Smartphone Thread

Hey gents, have a question as I don't know much about customizing smartphones. Are you able to make custom text umm tones for Android cells? Like the notification noise you hear when you receive a text? I have an MP3 file but not sure how to do this if you even can.

Hey gents, have a question as I don't know much about customizing smartphones. Are you able to make custom text umm tones for Android cells? Like the notification noise you hear when you receive a text? I have an MP3 file but not sure how to do this if you even can.

You should be able to. Go to the messaging app and click on your phone's menu button. Go to settings and scroll down to notification sound. You should be able to select it from there.

There is also a default notification sound under settings/device/sound, which is the universal tone.

Yeah, I mean how do put it on the cell since it's on my computer, sorry should have specified it wasn't on the cell. I imagine you place the file in one of the folders that is brought up when you connect the cell to the computer but I'm not sure which one and I can't find the preset ones in any folder to at least tip me off which one I should put it in.

EDIT: Got it, nevermind. Easy peasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually find most smartphone commercials pretentious at best, but the new Galaxy wristwatch phone commercials are freaking awesome. I especially like the one where they get physical props for Power Rangers, Inspector Gadget, Dick Tracey, etc.

Although Power Rangers in Space would have been a more fitting choice...

So my wife and myself have the prepaid Virgin Mobile PayLo plan for $35 a month. We've had these sub-par Kyocera Rise models for a bout a year. We're looking to move up with minimal cost. We do some texting, a little calling, and photo's which we share by either texting and FB. That's really it. Virtually no gaming, music, apps and online.

Our biggest focus is the camrea. With that said I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Ring and Galaxy III. Of course the Galaxy III is the better phone but would my minimal usage justify the price?

Or would you recomend a diffrent phone. Only reason I'm stuck on Samsung is because we had a Galaxy S a few years back and I loved it, but moving to a diffrent plan we had to give it up. I would love to have something of that caliber back, but I don't want a peace of shit or over spend.

I usually find most smartphone commercials pretentious at best, but the new Galaxy wristwatch phone commercials are freaking awesome. I especially like the one where they get physical props for Power Rangers, Inspector Gadget, Dick Tracey, etc.
Although Power Rangers in Space would have been a more fitting choice...
Too bad they ripped off Apple in making it, but that's really no surprise. If you don't know what I'm talking about look up the first iPhone commercial.

Anyone have a G2? Thinking about picking one up and switching to Sprint. Verizon is pissing me off with their high cost, so I am looking to switch. G2 is optimized to use all of Sprint's spectrum, so the phone should get better as they re purpose all the Nextel spectrum.

Nexus 5 is rumored to be $400/450 for 16/32. I really dislike LG phones and not a huge fan of the Galaxy Nexus, but it's still about $250 less than the Xperia Z1. The Nexus will get updates regularly and Sony has a rep for abandoning their flagship phones after a year. So conflicted...lolz

Anyone have a G2? Thinking about picking one up and switching to Sprint. Verizon is pissing me off with their high cost, so I am looking to switch. G2 is optimized to use all of Sprint's spectrum, so the phone should get better as they re purpose all the Nextel spectrum.

My G2 will be here tomorrow.

I'm switching from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Didn't really want to but the Nexus 5 has me going mehhh.

My G2 will be here tomorrow.

I'm switching from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Didn't really want to but the Nexus 5 has me going mehhh.

I tried it out a little bit tonight, and I really liked it. I think I am going to put in my order sometime this week. I was surprised how good the screen was and how fast everything was. Also, I was skeptical on the button placement, but I could see myself really liking it.

I tried it out a little bit tonight, and I really liked it. I think I am going to put in my order sometime this week. I was surprised how good the screen was and how fast everything was. Also, I was skeptical on the button placement, but I could see myself really liking it.
I'm loving it! It is clean, snappy, and it is really lightweight.

I'm getting used to the button placement, and the double tap is really fun.

