PSP Go thread-

[quote name='Ecofreak']For people who are concerned with the placement of the analogue stick, the system itself looks like it has the same dimensions of the regular PS controller -- and people seem to be just find with that. My only problem w/ the PSP analogue stick is how low it is the base; but then again, I've only played a PSP for ~30 minutes total.[/QUOTE]

I'm not fine with it (the DS3 layout) and I know most gamers I talk to aren't either. Also note that the PSP go lacks the palm grip surface resting under your thumb-swell that the DS3 and older PS controllers possess; So balancing it without much support and reaching your thumb over to the center numb looks uncomfortable, but like I said- only hands on will tell.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Given the track record of recent Sony losses they aren't like MS and can afford massive losses so this will be priced at the point with little to no loss and maybe even a slight profit.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid your right, I predict a higher than expected launch price.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I'm not fine with it (the DS3 layout) and I know most gamers I talk to aren't either. Also note that the PSP go lacks the palm grip surface resting under your thumb-swell that the DS3 and older PS controllers possess; So balancing it without much support and reaching your thumb over to the center numb looks uncomfortable, but like I said- only hands on will tell.[/QUOTE]

Well that's strange -- because a the DS3 is configured just like the DS2 which was part of the PS2, which sold millions and millions of consoles. Just seems...unlikely, that most gamers you know would be so against a controller that's been in use for...over 10 years now? Guess the Xbox controller must have been sliced bread to you all.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the analogue nub will be satisfactory, although more cautious than optimistic.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Given the track record of recent Sony losses they aren't like MS and can afford massive losses so this will be priced at the point with little to no loss and maybe even a slight profit.[/QUOTE]

Things the PSP GO will lose compared to PSP Olds:
- Some Size
- UMD Port

Things it will Gain:
- Bluetooth
- 16 GB internal storage (probably flash based or some equivalent)
- Sliding mechanism

I don't expect the price point to be all that different -- especially considering that they're going to be targeting the same casual audience as the iPhone. May not be the best news for we core gamers, but hopefully Sony will have realized that throwing in everything and the kitchen sink doesn't translate into sales if people can't really understand the value associated with the hardware.

[quote name='Mr. Twist']I love how Sony built in Bluetooth 2.1 into the PSP Go so you could used the PS3's Cotroller to play it WOW!!! so Hyped.

Plus with PS3 remote play you can basically PLay your PS3 games on your PSP Go anywhere you are basically making it a Portable PS3[/QUOTE]

you obviously know little of what you speak

What is the point of using a separate controller on a portable system?

Have you ever used remote play? As far as gaming goes, it seems its only worthwhile purpose is to tell you what game is currently in your PS3.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Well that's strange -- because a the DS3 is configured just like the DS2 which was part of the PS2, which sold millions and millions of consoles. Just seems...unlikely, that most gamers you know would be so against a controller that's been in use for...over 10 years now? Guess the Xbox controller must have been sliced bread to you all.
[/QUOTE]

Since the introduction of an upper mounted asymmetric analog stick has proven significantly more comfortable and functional for most gamers I know- the dated (a 10 year old design dating back to the PS1 dual) and poor ergonomics of the low-center left analog seem a poor design choice and a step backwards from even the original PSP.

& FWIW: yes most gamers I know do not like the archaic Dual Shock analog layout anymore.

And how exactly is a "sliding mechanism" a "gain" this is usually a negative for me as IME it greatly increases device failure/breakage. I would rather it clam-shell open and closed to protect the screen and provide more controller area, but I'm sure that would make it look too much like the DS for Sony's taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That looks bad. No way it will be less than $200 and I'm sure you won't be able to transfer UMD games to it. Looks like my configured PSP 2000 is still tops!

[quote name='62t']The hackers havent done much with PSP 3000 or PS3[/QUOTE]

True but they've made small strides that could potentially lead into something huge. I'm not holding my breath though but it's nice to speculate.

I wish it took MS Duos instead of M2 though just because it's more readily available and that I have several unused ones sitting around :cry:.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']

Seems I am not alone in the "it's hideous" camp. It's not banana controller bad but . . . :puke: (However, I often find myself wishing the banana controller was released- As my disdain for the DS3 grows daily).[/QUOTE]

You and I both know you'd buy a PS3 Banana Controller. $250 price point...maybe. 16gb of space might be the telling factor here. Bluetooth is a surprise, but the Start/Select button placement is bad (it's where a 2nd stick should be, and we all know it). Other than that, it looks like the bad mockup 1up did.

