PSP Go thread-

Just a random thought: I hope they ditch the xmb.

I don't mind it, but it's been on the psp's entire lifecycle as well as the ps3's and change (ala microsoft's revamp over blades) would probably be a good thing.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']I don't know why people keep saying "It's the future, accept it" and just expect everyone to roll over.

It's *not* the future- yet - and it shouldn't be.[/QUOTE]

Because it is, every major Media outlet wants to move to this. Music has done so and Downloads outsell CDs at this point. Movies are next, and the effects are being seen on Blu Ray and DVD sales overall. I'm not saying roll over, but the fact is there will be a point that Disc based media is gone. Like I said before I want this shift to happen I hate having disc there is no extra value in it for me to own a disc.

While i agree that things are moving towards digital downloads, i completely disagree about your value assessment. I rip my PSP games from UMD to my computer. I put my game on the shelf and forget about it. However, should that file ever become corrupt, i still have the original sitting on my shelf. If i eventually decide i no longer want the game, i can trade/sell the game, which then gives me money to buy another game. Until someone comes up with a secure way of transferring keys/ownership, i want physical media.

Why I am hyped for the PSP-Go

#1. Returned my PSP 3000 got all my money back Phew just in Time. Feel sorry for anyone who recently bought a PSP 3000

#2. Bluetooth now I can use my DualShock 3 with my PSP-Go

#3. Finally an awesome screen the one on the PSP 3000 blows 16ms response time yuk.

#4. Small form factor Yes!!

#5. 16Gigs Flash storage space

#6. 802.11g finally fast WiFi

#7. you fill this in

Here's how I'm hoping Digital Downloads eventually works...

Awhile back, I read a news story about a book store that essentially took a printer + binder, and hooked it up to the internet. For about 10 bucks, the user could use it to print out any book in the book store's system, and have it bound. I can't see why they couldn't do something similar here.

Get kiosks in stores, with internet access, that allows people to access their game profiles and transfer their game(s) onto a flash card or whatever, as well as allowing them to print out a case/instruction manual. The one catch being, just as the downloads are tied to your game account, the flash back-up would be tied to your game account (to curtail people selling these backups to friends and whatnot).

Way I see it, this limits the problems with digital download to just "lack of resale", which I can see game companies are quite happy with. It'll allow them to sell a lot more of any given game, and it's possible (although fairly unlikely) they'll be able to use increased sales to lower prices of each game.

mp3's on Amazon's music store are DRM free

Music on iTunes is DRM free

that works because it music which needs to be played on just about ANY device.

Games WILL NOT be DRM free, because you can only play that game on a PSP-Go Its essentially Locked down.

All your PS3 games are locked down, all of your xbox 360 games are locked own.

If you want Music then buy it DRM free from Apple or Amazon and put it on your PSP-Go or PSP.

Don't expect anything DRM free From Sony.

[quote name='SynGamer']While i agree that things are moving towards digital downloads, i completely disagree about your value assessment. I rip my PSP games from UMD to my computer. I put my game on the shelf and forget about it. However, should that file ever become corrupt, i still have the original sitting on my shelf. If i eventually decide i no longer want the game, i can trade/sell the game, which then gives me money to buy another game. Until someone comes up with a secure way of transferring keys/ownership, i want physical media.[/QUOTE]

And I see that point; However I haven't bought a CD in years, but my iTunes, and Amazon account have seen plenty of activity. I do this with SD DVDs (and I will with Blu Rays when it becomes easier) rip everyone of them to a HDD and watch them using my Apple TV. The only reason I stop myself from buying movies from the iTunes store is I don't think the video quality is on par for what I want. I get why people have reservations about going all DD, but again I believe its the future and I want to help foster the technology to get here faster. I know not everyone thinks the same, but to just flat refuse and argue that somehow your consumer rights are being taken away seems to be a bit Chicken Little to me.

How about we wait till e3 and see what kind of support sony is going to have for the go BEFORE we start bitching about what a 1/2 assed job sony is doing.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So yeah what happended to the mana knight?[/QUOTE]

Left here...someone said why in the "What ever happenend to.." thread in off topic forum

I'm more inclined to get excited for the PSP2 so until then best of luck to Sony giving Nintendo and Apple competition in the handheld market to make a PSP2 venture feasible with this relaunch of the PSP.

