PSP Go thread-

Again I think no one has many problems buying digital distribution games as long as they can re-download them whenever they want and are $20 or less, or discounted compared to UMD format. Patapon 2 urked me in the sense in the UK it was on UMD, and in the US it was DD only so I didn't support it. Not because it was too expensive (It was already down to $16 at Target, and at this point I was actually holding out for a clearance and then I'll most likely buy it. Cause I'm a CheapAss).

But when you charge $40 or $30 for a game the general feeling is it has to be a AAA game or something you will very much enjoy because your left with the inability to resell to recoup the costs for the game. With that said there should be no excuse to not put out demos for every single PSP game in the future if they are going to charge that much so I can gauge if the game is worth my money or not.

Lastly the best thing about digital distribution is everyone can get a hold of the pie without worries that the game will become rare/flipped on eBay. Course this could also be the worst thing if for some reason years down the road Sony decides to take down the ability to re-download the games you just purchased. Imagine if all those PSN games went offline? It's a long shot but I would go nuts if all the XBLA games I purchased were not re-down loadable for free on the next XBox.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I'll concede that point if you can name for me one ubiquitous console that cannot be readily replaced via eBay or even third-party manufacturers.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Atari 2600 are in short supply in some parts of the country. So concede!

[quote name='h3llbring3r']This is exactly why you can only expect limited (if any) forward compatibility for current DLC purchases.[/quote]

You're missing my point. Sony gets $0.00 if people buy used physical media, and stores don't want to allocate large amounts of floor space to a dying generation as they don't produce as many sales as their newer generation brethren.

If all games now go through the Playstation Network via Digital Downloads, however, then Sony sees a piece of every one of those sales and it's in their best interest to foster desire amongst consumers to buy old games. Every purchase on PSN is pure bank (outside of network associated costs), and provides greater return on investment over a much longer period of time.

One other plus of DD:

Future Backwards Compat.

basically it's easier to have new hardware be backwards compatible with DD files than hard copies like putting a UMD into a PS3 or whatnot...

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Again I think no one has many problems buying digital distribution games as long as they can re-download them whenever they want and are $20 or less, or discounted compared to UMD format. Patapon 2 urked me in the sense in the UK it was on UMD, and in the US it was DD only so I didn't support it. Not because it was too expensive (It was already down to $16 at Target, and at this point I was actually holding out for a clearance and then I'll most likely buy it. Cause I'm a CheapAss).

But when you charge $40 or $30 for a game the general feeling is it has to be a AAA game or something you will very much enjoy because your left with the inability to resell to recoup the costs for the game. With that said there should be no excuse to not put out demos for every single PSP game in the future if they are going to charge that much so I can gauge if the game is worth my money or not.

Lastly the best thing about digital distribution is everyone can get a hold of the pie without worries that the game will become rare/flipped on eBay. Course this could also be the worst thing if for some reason years down the road Sony decides to take down the ability to re-download the games you just purchased. Imagine if all those PSN games went offline? It's a long shot but I would go nuts if all the XBLA games I purchased were not re-down loadable for free on the next XBox.[/QUOTE]
I'd imagine Sony would let users know well in advance that the service/feature was going down, not to mention release an update or something to allow users to transfer the games from their computer to their system. By that point, is piracy really an issue (assuming this is 1-2 generations down the road)?

[quote name='Ecofreak']I'm sure Atari 2600 are in short supply in some parts of the country. So concede![/QUOTE]

Ha ha no, 150 of them on eBay.

[quote name='Ecofreak']
You're missing my point. Sony gets $0.00 if people buy used physical media, and stores don't want to allocate large amounts of floor space to a dying generation as they don't produce as many sales as their newer generation brethren.
[/QUOTE]

No you missed my point: (as you stated) Just as Sony sees no sales revenue from last gen. used media in the next generation- (my point): It also sees no sales from already owned DLG from a past generation of console/HH, so why make the effort to continue to support it when they could force you to rebuy it for the next gen(s)? It's a parallel argument.

They've done it in one instance for profitability why not in another when the circumstances are nearly identical. The widgets are just used & tangible in one instance and in the other they are older & virtual. It's actually easier for them to deny you use in the latter instance.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Sounds like over 60% of the people have expressed hesitation, and I'm certainly one of them. But with Patapon 2 being released at $20, and that's a full title with great reviews, I can see a tiered pricing structure entering the market. [/QUOTE]

Except for the fact that the original Patapon sold for the exact same price as Patapon 2, was released on a disc, and also got great reviews.

