Skylanders Giants Starter packs(all systems) $11 or YMMV $1 @ Target after TRU PM and $1.00 reserve and $10.00 MCD Coupon

ajh2298

CAGiversary!
Feedback
181 (100%)
I was able to pickup a Skylanders Giants Starter Pack at Target this afternoon for $1.00 after a PM to TRU $39.99 price a $10.00 off McDonalds Coupon and a $1.00 reserve for the Swap Force Game.

Link to McDonalds $10.00 off Coupon .pdf (good till 6/30/13)

http://www.happymeal.com/en_US/downloads/12ACT117_SG_McD_Coupon_Final.pdf

Target is currently running a promotion to get $30 off the Skylanders Giants starter pack for any system if you buy the $1 reservation for the next game "Swap Force".

Toys-R-Us page showing the $39.99 price for all systems.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?sr=1&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&kw=062313starter&origkw=062313starter&kwCatId=&view=all

Most you should pay is $11.00 after PM and $1.00 reserve card. If they take the $10.00 off coupon it should only be a $1.00 plus tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the values kind of tanked on the 3ds versions of this and the first game when you take the exclusive figure out. I got a 3ds copy of the first game just missing Dark Spyro a couple of weeks ago for like $15.00 shipped. I have seen auctions for the Giants version of the game with just the portal and the game go for $10.00
Doesn't help that 3DS Giants isn't supposed to be nearly as good as the first 3DS Skylanders (which was actually surprisingly good and not just a copy of the console version).

Worked great at my target. Walked out at $1.54. Went to the service desk, PM'd ToysRus and the total came to $43 and some change. Next gave her a 97 cent pack of gum as a filler, then gave her the reservation card, $30 discount was applied automatically, then gave her the McDonald's Coupon which came off automatically. She looked very confused and surprised..lol. To others trying this deal, try to do it in the order that I did and when you hand them the coupon make sure to say something along the lines of "I have a manufacturers coupon", seems like they won't second guess it. I had a printed out copy of the policy in my pocket just in case. In reality the game cost $0. The reservation card cost 57 cents and the gum was 97 cents. On my receipt it shows 96 cents subtotal and 58 cents tax though. However you look at it, it's an amazing deal.

Well without PPF it depends how lucky you are, usually around $10-15 on ebay. Right now there's a couple auctions of just the portal and game going for around $20 which is quite abnormal, so just depends on who you find.
That's not too bad. Covers cost of gas + purchase.

However I might try to roll the dice on CL to see if I can scrap up more for it.

Second Target I went to was jackpot. Camo'ed it with a bunch of other stuff I needed and didn't say shit. Pricematched first, then paid for everything, then gave the card (didn't use McCoupon). Red Card took 5% off. 11 bucks for 3DS version. Hell yeah.

I tried to buy the set at a target today with some other stuff. Everything rang up fine, then the lady freaked out when she saw the price. The manager then gave me the 'one or the other' speech. I'll try another one tonight.

the temptation to buy these for ebay is very strong. lol

guy was dumbfounded by how cheap it was. called a manager for the $30 stacking, didnt blink an eye at the mcdonalds one.

Was able to get the 3DS one for $11 today (happy with that so not sweating the $10 coupon I forgot to print).  First, pushing 60 year old woman at the desk "wasn't sure she could price match the online version of the ad." I kept trying to explain to her how to use her iPad to get to ToysRUs.com and she kept saying she had to do something else, then ultimately just wound up on ToysRUs.com... sigh. Eventually she called in a younger employee who got the price match just fine.

Then she rang up the rest of my purchase and the pre-order card. Total dropped to below what the original game was supposed to be. She was totally confused and started to re-ring everything. Finally I just said to her, I think it actually says something about taking money off of the starter pack when I pre-order in the weekly ad this week. She went, 'Oh, it does?  Ok, well that explains it." then just rang me up all smiles. Won't argue.

OP, if your ever in Murphys, California I will invite you over for some of my wife's famous homemade Tamales.

Ended up picking up both the Xbox 360 and 3DS versions for 13.xx including tax. I didn't have another McDonalds coupon nor did I have enough ink to print another the price down from $115.xx to $13.xx I was amazed. Now I know how those people feel on Supermarket Sweepstake! The CS agent had a little difficulty finding the price on the Toys 'R Us website but after some helpful hints from yours truly, he dropped the price. After he scanned the preorder cards and the coupon his face was priceless.

