PSP Go thread-

it's actually in a worse place in my opinion, though nobody's hand is quite the same I suppose.

They really should have just moved the analog stick to the right side, but of course then again that'd conflict w/ a whole bunch of games.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Koller says that SOME of your UMD library is transferrable on a "goodwill" basis

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/04/sony-working-on-good-will-program-to-give-digital-copies-of-yo/
[/QUOTE]

Details emerging about the UMD "good will" conversion program:

"a set number of titles for a set period of time,"
at least 300 but not the whole back catalog -- but despite calling it a short-term program he did say, should you receive a new UMD game later down the line, you should still be able to make the digital transfer.
My suspicious & inflammatory translation:
It may be your media- but we are going to offer you the limited option of converting a limited number your physical media titles to our DRM governed digital format for titles we choose, for a time that we will determine out of our "good will."

-Granted this only applies as long as you buy this device. You have the option to vote with your wallet.

*sigh* Digital Video Express anyone?

The latter part of the statement is at least encouraging as it implies and reinforces Sony's recent statement that the UMD will not be immediately abandoned.

:whistle2:?

Twilight white vampire PSP go reveled. Apparently the sun doesn't kill them, they just sparkle:
white-psp-go-h-o-2009-06-05_07-25-39-rm-eng.jpg

[quote name='Zoglog']it's actually in a worse place in my opinion, though nobody's hand is quite the same I suppose.

They really should have just moved the analog stick to the right side, but of course then again that'd conflict w/ a whole bunch of games.[/QUOTE]

By looking at the photos, the position is totally awkward, so I'm not surprised by your conclusion.

Isn't that the same as the white PSP Go posted earlier?

I could see them offering the option of verifying a UMD game to get the download code that could be abused, but cut off for the last games available for that option before whatever the first PSN/UMD release is.

That PSP will go great with the denim jacket I bedazzled a unicorn on.

How is Sorny gonna attract 'tech enthusiasts' with a color that looks like a rejected My Little Pony?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Isn't that the same as the white PSP Go posted earlier?

I could see them offering the option of verifying a UMD game to get the download code that could be abused, but cut off for the last games available for that option before whatever the first PSN/UMD release is.[/QUOTE]

I'm betting on a mail-in option of some sort- à la red2blu, anything else is definitely subject to abuse.

Yes, it's the white. We just didn't know it was a fab-u-lous glittery white.

Last edited by a moderator:
but despite calling it a short-term program he did say, should you receive a new UMD game later down the line, you should still be able to make the digital transfer. As for price, we're still looking to confirm something there, but they wouldn't be putting so much effort into the program if it wasn't at least for a discount, if not free.
It should be free. I already bought these games. I shouldn't be charged more money to play them. Second, what happens if I buy a PSP Go (or the next installment of the PSP) like 3 years from now? Will it still be in effect? "Later down the line" doesn't sound like it would be that far down the line.

[quote name='Blackout']It should be free. I already bought these games. I shouldn't be charged more money to play them. Second, what happens if I buy a PSP Go (or the next installment of the PSP) like 3 years from now? Will it still be in effect? "Later down the line" doesn't sound like it would be that far down the line.[/QUOTE]

I think "short term program" is the key phrase. I hope they are not trying to use this program's limited time frame as an incentive to get people to adopt to the newer PSP go more quickly. (Read: pressure, adopt now or lose your UMD media upgrade.)

However, he also goes on to say that that should you buy a UMD in the future and want the digital version that option would be available. It's definitely mixed messages so far.

This is all speculation, but maybe the conversion program will be short lived but future UMDs would come with a one-time only digital DL code (but still, there is potential for abuse with that option; Albeit limited.).

I think by short-term program, maybe he's referring to what games will be included in the offer that you could redeem for a voucher. So there would be a point where new games don't count any longer and you have to make the choice of UMD versus PSN from that point on for new games, but anything before that qualifies for that program.

has battery life or whether it is user replaceable been announced? i asked the rep i talked to at the E3 booth, but said he didn't know to both questions and was generally unhelpful

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I think by short-term program, maybe he's referring to what games will be included in the offer that you could redeem for a voucher. So there would be a point where new games don't count any longer and you have to make the choice of UMD versus PSN from that point on for new games, but anything before that qualifies for that program.[/QUOTE]

That would certainly be the less appealing option for me. Which is why that is what Sony will likely do. :whistle2:|

I've heard rumors of an instore kiosk where you would deposit your UMDs, and get a digital version put on your PSP.

Are you guys just looking to bash the Go like a bunch of retarded fanboys for every conceivable reason? Bashing the price is one thing, but the fact that it comes in colour? Glitter PSPs are old news, they had much more girly colours than white for the 2000 in Japan. Things sold like hotcakes and looked pretty nice to boot since it's not just a shifty paintjob. Women tend to be considered a marketable group (pink DS, anyone?).

Apparently they're even allowed to vote now too.

