PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

Got DeadNation and LBP from my nephew.
Planning on dl'ing from my account dead nation and infamous.

Checked out deadnation on youtube, looks pretty cool. SmashTV days. =P

if youre having trouble finding shards i believe if you press r3 or l3 you send out a echo wave of sorts and shards show up on it.

[quote name='lokizz']if youre having trouble finding shards i believe if you press r3 or l3 you send out a echo wave of sorts and shards show up on it.[/QUOTE]

There are a couple shards that won't show up if you just run around spamming the sonar/echo. One is on a piling pretty far out in the water and I believe the other is up on the really tall building on the final island.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']There are a couple shards that won't show up if you just run around spamming the sonar/echo. One is on a piling pretty far out in the water and I believe the other is up on the really tall building on the final island.[/QUOTE]

yeah but the reality is neither you nor i know which ones people are having trouble finding. could be the one you mentioned could be another one somewhere else if they know about and use the sonar dealy they can use that to help them locate them quicker. even when using a guide it can be hard to find some shards.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah but the reality is neither you nor i know which ones people are having trouble finding. could be the one you mentioned could be another one somewhere else if they know about and use the sonar dealy they can use that to help them locate them quicker. even when using a guide it can be hard to find some shards.[/QUOTE]

Haha. I wasnt suggesting he not spam the sonar, just that in addition to spamming sonar he should be wary of those shards that won't show up and are commonly missed.

:whee: Two more PS3 and PSP games inbound due to my sub account being activated on my PS3. Now all I need to do is decide if I wanna log into my secondary sub account to get Super Stardust HD and when to activate my second free month of PSN+.:lol:

Finally got around to grabbing the Welcome Back games.

PS3: InFamous, Super Stardust HD
PSP: LittleBigPlanet, Killzone: Liberation

I already had Killzone on UMD, but had no interest in Pursuit Force and the ModNation Racers demo wasn't all that fun for me IMO.

Ok, I'm getting these...

PS3: Wipeout HD, Dead Nation
PSP: Not sure yet.

I never downloaded anything from PSN before, so how does the PSP thing work? Do you download it to the PS3 then hook your PSP up to it? Or do you turn on the PSP and do the download there?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Ok, I'm getting these...

PS3: Wipeout HD, Dead Nation
PSP: Not sure yet.

I never downloaded anything from PSN before, so how does the PSP thing work? Do you download it to the PS3 then hook your PSP up to it? Or do you turn on the PSP and do the download there?[/QUOTE]

You can download it to your PS3 first and then connect your PSP or download it straight from your PSP. It works either way. I had to use my PSP to download from my EU account though, didn't let me download the welcome back PSP games to my PS3 for it. But if you're using a US account it should be fine.

[quote name='sunghost']You can download it to your PS3 first and then connect your PSP or download it straight from your PSP. It works either way. I had to use my PSP to download from my EU account though, didn't let me download the welcome back PSP games to my PS3 for it. But if you're using a US account it should be fine.[/QUOTE]
Thanks.

I decided on Killzone Liberation and Little Big Planet for the PSP.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Ya, when I was down to only a few shards I printed out a map with shards on it and traveled to each location where there was a shard on the map and crossed off if there wasn't there. Pretty tedious.[/QUOTE]

I used a map from the beginning of my second playthrough and crossed them off as I got them. Better but still tedious, and I still missed one, but came across it eventually while continuing my playthrough.

Came back to get my 2nd PSP game and lo and behold, I get the no content was found error. I try to to get to my account management settings and I get the under maintenance message.

It's been two weeks. They should've gotten their shit together by now, excluding the fact that the Playstation Store has executed the welcome back program in the worst way possible.

Finally got my 2 free games, Dead Nation and Super Stardust HD. Sucks that they didn't include all the DLC of Super Stardust like they did with Wipeout and Fury though.

Noticed that Hong Kong's PSN and PS Store is up and running now. They have the same lineup of games as Japan will offer, but these should be in English.

