Sega Saturn Slim DVD Cover Project [98 Covers and Growing / 56K beware!]

What a cool project! I use Photoshop for my job, so I'm somewhat of a pro... (but I'll let my work speak for itself...) I just acquired a White Saturn and I'm building my imports collection, and while I like saving cash by buying 'disc only' games, I also like having complete sets that display nicely. This is the perfect solution!

I'll begin submitting in a few days.
-Mark

All right I just finished my first scan. It is for the Saturn version of Bio Hazard. I am pretty critical of my own work and I think this is a bad one. However, I only encountered a few problems. One was trying to resize the back of the cover to the game. Since most of my games are imports it will be a problem, unless someone has an easy way to fix this.

Also I was going to note that I had issues scanning. I ended up scanning the cover to this one normally and it turned out to be 36 MB. So I had to tone down the quality a lot.

Also did one for Megaman X4. I thought it turned out decently. What do you think?

NOTE:Capcom logo is missing from the cover. Although I could crop that out and paste it in there. That's only because it wasn't in the image.

I'd also like to note that for some reason the colors didn't seem to come out as vibrant on my scans as the ones I found at http://covers.satakore.com/HTML/covers.htm

Anyway, comments, suggestions,praise,scorn,etc. Say it now!

Anyway Next covers for me are:

Shienryu
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (JAP)

[quote name='xorthen']All right I just finished my first scan. It is for the Saturn version of Bio Hazard. I am pretty critical of my own work and I think this is a bad one. However, I only encountered a few problems. One was trying to resize the back of the cover to the game. Since most of my games are imports it will be a problem, unless someone has an easy way to fix this.

Also I was going to note that I had issues scanning. I ended up scanning the cover to this one normally and it turned out to be 36 MB. So I had to tone down the quality a lot.

Also did one for Megaman X4. I thought it turned out decently. What do you think?

NOTE:Capcom logo is missing from the cover. Although I could crop that out and paste it in there. That's only because it wasn't in the image.

I'd also like to note that for some reason the colors didn't seem to come out as vibrant on my scans as the ones I found at http://covers.satakore.com/HTML/covers.htm

Shienryu

[/quote]

I they're pretty great. I'm really glad you're part of the project. Like I spoke about earlier, I would be cleaning up the covers and making sure they're all centered, and resized and what not.

So I did a bit of cleaning on these images. I hope you're not upset, its only some general polishing.

1. The text on the Sidebar is in Caps and lowercase, not all Caps. To keep them uniform, I fixed that on both.

2. I added a sidebar a graphic under the text of both.

3. I cleaned up the front image of Megaman X4 to make the logo look less stretched.

4. I also cliped off the white lines from the scan not being perfectly centered.

I hope you dont mind, I here to just make sure they all look great together on a bookshelf, and I just want to make them all perfect. Here's the graphical changes.

1vp9.jpg

2vr8.jpg

I cant wait to see the rest of them, and let me know if you need anything!

Thanks!

[quote name='xorthen']All right I just finished my first scan. It is for the Saturn version of Bio Hazard. I am pretty critical of my own work and I think this is a bad one. However, I only encountered a few problems. One was trying to resize the back of the cover to the game. Since most of my games are imports it will be a problem, unless someone has an easy way to fix this.

Shienryu

[/QUOTE]

The back of the Resident Evil cover looks very stretched, and the front of the MM cover could use some work, but they look cool. Good job.

Oh yeah, mooky, I have a couple questions. Do these thin-pak cases have a holder for a manual? And what is the game plan for multiple disc games? I figured we could make a unique case for each disc, but did you have something else in mind? Oh, and one more thing. What did you do to fix that MM4 cover? It doesn't look stretched at all in your render. Also, how do you get the little translucent background image on the spine of MM4? Sorry, didn't mean to write a fucking questionaire, but I'm want to make my submissions the best they can be.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I they're pretty great. I'm really glad you're part of the project. Like I spoke about earlier, I would be cleaning up the covers and making sure they're all centered, and resized and what not.

So I did a bit of cleaning on these images. I hope you're not upset, its only some general polishing.