[quote name='Nibi']I've heard rumors of an instore kiosk where you would deposit your UMDs, and get a digital version put on your PSP.[/QUOTE]

That would make the most sense... though I'd wonder where you heard this.

From John Koller: PSP Go's battery life is five-to-six hours, same as the PSP-3000.

Chances are that, just like with the 1000->2000 transition, they reduced power consumption, but any major benefits are negated due to a significantly smaller battery.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/05/video-white-psp-go-hands-on/

Koller told us battery life would be about five to six hours, on par with the 3000 model, and if that doesn't jibe with your needs, he said the company's looking into a battery boost peripheral similar to the add-ons we saw when the iPod first launched. The portable itself has been in the works "for several years," but despite the overlap, says it was designed independently of the MyLo -- we're pretty skeptical, but hey, stranger things have happened. Also, we think it goes without saying, but just to make absolute sure, we confirmed with him that it uses the same SDK as the regular PSP and hence, no exclusive Go titles.

[quote name='PuppetYuber']Did they fix the D-pad so you can finally play fighting games on PSP? lol[/QUOTE]

it's been fixed ever since the 2000 models...? where've you been?

[quote name='Cao Cao']From John Koller: PSP Go's battery life is five-to-six hours, same as the PSP-3000.

Chances are that, just like with the 1000->2000 transition, they reduced power consumption, but any major benefits are negated due to a significantly smaller battery.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/05/video-white-psp-go-hands-on/[/QUOTE]

I saw that coming.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']it's been fixed ever since the 2000 models...? where've you been?[/QUOTE]

Maybe, he was expecting something different? The PS style D-pad is pretty crappy, even though, it's the best of the current consoles. Besides for SF and Darkstalkers, I don't think any of the other fighting games need a super precise D-pad.

I want one... because my PSP screen look like shit. SO its about time for a replacement, I'll gladly trade in my old psp for a go. Honestly, it was a bitch trying to carry around the PSP and those flimsy ass UMDs. People don't talk much about it, but those UMDs were horrible quality. Once the case break.. that's it... you have to search high and low to find a replacement. (Because Sony never wanted to admit how cheap and flimsy those UMD games are).

I have NO incentive to buy this thing. Sony has fiven me NO reason other than blu-ray to sell/trade my 2000 and get this thing for $250. The battery life is the same. The screen is smaller. There are no special PSP Go only games since the SDK is the same as the regular PSP. The PSN Store wont have all the UMD games ever made on it. The regular PSP has access to all the same games as the PSP Go. They should have somehow thrown in a UMD drive and just called it the PSP-4000.

I am debating on upgrading form my 2000 to the GO. How they handle this "GOOD WILL" program will be the deciding factor for me.

I love the idea of downloading the games and having everything all-in-one. No more having to switch flimsy UMDs and I would hope reduced load times.

The things I hate are:
1) The price tag. If Sony is going to charge $250 it should come bundled with a couple of free game downloads, additional memory stick, or something.
2) Probably the biggest disappointment is the lack of improvment in battery life. The excuse was always how much of a power whore the UMD drive was with all of the loading and moving parts. Even with a smaller battey it seems to me there should be at least a 50% increase in battery life.

No thanks, i'll be sticking with my PSP 1001. In fact I recently bought another Phat as a backup. It's tough to go back to OFW once you've tried CFW. Plus I think the PSP Go looks like sh*t, although i'll reserve further judgment until I see one in person.

All Sony wants to do is get the PSP 1001, and 2000 Slim with CFW out of circulation. I can't blame them for trying. :lol:

mkay the slot on the bottom makes sense now... basically it's an ipod style USB and RGB/Component connection now as well as maybe the AC adaptor:

psp.go.accessories.060409-580px.jpg

http://playstation.joystiq.com/

Only thing I don't like about this is that it's going to be a pain if I lose the USB cable... not as bad as loosing a USB mini cable since you can use any type of cable.

So Sony is following Apple/MS's lead with proprietary accessories, can't say I didn't see that one coming.

IGN's impressions:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/991/991051p1.html

Chris:
"The fact that the buttons are a little lower on the system than the current one means that you don't have to form as much of a claw to use the shoulder buttons. There's more distance from the bulk of your hand and your index fingers with the go, which should make it more comfortable in the long run. I hope that the fact that the buttons are flush up against the back of the screen portion doesn't mean that they'll get cramped that way, but so far so good. The shoulder buttons also feel more responsive than the current plasticy-feeling buttons."

"I like the size quite a bit. I never carry my PSP around unless I know that I'm going to use it simply because of its size, but that may change once I get a PSP go. The analog stick also felt a little more solid and smooth than the current one, but I'll hold my final judgment on that until I get more time with it."

"My two issues are with price and what you'll do with your current library of UMDs." (This was before the Good-will announcement - either way).

Scott:
"When I first saw the leaked images of the PSP go, I couldn't help but feel that the design was a step backwards for Sony."

