Ratchet & Clank Future: ACiT - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I also think I noticed Maurice LaMarche's voice in the space sequence, as it sounds like Quark is arguing with either Lrrr, Morbo, or the Horrible Gelatinous Blob.[/QUOTE]

Futurama AND Insomniac together? I just came. I don't think I heard him though. I was paying a lot of attention to the graphics though, not the voices.

[quote name='willardhaven']You scared me when you said QTE, they aren't actually putting them into the cut scenes are they?[/QUOTE]
No, they just have the controls to operate certain items on the item itself when you're near it.

That's cool, as long as there are not RE4 style QTE's... I hate cut scenes and I hate QTEs. I noticed what you pointed out, I really like those labels even though they're unnecessary (obviously you use the wrench on the screw).

I don't know if the demo is out (I don't own a PS3 yet), but I played the demo at the Sony store the other day. It's good and the hover boots are pretty fun (reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog in a good way). The gun controls are pretty good but I think they should use R2 for firing instead of R1.

[quote name='willardhaven']I don't know if the demo is out (I don't own a PS3 yet), but I played the demo at the Sony store the other day. It's good and the hover boots are pretty fun (reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog in a good way). The gun controls are pretty good but I think they should use R2 for firing instead of R1.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. Count me as someone who is glad R1 is used. I hate using my middle finger as the trigger finger. Since, invariably, I'd like to have a finger on R1 for whatever its function would be.

That's weird? ...So you folks only use two fingers for the four buttons and switch back and forth?

... I'm trying to picture that. Sounds like a lot more movement involved.

I hold my controller with only my ring and index fingers curled underneath, and the top gently held by the 'cup' of my palms.

I must be one of the weird ones that puts a finger on each button up top. I even do the same with my 360 controllers. I just like being able to press any of them at a moment's notice.

Anyway, I can't wait for this game. I'm very excited. I love these games.

From the new episode of the Full Moon Show:

There will be two demos. One with a Ratchet level and the other with a Clank level to save you some hard drive space when they come out a week or two before launch, though they don't have the details set in stone yet.

They're about done with the game, so it should be going gold soon.

They have short, 50's PSA-style animated clips for when you first buy/preview new weapons at a vender that tell you about the weapon. They should have a trailer showing a sneak peek at these clips soon.

Also, the Fragile EAgle was promoted to Product Manager, so he won't be able to be a regular on the podcast each week.

The demo I played had multiple Ratchet missions, it was on that orange planet w/ water. There were big red guys you had to kill and one or two other missions. I'm guessing this is the one they will offer online. The new graphical style is pretty smooth, like I said the speed boots made it feel almost like a Sonic game, but the combat is classic Ratchet.

This is #2 on my games to watch list this year after New Super Mario Wii.

Does this seem like a game that didn't get much PR? I mean Uncharted is everywhere but this title seems to have been "forgotten". The people who owned/played the previous title know but I don't think it was offered up as well as Uncharted 2... Might just be me though. :)

It seems like Insomniac's been left to do their own PR, who has pretty much just done the podcast and spread out love across a lot of sites with trailers and such over the past few weeks.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It seems like Insomniac's been left to do their own PR, who has pretty much just done the podcast and spread out love across a lot of sites with trailers and such over the past few weeks.[/QUOTE]

I just... Ratchet and Clank should be the Mario and Luigi of the PS brand if you ask me. Sony's rulers of all that is platforming (along side Sackboy now I guess :) ), who just happen to be able to cross different demographics.

I really would like to see how much was spent on promoting this and compare it to other games. Along with the different ways it was done, like the examples you gave FriskyT.

To me, seems like Sony helps hype up one or two games a year. I don't know if that is good or bad. But I think more could have been done with Ratchet and Clank to sell it to a wider audience... Guess time will tell if my "feeling" is wrong about this not exploding into the market like other titles despite the high quality.

Unfortunately, this along with Brutal Legend and Borderlands are all games that I really want to play this season but will not have time to play thanks to school.

