Stand by for Titanfall!

Game Update 4 coming soon

http://www.titanfall.com/game-update-four?sf27709219=1

Here's a few I noticed:

Matchmaking - We've made improvements to matchmaking & team balancing. Now, teams are rearranged just before the level loads, to further balance the teams' skill and player counts. You'll notice that you're greyed out in the lobby until teams are set.

Achievements – If you bought the Expedition DLC for Titanfall you have a new set of achievements to unlock by playing the DLC maps.

Marked For Death - A player on each team will be marked for death! Kill the enemy mark while protecting your teammate.

Titan Burn Cards – 14 new burn cards that add amped Titan weapons and enhanced Titan abilities. You won't lose your selected Titan Burn Card if you die as a Pilot, only when you die as a Titan. 

Titan Insignias – Want to show off your accomplishments? You can now select from a host of emblems to customize your Titan. 

Audio - Killing a Pilot now plays a special sound effect to the killer 

Burn Cards – You'll notice a Triple Burn Card selector on bottom right of the HUD after you die. It's a reminder to use your cards and a convenient way to select them.

Burn Card Deck Limit tied to Gen level – Maximum deck size is increased by 6 cards per gen on top of the base 46 with a maximum of 100 for Gen 10.

there's also a few gun balancing tweaks you guys might want to read...stuff like shotgun & satchels are a little weaker and hemlok and g2 are a bit stronger.

I really liked the 360 version, though I didn't play it as much as I would have liked. I think I made it to the mid-30's, level wise. But I traded my copy in at BB for $33 and will buy the Xbox One version in a couple days now that I own that system. Only $12 + tax out of pocket is a damn good price to upgrade in my opinion.

Yeahhh . . . I've been out of the game for a few weeks (thanks, Watch Dogs!).  Definitely coming back for this update though.  "Too little, too late" definitely does not apply here!

Yeahhh . . . I've been out of the game for a few weeks (thanks, Watch Dogs!). Definitely coming back for this update though. "Too little, too late" definitely does not apply here!
Same here, actually traded in Titanfall. Am looking forward to a price drop/sale to snag it again.

And I WILL play it. Only reason I traded it in was because value was too good to pass up at the time.

Whoever was bitching about the achievements being tied to DLC and not free updates, you got your wish. All added achievements with this update are tied to the Expedition DLC.

Game has been out 3 months LMAO
As part of the crowd that bought this on Day 1, it sure as hell is too late to fix it. A lot of early adopters move on from what feels like an empty online matchplay game. It's obvious there are still plenty of folks playing it still like yourself but you'd be kidding yourself if you don't think plenty of people have also moved on from the game as well. I'm surprised it took this long to fix the matchmaking problem.

This is the only game I ever bought the online pass for, so I'm in it for the long haul. Here's hoping they fix alot of their issues.

On another note, for anyone wondering how to wall-hang, you have to press and hold the aim button while running on a wall. Alot of ppl probably knew this, but a majority didn't, as the game never taught it

On another note, for anyone wondering how to wall-hang, you have to press and hold the aim button while running on a wall. Alot of ppl probably knew this, but a majority didn't, as the game never taught it
I never knew that! Thanks for posting that, as I meant to look that up but stopped playing a while back.

And I think Donut's point needs to be considered valid as this game is multiplayer only, from guys who worked on the Call of Duty games. It's inexcusable to have a fault like unbalanced lobbies where players are ranks or Generations much higher than you or your whole team when your game is strictly multiplayer only. They can't say they spent time fixing the campaign, or that a secondary company did the multiplayer, as the online is the whole game, and all that it offers. I know a reason I stopped playing was because of unbalanced lobbies. I'm glad it's addressed, but it's still surprising it took 3 months to happen.

Hopefully it encourages people who may have left it back to the game and truly works at balancing matches.

[quote name="The Ebbtide" post="11876385" timestamp="1403861341"]I never knew that! Thanks for posting that, as I meant to look that up but stopped playing a while back.

