Sega Saturn Slim DVD Cover Project [98 Covers and Growing / 56K beware!]

I found black ones at WalMart in a 10pk for $5. Also Best Buy has a 25pk of clear ones for $15, which isn't too bad. About the same as the one Mookyjooky linked to on Amazon in the original post (although that's a better deal if you order enough to get free shipping; BTW, note that the cheaper ones in the marketplace seem to have very high shipping rates).

[quote name='ashram']sounds good to me.... so, do we still do the assigned covers, or just go mad??[/quote]

Just go mad, make duplicates whatever. Make a million covers. :D

I'm working on a CD cover template right now. Then we can make those too.

Decided to have people email the "12 (Highest Quality) .jpg" to me, instead of posting the .psd on a file hosting site, since the .psds can get up to 50-60MBs in size quickly.

Changed the instructions above.

Mookyjooky was using the covers themselves as the template for the new ones, but he of course has the original .psds to work with. I suggested creating a blank .psd template to him, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I'm working on piecing one together from the jpegs to use in the meantime.

If you have the patience, you could copy/paste elements of one of the jpegs to use as a template, but i'd understand if you don't. Either way, don't worry; we'll have something worked out soon!

Please bear with us on things like this until we've really gotten rolling. The whole process for this project was changed very suddenly, so there will be a few bugs to work out. Also, while i'm helping to run this thing, it is still Mookyjooky's baby, so any "official" templates or threads or websites or whatever should still be approved by him. I'm just helping to keep things moving along as he's a pretty busy dude.

Speaking of websites, i'm going to have an official site for the project up very soon. I'll post the link here when it's finished. I'm hoping to have an FTP account set up for uploading covers as well.

Been up all damn night, but it's been worth it.

I finished a cover for Lunar: Silver Star Story, threw together a temporary .psd template, and got the website uploaded and ready to go. At the moment it's pretty much just a repository for collected info from this thread, but if you're looking for a template before Mookyjooky gets one posted, you can use the one i have up here. I do not know which font he used for the spine; that's another of those pesky details we overlooked.

http://www.saurianunderground.com/saturn

Please, please, please, use ANY browser that is NOT IE! I'd hate for you all to think that my page looks awful because you're using a browser that doesn't understand CSS properly. I don't know if version 7 is any better, but anything before that definitely is not rendering the page right. Until i find a way to fix it, please use Firefox, Opera, K-meleon, or even Konqueror. They all render it perfectly, and others probably will as well. If you're stuck with IE for whatever reason, then i'm sorry (that you're stuck with it, and for the page looking like crap).

lol, about the template... I simply posted the wrong link. I've got the link fixed. Sorry. I've been using a real teamplate... and you can use what I use. In the first post. Jeez, I knew I was gonna get something wrong... =(

All set.

I started playing around with my first cover with this project. I did have a question? What font should I use on the spine?
For the front, I took the Japanese front cover and stretched it to fit the front of mine. I'm not sure how much I like the look of that. If I could get my front scans to come out a little better, I'd try that. The back is from one of my scans. The back scan turned out a little better than the front scans. What do you think?

so i'm confused, how does a contest result in a collection of high quality standardized covers?

do poor quality submissions qualify for the contest? can someone submit 150 subpar covers and win the prize when people obviously put more care/time/effort into a smaller number of covers?

is anyone actually still getting any copies of some scans to work with?

i think the previous approach would do a better job of accomplishing the goals previously set. it may not happen as fast, but your making a huge sacrifice in quality control for speed.

this was an excellent idea to begin with, i'd hate to see it fail.

i will still contribute, as much as i can. however without access to high quality scans, the number will be much smaller.

if it's not worth doing right, it's not worth doing...

rolly poly, i totally understand your perspective. The fact of the matter is, as Mookyjooky said, we'd never get the ball rolling if we had to wait on him for the scans. To take this approach is simply to get things moving along. As the project progresses, we will be able to weed out and/or replace anything too substandard.