After I paid he asked how I knew about the deals and I can proudly say we have another CAG convert. 

Thanks OP! I was able to pick up 2 Xbox versions and 1 3ds set. I didn't bother with the coupon, it wasn't worth the headache that printed coupons cause at my local Targets when mixed with other deals. I might try a missed coupon on one of the sets since I have to return something else at target tomorrow.

For anyone in the Seattle area

Everett - I was able to buy 1 here but not without some resistance. They already knew about the TRU price match and said that they had tried last night and the preorder card would not work when they price matched. I nicely ask them to just try it and see if it works.

Which it of course did, showed $11 and some change on my screen. Then they switched something up on their screen and it went back to 39.99. and then showed me a screen saying that it wouldn't allow them to change the price.

They were super nice about it and I pointed out that it did show the $11 on my screen when they first did it. So I ask them to redo it using the price match first and then the preorder card as was first done.

So yes I was able to get 1 which is all a brought up, but they may change how they ring things up for other people now that they know how to make it "not" work

Lynnwood ~ Easy Girl knew about the price match and the preorder card deal. Several people had already picked it up today. So I was able to get another XBox set for my mom and a 3ds set for myself

Priced matched 3ds version at amazon for $39.99.  Gave em the swap card and the coupon.  They gave me a penny back.

just kidding. I didn't use the mcdonalds coupon.  Didn't want to push it.  $10.99+tax was a damn fine deal.

Thanks OP! I was able to pick up 2 Xbox versions and 1 3ds set. I didn't bother with the coupon, it wasn't worth the headache that printed coupons cause at my local Targets when mixed with other deals. I might try a missed coupon on one of the sets since I have to return something else at target tomorrow.

For anyone in the Seattle area

Everett - I was able to buy 1 here but not without some resistance. They already knew about the TRU price match and said that they had tried last night and the preorder card would not work when they price matched. I nicely ask them to just try it and see if it works.

Which it of course did, showed $11 and some change on my screen. Then they switched something up on their screen and it went back to 39.99. and then showed me a screen saying that it wouldn't allow them to change the price.

They were super nice about it and I pointed out that it did show the $11 on my screen when they first did it. So I ask them to redo it using the price match first and then the preorder card as was first done.

So yes I was able to get 1 which is all a brought up, but they may change how they ring things up for other people now that they know how to make it "not" work

Lynnwood ~ Easy Girl knew about the price match and the preorder card deal. Several people had already picked it up today. So I was able to get another XBox set for my mom and a 3ds set for myself
I also had a VERY easy time at the Northgate Store as well, Lady was like "oh thats a good deal" when I pm'd it to 39.99 and didnt bat an eye when it was down to 11.XX, i paid as quickly as i could and bounced as quietly as I had come

I still think most of it is not making a huge fuss, just be cool about shit

Got turned down. Manager claimed I couldn't price match and do the preorder, I didn't want to fight it. I got a sense from him that there were a few people that took advantage of the deal before me and he didn't like that. I will try again at another store.

No go at Mission Valley, California. CS Rep said PM or preorder
You probably got stuck with the same rep that I did! Good to know I'm not the only Mission Valley CAG that got turned down.

I was able to get the deal with no issue at the Mira Mesa Target. Might want to try there.

You probably got stuck with the same rep that I did! Good to know I'm not the only Mission Valley CAG that got turned down.

I was able to get the deal with no issue at the Mira Mesa Target. Might want to try there.
Thanks, went further south and got the green light at 4th Ave Chula Vista. The rep gave me kudos for the bargain find.

Is the Giants portal compatible with the original game? Now that I got a portal for so cheap, I hope I can just pick up the first game's disc on eBay and not bother getting a second portal.

Is the Giants portal compatible with the original game? Now that I got a portal for so cheap, I hope I can just pick up the first game's disc on eBay and not bother getting a second portal.
Yes, it is compatible with the first game.