And I think Donut's point needs to be considered valid as this game is multiplayer only, from guys who worked on the Call of Duty games. It's inexcusable to have a fault like unbalanced lobbies where players are ranks or Generations much higher than you or your whole team when your game is strictly multiplayer only. They can't say they spent time fixing the campaign, or that a secondary company did the multiplayer, as the online is the whole game, and all that it offers. I know a reason I stopped playing was because of unbalanced lobbies. I'm glad it's addressed, but it's still surprising it took 3 months to happen.

Hopefully it encourages people who may have left it back to the game and truly works at balancing matches.[/quote]
Rank/generation is not an indicator of skill. Anybody can reach Gen 10. It might just take more time for some. I've killed plenty of Gen 10 players and had plenty Gen 1 players kill me.

Rank/generation is not an indicator of skill. Anybody can reach Gen 10. It might just take more time for some. I've killed plenty of Gen 10 players and had plenty Gen 1 players kill me.
As I explained before though, it is an indication of time played. Why keep track of statistics like that if they won't be used to match opponents against one another in some fashion? A rank 11 can kill a Generation 7 Rank 15, but that Generation 7 should be much more familiar with the game, map layout, and weapon setups. That's not to say that the skill level of the players may not somehow be the same, but why not match players closer in rank against one another; it's not like there's less than 200 people playing the game and matchmaking is desperate to connect people.

In any game where rank dictates unlocks and customization for gameplay, where things like weapons, accessories or armor and character models (especially if they affect hitboxes), that rank should always be considered in the matchmaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
To touch on Ebbtide's point, the higher ranked players generally do better.  Although fast twitch is the most distinguishing asset between players, the other significant attribute is what I like to call "movement/set up."  A lot of kills are easily earned in MP games if you just position yourself in the best place possible (i.e. flanking somebody or beating somebody to a choke point).  You can't move well if you're not familiar with the map and the timing/nuances/pacing of the specific level.  Familiarity helps immensely.  I played the game for the first month and traded it in after losing patience with Respawn's supposed match making fix (I didn't see a difference).  2 months later I still haven't picked up the game and I'm undoubtedly behind the curve if I logged on.

Again, for me, "too little too late" is apropos.  I'm sure they'll fix those issues and learn to put in more content at launch once Titanfall 2 comes around.

After several matches the matchmaking still feels pretty terrible. The teams are still constantly unbalanced and in the case of my last match everyone on their team was Gen 2+ while my team had 4 people that were still Gen 1.

Damn shame at this point I can only say Respawn is a lazy studio because this game has been plagued by matchmaking issues since launch and they still haven't bothered fixing anything. They say they've been doing a lot of work but I haven't seen any positive progress from it, honestly this game will never hope to compete with COD with the mentality over at Respawn behind it.

[quote name="The Ebbtide" post="11876717" timestamp="1403879325"]As I explained before though, it is an indication of time played. Why keep track of statistics like that if they won't be used to match opponents against one another in some fashion? A rank 11 can kill a Generation 7 Rank 15, but that Generation 7 should be much more familiar with the game, map layout, and weapon setups. That's not to say that the skill level of the players may not somehow be the same, but why not match players closer in rank against one another; it's not like there's less than 200 people playing the game and matchmaking is desperate to connect people.

In any game where rank dictates unlocks and customization for gameplay, where things like weapons, accessories or armor and character models (especially if they affect hitboxes), that rank should always be considered in the matchmaking.[/quote]
Because they actually do Matchmaking based on actual skill and not a number already? There was a link posted earlier that explains it all but here it is again: http://titanfallblog.com/2014/05/23/respawn-provides-an-update-on-titanfalls-matchmaking-system-ctf-returns-to-pc/

Essentially they are trying to match based on multiple things, one being skill which is different then your rank. You don't see this. Yes, somebody higher ranked may be more familiar with the game, but that would be reflected in their skill in the background.