We do not plan on compromising quality for speed 100%. But everyone involved is anxious to get started. If quality scans are already available elsewhere on the Internet, we might as well start there.

As far as the contest goes, Mookyjooky did mention that he will have the final say on who the prize goes to, taking quality into account, so there's no point in pumping out horrible covers just to try and qualify. Let me make that perfectly clear to everyone: Poor quality covers will not be counted toward your total and therefore will not qualify you for any prizes. This is not an automated "upload for points" game like cdcovers.cc. Mookyjooky and i are judging and counting each cover personally.

If you are having a hard time finding or creating quality scans for your cover, let me or Mookyjooky know and we will help you out. There is still access to the covers as there was in the previous plan, we're just not requiring everyone to wait for them.

I hope this answers your questions, and i do hope you'll contribute to the cause. It is still our goal to compile a high-quality collection, and your feelings about quality illustrate exactly the kind of attitude we need in this project.

[quote name='erehwon']I started playing around with my first cover with this project. I did have a question? What font should I use on the spine?
For the front, I took the Japanese front cover and stretched it to fit the front of mine. I'm not sure how much I like the look of that. If I could get my front scans to come out a little better, I'd try that. The back is from one of my scans. The back scan turned out a little better than the front scans. What do you think?
[/quote]
I think it looks pretty good, man. Make sure when you e-mail one of us the final jpeg that it's at its original resolution of 3150x2175@300dpi and saved at maximum quality. I don't want to pass a final judgement on these first few covers since we don't have the absolute best scans to work with, but i think there's enough out there to do the trick for now, and i'd say that yours passes. I definitely like the use of the JAP cover and US back; i think that's a theme that will come up a lot in this project, combining the English blurbs on the back with the often superior artwork of the JAP versions.

As for the font, i've asked Mookyjooky myself and haven't heard back from him yet. He said he'd fixed the link to the original template but it doesn't seem that way, so we'll just have to wait a bit. Things should start running smoother once we have all the tools and materials sorted out.

cool, and i have time for 1 a day, 5 days a week (got the good scanner at work) so i should get my saturn collection out by the deadline.

also, is there a suggested dpi?

Preferred format for the jpegs is 3150x2175@300dpi. When we have the "official" template available, it will be in the proper dimensions (as is the temporary one which is available on my website), so just save your finished cover as a jpeg at maximum quality.

[quote name='erehwon']I started playing around with my first cover with this project. I did have a question? What font should I use on the spine?

[/quote]

That looks great man! When you convert it to the template, the spine font is already selected, but its IMPACT. Also, the front cover image bleeds over on to the spine. You'll see in the template. =)

Thanks everyone for you support, and sorry for the stalling start! But it seems enough are excited to get this project booming once the template is working. Test it and let me know if you have any issues. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

[quote name='rolly poly']so i'm confused, how does a contest result in a collection of high quality standardized covers?

do poor quality submissions qualify for the contest? can someone submit 150 subpar covers and win the prize when people obviously put more care/time/effort into a smaller number of covers?

is anyone actually still getting any copies of some scans to work with?

i think the previous approach would do a better job of accomplishing the goals previously set. it may not happen as fast, but your making a huge sacrifice in quality control for speed.

this was an excellent idea to begin with, i'd hate to see it fail.

i will still contribute, as much as i can. however without access to high quality scans, the number will be much smaller.

if it's not worth doing right, it's not worth doing...[/quote]

Quality, not Quantity. Even if you dont have High class snazzy scans, someone does whos not making that cover... ask around. SOMEONE will help you.

If someone makes 150 unprintable covers, then you make 30 High class original, High res covers... you'll win. I think we should have a variation of the original cover, but I'd like to see you guys go crazy and make custom ones too. I think all of my NiGHTS covers are that way.

i'm not worried about the prize personally if i did win i'd donate it to saurian for his help on this, my reward is the completion of the goals. i already have 2 saturns. :D

i appreciate both replies. i just kinda got scared we'd end up with a bunch of bootleg looking covers, all pixelated and skewed.

i have to order a new ac adapter for my scanner, mine seems to of gone missing. however i should have my first cover up within a week.

