RPG Thread IV is the worst in the series

Multiple save files, but generally only for going back and rewatching cutscenes; only my most recent save is the one that counts. Like dr_illingsworth, I also tend to hold onto New Game + saves separately. Really handy if I get distracted by something else for a week or two and lose track of the plot, or the plot gets really convoluted and I want to go and double-check a line of dialogue.

The one exception would be FFVII PC, for when I was running an FFVII fansite and needed to have plenty of reference material handy. I also made a Debug Room save file, but it rarely got used - it's much faster to find scenes via regular saves rather than poking around in there, and there's easier ways to tweak the game, too (if one wants to, that is :p).

Depends on the game. Most games I only keep one save file, while games like Suikoden where early decisions can effect later outcomes I'll have multiple to save my butt.

well, Vesperia certainly got a bit harder after the Coliseum. I think I'm getting bored of the game though. 30 hours in and I'm just coming up to the halfway point. and the story makes very little sense to me. So much fantasy mumbo jumbo...blastia, aer, etc. I'm sure they explained it at the beginning of the game, but I don't care enough to go back and find out what it is.

I tend to go overboard with save files. I usually rotate, so if a game allows 10 files, I have 10, and save over the oldest one. I'm always paranoid I'll want to go back and get something I missed. Only actually loaded an old save once, when I found out NOT to open a chest in FFXII. I don't hold on to em after I beat the game though, unless there's a NG+.

I think I have something like 100 saves in Oblivion on PC... and I've only done like 5 actual quests...

[quote name='Zmonkay']I tend to go overboard with save files...[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way except that I don't use all the slots; I usually limit every game to like 3-4 save files that I rotate... with that said though I can't remember a time where I actually really needed to use one of my old saves, but I guess I do it just in case.

I also tend to save compulsively, I think it was after playing to the end of SMT: Nocturne that I started really saving all the time. Basically anytime I can save for any reason I usually do. I think Nocturne ingrained this constant fear of being annihilated instantly and having to redo a ton which I think only happened twice to me, one of which was not savable (since I got one-shoted leaving the Kalpa dungeon); but ya I save LOTS when I play games.

On that note I also don't like how some of the more recent games have auto-save only (i.e. no manual save)... (Borderlands is a recent RPG that leaps to mind), mainly because sometimes they don't really do a good job of alerting you that your saving and in some of them you can't tell the game to save so you basically just boot the game up and see where it last saved the game.

I generally have three different save files.
One at the last save point or before the final battle.
Another near the end where I can just mess around with
And a third for new game+/new cylces or whatever.

Occasionally, I do have some save files where there are story branches or before a boss fight and or cutscene I really liked.

So does anyone else use an off-site data backup service for their game saves? I use Mozy to back up my 360 and PS3 data. I need to get the device that allows me to copy PS2 saves to the PS3 so I can back those up too.

[quote name='icebeast']I also tend to save compulsively, I think it was after playing to the end of SMT: Nocturne that I started really saving all the time. Basically anytime I can save for any reason I usually do.[/QUOTE]
lol, reminds me, I had ~300 saves on one playthrough of Mass Effect 2...

[quote name='icebeast']On that note I also don't like how some of the more recent games have auto-save only (i.e. no manual save)... (Borderlands is a recent RPG that leaps to mind), mainly because sometimes they don't really do a good job of alerting you that your saving and in some of them you can't tell the game to save so you basically just boot the game up and see where it last saved the game.[/QUOTE]
Only auto-saving in Demon's Souls freaked me out at first, mainly because of my OCD of save control, but it was so integrated into the overall feel of the game I didn't mind it.

[quote name='ninja dog']well, Vesperia certainly got a bit harder after the Coliseum. I think I'm getting bored of the game though. 30 hours in and I'm just coming up to the halfway point. and the story makes very little sense to me. So much fantasy mumbo jumbo...blastia, aer, etc. I'm sure they explained it at the beginning of the game, but I don't care enough to go back and find out what it is.[/QUOTE]

I'm about 40 hours in and I was feeling the same way, but the story starting picking up again as you learn some more about your party.

Also, doesn't the in game synopsis do a good job of catching you up on some of the plot threads?

If given the option, I always put certain saves in the same slot all the time. Like, my main play data will almost always be in Slot #3. In Slot #1 I'll keep a single quick-save, and in Slot #2 I'll put an important save (like just after a boss). I like to put NewGame+ saves in Slot #5.

The last game I had more than 5 saves for was Persona 4. I just erased some of those saves the other day, but I had close to 20 files for some reason. I had a few less for Persona 3, but almost all my other PS2 RPG save data was limited to 1-3 files.