1. The text on the Sidebar is in Caps and lowercase, not all Caps. To keep them uniform, I fixed that on both.

2. I added a sidebar a graphic under the text of both.

3. I cleaned up the front image of Megaman X4 to make the logo look less stretched.

4. I also cliped off the white lines from the scan not being perfectly centered.

I hope you dont mind, I here to just make sure they all look great together on a bookshelf, and I just want to make them all perfect. Here's the graphical changes.

1vp9.jpg

2vr8.jpg

I cant wait to see the rest of them, and let me know if you need anything!

Thanks![/quote]
Wow, I can already see a big difference based with those small changes.

Of course I don't mind you polishing it up! If it's for the better of the project then it's all beneficial. :)

I was also wondering how you managed to clean up the images without the image in PSD format. I am still currently working around a few more random covers. I was thinking of adding some covers for KOF 96,97, and possibly 95. Also thinking about doing Xmen-vs Street Fighter.

Did you happen to have a copy of Children of the Atom? I have it in disc only format, and one of these slim case covers would help me out alot. Anyway thanks for the polishing. Does the credit go to you , me, or both of us?

Also, I just finished my cover for Shienryu. I think this one turned out a lot nicer. I actually took more time with this one, and also enhanced the colors a bit.

I'd also like to note that the images I am uploading are saved at 4 quality with photoshop in JPEG format. However I do have the originals in PSD format at highest quality. So if you need me to send those I could always do that.

Feel free to make any changes to my Shienryu if you see anything that needs to be done. I think it looks pretty good overall. I did see a slight hint of white on the bottom left of the back of the cover. Other than that I think it came out pretty good.

Thanks again!:applause:

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Oh yeah, mooky, I have a couple questions.

1. Do these thin-pak cases have a holder for a manual?
2. And what is the game plan for multiple disc games? I figured we could make a unique case for each disc, but did you have something else in mind? Oh, and one more thing.
3. What did you do to fix that MM4 cover? It doesn't look stretched at all in your render.
4. Also, how do you get the little translucent background image on the spine of MM4?

Sorry, didn't mean to write a fucking questionaire, but I'm want to make my submissions the best they can be.[/quote]

Ask away man, thats what I'm here for!

1. Some do, some dont. Mine do... In the first post. Of course, they wont hold the actually manuals. I'm thinking about having a discussion about manuals, but we're just getting started, so gimme some time, and I'll have a plan for manuals. One thing at a time young grasshopper. =)

2. I plan on making the multiple game discs myself, and they will be multiple disc cases.

3. I'll be making some step by step instuctions, I'll cover it in there. But the short answer is I stretched the image outside of the canvas on the bottom till the logo looked less stretched.

4. The translucent image is already there in the template. look in the layers. here's an image explaining it below.

[quote name='xorthen']Wow, I can already see a big difference based with those small changes.

Of course I don't mind you polishing it up! If it's for the better of the project then it's all beneficial. :)

I was also wondering how you managed to clean up the images without the image in PSD format. I am still currently working around a few more random covers. I was thinking of adding some covers for KOF 96,97, and possibly 95. Also thinking about doing Xmen-vs Street Fighter.

Did you happen to have a copy of Children of the Atom? I have it in disc only format, and one of these slim case covers would help me out alot. Anyway thanks for the polishing. Does the credit go to you , me, or both of us?

Also, I just finished my cover for Shienryu. I think this one turned out a lot nicer. I actually took more time with this one, and also enhanced the colors a bit.

I'd also like to note that the images I am uploading are saved at 4 quality with photoshop in JPEG format. However I do have the originals in PSD format at highest quality. So if you need me to send those I could always do that.

Feel free to make any changes to my Shienryu if you see anything that needs to be done. I think it looks pretty good overall. I did see a slight hint of white on the bottom left of the back of the cover. Other than that I think it came out pretty good.

Thanks again!:applause:[/quote]

Awesome, you're pretty fast man!

Ok, here's the scoop... 1st off... I didnt think about it before, but please dont post full size covers in the thread. It kinda defeats the cover trading purpose. You can resize the image, (In Photoshop, click on "edit", "Image Size", make sure constrain proportions is checked at the bottom and make the width 600px. Then you can upload to imageshack.us. And post it here.

Otherwise, I'll try to fix an image that isnt at the right quality setting wasting my time. No biggie this time, but for next time, email High Quality "12" images to me at kenada23[at]Ntelos[dot]net. Make the subject, "Saturn DVD covers" I have a rule pulling those from the 150+ spam I get a day. (Also on the first post.)

