Smartphone Thread

Google Play Editions of the S4 and One are currently receiving 4.3 OTA's. I might have to reconsider my next phone choice(Sony Honami) considering it took me a week to get it on my GNex.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about getting the HTC One since Dell currently has a deal on it for $29.99. Anyone have it and want to do a quick comment?

I will have to look into straight talk once my contract is up.  93.xx for Sprint is not worth it.  The 4G LTE seems to be half ass in this area and the service sucks.  I'm thinking about picking up a Note III at some point once it comes out.  If I do I will just buy it out right and see how to switch in August.  45 a month for everything unlimited is nice.  Any where online I can look to see what coverage is like in my area?  I looked it up on the website and the map was all just yellow.   

Well no one answered here about the HTC One, but I read reviews and other stuff elsewhere and ended up biting on the Dell deal, which was way too good to pass up. It should get delivered tomorrow, I can't wait! It should be awesome for gaming too. I've been looking at controllers. Does anyone have recommendations? It seems the Moga Pro is about the best but I'd really like something more portable.

Well no one answered here about the HTC One, but I read reviews and other stuff elsewhere and ended up biting on the Dell deal, which was way too good to pass up. It should get delivered tomorrow, I can't wait! It should be awesome for gaming too. I've been looking at controllers. Does anyone have recommendations? It seems the Moga Pro is about the best but I'd really like something more portable.
Great choice. If I would change my phone right now I would get that. Or that new sony xperia phone. The build quality is probably the best among android phones.

A coworker has the HTC One and I have the HTC DNA and I got cellphone envy... 

Sure, my phone is a bit older but have 1080p and wireless QI charging but damn, HTC One is damn sexy and I want that camera!

/whine Unfortunately, I need to go replace my screen whenever I can find some time to drive over to get it done...   love the slim profile so phone was bare and now $180 down the drain...  :(   some friends thought I have like special wallpaper/film and thought it was cool....

HTC_DNA_brokenscreen.jpg

Have the Galaxy Note II. Very nice cell but due to its size I don't like carrying it around with me too much.

Lookin to get a galaxy s 4 this week or next week. Researching best deals right now but if anyone has the heads up please let me know!

Well it looks like I can't keep my phone if I go with straight talk from what the checker that I found said.  Odd thing is they sell a Galaxy S3 for the service.  The site I used to check it said that I can't use an LTE phone so that stops the Note 3 unless I get one from T-Mobile or an over seas model.  

Well it looks like I can't keep my phone if I go with straight talk from what the checker that I found said. Odd thing is they sell a Galaxy S3 for the service. The site I used to check it said that I can't use an LTE phone so that stops the Note 3 unless I get one from T-Mobile or an over seas model.
I know this is late, but yeah, you can't use a CDMA device(because you're on Sprint) on a GSM network(Straight Talk, which is reallyT-mobile). The iphone is a bit of an exception though.

Technically, you CAN use an LTE phone on Sprint, but the phone would need to have the radio activated to send/receive data on a specific mHz that is compatible with Sprint's LTE network.

Anyone that wants freedom of choice for their phones really needs to away from Sprint, Verizon, and their MVNO's. GSM is the only way to go unless you want the latest and greatest, but can't afford to pay an unsubsidized price, which you're paying for anyways through increased prices on service. Not that there's anything with either route of course.

I know this is late, but yeah, you can't use a CDMA device(because you're on Sprint) on a GSM network(Straight Talk, which is reallyT-mobile). The iphone is a bit of an exception though.

Technically, you CAN use an LTE phone on Sprint, but the phone would need to have the radio activated to send/receive data on a specific mHz that is compatible with Sprint's LTE network.

Anyone that wants freedom of choice for their phones really needs to away from Sprint, Verizon, and their MVNO's. GSM is the only way to go unless you want the latest and greatest, but can't afford to pay an unsubsidized price, which you're paying for anyways through increased prices on service. Not that there's anything with either route of course.

Based on their with CDMA does work. It only works though if you're on Verizon. I think it also works if you don't have an lte phone with sprint. I would have to convert my phone to Verizon then to straight talk. At least that is my understanding.

Quick question with the new iPhone models what do you think will happen with Verizon user who are due for an upgrade? Right now I can get an iPhone4 8gb for $1.00 or a 16gb 4s for $99.00 for my 2 year upgrade. I am fine with whatever model it is I just want to finally upgrade to an iPhone but the $1.00 8gb is too small for me. Do you think with the new phones coming out the 16gb 4s will drop down in price for people who want to use their upgrade on it?

Quick question with the new iPhone models what do you think will happen with Verizon user who are due for an upgrade? Right now I can get an iPhone4 8gb for $1.00 or a 16gb 4s for $99.00 for my 2 year upgrade. I am fine with whatever model it is I just want to finally upgrade to an iPhone but the $1.00 8gb is too small for me. Do you think with the new phones coming out the 16gb 4s will drop down in price for people who want to use their upgrade on it?
Apple announced that the new "Free" iPhone is going to be a 4S, though it'll still be 8GB.

