SOTTomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
My former sociology professor studies how people who work in the rat labs deal with killing the rats, nearly all of them rationalize it (it's for the greater good), and most are really animal lovers. Also they use different language to refer to the rats and killing them (they don't say that).

It was interesting to hear her talk about them. When we were walking to the place she would say rats, mice, gerbils, etc. But once we actually got into the rooms and she started explaining what I'd have to do, she called them "little clowns." I thought it was an affectionate term which seemed strange, because it sounded like her and one other lady were in charge of actually killing the things when the testing or whatever was done. There are cages marked with euthanize on them, but she said she didn't expect any of the newer employee's to do that. That'd be tough, imo, if she was emotionally attached to the thousands of rodents they have there.

That's pretty sweet, crystal. You wouldn't expect it from me since I'm all for animal rights, but to a lesser extent than most. I think all animals have a certain level of reasoning and such, but it's not like rats are struggling to survive as a species so if we can benefit from killing a couple hundred thousand of them, fuck it.

I almost ran over a whole pod of raccoons tonight on my way home, which would have made me feel kind of bad, but if you are dumb enough to walk across a busy street, you deserve to die. Sure, you have some reasoning, but if you decide to step out in front of anything that weighs more than a ton and is going 30+ mph, I guess I will just see you in hell.

[quote name='crystalklear64']It was interesting to hear her talk about them. When we were walking to the place she would say rats, mice, gerbils, etc. But once we actually got into the rooms and she started explaining what I'd have to do, she called them "little clowns." I thought it was an affectionate term which seemed strange, because it sounded like her and one other lady were in charge of actually killing the things when the testing or whatever was done. There are cages marked with euthanize on them, but she said she didn't expect any of the newer employee's to do that. That'd be tough, imo, if she was emotionally attached to the thousands of rodents they have there.[/QUOTE]

I can understand being emotionally attached to pets, even rats (I've considered getting some rats and would still like to as they are supposed to be pretty smart animals), but when it comes to medical testing, you have to ignore them as "people" and think of them more as objects. I'm pretty sure I could still find it in my heart to use the words kill and murder, because that's basically what you are doing.

Whatever though. That's what you get for being a subordinate species.

Ya, it was pretty interesting to hear from a sociologist. Almost all his work he does "for fun" relates to human/animal interaction. He says that he's most famous for studying the connection between hurting/killing animals as a child and becoming a serial killer. Unfortunately, he said that it's what he's most often misquoted on, he actually found that hurting/killing animals as a child only works conversely (as in, serial killers often have hurt animals, but of all the people who hurt animals, very few become serial killers, which does not help find them at an early age). But he doesn't really dispute the false claims by the media of what he said because it ends up making for stricter laws against animal abuse.

Something interesting she told me while we were touring. Almost all the test data we have on alcohol/narcotics in rodents comes from male rats. Only recently did they acknowledge that female rats metabolize the stuff differently, so they've begun testing on females as well.

One of the things they were testing was painkillers, and they inject it into a very specific part of the brain. The example she gave me was being able to tell how much of a drug should be given to humans ie. Novocaine. However, the way she explained it, I was wondering, if you didn't give someone enough, they would be like, oh shit, this hurts like a bitch I need more plz. So there is probably more too it.

Oh lol, also, there's some that are being tested by being exposed to radiation, so if you see a rat themed super hero any time soon, you know who it is ;-)

I learned something new today; My co-worker was telling me about plushies. Apparently its these people who have sexual attractions to stuffed animals. She even told me that they have Plushie conventions in San Jose.

I had no idea this was going on...

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']You mean furries?[/quote]

I think they are called Plushies. They have sex with stuffed animals or people in animal costumes (like the ones you see at Disneyland or something)...

I didn't know this sort of thing existed. I thought I was pretty jade too...

heheh, I actually did know about that. I even know a specific video.

NSFW(naughtyness censored though):
fukkinsavedgo1.jpg

This is the Internet. How could you not know what furries are?

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Make that 1,569,054 views. :cool:[/quote]

Holy Crap! That bear was getting some action! It was surreal....

Two days in a row now I've gone to bed at 9 p.m. only to wake up around midnight and not be able to get back to sleep.

What the fuck?

Today was my first day at the new job. Seems like a place I could stay at for a while.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_articulo.php?pic=360&id=cw48d770f1087d5&idj=

I need some Mexicans to verify.[/QUOTE]

You do not lose the occasion of alistarte in the phase beta of the multiplayer way of one of the titles of the season. Call of Duty: World AT War, will arrive at the stores the 14 from November for PC, PS3, 360, Wii, PS2 and DS, but in MeriStation, in collaboration with Activision, we offer the possibility to you already of beginning to prove it. The beta will abrirá the 10 of October officially, and we have 5,000 keys for its versions 360 Xbox and PC. For hacerte with free, you must solely send an email to [email protected] with the subject Beta MeriStation COD: World AT War and the following fields: Name: Last names: MeriPase: Email: Province: Date of birth: 360 Xbox or PC: The shipment of keys to be realised progressively according to arrival order, so if you do not want quedarte without yours, nonafternoons in sending your mail. Luck!

[quote name='zewone']What's a MeriPase?[/QUOTE]

I think it's a username for the site. I'm going to register first.

I'm expecting to get one from COD.com too, so I should be covered. If not, I'll reserve the game at Gamestop and pick up a beta pass on Friday.

I got in the EndWar closed beta like 4 months ago.

That game is horrible.

I don't need to be in this open beta, or buy the game, or ever hear about it again.

[quote name='zewone']I got in the EndWar closed beta like 4 months ago.

That game is horrible.

I don't need to be in this open beta, or buy the game, or ever hear about it again.[/quote]
Damn, I didn't even know there was a closed beta already.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Why is everyone so obsessed with getting into betas?[/QUOTE]

Obsessed?

People like to play a game they're anticipating for free and early.

It's not rocket science to figure out as to why someone would want to get in a beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back