[quote name='madbst'] Sucks that they didn't include all the DLC of Super Stardust like they did with Wipeout and Fury though.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I got that one and I love it so far, but doubt I'll actually buy the DLC.

This has probably been asked before, but after the PS+ month is over, do you still get to keep the free dynamic themes that are for PS+ only members? I know that the free games expire, but I wasn't sure about the themes.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']This has probably been asked before, but after the PS+ month is over, do you still get to keep the free dynamic themes that are for PS+ only members? I know that the free games expire, but I wasn't sure about the themes.[/QUOTE]

Themes and avatars are all yours, even after the expiration.

Alright, I've had Wipeout HD way before the outage. But when in the fuck did Wipeout HD start doing Honda ad's during the progression bar loading screen.

[quote name='GTmaster39']Alright, I've had Wipeout HD way before the outage. But when in the fuck did Wipeout HD start doing Honda ad's during the progression bar loading screen.[/QUOTE]

They brought loading screen ads back? Ads were briefly introduced two years ago but were killed off rather quickly after tons of people complained that it artificially made the load times longer.

Ad intro: http://kotaku.com/5328983/wipeout-hd-gets-loading-screen-ads-adds-user-fury
Ad outro: http://kotaku.com/5329492/sony-scraps-wipeout-hd-loading-ad

EDIT: My bad; sounds like the ads are here to stay in Wipeout HD but won't affect performance. It was just the one State Farm video that was removed, apparently.

[quote name='MICHAE2414']They brought loading screen ads back? Ads were briefly introduced two years ago but were killed off rather quickly after tons of people complained that it artificially made the load times longer.

Ad intro: http://kotaku.com/5328983/wipeout-hd-gets-loading-screen-ads-adds-user-fury
Ad outro: http://kotaku.com/5329492/sony-scraps-wipeout-hd-loading-ad

EDIT: My bad; sounds like the ads are here to stay in Wipeout HD but won't affect performance. It was just the one State Farm video that was removed, apparently.[/QUOTE]

Now its all coming back to me. I remember when that happened, but when I bought the game they had just removed the ads entirely so I never had a chance to experience the extended load times. Either way, this sucks. As long as the ads don't start showing up on the track I'll be cool with it.

I picked up LBP and Infamous. I already knew that I liked LBP and had traded that game in a long time ago. I'm actually enjoying Infamous. I wasn't too sure of what to expect out of it but so far I'm liking it.

I was really impressed with LBP at first. It seems like a really well put-together game. I really want to like it, but I don't think I can play it anymore. The physics and controls are just awful. Obviously it was a design decision; the devs could have given it nice tight controls without the awful floatiness and unresponsive jump button. I really don't understand why they did it the way they did. :(

What.....the.....fuck!?!?!? I downloaded Super Stardust HD last night/this morning and when I went to play it there's a 235mb 'patch' for it? Geez. Are all of these free titles broken? I think I had a pretty large patch with Dead Nation too.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What.....the.....fuck!?!?!? I downloaded Super Stardust HD last night/this morning and when I went to play it there's a 235mb 'patch' for it? Geez. Are all of these free titles broken? I think I had a pretty large patch with Dead Nation too.[/QUOTE]

Super stardust HD had DLC over time and thats most likely what you're downloading. I think its bullshit they didnt include that in the WB package... Same goes for Littlebigplanet and wipeout (fury of course =P), but Dead Nation was broken. The patch for that if I recall fixed mic issues online.

[quote name='admiralvic']Super stardust HD had DLC over time and thats most likely what you're downloading. I think its bullshit they didnt include that in the WB package... Same goes for Littlebigplanet and wipeout (fury of course =P), but Dead Nation was broken. The patch for that if I recall fixed mic issues online.[/QUOTE]
Seeing as how my one buddy and I couldn't even get it to connect for long enough to even play multiplayer co-op and we live in the same city, I'm likely NOT going to even be bothering with mp unless it's of the couch variety with another buddy of mine who just bought my 120gb slim from me.;)

Of course, right now he doesn't have internet, so I'd have to lug the 120gb back here and download it on my slow ass connection for the time being.