Also, for future reference, stretching or squishing images are a little frowned upon, because on a cover it looks a bit "Chinese Bootleg".

Instead, For the front cover you can enlarge the pasted image on the .psd over the canvas till it fits just right. Photoshop will autoconvert the image quality to an extent. Like I did the Megaman X4 cover. I enlarged it over the canvas, cut of Mega's legs.. but it doesnt look stretched and it looks stylized.

For the back, for all CD jewel case games, like Jpn Saturn games, just put the back cover on the back, and you can put something else on top. Like do a google search and be creative with screenshots like I did below... or I've seen alot of people take the inside image of the back cover, and post it at the top with great success.

What I did here below, was do a google image search for "Shienryu", and got creative with the screenshots and some animated gif. It took me 20 mins.

3wh4.jpg

Here's another example I just made, that uses the back of the manual, to make the rest of the back cover.

15ys7.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Having some issues mailing the finished product to you mooky. I can't seem to convince it that it isn't spam. If anyone else has somewhere I can mail it that would help me out. Thanks

[quote name='xorthen']Having some issues mailing the finished product to you mooky. I can't seem to convince it that it isn't spam. If anyone else has somewhere I can mail it that would help me out. Thanks[/quote]

You could zip all the covers up and post it on Megaupload.com and give me the link.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']You could zip all the covers up and post it on Megaupload.com and give me the link.[/quote]

Sent.

Saw this on racketboy, decided I'd make some. I did, and joined up CAG. I emailing you some covers now. Peace!

[quote name='Ten10']Saw this on racketboy, decided I'd make some. I did, and joined up CAG. I emailing you some covers now. Peace![/quote]

Jesus, this is like 50 something covers. lol

We now have 96 Real + 2 Concept covers in all.

Daaaaaamn.

I've updated the 2nd post, but I havent counted who has new covers or not yet, I'll update later. It was a bitch converting all of these into the 3D graphic and uploading to imageshack.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']We now have 96 Real + 2 Concept covers in all.

Daaaaaamn.

I've updated the 2nd post, but I havent counted who has new covers or not yet, I'll update later. It was a bitch converting all of these into the 3D graphic and uploading to imageshack.[/quote]

Did you happen to get that link I sent?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Well, I think we know who is getting the Saturn.[/quote]

I wouldnt say all that, from here to Feb 14th is a pretty long time. And I'm not basing it on quantity, but quality... I mean some of them are pretty nice, but not all of them.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Well, I think we know who is getting the Saturn.[/quote]

Yeah, Mooky is getting the Saturn, obviously.:roll:

By the way, in response to the post about multiple disc cases...

But i did see that my local Staples has 2-disc SLIM cases, which would obviously be ideal for this project. I don't know how many 2-disc games there are all together, but i know there are quite a few Japanese ones (especially if you count all the omake and other bonus discs). Anyway, i believe it was a 20- or 25-pack for $16, which seems pretty good. They were black, but i'm sure clear ones exist if you're going for an all-clear-case collection; you'll just have to look elsewhere.

I would be interested to know where one can obtain cases for 3+ discs at a reasonable price, though. Anyone know a good site (or store) for oddball cases like that?

[quote name='SMMM']I'll see if I can get some done this weekend. I have a lot already done, just need to convert to slim.[/quote]
Yeah, you're the one who did most (all?) of the Saturn ones for the Snackbar site, right? Nice work on those. Vandal Hearts and Vampire Saviour are particularly good ones. EDIT: IMO, that is. ;-)

wow this really took off! I have really started it looks like ill have to wait until this semester is over because i only have access to this stuff on weekends(my laptop is being screwy)

Hopefully ill be able to contribute some in a few weeks ^^

Just sent off my first completed cover, Layer Section. I painstakingly recreated the 'Layer Section' and 'Taito' logos in high-res goodness...

I've been messing around with an 'X-Men Children of the Atom' cover all week... hope to have it finished soon.

Are these covers going to be available for everyone? I would like to contribute but have no art skills to speak of. If they are not public is there a way I can contribute financially or in any other way?