[quote name='kurokubushi']How about we wait till e3 and see what kind of support sony is going to have for the go BEFORE we start bitching about what a 1/2 assed job sony is doing.[/QUOTE]

Since it is just a reconfigured PSP without an optical drive and BT added...i would say the support will be the same if not less that the current version of the PSP. i would think less support since it seems the general gamer population is hesistant to the whole dd thing and a halfway decent developer should know this. You can argue for STEAM all you want but at the end of the day pretty much every game on STEAM can be had physically and your computer still has at least one optical drive.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']And I see that point; However I haven't bought a CD in years, but my iTunes, and Amazon account have seen plenty of activity. I do this with SD DVDs (and I will with Blu Rays when it becomes easier) rip everyone of them to a HDD and watch them using my Apple TV. The only reason I stop myself from buying movies from the iTunes store is I don't think the video quality is on par for what I want. I get why people have reservations about going all DD, but again I believe its the future and I want to help foster the technology to get here faster. I know not everyone thinks the same, but to just flat refuse and argue that somehow your consumer rights are being taken away seems to be a bit Chicken Little to me.[/QUOTE]
See, I haven't bought a DVD in ages. I buy Blu-ray. Downloading HD movies isn't viable at this point on a mainstream scale, and streaming won't work either without heavy compression which makes the movie look like shit. Plus, i prefer to have Blu-ray for the uncompressed video (a full 20Mb is amazing to watch in 1080p) and the extras :)

[quote name='Malik112099']Since it is just a reconfigured PSP without an optical drive and BT added...i would say the support will be the same if not less that the current version of the PSP. i would think less support since it seems the general gamer population is hesistant to the whole dd thing and a halfway decent developer should know this. You can argue for STEAM all you want but at the end of the day pretty much every game on STEAM can be had physically and your computer still has at least one optical drive.[/QUOTE]
Do you people no pay attention to the news at all? Sony, as well as many developers/publishers, have stated multiple times this year and late last year that they will be offering more games via PSN. It really comes down to pricing, and i have an unfortunate feeling Sony is going to offer the games at the same price as their retail counterparts, which will fail. I understand why they do that, but it's unfortunate.

[quote name='SynGamer']Do you people no pay attention to the news at all? Sony, as well as many developers/publishers, have stated multiple times this year and late last year that they will be offering more games via PSN. It really comes down to pricing, and i have an unfortunate feeling Sony is going to offer the games at the same price as their retail counterparts, which will fail. I understand why they do that, but it's unfortunate.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem...we don't need more games via PSN for the PSP. We need more fucking games. Good games. System selling games. If the same shitty games go to PSN for $5-$10 less they still wont sell.

[quote name='SynGamer']See, I haven't bought a DVD in ages. I buy Blu-ray. Downloading HD movies isn't viable at this point on a mainstream scale, and streaming won't work either without heavy compression which makes the movie look like shit. Plus, i prefer to have Blu-ray for the uncompressed video (a full 20Mb is amazing to watch in 1080p) and the extras :)[/QUOTE]

Same here I have watched a few HD movies on my Apple TV and it looks nice, but not near the quality of my Blu Ray collection.

[quote name='SynGamer']It really comes down to pricing, and i have an unfortunate feeling Sony is going to offer the games at the same price as their retail counterparts, which will fail. I understand why they do that, but it's unfortunate.[/QUOTE]

This is my main concern. If DD and physical copies cost the same, I won't have anything to do with the system. Sony already has pretty stupid pricing for their PSP games on PSN, so I'm not too hopeful on their new pricing. Still, the concept is nice.

Its like Sony ignored every piece of cosumer input to create this system. The mylo was a utter failure, so why would you make one of the best products you have reminiscent with one that was a failure. They should have let that Sony Vaio team design the system, instead of just rehasing and forcing the Mylo design w/ the PSP. Ohhhh, Sony.. God love em -

The whole cell phone tethering thing sounds interesting to me - thats about it though. Not going to justify dropping 200+ bucks on it. If anything it will make me look for cheap PSP 1000s and 2000s on Craigslist / eBay and what not. Should be interesting how this plays out reguardless.