The PSP Go is a fail on every level.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Again I think no one has many problems buying digital distribution games as long as they can re-download them whenever they want and are $20 or less, or discounted compared to UMD format. [/QUOTE]

The problem with this is that every game has a shelf life. Even DD games. And there's no guarantee you're going to be able to find a DD game later on if your copy gets corrupted, whereas a disc can be replaced.

[quote name='Monsta Mack'] Lastly the best thing about digital distribution is everyone can get a hold of the pie without worries that the game will become rare/flipped on eBay. Course this could also be the worst thing if for some reason years down the road Sony decides to take down the ability to re-download the games you just purchased. Imagine if all those PSN games went offline? It's a long shot but I would go nuts if all the XBLA games I purchased were not re-down loadable for free on the next XBox.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly the point - they won't be.

If you seriously think MS or Sony are just going to hand you all your DD games for free in the next iteration of consoles, you are sadly mistaken.

[quote name='SynGamer']I'd imagine Sony would let users know well in advance that the service/feature was going down, not to mention release an update or something to allow users to transfer the games from their computer to their system. By that point, is piracy really an issue (assuming this is 1-2 generations down the road)?[/QUOTE]

Well they would still want to sell those "old" games in the future - money is still be to made. Of course Piracy will still be around, and I'm sure someone will figure out how to pirate the PSP Go! Everything will be pirated eventually until On Live becomes the main source of gaming.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Ha ha no, 150 of them on eBay.[/QUOTE]

Psh -- anything w/ less than 1,000 units to me is hard to find. So the point clearly comes out to a draw due to our inability to agree upon a proper metric.

You were let off easy this time.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']No you missed my point: (as you stated) Just as Sony sees no sales revenue from last gen. used media in the next generation- (my point): It also sees no sales from already owned DLG from a past generation of console/HH, so why make the effort to continue to support it when they could force you to rebuy it for the next gen(s)? It's a parallel argument.

They've done it in one instance for profitability why not in another when the circumstances are nearly identical. The widgets are just used & tangible in one instance and in the other they are older & virtual. It's actually easier for them to deny you use in the latter instance.[/quote]

Ah, now I understand your argument -- thanks for the clarification.

Well, then Sony would have to hope that their install base continues to grow and become ubiquitous like a iPod (which is highly unlikely, IMHO, but still reach good market success), thereby justifying the cost of online hosting/storing/dissemination against potential profits of new consumers.

But it'd be easier to justify said capability if Sony has exclusive control of how consumers buy their products as they would clearly see the sales figures.

This is a pretty expensive test considering Sony's current standings. They could have released the PSP-3000 with a hard drive in place of the UMD drive and called that a test. Why go through a whole design process for a test? Doesn't make sense.

[quote name='Malik112099']This is a pretty expensive test considering Sony's current standings. They could have released the PSP-3000 with a hard drive in place of the UMD drive and called that a test. Why go through a whole design process for a test? Doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]
The Go is UMD less, much smaller, and 43% (I think) lighter. Perfect for a DD only system if you ask me.

I was thinking of jumping on the PSP deal from dell for a $120ish PSP. I decided to hold off because I heard of this PSP Go. If they can market this and support this as Sony's iPod Touch, they have a new customer right here. I would love a multimedia portable thingy, but I just fucking hate Apple products. Overpriced POS with a snobby consumer base.

[quote name='Malik112099']This is a pretty expensive test considering Sony's current standings. They could have released the PSP-3000 with a hard drive in place of the UMD drive and called that a test. Why go through a whole design process for a test? Doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]

Look at the cell phone market and then tell me it dosn't make sense.

If what have been leaked is true, I won't be buying that device. I don't really like DD only method for the reasons that have already been stated. That and my psp-2000 model works just fine for me.

[quote name='erehwon']If what have been leaked is true, I won't be buying that device. I don't really like DD only method for the reasons that have already been stated. That and my psp-2000 model works just fine for me.[/QUOTE]
I think that statement is true for most of us.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']

DD has better longterm value but it's a change most won't want to take.[/QUOTE]

How could you possibly justify that statement.

Short term, maybe but long-term? pfft.

The way PSN has priced PSP games in the past means this is going to cost far too much.

$30 downloadable portable games sucks. They really should just make PSP games be $20 at max and go for more sales.

