PSP Go thread-

[quote name='Ecofreak']
BTW Rolento, that new signature gif is AWESOME![/QUOTE]

Thank GAF.

personally, I'll get one. I say the power of this version will be tested on the announcements made at E3. Also note the strange black icon above the PSN network icons.

I miss my PSP 2000, I had like 5 games ripped to my 8GB Memory Stick,

darn battery would last for like 12 hours since the UMD never spun up.

Sold it to buy an iPod Touch

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Not Really a good comparison. Thing is when the DS launched Nintendo had no idea if it would sell, and they (GBA and the DS)are 2 completely different systems. The PSP GO is a PSP with no UMD drive not a new system. Also both can play PSN bought games, and publishers like the download model because they can make more money. In the retail stream they have to sell to a distributor who then sells to the retailer. In a PSN only model you don't press discs, cases, and inserts there for you can, but don't have to, sell at a lower price and make more money. Last your developing for a PSP there is no need to port anything the PSP hackers have been ripping games for years now to on the MS.[/QUOTE]

True. You are talking about a real media format migration here, on what is supposed to be the same platform. Abandoning the existing media is "pants on head retarded."

Also, those engadget comments have me ROFL'ing.

On the other hand, if UMDs do drop in prices, I'd just get a 3000 and buy up all the lower cost games.

There was not a single mention of touch screen functionality in this new PSP. And thus, from a pure hardware perspective, I probably won't be buying it. Especially so if the price is raised.

On the other hand, if Sony suddenly becomes not so Sony-like and puts forth a whole lot of software support for this, including a more open SDK and PSN store so developers all over can make games and apps for it, then I'd seriously consider it.

Right now though, I'll probably get an iPod touch.

I'm definitely interested since I hate having to haul around UMDs (or anything else for that matter) with a handheld, since I don't find that to be very portable. As long as the price for the unit and downloads are reasonable, a very good chance I'll get one at some point. Glad I just sold all my UMDs lol. Now I just need EB to offer some kind of trade up for my current PSP.

Oh good, another slap in the face for consumer rights.

Sony can go to hell for going digital. They'll take my UMDs from my cold, dead hands.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Oh good, another slap in the face for consumer rights.

Sony can go to hell for going digital. They'll take my UMDs from my cold, dead hands.[/QUOTE]

From what I read, they don't have plans to replace the current PSP model, and will still be producing UMDs. If anything, I view this as a larger test run for the PSP 2. If things go well with the PSP GO, then they will go DD only for PSP 2.

[quote name='Ryukahn']From what I read, they don't have plans to replace the current PSP model.[/QUOTE]

Yes and Nintendo said exactly the same thing about the GBA when the DS came out.

My guess is Sony is trying to fill a Gap.

Sony was once the Leader in WalkMans CD players mp3 players etc.

Right now Even Microsoft's Zune has Surpassed any Sony mp3's Players Here is teh Market I think Sony is smartly Targeting.

16GB iPod Touch, $299, Music, Game, Apps Pictures etc.

Microsoft Zune HD $299 OLED screen 16GB Music, Movies Games, Xbox 360 integration

PSP-Go, $299 Music, Movies, BEST of All game player.

So when that Target audeince young Male 18 to 30 demographic with a job

says what do I want for $299 or $249 or $199 I think SONY's PSP-Go is in the right spot.

I think Apple wll drop down the Price of the 8GB IPOd Touch to $199

And Microsoft Zune HD should be $199

Maybe the PSP Go will be $199

Thats the Market.

Don't do any Nintendo DSi comparissons, Nintendo is not playing in the same league as Apple, Sony, and Microsoft who are trying to offer a complete lifestyle, and ecosystem solution

@ Mr. Twist the 8gb iPod touch will be gone soon.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Oh good, another slap in the face for consumer rights.

Sony can go to hell for going digital. They'll take my UMDs from my cold, dead hands.[/QUOTE]

No think the DMCA for that, but I still don't see your point. Even if you just own bits you still own it. What rights are they taking away, no resell value? I just cant buy this argument that your consumer rights are being taken away.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Yes and Nintendo said exactly the same thing about the GBA when the DS came out.[/QUOTE]
The GBA and DS are completely different. The PSP-1000/2000/3000's play the same games at the new 'Go!'. Only difference is the Go! doesn't have UMD, but Sony has already said there will be a lot of games coming to the PSP PSN store.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']@ Mr. Twist the 8gb iPod touch will be gone soon.

