Pokemon 3DS XLs announced for North America

realbigexplosion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Didn't see this posted, so here goes.

Two Pokemon 3DS XLs announced for North America.  They come out September 27.  There's a red and a blue one (though they both have the same design).  Retails for $199.99.

Looks like the game isn't bundled with the systems.  Not sure how limited these will be, but the Pikachu XLs sold out pretty fast.

Preorder at Gamestop - Red

Preorder at Gamestop - Blue

Preorder at Best Buy - Red

Preorder at Best Buy - Blue

Newegg and Target have pages up, but it doesn't look like they're taking preorders right now.  Newegg, at least, was taking preorders at one point.

Newegg - Red

Newegg - Blue

Target - Red

Target - Blue

Source: Kotaku

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got an email from Best Buy saying my order will be ready for pick-up tomorrow (a day early). Do you think that will be possible? If so, that would be awesome.

EDIT: It says it is ready for pick-up today!

EDIT 2: I called and they said it is waiting for pick-up... but the item isn't there. I am so confused, especially since it is supposed to release on Friday... Anyone else have this issue?

I just got an email from Best Buy saying my order will be ready for pick-up tomorrow (a day early). Do you think that will be possible? If so, that would be awesome.

EDIT 2: I called and they said it is waiting for pick-up... but the item isn't there. I am so confused, especially since it is supposed to release on Friday... Anyone else have this issue?
Mines states its ready for pickup tomorrow. Pretty weird how best buy changed the date.

Doubt its there. Back during the Fire Emblem fiasco I got an email to pick up my copy the saturday before release, but the store didnt even get copoes till weeks later

Their site is wonky sometimes

The Red one seems to be sold out more on websites, if I was a collector and I had to choose, Im getting the red one.

Someone typed up the ad scan for Kmart and it appears they are advertising them and I have to believe Kmart has the least amount of buying power of all major stores (i.e. Target, Best Buy, Gamestop, Toys R Us, etc.) so if Kmart is getting them, along with all those other retailers and more (Newegg, Fry's, etc.) I'd have to imagine that they aren't going to be super limited and will take some time to sell at $199.99 unless one or more retailers have a 3DS XL sale at $179.99 or less.

Interesting note on the CC charge for both this item and the Wind Waker bundle....

I was charged about 7 days ahead of the release date (probably as the package was prepared for shipping).

The charge hung around for 5 days and then disappeared before the actual release date.

Then, I was charged 1 day AFTER the item arrived. (Pokemon is not here yet obviously, but its following the same pattern as WW bundle)

Not really complaining, just seems a bit...odd?  There was like a 24 hour period where I sort of thought I got WW for free!!

Interesting note on the CC charge for both this item and the Wind Waker bundle....

I was charged about 7 days ahead of the release date (probably as the package was prepared for shipping).

The charge hung around for 5 days and then disappeared before the actual release date.

Then, I was charged 1 day AFTER the item arrived. (Pokemon is not here yet obviously, but its following the same pattern as WW bundle)

Not really complaining, just seems a bit...odd? There was like a 24 hour period where I sort of thought I got WW for free!!

In my shopping experience I've run into quite a few companies that do that (Digital River [Microsoft, Capcom, Namco, etc.], Nike, EA Origin, etc.).

They will typically bill you at the time of purchase and then that charge will fall off 2-5 business days (depending on your bank) and if it falls out before the item is shipped (like with a preorder) they will bill you again once it is being prepared for shipment and if that falls off before the item is confirmed as delivered they will finalize the charge once they get confirmation that the item has been delivered (I'm sure it's automated).

Yeah Nintendos definitely going to release a Zelda themed XL after these things sell out.
When was this pokemon one announced in relation to the game's release date? Is it possible they announce it for release with the game or is that too soon? I'd buy that hands down.

UPS delivered my Best Buy order yesterday....pretty exciting.

DOH!!!! Nevermind, wrong thread :whistle2:( Sorry....

That seems strange. You would think they'd launch on the same day.
Nintendo's made two weird decisions with with releasing hardware: These a month ahead of time and the Wind Waker bundle a week and a half before you could could play the "included" game.

The warehouse person might have fulfilled it and then either realized or was told that there's a street date on the item.

Mines states its ready for pickup tomorrow. Pretty weird how best buy changed the date.
i'm thinking nintendo changed the release date to tomorrow or someone broke release date *cough* walmart *cough* so all stores are just having a free for all now.

Target just sent my order.. you know when target gets stock and actually fulfills an order this isn't going to be rare.

Nintendo's made two weird decisions with with releasing hardware: These a month ahead of time and the Wind Waker bundle a week and a half before you could could play the "included" game.

The warehouse person might have fulfilled it and then either realized or was told that there's a street date on the item.
I don't think that's a weird decision, I think nintendo is smart doing that. They release the digital version in advance where they don't have to pay a retailer a cut of the profit, so if people want to play right away they can just download it and nintendo gets all the money. If they include it in the console bundle the retailer doesn't get much of a profit either.

plus these pokemon console bundles don't include the game.