Oh, and regarding the sliding nature. They missed the boat on this because it's not like the DS/GB in where the screen was protected when it's closed. A feature I like.

[quote name='knightsdwn']
I wish it took MS Duos instead of M2 though just because it's more readily available and that I have several unused ones sitting around :cry:.[/QUOTE]

Hrmm, thats another issue for me. I haven't bought any MS micros and really don't want to have to. I am happily using nothing but SD's and microSDs with the exception of my DSLR (CF) and Camcorder (MSduos).

[quote name='KingBroly']You and I both know you'd buy a PS3 Banana Controller. $250 price point...maybe. 16gb of space might be the telling factor here. Bluetooth is a surprise, but the Start/Select button placement is bad (it's where a 2nd stick should be, and we all know it). Other than that, it looks like the bad mockup 1up did.

Oh, and regarding the sliding nature. They missed the boat on this because it's not like the DS/GB in where the screen was protected when it's closed. A feature I like.[/QUOTE]

:lol: You know it, with my Peyronie's I would definitely be more comfortable with the banana-rang. ;)

Indeed, the slide could end up being problematic.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Is the Screen OLD? If so that's a big check mark in the I want one column.[/QUOTE]

All signs point to no. I would think that if it was OLED, Sony would have made it clear in one of the slides. The screen segment also looks a bit too thick, going against OLED's usual paper-thin profile; though the fact that the screen is in its own segment should be proof enough, as such a design would be problematic for OLED. It's a nice tech on paper, but the simple fact is that OLED is far too early in development to surpass LCD in the case of a device like a portable game console. It is still too expensive and has some basic problems that need to be solved before it would be of practical use in this situation.

As for my thoughts: It's an interesting design, and it seems to side-step the PSP's biggest challenge, though it may simultaneously serve to exacerbate a different flaw.

At first, I was a bit negative on the control layout, but after looking at it some more, it seems to work, though I really can't comment on the ergonomics. The placement and design of the Start/Select buttons is pretty odd, but I see no indication that it will cause any problems. The sliding function is stylistically interesting, but nowadays seems functionally useless due to the lack of a touchscreen. I just hope that Sony at least tries to make the most of it with some basic precautions: 1) Strong Anti-scratch coating for the screen. 2) A really
really really really really really really really really really
really sturdy sliding mechanism.

From a consumer analysis point-of-view, I really can't see any basic functional advantage that this has over the current model. Unless it has some new specs, it looks like shelling out more cash for a more narrow range of buying options. You can already download all of the current and future games available on PSN to the older models, but you still have the option of buying them in-store on UMD. You lose nothing by going with the older model, which is an advantage in one case (No forced obsolescence), but is at the same time becomes a disadvantage for the Go! itself.

As I said, it's an interesting design, and an interesting concept to watch, but I would have rather that they had saved this design for a year, add touchscreen functionality to give the sliding a purpose, put a second analog nub where the start/select keys are (The circle shape is practically asking for a nub), move the start/select button to the lower part of the control layout, and make the major internal upgrades that would turn it into the PSP2.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']It takes M2 over Pro Duos? I missed that to.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember reading the spec rundown on Engadget and seeing the Go only taking M2s.
I've actually checked the prices of these M2s on Amazon and they aren't that bad at all. Roughly 13 to 16 smackers for a 4GB stick is very reasonable.

Keep in mind that the internal 16gb flash memory is just that, flash memory. It's the same stuff that is put, very cheaply, into USB flash drives that practically everyone carries around these days. So that amount of internal memory won't have that bad a price influence.