Rank also doesn't unlock anything other than extra customization slots. Your weapon unlocks are determined by completing challenges. You could be level 50 and not have unlocks for the CAR and I could be 15 and have all of them. If you're going to match based on what items are unlocked you're opening up a completely different can of worms.

Because they actually do Matchmaking based on actual skill and not a number already? There was a link posted earlier that explains it all but here it is again: http://titanfallblog.com/2014/05/23/respawn-provides-an-update-on-titanfalls-matchmaking-system-ctf-returns-to-pc/

Essentially they are trying to match based on multiple things, one being skill which is different then your rank. You don't see this. Yes, somebody higher ranked may be more familiar with the game, but that would be reflected in their skill in the background.

Rank also doesn't unlock anything other than extra customization slots. Your weapon unlocks are determined by completing challenges. You could be level 50 and not have unlocks for the CAR and I could be 15 and have all of them. If you're going to match based on what items are unlocked you're opening up a completely different can of worms.
That link explains that they would sacrifice skill matching to make full player lobbies faster, which is supported by the complaints of people on message boards. While the design is to match based around skill, tracking skill is still not flawless. Even the guy who designed True Skill for the Xbox platforms has stated this. He pointed this out when interview by Major Nelson.

I technically have no problem with them admitting that the game will sacrifice skill searching for filling a match, but this needs to be an option players are aware of. Halo 3 and Reach offered you the option to customize your search; area, skill or fastest match. You could at least try to find a game based on a setup you'd prefer in that way. Keeping that hidden is what makes it complicated. If I could see if this is a skill based match or a rushed together lobby, I could know if the game would at least be a good match. Also, not telling me my actual skill rating, as well as that of others, is problematic.

As it is, all we are aware of is player in-game ranking, which unfortunately tends to dictate winning and losing sides. I know it's possible that higher generations or higher ranks could have the same skill level of lower generations or lower ranks, but there's been for too many posts and complaints about lopsided teams and defeats to be ignored. This also presents an issue with the skill system; either it's not effective, or just isn't working.

That's my point about matching based around your in-game rank. Relative to time and experience, it would potentially be more balanced in this type of game than applying a number to people that they're not even aware of. It would also encourage people to stay in lobbies if all players are close to each others in-game rank, rather than pitting lower players against higher players, both in rank and generation.

You're also mistaken about ranks and unlocks. Several weapons and items are unlocked at different ranks throughout the progression. This creates imbalance, and also runs counter to a skill system. A Generation 6 Rank 4 could be at a disadvantage to a Generation 2 Rank 48 because of weapon and item unlocks. There's still many people playing this game, so matching around rank would not be an impossible option.

[quote name="The Ebbtide" post="11878916" timestamp="1403949609"]That link explains that they would sacrifice skill matching to make full player lobbies faster, which is supported by the complaints of people on message boards. While the design is to match based around skill, tracking skill is still not flawless. Even the guy who designed True Skill for the Xbox platforms has stated this. He pointed this out when interview by Major Nelson.

I technically have no problem with them admitting that the game will sacrifice skill searching for filling a match, but this needs to be an option players are aware of. Halo 3 and Reach offered you the option to customize your search; area, skill or fastest match. You could at least try to find a game based on a setup you'd prefer in that way. Keeping that hidden is what makes it complicated. If I could see if this is a skill based match or a rushed together lobby, I could know if the game would at least be a good match. Also, not telling me my actual skill rating, as well as that of others, is problematic.

As it is, all we are aware of is player in-game ranking, which unfortunately tends to dictate winning and losing sides. I know it's possible that higher generations or higher ranks could have the same skill level of lower generations or lower ranks, but there's been for too many posts and complaints about lopsided teams and defeats to be ignored. This also presents an issue with the skill system; either it's not effective, or just isn't working.

That's my point about matching based around your in-game rank. Relative to time and experience, it would potentially be more balanced in this type of game than applying a number to people that they're not even aware of. It would also encourage people to stay in lobbies if all players are close to each others in-game rank, rather than pitting lower players against higher players, both in rank and generation.