Looks great, glad to see the analog moved more in line with how it is on Dualshocks. Love how you can close the controls and just have the screen by itself. 16 gb is great and not carrying games around will be awesome. Since I have a PSP already though I won't purchase this for a long time. People shouldn't complain about 2nd analog, it would make no sense to make controls that all previous owners would not be able to use. PSP2 though, yes. I hope they'll let owners of umds convert them to digital, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

People are getting mad about digital distribution, but we all knew this was coming and is the future for all consoles and handhelds... Regarding PS3 Slim, I read that it was a fake by two dudes who work in a factory, so they may have also had access to PSP GO's retail box and copied it. PS3 Slim is coming but what we've seen so far is probably fake.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']sadly.

DD has better longterm value[/QUOTE]

Yes, for companies who can make you buy the same content over and over again.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']come back to me in about 5-7 years.[/QUOTE]

ReRo is prophet of DD profit.

How about you come over to my house and play Gorf on my 5200 or some of my fantastic TurboGrafx titles now. No emulator or VC needed. ;)

[quote name='h3llbring3r']ReRo is prophet of DD profit.

How about you come over to my house and play Gorf on my 5200 or some of my fantastic TurboGrafx titles now. No emulator or VC needed. ;)[/QUOTE]

come back to me in about 5-7 years.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']come back to me in about 5-7 years.[/QUOTE]

You mean when you've bought all your games for the third time?

looks awesome, I am interested but with a perfectly fine psp 2000 it doesn't seem feasible to get one

psp go!

cracks @ it: psp go away, psp go home, psp go gettanotheranalog

I do think it looks promising, though.

Smaller screen sucks for me, I think the screen is small now. As it is on the 2000 I can not play sport games because I can never see the stupid ball.

I have to actually hold the thing and play with it a bit before I comment on the rest.

And I want profiles on the PSP. Why can we not have these??

Has no one heard of Backups? You can backup your PS3 to an EXT drive, and you can use Sony Media Manager to backup your PSP.

Forget if you cant find a console to play your old games on. What if your carts get broken, stolen, or destroyed in some way? Is Nintendo going to send you a new Zelda cart? Hell no, granted you can find one for a few bucks, but if my copy of Gran Turismo PSP gets corrupted I can easily DL a new copy.

Look I am an advocate for DD content, it's the future it's whats going to happen. I kind of like the PSP Go and I will be all for it if the price is right , and I can somehow get the games I own ripped over.

I'm just curious as to a price and full details. Like most, these will be the determination if I get this or not.

If it's $199 and $249 (8 & 16gb), than maaaaybe.

Like everyone else, I just want to know what we can do with UMDs. Really. If this was a whole new system, like GBA -> DS then whatever. But it's not. It's a PSP meant to play PSP games. Maybe they will supply the tools to rip them to your PC/PS3 and play..:lol: but that's wishful thinking.

I am taking a complete shit on the design of this monstrosity.

Why? Seriously. If I'm going to play something that bulky, I'll keep my DS. And the deal about downloading everything? Yeah, it's convienient. But $30 downloads just don't work for me.

I'm more inclined now to wait for a price drop on the PSP-3000 and buy it then. There's no point in me buying this "upgrade".

I have no idea what the price of games will be for the system but my prospect is that gamesharing will still be a way to get the games. So let's say they range from $20 (games like locoroco and patapon) to $40 (juggernauts like god of war or resistance) before any sales occur - that means if you can assemble a group of 5 you have to pay $4 to $8 for your share of the game. Not bad at all, if you ask me.

Of course, they implemented the onboard 16gigs to reduce piracy but I honestly think it will promote it. Who knows, maybe Sony learned their lesson and made it so everything must be encrypted someway so nothing is pirated on the system (but that takes away from a person's freedom to do what they want - legal or not). I do get the feeling most things have to go through the PSN Downloader from now on... Hopefully it is not nearly as constrained to your account as Amazon's Kindle is.

[quote name='lilboo']I'm just curious as to a price and full details. Like most, these will be the determination if I get this or not.

If it's $199 and $249 (8 & 16gb), than maaaaybe. [/QUOTE]

There was never a mention of an 8gig one. My prediction is the price will be a flat amount (not 199.xx, but something like xx0.00) as Sony needs all it can get (and that's a business move I would implement too as it makes sense to get as much profit as possible, even if marginal).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will cost $220 flat. The psp-3000 goes for a penny under $170 right now, so this would help distinguish the products (like the DSLite and DSi). My argument for why I think it would cost $220: 1) 16 gigs is alot and goes for even more, 16 gig ipod nanos go for $200 and touches for $280 2) It can not rival the Wii at it's price point of $250, even if they are separate entities 3) It has more to offer than the DSi (just the facts, not a flame war).
I can easily say ds has more good games to offer

there's a lot to learn about this new PSP. I'd like to know how the screen is going to perform in daylight - will I be able to see anything or will I always have to run for shade, or any other dark area. Also, I'm totally for this NEW Digital distribution feature for the psp... fine, however, what about my old UMD games... I need to find a way to get those to ripped to the PSP "Mylo" Go. I'll send it the cart... or the game.. (for a digital coupon) I don't care... but it needs to happen.