I definitely was disappointed that the LBP they gave us wasn't the GOTY edition, which I've had about 2-3 times already as it is, but seeing as I never finished the original game and I never had any desire to make my own level(s) I don't think I'd really miss the GOTY content anyway.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Seeing as how my one buddy and I couldn't even get it to connect for long enough to even play multiplayer co-op and we live in the same city, I'm likely NOT going to even be bothering with mp unless it's of the couch variety with another buddy of mine who just bought my 120gb slim from me.;)

Of course, right now he doesn't have internet, so I'd have to lug the 120gb back here and download it on my slow ass connection for the time being.

I definitely was disappointed that the LBP they gave us wasn't the GOTY edition, which I've had about 2-3 times already as it is, but seeing as I never finished the original game and I never had any desire to make my own level(s) I don't think I'd really miss the GOTY content anyway.[/QUOTE]

I think its for the best that they didnt give GOTY. Most of what you got were just costumes, but the lacking MGS sucks. Atleast with nothing extra free people dont complain that they rather have water than history or some other BS.

[quote name='admiralvic']I think its for the best that they didnt give GOTY. Most of what you got were just costumes, but the lacking MGS sucks. Atleast with nothing extra free people dont complain that they rather have water than history or some other BS.[/QUOTE]
People will still complain regardless. Either way, I didn't expect anything from Sony after the outage, so this was definitely a nice gesture on their part. Although if it were a choice between disc version or digital download, I'd definitely prefer to not have to download stuff for an hour or more.

But beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.:whistle2:#

I too got Dead Nation and Super Stardust. It was a tough call though; LBP and Wipeout were tempting, but I've played LBP and while part of me loves the unique feeling, most of me hates the controls.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What.....the.....fuck!?!?!? I downloaded Super Stardust HD last night/this morning and when I went to play it there's a 235mb 'patch' for it? Geez. Are all of these free titles broken? I think I had a pretty large patch with Dead Nation too.[/QUOTE]
Actually every game on the PSN is like this I believe. I don't know why they just don't put a patched version when you download it. I mean not everyone has a fast connection and I don't want to spend an hour downloading a 235mb patch that I can't background download, but hey. It's free so there is really nothing to complain about.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Actually every game on the PSN is like this I believe. I don't know why they just don't put a patched version when you download it. I mean not everyone has a fast connection and I don't want to spend an hour downloading a 235mb patch that I can't background download, but hey. It's free so there is really nothing to complain about.[/QUOTE]
True. Free is good. I've been meaning to go back to Dead Nation, but I just can't seem to find the time as of late(what with my hitting up Blockbuster stores like a nut:razz:).:cry:

Might hold out on that PS+ thing then.

I've only picked out Wipeout HD so far. Will probably get Super Stardust since I own the discs of the other two. Haven't decided on the PSP games.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Actually every game on the PSN is like this I believe. I don't know why they just don't put a patched version when you download it. I mean not everyone has a fast connection and I don't want to spend an hour downloading a 235mb patch that I can't background download, but hey. It's free so there is really nothing to complain about.[/QUOTE]
Yep, seems that all the PSN store downloads are of version 1.00 of whatever game, and all the patches come afterward. Just be glad it's not the game PAIN that you're downloading (it must've had 20+ patches, heh).

Stay away from DC universe online lol

[quote name='InfinityCartier']Stay away from DC universe online lol[/QUOTE]
Don't worry. Unless some store(besides Target, which hasn't clearanced it here yet:roll:) clearances it out for $15 or so I'm not going to buy the game, since I don't like the idea of a monthly fee. Besides which, I only want to play it to make an EL HOARDO character, complete with a t-shirt that says 'Haters Gonna Hate' on it.:lol:

So yeah, I doubt I'd be playing the game beyond the 30 day freebie code they give ya in the package.;) Besides which I've heard that the servers for it are dead already.:whistle2:#

[quote name='Josh5890']Not sure if this is often on sale but the PS Store has a 2 year deal for PS+ for only $44.99. Very tempting...[/QUOTE]

umm... really hope this was sarcastic.

