Skylanders Giants Starter packs(all systems) $11 or YMMV $1 @ Target after TRU PM and $1.00 reserve and $10.00 MCD Coupon

ajh2298

CAGiversary!
Feedback
181 (100%)
I was able to pickup a Skylanders Giants Starter Pack at Target this afternoon for $1.00 after a PM to TRU $39.99 price a $10.00 off McDonalds Coupon and a $1.00 reserve for the Swap Force Game.

Link to McDonalds $10.00 off Coupon .pdf (good till 6/30/13)

http://www.happymeal.com/en_US/downloads/12ACT117_SG_McD_Coupon_Final.pdf

Target is currently running a promotion to get $30 off the Skylanders Giants starter pack for any system if you buy the $1 reservation for the next game "Swap Force".

Toys-R-Us page showing the $39.99 price for all systems.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?sr=1&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&kw=062313starter&origkw=062313starter&kwCatId=&view=all

Most you should pay is $11.00 after PM and $1.00 reserve card. If they take the $10.00 off coupon it should only be a $1.00 plus tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I have no interest in skylanders at all but if I can somehow manage to get this for $1 I might have to bite. I've had a lot of success with Target recently but this one might be tricky. Maybe if I bought a skylanders figure with it it wouldn't be too bad?

Hmm I have no interest in skylanders at all but if I can somehow manage to get this for $1 I might have to bite. I've had a lot of success with Target recently but this one might be tricky. Maybe if I bought a skylanders figure with it it wouldn't be too bad?
That's exactly what I did. I may bring the figure I bought back and get my $9.99 back, but then again...I suppose I need to get a few characters.

I wouldn't mind getting the 360 and 3DS versions. I don't really have that many 3DS games despite owning it since launch.
Just be aware that 3DS Giants is supposed to be slightly mediocre where the first 3DS game was actually really good on it's own. Though I still want it just for the exclusive character... oh the issues this game creates in compulsives.

Denied immediately.  Didn't even get the coupon out.  Could only pricematch at Customer Service.  Told her that online policy says nothing about combining price match and pre-order deals. She didn't care.  Claimed Target price was the same as TRU after the pre-order promotion.  What???  I have to pre-order to get the same price as TRU? No thanks.

Thanks OP.  Wallked out of target with skylanders for Wii U for 11.95.   Was waiting for the right price for this game, and this is fantastic :D.  Didnt want to try to use the McD's coupon just because knowing how some of the targets around here are I didnt want to press my luck. I had to basically use the ipad for the cashier though to get her to the price page 

I think I'll try and give this a shot this evening after work. I got a good deal on Dead Space 3 doing this. You just have to act ignorant and be quiet about what you think the deal will drop too. Pricematch.. buy some other items...  reserve card....  and then coupon... and boom, you are free and clean. I did the exact thing before which the exception of the coupon.

Got it today. Had a physical flyer for Toys R Us so no questions there. Was going to try the coupon but the cashier matched the starter pack at $30.00 instead of $39.99 so $1.07 out the door.

I think I'll try and give this a shot this evening after work. I got a good deal on Dead Space 3 doing this. You just have to act ignorant and be quiet about what you think the deal will drop too. Pricematch.. buy some other items... reserve card.... and then coupon... and boom, you are free and clean. I did the exact thing before which the exception of the coupon.
Agreed. Dont make a big deal out of anything. I would suggest that guest services are easiest, but that may depend on your store too. Just price match it, then hand them the card and just dont make a big deal of anything. Pay for your shit and GTFO lol. It is possible you will have the best results just trying to do it without the coupon, so if one store doesnt let you get it for a buck, try it at another sans coupon

Got this today at a Target in Erie, PA. Worked like a charm. Just make sure you get the price match before you hand them the reserve card. The price gets reduced automatically.

Paid $1.04 when it was said and done.

Agreed. Dont make a big deal out of anything. I would suggest that guest services are easiest, but that may depend on your store too. Just price match it, then hand them the card and just dont make a big deal of anything. Pay for your shit and GTFO lol. It is possible you will have the best results just trying to do it without the coupon, so if one store doesnt let you get it for a buck, try it at another sans coupon
Yeah, I don't even plan to use the coupon since I figure getting PP Pop Fizz for $11 is the same as if I had been able to buy him solo and getting other stuff too then.

Got this today at a Target in Erie, PA. Worked like a charm. Just make sure you get the price match before you hand them the reserve card. The price gets reduced automatically.

Paid $1.04 when it was said and done.

The order you hand it to them does help the person go along with it, though the registers shouldn't care if it's set up same as previous deals like this.