I don't think that's a weird decision, I think nintendo is smart doing that. They release the digital version in advance where they don't have to pay a retailer a cut of the profit, so if people want to play right away they can just download it and nintendo gets all the money. If they include it in the console bundle the retailer doesn't get much of a profit either.

plus these pokemon console bundles don't include the game.
Are the people with the WiiU console already able to download and play the game? If not then I stick by my original statement. I mean I'm pretty into gaming and what not but I've found this whole situation confusing and there's probably plenty of less informed people (like those that don't even know the Wii and WiiU are different things).

Are the people with the WiiU console already able to download and play the game? If not then I stick by my original statement. I mean I'm pretty into gaming and what not but I've found this whole situation confusing and there's probably plenty of less informed people (like those that don't even know the Wii and WiiU are different things).
Wind Waker was up to buy, download, and play last friday

yes you can use the code and play and download now, the phsycial version is just not in stores to buy.

Nintendo is getting most of the profits and not retailers, nothing weird about it

Well that's still silly because that's not clear at all.
I dunno, I haven't heard anyone confused about it until now. It was clear the WW bundle was coming out alongside the download last Friday and that the physical release would come out two weeks later on October 4th.

I dunno, I haven't heard anyone confused about it until now. It was clear the WW bundle was coming out alongside the download last Friday and that the physical release would come out two weeks later on October 4th.
Well i don't know, do you have a WiiU? I could see that since it would be the only thing on the radar. ;) Seriously though, that's not a standard practice for anyone (even Nintendo). Following general gaming news, not having a WiiU and looking at GS and Amazon for release dates I never once caught that info.

I just bought a Wii U on Friday because I became savvy to that information when they released it. Just check social media, it's widely known.

Now, it's not standard practice, but it very well could become that way.

Okay, well, a large chunk of the population does, and they were and are aware it was released digitally Friday. The information was out there, plainly.

Okay, well, a large chunk of the population does, and they were and are aware it was released digitally Friday. The information was out there, plainly.
Maybe to 99% of CAG but normal people still don't follow Nintendo or games media on social media anyway. All I'm saying is that it's a really obtuse strategy when Nintendo's been doing a really good job of pushing digital so you would have thought that they would have done a little more to get it out there that one of their tent pole series was launching digital first so Mom and Dad and little cousin Suzy would know too.

I'm lost on what was confusing about the Wind Waker Wii U bundle that came with a download code. The scenario you're positing where the included code wouldn't work until a week later makes less sense than reality.

I'm lost on what was confusing about the Wind Waker Wii U bundle that came with a download code. The scenario you're positing where the included code wouldn't work until a week later makes less sense than reality.
It makes every bit as much sense as not talking up the split release date, especially when it's not on the game's website and if you don't talk that up your core audience (which isn't us) won't know about it. Clearly you can but between reading the internet, looking at the box and talking to people at Gamestop I had no idea about the split until a couple of hours ago.

This^, even a few of the paper ads stated, "Play the game early before official release."

But the real question here is why has this discussion dragged on to this point in this thread and not the cheapassgamer thread for this?

On a related note, I went to my bestbuy earlier and they basically had it ready but since the date on the email stated 26th I have to basically wait till morning. I wonder if the computers will allow a pick up a day early though.

I'm not sure what site you're referring to but they mention in a number of places "Digital Download: Available Now" and "Special Edition Gold Pack
Available October 4: A gold foil title wrap highlights the packaged version, available at your retail stores."

http://zelda.com/windwaker/#buy-now

They also talked up the early digital release in a Nintendo Direct, a google search for 'wind waker digital' produces a number of articles about this.

Anyway, whatever.

[quote name="EldritchOnRye" post="11089068" timestamp="1380162238"]

Maybe to 99% of CAG but normal people still don't follow Nintendo or games media on social media anyway. All I'm saying is that it's a really obtuse strategy when Nintendo's been doing a really good job of pushing digital so you would have thought that they would have done a little more to get it out there that one of their tent pole series was launching digital first so Mom and Dad and little cousin Suzy would know too. [/quote name="EldritchOnRye" post="11089068" timestamp="1380162238"]

It's not like I sit here and read about video games on CAG. Being someone who's not a part of social media gives you no credence to speak on everyone else's behalf. Instagram being the prime example here of tons of people who anticipated the download, began it at midnight even (for those who owned Wii U already), then there was everyone else who have bought the console since Friday. Pretty sure the downloads were dragging once kids were out of school and adults after work on Friday because more than CAG was aware of the WW DL and the LE console.

The opposite. Prime example of prominent social media.

You must not be understanding the conversation the two of us are having, go back a few posts and re-read.

OK that actually looks way better than I expected.  I was really thinking about cancelling my pre-order but the glossy finish on that really makes the characters pop and looks significantly better than the very flat renders.  Also still has the silhouettes of the starting Pokemon on the back which is one of my favorite touches but I hadn't seen an image of the back of a non-Japanese one so I was worried they would change that for some reason.

bread's done
Back