PSP Go thread-

Yeah, people don't realize how expensive it must be to make that thing. I don't see devices with this big screen, 16gb flash memory, bluetooth, wifi, powerful internals selling for less than $200 just yet. Maybe next year and it's probably the reason Sony has decided to continue selling the old model for now.

[quote name='FitzRoy']Yeah, people don't realize how expensive it must be to make that thing. I don't see devices with this big screen, 16gb flash memory, bluetooth, wifi, powerful internals selling for less than $200 just yet. Maybe next year and it's probably the reason Sony has decided to continue selling the old model for now.[/QUOTE]

I would quite honestly rather pay $50 more and get an ipod touch 2g. Does everything and more than a PSP (graphics almost look as good too, if not better in some cases) and quite honestly I have spent more game time on my iphone/ipod touch than my PSP.

Looks GREAT...BUT....249.99???? I bought it when it first came out...I own 5 games. They would have to have a KILLER trade in deal at Gamestop for me to even contemplate that price.

[quote name='lucid734']Looks GREAT...BUT....249.99???? I bought it when it first came out...I own 5 games. They would have to have a KILLER trade in deal at Gamestop for me to even contemplate that price.[/QUOTE]

Plus you would have to re-buy all your games on PSN...if they are all even on there.

[quote name='Malik112099']Plus you would have to re-buy all your games on PSN...if they are all even on there.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that, if you import *at all*, you're fucked w/ the Go.

I just really hope they have some kind of solution for people who have UMDs..
Then again, I speak like I have a large PSP collection :lol:

::takes his 3 games and goes elsewhere::

[quote name='lilboo']I just really hope they have some kind of solution for people who have UMDs..
Then again, I speak like I have a large PSP collection :lol:

::takes his 3 games and goes elsewhere::[/QUOTE]

this is the big reason why I think the go will fail...even with SUPER cheap used UMD games at our disposal it seams that the majority of us have a very small number of psp games (i currently have 4)...what would drive any of us to pay the full price for a DD game we know we wont play that much?

[quote name='Malik112099']this is the big reason why I think the go will fail...even with SUPER cheap used UMD games at our disposal it seams that the majority of us have a very small number of psp games (i currently have 4)...what would drive any of us to pay the full price for a DD game we know we wont play that much?[/QUOTE]
The problem is there hasn't been a lot of AAA games released on the PSP. With more GOOD games coming out this year and next, i already see about 5 or so that i plan on getting. GT PSP, MGSPW, AC:B, FFXIIIA, and SOCOM FTB3, and that's just the short list, i know there are a few more that i'm forgetting.

Glad Sony ditched the UMD totally. It was by far fragile and poorly designed. Thank god I played all my games off the memory stick.

LOL@UMD game collectors..wtf we're you thinking? These will not be worth shit in the future.

I'm wondering will it be easy (or rather Possible) to mod the flash drive and replace the 16 gb drive w/ sometime a lot more substantial? Also, will PSP go only have the 16gb model or will their be a cheaper 8gb model, because truly that's what needs to happen.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'm wondering will it be easy (or rather Possible) to mod the flash drive and replace the 16 gb drive w/ sometime a lot more substantial? Also, will PSP go only have the 16gb model or will their be a cheaper 8gb model, because truly that's what needs to happen.[/QUOTE]

keep in mind you can get 2x 16gb sdhc and an sdhc->produo adapter for about $55 total, probably a little less by the time this comes out

Word is Sony is tinkering with the idea to implement a way to convert umds of older games onto the PSP Go free of charge.

That is very appealing to me. Source was a kotaku/giz article I'm tried to find but couldn't - sorry.

[quote name='Foo228']Word is Sony is tinkering with the idea to implement a way to convert umds of older games onto the PSP Go free of charge.

That is very appealing to me. Source was a kotaku/giz article I'm tried to find but couldn't - sorry.[/QUOTE]

That would be nice, because i would rather buy a physical copy of the game and convert it, rather than download it digitally.

Ok the new presser makes it alot more worth it to get a Go now:

* Easy Sliding Display Panel and Original Applications

When the panel is open, users will be able to enjoy various entertainment content with the familiar button control as PSP-3000, when closed, original applications for (exclusive to) PSPgo, such as a clock and calendar is displayed on the screen. Users can also enjoy video and music when the panel is closed.

* Game sleep function
PSPgo has unique features such as game sleep function which enables users to operate XMB (XrossMediaBar) while pausing gameplay temporarily.

