Skylanders Giants Starter packs(all systems) $11 or YMMV $1 @ Target after TRU PM and $1.00 reserve and $10.00 MCD Coupon

ajh2298

CAGiversary!
Feedback
181 (100%)
I was able to pickup a Skylanders Giants Starter Pack at Target this afternoon for $1.00 after a PM to TRU $39.99 price a $10.00 off McDonalds Coupon and a $1.00 reserve for the Swap Force Game.

Link to McDonalds $10.00 off Coupon .pdf (good till 6/30/13)

http://www.happymeal.com/en_US/downloads/12ACT117_SG_McD_Coupon_Final.pdf

Target is currently running a promotion to get $30 off the Skylanders Giants starter pack for any system if you buy the $1 reservation for the next game "Swap Force".

Toys-R-Us page showing the $39.99 price for all systems.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?sr=1&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&kw=062313starter&origkw=062313starter&kwCatId=&view=all

Most you should pay is $11.00 after PM and $1.00 reserve card. If they take the $10.00 off coupon it should only be a $1.00 plus tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything scanned fine but i got some idiot who called the manager over for no reason (I bought other items so the total wasn't $1) and the manager looked over the entire transaction, voided the coupon saying theres no expiration date on it. He actually went into the system to manually remove the coupon after it scanned, great job target for going out of your way to piss off customers. On top of that the PM was a hassle as the kid looking up the PM took forever and tried to deny me the PM because on toys r us website it says skylanders is for ages 10+ and on the box it says ages 6+ (what a joke how do these clowns get a job?) after I convince him its the same product he again asked the same manager if its ok to PM and that manager stared at the website for like 5 minutes asking if this is toys r us real website! Ended up buying the game with PM no coupon and a sense that they are total retards.

Everything scanned fine but i got some idiot who called the manager over for no reason (I bought other items so the total wasn't $1) and the manager looked over the entire transaction, voided the coupon saying theres no expiration date on it. He actually went into the system to manually remove the coupon after it scanned, great job target for going out of your way to piss off customers. On top of that the PM was a hassle as the kid looking up the PM took forever and tried to deny me the PM because on toys r us website it says skylanders is for ages 10+ and on the box it says ages 6+ (what a joke how do these clowns get a job?) after I convince him its the same product he again asked the same manager if its ok to PM and that manager stared at the website for like 5 minutes asking if this is toys r us real website! Ended up buying the game with PM no coupon and a sense that they are total retards.
I don't understand these barely above minimum wage employees sometimes...

Should have slapped someone, there's an expiration date of 6/30/2013 right on the front.

What happened?
CS person knew about the deal with the pre-order card. They told me no before they even looked up the TRU ad. She said it was either or. I could price match TRU or I could do the pre-order deal. She argued that Target's price was the same as TRU. Ridiculous, I know.

That's a crazy story. Ages 6+ vs Ages 10+ ??? Give me a break Target. I guess I would have been a smart ass and asked the employee to call up Toys R Us and see if the UPCs matched for the Target $69.99 ages 6+ item vs the Toys r Us $39.99 ages 10+ item.

I'm glad you ended up getting the game though.

I was able to pick this up for the full deal at $0.99 in Houston, TX this morning. I bought some other households items so that the grand total wouldn't look so ridiculous. But actually I didn't even need the other stuff, since the girl at guest services was so impressed at this deal and she wanted to get a copy herself.

Huge kudos to ajh2298 for posting this. I have always wanted to try out any of the Skylanders games, but haven't been able to find them below $30. So once again, this is an amazing deal!

