Sega Saturn Slim DVD Cover Project [98 Covers and Growing / 56K beware!]

I have about 40 US games, and 5 jap ones, but no access to a quality scanner. does kinko's do scanning? is it cheap? if anyone goes to purdue university here in west lafayette indiana, do you know if i can use a scanner there even if i'mnot a student? hm..

dang it my creative side wants to get in on this so bad. I may have to delete some of the 4GB of roms I have to make room for photoshop.

d'oh!

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Well, think the main issue, is that if you created a project that was extremely anal retentive and made people recreate their favorite game covers with a completely different layout, or a fully standardized layout scheme with 50+ layers or so... you'd have only 5 people contributing to the project with an output of 2 a year a peice.

Trust me, I would love to customly design this project all the way down to the smallest point, but you have to factor in that 75% of the people looking at this thread dont know about photoshop as much as I do. So I wanted to create a contest non-designers can get in on.

And honestly, I'll have to say... theres been about 5-10 graphic designers out there telling me they'd love to get in on this project, but the only people submitting are just the average joes who just want to get in on making stuff and learning photoshop. I'm an ex-graphic designer myself, and I can make a cover in less than 20 mins, and when I'm feeling crazy and I'm just copying the format and transporting it to our standard format, I can create a photoshop action and create 10-20 in a matter of 30 mins. So you'd figure that it'd be easier for the graphic designers.

This project is designed so you can be that change you so desire... if you want to work with special back layouts and be totally anal retentive of the design... I completely support that... as long as you stick with the small original layout we have going here.

I'm excited to see what you'll bring to the project, and I hope to see something soon!

Thanks!
~Wes[/quote]

good point(s). i guess i'm just really anal retentive about MY saturn collection,heh. I think it would be awesome if we could make the OG .psd documents available for download as well as the images themselves. that way if i wanted to move some layers around for my collection then i could. the thing that attracts me to this project is the amount of customization that is possible. think of the possibilities! mind-blowing!

the spacebar doesn'twork toowellon thi scomupter, sorry. i'min a lab.

This thread is so awesome - I can't wait till you make them all available for download at the end of it -

Anyway, I have no photoshop skills, but I looked through the list of completed covers on the main page and I noticed that there is no virtua cop shown. I have it in pretty nice shape and I would be willing to scan it if it helps out. PM me if you would like me to do it.

This thread is obsolete. If you want to contribute, go to saurianunderground.com/saturn for details.

Also, the covers are available in the gallery on the website. Lots of things are changing; keep your eyes on the forums to learn what's in the future!

[quote name='kittenluvermeowz']I joined to download the box arts, how would I go about doing this:bouncy:[/quote]You don't get anything unless you contribute covers.

Hey Guys. Just wondering for those of you who have printed these out, are you using a standard 8x10 glossy and cutting, or are you using like Memorex DVD Case Covers for the slimbox? Thanks.

Just to let everyone know once more, and correct a few statements made recently...

Project home page: http://www.saurianunderground.com/saturn/

Please do NOT use this thread anymore! If you're interested in the project, visit our forum at http://www.saurianunderground.com/forum/

We are no longer requiring contributions for access to the finished covers! There is a gallery in place on the website: http://www.saurianunderground.com/gallery2

The gallery includes an area for uploading covers to us, and is now the preferred method for submitting your work. There is also a scan uploading section, so if you want to send some HIGH QUALITY scans for games (whether they've already been done or not!), you can do that now as well.

This project is not dead! We have had a number of submissions since the last update on this thread, and there are lots of new things in the works, including an application for customizing covers and projects for other consoles! Please visit the new forums to stay in the loop and get involved!

Thanks,
The Management

EDIT: Please note that the homepage, while more up-to-date than this thread, is not entirely up-to-date. Your best bet for current info is to read or ask in the forums.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Did people forget about this thread?

Who won the saturn?[/QUOTE]

i asked yesterday in the official forums..... no reply yet...

is there any way to download these beautiful saturn covers? ive search everywhere and only been able to download a few of them. i need to clean up my saturn collection for real. thanks

This project is awesome and some of the covers in the first post are really nice. The other site you keep pointing us to is down though. is this temporary?

[quote name='spshortman']is there any way to download these beautiful saturn covers? ive search everywhere and only been able to download a few of them. i need to clean up my saturn collection for real. thanks[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know, too. It's a shame all that work was done for these covers, and they're not available anywhere.

i could go dig through all the boxes of all my old gaming stuff (the only classic consoles i leave out is DC the rest is in boxes since my room is too small to show off all that stuff) i got close to around 100US saturn games and about 200 ish imports

Does anyone know what happened to all the artwork stored @ saurianunderground?