So where can we watch the E3 2009 Sony and Microsoft Keynotes???

Microsoft's is Monday I think then Nintendo Then Sony each on a Different day.

[quote name='Mr. Twist']So where can we watch the E3 2009 Sony and Microsoft Keynotes???

Microsoft's is Monday I think then Nintendo Then Sony each on a Different day.[/QUOTE]

IGN has a video stream, but I would like to find an audio stream to my iPhone.:wall:

[quote name='Thomas96']They should have let that Sony Vaio team design the system, instead of just rehasing and forcing the Mylo design w/ the PSP. Ohhhh, Sony.. God love em -[/QUOTE]
This!

I have never agreed with T'96 so much.

If there is some way to transfer UMD games (officially) I'm sold. My PSP1000 had awful battery life when I first got it and now the battery is starting to wear out (if I leave it on my desk for a week the charge goes poof). If it doesn't I'm just going to find a decent long lasting 3rd party battery.

I've already got a decent collection of UMD games and the only way I'm going to jump to download only is if we can download for no cost our current UMD games (or if they release a cheap UMD reader) otherwise I'll wait for PSP2.

So this should have near double the battery life of current PSP's right? And it should have no loading times anymore? I don't understand why everyone thinks its the ugliest thing they've ever seen. I really like how it looks, it's very similar to Iphone (but with the benefit of real controls). What did people expect out of its looks? Expectations way too high.

[quote name='J7.'] I really like how it looks . . . . What did people expect out of its looks? [/QUOTE]

:lol:

cartman.jpg

I'm not gonna let some stupid photoshop have any effect on me. What did you expect it to look like? It looks exactly how it was rumored to look. The screen only part is nice and sleek. The only thing I dislike somewhat is the rings around the dpad and buttons, and some of the idle space above the analog and start/select. Overall this is exactly what I had expected it to look like.

[quote name='J7.']I'm not gonna let some stupid photoshop have any effect on me. What did you expect it to look like? It looks exactly how it was rumored to look. The screen only part is nice and sleek. The only thing I dislike somewhat is the rings around the dpad and buttons, and some of the idle space above the analog and start/select. Overall this is exactly what I had expected it to look like.[/QUOTE]

In fairness I can see where you are coming from, all things being considering; I think much of the negative aesthetic appeal results directly from the ill conceived choice of the slider design, which forces the recessed buttons and nubs (but not the stylistic choice to add the trim "rings"). The goofy mylo silhouette could have certainly been avoided though.

IMHO, it's one of those situations where a single design decision forces a series of choices that snowball out of control. In the designed by committee situations that all consoles go through it's easy to see how you can get something that's appeal rivals the Pontiac Aztec in terms of the cringe-factor.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']In fairness I can see where you are coming from, all things being considering; I think much of the negative aesthetic appeal results directly from the ill conceived choice of the slider design, which forces the recessed buttons and nubs (but not the stylistic choice to add the trim "rings"). The goofy mylo silhouette could have certainly been avoided though.

IMHO, it's one of those situations where a single design decision forces a series of choices that snowball out of control. In the designed by committee situations that all consoles go through it's easy to see how you can get something that's appeal rivals the Pontiac Aztec in terms of the cringe-factor.[/QUOTE]
If slider design means slightly recessed controls I'm all for it because I don't see how else you can design it to allow to only see and hold the screen by itself with the controls slid away, which is something I like for its compactness when viewing media or music. Although I wish it did have a touch screen because the design really would fit that well. And I'm not buying it to try and impress anybody or care what they think of the aesthetic look of my game machine. What do you mean by mylo silhouette? Thank you for actually explaining what about it really irks you. It's hard to tell when people just keep ragging on it without giving specific reasons.

[quote name='J7.'] What do you mean by mylo silhouette? Thank you for actually explaining what about it really irks you. It's hard to tell when people just keep ragging on it without giving specific reasons.[/QUOTE]

For the mylo reference:
mylo-2_website_ubergizmo_468.jpg
sony_mylo_2_1.jpg

See mylo (1 & 2)

The ergonomics also worry me (specifcally: How is the device going to be supported with-out any/limited palm-swell support- considering it's high mounted screen when open- cantilevering it in your hands with no support seems sketchy at best. & The low strained reach across the device for the analog nub looks uncomfortable.) but I am waiting for a hands on (if that happens).