[quote name='tqchapman']Are these covers going to be available for everyone? I would like to contribute but have no art skills to speak of. If they are not public is there a way I can contribute financially or in any other way?[/quote] The idea is that they will be made available when we reach our goal. We want to keep access limited to the circle of people who are working on them until we are satisfied that they are all of acceptable quality, and then upload all of them to Snackbar's cover project site. I don't think there is any need for financial contributions, but talk to Mookyjooky about that.

I've tried to e-mail mooky my cover from 2 different addresses (one from hotmail, the other from comcast, my ISP), and I keep getting a delivery failure. wtf?

[quote name='markums']I've tried to e-mail mooky my cover from 2 different addresses (one from hotmail, the other from comcast, my ISP), and I keep getting a delivery failure. wtf?[/QUOTE]

With so many e-mails chances are his inbox could have gotten full.

[quote name='Weedy649']With so many e-mails chances are his inbox could have gotten full.[/quote]

ah, I hadn't considered that... maybe I'll have to arrange an upload for him. thanks!

[quote name='markums']ah, I hadn't considered that... maybe I'll have to arrange an upload for him. thanks![/quote] Nah, it isn't a full inbox. I've had trouble e-mailing images to him since the beginning. His server seems to think everything is spam. Thought it was my SMTP server cutting me off, but others have had trouble as well. You can set up a share for him, or you can e-mail to me at [email protected] if you prefer. You can also upload to SaurianOverlord on MediaMax, but please tag your files or put them in a tagged .zip or .rar if you do that, so we know whose they are. I've updated the 'official' project website with this info, as well as a complete list of currently finished covers. EDIT: if you e-mail, make sure you include the subject Saturn DVD Cover.

Hi, everyone. I found out about this project from RacketBoy's website and I, personally, am really excited about it. Normally, I'm not really into using unofficial covers, but the Saturn really seems to be the most suited system for this. It also helps that a lot of my Saturn games are disc-only.

For my first cover, I chose to do Virtua Cop, since nobody had done that yet. I didn't have a ton of source material to work with (maybe I should have asked for scans), but I think it came out really well. I spent a fairly ridiculous amount of time making the back from scratch and recreating pretty much ALL of the logos and bars and stuff (that I'll be posting later) and at this point I'm 99.9% done. Hopefully, things will go quicker if I use the same format in the future. I'll be "officially" submitting this later.

I don't think I'll be able to compete with some of you guys in terms of quantity, but I'll try to have at least 10 solid, original covers before this thing is over.

Low-quality preview:

vcpreview.jpg

I know I need to fix the text on the spine. Should we include the TM sign or not? Personally, I think it makes it look more professional. I'm still debating whether I should have the ESRB logo on the front or not. I also like the idea of having region-specific templates, though the US one doesn't have to be the ugly, official one.

Alright. I'll give it a go. Is there a master list of those which already have covers? Unless already provided, I'll take the challenge of converting the Japanese Puyo Puyo games. Also, does anyone know if a similar project is taking place for the Dreamcast, PSX, et al?

[quote name='durkada']Alright. I'll give it a go. Is there a master list of those which already have covers? Unless already provided, I'll take the challenge of converting the Japanese Puyo Puyo games. Also, does anyone know if a similar project is taking place for the Dreamcast, PSX, et al?[/quote]

I agree, I need some decent Dreamcast Covers. Although I have seen Mooky's 3rd strike cover and it is pretty kickass. :drool:

[quote name='durkada']Alright. I'll give it a go. Is there a master list of those which already have covers? Unless already provided, I'll take the challenge of converting the Japanese Puyo Puyo games. Also, does anyone know if a similar project is taking place for the Dreamcast, PSX, et al?[/quote] The "list" would be the second post in the thread, with all the preview images. There is also a text list on the website. We haven't got one for Puyo Puyo yet, as far as i know. Don't worry about making duplicates, though, especially if it's significantly different from what's already done. There are no current plans for us to do this for any other systems at the moment (that i know of!), and i'm not sure if anyone else is doing anything similar. But we're taking one thing at a time. It's certainly a possibility, but we're focusing on the Saturn right now. It's great that so many people are interested, but there are only two of us [trying] to manage this thing, so bear with us!