No think the DMCA for that, but I still don't see your point. Even if you just own bits you still own it. What rights are they taking away, no resell value? I just cant buy this argument that your consumer rights are being taken away.[/QUOTE]

Even apple gave in to the drm complain. As for Sony they offer game share for a lot of their stuff. You can easily divide the cost between 5 people

[quote name='Mr. Twist']PSP-Go, $299 Music, Movies, BEST of All game player.

Maybe the PSP Go will be $199[/QUOTE]
I've been reading rumors that the Go! will be LESS than the previous models. It makes sense too; small spec improvements (most likely), smaller form, no UMD drive...cost wise, this thing is most likely a good amount cheaper than the PSP-3000's and Sony sells those at $170 and make a profit.

Here is another thing to keep in mind, FFVII just appeared on PSN. I think a big announcement of PSP GO with FFVII available for launch would help sony a lot.

[quote name='SynGamer']The GBA and DS are completely different. The PSP-1000/2000/3000's play the same games at the new 'Go!'. Only difference is the Go! doesn't have UMD, but Sony has already said there will be a lot of games coming to the PSP PSN store.[/QUOTE]

Not good enough.

Games, at the very least, should be on both formats.

DD only is an unacceptable solution.

IF Sony wants to create a Panic and Nationwide shut down.

They Go $169.99 same as the DSi

and drop the PSP 3000 to $129.99 same as DS Lite

at this point with the economy they need to create sales and drive people to buy software.

Because the PSP 3000 is basically unhackable, so fight the DS Lite and sell tons of Units.

And leave Microsoft's Zune HD flapping in the Wind with Zero sales at $199

Look closely at the Zune HD see the Xbox 360 symbol

http://gizmodo.com/5271446/the-mystery-of-the-zune-hd

theres a Reason and logic why its being Debuted at E3, and it sells at Gamestop because its the Handheld brand Microsoft wants to develop

some say its using NVIDIA's Tegra chipset of anyone can afford it Microsoft can and Tegra would offer easily Gamecube like graphics. Do a Youtube search for NVIDIA Tegra

[quote name='Mr. Twist']

Don't do any Nintendo DSi comparissons, Nintendo is not playing in the same league as Apple, Sony, and Microsoft who are trying to offer a complete lifestyle, and ecosystem solution[/QUOTE]

And why not? The DS is dominating this generations hardware market. $169 is still high for the DSi though IMHO.

:lol: "ecosystem solution"

My theory is These so called "leaks" are deliberate (often times corporate makes it look like a leak when its not)

Why do I say this? Well E3 is Monday so to grab 100% of the attention hype and Mindshare is to leak this on Saturday so all people talk about is the PSP-Go

Plus if it was a real leak we would know the Specs, Price and more

alot of important stuff has been suspiciously held back on purpose.

Make no mistake this was no "leak" from a spy, Sony released this

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Yes and Nintendo said exactly the same thing about the GBA when the DS came out.[/QUOTE]

No they didn't.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Not good enough.

Games, at the very least, should be on both formats.

DD only is an unacceptable solution.[/QUOTE]
I completely agree. I like owning physical media, mainly for reselling purposes.

Looks like a desperate attempt for vindication that will likely end up failing. Sony shouldn't have half assed this redesign. It should have atleast done a dual analog setup and let developers make games that detect which version PSP you have.

[quote name='help1']Looks like a desperate attempt for vindication that will likely end up failing. Sony shouldn't have half assed this redesign. It should have atleast done a dual analog setup and let developers make games that detect which version PSP you have.[/QUOTE]
Why? You would be alienating 50+ million users who already bought your product and support(ed) you. Why smear a new PSP with 2 analog sticks in their face? Save 2 analogs for the PSP2. It will instantly make the system 'legit' in many peoples eyes and even though everyone knows it will be on the PSP2, they'll still be happy as hell to see it.

The one thing I really don't understand is the thought that removing the UMD drive makes the PSP less hackable?

I have a iPhone and it is hacked with all sorts of stuff on it. Not bootleg games but having a larger internal hard drive doesn't make it seem like the games will be less harder to hack on there.