* Bluetooth® function
Bluetooth function will also allow users to connect Bluetooth standard peripherals such as head-phones and head-set as well as PS3 wireless controller (DUALSHOCK®3 and SIXAXIS®)

* Peripheral line-up
One of the products within PSPgo's peripheral line-up is a new Cradle (PSP-N340) *7 that will become available in stores worldwide concurrently with the release of PSPgo. This new Cradle enables users to charge the PSPgo battery and also enjoy watching video and listening to music. Also included in the peripheral line-up are video-out port cables that enable users to enjoy games and videos on their TVs at home.
http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/518

definitly like the bluetooth which was something I was expecting would be used. also the XMB sleep mode is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Ok the new presser makes it alot more worth it to get a Go now:

http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/518

definitly like the bluetooth which was something I was expecting would be used. also the XMB sleep mode is great.[/QUOTE]

wait a minute, so it mentions...

"PS3 wireless controller (DUALSHOCK®3 and SIXAXIS®) *6 to be used when watching video content on TVs"

how come no mention of using the controller to play games?

Here's even better news than PSP Go:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/990/990893p1.html

As of March 2009, cumulative worldwide sell-in units of the PSP system exceeded 51.6 million units.

Sony announced it is reducing the price of the Development Tool models DTP-T2000A and DTP-T2000, the hardware necessary for developing PSP software, to JPY150,000 in Japan, US $1,500 in North America and €1,200 in Europe/PAL territories effective immediately.

I think they said 80% lower? So it used to be $7500 in NA I guess. That is big difference. I know it's not the only factor (userbase is more important), but out of curiosity anyone know what DSi development kits cost?

SCE will also provide ProDG for PSP, a highly acclaimed powerful programming tool which helps to improve productivity of software development, as part of PSP Software Development Kit*1 without an additional charge. Also effective today, Testing Tool models DTP-H2500A and DTP-H2500, the tools utilized for quality assurance for PSP titles under development, will also become available at an affordable price of JPY100,000 in Japan, US $ 1,000 in North America and €800 in Europe/PAL territories.

streamlining the process from license agreement to publishing for small, download exclusive software titles.

[quote name='Malik112099']I would quite honestly rather pay $50 more and get an ipod touch 2g. Does everything and more than a PSP (graphics almost look as good too, if not better in some cases) and quite honestly I have spent more game time on my iphone/ipod touch than my PSP.[/QUOTE]
I have to say that I find gaming on the Ipod Touch to be lackluster. Provide dpad, analog, and buttons and yes it could be better than PSP but it would also need some better publisher support. MGS Peace Walker vs MGS Touch... NFS Undercover vs GT PSP. Etc.

[quote name='J7.']Here's even better news than PSP Go:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/990/990893p1.html

As of March 2009, cumulative worldwide sell-in units of the PSP system exceeded 51.6 million units.

Sony announced it is reducing the price of the Development Tool models DTP-T2000A and DTP-T2000, the hardware necessary for developing PSP software, to JPY150,000 in Japan, US $1,500 in North America and €1,200 in Europe/PAL territories effective immediately.

I think they said 80% lower? So it used to be $7500 in NA I guess. That is big difference. I know it's not the only factor (userbase is more important), but out of curiosity anyone know what DSi development kits cost?

SCE will also provide ProDG for PSP, a highly acclaimed powerful programming tool which helps to improve productivity of software development, as part of PSP Software Development Kit*1 without an additional charge. Also effective today, Testing Tool models DTP-H2500A and DTP-H2500, the tools utilized for quality assurance for PSP titles under development, will also become available at an affordable price of JPY100,000 in Japan, US $ 1,000 in North America and €800 in Europe/PAL territories.

streamlining the process from license agreement to publishing for small, download exclusive software titles.[/QUOTE]

I agree, much better news than the PSP go. Perhaps so cool indy games might turn up, I bet they get DD forced on them though.

Still, more developers having access to lower cost SDKs is good news.

[quote name='J7.']
I have to say that I find gaming on the Ipod Touch to be lackluster. Provide dpad, analog, and buttons and yes it could be better than PSP but it would also need some better publisher support. MGS Peace Walker vs MGS Touch... NFS Undercover vs GT PSP. Etc.[/QUOTE]

I am interested to see how some of the bigger names in iPhone/iTouch gaming turn out like the new Mass Effect game- which looks really good.

Indy games in general are usually download-only. Sony really needs to get the PSP PSN market going since I believe there are two original PSN games on the PSP (Beats and Syphon Filter MP), which is pretty much empty compared to what PS3 owners can download for their console.

So I'm going to imagine it's not just going to be PSN shit on the PSP Go..but..maybe exclusive shit to the PSP Go aka PSPWare :cool:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Did anyone even read the new presser? I think it further justifys the $249 that pretty much most CAGs here wont pay.

