Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - 'Ultimate Sith Edition' Coming Holiday 2009

as much as I want the DLC I have to agree. 1 Level and a few skins for $10 is unreal. The Skin packs should be 160 points and the level should be 400. I'd buy at that price.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']as much as I want the DLC I have to agree. 1 Level and a few skins for $10 is unreal. The Skin packs should be 160 points and the level should be 400. I'd buy at that price.[/quote]
Agreed.

It's funny that that you mention Shadow of the Empire Corvin - I recognized the same audio track from SotE in TFU and it made me smile.

There's a special place in my heart for the N64 title because it was one of only a handful of games available shortly after the system's launch. That and the game was $70 new in 1997.

[quote name='coolsteel']... and a star destroyer segment that caused many a person to throw their controller and quit in disgust. QUOTE]

This x 10. I've never experienced such a brilliant idea that was so horribly ruined.

Note on the DLC, it's one of the funner levels and the level boss was pretty good. But, not worth $10 overall. It's very short.

I finally sat down last night and played the last few levels. The star destroyer segment wasn't that bad, just an extreme exercise in patience.

Overall, not a terrible game, but still a huge letdown gameplay-wise.

This is up next on my epic backlog. I am on level 3 (2nd level of apprentice) right now and am enjoying it so far. I like the cinematics and boss fights quite a bit. The gameplay is a bit... hmm.. not sure the word to use.. its not complicated or anything, but theres a lot to do and remember. Force powers arent too bad to use, and the physics are out of this world at times, i love how stuff just breaks and bends everywhere when using the force powers. That is easily the most impressive part of the game. The levels themselves also look really great, nice scale they went for and achieved. Im having fun so far and hope to clear it out of the backlog tomorrow.

And.. Just finished it! It was a lot longer then i imagined, i had heard it was a 6 hour game but its way longer then that! Anyhow, i enjoyed it a lot. What i liked a lot were the cutscenes, story, voice acting, music, controls were great once you get used to the force stuff and the graphics, at times, looked absolutely amazing, while looking just good other times. Overall i'd rate this a B. Once i finished it, i had no desire to ever play it again lol, so it gets points knocked off for that alone.

Good game tho, and i hope we get more using the same engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a new copy for $20 and I was wondering- after I beat the game, can I go back to each individual level and collect all 15 Jedi Holocrons, or must I play through the whole game again?

If you choose a new difficulty, then you have to find the holocrons again (or at least just the useful ones). Otherwise, you just pick chapters and the game functions the same (cutscenes are still intact, completing one level automatically loads up the next).

I rented this game over the weekend for a nice little escape.. and boy was I disappointed! i really had high hopes for this game after finding the demo really fun. The targeting system was incredibly awkward and I had a game horrible glitch that prevented further gameplay. The only good thing about this experience was that the "Sith Master" difficulty was extremely difficult. So it was rewarding when I finished this evening.

Thanks, crunchb3rry. I'll just do my normal playthrough and then go back with a guide to pick up missed Holocrons.

[quote name='thehuskerfan']I rented this game over the weekend for a nice little escape.. and boy was I disappointed! i really had high hopes for this game after finding the demo really fun. The targeting system was incredibly awkward and I had a game horrible glitch that prevented further gameplay. The only good thing about this experience was that the "Sith Master" difficulty was extremely difficult. So it was rewarding when I finished this evening.[/QUOTE]

Really? I've put in 2 hours according to the game clock and I'm loving it so far. I'm only on the 3rd level (counting the prologue) but I did spend 15 minutes in the prologue mowing down 500 stormtroopers for a few achievements.

Targeting system in this game blows, and I still haven't beat it even though I've had this game for a long time. I didn't find the star destroyer part difficult, but I also completely ignored the analog stick directions that it was telling me to do. I think I might actually be on the last level, so I should beat it I suppose...

I actually re rented it again last weekend and beat it on the second to last hardest difficulty. Still had a hell of alot of fun playing it. I think I will pick it up this weekend cause I really love it, and I love how it fits into the storyline in a way. Alot of emotions going amuck in it as well. For $20, you can't beat it really.

[quote name='Matt Young']Thanks, crunchb3rry. I'll just do my normal playthrough and then go back with a guide to pick up missed Holocrons.

Really? I've put in 2 hours according to the game clock and I'm loving it so far. I'm only on the 3rd level (counting the prologue) but I did spend 15 minutes in the prologue mowing down 500 stormtroopers for a few achievements.[/QUOTE]

Just wait until you're facing either the second boss (Kazdan Paratus - hardest level IMO) or the Emporer on Sith Master difficulty, and you'll agree that the targeting system is broken. It's hard enough that you can die after 3 hits, but when you try to lightning the guy and it hits a totally inanimate object.. it just adds fuel to my dislike for the game overall. :roll:

On xbox.com, new achievements came out for DLC for the force unleashed. One was that you had to kill obi-one. So the rumor is you get to play as Vader through Episode IV.

Lucas said they have some huge announcments at Comic-con and this will be one.

[quote name='jollydwarf'](Pounding fork and knife on dinner table) "Bat-tle-front THREE! Bat-tle-front THREE!"[/QUOTE]

Battlefront III would be nice, but I would rather have a Knights of the Old Republic III.

We all want BF3 and KOTOR III, but I'll be happy for this. I've been waiting to get the other DLC on sale, but might have to pick it up anyway.