It is funny how YMMV this is.  I went to back to the same target to get another one for the kids on wii.  It worked fine in the morning, then went back in the afternoon, a new CSR was there and shot it down right away saying its either the price match or the the $30 off promo.  Went to another target and the CSR had to get the price match approved since it was so much (which didn't happen the first time) and thought, crap the manager is not going to let this happen.  She said we're just glad you decided to shop with us. and changed the price and then i said i have a preorder coupon, and a manufacturers coupon and it was $1 and she didn't bat an eye, and walked out with another $1 skylanders.  I would suggest calling them coupons if you don't want to by a bunch of crap to distract from the total.  But this is totally up to the CSR you deal with.

something that might assist EVERYONE when i tried this yesterday and was denied (either the price match or preorder ticket)

i told them (without knowing actually) the sale was in Toys R Us' weekly flier, and they pulled a binder out from under the desk with all the weeks current fliers from other competitors.  there is was on the second or third page.

instead of them using the stupid iPad to price match on their website (which isnt working for some reason)  have them check the circular.  it saves an immense amount of time.

i know this might not be used in every store, but ask them to check that instead of the iPad if they have it.  it may save you some headache and time since the wireless in the building is very bad.

but at my first target, they gave me the "either or" shpiel.  i am going to try my second target later today, hoping i have some better luck.

Yep, it's all down to how much the people you deal with care.

i told them (without knowing actually) the sale was in Toys R Us' weekly flier, and they pulled a binder out from under the desk with all the weeks current fliers from other competitors. there is was on the second or third page.
Top half of the second page is the Skylanders sale.

Target in athens, ga gave me no problems. Price match then coupon then preorder. Added a PSN card so it wasnt just like a dollar. Thanks CAGs!

I got it for 11 dollars. I pm'ed bought other crap used the Preorder card and then the coupon. It shows each deduction but the total came out to be 11 with Preorder card. They didn't have the 360 version the other location I stopped by didn't have the Preorder cards.
Okay yes I bought it but only because the deal was great I am not going to collect the figures and I don't intend to play it.

I didn't want to bother preordering the next one, but I did find a few PS3 Owner Packs on Clearence for $17.98. Used the $10 McDonalds coupon on that (I noticed after I used it that it said "Starter Packs Only", but it rang out), to make it come to $7.98.

I got it for 11 dollars. I pm'ed bought other crap used the Preorder card and then the coupon. It shows each deduction but the total came out to be 11 with Preorder card. They didn't have the 360 version the other location I stopped by didn't have the Preorder cards.
Okay yes I bought it but only because the deal was great I am not going to collect the figures and I don't intend to play it.
Well if its a PS3 version Ill buy it from you for the non coupon price of 11 + shipping if you honestly have no plans for it. If you really dont care and would sell it for that price let me know. Even if its a 360 version I would

I spent around 20 minutes at customer service this morning for absolutely nothing.

First, the woman price-matched the TRU ad, then scanned the coupon and the $1 Swap Force pre-order card, bringing the total to $1.xx. Score.

But then she got nervous, called another worker over, who said that the price was an error. I showed them their own policies on the Target corporate website, but all that got me was a talk with the manager. Who, by the way, talked to me like I was mentally impaired before finally (and rudely, might I add) giving me the "either or" line.

At least there was a Dollar Store nearby. Picked up some great hardcover books.

On that note, does anyone have a Punch Pop Fizz from the 3DS pack that they'd be willing to part with? I don't want to pay a crazy Ebay price to get it.

On that note, does anyone have a Punch Pop Fizz from the 3DS pack that they'd be willing to part with? I don't want to pay a crazy Ebay price to get it.
Shouldn't have pushed your luck with the coupon then and just paid $11 for him.

Got rejected at second store. Really wanted PP Fizz, oh well I guess.

I got downright brave with this today and proceeded to walk up to CS with 2 Wii versions and 1 3ds version.

I explained to the lady the situation and what I intended to do and that I wanted 3 separate transactions.

After some back and forth over using THEIR iPad she finally located it and was able to call a manager up front to verify the price match due to the cost. 

When it dropped to $1 before tax she looks at me and says "is that even legal?".  I said yes ma'am it is....you did all of the work I just stood here and clearly it rang through without issue.  She agreed and allowed me to proceed with the purchase.