[edit]
oh yeah i'm still having trouble finding the template, the link just goes to finished covers.

[quote name='rolly poly']i'm not worried about the prize personally if i did win i'd donate it to saurian for his help on this, my reward is the completion of the goals. i already have 2 saturns. :D

i appreciate both replies. i just kinda got scared we'd end up with a bunch of bootleg looking covers, all pixelated and skewed.

i have to order a new ac adapter for my scanner, mine seems to of gone missing. however i should have my first cover up within a week.

[edit]
oh yeah i'm still having trouble finding the template, the link just goes to finished covers.[/quote]

So when you copy/paste it in the browser... you still cant find it? thats what the instructions say to do. I cant click on the link, but I can copy/paste it fine. Let me just put it somewhere else. Grrr.. I hate this file hosting site! =)

I'm in. The Saturn is one of the only system's I can see the thinpak approach working. I have Photoshop SE 5, I think that'll be sufficient. As soon as I get some free time (most likely tommorow), I'll get to work. Great idea, mooky.

A fantastic adjunct to this project would be a project to scan the game manuals and resize them to fit inside the thin paks.

Are you determined to use the Jap Saturn logo as the header, or are you open to accepting the US white or Euro black logo as a header?

[quote name='Gentlegamer']A fantastic adjunct to this project would be a project to scan the game manuals and resize them to fit inside the thin paks.

Are you determined to use the Jap Saturn logo as the header, or are you open to accepting the US white or Euro black logo as a header?[/quote]

This project is about resizing the images, and scanning them if we need to (Mookyjooky has a large collection of original covers and a good scanner). Many of the downloaded images need to be scaled up, in fact, since our template is high-res. But i was thinking about trying to organize some people to do scans, especially anyone who has a large number of imports; there are so many JAP games, and i doubt it will be easy to find good scans for all of them. Anyone who has access to hard-to-find covers is welcome to upload scans somewhere and post links here.

As for the title bar, Mookyjooky would have the final say on that. But i think i speak for him as well as myself when i say this: the template must not be modified. Probably the most particular goal of this project is to keep the covers standardized, and the logo is a huge part of that, not just the case size. If he was thinking what i think he was thinking when he thought up the template (other than the fact that the JAP logo looks much better), it would be that the Japanese games are in the majority, and it would make more sense to convert (the concept; obviously the layout is changing either way) the very few covers of games not available in Japan.

I'll let Mookyjooky comment on this too, though. Perhaps something could be arranged in the future where we can offer a separate collection of US covers for those who wish it. Personally, i never did care for the US/EUR logo, but i suppose some people might be attached to it. But at least for now, i'd say we should stick to using the template as-is.

[quote name='SaurianOverlord']This project is about resizing the images, and scanning them if we need to (Mookyjooky has a large collection of original covers and a good scanner). Many of the downloaded images need to be scaled up, in fact, since our template is high-res. But i was thinking about trying to organize some people to do scans, especially anyone who has a large number of imports; there are so many JAP games, and i doubt it will be easy to find good scans for all of them. Anyone who has access to hard-to-find covers is welcome to upload scans somewhere and post links here.

As for the title bar, Mookyjooky would have the final say on that. But i think i speak for him as well as myself when i say this: the template must not be modified. Probably the most particular goal of this project is to keep the covers standardized, and the logo is a huge part of that, not just the case size. If he was thinking what i think he was thinking when he thought up the template (other than the fact that the JAP logo looks much better), it would be that the Japanese games are in the majority, and it would make more sense to convert (the concept; obviously the layout is changing either way) the very few covers of games not available in Japan.