The bluetooth integrations sounds like it has the latest format, which I hope means you can send all audio through bluetooth so you can hear regular game audio, not just voice chat. It's also likely you can control the PSP's music player from

I'm currently torn between this, and an iPod Touch as I have a mobile gadget budgeted in. The touch is way more forward looking than the PSP. However, if Sony announces certain kinds of support for the PSP my opinion may shift back. But they'll have to allow almost all developers to develop on the PSP and upload to the PSN, much like the apple app store

[quote name='Cao Cao']All signs point to no. I would think that if it was OLED, Sony would have made it clear in one of the slides. The screen segment also looks a bit too thick, going against OLED's usual paper-thin profile; though the fact that the screen is in its own segment should be proof enough, as such a design would be problematic for OLED. It's a nice tech on paper, but the simple fact is that OLED is far too early in development to surpass LCD in the case of a device like a portable game console. It is still too expensive and has some basic problems that need to be solved before it would be of practical use in this situation.

As for my thoughts: It's an interesting design, and it seems to side-step the PSP's biggest challenge, though it may simultaneously serve to exacerbate a different flaw.

At first, I was a bit negative on the control layout, but after looking at it some more, it seems to work, though I really can't comment on the ergonomics. The placement and design of the Start/Select buttons is pretty odd, but I see no indication that it will cause any problems. The sliding function is stylistically interesting, but nowadays seems functionally useless due to the lack of a touchscreen. I just hope that Sony at least tries to make the most of it with some basic precautions: 1) Strong Anti-scratch coating for the screen. 2) A really
really really really really really really really really really
really sturdy sliding mechanism.

From a consumer analysis point-of-view, I really can't see any basic functional advantage that this has over the current model. Unless it has some new specs, it looks like shelling out more cash for a more narrow range of buying options. You can already download all of the current and future games available on PSN to the older models, but you still have the option of buying them in-store on UMD. You lose nothing by going with the older model, which is an advantage in one case (No forced obsolescence), but is at the same time becomes a disadvantage for the Go! itself.

As I said, it's an interesting design, and an interesting concept to watch, but I would have rather that they had saved this design for a year, add touchscreen functionality to give the sliding a purpose, put a second analog nub where the start/select keys are (The circle shape is practically asking for a nub), move the start/select button to the lower part of the control layout, and make the major internal upgrades that would turn it into the PSP2.[/QUOTE]

You are wrong on so many accounts let me try.

#1. OLED is cheaper than LCD as more and more products start to use it price will come down, in the end it will be cheaper than even LCD's are now.

#2. This is a Portable gaming console, which means use in sunlight daylight, OLED destroys LCD for use in Sunlight, It looks amazing

#3. OLED is not some new SciFi Technology 2 years or 10 years away. You can buy a Nokia N85 Today which has an OLED screen and its like $99 used on ebay for that phone.

#4. Sony already uses similar OLED screen on other products and mp3 player that you can buy today.

#5. People need to STOP crying about the Analog Nub and why it does not have 2 Stciks.
Because most people will end up using your PS3's Bluetooth Dual Shock 3 controller since the PSP Go supports Bluetooth 2.1

#6. Price has already leaked from other documents $199.99 PSP 3000 will remain on sale at $149.99.

This follows Nintendo's model of a $129.99 DS Lite and a $199 DSi

also they can not price it at $249.99 because all that will do is drive Nintendo Wii sales.

It has no UMD Drive but there will be an External UMD Drive that plays old UMD games (if you want to buy it)

Or just wait for the Crack since 100% of PSP games can be ripped off the UMD to a MS. There a YouTube video of an 8 year old doing it.

Still should have been this I guess Sony is waiting to phase out the PSP 3000 for a Full PSP 2 keep in mind this is NOT the PSP 2

This is more like DS Lite to DSi,, Wait for a True PSP 2 or PSP HD in 2010, or 2011 when Mini Bluray gets released by Sony remember SONY gets to Decide when Mini Bluray is released they Controll BLURAY. And therefore they controll the market.

http://gamehunter.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/psp2_00.jpg PSP 2 or PSP HD Touch Screen, Mini Bluray Drive 802.11n and HDMI output, G-Sensor. 2010 or Holiday 2011

[quote name='knightsdwn']Yeah, I remember reading the spec rundown on Engadget and seeing the Go only taking M2s.
I've actually checked the prices of these M2s on Amazon and they aren't that bad at all. Roughly 13 to 16 smackers for a 4GB stick is very reasonable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah M2's are actualy pretty cheap.