Hopefully, I will be able to pick this up after school is over, as I really want to play it.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/19/game.ratchet.clank/index.html

Interesting CNN article about the series, and whether this is the last one.

I kind of agree with them. At this point, Insomniac has put out I believe over 6 Ratchet's since 2002, I think they should take a break from it for a while and work on something else. While Ratchet is fun and great, I would really like to see what they can do with a new IP. And then maybe in 4-5 years, come back to Ratchet with a whole new look on life and hopefully make it less stale. I just don't know what else they can do at this point.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Does this seem like a game that didn't get much PR? I mean Uncharted is everywhere but this title seems to have been "forgotten". The people who owned/played the previous title know but I don't think it was offered up as well as Uncharted 2... Might just be me though. :)[/QUOTE]

Naughty Dog is owned by Sony. IG is not.

You could argue that the same guy didn't review both games (I'm too lazy to check) or that because the envelope is constantly being pushed in terms of innovation something that was good two years ago, can't be held to the same standards today.

[quote name='enufs8d']Naughty Dog is owned by Sony. IG is not.[/QUOTE]

And? Little Big Planet was just an exlusive too but that got a lot more coverage... Now I am thinking it has more to do with Ratchet being "more of the same" (even if it is great). Where as Uncharted isn't as familiar, nor was LBP.

Zelda, Mario, Sonic were familiar too but if you look at their games they mixed up how they were presented over the years. And R&C has stayed more or less true to the first version.

"The next best thing" seems to trump a nice pedigree.

http://kotaku.com/5387776/older-ratchet-games-unlock-bonuses-in-new-one

Details on the unlocks you get from having saves from Quest for Booty and Tools of Destruction.

Edit: Also: http://kotaku.com/5387715/ratchet--clank-future-a-crack-in-time-review-the-leap-at-last

Totilo liked it a lot:

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time retains a lot of what was good about the previous games. But it also continues one of the best traditions of its developers — to compress past accomplishments, quickly give players a lot of the old stuff in the game's early going and then try new things. Earlier games' experiments with dialogue systems and multiplayer didn't thrill me. But, the new game's more dynamic physical movement (hooray for hoverboots), more interesting mission flow, amazing graphics and smart system of relatively easy main missions that branch off to more challenging moon challenges, are good innovations.

The Ratchet gameplay is improved. The Clank gameplay is a revelation. Two years ago, Ratchet & Clank Future showed how good Insomniac could make this series look on PS3. A year ago, Ratchet & Clank: A Quest For Booty showed that Insomniac was still prepared to innovate with gameplay. A Crack In time, the space case notwithstanding, finally shows the series leaping forward.

thought I'd let you guys know. Check your local targets a couple near me had this game out on the shelves back on tuesday so you may luck out.

I was impressed with the demo- but this won't be a day 1 purchase for me. I've enjoyed the other Ps3 games in this series- but all of them seem to be lacking polish- I can't really put my finger on it.

going to play it now. but im thinking i should download to the saves for future for the linked bonuses.

Anyone go to Insomniac's Community Day today? They had some neat raffle prizes and everyone who attended was given a free copy of the game.

There is a very awesome retro game they put in. The name of the game is AWESOME!!!

It's weird that plants give you bolts, as it messes with my collection OCD even more than the usual Ratchet games, where I try to break everything.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Anyone go to Insomniac's Community Day today? They had some neat raffle prizes and everyone who attended was given a free copy of the game.

There is a very awesome retro game they put in. The name of the game is AWESOME!!![/QUOTE]

Is it part of the regular game like the Qwark levels in Up Your Arsenal? I've been hoping for another batch of side scrolling levels.

[quote name='willardhaven']Is it part of the regular game like the Qwark levels in Up Your Arsenal? I've been hoping for another batch of side scrolling levels.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah let us know.
Those levels were fun! I was hoping they were going to release a PSP title like that.

bread's done
Back