Paid a little over $12 after tax and red card 5% discount for starter set for Wii u and a $10 figure. Probably will just return the figure later. Another fantastic Target deal cags well done, and good luck to others in getting this deal. Thanks OP!

Decided to give this a go for gits and shiggles.

Went to Electronics Dept.....located the only Starter Pack for 360 remaining.  Asked associate if I could pricematch with him or if I needed to go to CS.  Was directed to CS located at front of store.

Explained to lady I wanted to price match with TRU from their sale this week.  After about 10 minutes she was finally able to locate it on her precious iPad that was locked up in a drawer.  Price dropped from $74.99 to $39.99 as per price match.  Handed her the Swap Force card....price drops to $9.99 + $1 for the card.  Hand her the coupon....$1.64 after tax!!!  For whatever reason I was charged tax on the $9.99 + $1 price instead of just on the $1 which I wasn't about to haggle over.  It was a difference of $0.57...not worth an argument.

Her jaw nearly about hit the floor and said she was very impressed with the sale and that everything worked out.  I might go back tomorrow to pick up a Wii copy for my girlfriend's nephew.  I'm planning on keeping this copy for myself....can't beat that price.

no problem here! got two, from different targets. 360 and Wii. the order I purchased them in was:

price match tru
McDonald's coupon
then preorder

both cs managers couldn't believe it, the lady said "that's ballin'". Ballin' indeed.

Here are some suggestions to make this whole thing more likely to go through.  First, plan to buy more things than just the Skylanders pack & pre-order card.  For me, I picked up a couple of Nintendo eShop points cards as well.  This will keep anybody from raising eyebrows at a $1 + tax grand total for your purchase.

Also, don't mention anything about mixing the pricematch and their pre-order deal.  Talking about it will make it more likely for them to deny you.

I'd suggest to follow these steps, in order.  This is in line with the post above, but a couple more details to help.  This worked for me yesterday:

Thanks OP, the misses was able to snag one for the kid for $1 ... all from her phone, no print outs. From what the Manager was saying if it works it should just go through, which it did. Although one of the CS associates, not the one waiting on her, was going on and on about it not being right and something must be wrong and how at TRU she would have had to call the Manager, to which she replied she had already talked to him ... mind you this was before the final $10 off coupon. Lol. :)

The only thing she didn't get was the $5 off the reservation because they were out of them ... not like we were planning on using it anyway.

Thanks again OP, definitely made my kid's day. :)

... something tells me there's going to be a whole lot of copies of Swap Force on the clearance rack in the near future. 

Swing and a miss at the closest store, they had zero of the Swapforce cards and they wouldn't do it without them.  Anyone just want to pick me up a 3DS copy for cost + shipping?  :rofl:

Totally worked for me.  priced matched (which took forever for them to find.  they eventually let me show it to them on my phone) then asked to get the preorder and then gave them the coupon.  $.99 with tax on $10 odd.  but was like $1.79 after everything.  i did get a girl who could could not care less.  she even said "i dont think i can do this but whatever" so some one who cares might not let it happen so easy. 

Thanks OP, the misses was able to snag one for the kid for $1 ... all from her phone, no print outs. From what the Manager was saying if it works it should just go through, which it did. Although one of the CS associates, not the one waiting on her, was going on and on about it not being right and something must be wrong and how at TRU she would have had to call the Manager, to which she replied she had already talked to him ... mind you this was before the final $10 off coupon. Lol. :)

The only thing she didn't get was the $5 off the reservation because they were out of them ... not like we were planning on using it anyway.

... something tells me there's going to be a whole lot of copies of Swap Force on the clearance rack in the near future.
From what I know when I worked at Target, reserves mean nothing. They didn't have a track on a store by store basis.

on a side note the swap force preorder cards are in their own area, across the 3DS display in my store with only about 4 left for the 3DS.  didnt see any for other systems.  just going to bring mine if i try again.

Do you mean that they were out of the preorder cards for Swap Force? My Target hasn't even gotten any in and they said that they didn't know if they will. They said that they couldn't honor their own deal without the cards. Were you able to do it without the preorder card?

Picked up the PS3 version for $1.  Glad I got this before they sold out/stopped accepting the price match or something.  Thanks OP.

Thanks, OP.  Worked without a hitch when I picked up the WiiU version.  Couldn't have had a better employee at customer service.  She said, "Wow!  What a great deal!"  

She took the words out of my mouth.  

Ended up getting a 3ds and wii u copy this evening. I was just going to get a 3ds one until the clerk asked if I wanted to get another. I guess someone hit the store in the morning and cleaned out the ps3/360 copies. Probably some slick deals flipper....