@ Mr Twist

Good points, but where did you read external UMD player? I also don't see why Sony would go with "mini" blu-rays if the biggest point of going digital only is to stop piracy/the convenience of not carrying games all over the place.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Yeah M2's are actualy pretty cheap.

@ Mr Twist

Good points, but where did you read external UMD player? I also don't see why Sony would go with "mini" blu-rays if the biggest point of going digital only is to stop piracy/the convenience of not carrying games all over the place.[/QUOTE]

Well it came from the same source who leaked the TRUE info about the SLim PS3 and the PSP Go.

And UMD was an experiment, that never had a chance.

Mini Bluray is controlled by Sony and is on Their own Roadmap.

With Mini Bluray you won't have to buy the same movie Twice

Sony's Roadmap has Dual Disk cases on it for like $5 more, You get a Bluray and a Mini Bluray Disk

Digital Distribution is ok But CD's sales continue and people still buy Physical Media

Sony has stated it is Commiitted to Retail chain to supply them with Physical media

Mini Bluray can hold an entire Bluray but its mainly Targeted Long term at Replacing CD's with Higher quality Audio beyond CD's higher quality audio than Even Mp3's or iTunes downloads have.

For the same Price as a CD but will have Music video for the songs already on the Mini Bluray

I just realized something. I'm ot geting my hopes up uver it, but what we see may very well be a prototype version of the psp-go, they could go the same route as the ps3 "boomarang" controller and chage the design due to negative consumer reactions.

well for $199 do you want a DSi?? or a PSP Go... I think the answer is clear.

And with PS3's hitting $299

I would personally wait for a True PSP 2 with enhanced graphics, basically the PSP Go is still a PSP

in a Mylo's body

http://gizmodo.com/5273258/so-the-psp-go-is-basically-a-sony-mylo-2-with-gaming-then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp6HajHCECA&feature=related

I would not be surpised if SONY reused the same Mylo 2 touch screen,

Since for Cost saving reasons are reusing the Mylo 2's Body, maybe even the Mylo 2's Touch screen, and OS

Its like Sony had a meeting and decided to combine the Mylo 2 and PSP.

As a cheap In between before launching the PSP 2.

basically if a PSP 3000 had sex with a Mylo 2 you would get a PSP Go

Besides Sony has already stopped Manufacturing PSP 3000 and the retail channel is almost dry.

The Plant is making PSP Go's now

Mr.Twist:
I still don't see mention of the OLED on this device, I guess it would be nice though. I dunno about an external UMD player either, Sony wants the UMD to die, so why extend the life beyond where it is now? More likely they will release games both as disc and downloads for a while, then phase out UMD totally.
I don't see mini Blu-ray being successful either, Sony tried something similar with UMD/DVD releases in one box, and you don't see those around anywhere now.

I'm not buying this as it stands, unless the price is really impressive, or it impresses me in store.
:?: And where the heck is the video-out cable? Why would Sony get rid of that?

[quote name='johnnypark']No mention of battery life... hopefully it'll be an improvement over the current PSP.[/QUOTE]

Battery Life is already extended by hours when reading off a memory card as opposed to UMD. Atleast thats what all my non-paying gamers tell me :p

Also I think we are all forgetting one huge thing: Prices on games. If games are download only, what do you guys think about prices drops on download only titles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHZOv0EIjQo&feature=related

Make your Mylo 2 into an iPhone and probably with some simple fixes make you PSP Go into an iPhone

We don't know much watch the 2 Mylo 2 vids

My guess is that the PSP Go has a camera on the back.

If the PSP Go does have a Touch screen it will simply be huge.

Eve if it does not, it will be a huge seller

Sony will be phasing out the PSP 3000, they don;t even advertise it at all.

Its just too bad this leaked instead of a Huge E3 announcment.

IF the PSP Go is priced at $249.99, I can just see hundreds of E3 goers Booing it live on stage during Sony's E3 Press conference

Look at the DSi it was cracked on Day 1

because the basic root design is still the same same with the PSP Go its still just a PSP in a new case.

I like the design. No added analog stick sucks, but like some others said, I can understand Sony saving that for the PSP2. It looks much more efficient than the the PSP-2000, and battery life will be much, much improved. I can't wait for E3 to hear some more details!

