Smartphone Thread

iPhone 4. Before that an iPhone 3GS. Before that a dumb phone. I was going to upgrade to the iPhone 5, but decided to save my money. Maybe I'll upgrade to a 5s or maybe wait for the 6. Not sure.

Went from DroidX on VZW to unlocked Galaxy Nexus on Straight Talk. $47 per month, no contract & no waiting for updates.

I went from the original DROID to a DROID Bionic. Screen size is much larger, the thing is a lot faster, and I'm now on Verizon's 4g network instead of 3g. Luckily I still have then unlimited data plan, since I use it constantly -- might have to see what my options are if they take it away with my next upgrade, but the 19% monthly discount for working for the state is hard to give up.

God I wonder how people still cope with an iPhone 3G/S my iPhone was on its last legs and that was quick when it launched!

Still rocking my Nexus S 4G. LOVE stock Android. Just haven't found anything new that I want even though its definitely getting long in the tooth.

iPhone 4S definitely because of its ease of use. iPone in general is way overrated but it does so many small things that I guess I'm picky about.

idk if someone addressed it already but shouldn't Microsoft be Windows Phone, not Surface?

Anyways I have a Nokia Lumia 920 and I love it! I have an iPod Touch for my iOS needs and plan to get an Android tablet (perhaps the new Nexus they release this year) so I can enjoy all 3 of them.

Sorry Blackberry :p

Currently have an iPhone 4S with a cracked rear cover. I've customised my iOS via jailbreak, nothing illegal, just custom theme! I'll post a picture of it sometime soon... I've made it look a lot nicer than the default iOS. It looks lot more like an Android with the them... I really hate the default iOS, as it's way too clunky for my liking.

Still have my Venture its still slow but works, I notice when Virgin mobile updates it makes it slower and slower haha.

EVO 3d. Got it about two months after it came out. If you would have told me that Sprint was going to dump them off on VM then I would have never bought it. I recently rooted it and it feels like it extended its life a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
iPhone 3G here.

Gots me 32gb phone, but the hardware is so shit it can't even open any programs.

Trying to figure out if I want the S4 or wait for whatever new iPhone that comes out.

Oh god I can imagine how bad it is for you. I remember years ago there was an iOS update I did for my then 3G and it pretty much bricked it made the thing super slow.

Getting the S4 in a few hours. Lol, I got white and my wife got the black one. But they didn't get enough black.due to the delay so I found a store with a spare white one and they said they would holdit so she is getting it as I.type this.

This Evo has been such a pain.

Oh, and lol at IGN HTC One video review. Summary :"buy it because it looks nice"

HTC DNA (butterfly).

Awesome phone. love it. wireless charging is neat. more convenient that I expected and I ended up getting 4 charging pad and have them everywhere.

[quote name='saunderscowie']I heard the mega is vastly under powered compared to the note 2 is that right?[/QUOTE]

Having a Note 1... I don't really care... You'll AWAYS be "under powered" and obsolete...

Just got an iPhone 5 and holy shit am I used to Android.

My last Apple product was a first gen iPod touch. Can't get past not having any widgets, UI customization is minimal. The only pro for me is the dense pixeled screen and a great camera. Going back to Nexus 4.

Nexus 4, here.

Had a Nexus One before this. I needed an unlocked phone and the cheap price tag didn't hurt, either. The screen is amazing compared to my old Nexus One, too. It would be hard for me to leave the Nexus line, now.

Looks like the rumor of manufacturers releasing their own "Nexus" is coming true. Despite LG being the official Nexus manufacturer, Google announced that there will be a special Galaxy S4 with vanilla android and Sony has released a beta build of vanilla android for the Xperia ZL. And now HTC is also rumored to be working on a vanilla build for the One. I'm not going to be in the market until next year or Tmobile kills my $6 unlimited data plan, but this is great to see.

HTC Evo 4G LTE because I wanted my first android phone with microsd slot and rootable. Happy with the phone but Sprint is killing me with the slow 4G rollout and subpar 3G. Might jump ship to Verizon when my contract is because they have the best service in my area. Currently rocking the Jellybam rom and it is nice and supports lots of phones.