I would check with others on how the service is with Sprint before switching to them.  I'm thinking of dropping them when my contract is up or not soon after unless service gets better around here.  Also see if they have finished LTE upgrades for your area.  If they haven't then the service will get worse and all you will get is some bullshit run around from them.

I would check with others on how the service is with Sprint before switching to them. I'm thinking of dropping them when my contract is up or not soon after unless service gets better around here. Also see if they have finished LTE upgrades for your area. If they haven't then the service will get worse and all you will get is some bullshit run around from them.

I have. I know several coworkers who have it, and they say it isn't bad. There are some dead spots, but I get that with Verizon as well. I work in a job where I travel a lot around the area, which I think helps when it comes to these types of evaluations.

I wouldn't even be thinking of switching to Sprint if it wasn't for the fact that they already have LTE turned on here, and the coverage is pretty good. I live right in the middle of Raleigh, so they blanketed the area near where I live fairly well.

Still a factor if you travel a lot, but only local coverage matters if you don't.

I'll keep paying Verizon pretty much whatever they want as I've never had issues with it where I live or the numerous places I've traveled. And have had tons of instances where I had service and friends/family with AT&T, Sprint or a smaller company didn't have service. True for voice and even more so for 3G/lte. I've only once had the opposite be true once, in the middle of no where in WV. Verizon and AT&T block each other from their towers there. So depending on where you are you often either only get one or the other to get signal.

GSMArena confirms that the Nexus 5's non removable battery will be 2300mah.

They had me excited when I saw it would be CDMA, then they kill it.

Google announces that the Galaxy Nexus will NOT get the 4.4 KitKat update. Goog-owned loosers! :rofl:

I kind of understand it. TI no longer is in the mobile sector and it seems like a lot of work to do with a partner who is no longer in the market.

I got a 16 GB Nexus 5 in Black. Should be here next week.

I kind of understand it. TI no longer is in the mobile sector and it seems like a lot of work to do with a partner who is no longer in the market.
True. Doesn't mean I can't be miffed about it. :D

I got a 16 GB Nexus 5 in Black. Should be here next week.
Nice! I'm waiting to see one in person before I finally make my decision between the Xperia Z1, Xperia Ultra, and the Nexus. Because of what happened with the GNex, it's not as appealing anymore. The only reason why it's still on my short list is because of the price. Specs are basically the same across all 3 phones, so it comes down to build and feel. If Sony cleans up their ASOP ROM, I'll probably just get an Xperia Z.

I'm on a family plan and pay about $40 a month for unlimited data/text and I have like 500 mins. Its time for an upgrade from my Atrix 2 I saw with the Moto X (which got good reviews) you can get a $100 visa gc from Motorola. My brother has the S4 and he really likes it. If cost isnt really an issue Id also consider the iphone 5s.

Things I like about Moto X great battery life and I think I can get by with 16gbs of space. S4 has the removable battery and microsd slot. I do like iOS's features and the battery life of the iphone 5s. I also like what the Nexus 5 has to offer. Ill probably go with the Moto X or iphone 5s at this point

I should mention I'm on AT&T

Ouch... Does it even have a SD card slot... ? If not CrApple sized FAIL.
it's been a while since the Nexus phones have had an SD card slot (Nexus One)

i've owned a Nexus One, HTC Inspire and my current Nexus 4. i don't miss the SD card, at all.

I'll be getting a new phone next week. I am trying to decide between the Nexus 5 and the G2. In the end I think I'm going with the G2. The Nexus 5 is actually $450 on Sprint for the 16gb. I'm not sure if that's an error or what but in the end it'll be $200 ($150 after $50 mail in rebate) for a 16gb Nexus 5 or $200 for a 32gb G2. Not to mention the 3000mAh battery on the G2 is what I was interested in when I read about it. I can definitely wait on 4.4 whether it be officially or from the mod community.