Another thing is that most iPhone games are pretty cheap. Does this mean we are going to get $4.99 PSP Go games or have to pay $29.99 for games we don't actually own.

The PSP doesn't really know what it is competing against. Is it picking a fight with the DS or the Ipod? Seems they loose either way instead of just doing something different. The Go doesn't look sexy, I wanted the older mockup pictures much more and now just makes me want to pick up an older PSP instead.

The main thing though the PSP needs is great games for the PSP. Not just PS2 ported games but quick and fun games only available on the PSP. Hopefully this is announced at E3 but I think we are going to just get more of the same from the PSP game library.

[quote name='SynGamer']Why? You would be alienating 50+ million users who already bought your product and support(ed) you.[/QUOTE]

Because being loyal to those 50 million fans has really worked out well for Sony thus far, right? The problem here is that Sony is trying to do a patch job with the PSP, instead of actually making the hard hitting changes that could actually make a difference. This is more of a cop out then when Nintendo made the Gameboy color, which hardly changed the way GBA games played.

This is part of a new blog entry I wrote -- please feel free to express your opinions!

Main Critisim -- Lack of Physical Ownership - I, too, am someone who much rather prefers to physically own objects rather than in some virtual nebulous space. It provides a sense of comfort and satisfaction that I can see, touch, and manipulate what I own. So I was definitely resistant to the idea of direct download only but am starting to come around to the idea.

Ability to Redownload Games - One clear benefit of direct download is the ability to re-download a game if you should lose your system or have it stolen. There's been several posts these past couple of money from CAGers who have had such unfortunate situations happen to them, and everything is gone. If they want to play their games again, they need to repurchases them. If they wanted to sell those games eventually, then that's money lost. Direct Download, however, negates that situation in your freedom to redownload a game no matter the reason. Speaking only for the PSN, you can download a game 5 times. I believe this concept was specifically created as space saving feature for those with small (ex. 20 GB) hard drives. Don't play a PSN game for a while? Delete it and re-download it again when you want to play it again.

I am personally afraid of losing my DS when traveling because I sometimes carry games that, combined, cost more than the system itself (because I often carry some more recent titles that still have high value). If I should lose my system or have it stolen, I only need to redownload the game to "restart" my collection. Sure, I lose all my save data but better than spending all that money on rebuying said software.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']geeze this guy is fast...

http://i40.tinypic.com/es1buo.jpg[/QUOTE]

PSP-go should be choking the UMD to death not the pirate(d) PSP.

es1buo.jpg

[quote name='Ecofreak'] you can download a game 5 times. [/QUOTE]

You can download a game UNLIMTED times to 5 PSP's. And if its a PS1 game, its 5 PSP's + 5 PS3s. Sonys DRM this gen is hands down the best by a mile.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']PSP-go should be choking the UMD to death not the pirate(d) PSP.

[/QUOTE]

that's what I though it was doing till i re read it, whatever.

[quote name='help1']Because being loyal to those 50 million fans has really worked out well for Sony thus far, right? The problem here is that Sony is trying to do a patch job with the PSP, instead of actually making the hard hitting changes that could actually make a difference. This is more of a cop out then when Nintendo made the Gameboy color, which hardly changed the way GBA games played.[/QUOTE]
Are you retarded or something? Seriously, how is this a patch job? As others have suggested, this is likely a small test for Sony to see how well digital downloads work for the PSP brand and PSN. There's no reason to add major features. They've put 16GB and a slightly larger screen (I think) on the Go, which is perfect since they want people to download games/movies. You seem to think this is a replacement, when in fact, it isn't. The PSP-3000 is still out there, this will be for people that don't want to be tied down to UMDs...quite simple, really.

[quote name='SynGamer']I completely agree. I like owning physical media, mainly for reselling purposes.[/QUOTE]

So would you be upset then if, say, the Direct Download game was $5-10 cheaper than the physical version?

[quote name='blitz6speed']You can download a game UNLIMTED times to 5 PSP's. And if its a PS1 game, its 5 PSP's + 5 PS3s. Sonys DRM this gen is hands down the best by a mile.[/QUOTE]

every DRM system has its nightmares. I know 360 has a few nightmare situations as well as Sony, but I agree that Sony seems to have it down decently at least (don't talk about Sing Star DLC though, that's not so nicey nice).