A reminder that the free 1-year identify theft protection offer from Sony and AllClear ID has to be redeemed by this coming Tuesday, June 28, and you have to request an activation code from Sony before then which they say takes up to 72 hours.

Identity Theft Protection Offer for PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ Customers

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment have made arrangements with Debix to offer AllClear ID PLUS to eligible PlayStation®Network and Qriocity account holders in the United States who are concerned about identity theft.

AllClear ID PLUS is a premium identity protection service that uses advanced technology to deliver alerts to help protect you from identity theft. The service also provides identity theft insurance coverage and hands-on help from expert fraud investigators.

Sony has arranged, at no charge to eligible PlayStation®Network and Qriocity account holders, for twelve months of this service to be provided by Debix to those who choose to enroll. In order to be eligible, account holders must be residents of the United States with active accounts as of April 20, 2011.

If interested, please submit your email address by June 28, 2011, at 11:59:59 PM CST at: us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/identity-theft-protection.

Please note, you must enter the same email address used to register your PlayStation®Network or Qriocity account. Once your email address is validated, you will be sent your AllClear ID PLUS activation code.

I just got back in the PS3 game on Friday, had my old account still so I got in on the free schwag. I picked Dead Nation, which is off the chain and Infamous. I'm digging the whole PS Plus concept, been playing Streets Of Rage 2.

You know what's funny? One of the free games IS broken for me. I didn't think anything like this would happen to me. The game in question is Wipeout HD, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

The singleplayer is perfectly fine, but when I try to create an online game it gives me a network error, and if I join any games my PS3 freezes near the start of the race every time. The odd thing is this only happens on my MAIN account. I tried the other accounts I have and it works fine. I have no idea how one account can be bugged yet all other accounts work.

I tried googling for information about it and issues like mine seem to be pretty common dating back to around 2008 or 2009. I found an old thread about it with a fix for it which was to get SCEE to unbug/reset your account for you. I don't know if you can get this done by contacting SCEE directly, but there was a guy that had a couple of contacts in SCEE that helped out a bunch of people with this issue and got it fixed for them. I PM'd the guy asking for any advice or if he could get his contacts to help and it was a no go, he said the contacts he had were no longer apart of SCEE and that I was the 5th one this week to contact him about the issue lol.

I suppose it's not a big deal, since I can use others accounts rather than my main to play the game online, but I won't be able to get the online trophies on my main account. There's also the possibility that my other accounts will eventually get bugged in the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sunghost']The singleplayer is perfectly fine, but when I try to create an online game it gives me a network error, and if I join any games my PS3 freezes near the star of the race every time. The odd thing is this only happens on my MAIN account. I tried the other accounts I have and it works fine. I have no idea how one account can be bugged yet all other accounts work.[/QUOTE]
Great, I haven't tried Wipeout yet but it'd be just my luck if I get the same thing. On another note, Dead Nation also has an online co-op issue where you get disconnected every time you move the left joystick. Apparently they never anticipated the game becoming this widespread, so there's an issue server side (they're supposedly working on a fix, but who knows). From what I've read, there is a workaround but it's stupid.

[quote name='Jodou']Great, I haven't tried Wipeout yet but it'd be just my luck if I get the same thing. On another note, Dead Nation also has an online co-op issue where you get disconnected every time you move the left joystick. Apparently they never anticipated the game becoming this widespread, so there's an issue server side (they're supposedly working on a fix, but who knows). From what I've read, there is a workaround but it's stupid.[/QUOTE]

Ouch, I was planning on playing it online with a friend in a couple days.. that's disappointing to hear. I haven't played it online yet, I hope it doesn't happen to me.

bread's done
Back