of Sony to not put L2/R2 buttons on this thing. It would allow them to do Remote Play for just about every PS3 game if they wanted to. Plus they could also start making a PS2 Classics Library like the PSP did with PS1 games. Something so simple, but has big consequences imo.

[quote name='TwilitSky']How can people even think this? A CD is larger than the Vita, you can't rip PS3 games, and the file size would be incredibly massive compared to its storage capacity. The only way this MAY be possible is if the PS3 somehow gains the ability to stream video to the Vita like the WiiU remote can, and there wouldn't be much purpose in that would there?[/QUOTE]Put in 32 GB of expandable storage (microSDHC, preferably) and one could easily store several PS3 games on-the-go at any given point.

And further, for those of us that don't always have access to TV's (ie: other people in the household using them), streaming to the the PSV would be a HUGE draw.

Personally, I'm hoping for the former, but would still be very happy with the latter.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Put in 32 GB of expandable storage (microSDHC, preferably) and one could easily store several PS3 games on-the-go at any given point.

And further, for those of us that don't always have access to TV's (ie: other people in the household using them), streaming to the the PSV would be a HUGE draw.

Personally, I'm hoping for the former, but would still be very happy with the latter.[/QUOTE]

I guess streaming PS3 games to the Vita would be a nice feature, though I wonder what is the technical feasibility of that? I don't know how much more complicated it is to stream game data rather than simple audio and video files. I wouldn't be one to leave the PS3 running so I can access it when I'm outside though. It's notable that the Vita can easily accommodate a 480p version of a PS3 game if it's possible. In any case, I doubt the Vita will be able to play PS3 games without the aid of a PS3.

[quote name='TwilitSky']I guess streaming PS3 games to the Vita would be a nice feature, though I wonder what is the technical feasibility of that? I don't know how much more complicated it is to stream game data rather than simple audio and video files. I wouldn't be one to leave the PS3 running so I can access it when I'm outside though. It's notable that the Vita can easily accommodate a 480p version of a PS3 game if it's possible. In any case, I doubt the Vita will be able to play PS3 games without the aid of a PS3.[/QUOTE]

You should really read up on remote play. All of this is possible now on the PS3 and PSP. It streams many games just fine. And the PSP has the ability to turn the PS3 on/off remotely, even if you're on the other side of the world. You can even use it to stream music/video off your PS3 (not blu-rays though)

Lair was one of the first (if not the first) BD games to have remote play, and it looks cool, though not fully playable (no sixaxis on the go). The game wasn't received well, but it definitely looks great visually, so I'm using it as an example here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mASdFCTNA7I

I actually like the name. And I hated the name Wii, hate Wii U even more.

This harkens back to the days of "Saturn", "Dreamcast", etc. Not saying this name is as good as those, just that it's refreshing not to have it be a "sequel" (PSP2) like every other major system has been in recent years (Xbox360, PS2, PS3, DS, 3DS, WiiU).

[quote name='Thrinn']UMD was a terrible idea from the start. It's gone.[/quote]

I think it was a good idea. There was no other way to do the types of games, the type of system it was, without an optical disc. I'm not even 100% sure there is now. We don't know what size most 3DS and even Vita games are going to be-from some review comments, it seems like even 6 years later some 3DS stuff is having to be more compressed/cut to fit on cartridge.

I mean it'll probably work now, okay, but it does limit what you can do even now.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You should really read up on remote play. All of this is possible now on the PS3 and PSP. It streams many games just fine. And the PSP has the ability to turn the PS3 on/off remotely, even if you're on the other side of the world. You can even use it to stream music off your PS3.

Lair was one of the first (if not the first) BD games to have remote play, and it looks cool, though not fully playable. The game wasn't received well, but it definitely looks great visually, so I'm using it as an example here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mASdFCTNA7I[/QUOTE]

Alright, I was taught. It seems it was just the limitations of the PSP's controls that stopped it from being compatible with all games, so developers gave a different experience with Remote Play. I'll be looking forward to this connectivity whenever I get a Vita. I only borrowed a PSP and played a few games, but haven't tried Remote Play. I'm sure that once all PS3 games can be played on the go, I'll be giving it a try. Also, snooping around Wikipedia, I found out that there were indeed tech demos of games like MGS4 being played on the Vita. I was very surprised, but to be clear it requires porting, and doesn't play on the Vita straight from the PS3 game.

[quote name='velvet396']I actually like the name. And I hated the name Wii, hate Wii U even more.

This harkens back to the days of "Saturn", "Dreamcast", etc. Not saying this name is as good as those, just that it's refreshing not to have it be a "sequel" (PSP2) like every other major system has been in recent years (Xbox360, PS2, PS3, DS, 3DS, WiiU).[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with all that I think. The name's fine, and you're right, it is kind of like an actual name, like we used to get.

I mean Wii? Wii U? Those are idiotic...I just sort of have lost my ability to care how idiotic they are :lol: "DS" and "3DS" are dumb too for that matter.

I am definitely going to get a Vita but unless there are great pre-order deals, I am going to wait until there is the inevitable bundle with a game or limited edition design.

[quote name='TwilitSky']In any case, I doubt the Vita will be able to play PS3 games without the aid of a PS3.[/QUOTE]

Certainly. I don't believe the PSV has enough horsepower to play the games without some fine tuning involved on the programmer's end. I'm sure we'll see a ton of PS3-to-PSV ports released.

[quote name='Japakneez']I may have missed the news, but I don't think anyone said all PS3 games will be playable through Vita.[/QUOTE]

I'm just hoping they'll find a way to make most if not all PS3 games playable via Remote Play, since the potential is there. It'd be nice to have access to your PS3 games on the go without the experience being gimped; it seems to me the only reason the PSP couldn't do this is because it has considerably less controller input than the Dualshock.

[quote name='ssjmichael']That's why I thought it was very shortsighted of Sony to not put L2/R2 buttons on this thing.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why the back touchpad can't serve as the L2/R2 buttons. Touch it on the right, R2. Touch it on the left, L2.

Don't forget, guys, the touch pad on the back could easily be mapped to be L2/R2. Certainly it would be a bit obnoxious to get used to, but I think it could be done with relative ease.

EDIT: Beat me to it, xD

[quote name='Tigershard']I don't see why the back touchpad can't serve as the L2/R2 buttons. Touch it on the right, R2. Touch it on the left, L2.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, someone suggested that to me since the NGP was first revealed, but that's still a limitation out of the gates imo. It would likely be up to the developers to implement that (which wouldn't be hard, but still optional nonetheless) and who knows if devs are even thinking about the PSV in that sort of way, or Sony for that matter. I'd honestly be surprised if Sony re-mapped PS2 classics with R2/L2 support for instance. If the actual buttons were there from the start it would also be more obvious for devs to make future games cross-compatible with the PS3 and PSV.

I won't knock the rear touchpad until I hear more about them and/or use them myself, but I do have to wonder how good they'll be as a replacement for those buttons. It is better than nothing no doubt, I just hope devs do take advantage of them.

Preface: I have a psp go and will almost certainly get one of these so I am not trying to bash but...

I really did not like the whole "painting" your path thing that was show for Uncharted at E3. It really seemed like a dumbed-down experience. Obviously, pushing an analog stick isn't the same as climbing across a ledge either, but simply swiping your finger across the whole path seemed a little too easy.

bread's done
Back