[quote name='Strell']No they didn't.[/QUOTE]

Um, they did. They made sure to go on about the DS not being a succesor/replacement/competitor to the GBA, and how it would off doing it's own thing.

[quote name='blitz6speed']You can download a game UNLIMTED times to 5 PSP's. And if its a PS1 game, its 5 PSP's + 5 PS3s. Sonys DRM this gen is hands down the best by a mile.[/QUOTE]

No way...I thought it was 5 times period. So the whole risk of gamesharing is that, if you do it with 4 other people (for 5 downloads total) and your system breaks then you have to buy it again.

But your description does make sense... If this is true, then there is really no reason for people to not like Direct Download unless they want to sell the games and buy used ones.

As long as they limit it and control it, you don't own it.

If they want to take down content from a DLC server to force you to rebuy it on another format- they can. The problem is you aren't guaranteed your 5 DLs, they are only available at the whim of the real owner.

I buy physical media whenever the prices are even remotely comparible.

[quote name='Ecofreak']So would you be upset then if, say, the Direct Download game was $5-10 cheaper than the physical version?[/QUOTE]
I'd be torn, because $10 cheaper is a good discount, but the inability to sell the game later would likely make me weigh the pros and cons. If the game costs $19.99 versus $29.99, i may very well buy the DD if it's a game i know i'll play for quite a while/would have kept in my collection. Again, i'd be torn...

[quote name='bingbangboom']The one thing I really don't understand is the thought that removing the UMD drive makes the PSP less hackable?

I have a iPhone and it is hacked with all sorts of stuff on it. Not bootleg games but having a larger internal hard drive doesn't make it seem like the games will be less harder to hack on there.

Another thing is that most iPhone games are pretty cheap. Does this mean we are going to get $4.99 PSP Go games or have to pay $29.99 for games we don't actually own.

The PSP doesn't really know what it is competing against. Is it picking a fight with the DS or the Ipod? Seems they loose either way instead of just doing something different. The Go doesn't look sexy, I wanted the older mockup pictures much more and now just makes me want to pick up an older PSP instead.

The main thing though the PSP needs is great games for the PSP. Not just PS2 ported games but quick and fun games only available on the PSP. Hopefully this is announced at E3 but I think we are going to just get more of the same from the PSP game library.[/QUOTE]

Well the PS3 and PSP 3000 been pretty successful against hacker so I would expect the PSP Go to be the same

[quote name='Ecofreak']No way...I thought it was 5 times period. So the whole risk of gamesharing is that, if you do it with 4 other people (for 5 downloads total) and your system breaks then you have to buy it again.

But your description does make sense... If this is true, then there is really no reason for people to not like Direct Download unless they want to sell the games and buy used ones.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's unlimited downloads once you purchase, it's just the number of registered systems at a time can only be up to 5.

Due to this reason I partially back DD titles, but I think the main problem with DD is DD prices vs Retail. It's cheaper to produce a DD than a retail (cost of printing, package, etc), but most of the customer never sees the benefit of that in the sale price.

If Sony dosn't offer cheap and affordable sofware, even if it is in chunks or episodes or whatever, it might or might not hurt them.

personally the PSP saved my sanity all last 2 semesters at college. I ride metro and public trans everywhere so there's alot of waiting and stuff. I mostly kill time with music on my way to college/work, and play games on my way back home. I already have enough shit to carry in my bookbag/backpack so carrying less UMDs is a plus for me. Patapon 2 made me realize this and I mostly support DD now as I'm entirely comfortable without owning a physical copy now.

The main problem I think we all have is we really thought this would be the sequel to the PSP not just a slight update. If anything, it is lacking many of the features other media devices have like a touch screen and camera. Just seems like someone not really incharge of the gaming division came up with this idea and I bet the profit on this thing for Sony is huge.

I really don't think it will take off the way Sony hopes for. I bet the cost of upgrading the PSP to a true PSP 2 was just too much for Sony to do right now. It is a money issue and they will try to market this thing to tweens.