I'm surprised it hasn't been touched on, buit the inclusion of bluetooth is pretty big IMHO... why?

well, for starters PS3 controllers are bluetooth, so it would have easier functionality with PS3 integration.

Example: Killzone PSP $16 (plus taxes I'm assuming for everything) eBay: $8 or less. Brand new on Wal-Mart.com for $11.
The Con, Field Commander, Gangs of London ($23? WTF?), Locoroco 1 $23, PaRappa $23 and many more can be found a lot cheaper B&M and on eBay. These prices do not bold well for future download only games

Hopefully third party games end up a lot cheaper.

It looks ok but I'm going to pass unless I start seeing some real game support. I wonder how I'm supposed to get all my UMD PSP games on this thing. Will I be able to slide the system right into my pocket?

[quote name='Blackout']It looks ok but I'm going to pass unless I start seeing some real game support. I wonder how I'm supposed to get all my UMD PSP games on this thing. Will I be able to slide the system right into my pocket?[/QUOTE]

it's small enough now to actually put in your pocket. I'd advise against it personally since PSP screens always scratch easily. Here's hoping for some crazy ass logitech case now.

I would think price drops would have to occur on the older psp games. I think $10 will be the standard price for most umd games for the old psp, while new releases will get $20-$30 price tags.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']it's small enough now to actually put in your pocket. I'd advise against it personally since PSP screens always scratch easily. Here's hoping for some crazy ass logitech case now.[/QUOTE]

Well that's good. A handheld gaming device that actually comfortably fits into my pocket for once.

Nintendo Phasing out GBA carts

Sony Phasing out UMD games

How do we know this, No UMD Drive in PSP- Go

I expect the PSP 3000 to have a strong 2009 and 2010
But Sony is following Nintendo's model of how they transitioned from the GBA to DS carts

at first GBA and DS were sold side by side in about 1 year or less developers had switched over to all DS development.

at first Developers will favor PSP 3000 games because

#1. There are 50 Million PSP's world wide

if a developer makes game even if 1% of PSP owner buy it he will make a profit.

Where as PSP Go development there are 0 Zero PSP Go owners,

Developers will have to side by side develop Games for the PSP Go download only port and a version for the PSP 3000 which will sell.

NO ONE will be making PSP Go exclusive games for a while

We Still need to know if the PSP Go has a New faster CPU or GPU

Like the Nintendo DSi its 4x as powerfull as the DS Lite but No one is making games for it because very few people own a DSi so making DSi only games even though they can look 2x as good as DS Lite games it would not turn a profit.

I think Sony may come up with some kind of Mail in Service, where you Mail in your old UMD and $5 and get a Digital Download Code for the game you sent it.

But you won't be getting your UMD back for licencing and DRM reasons Developers want it to be 1 person 1 price 1 licence

Like Nintendo has on its Wii.

No more trading in Old games at Gamestop

Trust me Sony and developers like EA. Don't like it when they are loosing money and Gamestop is making BILLIONs in profit from Sony and EA's hard work.

I'm going to see where this goes, if the prices on the downloadable games are decent enough I'll pick one up eventually.

That and I have to actually hold one to make sure it the controls work for me.

Sony Person 1: Shit man, we are losing this gen's console war to Microsoft and Nintendo is stomping a mud puddle in our ass in the handhelds.

Sony Person 2: Yeah, it is rough. We are bleeding money from our asses.

Sony Person 1: WTF should we do man!?!?

Sony Person 2: I don't know. This is tough. Maybe we could drop the price of the PS3 in anticipation of all the good games we will be showing at E3?

Sony Person 1: Nah...How bout we redesign the PSP the way all the gamers say we should?

Sony Person 2: Nope...I know...Lets take the current PSP and smash it into a Mylo. No disc/game drive/slot of any sort, smaller screen, only one sliding analog stick in a slightly different painful place, Make the controls slide under the screen thus giving more moveable parts to break and lets price it the same if not more than the already failing PSP!

Sony Person 1: Brilliant!

Sony Person 2: Brilliant!

