PSP Go thread-

[quote name='Richard Kain']Oh come on now. That's a bit of an exaggeration. They are completely overhauling the way games for the platform are distributed and stored. That is nothing like the GameBoy Micro.
Agreed.

Actually, improved profit margins are always inevitable, due to the nature of the production cycle. The longer a device is in production, the lower the production cost. (as its components become less expensive to produce and assemble) Since Sony isn't completely re-inventing the wheel on the PSP Go, they will be retaining a lot of the production savings that are already in effect. Just look at the 16 gigs of flash memory they are putting in the thing. When the PSP was originally released, it would have cost them between $200 - $300 USD to squeeze that much flash memory in the PSP. For the PSP Go they probably won't have to drop more than $15 - $20 per unit.
Agreed.

Actually, Nintendo is contracting with a third-party company to install a similar DRM scheme into future DS catridges. The R4 has been a huge problem for Nintendo. They are planning on encoding individual keys on DS catridges, so that each game will have to be hacked individually in order to extract ROM files from them. It won't solve the problem entirely, but it will make pirates attempts a hell of a lot harder and more arduous. And managing DRM for an on-line system is infinitely easier and more flexible. (since you always retain control over the on-line system)
I also see this helping a lot with piracy and being able to update their DRM more easily and effectively. You have to wonder if some people are mad because they don't see themselves being able to pirate as easily with the new design.

This is really the big question. This new strategy for the PSP hinges entirely on the system's on-line presence and offerings. If they can succeed at that, iTunes-style, than everything will be roses. If they can't, they may have to end up burying the PSP entirely. But on-line integration is proving to be a very popular way to distribute and manage media. Sony's best bet would be to integrate some Web 2.0 community features into its on-line PSP initiative. Give people more reasons to stick around.
We won't know unless they try, and right now is the best time for them to do this. With a shit economy you don't release a brand new PSP2, when you can still wait. Piracy killed umd. This is needed. Better for them to do it now than wait until it's too late.

The main issue is that there aren't really any complaints about the system. The people who are buying the hardware are hacking it, and then doing whatever they please. They aren't complaining. Most of the complaints from more casual gamers relate to the system's awkward size, it's battery life, and its weight. The PSP Go addresses all of those.
People complain about everything and will continue to complain. People complained about umd both for movies and games. They complained about battery life. They complained about the 3000 screen. Etc.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='opportunity777']

On a related issue, nobody here has mentioned the influx of bandwidth restrictions by internet providers.[/QUOTE]
Some of those restrictions were removed after trying to test them in select markets and customers getting upset. But, you might as well compain about any digital products then on PC like Steam, XBLA, PSN on PS3, Hulu, etc.

[quote name='pete5883']I think the idea is that you could watch videos on it with the controls closed. Not like anyone uses it for that.[/QUOTE]
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but that's a main reason why I like this design. For when I watch tv, movies, trailers, music, etc, which I do a lot of on my PSP. If they did flip close, then people would bitch about them copying Nintendo.

[quote name='xycury']YUCK to subscriptions.

Does this have a chance to support the older PSP systems?[/QUOTE]
Personally, I agree. But it doesn't effect us. It's just another way to get your games, it will be great for the Gamefly type of gamer. I think this will probably work with all PSPs.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Oh... [/QUOTE]

Paragraph by paragraph because large quotes just clutter up the thread more. I may have missed one by accident or whatever.

I'm writing about the design decisions. You just ran off on your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='h3llbring3r']In fairness I can see where you are coming from, all things being considering; I think much of the negative aesthetic appeal results directly from the ill conceived choice of the slider design, which forces the recessed buttons and nubs (but not the stylistic choice to add the trim "rings"). The goofy mylo silhouette could have certainly been avoided though.

IMHO, it's one of those situations where a single design decision forces a series of choices that snowball out of control. In the designed by committee situations that all consoles go through it's easy to see how you can get something that's appeal rivals the Pontiac Aztec in terms of the cringe-factor.[/QUOTE]

I like the way it looks when closed but the controls don't seem functional. I know people already complain about the feel of the slim (from the 1000). This thing is going to feel like a paperweight.

The DRM paragraph is from fairy tale land.
[...]
Sony has proven its in a trough. They are in N64 and GameCube territory. Another major slip (PS4 or whatever) will put them in Sega land. Or, the next generation could bring them great success and all of this will be a distant memory. :)
[/QUOTE]

I believe that they feel they (Sony) are in Sega territory (with the PSP). If the Go! is over-produced, this may stick them there and kill the psp.