As a big SW fan, the game disappointed. Weak story and horrid technical glitches. But, this new DLC has me intrigued. Especially if you get to play as Vader. Plus, Boba Fett is involved. I heart Boba Fett.

Now I just gotta rebuy the game. Doh!

As much as I enjoyed the game, I got enough out of it when I finished it through a rental. I would have liked to have had a reason to own it. Maybe this DLC will be worth doing so now that it's dropped in price.

Major Nelson notes that this week's "deal" on Xbox Live's marketplace is the "Jedi Temple Mission Pack" for 400
microsoftpointslogosmall.gif
($5). That's half off the normal price and is available only to gold members.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009...force-unleashed-jedi-temple-mission-pack.aspx

Also:

New incoming DLC:
http://xbox.joystiq.com/2009/07/16/new-force-unleashed-achievements-discovered/

I believe it's only part of the special edition. The disc also includes all the DLC released so far. I dunno if they will "fix" anything with the original/main game.

Awesome that they would have the Jedi Temple Mission on sale all week right before they announce a new edition with all the past DLC and 1 mission that you can only get from the special edition.

[quote name='Banjora']m0rningbreakfast: From what I read over on Joystiq its supposed to have all the past DLC plus 2 new missions. 1 of those missions that will be available to all of us as DLC and 1 that will be solely for those who get the Sith Edition.

OnyxPrimal: Joystiq is reporting that its 360, PS3, and PC/MAC. Though on Game Daily it was saying just PC/MAC.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/24/star-wars-the-force-unleashed-receiving-ultimate-sith-edition/

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I'll pick this up and then gift my old copy to one of my nephews. Both are nuts for Star Wars and neither is online with their console so they won't worry about DLC.

Speak with your wallets. Don't reward Lucasarts for this double-dip nonsense. If the game tanks, that exclusive will be DLC sooner than you know it. If not, rent the game. Don't give Lucasarts your money for such blatant "screw our fans" strategies.

[quote name='Corvin']Speak with your wallets. Don't reward Lucasarts for this double-dip nonsense. If the game tanks, that exclusive will be DLC sooner than you know it. If not, rent the game. Don't give Lucasarts your money for such blatant "screw our fans" strategies.[/QUOTE]

or Bethesda for GOTY editions with the DLC included (Oblivion and soon Fallout)? or Bioware for including DLC with the GH release of Mass Effect? I will be picking this up as I like the game and now I don't have to buy any DLC.

GotY editions, like those of Oblivion and Fallout, are great service to gamers. If you wait long enough, you get all the content at a lesser price. And it doesn't screw over the people who supported the game throughout, because there isn't any exclusive content or new achievements. This, though, I don't like. Oh well.

[quote name='Corvin']Speak with your wallets. Don't reward Lucasarts for this double-dip nonsense. If the game tanks, that exclusive will be DLC sooner than you know it. If not, rent the game. Don't give Lucasarts your money for such blatant "screw our fans" strategies.[/QUOTE]

What about those of us who haven't bought the game yet? Besides, who's to say that this won't release at a lower price? I wouldn't be surprised if this was like Mass Effect - a Platinum Hits title, but with extra content added.

If it's $20? They've got my money. If it's $50? Nope.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']GotY editions, like those of Oblivion and Fallout, are great service to gamers. If you wait long enough, you get all the content at a lesser price. And it doesn't screw over the people who supported the game throughout, because there isn't any exclusive content or new achievements. This, though, I don't like. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Re-read the press release. There is exclusive content on this new version. It screws everyone that already supported the game and made it a hit. All the other games you mention didn't do anything of the like.

[quote name='Corvin']Re-read the press release. There is exclusive content on this new version. It screws everyone that already supported the game and made it a hit. All the other games you mention didn't do anything of the like.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't "screw" anyone over. This is a little like buying a copy of, say, Dark Side of the Moon and then getting offended when, a year later, there's a rerelease with a few demos added to the end of the album. Yeah, the demos might be nice...but it doesn't change the fact that the core product is the same.

When you buy a game, you buy it for the game - as in, what's on the disc when you purchase it. You're never guaranteed DLC, and you're never guaranteed that there won't be a newer, better version of the game released down the road (like the Mass Effect bonus disc, or Gears of War with all of the formerly DLC maps included). Game of the Year style rereleases usually have DLC or new content that the first release didn't include, but those have existed for a few decades now and I don't see anyone boycotting publishers over it.

Bottom line: it's one mission that's being included in an attempt to help generate sales and to give people a little bit of incentive not to go to GameStop and get the cheaper, used copy of the game.

Yes, it might be DLC down the line...but even if it's not, your life won't be a hollow empty shell without it, and the fact remains that up until now, you enjoyed the game without this content. I can play Arkham Asylum without the Joker levels, and I can play Assassin's Creed 2 without the GameStop preorder level. Guess what? They'll still be fun! Ideally, all content would exist for all consoles and all editions of a game...but that's not how the industry works these days, and if I don't give LucasArts my $20 that won't change anything.

WTF?
I just passed the Jedi Temple mission on Sith Lord Difficulty and did not receive the achievement. Has any one else here had the same problem?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']What about those of us who haven't bought the game yet? Besides, who's to say that this won't release at a lower price? I wouldn't be surprised if this was like Mass Effect - a Platinum Hits title, but with extra content added.

If it's $20? They've got my money. If it's $50? Nope.[/QUOTE]

It'll probably be $29.99.

bread's done
Back