PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

If you follow baseball to any extent and enjoy an extremely well polished baseball game that blows MLB 2K8 out of the water, MLB '08: The Show is a great, great game.

[quote name='Blood Covenent']well, i hate GTA4, CoD4, and Oblivion for Xbox 360.

and sorry buddy :p i am not a baseball fan :p
[/quote]

:lol: Those are three great titles!

What genres do you normally like?

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']:lol: Those are three great titles!

What genres do you normally like?[/quote]

mostly FPS's with a good storyline. Army of 2 was sick, and i'm working on SC : double Agent for the xbox.

Assasins creed is a good game that i like, which i own on xbox as well :p

As a new PS3 owner I'm enjoying warhawk if you want a online FPS, and I've had no problem finding games (even at 7 in the morning).

[quote name='whoknows']Don't think MGS4, get MGS4.

It's amazing. Of course if you haven't played the other games you may not like it as much.[/quote]

I should be picking up a PS3 tonight. I played MGS 1 and 2, but missed 3, and frankly don't remember much about 2 at all. will I be lost during 4, or do they throw in enough flashbacks so I don't sit there wondering wtf they're talking about?

[quote name='kromekoran']I should be picking up a PS3 tonight. I played MGS 1 and 2, but missed 3, and frankly don't remember much about 2 at all. will I be lost during 4, or do they throw in enough flashbacks so I don't sit there wondering wtf they're talking about?[/quote]

i never played any of the MGS's, will i be confused :X

[quote name='Maklershed']Absolutely get Uncharted. Best game on the ps3. Anyone that tells you otherwise is a dummy.[/quote]
It might have been until yesterday.

[quote name='nyprimus4']If you're an FPS guy you HAVE to try Resistance.[/quote]

I don't know about this. I've been playing FPS games since Wolfenstein 3D, and I found Resistance to be absolutely generic (at least for the few hours in the beginning that I played). I would stick with COD4 if you haven't already played it on 360. I'm putting a lot of faith in Resistance 2 to be everything that part 1 wasn't, namely a great experience from the very beginning. That's what they seem to be hinting at in interviews; the opening scene should be pretty amazing, I hope.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Do yourself a favor and watch the Metal Gear Retrospectives at gametrailers.com.

Here is a link.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6748.html[/quote]
Thanks!
[quote name='nyprimus4']If you're an FPS guy you HAVE to try Resistance.[/quote]

well, i did try it, and... i was not impressed. the game-play seemed really slow paced for a shooter.

i love CoD4 for xbox, and would not want to start all over again on that.

i think i might get uncharted, MGS4, and thinking GRAW 2. let me know if there are any other good ones.

(p.s. - i already own, bioshock, Assasins Creed, GTA 4, and CoD4 all for the xbox 360)

So i'm going to get a ps3 sometime soon to get mgs4. I have my 360 hooked up to an hd computer moniter with the vga cable. Is it possible to do the same with the ps3?

Hi, I want to buy the ps3 for the first time. I usually do a lot of reading before spending money. Right now I am a little confused because I was told that the 80gb ps3 has serious lens problems. Somebody else told me that either the 40 gb and the 80 gb have lens problems and that I should try to get the 60 gb ones. I dont really care about the backwards ps and ps2 compatibility. I would appreaciate it if you could recomend me what to do?

40GB is the only one that has the 65nm cell. Which drops the power consumption by almost 100W.

Less heat, lower electric bill.

[quote name='daroga']an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable. Whether you pay $5 for one or $100, it'll do the same thing. Since it's digital it's on or off, unlike analog cables where there can be signal loss through crappy wires.[/QUOTE]

that's partially true and partially false. 1.3-1.3b HDMI cables arent the same as 1-1.2. 1.3-1.3b have been tested to use a 340 MHz signal. others may or they may not. Sort of like some USB cables will run at USB2 speed and some wont. most wont.

Also HDMI isnt lossless just because it's digital. It has loss tolerance. The signal just is less prone to blend when bleeding like analog. But because it's twisted & not insulated like component for instance it's much more prone to losing signal when deployed over distance.