I was really debating on doing this deal. I debated on getting the 3DS version to get Punch Pop Fizz, but wasn't sure if I wanted to take the chance on getting shot down and looking silly at the store just for that. But then my son's Xbox version got scratched, so I needed another copy. I had to pick up a couple of other things, anyway, so I used them to hopefully "camouflage" . I showed the price on my phone and the CSR was fine with that, but since it was a $30 difference she had to call a manager. The manager quickly approved it. The cashier then rang up the other stuff, then I handed her the coupon and pre-order card. She scanned the UPC for the pre-order as well as the UPC for the coupon to get the free Lightcore Hex on pickup. Of course it beeped. It drew her attention to how things were ringing up. She saw that it was dropping another $30 and couldn't figure it out. She had to call 2 other people over. I told her that the pre-order gave a discount, too, and that it was in their ad. She grabbed an ad and was trying to find it when one of the other people (presumably a manager) said that if it rings up to let it go. Still debating on trying it again with the 3DS version. Also debating on selling the extra figures and portal (I already have 2 portals). I figured I could get a few bucks out of the figures, but we accidentally threw away the web codes the first time. Would that really hurt the value of these if I decided to keep the web codes? I figure they probably aren't worth much, anyway, since most people probably have them.

I was able to pick one up today and had another failure. The failure happened when the old lady had to call over the manager because of the McDonald's coupon. She was very suspicious of it. I just walked away when they said I couldn't get it.

I really think that it helps to buy a bunch of stuff to return later, if you can. The first cashier didn't realize how cheap the Skylanders set was because the rest was so much.

Managed to get one about an hour ago for $11.05 after RedCard.  Got shot down on the McD coupon though....not because it made it some crazy low price or anything though, they just said that they were told not to accept printed coupons any more.  Oh well, they were nice about it at least and theres no way I can complain about $11.05 for a $70 game.

I got a Wii U one for $1 and a 3DS copy for $11... because I wanted a spyro I bit on the old 3ds pack as well from amazon for $30 along with all of this i found a bunch of cheap figures... total 3 starter kits and 12 different figures(14 if you count doubles) a little over $60... looked like a steal to me.

I got a Wii U one for $1 and a 3DS copy for $11... because I wanted a spyro I bit on the old 3ds pack as well from amazon for $30 along with all of this i found a bunch of cheap figures... total 3 starter kits and 12 different figures(14 if you count doubles) a little over $60... looked like a steal to me.
Where did you find the cheap figures? Or are you counting the figures from the Starter Sets?

Just got one for Xbox and one for iPad. Cashier said she was going to get her one after work heh. Thanks for the tip!

For those that can't get the PM and Pre-Order the iPad one doesn't require PM right now. If you need it that is.

Just got one for Xbox and one for iPad. Cashier said she was going to get her one after work heh. Thanks for the tip!

For those that can't get the PM and Pre-Order the iPad one doesn't require PM right now. If you need it that is.
Ipad doesn't stack with pre order promo

I picked up a PS3 one and a 360 one today with some GC credit from the PS1 trade ins.

The more important part is that I realized a way to help avoid getting denied once the second discount(preorder card) hits.

It should total out after that if that is the last item rung up. Which means it lets you swipe your credit card/gift card immediately then.

Therefore, the transaction will be complete if you swipe it fast enough.

Thanks OP!  First Target I was shot down.  Had to go to customer service for PM, she did that no problem.  Then as she grabbed the pre-order card she says, "you know I can't do both the price match and pre-order promo, right?"  I almost raged, but said keep everything and just walked out.  

Second Target I had to go to CS as well, but had a new or non-caring rep.  She called for an override number for the PM, got it over the walkie.  Then scanned my items and the pre-order card.  She gave it a funny look and gave me my total.  Then I say, "Oh, I also have this manufacturer coupon."  Scanned and paid.  Got my x360 version, didn't get the 3DS version that I wanted, oh well.  Great deal if you can get away with it!

Denied - Arnold, MO       Success - Fenton, MO

Thanks OP. I was able to pick up a :ps3: copy and 2 blu-rays for $6.00. Manager came over to do the PM and did it for $30.00 instead of taking that amount off. I had the paper TRU ad and it said "save $30". I guess it confused her. In any event, the register still took $10.00 off for the coupon. Great deal.