I'll let Mookyjooky comment on this too, though. Perhaps something could be arranged in the future where we can offer a separate collection of US covers for those who wish it. Personally, i never did care for the US/EUR logo, but i suppose some people might be attached to it. But at least for now, i'd say we should stick to using the template as-is.[/quote]

I think this is right on, but I'll tell you what... stick with this for a bit... and if there is a huge following for the US and Euro titlebars... I'll create some, and create a photoshop action to automatically convert and make copies of all of the covers into other formats... otherwise, I selected Jpn covers for the reasons SaurianOverlord said, theres more Jpn Saturn games, it looks better, and it really sets them apart from the rest. Let me tell you, I hate gold.. but I really wanted these to really look and feel like saturn covers and in all honesty Sega's US cover design was horrid and Euro's looked a little generic. But Japan's were original looking, and they fit... and so far, I think at least, they look great. I mean, were not reselling these to different regions or anything, so I assumed that I could redesign and incorperate the feel of the covers from the Saturn's motherland. =)

We'll cross these roads when we get there, but so far, the only covers we have are mine, and this project is still in its infancy.

Yes, the downloaded template works fine.
However, I'm a bit confused; are we not supposed to get a dvd with raw scans? How come this template has to be downloaded, instead of putting it on the dvd??

[quote name='Fandenivoldsk']Yes, the downloaded template works fine.
However, I'm a bit confused; are we not supposed to get a dvd with raw scans? How come this template has to be downloaded, instead of putting it on the dvd??[/quote]

When we ended up only having 8 people interested in the end, I felt it was too much of a pain in the ass to start up the project. Plus I didnt factor in shipping software through customs overseas. So I decided to "Give it back to the people" and make it readily accessible. If you need anything, please.. let me or SaurianOverlord know... but I just wanted everyone to come in, and have all they need to get ready.

If I didn't suck so bad at photoshop I could navigate this template. However, it isn't blank! Has a picture of Virtual On and more. I was hoping it would be blank.

[quote name='xorthen']If I didn't suck so bad at photoshop I could navigate this template. However, it isn't blank! Has a picture of Virtual On and more. I was hoping it would be blank.[/quote]

=), I'll explain more later, when I get home in front of PS... but there should be a menu on the right hand side, you should be able to remove the layers from there... I left the Virtual On in there, so you could see the layer layout, but you can remove them. I've even listed the layer folders "Put all Front Cover images in here" and whatnot... Send me a PM of your AIM screen name and I'll help you navigate a bit if you like.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I think this is right on, but I'll tell you what... stick with this for a bit... and if there is a huge following for the US and Euro titlebars... I'll create some, and create a photoshop action to automatically convert and make copies of all of the covers into other formats... otherwise, I selected Jpn covers for the reasons SaurianOverlord said, theres more Jpn Saturn games, it looks better, and it really sets them apart from the rest. Let me tell you, I hate gold.. but I really wanted these to really look and feel like saturn covers and in all honesty Sega's US cover design was horrid and Euro's looked a little generic. But Japan's were original looking, and they fit... and so far, I think at least, they look great. I mean, were not reselling these to different regions or anything, so I assumed that I could redesign and incorperate the feel of the covers from the Saturn's motherland. =)

We'll cross these roads when we get there, but so far, the only covers we have are mine, and this project is still in its infancy.[/quote]Making the US/Euro logo available later would be great! As you can tell, I actually prefer it. I agree about Jap covers (for all systems) pretty much looking better (better art, etc.). I just like the US/Euro logo (black Euro logo especially).

I wish I could help out, but I've just started playing Saturn games and my only complete game is Astal, which has already been done. :)

[quote name='Mookyjooky']That looks great man! When you convert it to the template, the spine font is already selected, but its IMPACT. Also, the front cover image bleeds over on to the spine. You'll see in the template. =)

Thanks everyone for you support, and sorry for the stalling start! But it seems enough are excited to get this project booming once the template is working. Test it and let me know if you have any issues. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE![/QUOTE]

One thing I should say is that I'm using the gimp instead of photoshop. On the side name text, do you know how to edit the text? I don't want to delete it, just change.
Unfortunately, when I saved my cover, I saved it as a jpeg. I'll redo it on your template and try to remember to save it as a psd file and a jpeg only when I'm finished.