$99 will net you a 16GB iPhone 5c
$199 for a 32GB iPhone 5c

And then
$199 for 16GB iPhone 5s
$299 for 32GB iPhone 5s
#399 for 32GB iPhone 5s

The 16GB iPhone 5c is probably the best deal if you're not crazy about being on the bleeding edge and still want more than 16GB of storage. Plus the iPhone 5c hardware is running beautifully with iOS7, where 4S is a tad bit slower and then iPhone 4 is just squeaking by with the minimum requirements.

Apple announced that the new "Free" iPhone is going to be a 4S, though it'll still be 8GB.

$99 will net you a 16GB iPhone 5c
$199 for a 32GB iPhone 5c

And then
$199 for 16GB iPhone 5s
$299 for 32GB iPhone 5s
#399 for 32GB iPhone 5s

The 16GB iPhone 5c is probably the best deal if you're not crazy about being on the bleeding edge and still want more than 16GB of storage. Plus the iPhone 5c hardware is running beautifully with iOS7, where 4S is a tad bit slower and then iPhone 4 is just squeaking by with the minimum requirements.
When they make the free phone the 8gb model is there anyway to upgrade to the 16gb for a fee that would be cheaper than the $100.00 fee just to get the better model?

Is anyone standing in line tomorrow morning for the iPhone 5s?  I am thinking about it, but never did it before.  Any strategies on how early to arrive, etc?

Not me, I'll probably just swing by the closest Best Buy after work tomorrow and see what kind of stock they have left on the 32GB iPhone 5c.

If they don't have any I'll check back in a week or two.

Is anyone standing in line tomorrow morning for the iPhone 5s? I am thinking about it, but never did it before. Any strategies on how early to arrive, etc?
Why bother? I'm sure every retailer has them in stock like right now and ready to go for tomorrow.

Waiting in line is more of a fanboy-thing nowadays.

Is anyone standing in line tomorrow morning for the iPhone 5s? I am thinking about it, but never did it before. Any strategies on how early to arrive, etc?
I'll likely just order online. Hope I can get one before heading to my parents on Oct. 2 as my 4s is going to my mom. If shipping is looking a ways out I'll probably just have it sent there as I'll be there until the 9th.

They have done better with stock than they use to, but you'll probably still need to get in line early to ensure getting the model and color you want IF you want to have it tomorrow. Otherwise order what you want online and wait.

I really don't get the line waiting anyway.  I mean I guess maybe if it's your first smart phone I could see the excitement.

But the upgrades are so incremental I'm not really excited about it.  Hell, I'd probably keep my 4s longer if my mom wasn't bugging me wanting it when I upgrade.

So I have no qualms ordering online and waiting however long.  Would like to get it by early October so I can just give my mom the 4s when I'm visiting rather than having to mail it, but that's not the end of the world.

As for model, I'll go with the 16gb black 5s.  Thought about going to 32, but I just don't need much music on my phone since signing up for Spotify.

I got my iPhone 5s(black 16 gb) from Best Buy this morning. Placed an in store pick up order when they went live late last night.

Liking it so far. Nice upgrade from my 4s.

KYOCERA HYDRO. 1=Cheap 2=Does what I need it to do

I just need it to do a few helpful things, I can understand if you had a demanding job to have a +200 phone or got it cheap ;).

Jesus. This guy must be from Slickdeals/FW or a lurker from there.
O. o Umm... Errm... Bought more than one... ? Isn't it one phone per person... ? Dur...

Anyway, thanks CrApple for another great entertainment event. Never disappoint.

O. o Umm... Errm... Bought more than one... ? Isn't it one phone per person... ? Dur...

Anyway, thanks CrApple for another great entertainment event. Never disappoint.
It's two phones per customer. This moron hired about 40ish homeless people from Skid Row LA to stand in line. He also bragged about it to other people waiting in line which he was limited to 12 iPhones when his scheme was blown. Then these homeless people got into a fight with him and other customers because they didn't get paid as promised.

I have a feeling that this will happen to the PS4 and/or XBox One when released.

I've had the Droid razr for a year now. Am thinking of getting the Atrix HD to use with the at&t line I was given or waiting for the Republic wireless Moto X for $299 no contract.

Oh look! I just bought a new phone too! :D

Nokia9300_zpsf9633264.jpg

Only operates on GRPS, no camera, and I don't even think I can get a gmail app on it! :rofl:

I am sort of drawn to the 5c over the 5s as well. Not so much for the price, but because of the smooth, curved back. Reminds me of the trusty 3GS which is more comfortable to hold than my 4. Plus I never felt like I needed a case with it, unlike the 4. Having said that, I really wish they offered some non-pastel colors. That blue doesn't work for me nor the other colors, except white, so I'd probably go with that. This is all theoretical. Too broke right now to upgrade. :(

I'm glad I didn't wait for the iphone and got the S4.  The iphone 5 just doesn't seem like it's worth it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big apple fan and have 3 mac os devices and 7 ios devices at home.  

I kind of wish I'd gotten a regular S4 for the missing features though.  Not that it's a big deal, but sometimes I want the phone to scroll on its own :lol:

Why were there so many people waiting outside of the Apple Store today?  I thought the launch was last Friday?  There were at least 100 people on line when I walked by.

Why were there so many people waiting outside of the Apple Store today? I thought the launch was last Friday? There were at least 100 people on line when I walked by.

Another shipment?

bread's done
Back