[quote name='headpiece747']HTC Evo 4G LTE because I wanted my first android phone with microsd slot and rootable. Happy with the phone but Sprint is killing me with the slow 4G rollout and subpar 3G. Might jump ship to Verizon when my contract is because they have the best service in my area. Currently rocking the Jellybam rom and it is nice and supports lots of phones.[/QUOTE]

4g is rolling out now around my work. The infuriating part is that during this testing phase they keep flipping the towers back and forth. So I'll be enjoying a nice stream on 4g, and then it cuts out, and a minute later its 3g again.

I am thinking of getting a new phone sometime this year, currently using iPhone 4. Will wait and see what iOS7 brings to the table as could be interesting otherwise might make a switch.

As I said before I would consider Windows Phone 8 but lack of apps is a turn off. So I guess its between HTC, Samsung or Sony as the big three. I just wondered on peoples opinions / experiences with sony xpera phones - how does the "sony ui skin" compare to that of touch wiz and htc sense etc?

I am thinking of getting a new phone sometime this year, currently using iPhone 4. Will wait and see what iOS7 brings to the table as could be interesting otherwise might make a switch.

As I said before I would consider Windows Phone 8 but lack of apps is a turn off. So I guess its between HTC, Samsung or Sony as the big three. I just wondered on peoples opinions / experiences with sony xpera phones - how does the "sony ui skin" compare to that of touch wiz and htc sense etc?
The Xperia skin is exactly like what it sounds: just a skin. Their initial release of the Xperia X10 UI was embedded so deeply into the Android build that you couldn't really customize anything without making the phone almost useless. They learned pretty fast and the following iterations of it became much less embedded to the point of almost being a simple UI skin, unlike how HTC and Samsung really try to make it their own. Sense and TouchWiz are really just personal preference, but I'm not a fan of either. The main draw of Xperia phones is the design and integration of features like Walkman and Cybershot technologies, not to mention that it's as close to AOSP as you can get without being a Nexus. Nokia might still be king of the megapixels, but Sony is rumored to be coming out with a competitor to rival the best out there. That's the phone I'm waiting for and foregoing the Xperia Z/ZL.

I'm only mildly content with my Galaxy Nexus because it's a Nexus, but I really dislike the hardware.

The Xperia skin is exactly like what it sounds: just a skin. Their initial release of the Xperia X10 UI was embedded so deeply into the Android build that you couldn't really customize anything without making the phone almost useless. They learned pretty fast and the following iterations of it became much less embedded to the point of almost being a simple UI skin, unlike how HTC and Samsung really try to make it their own. Sense and TouchWiz are really just personal preference, but I'm not a fan of either. The main draw of Xperia phones is the design and integration of features like Walkman and Cybershot technologies, not to mention that it's as close to AOSP as you can get without being a Nexus. Nokia might still be king of the megapixels, but Sony is rumored to be coming out with a competitor to rival the best out there. That's the phone I'm waiting for and foregoing the Xperia Z/ZL.

I'm only mildly content with my Galaxy Nexus because it's a Nexus, but I really dislike the hardware.

After researching i've decided on Nexus 4, I am going to wait and see what apple show at WWDC if nothing exciting then i'm out in terms of iPhone. I just hope they don't announce a Nexus 5 right after I get it! I have seen a few rumours of a new Nexus device lately so best to wait I guess

I currently have a Kyocera Rise. I currently use Virgin Mobile. ($35/month. Unlimited Data.)

Am thinking about getting a Motorola Photon Q. And then switching over to Sprint. (Wife is currently on Sprint with her iPhone 5)

I really like phones with a QWERTY slider. My thumbs are just too big to text.

Just got my Blackberry Z10 a few days ago. My Dad was testing one and I used it and fell in love. Unloaded my iPhone 4S within the next five hours to someone from Craigslist and used the money to buy one. I'm a geek-- I'll admit it, but I love the phone. Being able to remove/replace the battery and add a memory card makes it a very good phone for me, not to mention that it's my first 4G LTE phone. Haven't got the chance to use LTE yet sadly, as AT&T doesn't have it in my area... the screen is absolutely beatufiul-- true multitasking as well. I love it...

I currently use a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I love this phone. I don't know if I could go with a phone with a smaller screen now.

I currently use a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I love this phone. I don't know if I could go with a phone with a smaller screen now.
Yeah, I feel the same way about my Note 1. My upgrade (assuming I'm not getting tagged by the AT&T change) in January should be nice for a Note 3, assuming there is one.

Same with screen size here - went from iPhone 4 to Nexus 4 so 3.5" to 4.7" boy using the iPhone now it seems so tiny. It's definitely something I don't miss from it.