[quote name='erehwon']One thing I should say is that I'm using the gimp instead of photoshop. On the side name text, do you know how to edit the text? I don't want to delete it, just change.
Unfortunately, when I saved my cover, I saved it as a jpeg. I'll redo it on your template and try to remember to save it as a psd file and a jpeg only when I'm finished.[/quote]
Short answer: I don't know.

Long answer: Text editing is actually new to Gimp 2.0, in a sense. In previous versions you could add text, but once rendered, it couldn't be changed. You could use the "Dynamic Text Editing Tool" (or something to that effect) for this purpose, but it wasn't a stable plugin. The 2.0 release saw a new version of the tool that acts more like Photoshop's text tool (which can change the text at any time until the layer is rasterized).

However, running Gimp on my linux machine, i'm seeing what the cause of your problem is, just not the solution. I've imported the .psd (the template) and everything looks pretty groovy. Problem is, the "SIDE Name" layer of the template is not identified as a text layer. My assumption is that the Gimp did not import the .psd properly, which is going to make things pretty difficult for a Gimp user.

My advice to you (and anyone else using the Gimp):

If you're using linux, my best suggestion is to create a new text layer (Impact 14.98pt), and i hope you've had better luck than i installing truetype fonts in linux. You'll have to rotate the text every time you change it (making changes to the text itself will undo other changes you made to it, like rotating), but that's manageable.

If you're using Windows, you can try that method, but i strongly suggest you get a copy of Photoshop from somewhere (you can download a trial version at Adobe's website if you need to; they're not clear on the limitations, if any, other than the 30-day time limit). The Gimp is a good PS substitute for both Windows and linux users, and it's a great program in its own rite, but it's just no replacement, especially in a situation such as this when you're using a PS-created template.

EDIT: I've also heard of linux users achieving limited success running Photoshop under wine.

Added covers from SAURIANOVERLORD:

Lunar - Silver Star Story:
1copylg2.gif

Mobile Suit Gundam:
2copyjc3.gif

Saturn Bomberman:
3copyim2.gif

And different region concept covers, that I did during lunch at work. I'll create a photoshop action, and convert them as they come in for people who want to change it up. But the First post will only be updated with matching Jpn covers. =) [jpegs so you can actually see the new title bars.]

usid8.jpg

eurowu4.jpg

one thing i noticed...some games have the japanese front cover, but US rears.... normally this isn't an issue, but if the japanese cover has a rating, and you're using it for the english verion of the game, then should you use the US rating? it would only take like 3 seconds to implement....

also, i like the US region template.... that would help when you have all your games lined up together....

I personally think that the ratings are an eyesore.. but if you want to, go for it. =)

I think during the saturn, only some of them have ratings, and even that... the rating system has changed.

[quote name='ashram']one thing i noticed...some games have the japanese front cover, but US rears.... normally this isn't an issue, but if the japanese cover has a rating, and you're using it for the english verion of the game, then should you use the US rating? it would only take like 3 seconds to implement....
[/quote]

I don't know that it would be worth bothering anyway; CERO and ESRB have both changed their rating systems drastically since Saturn's day, so the old ratings and logos aren't particularly relevant. But, i'd say it would be your choice.

The way i see it is if the game has a US version, the US back is preferable (to me) as it would be in English, and my Japanese isn't so good (and i can't read it worth a damn). The front choice is a matter of which has the better cover art.

I personally like the way the Japanese rating icon follows the theme (with the JAP style title bar), so i've used it on all of my covers so far. But i could stop using it if people prefer. I think it's partly that i've become accustomed to game (and everything else) covers being cluttered with titles and logos and stickers that it looks bare without them. A cover could look good without any of them at all, of course, and probably should be encouraged. But again, that's up all up to you.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']
And different region concept covers, that I did during lunch at work. I'll create a photoshop action, and convert them as they come in for people who want to change it up. But the First post will only be updated with matching Jpn covers. =) [jpegs so you can actually see the new title bars.]

usid8.jpg

eurowu4.jpg
[/quote]Awesome! Thanks!

bread's done
Back