By silhouette then you mean the overall shape of it's edges I take it. I don't mind since it's more ergonomic than more rigid edges. I don't think you'll have to worry about support too much since it supposedly weighs much less. Maybe the triggers are harder too. Who knows until you hold it and use it. I think the analog is better than the current PSP, it's more like a Dualshock now. I like that better. We'll see.

Slider design is just dumb because no matter what you do, you have to have it open to use the controls...unless it is touch screen. They should have just done a clam shell design because at least that way the screen is protected when not in use.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: at hellbringer.

I look at this PSP Go and think to myself that this redesign is akin to dining at a restaurant and not finding your entree to your satisfaction. Yet, when you bring this to the attention of your server, they take it back to the kitchen, who rearranges everything on the plate and sends it back to your table, expecting you to enjoy it. And, perhaps, in the process, you lost a piece of garnish, but nothing else.

NO ONE has officially said for sure or not if it has a Touch screen.

This is why I feel this "leak" is not a leak at all, because alot was left out of that QORE video on purpose.

The aesthetic approach to the system's exterior is a very small factor in this equation. This is much more of a system re-launch than anything that Nintendo has done with the DSi. The real benefits to this handhelds design aren't necessarily for gamers. They are for more casual consumers and developers.

The anti-piracy measures that a download-only handheld will be able to employ are going to thrill developers. This is actually a rather bold move on Sony's part. Nintendo is dappling in this idea with the DSi, but Sony is going balls-out by making a system that will not have a proprietary disc or cartridge. With this, one of the biggest issues developers have had with the PSP dissapears. Naturally, this is going to upset the current PSP faithful. I fully expect the UMD format to be dead and burried inside of a year and a half. But the new consumers this approach could draw in will likely be worth it.

[quote name='Richard Kain']The anti-piracy measures that a download-only handheld will be able to employ are going to thrill developers. This is actually a rather bold move on Sony's part. Nintendo is dappling in this idea with the DSi, but Sony is going balls-out by making a system that will not have a proprietary disc or cartridge. With this, one of the biggest issues developers have had with the PSP dissapears. Naturally, this is going to upset the current PSP faithful. I fully expect the UMD format to be dead and burried inside of a year and a half. But the new consumers this approach could draw in will likely be worth it.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, in a long time, I haven't seen this type of negativity towards a console. I don't like the 'Cartman' Go, but I already spewed my reasons on here.

You have bold speculations. The risk is actually not much. A real 'balls-out' approach would be to abandon all the current models. Sony is not discontinuing the 3000 because they don't have confidence in this product and the backlash would be terrible.

Inevitably, the DRM will be broken and the developers won't be 'happy' again. The 'piracy' issue will come back up, and Sony will be in the same situation. Nintendo has the easiest hackable consoles, but they continue to be the frontrunners in the console arms race. Hmmm .....

Unless the unit is significantly cheaper than the current models, I don't think the system will perform well. In addition, the prices of the games will have to significantly fall. No more $30 and $40 videogames. My gut feeling is neither of those two will happen, and Sony will still be a distant second place against Nintendo with nothing to show for this latest effort.

Maybe, with enough marketing 'hype' (so far it's been mostly bad), Sony could pounce on consumers and snag the early adopters for big initial sales numbers. in a terrible economy, their task is a bit more difficult. No matter what happens, their best case scenario is second place to Nintendo and average profits.

[quote name='opportunity777']Inevitably, the DRM will be broken and the developers won't be 'happy' again. The 'piracy' issue will come back up, and Sony will be in the same situation.[/QUOTE]

Mm-hmm.

As for second place to Nintendo, 30-some-odd% marketshare in the handheld market is vastly superior to anything other non-Nintendo companies have accomplished since the Game Boy debuted. Second place? Sure. But they're still in business, at any rate.

[quote name='mykevermin']Mm-hmm.