[quote name='bingbangboom']The main problem I think we all have is we really thought this would be the sequel to the PSP not just a slight update. If anything, it is lacking many of the features other media devices have like a touch screen and camera. Just seems like someone not really incharge of the gaming division came up with this idea and I bet the profit on this thing for Sony is huge.

I really don't think it will take off the way Sony hopes for. I bet the cost of upgrading the PSP to a true PSP 2 was just too much for Sony to do right now. It is a money issue and they will try to market this thing to tweens.[/QUOTE]
Please speak for yourself. I'm not expecting the PSP 2 until 2010/11. Sony usually waits 5-6 years to release a new console, I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for the PSP (released in 2005).

[quote name='SynGamer']I'd be torn, because $10 cheaper is a good discount, but the inability to sell the game later would likely make me weigh the pros and cons. If the game costs $19.99 versus $29.99, i may very well buy the DD if it's a game i know i'll play for quite a while/would have kept in my collection. Again, i'd be torn...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like over 60% of the people have expressed hesitation, and I'm certainly one of them. But with Patapon 2 being released at $20, and that's a full title with great reviews, I can see a tiered pricing structure entering the market.

Now will that strain relationships with retailers? Most likely, but it would mean that Sony would have to give Brick-and-Mortar shops a greater slice of the sales pie to make up for lost game sales due to direct downloads should they being to reach a critical mass.

But Sony would ultimately win because it's hard to argue saving $10 over 10 games is $100, and at $20 a game that's 5 new games you could own (assuming you don't sell your physical copies).

[quote name='h3llbring3r']As long as they limit it and control it, you don't own it.

If they want to take down content from a DLC server to force you to rebuy it on another format- they can. The problem is you aren't guaranteed your 5 DLs, they are only available at the whim of the real owner.

I buy physical media whenever the prices are even remotely comparible.[/QUOTE]

A true argument -- but what about cartridges and other file formats? Say you have a huge library of Gameboy games, and your Gameboy breaks. And you can't find another Gameboy at a reasonable price. Even though you own the game, you can no longer enjoy the product. But you could buy them again on your DS or Wii via Virtual Console.

Yet hopefully that would be an moot point in time, as all future PSPs would continue supporting older game formats. And by going all digital, Sony would absolutely have a reason to support backwards compatibility as every digital sale would provide them with some revenue using digital downloads. A key reason why backwards compatibility was taken out (besides costs) is that most people buy used PS2 games so Sony doesn't see any of those sales. So why invest the money and cut on profit margins if there is no business benefit?

I am guess Sony is testing the water with this. If this is a success PSP2 will the umd-less. If this is a failure they can bring in PSP2 with UMD

[quote name='62t']I am guess Sony is testing the water with this. If this is a success PSP2 will the umd-less. If this is a failure they can bring in PSP2 with UMD[/QUOTE]
I'm personally hoping Sony uses their M2 format, or SDHC/HX or whatever the new 'super fast' version of SD is. Still offer DD, but i think they'll need a physical format if they want it to succeed.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I already have enough shit to carry in my bookbag/backpack so carrying less UMDs is a plus for me. Patapon 2 made me realize this and I mostly support DD now as I'm entirely comfortable without owning a physical copy now.[/QUOTE]

The first step is always the hardest. :lol:

[quote name='Ecofreak']
but what about cartridges and other file formats? Say you have a huge library of Gameboy games, and your Gameboy breaks. And you can't find another Gameboy at a reasonable price. Even though you own the game, you can no longer enjoy the product. But you could buy them again on your DS or Wii via Virtual Console. [/quote]

I'll concede that point if you can name for me one ubiquitous console that cannot be readily replaced via eBay or even third-party manufacturers.

[quote name='Ecofreak']
Yet hopefully that would be an moot point in time, as all future PSPs would continue supporting older game formats. And by going all digital, Sony would absolutely have a reason to support backwards compatibility as every digital sale would provide them with some revenue using digital downloads. [/QUOTE]
See below, you spell out the exact reasoning that would stop Sony (or any device provider) doing this past a second generation of BC.

[quote name='Ecofreak']
A key reason why backwards compatibility was taken out (besides costs) is that most people buy used PS2 games so Sony doesn't see any of those sales. So why invest the money and cut on profit margins if there is no business benefit?[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why you can only expect limited (if any) forward compatibility for current DLC purchases.

bread's done
Back