So all of a sudden they'll start lowering the prices of PSN titles? I kinda doubt it. Just saying a lot of games that are $23 can be found cheaper elsewhere, and as a PSP GO! Owner you'll be stuck with the PSN prices unless they start doing deals similar to XBox Gold.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So all of a sudden they'll start lowering the prices of PSN titles? I kinda doubt it. Just saying a lot of games that are $23 can be found cheaper elsewhere, and as a PSP GO! Owner you'll be stuck with the PSN prices unless they start doing deals similar to XBox Gold.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but in tandem, I hope we see sales on PSN cards, thus making everything cheaper.

[quote name='Malik112099']Sony Person 1: Shit man, we are losing this gen's console war to Microsoft and Nintendo is stomping a mud puddle in our ass in the handhelds.

Sony Person 2: Yeah, it is rough. We are bleeding money from our asses.

Sony Person 1: WTF should we do man!?!?

Sony Person 2: I don't know. This is tough. Maybe we could drop the price of the PS3 in anticipation of all the good games we will be showing at E3?

Sony Person 1: Nah...How bout we redesign the PSP the way all the gamers say we should?

Sony Person 2: Nope...I know...Lets take the current PSP and smash it into a Mylo. No disc/game drive/slot of any sort, smaller screen, only one sliding analog stick in a slightly different painful place, Make the controls slide under the screen thus giving more moveable parts to break and lets price it the same if not more than the already failing PSP!

Sony Person 1: Brilliant!

Sony Person 2: Brilliant![/QUOTE]

Funny 'cause it's true.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm surprised it hasn't been touched on, buit the inclusion of bluetooth is pretty big IMHO... why?

well, for starters PS3 controllers are bluetooth, so it would have easier functionality with PS3 integration.[/QUOTE]

Thats a great point, bluetooth intergration also opens up a lot of possibilities for the CFW set.

Ill have to hold this before I pass judgement but at the very least Im gonna need it to be at a $129 price point or less...

[quote name='munch']The nub is in the worst position possible.[/QUOTE]
^^this, without more palm support this might be it's biggest flaw.

There is a good article on Crave about it. I will C&P the details into OP. The details have all been posted elsewhere but it's a pretty well fleshed out overview of the "thus far" knowledge base for it.
From the video, here's what we can glean so far:

Form factor: The PSP Go has a 3.8-inch wide screen (versus 4.3-inch on all previous PSP models). It's said to be 43 percent lighter than the PSP 3000, which means it would tip the scales at about 3.8 ounces. The PSP Go design is very reminiscent of the Sony Mylo--the screen slides up to reveal the controls.

Storage: The Go will offer 16GB of built-in flash memory, and it's expandable via a Memory Stick Micro slot. There is no UMD (Universal Media Disc) drive on the PSP Go. While that no doubt allows for the smaller size (and, we hope, the potential for better battery life), it also means there's no way to play existing PSP software you might own on the PSP Go.

Controls: While the layout may be different, the control scheme on the PSP Go looks to be little changed from earlier PSP models: a 4-way d-pad on the left, the standard quartet of geometrically coded Sony controls (circle, square, cross, triangle) on the right, select/start buttons in the center, and the PlayStation "home" button to the left of the screen.
A second analog control is always at or near the top of wish lists for PSP redesigns, so its absence is all but certain to get a thumbs-down from gamers. The single stick's placement--closer to the center of the control deck rather than the outside right, where it sits on earlier PSPs--could also be problematic. (That said, the Go control layout is more closely aligned to that of a traditional full-size PlayStation controller.)
None of the leaked info mentions touch-screen support, leading us to assume that the feature is not present on the PSP Go.

Wireless: In addition to certain Wi-Fi support, the PSP Go adds Bluetooth capability to the Sony handheld platform for the first time. In addition to support for standard Bluetooth headsets (and, presumably, A2DP headphones and speakers), Koller also specifies the ability to tether the PSP Go to a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone. The advantage of that isn't highlighted, but that would potentially allow Web browsing and online gaming via a tethered phone with a 3G data connection (when Wi-Fi access wasn't available).