If you are this close to BF, isn't it worth it to wait? I would get a G2 over a Nexus 5. G2 is a better version of the Nexus phone. 

Just switched from Sprint to a Verizon Note 3 in the middle of my contact. I will be paying dearly for it but my cell experience has improved ridiculously. Sprint has not rolled out LTE(fully) in Cleveland and the 3g hardly worked if it connected at all.

Phone itself is amazeballs

If you are this close to BF, isn't it worth it to wait? I would get a G2 over a Nexus 5. G2 is a better version of the Nexus phone.
Now that you mention it, you're right. I'll probably end up going through Best Buy Mobile again instead of the actual Sprint store. They had overall better deals at Best Buy not to mention the points in Reward Zone. We'll just have to wait and see now!

Link doesn't seem to work for me.  I had a Best Buy gift card that I never used from a few years ago.  With the timing of my upgrades it seems like they don't work out well with the gift cards.

I'm currently trying to decide if I want to unroot and install 4.3 on my S3 Wednesday and have to deal with knox or hold off till a rom comes out that doesn't have knox.  I'm thinking I should just hold off.  The devs on xda tend to do a good job with getting around all of that if they can.

Link doesn't seem to work for me. I had a Best Buy gift card that I never used from a few years ago. With the timing of my upgrades it seems like they don't work out well with the gift cards.

I'm currently trying to decide if I want to unroot and install 4.3 on my S3 Wednesday and have to deal with knox or hold off till a rom comes out that doesn't have knox. I'm thinking I should just hold off. The devs on xda tend to do a good job with getting around all of that if they can.
just read this on xda. maybe you are interested?

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/knox-free-android-4-3-leak-now-official-for-the-galaxy-s-iii/

That's a leaked version for the international.  As far as I know the international and I think AT&T have 4.3 out that was leaked with no knox.

[quote name="sendme" post="11196713" timestamp="1383701931"]
That's a leaked version for the international. As far as I know the international and I think AT&T have 4.3 out that was leaked with no knox.[/quote]
What version/region/carrier are you needing?

I believe that the international gs3 has different internals than the american version. I know it doesn't have LTE and I believe it has a different processor.

Just got my 32GB Nexus 5 from the play store yesterday. Was a bit annoying to activate with sprint due to them being unprepared. Great phone so far though. Nothing like stock android.

Glad to be done with the touchwiz from my note II

531906_10151753094934142_2120088232_n.jpg

Unlocked iPhone 5s 32GB = $749 | Unlocked Nexus 5 32GB = $399
lulz.....

Calling businesses with the nexus 5 is the coolest thing ever. Shit goes to the internet and pulls all the contact information.

The G2 will be $50 at Best Buy on Black Friday. I wonder how difficult it will be getting in on that deal. The price is with a 2 year activation.

The G2 will be $50 at Best Buy on Black Friday. I wonder how difficult it will be getting in on that deal. The price is with a 2 year activation.
Its been between $50 and 100 a couple of times already, so it may not be worth risking life and limb for it. I got mine for $50 at BB just before Halloween. If you're on at&t, I highly recommend removing or stopping the CarrierIQ service. Battery is excellent afterwards. I'm going on 59 hours of normal use (for a work week) without charging and I'm at 19% charge.

Its been between $50 and 100 a couple of times already, so it may not be worth risking life and limb for it. I got mine for $50 at BB just before Halloween. If you're on at&t, I highly recommend removing or stopping the CarrierIQ service. Battery is excellent afterwards. I'm going on 59 hours of normal use (for a work week) without charging and I'm at 19% charge.
I'm actually on Sprint which barely released it last week. It's currently $100 at Best Buy with a $50 Gift card it seems. I might just go with that and not deal with Black Friday madness

Went with the moto X for $50 at Best Buy. I also got a $50 GC. I like the phone so far. Its a lot faster than the Atrix 2 and the battery lasts a long time

bread's done
Back