You're also mistaken about ranks and unlocks. Several weapons and items are unlocked at different ranks throughout the progression. This creates imbalance, and also runs counter to a skill system. A Generation 6 Rank 4 could be at a disadvantage to a Generation 2 Rank 48 because of weapon and item unlocks. There's still many people playing this game, so matching around rank would not be an impossible option.[/quote]
Please explain how matchmaking based on an arbitrary number would be better than based on skill besides just giving a false sense of security based on perception. Again if a level 2 player with his limited unlocks has better skill than somebody at 50 with more unlocks pitting them in the same match will unbalance the game. If you are better with the tools you have available it will show in skill. Your rank isn't showing that. It is just showing that you have played the game longer than somebody else. Yes matching on skill isn't perfect, which is why they continue to tweak things. It is far better than matching people based on a number to simply make them THINK that it is balanced. And in their post they mention game browsers. In their eyes if they have to add a game browser and all these filtering options they have failed. You may not agree, but I do. I don't feel quick match works very often in Battlefield in finding a good game for me. I hate that I have to browse through hundreds of servers to find a game. I do think Titanfall's matchmaking has improved if you don't server hop. I usually start the game and stick with it. Eventually the teams do get balanced. It seems like those having issues quit as soon as they lose a game or two then get put against another hard team. Does that need to be tweaked to account for those instances? Sure. But changing it so only people of the same rank play each other isn't going to fit it. It will just make people think it is fixed which is just a cop out.

Please explain how matchmaking based on an arbitrary number would be better than based on skill besides just giving a false sense of security based on perception.
I already did... Literally, the last post...

Titanfall's Matchmaking setup wasn't working. You have players spanning Ranks and Generations in matches that lead to imbalance. Naturally, players will quit out of game lobbies where they feel overwhelmed and at a disadvantage. Placing people with the same in-game ranks in matches together makes more sense as they have greater potential of similar unlocks, knowledge of the game and similar goals or challenges to complete. People working on finishing a Generation goal can hinder the rest of the team as well, so matching them with other similar Generation level players would allow for better focus; if you're not looking to win the match but rather get kills with a gun for a challenge then that hurts the team goal, which is why it's better to keep them together.

Likewise, similar ranks work better in the event of quitters; replacing quitters with people who are much higher or lower than others creates imbalance with the unlocks offered, as well as potential goals of those joining the match, like above. Replacing a Generation 3 Rank 28 with a Generation 3 Rank 25-33 works better than replacing them with a Generation 8 Rank 2 or Generation 2 Rank 49.

The reason people would think it's fixed is because it would work better than the setup they have for it now.

[quote name="The Ebbtide" post="11879654" timestamp="1403984185"]I already did... Literally, the last post...

Titanfall's Matchmaking setup wasn't working. You have players spanning Ranks and Generations in matches that lead to imbalance. Naturally, players will quit out of game lobbies where they feel overwhelmed and at a disadvantage. Placing people with the same in-game ranks in matches together makes more sense as they have greater potential of similar unlocks, knowledge of the game and similar goals or challenges to complete. People working on finishing a Generation goal can hinder the rest of the team as well, so matching them with other similar Generation level players would allow for better focus; if you're not looking to win the match but rather get kills with a gun for a challenge then that hurts the team goal, which is why it's better to keep them together.

Likewise, similar ranks work better in the event of quitters; replacing quitters with people who are much higher or lower than others creates imbalance with the unlocks offered, as well as potential goals of those joining the match, like above. Replacing a Generation 3 Rank 28 with a Generation 3 Rank 25-33 works better than replacing them with a Generation 8 Rank 2 or Generation 2 Rank 49.