So my total take is:  1 Xbox 360 copy (for me), 2 Wii copies (1 for girlfriend and 1 for her nephew), and 1 3ds copy (for girlfriend or if she doesn't want it for me to have Punch Pop Fizz).

I have spend a grand total of $6.56 after tax for merchandise that purchased at retail would cost $321 after tax in my state.  All thanks to the wonderful people on this website.   So for that I want to say thank you.  This is certainly a game I would have never spent any money on but being able to get it for that price and realizing I can play a good majority of the game without spending any further money it was well worth it.

Shouldn't have pushed your luck with the coupon then and just paid $11 for him.

Got rejected at second store. Really wanted PP Fizz, oh well I guess.
I totally would have taken it at $11, but for some reason they wouldn't let me have it for any less than $29.99. I stopped questioning at some point. They had no idea what they were talking about.

While it's not anywhere near as good of a deal as paying $1 for the starter sets, you can get a 3DS starter for $20.99+tax without hassle if you really wanted the punch pop fizz.  Target's own website shows the starter set on sale for $59.99, and they can't argue against you adjusting the price to their own website, then the $30 off for pre order and $10 off coupon (plus $1 for pre order card).  

Just a thought for anyone whose store is refusing to honor both the PM and Pre order card, but still wants the Punch Pop Fizz figure for less than ebay prices.

Just went and got denied. "I can do one or the other." Didn't bother fighting. I'll go back tomorrow when that guy isn't working.

Yeah, they said they'd honor the $30 off they just didn't have any $5 off cards. As far as I could tell as long as they'll do the PM, everything else should just work when it's rung up ... if they want it to. :lol:

Rung up to 11 dollars for me and the guy cancelled the transaction and rung it up without the swap force card, then told me you can't use promotions with PMs. I told him I knew of several people that did it and he told me "I can't do that." Fvck it.

While it's not anywhere near as good of a deal as paying $1 for the starter sets, you can get a 3DS starter for $20.99+tax without hassle if you really wanted the punch pop fizz. Target's own website shows the starter set on sale for $59.99, and they can't argue against you adjusting the price to their own website, then the $30 off for pre order and $10 off coupon (plus $1 for pre order card).

Just a thought for anyone whose store is refusing to honor both the PM and Pre order card, but still wants the Punch Pop Fizz figure for less than ebay prices.
They actually can since it is technically a different entity from the store.

They did it for years before they allowed the pm to the website.

They actually can since it is technically a different entity from the store.

They did it for years before they allowed the pm to the website.
Ah, I didn't realize that, for some reason I was thinking only wal-mart didn't match their own site.

My friend was able to get the 3DS starter set he wanted for the $20.99 plus tax even though he was denied the Toys R US price match with pre-order card, so probably still YMMV (the CSR was quick to adjust the price to their own site where he had refused to match the competitor).

Just figured is worth an option for anyone who might be interested.

No problems at my Target. Took the Starter Pack, a large bag of cat food, and the preorder card to Customer Service. I kept the card out of sight initially until she processed the price match and scanned the cat food, and then handed her the card and coupons (one for the food, one for Skylanders). She scanned them, scanned the discount card I have access to, I swiped my REDcard, and was out the door with about $85 worth of stuff for $9.74.

It took forever but the nice lady at customer service finally figured out the iPad and price matched for me. Out the door for less than $2. I had my wife come up after me with a different version and the girl was so excited to do it again she called over some other employees and even explained to the other customers in line how to get the deal. She is my new favorite cashier at Target.

^Now that's what I'm talking about haha....true CUSTOMER SERVICE.

If they seem to be having issues with the iPad (both the ladies I interacted with did) talk them into going to the TRU website on the iPad and typing in the UPC code off the model you are buying and it should come right up.  They both attempted to do the Price Match option on the iPad but it wasn't redirecting them right which caused issue.