[quote name='SaurianOverlord']The "list" would be the second post in the thread, with all the preview images. There is also a text list on the website. We haven't got one for Puyo Puyo yet, as far as i know. Don't worry about making duplicates, though, especially if it's significantly different from what's already done. There are no current plans for us to do this for any other systems at the moment (that i know of!), and i'm not sure if anyone else is doing anything similar. But we're taking one thing at a time. It's certainly a possibility, but we're focusing on the Saturn right now. It's great that so many people are interested, but there are only two of us [trying] to manage this thing, so bear with us![/quote]

Saurian, you're a mind reader... "One thing at a time" is exactly right. But just to let you all know, I started working on a matching slim Dreamcast cover the day I started this project. =)

I'm hoping that people will still want to make a cover or two after the Saturn grand prize is given away, and the Saturn project lives on... but I'm already planning a Dreamcast project, and trying to think what a good Dreamcast prize would be...

Things are doing so well here, that I'll be sitting on that Dreamcast project till after Feb. 14th. I'm torn between PSX, Dreamcast... or possibly doing a quick and easy project like 3DO, (That would take us like 2 days).

Either way, other systems are coming, but one at a time guys, we're doing REALLY good here, making cover history. We're creating a whole system's library, and the covers actually match! It doesnt get better than this. =)

Thanks for all your support and hard work... and a special thanks to Saurian for getting these questions answered so well. Thanks!

Can anyone do the US Saturn DVD cases..like

Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Mortal Kombat 2
Ultimate MK3
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Collection
Sega Ages Vol. 1
Nightwarriors
Daytona USA
Daytona CCE
Sonic Jam

I sent Saurian a few covers, although I don't know if he showed them to you or not. I sure hope so, I took my sweet ass time scanning and all that other crap. Then again, he said something about the backs so I can understand.

Hi guys! I found a link to this forum over at The Cover Project and I would love to help out. I have about 70 US Saturn games and about 20 Japanese Saturn titles. I can scan these covers or work on new cover projects, whatever you guys need me to do. Let me know if there are any particular covers you need work done on.

Here are the promised Puyo Puyo covers. Overall, I'm rather pleased with the results -- especially when considering that the only source material I have are the manuals. Yes, I know of the various cover sites which have scans of additional artwork -- but I don't like the low quality of their offerings. Not that they're bad mind you -- I just like to work with scanned images at 1200dpi and work my way down.

Anyway, enjoy!

small2.jpg
smallsun.jpg

Here are the promised Puyo Puyo covers. Overall, I'm rather pleased with the results -- especially when considering that the only source material I have are the manuals. Yes, I know of the various cover sites which have scans of additional artwork -- but I don't like the low quality of their offerings. Not that they're bad mind you -- I just like to work with scanned images at 1200dpi and work my way down.

Anyway, enjoy!

small2.jpg

smallsun.jpg

I have Albert Odyssey, Magic Knight Rayearth, Sonic 3D Blast, and Panzer Dragoon Saga, and am more than willing to scan the covers. I saw none of these in the OP, so if you all need these scanned and donated, let me know... I might even try my hand at a concept cover or two... I'm a bit rusty in Photoshop though, and my scanner is an old-fart HP all-in-one. :whistle2:\

I also have Samurai Shodown Best Collection, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, and Vampire Savior if those are needed... as well as the Samurai Shodown III manual for some source material.

Let me know if any of these are needed.

Just want to say a quick thank you to everyone participating! We are up to well over 100 individual covers for over 90 different games, which is awesome! Keep them coming!

Also, to anyone interested in scanning for the project, i've decided that i'll be willing to host source files on the website as well. So, if you'd like to supply scans, scan in what you've got (minimum 300dpi please, but the higher the better), zip/rar it up (one archive file per game), and send it to me via e-mail or MediaMax. I'll upload it to the site and make it available for whoever wants it. If you'd rather save yourself unnecessary scanning and work on a per request basis, that's fine too, but having high quality scans readily available will improve the overall quality of the project. (If i reject anyone's scans, please don't take it personally; it's probably your scanner's fault!)

FYI -- for the Photoshop impaired, or the Winders challenged:

The Gimp can read and write PSD image format. At some point, I think the Gimp surpassed Photoshop in terms of power and GUI comfort -- probably about 3 to 4 years ago. At least, I'm more comfortable with it. So, if you don't have Photoshop, or prefer to stay away from the confines of Winders and Mac OS, give it a whirl. The Gimp has been ported to Winders, Mac, Solaris, FreedBSD, etc. etc. etc.

bread's done
Back