The reason people would think it's fixed is because it would work better than the setup they have for it now. [/quote]
No, you didn't explain how it would be better other than giving a perception of being better. Again, working towards challenges, weapons that are unlocked, etc all would be reflected in skill. If I'm working towards the gooser challenge at the detriment of the game that will be reflected in my tracked skill. Personally I play to try and help my team and work on challenges to the side. So in your system I'm going to be put with players sacrificing the game just to work on challenges because I'm the same rank? That makes no sense. Not only that, but I'm an average player. I'm not great, but I hold me own. I've put a lot of time into the game though. So because I'm a higher gen player I get stuck with other players who are higher ranked rather than people who are at my skill level? No, thank you. Again, all of your argument hinges on unlocks and making people BELIEVE it is balanced. If you are a lower rank player and can get as many kills with what you have unlocked as somebody who is higher with more unlocks, then that will be reflected in your skill. If you struggle with what you have unlocked that will also be reflected.

So, I started playing again since the patch.  I've got to say, the matchmaking and team balancing is a lot better.  It's nice not starting a match 4 on 6 or worse now.  Seems to be working great in my book.

Hadn't played in about a month and a half, but I do like what they've done with the patch so I started up again this weekend. Will probably stick with it until Destiny comes out, at which point I'll probably cut way back on it. By the time the MC Collection comes out I'll probably be ready to uninstall it and hope a sequel comes in the next couple years.

By the time the MC Collection comes out I'll probably be ready to uninstall it and hope a sequel comes in the next couple years.
The team that made this game is made up of people who made Call of Duty games. I'm seriously amazed a sequel hasn't already been announced with a Holiday 2014 release window.

The team that made this game is made up of people who made Call of Duty games. I'm seriously amazed a sequel hasn't already been announced with a Holiday 2014 release window.
Well apparently respawn is working on an unannounced project with newly hired Stig Asmussen(god of war 3 creative director)to man the same post. Plus that was activision forcing them to make a title every 2 years while treyarch would make a title every other year.

[quote name="ORGAN1ZAT10N_13" post="11883432" timestamp="1404115528"]The team that made this game is made up of people who made Call of Duty games. I'm seriously amazed a sequel hasn't already been announced with a Holiday 2014 release window.[/quote]
Infinity Ward released a new Call of Duty game once every two years, not every year. Also, being forced to make sequels to CoD is one of the reasons they left Activision.

The gooser challenge to regen 6 is seriously fucking annoying.
It's very luck based, imo. Just keep at it. A lot of times I'll be in the right place, at the right time, but then they camo when they eject so I don't even get the chance to kill them. Unless you're using the arc cannon, make sure you are fully reloaded before they eject. I missed so many potential gooser kills because I had to reload while trying to shoot the ejecting pilot!!!! Talk about frustrating. Luckily it's only 5 now instead of 50.... otherwise I would've just given up and stayed on Gen 5. Lol.

Well apparently respawn is working on an unannounced project with newly hired Stig Asmussen(god of war 3 creative director)to man the same post. Plus that was activision forcing them to make a title every 2 years while treyarch would make a title every other year.
Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if that could happen with this title in some way. EA still loves money too. They might find some other studio to do something with it if they think it could be the next Call of Duty type of moneymaker.

I mean, maybe a 3rd party could actually make a real campaign.

No, you didn't explain how it would be better other than giving a perception of being better. Again, working towards challenges, weapons that are unlocked, etc all would be reflected in skill. If I'm working towards the gooser challenge at the detriment of the game that will be reflected in my tracked skill. Personally I play to try and help my team and work on challenges to the side. So in your system I'm going to be put with players sacrificing the game just to work on challenges because I'm the same rank? That makes no sense. Not only that, but I'm an average player. I'm not great, but I hold me own. I've put a lot of time into the game though. So because I'm a higher gen player I get stuck with other players who are higher ranked rather than people who are at my skill level? No, thank you. Again, all of your argument hinges on unlocks and making people BELIEVE it is balanced. If you are a lower rank player and can get as many kills with what you have unlocked as somebody who is higher with more unlocks, then that will be reflected in your skill. If you struggle with what you have unlocked that will also be reflected.
All of your view hinges on Titanfall's matchmaking working correctly. If the new update finally fixes this then fantastic. Good thing it only took them months to get it to work.