It took forever but the nice lady at customer service finally figured out the iPad and price matched for me. Out the door for less than $2. I had my wife come up after me with a different version and the girl was so excited to do it again she called over some other employees and even explained to the other customers in line how to get the deal. She is my new favorite cashier at Target.
Since she enjoys it so much you should pick up some copies for the rest of us. ;)

Since she enjoys it so much you should pick up some copies for the rest of us. ;)

This. For less than $2 and having a willing CSR and store, I would have cleaned them out and sold them here for cost + shipping to those who were unable to ascertain one.

Worked great! No issues. Thanks OP! Hardest thing to do was find a Target with the reservation cards still available. Once I found one, price matching, -30 from reservation, and coupon all worked no problem. I have the original game and nearly all characters... was kinda hesitant on picking this one up since it will mean for characters for me to buy, but at less than $2, can't pass it up. Many thanks again!

Wow, my local target was such a breeze for this deal. I grabbed 3 starter packs, 2 PS3 and the last 360 version and walked up to customer service. Once I got up their I told the CSR that I wanted to price match the Toys R' Us price, which of course required 10 minutes of waiting for a "team leader" to show up and okay the price adjustment. I then presented the $10 off McDonalds coupons along with the preorder cards which made the CSR  call another team leader because he didn't know if I could do that. Once the team leader came up, he was very nice and scanned all three coupons and all three cards without a word of complaint and I walked out the door with all three for $3.11.

I got lucky today and managed to get a 3DS starter pack for $1. Thanks again OP. I'm such a Skylander noob that I didn't even notice that there was a different character in this version. I like the way he looks too, sort of like a chubbier demented Gizmo from the Gremlins.

Do any of the other consoles have different characters in the starter packs?

Heck yeah. I love hearing stories like this. She sounds so nice, I would have offered to buy her dinner... but that might be something your wife might disapprove of. ;)

This. For less than $2 and having a willing CSR and store, I would have cleaned them out and sold them here for cost + shipping to those who were unable to ascertain one.
That sounds like a nice thing to do for CAGs, but he might not want to get greedy and ruin his chances of getting Target pricematching deals in the future (if that same employee still works there for a while). But she sounds like she likes her job so she will probably be there in the future if he's looking for a deals at Target down the road.

That sounds like a nice thing to do for CAGs, but he might not want to get greedy and ruin his chances of getting Target pricematching deals in the future (if that same employee still works there for a while). But she sounds like she likes her job so she will probably be there in the future if he's looking for a deals at Target down the road.

Fair enough. It is nice to have a go-to for things like this. ;)

I'm just used to looking out for everyone else from all my escapades over on the blu-ray forums. I was THE guy for Disney Metalpak preorder cases when they still offered them. :razz:

Fair enough. It is nice to have a go-to for things like this. ;)

I'm just used to looking out for everyone else from all my escapades over on the blu-ray forums. I was THE guy for Disney Metalpak preorder cases when they still offered them. :razz:
Awesome. That is a really really nice thing to do. I collected the Disney Metalpaks as well. I wish I would have known you back then. Off the top of my head I think the only preorder ones I was able to find were Brave, Finding Nemo, Lion King, Pirates 4, and maybe 1 or 2 others.

I imagine shipping them is a pain in the ass too because bubble mailers would get them all dented up.

Does anyone really care if their boxes are dented? Hell, I'd be happy with just a Punch Pop Fizz. Still mad that I have no Toys R Us near me so that I can price match this at Target.

Finally grabbed a 360 starter tonight, just a tip if you're having issues with this like I was last night ... place the coupon on top of the preorder card at the bottom of your basket. Say nothing about it, simply request the pricematch and then have them ring up any other items. If you're lucky they will just scan both and it will simply go through ...

My biggest issue last night was asking to apply the coupon ... it seemed to flag the Target supervisors to look really closely at the rest of the transaction, if they didn't start arguing about applying the coupon in the first place.