[quote name='Foo228']I have no idea what the price of games will be for the system but my prospect is that gamesharing will still be a way to get the games. So let's say they range from $20 (games like locoroco and patapon) to $40 (juggernauts like god of war or resistance) before any sales occur - that means if you can assemble a group of 5 you have to pay $4 to $8 for your share of the game. Not bad at all, if you ask me.

Of course, they implemented the onboard 16gigs to reduce piracy but I honestly think it will promote it. Who knows, maybe Sony learned their lesson and made it so everything must be encrypted someway so nothing is pirated on the system (but that takes away from a person's freedom to do what they want - legal or not). I do get the feeling most things have to go through the PSN Downloader from now on... Hopefully it is not nearly as constrained to your account as Amazon's Kindle is.

There was never a mention of an 8gig one. My prediction is the price will be a flat amount (not 199.xx, but something like xx0.00) as Sony needs all it can get (and that's a business move I would implement too as it makes sense to get as much profit as possible, even if marginal).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will cost $220 flat. The psp-3000 goes for a penny under $170 right now, so this would help distinguish the products (like the DSLite and DSi). My argument for why I think it would cost $220: 1) 16 gigs is alot and goes for even more, 16 gig ipod nanos go for $200 and touches for $280 2) It can not rival the Wii at it's price point of $250, even if they are separate entities 3) It has more to offer than the DSi (just the facts, not a flame war).
I can easily say ds has more good games to offer
[/QUOTE]

and 16gb USB drives go for $30..

I bet their 16gb of flash memory costs them less than the UMD drive. i wouldn't be surprised if the PSP Go cost them less to make then the 3000, but no doubt they'll charge more for it. i've no doubt they'll gouge it for >$200, but 16gb of memory is definitely not justification for a high price.

like the PSP-3000, DS, DS Lite, and DSi -- every handheld since the GBA SP -- this machine will be overpriced and not worth the expense. it's sad that consumers are willing to take it up the butt while Nintendo and Sony laugh their way to the bank.

If the PSP Go could access the Playstation store anywhere using cellular signals (see the Kindle) it would make MUCH more sense...but forcing me to be DD only and not giving me a way to get games anywhere REALLY makes me feel restricted considering it is a portable device that only plays downloaded games.

[quote name='Koggit']and 16gb USB drives go for $30..

I bet their 16gb of flash memory costs them less than the UMD drive. i wouldn't be surprised if the PSP Go cost them less to make then the 3000, but no doubt they'll charge more for it. i've no doubt they'll gouge it for >$200, but 16gb of memory is definitely not justification for a high price.

like the PSP-3000, DS, DS Lite, and DSi -- every handheld since the GBA SP -- this machine will be overpriced and not worth the expense. it's sad that consumers are willing to take it up the butt while Nintendo and Sony laugh their way to the bank.[/QUOTE]

I understand that but they aren't selling the memory alone, rather they are selling it already assembled in their product (whether it be an mp3 player or portable game system). With your logic, most laptops should cost less than a $150 as that's what 1TB goes for.

Why's is it sad that consumers are over priced? They have the choice of buying the product or not - it is a free market, you know. Equilibrium price plays a role here too, consumers and businesses already came to a consensus on a fair price informally via the law of supply and demand.

[quote name='lilboo']I'm just curious as to a price and full details. Like most, these will be the determination if I get this or not. [/QUOTE]

Yes, that is what bothers me with these early 'leaks.' The wait for actual confirmation and real details about the final products is, for me, borderline insufferable.

I can't wait to see this blow up in Sony's face. DD may be the future but it is way too soon for a DD only console. Who would buy this when for probably less money you could get a 3000 that can download the same games and still has a UMD drive.

[quote name='Bluth Superfan']I can't wait to see this blow up in Sony's face. DD may be the future but it is way too soon for a DD only console. Who would buy this when for probably less money you could get a 3000 that can download the same games and still has a UMD drive.[/QUOTE]They said in the Quore episode that they would sell the 3000 alongside the go so the consumer does have a choice, it's not strictly DD. The advantage with the go is that you can have more memory than the 3000 not to mention the fact that it's lighter (and smaller?). There will be people that will prefer it to the 3000.