Games: On the leaked Qore video, Koller specifically mentions PSP versions of Little Big Planet, Jak and Daxter, Gran Turismo, and "a new Metal Gear Solid." Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier had been previously announced and a PSP Gran Turismo was originally shown off way back at E3 2004. A PSP-optimized Little Big Planet has been all but confirmed, and a new MGS game will likely be welcomed with open arms (assuming it's more like the action-packed Portable Ops and less like the bizarre Metal Gear Acid).
Koller also emphasizes casual games in the interview, implying that Sony would like to see the PSP platform become home to shorter, simpler "pick up and play" games that can be downloaded from the PlayStation Store on a whim.
As for the downloadable titles: a wide selection already exists on the PlayStation Store for existing PSP owners, and it's long been clear that Sony has been moving away from UMD. The recent high-profile Patapon 2 game, for instance, is download-only.

Digital media support: Presumably, the Go will have at least the same baseline media features as the existing PSP models, which includes ample support for music, video, and photo files. Koller also mentions downloadable movies and TV shows (already available for purchase from Sony's existing iTunes-like PlayStation Store). Despite rumors of a downloadable music store, an online music option is notably not mentioned.

PS3 integration: Again, it appears that the existing interoperability between the PS3 and the PSP line will be carried over to the PSP Go. That includes the ability to cross-load some games and media, as well as the Remote Play option (access PS3-based content from the PSP over the Internet).

Price and availability: Koller says that it's coming in the fall of 2009; price isn't specified. He also confirms that the PSP 3000 will stay on the market concurrently. That, at least, is comfort for those of us who like to buy cheap used UMD-based PSP games, which are widely available.
Final thought: It's worth pointing out that the earlier leaks on this product--right down to the name--have been remarkably accurate.

Another pic:
pspgo_openfrt_610x343.jpg

Here are some size comparison shots.

psp_go_vs_psp_iphone.jpg

Touch screen capability would make sense for multimedia purposes like music and movies. I hope that game developers (pros and indie alike) don't develop for that exclusively as I hear iPhone games are really inaccurate to control. My cousin was telling me that Mega Man on the iPhone is practically impossible -- he can't even jump reliably!

BTW Rolento, that new signature gif is AWESOME!

I will likely end up with one near launch if i can find a deal. I love my PSP 2000 and this one looks rather awesome. The only thing i do not like is the analog stick placement, otherwise i like the rest of it just fine.

Funny doesn't the Mylo 2 have a 3.8 inch touch screen Hmmm???

Maybe that meeting at Sony someone asked WHAT can we do with all these Mylo 2 screens we ordered??

ALL that we know for sure is.

#1. Anyone who bought a PSP recently within 30 days Has just returned it to the store.

#2. All Sales of current PSP 3000 models have grinded to a halt.

#3. Trade in value of UMD games and Prices have just fallen by 40% so your UMD's are now worthless.

[quote name='Mr. Twist']Nintendo Phasing out GBA carts

Sony Phasing out UMD games

How do we know this, No UMD Drive in PSP- Go

I expect the PSP 3000 to have a strong 2009 and 2010
But Sony is following Nintendo's model of how they transitioned from the GBA to DS carts

at first GBA and DS were sold side by side in about 1 year or less developers had switched over to all DS development.

at first Developers will favor PSP 3000 games because

#1. There are 50 Million PSP's world wide

if a developer makes game even if 1% of PSP owner buy it he will make a profit.

Where as PSP Go development there are 0 Zero PSP Go owners,

Developers will have to side by side develop Games for the PSP Go download only port and a version for the PSP 3000 which will sell.

NO ONE will be making PSP Go exclusive games for a while

We Still need to know if the PSP Go has a New faster CPU or GPU

Like the Nintendo DSi its 4x as powerfull as the DS Lite but No one is making games for it because very few people own a DSi so making DSi only games even though they can look 2x as good as DS Lite games it would not turn a profit.[/QUOTE]

Not Really a good comparison. Thing is when the DS launched Nintendo had no idea if it would sell, and they (GBA and the DS)are 2 completely different systems. The PSP GO is a PSP with no UMD drive not a new system. Also both can play PSN bought games, and publishers like the download model because they can make more money; becuse In the retail stream they have to sell to a distributor who then sells to the retailer. In a PSN only model you don't press discs, cases, inserts, and no used market there for you can, but don't have to, sell at a lower price and make more money. Last your developing for a PSP there is no need to port anything the PSP hackers have been ripping games for years now to on the MS.

bread's done
Back