Looks great, dunno what all the negativity is about. Digital downloads is definitely a good move for the portable market. UMD wasn't terrible, but it was a battery sucker compared to flash and now that flash is more economical, it's the clear choice. Very clever design hiding the buttons beneath instead of permanent side bars, should make it more pocket friendly along with the slightly smaller screen. Curved edges look more comfortable to grip than the boxy DS-like ones that look better but are a complete pain to hold.

And lastly, give the "no second analog stick" rubbish a rest, please. No way, no how, should they have introduced a new control scheme that would effectively make PSP Go games incompatible with old PSP models.

Well they need something that would make people want to buy this instead of the old psp's. the DSI has a download store that has exclusive games that the old DS can't play. PSP GO has no exclusive content and actually is a less capable gaming machine than the older PSP models since it doesn't have a UMD slot.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Well they need something that would make people want to buy this instead of the old psp's. the DSI has a download store that has exclusive games that the old DS can't play. PSP GO has no exclusive content and actually is a less capable gaming machine than the older PSP models since it doesn't have a UMD slot.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, this is the most pocket-friendly model of the PSP yet. And they don't need exclusive content, they simply need to cease producing old models. UMD is a mechanical battery hog, people went out of their way to rip their games just to avoid the damn thing. If flash memory had been this cheap when the PSP first launched, they'd have never bothered with it. It's also possible that the "line issue" on PSP-3000s is resolved on this model, and we still don't know what other internal changes or die shrinks might have been made to improve battery life further. I wouldn't hesitate buying one if given the choice.

Responding to what you have said to Richard Kain.

For your Itunes paragraph, why do we need another device that tries to mimic a much better product on the market? Sony has not answered this question at all.

What's wrong with having another device that gets its content through the Internet? Everything is moving towards that direction. Just because Apple does it best doesn't mean others shouldn't go in that inevitable direction.

The public has its MP3 players, Blackberries and Iphones. Why do we need another device in this market segment? At this time, I don't believe we need another inferior gadget to perform those functions.

Some people don't want to carry around more than 1 device all the time or at all. Just because one device does some things better than another (while the other also does some things better) doesn't mean we should only have each device only do things you cannot find on the other device. I enjoy watching videos on PSP and find it easier to get them on it than I do on Ipod anyways. I also like to game on PSP and then switch it up on the fly and listen to music or watch a video. Definitely a plus and shouldn't be removed because some device may do some of those better.

Right now, we have no way of knowing about the battery life. When the Slim was being promoted, Sony claimed increase battery life. The included battery (I feel like I have to write each item specifically when addressing you) with the Slim did not extend the unit's power time. When devices become smaller, the battery becomes tinier too. Thus, the device's battery yield may actually be the same as the previous unit (or worse, better, whatever).

We don't know battery life, but it should definitely be improved given the screen and no umd needed.

If a buyer has a PSP, Wii, PS3, watch TV shows online, use Steam and other services, then the numbers quickly add up. The file sizes don't have to be 1.5 GB. As the UMD continues to be fazed out (we know it will be completely replaced by SOMETHING one day), with digital distribution, we could have ten GB PSP games. Regardless, my bandwidth limit is already pushed to the brink.

This is a dilemma for all online usage and most are not in your boat unfortunately.

I do complain because of my bandwidth limitations. If companies expect all of their items to go digital, then they should work with cable providers to remove some of our restrictions.

They should, so those affected by limitations should speak up to each company that offers things digitally, not throw the blame only on PSP Go.

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='doodofdoods']Well they need something that would make people want to buy this instead of the old psp's. the DSI has a download store that has exclusive games that the old DS can't play. PSP GO has no exclusive content and actually is a less capable gaming machine than the older PSP models since it doesn't have a UMD slot.[/QUOTE]
It's not meant to have exclusive content. That is why I'm happy as a former PSP owner. They haven't segmented the userbase and effectively forced you to upgrade. At least, not yet. It's not meant to be "Sony's DSi". I have a 2000 and I'm considering selling it for the Go. I might not though, I don't lose out on exclusive content, so I don't have to.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Are you really surprised it's $249?[/QUOTE]

I thought it might be a bit cheaper. I paid $250 for the PSP when it came out. I'm not making that mistake again.

[quote name='opportunity777']:lol:

That price is terrible.[/QUOTE]
but, but, but . . . look all those new features for the go . . . oh, yea . . .nm.

I'm actually just glad it's not $299, even if not by much.