So if you use a short (under 5 foot HDMI cable) then yes, most are equal. But if you start running 10+ feet there are noticeable loss in quality.

[quote name='bijonder']Hi, I want to buy the ps3 for the first time. I usually do a lot of reading before spending money. Right now I am a little confused because I was told that the 80gb ps3 has serious lens problems. Somebody else told me that either the 40 gb and the 80 gb have lens problems and that I should try to get the 60 gb ones. I dont really care about the backwards ps and ps2 compatibility. I would appreaciate it if you could recomend me what to do?[/QUOTE]They are wrong. Most likely, it's the 60GB that has the most serious lens problem. The 60GB also HAS the most failures currently (especially when bought used), but the PS3 failures are still on the low side. I will not deny there has been some with all SKUs, but the 60GB had the most (when there was a few PS3 failure polls, when compared to what SKUs people had).

20GB has the least issues, but you cannot find one, and it produces a lot of heat (plus you MUST swap the HDD).

Just buy a 40GB. They all use 65nm and you are guaranteed to get a new one (The 80GB consoles for MGS4 are believe to just re-use the other 80GB motherboard and components, not really new). It produces less power and runs much cooler.

For anything less than 10', you should be able to get any HDMI cable, as long as it's a 1.3-1.3b cable. For longer than that, I'd start looking into a 24AWG or 22AWG cable.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']They are wrong. Most likely, it's the 60GB that has the most serious lens problem. The 60GB also HAS the most failures currently (especially when bought used), but the PS3 failures are still on the low side. I will not deny there has been some with all SKUs, but the 60GB had the most (when there was a few PS3 failure polls, when compared to what SKUs people had).

20GB has the least issues, but you cannot find one, and it produces a lot of heat (plus you MUST swap the HDD).

Just buy a 40GB. They all use 65nm and you are guaranteed to get a new one (The 80GB consoles for MGS4 are believe to just re-use the other 80GB motherboard and components, not really new). It produces less power and runs much cooler.[/quote]

I beg to differ... inaccurate because of how many people OWN the 60GB and how many people OWN the 20GB... Failures are going to happen but the 60's and 20's were made at the same time (mostly same parts, exception as to no WiFi, etc.)

They discontinued the 20's wayyy before the 60's, hence would lead to less failures (for the 20GB) but not meaning that they could of had the same/more (only because of production numbers). . .

I haven't bought myself a 'toy' in a while but... 400 is a lot to throw down in one buy.... so is it ridiculous to wait for a price drop or is that not going to happen until say ps4 comes out....

I have gta 4 and metal gear solid 4. Add that to the system updates and thats 19 gigs of memory right there, which is almost half the 40 gig systems memory.:lol: I thought the sixaxis was way too light and the 40 gig has no shiny sliver trimming.

PS3 will see a price drop before PS4, but a pricecut isn't likely until around the Holiday season. Only reason Sony MIGHT drop the price is if MS does and it helps them significantly.

I'm sure price drops are inevitable as things get cheaper to make, but who knows if it'll be soon enough to be worth the wait. is waiting another year worth saving 50$?

[quote name='dave17']I'm sure price drops are inevitable as things get cheaper to make, but who knows if it'll be soon enough to be worth the wait. is waiting another year worth saving 50$?[/QUOTE]Sony is still trying to recover from their heavily loses early on, and wants to make back as much as they can. The new 40GB is much cheaper for Sony to make, but I don't believe much has been done to make it even cheaper to make at the moment (until cell and RSX get reduced).

When I use my PS3 with my new Samsung 19 inch Series 3 330 HDTV, it keeps flashing weird black bars on the lower half of the screen. I don't think its the TV... would it be the PS3 or the HDMI cable?
I hope this is the right place to post this. [ubernoobcag]

Thanks for the help.

Personally, I picked up the 80GB. I do care about the backwards compatibility, but it also made a little more sense to me. For the extra $100 I get:

A $60 game
Twice the HDD space
The BC
And the little twaeks in the Hardware built in (USB ports, readers)

I know that you said the BC doesn't matter to you, but getting the extra game and HDD right out of the box may be worth it. Sure you can get the game separately, and you can always upgrade the HD, but I'd rather not worry about that 'til later.