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']So does anyone else use an off-site data backup service for their game saves? I use Mozy to back up my 360 and PS3 data. I need to get the device that allows me to copy PS2 saves to the PS3 so I can back those up too.[/QUOTE]

I've been meaning to look into an off-site backup for all my info storing, but still haven't gotten around to it.

[quote name='Zmonkay']lol, reminds me, I had ~300 saves on one playthrough of Mass Effect 2...[/QUOTE]
I thought I was bad, I hit the PS3's save limit at 130 when playing Oblivion.

[quote name='pete5883']I thought I was bad, I hit the PS3's save limit at 130 when playing Oblivion.[/QUOTE]

lol, yeah. There's like 20 or so save slots (I think?) but every time you save, it racks the total up one... and I save compulsively to say the least, hehe.

Even then, I don't think I could keep them all straight. I can tell you different things that happen generally during a game but I couldn't tell you what was going on the exact moment I was at level 17 even with a little screen shot.

It's not like I needed to go back to many of them, but with how buggy Oblivion is, I never knew how far I'd need to go back. Also, there was one murder-mystery quest that I wanted to go back and do differently someday, but I've never gotten back to it.

[quote name='depascal22']How do you even keep 130 different saves apart? Do you have a notebook that you notate time and circumstances for every file?[/QUOTE]

lol, with Oblivion, I was just too lazy to select a save file, as it defaulted to new save.

Now, when I played Baldurs Gate II, I had a shit ton of saves, and they let you name the save, so I had crazy full on descriptions for each, haha. I could probably go back now and have a general idea of each save.

Heh. Reminds me of save-scumming hard fights in X-Com.

Of course, if I'd quit the game for a while then come back, I'd generally have no fucking idea which save to pick up. My save names needed work...

I started Rune Factory Frontier yesterday. I'm already addicted, but it's a Rune Factory game, so no surprise there. Just wish there weren't so many damned loading screens.

Getting all the basic tools takes longer than in the DS Rune Factories. Took me forever to figure out how to get the Cheap Hammer, which was the last major tool I was missing, and also one that I really needed. Got it now, though, so I'm all set.

Finished a Dark Cloud save I found at the very end of my memory card save list. Good timing since I just picked up DC2. Good opening, except for the creepy clowns!

[quote name='The Crotch']Heh. Reminds me of save-scumming hard fights in X-Com.[/QUOTE]
a hard fight in x-com?
isn't that every fight?

Yes, but there's "God damn, those guys are really accurate at night." and then there's "This is my second fight, I don't even have laser pistols, and there are three cyberdisks parked outside my skyranger."

And then there's mind control spam. fuck those guys.

[quote name='The Crotch']Yes, but there's "God damn, those guys are really accurate at night." and then there's "This is my second fight, I don't even have laser pistols, and there are three cyberdisks parked outside my skyranger."

And then there's mind control spam. fuck those guys.[/QUOTE]
Oh man, screw that mind control.
It's especially stupid when they mind control the guy with the rockets and then he blows 12 people up. On the first turn.

[quote name='momouchi']Finished a Dark Cloud save I found at the very end of my memory card save list. Good timing since I just picked up DC2. Good opening, except for the creepy clowns![/QUOTE]

ooo, enjoy man! love that game. keep meaning to do a replay, but I don't know if I could grind that much a second time through. I do wanna play more of the mini golf though...

So far, I've made it through the first dungeon to the outside world. I love the photography so far, although it almost got me killed against the boss.

[quote name='willardhaven']I couldn't stand the length of the dungeons in that game, but the game itself was decent.[/QUOTE]

Did you also hate Persona 3 and 4's dungeon length then?

Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy had interminably long dungeons. For some reason in DC2 they were smart enough to break them up into little pieces so you were constantly rewarded, but then did away with this in RG so they could say "no loading times" on the box. So stupid.

[quote name='pete5883']Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy had interminably long dungeons. For some reason in DC2 they were smart enough to break them up into little pieces so you were constantly rewarded, but then did away with this in RG so they could say "no loading times" on the box. So stupid.[/QUOTE]

Both of those games have the most addicting sidequests. DC2 is photography, medals, and fishing. And RG was that damnable monster hunting quest book and boss fights.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Did you also hate Persona 3 and 4's dungeon length then?[/QUOTE]

I think Persona 3 has markedly better gameplay than DC 2. The dungeons also move a hell of a lot faster than in DC 2. Granted both games feature randomly generated levels, I think that DC 2's are much more boring.

Damn. I'm so tempted to crack open my sealed copy of Rogue Galaxy right now.

This is what I have left on my PS2 RPG backlog for the moment:

Kingdom Hearts II
Rogue Galaxy
Persona 3 FES -- probably going to get the PSP version
Persona 4
Shadow Hearts
Tales of the Abyss

I'm torn between P4 and Shadow Hearts. Also, ToA is still sealed so I'm hoping to get that big sale on half.com anyday. Any suggestions?

