Radioshack Trade 5 "electronic devices" get min 25$

stoned99

CAGiversary!
Feedback
128 (100%)
I've been watching this promotion for a day or two waiting to see what items qualified for trade

http://www.radioshack.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=24767316&utm_campaign=Bigger_Better_Event&utm_medium=RSCOM&utm_source=HMPG&utm_content=HMPGA1

Trade in 1 qualifying item, get $5 gift card
Trade in 2 qualifying items, get $10 gift card
Trade in 3 qualifying items, get a $15 gift card
Trade in 4 qualifying items, get a $20 gift card
Trade in 5 qualifying items, get a $25 gift card

RULES:
1) Item must be in working condition
2) Customer must present drivers license and store must participate in RadioShack trade and save program
3) Customer must process all applicable trades at one time. Customers cannot trade in one device at store A and then trade in three additional devices at store B.
4) Customers will receive credit off their purchase or a RadioShack gift card, whichever they device.
5) Customers cannot process over five items per drivers license(Not sure how we are tracking that?)

Folks on Fatwallet have been reporting trading all sorts of junk, the easiest being random old headsets. What just caught my eye is the fact it includes video games, so let the games begin.

Apparently not all RadioShacks are participating so make sure to use the store finder on this page

http://www.radioshacktradeandsave.com/online/home/index.rails?enc=MEQZVP0ui+5eEOTewsoVjAEajFfsb5NjSFklWIryrbEvHjnaPiuIIEFkh2t5fcFoGYvsiNNfovyUhX6I/DbcD2UKX1TN40wI1Cc5SErlro6rqVCOwaQ1fnz6JvvQxI3hecVZOQeuUtlziJrZgtL29gtrYkCv4Q2f7xCM6yK1g4Q=

pdf link of the promotion taken from what looks like screen shots of IE

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-rGI2xT8n_MVlERVBoS19yam8/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea wow just traded in madden 06, mlb 2k5, tenchu for Xbox and Spyro enter the dragonfly, beyond good and evil for ps2

What will they do with all this crap

Just reading back I would have paid some of you guys $5 a piece for some of his stuff. Beyond good and evil, a gba and a ds.
The $5 is on top of what Radio Shack would give you for the trade-ins, so whatever the base trade-in is for GBA or DS and an extra $5 (not sure on these).

Beyond Good & Evil is $3.95 on amazon.

Traded in Some PS2 games and a old Madden game. They would not accept a USB Microphone ( Rock band ) because they said they had no way to test it.  

In Ontario California.

The $5 is on top of what Radio Shack would give you for the trade-ins, so whatever the base trade-in is for GBA or DS and an extra $5 (not sure on these).

Beyond Good & Evil is $3.95 on amazon.
Ahhhh, I thought it was a flat $5 for whatever. That makes more sense. I may have to pick up beyond good and evil if its that price. I thought it was like a $10 game.

lol i traded in some old crap tiger electronic handheld game systems. do you guys remember those? oh man, the nostalgia.

I get the one RS that went by the rules 100%! Had to spend it immediately and couldn't be on a card of any kind. Oh well, still a free $25 worth of overpriced stuff. Helped clear some old crap out that cost me nothing in the process too.

If it were reasonably easy for an individual to do multiples of this trade in promo themselves, it would easily be one of the best trade in deals ever.   As foolish as they are for allowing such a vague and expansive list of "acceptable trade in items", the driver's license I.D. check was extremely smart on their end - I'm in the process of thinking of everyone I can get to take in and do a trade in (a cheap or even free PS4 or Xbox One, even at a cost of 16-20 separate trade ins, would be very nice and hell, there's always something to buy on amazon).  Has anyone attempted (successfully?) a trade in with a passport or any other form of I.D.?

Even if I ran out of "electronic items" i.e. junk to trade in, there's a Dollar Store, with plenty of $1 ear buds and $1 headphones, across the street from the nearest Radio Shack.  Relatively easily converting $5 -> $25 of amazon credit (or google play, itunes, PSN, Xbox Live etc.) is simply fantastic.  I just traded in 3 ancient, pre-BlueTooth, wired cellphone headsets and 2 ancient, wired modems for a $25 amazon kindle card.  