As for second place to Nintendo, 30-some-odd% marketshare in the handheld market is vastly superior to anything other non-Nintendo companies have accomplished since the Game Boy debuted. Second place? Sure. But they're still in business, at any rate.[/QUOTE]

I believe the PSP is successful, but a lot of people view it as a failure. Even Sony seems to believe the product has failed to meet expectations.

In the handheld market, Nintendo's competition has been weak. The GameGear, Nomad, Lynx, TG16 handheld (don't remember the name), GP32, Wonderswan, Neo Geo Pocket, N-Gage and various others have all been average or worse. Sony has fared much better than all previous challengers.

I just don't see the Go giving Sony any edge over Nintendo and helping increase their market share by a substantial margin.

[quote name='opportunity777']A real 'balls-out' approach would be to abandon all the current models. Sony is not discontinuing the 3000 because they don't have confidence in this product and the backlash would be terrible.[/QUOTE]

If you actually believe Sony's promise of continuing the regular PSP models, I would direct you to Nintendo's promise to continue the GameBoy brand. If the Go is able to garner the necessary degree of sales and profitability, Sony WILL abandon the regular-model PSP. UMD as a format for movie sales is dead in the water. And developers have been jumping ship because of how easy it is to pirate their games for the PSP. Sony has no reason to continue support for UMDs, or PSPs that support the format.

Now as I mentioned, this depends on the level of success that the PSP Go will be able to achieve. But from the very beginning the PSP Go is going to be more profitable than its predecessor. The cost of production will almost certainly be lower, so the profit margin is going to be better. (UMD drives are very intricate, replacing this with a fat chunk of memory is going to slash production costs) Without the cost of printing or distributing discs, the profit margin on every piece of software sold is going to be much higher. Even if the PSP Go just manages to keep pace with current PSP hardware sales, it will be considered a success by Sony.

[quote name='opportunity777']Inevitably, the DRM will be broken and the developers won't be 'happy' again. The 'piracy' issue will come back up, and Sony will be in the same situation. Nintendo has the easiest hackable consoles, but they continue to be the frontrunners in the console arms race. Hmmm .....[/QUOTE]

Moving distribution to an on-line only system gives Sony infinitely more control over DRM. Even if the DRM for the hardware is broken, it won't matter. Sony can implement whatever security they want, in the downloaded games that they distribute. They can have a "master" version of a game, and then re-compile that master version with a DRM key that is specific to your PSP Go's serial number. That is to say, your downloaded copy of a specific game will only work with your specific PSP Go, and no one elses. And that's just one scenario. With control of distribution in their hands, they can go absolutely nuts with DRM. They can try anything, and change their anti-piracy strategies as often as they like. (since they never have to worry about recalling UMDs that have been shipped to stores) This strategy actually gives them a chance to keep pace with piracy.

[quote name='Richard Kain']If ...[/QUOTE]

I think the Go has more in common with the GBA Micro than other GameBoy models. Smaller size, tiny screen, different design and less features.

I don't disagree with your assessment: IF the Go is successful, THEN it will replace the current model. I don't have a lot of confidence in Sony pulling this off. I already wrote my piece about piracy, and it is not necessary to repeat my post.

Even with the change in product delivery, profit margins may not actually be better. Although, digital distribution should help cut costs. I will agree with parts of your statement, but the conclusion of higher profit margins is not inevitable.

The DRM paragraph is from fairy tale land.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']Sony still hasn't learned that the way out of a hole isn't to keep digging.

More SKUs = customer confusion = "fuck this, I'll just get a Wii."[/QUOTE]

Sony has proven its in a trough. They are in N64 and GameCube territory. Another major slip (PS4 or whatever) will put them in Sega land. Or, the next generation could bring them great success and all of this will be a distant memory. :)

I do know the Go is not the answer. Sony is hoping to use this model as a stepping stone for PSP2. I'm not against the move, but I'm not confident they can effectively execute the strategy. Aside from their marketing ability ineptitude, I don't like the product features. In the last few years, they have shown a lot of incompetence and arrogance (even more than MS). IMO, Sony is not responding well to most consumer complaints regarding the system.

On a related issue, nobody here has mentioned the influx of bandwidth restrictions by internet providers.