Is it worth paying $50 for a used copy of ToA? I wanted to play it but that's pretty expensive for a PS2 game...

[quote name='depascal22']Kingdom Hearts II
Rogue Galaxy
Persona 3 FES -- probably going to get the PSP version
Persona 4
Shadow Hearts
Tales of the Abyss

I'm torn between P4 and Shadow Hearts. Also, ToA is still sealed so I'm hoping to get that big sale on half.com anyday. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]
Aside from KH2 (already played it) and Shadow Hearts, I have to play all of those as well. Promised myself that Rogue Galaxy, Persona 3 FES, and ToA are all going to get played this year at some point.

What's been in your backlog the longest? Might make sense to start with that.

[quote name='kainzero']Is it worth paying $50 for a used copy of ToA? I wanted to play it but that's pretty expensive for a PS2 game...[/QUOTE]

Have you checked your GS? It's like $28 used.

[quote name='kainzero']Is it worth paying $50 for a used copy of ToA? I wanted to play it but that's pretty expensive for a PS2 game...[/QUOTE]

Damn, I didn't realize it was that much; I thought it was around $30. I got really lucky, a friend found my copy for $20 new at Walmart about 6 months ago.

Would you pay $50 to play Vesperia? The more I think about, Abyss is better than Vesperia.

Just finished Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Crystal Bearers, and was pleasantly surprised. Reviews were generally poor, but I figured I'd give it a shot, and hella glad I did. It's NOT a JRPG, more Zelda-RPG (ie, not really an RPG...) but was damned fun. Loved the (generally) clever use of wiimote during cutscenes. The fighting was cool too, what with all the enemy reactions and interactions to discover, just wish it controlled better and had some sort of lock on.

Overall B+ to A- imho. Now to finish up Paper Mario Thousand Year Door...

For ToA, I strongly suggest that if you already have a real copy, go download the undub version which feature original japan voice and even FULLY voiced skit.

$50 for ToA is a little too much. I wouldn't go higher than $40 and even that's pushing it. I picked mine up for $18 missing the manual. Still haven't beat this one yet.

Jekki - I know you're a big Y's fan. I have Ark of Napishtim on it's way. I know the states haven't gotten all the games in the series so I was wondering if there's any gaps in the story from Y's III to this one? Also hows the music? That was always one of my favorite things about the series.

I never played napishtim but that game is ys 6.

But all the ys games are single stories with all new characters and enemies, I don't think anything ever carries over

[quote name='Rodimus']$50 for ToA is a little too much. I wouldn't go higher than $40 and even that's pushing it. I picked mine up for $18 missing the manual. Still haven't beat this one yet.

Jekki - I know you're a big Y's fan. I have Ark of Napishtim on it's way. I know the states haven't gotten all the games in the series so I was wondering if there's any gaps in the story from Y's III to this one? Also hows the music? That was always one of my favorite things about the series.[/QUOTE]
I loved the music in Napishtim.

[quote name='JEKKI']I never played napishtim but that game is ys 6.

But all the ys games are single stories with all new characters and enemies, I don't think anything ever carries over[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, I figured since the main character is always Adol (I could be wrong) the story is implied to continue, but he just goes on a completly diffrent adventure each time. I remember at the begining of Y's III he's traveling with Dogi who I'm pretty sure was in I & II.

So we missed Y's IV & V. Any idea what they came out for?

Good to hear the music won't disappoint. I really liked some of the stuff from Y's I & II.

I went straight from Ys II to Ys VI; there were references to some of the backstory that I had missed in the meantime, but it wasn't enough to keep me from enjoying the game.

Before starting Ys VI, I did try and seek out the ones in between, but gave up once I learned that the fan translation for Ys V was never completed.

[quote name='Rodimus']So we missed Y's IV & V. Any idea what they came out for?[/QUOTE]
First off, there's no apostrophe in Ys :p

Also, here's the version history
Ys IV (first version - Dawn of Ys) - PC Engine Super CD
Ys IV (second version - Mask of the Sun) - Super Famicom, later remade for PS2
Ys V - Super Famicom, later remade for PS2

And agreeing with the others in that the music in Ys VI is damn good.

Just saw that Grandia 1 for the PS1 is now downloadable from PSN for $9.99 (not sure if that is new). I missed that one so I am wondering if it is worth a playthrough? Is it a strategy, action or turn based RPG? How are the cut scenes/story handled? I am pretty starved for a traditional jrpg at the moment so I am very tempted to download this one, I wouldn't even be asking if it was only $4.99 or $5.99.

bread's done
Back