"What's more, the physical dimensions of the device are hard to gauge from the press photos."

"Instead, when you get a glimpse at and feel of the PSP go as one of the product's target audience -- semi-adult and male -- the device is strikingly compact."

"Despite its incredibly compact design, however, the PSP go isn't too small for those same enlarged, semi-adult male hands. My fingers wrapped comfortably around the edges of the device and I didn't have to cramp or arch my fingers to get a good feel on the shoulder buttons."

"Outside of my concerns about the physical size of the device, another big worry of mine was the positioning of the thumbstick. Again, misled by the in-hand promotional pictures, the thumbstick appeared to be bit of a reach for a player's thumb, but in reality its within a comfortable range." Funny, I didn't think it was but I did think the Go was small from the get go so...

"In a perfect world, I would have liked to have seen some serious processing boosts, but I expect that the flash-based games will take a sharp performance boost anyways."

Greg:
"I'm all over the place on the PSP go. I think $250 is too much to charge for a platform that's been out for four years now, but I definitely think it looks sexy. I think the slide screen might make accessing the shoulder buttons hard, but I dig the compact size. I got to play the PSP go yesterday, but it was in a metal holder and anchored to a bar so the weight and feel of the unit in my hands was off. I felt like the nub was in a goofy place, but Roper played it without the holder and said he didn't have the same problem so I think that concern is mainly due to the holder."

Gamepros impressions:
http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/210691/psp-go-e3-2009-impressions/

Noteworthy Pros:
"the PSP Go has one of the nicest handheld screens on the market, if not quite up the iPhone 3G's."

"Despite its smaller size, the PSP Go is actually more comfortable to use than the older PSPs. The L and R shoulder buttons are oversized and squishy, given you a great grip on the device. The analog stick is logically placed (though the placement looks weird in photos, it works well), and the new directional pad is shallower and clickier but works well."

They also mention the things Sony is doing besides the hardware itself to help the PSP Go and PSP overall, which was a point I was trying to make.

Noteworthy Cons:
They see no 2nd analog as one, I still disagree 110%. They suggest lock on controls for the 51+ million PSP owners without 2nd analog. What about online games?

No touch screen.

Conclusions:
"Overall, the PSP Go will re-energize the PSP ecosystem and get more developers and publishers interested in the device." Big point I agree with.

"It's not a perfect showing, though. By eschewing a second analog stick or touchscreen, Sony is stubbornly sticking to the PSP's original vision - an oversight that may cost them in the years to come."

" With a touchscreen and an analog stick, the PSP Go could have cruised along steadily for years to come and rendered a PSP2 unnecessary altogether." Gotta disagree with this a lot, Apple will keep upgrading their lineup.

I have a question. Is it confirmed that the new PSP Go will also be wireless-b, and not g? There are only a few things keeping me from becoming a new PSP guy, but that is one of them. (not to mention the not-so-stellar battery life, and the hefty price tag!)

I like the redesign, because the old PSPs just didn't fit my hands right. The analog nub was too far down and cramped my thumb. But if this is going to lack physical games and UMD media, I need a faster wireless connection. I don't want my whole home network to slow down to b-speeds when I've got a PSP connected--not to mention last I checked it didn't support WPA2 security. (not sure about WPA, or if this has been updated) I share too many files on my home network to be okay with an 80% speed reduction in my network.

I actually like this news. When I had a PSP, before it got stolen, three of my UMDs became unplayable because the cases that hold the discs would collapse so the PSP could not read them. Download only was a good decision.

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']I actually like this news. When I had a PSP, before it got stolen, three of my UMDs became unplayable because the cases that hold the discs would collapse so the PSP could not read them. Download only was a good decision.[/QUOTE]

replacement cases are pretty cheap

http://www.multimediarecovery.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=B83B6E70BDA84085AE6F56F4121AD933&nm=Test&type=EcomBB&mod=E%2DCommerce%3A%3AProduct+Catalog&mid=C4BAF2D29AF649DF978318202CBEDD02&tier=2&cat=Products&ntier1=Products

http://store.videogamecentral.com/psp-umd-replacement-repair-case-shell.html

UMD cases suck because even no matter how well you took care of them they would scratch or get beat up. I had one UMD I put in my PSP immediately after buying new with no scratches, and as soon as I pulled it out a few days later it was all scratched up...? and my PSP works just fine.

I think if they had put a touchscreen and 2nd analog stick on it they would've shut everyone up, even if they had charged a little more for it. Guess that'll be the PSP Go2, though.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']UMD cases suck because even no matter how well you took care of them they would scratch or get beat up. I had one UMD I put in my PSP immediately after buying new with no scratches, and as soon as I pulled it out a few days later it was all scratched up...? and my PSP works just fine.[/QUOTE]
That's strange because none of my umds have any scratches at all nor any signs of wear and tear. I do keep them in plastic protective cases though. I do agree however the the plastic casings are fragile.

bread's done
Back