My concept makes sense if the game cannot match player appropriately. And, like I pointed out, if players cannot see their so called skill level then the in-game rank is all people can go off of. This is why people quit out when they see uneven Generations against other players. We have absolutely no way of telling if their matchmaking is actually working. Worse, as stated, when people quit out then the matchmaking system will potentially now work for speed and match replacement players into a match based on availability, meaning that players will now not have an even experience. Further, we still don't know exactly how skill is tracked. What is the equation, or statistics, if any, that determine it?

There's no way you can use the example of Gooser players being tracked, as that's undefined. People doing so could still be on winning teams, people doing so could still be on losing teams, which then would affect their entire team and the skill level of them. There is absolutely no guarantee that every Generation 6 is going for that challenge, so being paired with other Generation 6's wouldn't be an flawed setup. I still have not read a single reason why matching based around in-game rank would not work. If it was done and people 'believed' it to be working...doesn't that mean it's working? You're defending a skill system that wasn't working well enough that even Respawn had to publically address it and update it. If under this proposed in-game rank concept people are staying in matches, playing full games and not leaving lobbies before the game even starts then it sounds like a better matchmaking experience then what was implemented before.

Nothing I've posted has been wrong or incorrect, I'm talking about a replacement for a inconsistent setup. You're talking about a hypothetical skill tracking system that literally tracks everything in such detail that it can truly match players in almost flawless fashion as to pit players in matches with close outcomes, but that hasn't been the case. Many games were lopsided, with teams that weren't even, both in number and skill level. It's also flawed to have a skill based match in games where players can quit and other people can replace them. Is there a penalty for quitting? What if you quit out just before the end; do you save your stats from the loss rating? What if you join into a losing match and quit; are you docked skill for leaving, and would it have been better or worse to take the loss? What if you join into a losing match and lose? What if you join into a losing match and get killed a lot? What if you join into a winning match, and by a high margin? What if you join into a winning match and get a lot of kills? What if you join into a winning match in the last few seconds of it; do you gain skill, even though you didn't contribute to it? How is skill tracked in any of these cases? We're not told. We have no idea what value we're assigned, and, like I've said, we have no clue if it's working. In these examples it doesn't seem like it's working either; people potentially left the match for a reason (unfortunately, we don't know why, we just know we're replacing someone), the scores aren't even or close, and/or one team cannot seem to fight as well. How would matching based around in-game rank be worse than that setup? I've still not been explained that...

All that matters in the in-game rank setup is that as your rank increases so does that of your competitors, potentially enhancing the challenge you face. Skill matching is too varied and without knowing what is tracked and what my level is makes it impossible to know what will or will not work. If they could offer two playlist setups, one where it uses the skill tracking and one where it matches based around rank I'd be very curious to see which one people preferred.

I'm saying I'd much rather have a game experience with in-game rank being used to play with other if it keeps people in matches, as they're not scared away by the concept of uneven balance with ranks, since we know skill tracking does not always work. If that keeps people playing undeterred, isn't that a better setup? And if you or someone else quits the match, they can expect to have a replacement of the same or close in-game rank. There is not a better variation, as skill tracking is just as flawed. We're not aware of the data, even our own, so we cannot tell if it's working. And if matches are still lopsided then it definitely doesn't seem like it is.

^Agreed. Strictly from a PvP perspective a lot of Titanfall's 2 success will depend on whether they fix or implement a better matchmaking system. 

I'm not there yet but I'm definitely not looking forward to it. I still don't have my achievement for killing ejecting pilots, nor do I have the "pull harder" one.
Before the gooser challenge I had only killed one ejecting pilot and by total luck, I fired my rocket salvo and he ejected early as I was pounding him.