I'll get it.[/QUOTE]
I read your post and just went back and read the entire presser now as well. Some of it seems software based, but the bluetooth and peripheral compatibility further help to justify the price. Although it is still $20 too much.Hopefully the Pearl white is coming here, it doesn't specify which countries yet for colors. Does Media Go update or replace Media Manager, meaning should I uninstall Media Manager first? What does Media Go do that MM does not?

There's no justification for a console that doesn't do anything that my 4 year old, can-be-bought-today for nearly $100 less console can do.

Sony seems to want to lose sometimes, as far as I'm concerned. Their staunch refusal to bring any of their consoles to a reasonable market pricepoint just fucking TEEMS with hubris.

This is akin to them announcing, at this year's E3, a 500GB PS3 that retails for $599.

[quote name='mykevermin']There's no justification for a console that doesn't do anything that my 4 year old, can-be-bought-today for nearly $100 less console can do.

Sony seems to want to lose sometimes, as far as I'm concerned. Their staunch refusal to bring any of their consoles to a reasonable market pricepoint just fucking TEEMS with hubris.

This is akin to them announcing, at this year's E3, a 500GB PS3 that retails for $599.[/QUOTE]

. . .and no longer has a Blu-Ray drive, only DD HD movies.

So did SONY announce anything about further expanding the available DD library? It would be great if I could download whatever I wanted to a 2k or 3k and still play it.

[quote name='mykevermin']There's no justification for a console that doesn't do anything that my 4 year old, can-be-bought-today for nearly $100 less console can do.

This is akin to them announcing, at this year's E3, a 500GB PS3 that retails for $599.[/QUOTE]
It's not the what can it do that makes it more expensive. Yes, the price is a little too high, but it has features that do make it more costly (the design, the bluetooth, the new peripheral compatibility, the flash memory, possibly higher quality screen costs more even though its smaller). People need to stop bitching so much about it, if you don't like it fine, but people shouldn't go on and on about it. It's not a system to make everyone upgrade, it's more of a system for new owners.

Just saw a pic of the white one:
whitepsp.jpg

Wait, what?

It's not like the console is a great idea. There's plenty to bitch about. The price, the same single nub, and the inability to transfer content you already own/possess to the new system (just for starters).

The product is the epitome of Sony's hubris and unwillingness to listen to what it is their customer base wants. They've given us a new product that does very little to nothing that's new (what advantage does bluetooth give us other than the ability to transfer to and from the PS3?), costs more, and does not address the 4+ years of limitations and complaints that people have levied at the system.

They've given the customer something new - but it's not what the customer wants.

[quote name='J7.']It's not the what can it do that makes it more expensive. Yes, the price is a little too high, but it has features that do make it more costly (the design, the bluetooth, the new peripheral compatibility, the flash memory, possibly higher quality screen costs more even though its smaller). People need to stop bitching so much about it, if you don't like it fine, but people shouldn't go on and on about it. It's not a system to make everyone upgrade, it's more of a system for new owners.

Just saw a pic of the white one:
whitepsp.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Uh, there's nothing to conclude that the screen, bluetooth, or flash memory nessessarily make it a more quality product or more expensive components. $250 bucks could mean they just want higher profit margins. All we know it could be CHEAPER to produce or the same to produce as the 3000 units.

[quote name='mykevermin']Wait, what?

It's not like the console is a great idea. There's plenty to bitch about. The price, the same single nub, and the inability to transfer content you already own/possess to the new system (just for starters).

The product is the epitome of Sony's hubris and unwillingness to listen to what it is their customer base wants. They've given us a new product that does very little to nothing that's new (what advantage does bluetooth give us other than the ability to transfer to and from the PS3?), costs more, and does not address the 4+ years of limitations and complaints that people have levied at the system.

They've given the customer something new - but it's not what the customer wants.[/QUOTE]
The console does what was needed most, help deal with piracy, attract new owners, and allow for the smaller game/app model more easily. It also helps push the PSP as publishers start more support again. I think the price also helps allow Sony to lower development kit costs so drastically and include those other development tools I mentioned above.

I acknowledge the price was too high, everyone has already multiple times. It needs to be a single nub. 51.6 million people and more going forward do not have 2 nubs. Putting a 2nd nub would alienate those without it. Seriously. Developers would also have to try to cater to those with and without a nub. Online would be broken. We haven't heard whether or not there are plans to be able to transfer content.

Bluetooth gives you wireless headset and control as well, and probably other bluetooth compatibility. Does not address all the complaints about UMD and piracy...? They've given me what I wanted and others as well. I've seen about the same people who really like the PSP Go as I have seen those that do not, and it seems those that do not almost all already own a PSP.