Sounds like you're comfortable with the 40GB modle though. If that's what ultimately makes more sense to you, then get that. You can always sink some extra cash on a bigger drive, and if the rumor about BC coming to the 40GB is true, you'll be laughing at us idiots that got the 80GB for that reason.

If you don't mind used try ebay, isn't hard at all to get a system for under 400. I know being on CAG and all people love to wait until the cheapest price rolls around but you have to also consider online multiplayer games , the crowds will be long gone by the time you get the system if you keep on waiting.

i think its worth it if you can get one of the 80gb bundles im surprised people are hving that hard of a time getting one when it seemed like most people wanted the 40gb le bundle. i really do think theyre looking to only sell 40gb ps3s. gamestop sells used system 20, 40 80 and 60 gb models and with that trade in bonus deal they were/are doing you could do worse. as far as a price drop goes youve got a long wait nd even then they may keep the price the same and throw in a game or an extra controller or something.

ok, so the PS3 has not arrived yet, but just a few questions before i get it.

how many accounts or profiles can you have on it? as many as you want?

and is there any other things i need to know or do before i set it up, to work the wireless internet and Playstation Online stuff...

The ps3 works great with my monitor, but my monitor has hdmi input instead of dvi, part of the reason I got it. But does dvi carry audio signals? Otherwise you'd have to have the audio come out of the composite output of the ps3, right. I've read that hdmi to dvi on monitors works great as well, but I didn't want the hassle of buying a hdmi-dvi cord or paying for it.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I don't know. Do you do that with your laptop or something already?[/quote]

yeah i use a usb modem on my laptop and wanted to see if i couldnt use it on my ps3 for updates and such.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah i use a usb modem on my laptop and wanted to see if i couldnt use it on my ps3 for updates and such.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. But if you want updates, you can download them, put them on a usb storage device, and then install them. i had to do it once, when I lost internet for a week, blackout messed up the connection. But I've never researched if you can use a usb adapter to get online.

what you can also do is, share the internet connection from your laptop with your ps3, I do it with my 360 since no wifi, and if works fine. I'm assuming you have the usb modem connected and then a free ethernet port. Are you on mac or windows?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I don't know. But if you want updates, you can download them, put them on a usb storage device, and then install them. i had to do it once, when I lost internet for a week, blackout messed up the connection. But I've never researched if you can use a usb adapter to get online.

what you can also do is, share the internet connection from your laptop with your ps3, I do it with my 360 since no wifi, and if works fine. I'm assuming you have the usb modem connected and then a free ethernet port. Are you on mac or windows?[/quote]

windows. so you basically connect the console to the laptop via the ethernet cord?

He has a USB modem... basically, instead of having an Ethernet port going into his computer, a USB cable goes into his computer and delivers data through the USB port instead of an Ethernet port. He's wondering if instead of plugging the USB cable into his computer, if he could just stick it in his PS3.

I'm not sure this would work... I don't think it will as USB modems are pretty rare.

My PS2 died in February, so I've been using my PS3 to play some PS2 games and *every* time I boot or quit a game, I have to restart my controller.

Is there any way of getting around this? It's really annoying.

This is normal and you just have to get used to it.

As the PS3 "shifts" (for lack of a better word) from the PS3 processor to the PS2, it seems to forget your controller is on. Is a quick tap of the PS button really that much of an inconvenience? No.

It's not that much of an inconvenience -- just lame design on Sony's part. I feel your pain, Nephlabobo, this is something Sony should have figured out (and/or should still figure out, if it's firmware fixable).

[quote name='Nogib']This is normal and you just have to get used to it.

As the PS3 "shifts" (for lack of a better word) from the PS3 processor to the PS2, it seems to forget your controller is on. Is a quick tap of the PS button really that much of an inconvenience? No.[/quote]

No, but it would be nice if there was a way around it is all.

If there isn't, there isn't.

bread's done
Back