What's crazy is my first ejecting kill for the gooser challenge was with the charge rifle, which is basically as hard as killing an ejector with the plasma railgun. Wish that pull harder challenge was with the railgun or rifle.

I'm at 3/5 right now and already at level 50. First time I haven't finished all requirements before hitting 50.

Chain gun with extended magazine or 40mm cannon if you can be quick with it works almost everytime. Just play last titan standing and always travel in at least pairs or more and just shoot at the titan and start to reload when the enemy titan gets to about half health. By the time you reload he should be almost or already doomed and start to aim a little ways above the ejection path and start blasting.

[quote name="The Ebbtide" post="11883867" timestamp="1404142507"]Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if that could happen with this title in some way. EA still loves money too. They might find some other studio to do something with it if they think it could be the next Call of Duty type of moneymaker.

I mean, maybe a 3rd party could actually make a real campaign.

All of your view hinges on Titanfall's matchmaking working correctly. If the new update finally fixes this then fantastic. Good thing it only took them months to get it to work.

My concept makes sense if the game cannot match player appropriately. And, like I pointed out, if players cannot see their so called skill level then the in-game rank is all people can go off of. This is why people quit out when they see uneven Generations against other players. We have absolutely no way of telling if their matchmaking is actually working. Worse, as stated, when people quit out then the matchmaking system will potentially now work for speed and match replacement players into a match based on availability, meaning that players will now not have an even experience. Further, we still don't know exactly how skill is tracked. What is the equation, or statistics, if any, that determine it?

There's no way you can use the example of Gooser players being tracked, as that's undefined. People doing so could still be on winning teams, people doing so could still be on losing teams, which then would affect their entire team and the skill level of them. There is absolutely no guarantee that every Generation 6 is going for that challenge, so being paired with other Generation 6's wouldn't be an flawed setup. I still have not read a single reason why matching based around in-game rank would not work. If it was done and people 'believed' it to be working...doesn't that mean it's working? You're defending a skill system that wasn't working well enough that even Respawn had to publically address it and update it. If under this proposed in-game rank concept people are staying in matches, playing full games and not leaving lobbies before the game even starts then it sounds like a better matchmaking experience then what was implemented before.

Nothing I've posted has been wrong or incorrect, I'm talking about a replacement for a inconsistent setup. You're talking about a hypothetical skill tracking system that literally tracks everything in such detail that it can truly match players in almost flawless fashion as to pit players in matches with close outcomes, but that hasn't been the case. Many games were lopsided, with teams that weren't even, both in number and skill level. It's also flawed to have a skill based match in games where players can quit and other people can replace them. Is there a penalty for quitting? What if you quit out just before the end; do you save your stats from the loss rating? What if you join into a losing match and quit; are you docked skill for leaving, and would it have been better or worse to take the loss? What if you join into a losing match and lose? What if you join into a losing match and get killed a lot? What if you join into a winning match, and by a high margin? What if you join into a winning match and get a lot of kills? What if you join into a winning match in the last few seconds of it; do you gain skill, even though you didn't contribute to it? How is skill tracked in any of these cases? We're not told. We have no idea what value we're assigned, and, like I've said, we have no clue if it's working. In these examples it doesn't seem like it's working either; people potentially left the match for a reason (unfortunately, we don't know why, we just know we're replacing someone), the scores aren't even or close, and/or one team cannot seem to fight as well. How would matching based around in-game rank be worse than that setup? I've still not been explained that...

All that matters in the in-game rank setup is that as your rank increases so does that of your competitors, potentially enhancing the challenge you face. Skill matching is too varied and without knowing what is tracked and what my level is makes it impossible to know what will or will not work. If they could offer two playlist setups, one where it uses the skill tracking and one where it matches based around rank I'd be very curious to see which one people preferred.