What did they give that I wanted? They gave a system where the controls can be slid away, they gave flash memory, they gave a system with less loading times (people bitched about that too), they gave most likely better battery life, they gave a smaller form factor, they gave a willingness to push smaller games and probably apps, they reached out to developers at the same time as a new hardware launch to get more software support, they lowered development costs very drastically to allow for more development and smaller games. It's great to see all that they have done to reinvigorate the PSP, not just with Go, but all that they have done on the development side simultaneously.

[quote name='warpedcore']Uh, there's nothing to conclude that the screen, bluetooth, or flash memory nessessarily make it a more quality product or more expensive components. $250 bucks could mean they just want higher profit margins. All we know it could be CHEAPER to produce or the same to produce as the 3000 units.[/QUOTE]
We don't know. But it could cost more and I would bet it does, probably not enough to justify $250 though.

[quote name='J7.']The console does what was needed most, help deal with piracy, attract new owners, and allow for the smaller game/app model more easily.[/QUOTE]

This could not be done w/ the 3000? The only thing it does, arguably, that the 3000 doesn't is "attract new owners." And I'm extraordinarily skeptical that such is a worthwhile claim, given the price point.

[quote name='mykevermin']This could not be done w/ the 3000? The only thing it does, arguably, that the 3000 doesn't is "attract new owners." And I'm extraordinarily skeptical that such is a worthwhile claim, given the price point.[/QUOTE]
Going DD helps much more with piracy than what the current PSP model provided. Doesn't make much sense to go DD without having built in memory. It will attract the new owners who want to spend that much, those that do not know they can get the 3000. Just like DSi and DSL. It does allow for smaller game/app model more easily because people will now be going online with it much more often because its DD and they don't have to worry about memory card issues. Sure this last one is not as large a reason but it still helps. I pointed out a lot of other stuff in my post too. I don't want to argue with you because it will go nowhere since we each see it in different lights. But I am wondering what you would have designed it be in terms of design, features, price, etc? Doesn't mean I won't not argue over your own design though ;)

[quote name='warpedcore']Uh, there's nothing to conclude that the screen, bluetooth, or flash memory nessessarily make it a more quality product or more expensive components. $250 bucks could mean they just want higher profit margins. All we know it could be CHEAPER to produce or the same to produce as the 3000 units.[/QUOTE]

Listen to the guy with the Apple avatar, he knows these things from experience

:lol:

[quote name='J7.']Going DD helps much more with piracy than what the current PSP model provided. Doesn't make much sense to go DD without having built in memory. It will attract the new owners who want to spend that much, those that do not know they can get the 3000. Just like DSi and DSL. It does allow for smaller game/app model more easily because people will now be going online with it much more often because its DD and they don't have to worry about memory card issues. Sure this last one is not as large a reason but it still helps. I pointed out a lot of other stuff in my post too. I don't want to argue with you because it will go nowhere since we each see it in different lights. But I am wondering what you would have designed it be in terms of design, features, price, etc? Doesn't mean I won't not argue over your own design though ;)[/QUOTE]

I did trade my DS for a DSi because of the potential of DSiware.
However, DS ->DSi = +$40
PSP -> PSPGo = +$80?
No, thanks.

I do like the way it looks. I am pro digital distribution. But $80 more for pretty much the same thing is ridiculous.

I mean, I'm sure EB/GS will have some trade in promotion. The DS Lite got $70 towards a DSi..... then we'll see.

I rather this be $250 and it be a forced bundle. At least it'll feel like more bang for the buck.

Maybe they will bundle it with at least something after seeing reactions to the price. It should've been $229.

[quote name='J7.']Does Media Go update or replace Media Manager, meaning should I uninstall Media Manager first? What does Media Go do that MM does not?[/QUOTE]
Trying to go to the Media Manager page on the US SCEA site takes you to the Media Go site now, so it's replacing MM but it doesn't actually replace it when you download Media Go. I tried out both and Media Manager cannot connect to the PS Store anymore since it just says to download the Media Go app to get access to the store and Media Go supports SensMe, which is pretty much just the mood music thing that Folding@Home offers for its music playback. My major pet peeve is that it doesn't allow for RSS feed importing from the PSP for either app, so I'd have to find and copy/paste all of the RSS feed links into the app to get access to download those podcasts. It's pretty much the same thing and unless you don't care about getting to the PS Store, it's fine if you stick with Media Manager.

Playing Gran Turmiso on the psp go is awkward o_O....... the new analog stick is even more small and awkward than the previous, but I guess it's fine to just use the Dpad.

But yeah small it is indeed.

[quote name='whoknows']Does it feel like it's in a better place?

I hate where the nub is now.[/QUOTE]

He just said it's smaller and more awkward, which means its worse.

bread's done
Back