[quote name='Koggit']i wouldn't be surprised if the PSP Go cost them less to make then the 3000, but no doubt they'll charge more for it. i've no doubt they'll gouge it for >$200, but 16gb of memory is definitely not justification for a high price.[/QUOTE]
Look at how poorly the PS3 has sold because of its high price. Okay it hasn't been that bad but you know it could have been way better at a more respectable price point. I don't think Sony would be that dumb to price their handheld over $200. I can see them keeping pricing in line with the DS Lite and DSi but then again this is Sony and they have made many stupid decisions this generation. Hardware is not where the console makers make money (with the exception of Nintendo), it's primarily on the software. If they have to lose money on the hardware then that should be a small sacrifice that they have to take to get as many customers as possible to buy the software and make the real money. Sony dominates with their software.

[quote name='Regian']I am taking a complete shit on the design of this monstrosity.

Why? Seriously. If I'm going to play something that bulky, I'll keep my DS. And the deal about downloading everything? Yeah, it's convienient. But $30 downloads just don't work for me.

I'm more inclined now to wait for a price drop on the PSP-3000 and buy it then. There's no point in me buying this "upgrade". [/QUOTE]

I agree it does look like shit. I'm also going to buy a 3000 and pass on this, but like I said, I can see why people would prefer the go over the "classic" PSPs.

I think Sony's strategy is to create a product as an add-on to the PS3.

Otherwise ...

Regardless of Sony's motives to create this abomination, this better be priced dirt cheap because it's basically a stripped-down PSP with 16 GB of flash and overrated Bluetooth functionality. Eight GB Pro duo cards are cheap, so large internal flash memory is not really necessary. The screen lost half an inch. I already find the PSP screen just small enough to play certain titles. I don't want to squint at the screen to read text or try taking high speed corners in driving games. No dual nubs. The left analog stick is in a terrible position. The design doesn't look sturdy at all, which is more important for a gaming console than other portable devices. I don't see any TV-out on the device, but this could change. Also, no touch screen. If Sony wasn't trying to compete with the iPhone and similar devices, then a touch screen wouldn't be important. No UMD drive makes current game libraries useless. Because Sony has trend of dumb decisions, probably, Bluetooth functionality will not support DS3 controllers or other devices (excluding headsets).

Sony screwed up again. Let's see how the market plays out for them.

[quote name='opportunity777']I think Sony's strategy is to create a product as an add-on to the PS3. [/QUOTE]

Then why didn't they do this with the PSP-3000? Why redesign a PSP with no optical drive when they already had a product on the market with MORE functionality? When the firmware update that allowed the PSP direct access to the Playstation Store came out they should have used that opportunity to test this out.

I hope that after the official E3 announcement , sony will at leeast address some of our concerns. Also, I'd like to have all PSPGo software be playable on the PS3 as well. With the saves being able to be transferred quickly between the two consoles. If this is the case, then it will eliminate the need of a TV out feature. Also, the PSPgo, will need software that doesn't NEED the analog stick, I think that the DS does well without the analog stick, and the new MS Zune (game player) doesn't have one. So.. the PSP doesn't need one, and the system will be most enjoyable as long as it has software that utilizes the D-pad moreso than the analog stick. But we'll see...

I'll probably never get one, but I'm excited about more games being distributed as UMD's and downloadable, especially if the downloadable equivalents are cheaper and/or allow the 5 system gameshare feature. I would love to be able to buy a new release game that would normally be $40 and pay $10 for it because I am able to split the cost with some friends. I'll just have to get a bigger memory stick for my original PSP.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']
Look I am an advocate for DD content, it's the future it's whats going to happen. I kind of like the PSP Go and I will be all for it if the price is right , and I can somehow get the games I own ripped over.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why people keep saying "It's the future, accept it" and just expect everyone to roll over.

It's *not* the future- yet - and it shouldn't be.

I don't know why people keep jumping to all these conclusions. Just as people say "it's the future, accept it" others need to learn to keep an open mind about change, especially since we don't know everything about the device and any support put behind it.

I like the device, even though I think they should have made even more changes.

People bandy about the words abomination, disaster, monstrousity, blah blah blah.

It's *not* any of those things- yet - and it won't be.

So, unscrunch your panties guys and wait until after E3, because those of you who already have PSPs? Guess what, you still have them, and UMDs will probably be cheaper, so more games for you.

My guess is that there will be two winning handhelds -- the DS and iPhone.

And we're still waiting for GT...which one, the PSP version of the PS3 version...travesty that they have taken so long to get to market...I'm no longer interested.

bread's done
Back