I'm saying I'd much rather have a game experience with in-game rank being used to play with other if it keeps people in matches, as they're not scared away by the concept of uneven balance with ranks, since we know skill tracking does not always work. If that keeps people playing undeterred, isn't that a better setup? And if you or someone else quits the match, they can expect to have a replacement of the same or close in-game rank. There is not a better variation, as skill tracking is just as flawed. We're not aware of the data, even our own, so we cannot tell if it's working. And if matches are still lopsided then it definitely doesn't seem like it is.
[/quote]
All of that information has been given out by Respawn. Yes, there is a penalty for leaving a game. If you join a game mismatch it does not count as a loss (or win). The skill based system isn't hypothetical, Respawn already stated they are using and improving it. The only hypothetical part is what they are tracking, some of which they have detailed such as win/loss or moving players after multiple losses against a team.

A skill based system is too varied? You're matching people with similar abilities in the game. The only variation is a number. Hell, with the last update they are even attempting to match people who use mics. That isn't variation. Variation is using an arbitrary number to match people up in a scattershot of capabilities.

Just because you don't know the data doesn't mean it isn't there. Are you going to go and check everybody's stats to know if you should be scared off? I guess when that Gen 2 guy kills you 20 times it's better because at least you are Gen 2 as well? Every match I've played this week has been a close race. I even had ties, which I haven't experienced before. On both teams players were comprised of different generations. Some 1,a few 7s, and some 10s with others scattered in between. Your theory has two benefits: faster Matchmaking because it can queue people as they come into the Hopper without crunching data and randomly getting equal games. The key part being random.

I'm not saying the system is perfect, and it never will be. You also have to take in factors such as ping, time (when somebody looks for a match), player base, etc. All in addition to skill. You could set up a perfect game every time but it would take a hell of a lot longer matchmaking. None of this is "hypothetical" and is all stuff Respawn has explained in their blog. They also said they are improving it and every update has been an improvement for me. Since the second one anyway. Like I said the last week of games have been very close.

All of that information has been given out by Respawn. Yes, there is a penalty for leaving a game. If you join a game mismatch it does not count as a loss (or win).
Really? Joining mid-game doesn't count? I hope that's true, now I can quit out without penalty. I hate joining mid-game, whether my team is winning or losing. It's 2014 and they still haven't added a multiplayer option for those of us who would prefer to wait in the lobby for a brand new game... smh...

Anyone need someone to play with? I don't have much friends on XB1 since my main group still has to get theirs. I'd be open to partying up with a group if anyone needs a person.

[quote name="CaseX" post="11886264" timestamp="1404218263"]Really? Joining mid-game doesn't count? I hope that's true, now I can quit out without penalty. I hate joining mid-game, whether my team is winning or losing. It's 2014 and they still haven't added a multiplayer option for those of us who would prefer to wait in the lobby for a brand new game... smh...[/quote]
I'm not positive on the joining a losing match and for the life of me can't remember where I read it. It doesn't look like it is in the patch notes so I could be wrong on that one.

[quote name="CaseX" post="11886264" timestamp="1404218263"]Really? Joining mid-game doesn't count? I hope that's true, now I can quit out without penalty. I hate joining mid-game, whether my team is winning or losing. It's 2014 and they still haven't added a multiplayer option for those of us who would prefer to wait in the lobby for a brand new game... smh...[/quote]
I'm not positive on the joining a losing match and for the life of me can't remember where I read it. It doesn't look like it is in the patch notes so I could be wrong on that one.

Frontier's Edge expansion announced!

​
[attachment=6461:TFDLC2-Titled-Hero-Art-1920x1080_size.jpg]​

I'm not excited at all for the ability to start hijacking titans. It seemed like a very smart choice on Respawn's part to not have included that in the beginning because you would have those people who master it and dominate by having a titan for 95% of the game. Hopefully this doesn't spill over into the main game and stays limited to the FE dlc. Or at least make it balanced enough where it doesn't just take jumping on a titan to hijack it. Maybe something similar to the chainsaw duels in Gears of War - fighting to open/keep closed the hatch into the cockpit of the titan

http://www.titanfall.com/news/titanfall-frontiers-edge?sf28266710=1

bread's done
Back