Switched my HTC One X to prepaid GoPhone. Unlimited Texting for $25/mo but no Data, Wi-Fi Only. Luckily everywhere you go around town here has Wi-Fi, so it works for me.

If I go out of town though, I tend to get a little bored. :joystick:

I was thinking of hopping on my fiance's Family Mobile (T-Mobile via Walmart) plan for $35/mo so I can get data access, but I'm not feeling the whole $299 price tag for the highest of the high end phone they have available: Galaxy S2. I read you can use any T-Mobile network phone, but some features may not work properly. It's hard to find information about this... anyone here use Walmart Family Mobile?

[quote name="HydroX" post="10733151" timestamp="1371419083"]
Switched my HTC One X to prepaid GoPhone. Unlimited Texting for $25/mo but no Data, Wi-Fi Only. Luckily everywhere you go around town here has Wi-Fi, so it works for me.

If I go out of town though, I tend to get a little bored. :joystick:

I was thinking of hopping on my fiance's Family Mobile (T-Mobile via Walmart) plan for $35/mo so I can get data access, but I'm not feeling the whole $299 price tag for the highest of the high end phone they have available: Galaxy S2. I read you can use any T-Mobile network phone, but some features may not work properly. It's hard to find information about this... anyone here use Walmart Family Mobile?[/quote]
You shouldcall the Family mobile customer service and ask them about bringing your phone over and any data settings you may need to change. If they want your business, they will try to help you.

I have Consumer Cellular with my N4 and I opt out of data & txt - voice & WiFi is plenty for me, for now. Con. Cell. lists instructions on their website for data settings for GSM phones from other carriers. Maybe Walmart family mobile does the same?

Virgin Mobile actually has a really great unlimited data and text, with 400 minutes of talk. $35 a month.

I currently have it, and really like it. I'd like a better phone, but one with a qwerty slide out keyboard. Like the Kyocera Rise I currently have.

Really wish more places has a bare bones plan. I don't do that much talking and texting besides to the wife and family. (Maybe 50 texts a month).

And as far a data goes, I usually just use my home wi-fi and switch over to work wi-fi when I'm at work. I rarely use 3G.

So I have had the Galaxy S4 on Verizon for a little over a week now.  Coming from the Droid Charge, this is a major upgrade.  Yeah the whole eye tracking and hand waving is just fluff but i am glad to have a phone that even using it on standby mode inside of the school building where I work where I get 1 or 2 bars I can still have 50% by the end of the day, which was better than the DC.

I am bummed though...several EA titles I bought when they were 25 or 99 cents back when they were on sale when I had the DC will NOT install on the G4 :(

I'm really happy with the $35 I pay for unliited data and 500 minutes on Virgin Mobile. 

Not thrilled with the choice of phones. Would really like a bigger, better 4G slider with more storage space.

Can't justify paying the $100 for Verizon for $65-$85 for Sprint.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy SII, Hercules variant. I got it as a gift and it is my first smartphone.

^That's why I like Straight Talk for $45. Bring your own phone, "unlimited" everything, and no contract.
But then I gotta shell out $400-$500 for the phone.

I like the Motorola Photon Q and the Droid 4.

( Having a slide out QWERTY keyboard is a must)

But then I gotta shell out $400-$500 for the phone.

I like the Motorola Photon Q and the Droid 4.

( Having a slide out QWERTY keyboard is a must)
Does Virgin even have deals on phones?

Either way, that's dirt cheap for service, but you gotta pay to play my friend. That's why I always tell people to do the math on the cost of service with a phone for 2 years to see if going on contract is a better option than having a cheap pre-paid plain while buying a phone at full cost.

For me, I buy a phone every year because I save enough on my monthly bill that I could spend $600+ on a phone every two years per line(I have two) and it would cost the same as having a subsidized phone from a carrier. At least this way, I get to choose what I want to use, which doesn't count as much as it used to with the phone selection these days...haha. Over the last 3 years, I've saved about $300 compared to what it would've cost me on-contract even after spending over $1500 on phones. $300 is crap money over the course of 3 years, but you can't put a price on knowing you're ahead of the game. :D

edit: And for phone news, the Sony Xperia Z Ultra was officially announced today with a 6.44 inch screen. This is like bizarro Zoolander with a phone the size of a tablet instead of the tiny one in the movie. :rofl:

bread's done
Back