Most of the links at the beginning are broken now and Mookyjooky's art looks great. Surely there are still copies around somewhere.

Found what you are referring to. I am checking it now for their work. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all of the original works seem to have made their way over to thecoverproject.net I noticed in particular Mystaria, and Bomberman did not make it over. I am sure there are others missing as well but those are the ones I noticed first.

Sadness.

Yeah, I've been searching for these, but I keep coming up empty. Does anyone happen to still have them, or know where I can find them? I've checked out the cover project, but, like someone else said, it's missing some. I'd really like some of these.

is there any place where we can just download both the saturn and the sega cd slim line case inserts? the is a great idea....

I would really hate to see all the effort put into this project wasted. I've been around since Organicow started the very first cover project, and I know there is a large resource at www.thecoverproject.net

I don't know if these slim line covers are/were uploaded, though.

EDIT: My lazy ass self did a bit of looking, and there are quite a few of these slim-line covers that were uploaded by Mookyjooky at thecoverproject.net. I would love to see this thread revived!

I say we do all we can to keep this thread alive. Does anyone still have all of the templates for the slim covers and CD labels? It seems like the ones liked here have expired with rapidshare.

We should make slim DVD covers for Saturn, Dreamcast, and Sega CD games. It's also awesome to make disc labels too. We can post previews of our covers here and then upload the hi-res ones to www.thecoverproject.net.

I just jumpped aboard the "retro gaming" ship and went on a console collecting spree. I have acquired all of the Sega consoles and loved the idea of storing my Sega CD and Sega Saturn games in the slim cases and leaving the originals packed away safely. I have a few games that have not had the new covers made yet so I'll be contributing some shortly. I'll post my results.

The template download is still active. I need to install Photoshop. As I was scanning the covers I noticed that one of them has something foreign on it so I'll see if I can fix it or find another high res scan.

Here are three of my attempts:

Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection 1
thecoverproject.net/uploads/Ending.custom.saturn_arcadesgreatesthits-slimdvd.jpg

Lost World: Jurassic Park
thecoverproject.net/uploads/Ending.custom.saturn_lostworld-slimdvd.jpg

Scud: The Disposable Assassin
thecoverproject.net/uploads/Ending.custom.saturn_scud-slimdvd.jpg

Couldn't find any scans available so I had to make my own. I don't see these games listed on The Cover Project either.

Let me know what you all think.

OK, I hope I'm not committing a serious CAG noob faux pas by reviving this thread (especially with my very first post). I stumbled upon this thread/forum via google when I was in the middle of creating some covers and whatnot for myself. I'd love to keep sharing my ideas and designs and would really enjoy seeing what (if any) work that some of you guys have done since this thread sorta lost steam. If reviving this thread for that purpose is a bad idea, then please let me know. I have no problems starting a fresh thread if that's preferable.

Anywho, I've been into making shmups collections for various systems, and I just finished up a Parodius comp for the Saturn. Thought I'd share ;)

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02041.jpg

DSC02042.jpg

Unlike a lot of the designs that I saw in this thread, I'm not terribly interested in retaining the images and text from the original packaging (in regard to the back cover), but rather focusing on creating clean, fresh graphics that don't clutter the space with what is essentially useless info (I own the game, why bother to spend time creating a graphic that tries to sell it to me LOL!).

So I have a large collection of Saturn and Sega CD games. Most of the hinges have broken off of the large retail cases over the years and I would love to move my collection to standard DVD cases. The problem is - what do people do with the manuals? If you cut a DVD case correctly you can get them to fit sticking out the top an inch or so, but I can't help thinking that there is a better solution. Anyone here have any ideas?

[quote name='M_Carp']So I have a large collection of Saturn and Sega CD games. Most of the hinges have broken off of the large retail cases over the years and I would love to move my collection to standard DVD cases. The problem is - what do people do with the manuals? If you cut a DVD case correctly you can get them to fit sticking out the top an inch or so, but I can't help thinking that there is a better solution. Anyone here have any ideas?[/QUOTE]

That's one of the reasons I started this:

http://www.ratigators.com/

Which was in response to this thread:

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=6146.0

Thus far, no one has taken up the project with all of my raw scans, other than one individual that produced a few for personal use:

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/games-go-round/

bread's done
Back