The clerk also said he wasn't sure if I could get a RadioShack gift card, so I showed him in their deals page where it said it could be applied to a store purchase OR for a RS giftcard, but then asked if I could just get a $25 kindle card and he said that would be fine. 

I had a sack of junk with me, and the only thing he wouldn't take was a pair of old junk computer mice, though I'm sure I can get away with it at another location. 

Has anyone attempted (successfully?) a trade in with a passport or any other form of I.D.?
I personally tried to see if they would take a passport or an old college ID, and they denied me. That could be YMMV as I'm not sure if the computer prompt specifies that a driver's license number be entered, or my store was just being a little more strict than others, I did not ask.

I get the one RS that went by the rules 100%! Had to spend it immediately and couldn't be on a card of any kind. Oh well, still a free $25 worth of overpriced stuff. Helped clear some old crap out that cost me nothing in the process too.
As long as you don't open whatever you bought, you should be able to return it for a RS credit/gift card (at a different location or different visit to the original location?), which you can hopefully then apply to whatever you really want.

As long as you don't open whatever you bought, you should be able to return it for a RS credit/gift card (at a different location?), which you can hopefully then apply to whatever you really want.
Good idea, will probably do that when I get my wife to go do a trade in. I ended up getting some stuff I actually needed anyway, so it wasn't a huge deal breaker for me. Thanks for that trick though, will definitely use it.

If it were reasonably easy for an individual to do multiples of this trade in promo themselves, it would easily be one of the best trade in deals ever. As foolish as they are for allowing such a vague and expansive list of "acceptable trade in items", the driver's license I.D. check was extremely smart on their end - I'm in the process of thinking of everyone I can get to take in and do a trade in (a cheap or even free PS4 or Xbox One, even at a cost of 16-20 separate trade ins, would be very nice and hell, there's always something to buy on amazon). Has anyone attempted (successfully?) a trade in with a passport or any other form of I.D.?

Even if I ran out of "electronic items" i.e. junk to trade in, there's a Dollar Store, with plenty of $1 ear buds and $1 headphones, across the street from the nearest Radio Shack. Relatively easily converting $5 -> $25 of amazon credit (or google play, itunes, PSN, Xbox Live etc.) is simply fantastic. I just traded in 3 ancient, pre-BlueTooth, wired cellphone headsets and 2 ancient, wired modems for a $25 amazon kindle card.

The clerk also said he wasn't sure if I could get a RadioShack gift card, so I showed him in their deals page where it said it could be applied to a store purchase OR for a RS giftcard, but then asked if I could just get a $25 kindle card and he said that would be fine.

I had a sack of junk with me, and the only thing he wouldn't take was a pair of old junk computer mice, though I'm sure I can get away with it at another location.
I'm going to try to go to a different location and use my student ID. I called a store and asked what if I don't have a state issued ID on me, would a student ID work? And they said yeah, as long as they have a way to tel its me, and that they have some sort of number to put into their system.

I'm going to try to go to a different location and use my student ID. I called a store and asked what if I don't have a state issued ID on me, would a student ID work? And they said yeah, as long as they have a way to tel its me, and that they have some sort of number to put into their system.
Keep us posted, thanks.

No worries, glad I could offer a useful tip.

BTW, in case anyone is looking for video game trade fodder for this, as previously noted, there are something like 200+ PS2 titles that will ring up for $.02 at Gamestop locations (only a few are listed at $.02 online - many, many more are $.02 in store) and that's before the 75% off clearance price is calculated so they should effectively be free.  Probably many more hundred PS2 titles that will come out to under $1.00 thanks to the 75% off clearance.  There are also numerous NFL/football games that are half off used right now and starting at $.50.

If you have a Gamestop near you that still has PS2 games, chances are they will have at least a few that are less than $1.00

Traded in five 2 cent PS2 games a couple hours ago.  Took no time at all and it was the store manager that did the transaction.  Picked up a 20 dollar PSN card and some batteries.  Heck of a deal.

I hate you guys who are trading in PS2 games.  Of course theres only one Radioshack in driving distance and they refuse to take them...I have to pick up some earbuds instead.

So I have 2 ID cards. One is my legit NC card and the other is my recently expired VA card. Since they are technically two different ID numbers would I be able to use both?