I finally managed to get a PS3 version at my second attempt with no problems. The cashier did question herself whether or not they could price match and use coupons, I told her that they should and that it was in their corporate policy. She nodded and went along with the transaction and I walked away with my Skylanders Giants in hand. 

Note: I did buy a few things so as not to create wild suspicions. So like the others have said, if you want a higher chance at success with this deal you should buy a few things.

Where did you find the cheap figures? Or are you counting the figures from the Starter Sets?
Well I got 7 different ones in the starter packs(2 doubles... Then I got one repackaged bird for $7(the package looked new to me tho), a giant for $10 using that target groupon, and then 2 for $16 from toys r us(one being a legendary one) and also a $5.50 bird robot thing from amazon. Grand total $51.50... I guess it was even less than I thought

going to attempt this without the mcdonalds coupon and hopefully get this for $11 with deserve card. Starter packs have 3 figures right? I already have a portal and 9 figures from the first game so already have all the elements.

I wrote this for another forum but wanted to share it with you all.

Skylanders Sale Song

Dreams like this don't come around often,
even the coldest of hearts would certainly soften,
at the most amazing deal that came out this week,
it made me breathless, excited and I could barely speak.

A Skylander Giants starter pack,
could be had by all who currently lack,
At 99 cents with a pre-order of Swap-Force,
at your friendly neighborhood Target of course!

Without hesitation I purchased my bundle,
my deal making abilities made the manager humble
Let us all be joyous on this momentous day,
as your Punch Pop Fizz is ready to play!

Trying this today.  I'll be happy with getting a (Wii) set for my nephews for $11...and ecstatic if I can get it for $1.

Also hoping they have a 360 set that I can get for myself.  I've stayed away from Skylanders because I was worries about being addicted.  Heh.  But at the low price, I'll take the chance.

Trying this today. I'll be happy with getting a (Wii) set for my nephews for $11...and ecstatic if I can get it for $1.

Also hoping they have a 360 set that I can get for myself. I've stayed away from Skylanders because I was worries about being addicted. Heh. But at the low price, I'll take the chance.
As long as you can stick to one guy per element to 100% the game the cost is not that bad.

thanks OP I got mine for $11 they wouldnt take the final coupon but $11 is a steal lol

accidentally grabbed a Wii reserve card but I wont pick up Swap Force right away anyways

I just have the bad habit of "collecting". I don't want the toys to get their hooks in me. :lol:
That's me all the way we only need one more guy and we will have every base series one, series two, and lightcore version of every guy.

That's me all the way we only need one more guy and we will have every base series one, series two, and lightcore version of every guy.
I've managed to keep us at about 2 per element on average, though the number and amount spent have still gotten far higher than I anticipated.

This worked beautifully for me. I got 2 Xbox 360 versions and 2 3DS versions for a grand total of $6.12. A 360 and 3DS version for myself, a 360 version for my brother, and a 3DS version for my lovely fiancee. The supervisor guy was amazed. After I finished buying the fourth, he said "Man... That's... so... COOL!" Things couldn't have went any better.

This worked beautifully for me. I got 2 Xbox 360 versions and 2 3DS versions for a grand total of $6.12. A 360 and 3DS version for myself, a 360 version for my brother, and a 3DS version for my lovely fiancee. The supervisor guy was amazed. After I finished buying the fourth, he said "Man... That's... so... COOL!" Things couldn't have went any better.
All in one transaction? I'm wanting to get a Wii version for my nephews, and either a 360 or Wii U version for myself. Was planning on doing two transactions. But, if it all works on one, that'd be swell.

1st Target, PM and Coupon worked perfectly. Manager standing there refused to scan and apply coupon. I went ahead and bought for $10.

2nd Target, PM done, McD coupon applied no issue and then the cashier scanned res card and said "Wow. that's crazy. Hold on... I guess that's right." and let it through.

I think it all comes down to who you get. Some won;t even think about it and some junior detectives have something to say.

Just back from target in athens GA worked fine after they got the ipad to work. Out the door with the game and pull ups $11.89. 10 of it was the pullups

success at getting it for $11 and some change. Didn't want to push the mcd coupon because she was hesitating on the pricematch. Took them a while to bring it up on their little iPad thing. She was shocked at the price of course. Even called other cashiers over to see the bargain I got. I just grinned and walked away.

bread's done
Back