Best news for this was the 80% price drop on dev kits which will open the market to devs alot more.

yeah PSPgo looks like an epic fail. Money is better spent on a Wii or Xbox (heck maybe even a backup Xbox in case you RRoD).

The PSPgo gives you less options on how to play your games compared to current models and costs almost $100 more. Lame.

too bad the screen is smaller, the large psp logo is stealing precious real estate
i wonder what change going digital distribution will have on psp piracy

[quote name='FroMann']It is still 50 dollars cheaper than a 16 GB iPod Touch.[/QUOTE]

And does less.
Probably not for long, Fry's & BBy have been doing $229 16gb touches lately-

I'm betting it does an official accross the board drop before the PSP go is even on the shelves.

h3llbring3r, engadget posted some hands on pics you should add to the OP. I think it looks a lot better in person.

psp_go37.jpg

[quote name='vherub']too bad the screen is smaller, the large psp logo is stealing precious real estate
i wonder what change going digital distribution will have on psp piracy[/QUOTE]

I'm betting zero since Sony is doing the right thing and doing retail and same day DD from here on out. There will still be plenty of UMDs out there for pirates to rip.

[quote name='silent h3ro']h3llbring3r, engadget posted some hands on pics you should add to the OP. I think it looks a lot better in person.

psp_go37.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Interesting, it looks aesthetically a little better (not much)- but even more worrisome in the comfortable to play department (that nub-reach really looks painful, without any DS1-3-like hand support for long term play). I don't want to constantly have to rest it on a wrenched finger for support like is shown in the picture.

Damn those shoulder buttons look tough to hit. I'd also be concerned about it slipping out of my hands since it looks so top-heavy. Does Sony do any focus testing on their products?

Stiffing the awesome people who own Macs, eh?

Not that I was going to drop $250 for a console that's less useful than the one from 2-thousand-fucking-5 anyway.

They really didn't address anything I'd want in a PSP upgrade - high price, still the same horrible analog nub and still only 1 at that, and zero backwards compatibility. Relatively speaking, comfort looks to be a wash. Oh, the biggest thing, they're trying to kill the second hand game market since you're unlikely to be able to sell those games. I'm never ever buying a system where I can't get used games for a good deal so count me out.

I rather put $250 more into friggin' arcade sticks. The price point is a complete joke on Sony's part.
But I'm sure Relentless Rolento and Frisky will be uploading us their pics once they get their hands on it. and we'll look forward to that on CAG. Just let us know when it hits $150 like it should be.

I was starting to warm up to the PSP go aesthetically. At $250, there is no chance in hell of me getting one. My hope is that the Go will cause the other models to drop a few more bucks at retail.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']:lol: I'm not buying it for $250. I paid $200 for my PSP and I'd be willing to pay that for the Go. I'm fine with my old 1000 for now.[/QUOTE]

Oh damn, thought I had you.

Hehehe my 2000 (from dell - $131) just arrived today. I already dropped it :\....On the carpet buts its okay. One good thing about the size the the Go! probably is that IF you do drop it it'll survive. Plus no moving parts. The only way they could have possible phased out the older models (even though they planned on selling the 3000 and Go! side by side) is if they lowered the damn price. $250 is up there. Not even including tax FFS.

I haven't read through all the pages so I'm not sure if this questions been asked. But what exactly are the main differences b/n psp and psp go? Will the new games coming out for the go still be playable on the regular psp? Is the psp go better performance wise or is just the same thing different shell, w/ internal memory, bluetooth etc...

Everything the Go can play, the PSP can play, as well. You just have smaller load times, better battery life, and a more efficient system.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Everything the Go can play, the PSP can play, as well. You just have smaller load times, better battery life, and a more efficient system.[/QUOTE]

A nice and rosy depiction. :lol:

I really like almost everything about PSP Go, except the price. I wish it was $200-$229. Hopefully the margins on it allow for PS3 pricedrop soon after though in October or November. They should throw in Gran Turismo with PSP Go or at least some preloaded stuff on the flash memory to help sweet'n the deal.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
Best news for this was the 80% price drop on dev kits which will open the market to devs alot more.[/QUOTE]
Huge point I almost forgot about. I think PSP resurgence in software may not be short lived.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Interesting, it looks aesthetically a little better (not much)- but even more worrisome in the comfortable to play department (that nub-reach really looks painful, without any DS1-3-like hand support for long term play). I don't want to constantly have to rest it on a wrenched finger for support like is shown in the picture.[/QUOTE]
I think I actually do that with my DS lite. Not trying to troll, just saying.

bread's done
Back