So I have 2 ID cards. One is my legit NC card and the other is my recently expired VA card. Since they are technically two different ID numbers would I be able to use both?
Hell yeah! I'm not sure the guy even scanned my DL or simply typed in the info off of it - the only thing he asked me for was a phone number. So if they ask, don't give them the same phone number on the second transaction!

I just got back from doing this trade-in. The guy who rang me up was young probably in college, looked to be around my age. I traded in Viewtful Joe (PS2) Dead Rising (360) Bob the Builder (PS1) Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GC) and Ratchet and Clank (PS2). The clerk didn't even bother to check the condition of the games, and Final Fantasy was beat to hell that's why I brought another game as backup. Just checked to see if the games were in there for the first two and didn't bother for the rest lol. I thought I'd hit trouble trying to get an amazon GC, but he just ended up giving me $25 cash lol!

$25 in cash? WTF, did he just pull out $25 from the till/register and hand it over? Damn, I should have asked for cash!
That's exactly what he did lol! I didn't even ask for cash or anything I was waiting for him to tell me that I can only use it for a purchase. I took the $25 and walked out with no questions lol!

Admit it. You played Jedi Mind Tricks on the poor lad.
Lol I wish I had those powers. The world may never know why he gave me cash lol! There was an older guy who seemed to be the manager and it seemed there was no problem with just handing me the cash. I had to sign my name on like 4 different copies stating I acknowledged the trade-in policy.

Might try to trade again with my student ID thanks for the tip guys. My girlfriend has a DL and a passport maybe both of thosw will work to will give it a try#

I just used my passport successfully. However, since I am in California the system was requiring 7 characters. Passports use more than that so he said it wasn't working but he just messed around with it and got it to work anyways. the kicker is that he actually gave me $25 in cash I think he was in a hurry since other customers were behind me.

Damn, if they start handing out cash for this promo they're just going to be speeding up their demise. Better get some trades done, posthaste!

So I went in today to turn my radioshack giftcard into an Amazon card and both the manager and cashier told me that I couldn't do it. Did you guys get your amazon cards in lieu of a RS giftcard right away or did I just happen upon a hardass employee?

I received my amazon kindle gift card directly in the trade in transaction - no radio shack gift card required, just applied the $25 trade in credit directly onto a kindle card purchase. But given what's now being reported ie the $25 cash being handed out, I dun got gypped too!

Passports work?!?! And student IDs?!?!?! DEAR GOD
What I'm saying is that the computer will technically take any ID # so long as the cashier enters it in. In CA, the system specifically stated a state ID which at least on my driver's license has 7 characters after the first letter of your last name. My passport has 9 numbers so the cashier noted that it wasn't working. I let him try to fiddle with it some more on his own and my guess is he deleted two of the numbers to get it within the limit. My point is that It seems like the system was coded to accept driver's licenses only but it's not going to verify them against the actual DMV database either.

The cash thing, I wasn't totally sure what happened. Based on everybody's responses, I was under the impression the system required a gift card to be scanned. The guy rushed through my trade. I never even signed anything. I wonder if he even completed it correctly. The cash payout may have just been a lucky haul for me but I'm not sure if the register allows for that option either while the promo requires an actual purchase to occur.

So I went in today to turn my radioshack giftcard into an Amazon card and both the manager and cashier told me that I couldn't do it. Did you guys get your amazon cards in lieu of a RS giftcard right away or did I just happen upon a hardass employee?
I went to another RS later that day and had no problem. Look at the back of the card and the only real restriction is that it can't be used to make a credit card payment. The uses listed on it say electronics and accessories - the way I see it, they sell Kindles and Kindles are electronics and the Kindle Cards are accessories. The BS line about not being able to buy gift cards with gift cards applies to store cards, and most retailers have that restriction.

I went to another RS later that day and had no problem. Look at the back of the card and the only real restriction is that it can't be used to make a credit card payment. The uses listed on it say electronics and accessories - the way I see it, they sell Kindles and Kindles are electronics and the Kindle Cards are accessories. The BS line about not being able to buy gift cards with gift cards applies to store cards, and most retailers have that restriction.
Thanks! I'll try a different store then and see what I can get. Appreciate the info!

Going to clean out a dollar tree store of 50 or so assorted headphones and ear buds, worst case I will just return any I can't get traded in.

EDIT: Dollar Tree store return policy is exchange only with receipt, so I will dial down the amount of headphones I purchase accordingly.

bread's done
Back