Target 1 turned me down. I was buying a bunch of items (about 6 things I needed). The customer service person kept saying "Something is wrong" and kept voiding the transaction and ringing everything up over and over again. Finally she decided to ring up the Skylanders game separate from everything else. Eventually she went and got a manager to turn me down.

Drove to Target 2 and they didn't have any preorder cards anywhere. They checked the system and it came up as zero. They said the game department person would be off of lunch in 15 minutes and I should wait for him because he will know where they were. I waited 20 minutes and guess what? He didn't know where they were. The employees were nice about it though and were as dumbfounded as I was as to why the tags are all over the store and no Skylanders cards are on them.

Drove to Target 3 and used sassylaurie's method of buying the $39.99 megablocks set since I bought everything I needed at Target 1 and Target 2. I finally got lucky and it worked. I didn't even mention the McDonalds coupon. I was just happy to get it for $10 + $1 preorder. I'll be returning the megablocks set tomorrow.

At least the shitty Target 2 (actually a really nice store, but never got any preorder cards) wasn't a complete waste. I bought 2 Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Packs for Ps3 for $10.98 each. They were clearanced at $20.98 and I used the McDonalds coupon on them. If for some reason someone wants a ps3 Spyro's Adventures Starter pack, I'd be willing to trade one for a Skylanders Giants 3ds starter pack.

Thanks OP and thanks sassylaurie for the megablock idea. :)

Ended up getting a 3ds and wii u copy this evening. I was just going to get a 3ds one until the clerk asked if I wanted to get another. I guess someone hit the store in the morning and cleaned out the ps3/360 copies. Probably some slick deals flipper....
What do you mean "slickdeals flipper"? ;)

"Excellent, got them for a total of $1.47 each, using the Target Red Card, got 1 for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and Wii U; makes great gifts!!! Thanks OP, reppd and thumbd up!!!"

:roll:

"picked up 2 WiiU, 1 PS3 and 1 3DS from 2 Targets using the McDonald's coupons. Will try again tomorrow for 2 more."

----Those were just some quotes from the most recent posts on SD. I don't have the patience or the stomach to read the rest. I guess they're not really hurting anyone except other people who want to buy the Starter Packs this week.

What do you mean "slickdeals flipper"? ;)

"Excellent, got them for a total of $1.47 each, using the Target Red Card, got 1 for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and Wii U; makes great gifts!!! Thanks OP, reppd and thumbd up!!!"

"picked up 2 WiiU, 1 PS3 and 1 3DS from 2 Targets using the McDonald's coupons. Will try again tomorrow for 2 more."

----Those were just some quotes from the most recent posts on SD. I don't have the patience or the stomach to read the rest. I guess they're not really hurting anyone except other people who want to buy the Starter Packs this week.
I probably should have included that the clerk told me about someone picking them all up.

I kind of have to eat crow when I talk sh*t on flippers because I used to be one in the worse of ways. At some point I had an epiphany that I was really acting like a hording jerk and was wasting entirely too much time on doing it just to make a few bucks. I in no way have quit flipping, but the level to which I do so has gone down significantly. I will occasionally flip a game here or there after playing it. Or if I find an old rare game, sell it to the highest bidder. But to clean out an entire store of stock is just deplorable to me and frankly pathetic. The fact that the people brag about it makes it even more irritating. It makes me feel sick the amount of stupid crap I did. I guess you can say I've seen the light.

I did buy two copies of the game on this deal, but I bought the 3DS version for car trips for my kids, and the Wii U version for home. Before anyone accuses me of hording. ;)

yeah it didnt work for me. I got other items with it, and when it rang up it told her that I could already get it for 39.99 with the preorder purchase I said I didnt want to, and then when she saw the discount from buying the preorder anyways she got a manager who then claimed I cant purchase multiple items at GS and I cant buy items with an item I have price matched.... with who I got into it with not because of the deal but because shes a fucking liar and I cant stand that shit when it doesnt matter what I say since shes a manager. 

I probably should have included that the clerk told me about someone picking them all up.

I kind of have to eat crow when I talk sh*t on flippers because I used to be one in the worse of ways. At some point I had an epiphany that I was really acting like a hording jerk and was wasting entirely too much time on doing it just to make a few bucks. I in no way have quit flipping, but the level to which I do so has gone down significantly. I will occasionally flip a game here or there after playing it. Or if I find an old rare game, sell it to the highest bidder. But to clean out an entire store of stock is just deplorable to me and frankly pathetic. The fact that the people brag about it makes it even more irritating. It makes me feel sick the amount of stupid crap I did. I guess you can say I've seen the light.