So just silently slip it in there and see what happens ;-)

Does anyone really care if their boxes are dented? Hell, I'd be happy with just a Punch Pop Fizz. Still mad that I have no Toys R Us near me so that I can price match this at Target.
No, because it was a very very off topic post about metal bluray cases. Sorry for the confusion.

Something like this:

$T2eC16R,%21%29%21E9s2fCHWEBQRrWis,uQ~~60_35.JPG

Finally grabbed a 360 starter tonight, just a tip if you're having issues with this like I was last night ... place the coupon on top of the preorder card at the bottom of your basket. Say nothing about it, simply request the pricematch and then have them ring up any other items. If you're lucky they will just scan both and it will simply go through ...

My biggest issue last night was asking to apply the coupon ... it seemed to flag the Target supervisors to look really closely at the rest of the transaction, if they didn't start arguing about applying the coupon in the first place.

I like that strategy. I wish I would have thought of that. I'm glad you finally had some good fortune. Congrats.

:shock:

...the type of thought that could totally ruin an innocent sleepover. :shame:

Do any of the other consoles have different characters in the starter packs?
The 3DS version is the only one with a special variant. The rest all have Jet-Vac, Cynder and Tree Rex. So you get Punch Pop Fizz instead of Jet-Vac. The 3DS version of Spyro's Adventure also has different characters, including an exclusive Dark Spyro variant.

This is probably a really stupid question: Is there any benefit storywise to playing though Spyro's Adventure before Giants?
Not really. My son got Giants first. We were able to follow along. I'm sure there may be some things (like who is Kaos and how did he get to the real world to find the portal), but it's mostly it's own story. We're now playing Spyro's Adventure, so we haven't fully gotten through with it. So there could be other stuff. But nothing that wouldn't keep you from enjoying and understanding what goes on in Giants.

Every time I click on the link for the coupon, it does not take me directly to it. Do I have to do something special to get it?

Every time I click on the link for the coupon, it does not take me directly to it. Do I have to do something special to get it?
If your on your phone, yes. Get on a computer, lol.

Edit: by the way I forgot to mention, my GameStop had 3 polar whirlwinds still available, but they ring up 10.99. (Little more expensive than a normal character). I picked it up cause I am actually really enjoying the game. Just wish I had more time to play it. (Work has me going for 10+ hours everyday for the past month so far).

Well, just stopped at the third target by me to pick up the 3DS version for punch pop. Was the smoothest transaction by far! $2 well spent again, since I am going to try to sell off the rest of the kit off and make back all my money and then some. Wonder how much this thing goes for minus punch pop.

Dang, should have done this yesterday. I'll try it today at another Terget (SNL!).

Got it for 10.99. They gave me some crap about "no price matching and coupon" and I really didn't have time to pull up the link. Might just return it and try again at another target. Also, the second guy they had to call over (3 total people involved) said something about an "email from corporate" after he gave me the "no PM + coupon". So this might be going down like the other PM + preorder deals.

Well, just stopped at the third target by me to pick up the 3DS version for punch pop. Was the smoothest transaction by far! $2 well spent again, since I am going to try to sell off the rest of the kit off and make back all my money and then some. Wonder how much this thing goes for minus punch pop.
Well without PPF it depends how lucky you are, usually around $10-15 on ebay. Right now there's a couple auctions of just the portal and game going for around $20 which is quite abnormal, so just depends on who you find.

Well without PPF it depends how lucky you are, usually around $10-15 on ebay. Right now there's a couple auctions of just the portal and game going for around $20 which is quite abnormal, so just depends on who you find.
Yeah the values kind of tanked on the 3ds versions of this and the first game when you take the exclusive figure out. I got a 3ds copy of the first game just missing Dark Spyro a couple of weeks ago for like $15.00 shipped. I have seen auctions for the Giants version of the game with just the portal and the game go for $10.00

bread's done
Back