Last edited by a moderator:
the thing with the PSP, at least in my case is that I buy mostly imports, last year for example i bought like 10 imports and 1 us game (crisis Core). Buying digital only from Japan involves having a japanese account along with japanese PSN money. I would still be forced to use the UMD.

[quote name='anubis20']the thing with the PSP, at least in my case is that I buy mostly imports, last year for example i bought like 10 imports and 1 us game (crisis Core). Buying digital only from Japan involves having a japanese account along with japanese PSN money. I would still be forced to use the UMD.[/QUOTE]

What did you get?

[quote name='Richard Kain']Moving distribution to an on-line only system gives Sony infinitely more control over DRM. [/QUOTE]

yeah....can you say app store? people will find a way around it

[quote name='opportunity777']I think the Go has more in common with the GBA Micro than other GameBoy models. Smaller size, tiny screen, different design and less features.[/QUOTE]

Oh come on now. That's a bit of an exaggeration. They are completely overhauling the way games for the platform are distributed and stored. That is nothing like the GameBoy Micro.

[quote name='opportunity777']I will agree with parts of your statement, but the conclusion of higher profit margins is not inevitable.[/QUOTE]

Actually, improved profit margins are always inevitable, due to the nature of the production cycle. The longer a device is in production, the lower the production cost. (as its components become less expensive to produce and assemble) Since Sony isn't completely re-inventing the wheel on the PSP Go, they will be retaining a lot of the production savings that are already in effect. Just look at the 16 gigs of flash memory they are putting in the thing. When the PSP was originally released, it would have cost them between $200 - $300 USD to squeeze that much flash memory in the PSP. For the PSP Go they probably won't have to drop more than $15 - $20 per unit.

[quote name='opportunity777']The DRM paragraph is from fairy tale land.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Nintendo is contracting with a third-party company to install a similar DRM scheme into future DS catridges. The R4 has been a huge problem for Nintendo. They are planning on encoding individual keys on DS catridges, so that each game will have to be hacked individually in order to extract ROM files from them. It won't solve the problem entirely, but it will make pirates attempts a hell of a lot harder and more arduous. And managing DRM for an on-line system is infinitely easier and more flexible. (since you always retain control over the on-line system)

[quote name='opportunity777']I'm not against the move, but I'm not confident they can effectively execute the strategy.[/QUOTE]

This is really the big question. This new strategy for the PSP hinges entirely on the system's on-line presence and offerings. If they can succeed at that, iTunes-style, than everything will be roses. If they can't, they may have to end up burying the PSP entirely. But on-line integration is proving to be a very popular way to distribute and manage media. Sony's best bet would be to integrate some Web 2.0 community features into its on-line PSP initiative. Give people more reasons to stick around.

[quote name='opportunity777']IMO, Sony is not responding well to most consumer complaints regarding the system.[/QUOTE]

The main issue is that there aren't really any complaints about the system. The people who are buying the hardware are hacking it, and then doing whatever they please. They aren't complaining. Most of the complaints from more casual gamers relate to the system's awkward size, it's battery life, and its weight. The PSP Go addresses all of those.

[quote name='opportunity777']On a related issue, nobody here has mentioned the influx of bandwidth restrictions by internet providers.[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, most PSP games don't break 150 MB. That's still a decently hefty download. But it isn't nearly the issue for filesize that full games for the PC, 360, or PS3 are facing. There are a few PSP games for which this will be an issue, but no current PSP game breaks 1.5 Gigs. Besides, an on-line distribution system opens up the PSP to a lot of smaller games that can be sold for a lower price.

Interesting (via joystiq):
A recent survey seeks consumer interest in a PSP game rental service. With the PSP Go all but confirmed a possibility and UMD on its way out, a PSP that takes full advantage of the digital age and the PSN doesn't exactly sound like crazy talk. Plus, there's always going to be a rental market, so why shouldn't Sony take advantage of that?

Depending on the terms and price, the idea of a direct rental service sounds like a potentially cost effective option for gamers during these hard economic times. Should it ever come to fruition, that is.

psprental580.jpg

LOL, I guess this is more like a subscription based DD than a rental but it has potential- Zune pass equivalent for PSN?

bread's done
Back