I did buy two copies of the game on this deal, but I bought the 3DS version for car trips for my kids, and the Wii U version for home. Before anyone accuses me of hording. ;)
Lol, no accusations here. Hopefully those SD quotes were people who at least went to multiple stores. You're right about how screwed up it is for someone to clean out a whole store. I can't believe an employee or manager let that transaction at your store go though. I guess there aren't any "limit 1 per customer" stipulations, but still...

Ugh, haven't gotten this to work at any target I've been to yet.. All I really want is the Punch Pop Fizz since hes my favorite looking character.  If anyone's willing to get me a 3DS version or even just willing to part with the red Pop Fizz for cost + shipping, it would be MUCH appreciated -_o

Target management are like nazi's now ... 3 targets and I ran into issues at each one .... even though the damn thing rings up just fine.

Yeah if anyone is able to get a PS3 copy at a store that they know it works at I am totally willing to pay for shipping.... I would greatly appreciate it. If possible at all shoot me a PM. 

You guys that got this must have some luck, every manager was going over this with a fine tooth comb and the minute the price dropped to $1 it was game over. I felt like a smuggler going through customs ...

You guys that got this must have some luck, every manager was going over this with a fine tooth comb and the minute the price dropped to $1 it was game over. I felt like a smuggler going through customs ...
I didn't even have the cojones to try the McDonalds coupon to get it to $1. At the first store I went to, the employee flipped out at the $9.99 price (pricematch+preorder). I knew instantly it was a no-go. I can imagine how she'd react if I did the pricematch+coupon+preorder.

Yeah, it was a bad sign at almost all the Targets I went to when I the employees were already yelling out "$30 off?!" at the TRU pm ... at that point I was just thinking 'oh god ... this is not going to end well ... remain calm'

I was told no at the first Target, but as others have said just use some extra fluff in the basket that rings up to a decent amount and give the pre-order card last and they won't even notice what you did. The only problem you might have to explain is the coupon at the end. But if you use the policy angle it should not be an issue. Worked for me after I realized this.

The employee who rang me up at customer service was so nonchalant about the whole thing. Even seeing the final cost of ~$1 didn't phase her. I'm sorry to hear that so many of you are having issues.

What I can't understand is why the employees flip out. Do they simply just hate others and want to screw them out of a good deal?
Pretty much.

Like I said previously, the only thing in the terms that isn't allowed is a gift card promo from target after the PM. I kinda want to try to get the 3DS version from store 1 again just to debate it with the AP guy who told me one or the other. I will whip up the terms this time and have them readily available. He kinda pissed me off a lot for no reason other than to be a dick. Gave me the "Guest Relations" number and at that point I was like, psh...

My transaction at 2 wasn't as smooth as I made it out to be. They (gstl and guest service associate) rung the combo up 3 times to make sure it was legit. Just happy they let it thru. I do want to get the 3DS exclusive character, but I definitely don't want another portal... Or the game...

can anyone who purchased the preorder swap force card tell us the upc of it. I want to know if it is just a generic universal upc so maybe we can just tell them to type in the upc to purchase it? not sure if that would work since none of us plan on picking up the swap force game anyway lol

Yeah, one of the managers I had to deal with basically took it upon himself to tell me that regardless of what the computer said, it was his duty to stop me from getting the deal. Of course this was after some sun-manager told me I couldn't use a coupon and price match ...

Each of the Targets I went to had managers that were similar ... I think it's that they were all in their 40s or 50s and had an tenuous grasp of what the store policies actually are vs enforcing whatever they feel like 'should be' the Target policy.

Going to try to get this at the Pittsburgh Targets. I'll let u know if I score.I went to the Robinson Twp. Target and everything rang up correctly but the cashier called over someone to look at the price and they informed me I needed to ring it up at customer service. Again she rang it up and the price was right again minus the copy of the mcdonalds coupon and an older lady in the back stated thats 60.00 off we cant do that. So they looked up the TRU flyer and said that the 39.99 at TRU is not valid with any other offers so if they honor the add then i cant use the 30 off reservation. @OCK Blocked. Damn. Didnt bother wasting anymore gas or time going to the other stores since when the new systems come out what will the price of these be then really and it will be just one more sealed game I didnt get around to playing to place in my casket. Good luck to anyone else. I would suggest placing something of value in your cart and not just the game and maybe you'll get lucky

Do you mean that they were out of the preorder cards for Swap Force? My Target hasn't even gotten any in and they said that they didn't know if they will. They said that they couldn't honor their own deal without the cards. Were you able to do it without the preorder card?
Yeah, they said they'd honor the $30 off they just didn't have any $5 off cards. As far as I could tell as long as they'll do the PM, everything else should just work when it's rung up ... if they want it to. :lol:

bread's done
Back